PDA

View Full Version : James hurting

cogitans
12-05-2007, 03:05 PM
How do you like that for timing?

James hurting (http://nc.startribune.com/blogs/vikings/?p=1194)

by Judd Zulgad

The Vikings will not only be without suspended right defensive end Ray Edwards for Sunday’s game at San Francisco, but Erasmus James’ availability also could be in doubt.

James did not participate Wednesday during the portion of practice that was open to the media and had a wrap on his left knee. Coach Brad Childress said that James had “banged his knee a little bit” in Sunday’s game against Detroit.

Marrdro
12-05-2007, 03:07 PM
Now that really makes the whole Edwards issue a bit more desparate.
Does anyone know if we have any DE's on the practice squad?

jessejames09
12-05-2007, 03:07 PM
"cogitans" wrote:

How do you like that for timing?

James hurting (http://nc.startribune.com/blogs/vikings/?p=1194)

by Judd Zulgad

The Vikings will not only be without suspended right defensive end Ray Edwards for Sunday’s game at San Francisco, but Erasmus James’ availability also could be in doubt.

James did not participate Wednesday during the portion of practice that was open to the media and had a wrap on his left knee. Coach Brad Childress said that James had “banged his knee a little bit” in Sunday’s game against Detroit.

Brian Robison with 5 sacks, what!?

BadlandsVikings
12-05-2007, 03:09 PM
Just give him some Domoso and he'll be fine......

....I wonder if horse drugs are the NFL substance abuse list

mountainviking
12-05-2007, 03:12 PM
Doh!!
Hopefully, its just a little soreness from his first big game back...

I like Robison just fine, but he'll need some breaks too.
Time for the 3-4?
Pass rushing Dontarious "Reindeer" Thomas?
Or, maybe Farwell or Vinnie?

jessejames09
12-05-2007, 03:13 PM
"Marrdro" wrote:

I don't think so marrdro, we had Scott, Udeze, James, Edwards, Robison, and Mitchell at DE to start the season. We had so many Scott was playing a lot of DT too.

I think chiller knew about the suspension coming up. Why else would he take 5 DE's into a game. Now it all makes sense why James was starting. He was setting the other 4 up for the rest of the season. Trying to prepare them for more of a workload.

tastywaves
12-05-2007, 03:16 PM
"Marrdro" wrote:

If James can't go, I think that leaves us with 3 DE's.
Udeze, Robison and Mitchell.
I don't think we have any on the practice squad.
Darrion Scott was put on injured reserve a while back.

AngloVike
12-05-2007, 03:17 PM
I'm hoping that James doesn't turn out to be injury prone... just when you need him to step and be ready this happens - sheesh

Marrdro
12-05-2007, 03:17 PM
"jessejames09" wrote:

"Marrdro" wrote:

I don't think so marrdro, we had Scott, Udeze, James, Edwards, Robison, and Mitchell at DE to start the season. We had so many Scott was playing a lot of DT too.

I think chiller knew about the suspension coming up. Why else would he take 5 DE's into a game. Now it all makes sense why James was starting. He was setting the other 4 up for the rest of the season. Trying to prepare them for more of a workload.

Hey, look at it this way then, we now have room to carry an extra WR on the roster this weekend.

Go Allison.
;D

jessejames09
12-05-2007, 03:21 PM
"Marrdro" wrote:

"jessejames09" wrote:

"Marrdro" wrote:

Hey, look at it this way then, we now have room to carry an extra WR on the roster this weekend.

Go Allison.
;D

GO 84

Overlord
12-05-2007, 03:29 PM
"AngloVike" wrote:

I'm hoping that James doesn't turn out to be injury prone... just when you need him to step and be ready this happens - sheesh

I think you're late to the party on this one.
James already has turned out to be injury prone.
Or as one guy commented in the Zulag article:

"Blog" wrote:

Wow…James is hurt? What’s next, you gonna tell me that T.Will cant catch?!

