PDA

View Full Version : Richardson and the Offensive Line

651Vikes
12-04-2007, 02:47 AM
I don't want to sound like a broken record but...

I feel real good about the Vikings chances to get to the playoffs with this unit's production. Best running game in the league all because these guys are pretty dominant. They showed it again against the Lion's very good Defensive front. Richardson also does not get enough credit for this rushing attack as well. If you watch this guy, you will see him open up big holes for our backs consistenly.

Man, if they keep this up.. We would be the scariest team going into the playoffs.

I try not to compare teams to much, but we do somewhat mimic the Stealers of 2005. They had an dominant running game, dominant rushing defense, and a developing Big Ben. Although they had more proven talent in other areas too but we are in the NFC. They were struggling in the first half of the season looking for answers. But because of their play style, came back strong in the second half of the season and took it all the way. I'm excited! Don't slap me back to reality yet, I like this dream I'm in.

Anyways, I posted this to give props to our Offensive Line and Tony Richardson. Since people tend to forget to mention them in our Ws.

Vikes_King
12-04-2007, 03:57 AM
Richardson isn't as overlooked as you mentioned, last i heard he was leading the NFC in votes for the pro bowl, not positive tho

Marrdro
12-04-2007, 09:20 AM
Nor is OL ignored.
Stick around and read a few of my posts, I am either on them for screwing the pooch (early in the year) or praising them for doing good.

hx38596
12-04-2007, 10:10 AM
"Marrdro" wrote:

Nor is OL ignored.
Stick around and read a few of my posts, I am either on them for screwing the pooch (early in the year) or praising them for doing good.

Yeah, the OL are NOT getting ignored at all in the most important category....
When their huge monthly check comes rolling in, just about the largest combined for any O-line (USA Today).

And
me thinks Richardson leads FB's, but i can't find it... just heard it.

Purple D
12-04-2007, 10:16 AM
"hx38596" wrote:

"Marrdro" wrote:

Nor is OL ignored.

Yeah, the OL are NOT getting ignored at all in the most important category....
When their huge monthly check comes rolling in, just about the largest combined for any O-line (USA Today).

And
me thinks Richardson leads FB's, but i can't find it... just heard it.

Richardson should be leading the votes in the NFC,
I don't think any other FB in the NFC is doing any better.
He has been leading the way through the wholes our line has caused and helping AD and CT break some big runs.
I would really like to see 5 or more Vikings in the Probowl this year.

PurpleTide
12-04-2007, 10:22 AM
These guys are as dominant a line as we've ever had. Ever since Childress named Herrera starter, they have come together. Tony Richarson has been knocking LBer's heads for a long time, and a trip to the pro-bowl for him would be well deserved. Keep paving the way guys.

jmcdon00
12-04-2007, 11:01 AM
"651Vikes" wrote:

I feel real good about the Vikings chances to get to the playoffs with this unit's production. Best running game in the league all because these guys are pretty dominant. They showed it again against the Lion's very good Defensive front. Richardson also does not get enough credit for this rushing attack as well. If you watch this guy, you will see him open up big holes for our backs consistenly.

Man, if they keep this up.. We would be the scariest team going into the playoffs.

I try not to compare teams to much, but we do somewhat mimic the Stealers of 2005. They had an dominant running game, dominant rushing defense, and a developing Big Ben. Although they had more proven talent in other areas too but we are in the NFC. They were struggling in the first half of the season looking for answers. But because of their play style, came back strong in the second half of the season and took it all the way. I'm excited! Don't slap me back to reality yet, I like this dream I'm in.

Anyways, I posted this to give props to our Offensive Line and Tony Richardson. Since people tend to forget to mention them in our Ws.

Good post, I like your comparison to the 2005 steelers, I never though of that. Hopefully the vikings can have the same results(although winning the superbowl would be pretty darn tough if it's the patriots). More likely though they are just building towards a great 2008 season and beyond.

tastywaves
12-04-2007, 11:14 AM
Even though I don't focus much on the offensive line play, its pretty obvious that great teams have great line play.
Look at the best QB's in the league and look at the protection they get (NE, Indy, GB, Dallas).

I agree that the biggest thing we can point at for are last 2 dominating wins is the OL play.
This is what we were expecting earlier in the season.
Better late then never, hopefully it maintains, because they are making us a good team.