Put another way, James has played in only 23 of 44 games since he was drafted.

That's a possibility, but I think that it probably had more to do with the Lions' offensive gameplan.
Rushing the passer is hard work and wears the guys down.
You want a lot of guys to rotate in and out so that they stay fresh and can still get after the passer in the fourth quarter.
I just think that, knowing the Lions would pass 80% of the time, getting a consistant pass rush was a priority this game.

AngloVike
12-05-2007, 03:43 PM
"Overlord" wrote:

"AngloVike" wrote:

I think you're late to the party on this one.
James already has turned out to be injury prone.
Or as one guy commented in the Zulag article:

"Blog" wrote:

Wow…James is hurt? What’s next, you gonna tell me that T.Will cant catch?!

Put another way, James has played in only 23 of 44 games since he was drafted.

Thanks for the figures, I hadn't realised that he'd missed as many games as that ! So that does make a little behind on that issue

bleedpurple
12-05-2007, 03:48 PM
I think we'll still be fine... it's not like we had a dominant pass rush anyway... we just may end up blitzing more.. which could be a good thing...

Either way... he'll probably be alright... and if he's not... activate Donatarious have him put a hand on the ground and go for the QB...

PurplePeopleEaters
12-05-2007, 03:56 PM
"jessejames09" wrote:

"Marrdro" wrote:

Key word had. We now have 3 healthy Ends if James can't play. Not good.

Frostbite
12-05-2007, 04:02 PM
Add to this we are expecting rain (Heavy at times) on Thursday and Friday here. The field will be covered (I Think) but it wouldn't surprise me if the grounds crew leave the tarps off as a tactic to slow down A.P. It could get very unstable in the trenches in Sundays game as Monster park is natural grass. I am hopeful that field conditions by Sunday will be ok.??

Cheers!

bleedpurple
12-05-2007, 04:04 PM
either way.. it will affect them just as much...

Zeus
12-05-2007, 04:04 PM
"Frostbite" wrote:

Add to this we are expecting rain (Heavy at times) on Thursday and Friday here. The field will be covered (I Think) but it wouldn't surprise me if the grounds crew leave the tarps off as a tactic to slow down A.P. It could get very unstable in the trenches in Sundays game as Monster park is natural grass. I am hopeful that field conditions by Sunday will be ok.??

Cheers!

Leaving the field uncovered would result in MASSIVE fines from the NFL for the Niners.

=Z=

Frostbite
12-05-2007, 04:10 PM
"Zeus" wrote:

"Frostbite" wrote:

Cheers!

Leaving the field uncovered would result in MASSIVE fines from the NFL for the Niners.=Z=

Yep....but money they got...it's tallent they lack....The only reason I thought about that is because they used this tactic before out here against potent running offenses....They did it a lot in the 80s....at then Candlestick Park. At this point in the 49er season that would be just another low point if they tried this....I am hoping they do the right thing...cover the field and just come out and take there beating like men!

Cheers!

stateVIKE44
12-05-2007, 04:33 PM
I say let Fred Evans or Spencer Johnson come in and play some DT and move K-Will out to DE, I think K-Will is a good enough athlete to at least take a few snaps out there, especially on first and second down.

bleedpurple
12-05-2007, 04:35 PM
you know... they just may end up doing that anyway... or they could just sign Simeon Rice for like a week or so.. then cut him like everyone else

ThorSPL
12-05-2007, 05:15 PM
Isn't Evans still suspended?

GreenBaySlackers
12-05-2007, 05:25 PM
"ThorSPL" wrote:

Isn't Evans still suspended?

yep...

Vikes_King
12-05-2007, 06:06 PM
luckily this game is the 9ers.. not taking anythign away from them, but hopefully we can limit their offense with out having the extra DE(s) in there.. we'll see how it affects us sunday :

funkyasflea
12-05-2007, 07:26 PM
I think we'll be fine with the DEs we have.
K and P Williams can look a lot of DEs look good seeing how much attention they get.
For the first time this season I feel pretty comfortable about this game.

marstc09
12-05-2007, 08:25 PM
In was excited when we drafted him. I wish he could stay on the field.

grpape
12-05-2007, 08:55 PM
"bleedpurple" wrote:

you know... they just may end up doing that anyway... or they could just sign Simeon Rice for like a week or so.. then cut him like everyone else

Yup there could be a Semen signing soon.

UndisputedVike
12-07-2007, 03:27 PM
Friday, December 07, 2007
James going on IR
Erasmus James' comeback from 2006 knee surgery came to an abrupt end today when coach Brad Childress announced that the Vikings would be placing their third-year defensive end on season-ending injured reserve.

http://www.vikingsnow.blogspot.com/

IBleedPurple11
12-07-2007, 03:31 PM
"UndisputedVike" wrote:

Friday, December 07, 2007
James going on IR
Erasmus James' comeback from 2006 knee surgery came to an abrupt end today when coach Brad Childress announced that the Vikings would be placing their third-year defensive end on season-ending injured reserve.

http://www.vikingsnow.blogspot.com/

damn. that is 2 DE's down in 1 week. BRING ON BRIAN ROBISON!!! HELL YA!!

clark_griswold
12-07-2007, 03:34 PM
I love that Robison will be getting a lot of reps, but I also want to see Jayme Mitchell come on strong filling in on both sides. He played well last week.

DustinDupont
12-07-2007, 03:37 PM
that really hurts to lose both ray and james but we just gotta have guys step up.... it is ur time to shine robison

NodakPaul
12-07-2007, 03:38 PM
Go Robison!
I think he and Mitchell will look very strong against the San Fran OL!

Garland Greene
12-07-2007, 03:54 PM
Great for Robison, but bad for our DL overall. Especially since Our Pass rush, even though improved still has some wekness for the team. I am sure we will look at picking up someoe just don't think there is anyone out there that can help. To bad we didn't p/u Rice when he was available earlier in the season.

COJOMAY
12-07-2007, 03:58 PM
Rice hasn't done squat and been cut by everyone this year. Robinson will do fine at rushing from the side.

vikingivan
12-07-2007, 03:59 PM
"NodakPaul" wrote:

Go Robison!
I think he and Mitchell will look very strong against the San Fran OL!

Myself and others on this site have been saying that Robison needs to get more snaps.
It looks like we will finally get our wish.
Let's hope Robison makes us look good.

DustinDupont
12-07-2007, 04:00 PM
"Garland" wrote:

Great for Robison, but bad for our DL overall. Especially since Our Pass rush, even though improved still has some wekness for the team. I am sure we will look at picking up someoe just don't think there is anyone out there that can help. To bad we didn't p/u Rice when he was available earlier in the season.

we did pick up a player from carolina's ps, i forget his name though... but rice just
got released by indy so he is out there too

Schutz
12-07-2007, 04:01 PM
The backups on the DL get a chance to step up.
Sometimes you can find some good players when put into positions like this.
Maybe Robinson shows he's an every down player.
Or someone else gets the adrenaline going and makes some plays.

Also you can see AP wants some more playing time.
Why not have him rush from the End?

vikesfargo
12-07-2007, 04:02 PM
Rats. James was really good in college and looked good in training camp sometime ago. Then he hurt his knee. Now he comes back and his knee gets hurt again.

He's got another big hill to climb.

I say give him all the support in the world and be very conservative before bringing him back.

Of course, there's a chance he might not be able to come back. Even then, though, he's got to rehab the knee.

I hope Erasmus can heal up and come back strong.

BadlandsVikings
12-07-2007, 04:09 PM
To avoid other injuries the teams needs to wrap itself in foam and bubble wrap.

Garland Greene
12-07-2007, 04:12 PM
"COJOMAY" wrote:

Rice hasn't done squat and been cut by everyone this year. Robinson will do fine at rushing from the side.

I am all for Robison starting and more than glad he will finally get a chance we ar ejust a little thin at DE and could use some semi decent back-up.

jessejames09
12-07-2007, 04:18 PM
Read this article and just be happy we have Robo-sack.

http://www.startribune.com/sports/vikings/11704756.html

I know it's old, but it helps us understand how much of a beast Robison really is.
So does he get 3 or 4 sacks? :D

funkyasflea
12-07-2007, 04:31 PM
I still think we will do just fine either way.
The Williams's get so much attention that our ends will have a lot of blockers taken up by them.
Then, once they think they have big Pat's number 1v1, he'll get one of his Fat pat sacks

IBleedPurple11
12-07-2007, 04:58 PM
http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1212/1374575707_7b5b16066a.jpg?v=0

Sack Lunch. Yum yum yum yum yum yum yum.

Robison is gonna be full by the end of the 49ers game!

Im glad to see him get more playing time, hope he takes the starting role after this week.

James- get better, but take your time.

MetalMike-LoudVike
12-07-2007, 05:06 PM
he comes around he looks sharp then he gets hurt and fights all season to get a starting job, get it then he gets hurt why does this seem like deja vue??

funkyasflea
12-07-2007, 05:33 PM
I don't know about James...he is decent when he is healthy...but he is never healthy.
I feel more comfortable with Robison after thinking about it more.
Pat and Keving do a great job of stuffing the run with the help of our LBs.
We need a constant pass rush threat, and he is our guy there.
That will put more pressure on them to attempt the run more often, which gives our secondary less of a chace to blow coverage on someone (which has been happening less and less lately.
I need to give them credit where credit is due)

Mr Anderson
12-07-2007, 05:40 PM
WTF were they doing at a Friday practice that he could get reinjured severely enough to be put on IR?......

I know he was hurt to begin with, but come on, it's a friday practice.

ThorSPL
12-07-2007, 06:10 PM
"Mr" wrote:

WTF were they doing at a Friday practice that he could get reinjured severely enough to be put on IR?......

I'm sure he was going on IR before today's practice..... or the practice was to see if he could play with it.

funkyasflea
12-07-2007, 06:23 PM
"Mr" wrote:

True, especially if they know he is hurting, take it easy on him

tke0933
12-07-2007, 06:36 PM
Like a lot of us, I was expecting good/great things from James when we drafted him.
Maybe I read between the lines too much, but according to an article I saw, Childress is ready to write him off as being "injury prone" and moving on without him.
I think he would be able to help our pass rush.
He just needs to have the proper amount of time to heal, if we can afford it.

PurpleTide
12-07-2007, 06:38 PM
Dang it all, this guy has busted his hump to get back on the field and when he finally gets his starting job back he hurts himself again. DE has gone from a strength on this team to needing our backups to step up. Mitchell, and Robison will get the playing time they've been after, let's hope that with the lack of rotation that these guys can stay strong down the stretch run this season. I believe they can shine. Anyway you slice it this does hurt our ability to keep guys fresh into the late stages of a game. My heart goes to Erasmus, and I hope he can get ready and be the player we think he can next year. Keep your head up my friend.

PackSux!
12-07-2007, 06:41 PM
I am sad that James got hurt but i am happier that Robison gets the chance to shine even more then he has already.
Robison sorta reminds me of Kampman of the pukers, i want to see Robison try to bull rush them tackles instead of always trying to blow by them.
If he mixes it up he will get the tackles guessing on what he is going to do, Robison is so explosive off the line and if the tackle has to even think about what he is going to do it will be to late to stop him.
Fractions of seconds are huge when it comes to pass rushing.

Once Robison masters the art of the bullrush he will be one of the greatest.

CCthebest
12-07-2007, 07:20 PM
I wonder what the vikes are paying him. He certainly isnt worth it....been hurt ever since he became a vike

Frostbite
12-07-2007, 07:26 PM
"CCthebest" wrote:

I wonder what the vikes are paying him. He certainly isnt worth it....been hurt ever since he became a vike

Not so sure about that....I seem to recall a guy named Chad Greenway who sat out with the ACL (Knee) for a long time and now he's back playing strong. I think James just needs time to completely heal up. I hope we don't give up on him and at least allow him to rehab it over the off-season and then take a look at him again inT.Camp in 08. I have a feeling he could come back and be a great contributor in the future.

Cheers!

SKOL
12-07-2007, 08:36 PM
Reading into Childress words it almosts sounds like Erasmus wasn't fully recovered to begin with:

"It really is because he has had some setbacks rehab-wise, second surgery-wise, but he just kept pushing and pushing and pushing through there,” Childress said. “He was to the point where he could put it on the field and bring it pretty good, and it just tells you how fragile those things are. I think that the only silver lining on this, if there is one, is the fact that I am told that it is only the ACL. Before he had an MCL involved in it and some other things, some other components that required a bunch of rehab, so I would think he will be able to deal with this and deal with it pretty quickly. You have got to remember that he just played a full football game with no effects, so the knee is strong and he just needs to get that fixed."

Some of the statement makes very little sense, such as, "the knee is strong and he just needs to get that fixed." ??

I'm eager to see Robison, but our depth is getting thin.
D. Scott out, then Edwards, now James.
At some point it will effect performance on the field.

NordicNed
12-07-2007, 09:18 PM
I hate to say it but, why does EJ even deserve more than a 10 word sentence?....

He's hurt, has always been hurt, and hasn't done a thing for this team so far...

sorry, thats 15 words......

jessejames09
12-07-2007, 09:51 PM
"Frostbite" wrote:

"CCthebest" wrote:

Not so sure about that....I seem to recall a guy named Chad Greenway who sat out with the ACL (Knee) for a long time and now he's back playing strong. I think James just needs time to completely heal up. I hope we don't give up on him and at least allow him to rehab it over the off-season and then take a look at him again inT.Camp in 08. I have a feeling he could come back and be a great contributor in the future.

Cheers!

I can't tell if that post is from last year or this year. I guess it's applicable for both.

PurplePowerPunch
12-07-2007, 09:58 PM
I feel so bad for the guy too. He had nagging knee injuries in college also. He has tried so hard to mget back on the field for us. These injuries keep robbing him of his career. Robinson and Mitchell should be able to hold it down for the rest of the season.

SKOL VIKES!!! 8)

cogitans
12-08-2007, 03:28 AM
Oft-injured James on IR (http://www.twincities.com/ci_7665147?source=rss&nclick_check=1)

Defensive end might need third surgery on left knee

BY DON SEEHOLZER
Pioneer Press

marstc09
12-08-2007, 09:21 AM
I think it is time to move on without him. How long can we keep this guy on the roster and not have him contribute? I am sorry James and I was excited about you since I am a Wisconsin Badger fan but we need to let you go.

singersp
12-08-2007, 09:33 AM
"grpape" wrote:

"bleedpurple" wrote:

??? What's on your mind?
:P

singersp
12-08-2007, 11:08 AM
Vikings put Erasmus James on injured reserve after second knee injury (http://www.usatoday.com/sports/football/2007-12-07-2315627993_x.htm)

Posted 19h 35m ago

By Jon Krawczynski, AP Sports Writer
usatoday.com

EDEN PRAIRIE, Minn. — Erasmus James' comeback from major knee surgery lasted all of three or four plays ......

huxx
12-08-2007, 11:22 AM
It's time to cut him loose.
I had big hopes for him, but we knew he was injury prone when we drafted him.

singersp
12-08-2007, 12:14 PM
Vikings: Return is shortlived as James goes on IR (http://www.startribune.com/sports/vikings/12257246.html)

The former Badgers defensive end is done for the season as he reinjured his anterior cruciate ligament in his left knee.

By Judd Zulgad, Star Tribune

Last update: December 7, 2007 - 9:50 PM

Erasmus James' comeback from a knee injury suffered early in the 2006 season seemed to be complete Sunday when he started his first game of the year at right defensive end....

V4L
12-08-2007, 01:10 PM
We have tons of young talented DE's

Time to let him go.. Hopefully he can get healthy and have a good NFL career

jargomcfargo
12-08-2007, 01:23 PM
He will need an ACL reconstruction. It's late in the season. He isn't likely to be ready to go by the start of next season. Very sad. It might be the end of his career. I hope not.
There is no reason to let him go yet. See how the surgery and rehab goes, then make a decision next training camp.
This guy showed a lot of promise. I suspect his surgery wasn't quite right last time. He had the second surgery and may have pushed too hard too soon. I remember Culpeppers knee wasn't very good last year, but looks much better this year.
Greenway had a good outcome. But not everyone is as lucky.

James doesn't deserve to be disrespected because he got injured!

I wish him the best.

V4L
12-08-2007, 01:27 PM
"jargomcfargo" wrote:

He will need an ACL reconstruction. It's late in the season. He isn't likely to be ready to go by the start of next season. Very sad. It might be the end of his career. I hope not.
There is no reason to let him go yet. See how the surgery and rehab goes, then make a decision next training camp.
This guy showed a lot of promise. I suspect his surgery wasn't quite right last time. He had the second surgery and may have pushed too hard too soon. I remember Culpeppers knee wasn't very good last year, but looks much better this year.

I wish him the best.

We all wish him the best not only as a player but a human and a Viking

But I think he needs to be let go

Mitchell, Edwards, Udeze, Robison.. We have tons of young talent

Hopefully Rasmus does come back healthy.. But I think we need to just let him go

That would be sad to see our 2 first round picks go from a couple years back.. T-will and Rasmus

WOW

grpape
12-09-2007, 02:24 PM
"singersp" wrote:

"grpape" wrote:

"bleedpurple" wrote:

??? What's on your mind?
:P

It's snowing outside (never mind I live in Hawaii). But yeah.....that's it.......it's snowing outside. ;D

jessejames09
12-09-2007, 03:00 PM
"V4L" wrote:

"jargomcfargo" wrote:

I wish him the best.

We all wish him the best not only as a player but a human and a Viking

But I think he needs to be let go

Mitchell, Edwards, Udeze, Robison.. We have tons of young talent

Hopefully Rasmus does come back healthy.. But I think we need to just let him go

That would be sad to see our 2 first round picks go from a couple years back.. T-will and Rasmus

WOW

I would like to keep rasmus. But history keeps repeating itself with him, and he's defiantly our highest earning end. We should cut him loose because we're going to have to get another end for depth in the offseason anyways, or a starter if need be.

He will likely sit on the pup list for the first 6 weeks of next year too then, judging by jargosstatement.

purplepowered
12-09-2007, 03:47 PM
I tell you what, I am not totally sold on our coach yet, but his dfarting is pretty damn good. As far as DE Robison will be a good replacement. I hope, he does well in pass rush i think he will be fine
in rush stopping also, he is too a beast!! Gotta love it.....I cant stand waiting for the #15 game this SUCKS>

http://www.purplepride.org/media/kunena/attachments/legacy/images/100_3846.jpg (http://www.purplepride.org/media/kunena/attachments/legacy/images/100_3846.jpg)

purplepowered
12-09-2007, 03:51 PM
I think Robison will fit in good on run stuffing I know he is a great pas rusher and with the frasier defense we have he should fit in fine. I dont know about the practice squad DEs. But I am still not sold on soach yet although our draft personel is awesome, I must say that, we know how to draft! We just need to use them a little more in thier proper positions!

http://www.purplepride.org/media/kunena/attachments/legacy/images/100_3846.jpg (http://www.purplepride.org/media/kunena/attachments/legacy/images/100_3846.jpg)

vikesfargo
12-09-2007, 04:17 PM
The latest injury to Erasmus is not as bad as his previous one. He'll be back, and let's hope we're smart enough to keep him. He'll be good when he gets back.