Marrdro
12-04-2007, 11:59 AM
I anticipate them, based on his play this year and presumed progress next year, signing Cook to a long term contract sometime in the next year or so.

When that is done we will have a pretty damn good line for quiet a few years.

Hey, were are all the guys tired of watching this team be wasted at today?
Wasted my ass.
:o

"Anyone notice I have been a bit grumpy with my posts today?"
Sorry for that.
;D

vikes2456
12-04-2007, 12:05 PM
"Marrdro" wrote:

Nor is OL ignored.

I'm pretty sure you were placing all the blame no Childress :)

Vikes_King
12-04-2007, 12:05 PM
"Marrdro" wrote:

I anticipate them, based on his play this year and presumed progress next year, signing Cook to a long term contract sometime in the next year or so.

When that is done we will have a pretty damn good line for quiet a few years.

Hey, were are all the guys tired of watching this team be wasted at today?
Wasted my ass.
:o

"Anyone notice I have been a bit grumpy with my posts today?"
Sorry for that.

;D

i hope so, everyone was hard on him when he was first named starter, and rightfully so.
He was a little rough around the edges at first.. but watch him closely vs the 49ers, as i've been watching him the past few games.
He's been playing well each game, and has shown mobility getting out and springing key blocks

ultravikingfan
12-04-2007, 12:06 PM
"tastywaves" wrote:

Even though I don't focus much on the offensive line play, its pretty obvious that great teams have great line play.
Look at the best QB's in the league and look at the protection they get (NE, Indy, GB, Dallas).

I agree that the biggest thing we can point at for are last 2 dominating wins is the OL play.
Better late then never, hopefully it maintains, because they are making us a good team.

Good teams have good lines, period.

To me, a solid line is the foundation for a good offense.
You can have all the weapons, but without a good line you are nothing.

Prophet
12-04-2007, 03:37 PM
The lines are where it's at, I'm drooling just thinking about it.

bleedpurple
12-04-2007, 04:04 PM
"ultravikingfan" wrote:

"tastywaves" wrote:

That's true but those teams QB's also get rid of the ball quickly.. and TJ's been doing that the last few games.. and even if he doesnt and takes a sack, he'll only loose like 5 yards tops...

as far as the o-line.. Cook's been playing pretty good actually... I think the move to Anthony herrera has been the biggest improvement and that's pretty much when things started to click for us together as a line..

Marrdro
12-05-2007, 10:09 AM
"bleedpurple" wrote:

"ultravikingfan" wrote:

"tastywaves" wrote:

That's true but those teams QB's also get rid of the ball quickly.. and TJ's been doing that the last few games.. and even if he doesnt and takes a sack, he'll only loose like 5 yards tops...

as far as the o-line.. Cook's been playing pretty good actually... I think the move to Anthony herrera has been the biggest improvement and that's pretty much when things started to click for us together as a line..

I kindof disagree with you on that my friend.
Although most good QB's do have quick releases, the deep ball doesn't happen off of a quick release.
It is predicated on the fact that the OL gives the QB and WR time for that pay to develop.

Simple math.
A WR normally runs something along the lines of 4.3-4.5 second 40 yard times.
Throw in a bump at the line (.5 sec) a couple of fakes (.5 sec) and another second (1) for other stuff (i.e. longer route than 40) and the QB needs to have at least 6 to 7 seconds to throw the ball.

That my friend has nothing to do with a quick release and everything to do with the time an OL gives/allows the QB.
;D

BleedinPandG
12-05-2007, 12:25 PM
"Marrdro" wrote:

"bleedpurple" wrote:

"ultravikingfan" wrote:

"tastywaves" wrote:

Although most good QB's do have quick releases, the deep ball doesn't happen off of a quick release.
It is predicated on the fact that the OL gives the QB and WR time for that pay to develop.

Simple math.
Throw in a bump at the line (.5 sec) a couple of fakes (.5 sec) and another second (1) for other stuff (i.e. longer route than 40) and the QB needs to have at least 6 to 7 seconds to throw the ball.

That my friend has nothing to do with a quick release and everything to do with the time an OL gives/allows the QB.
;D

Your math is faulty... you assume it takes no time from when the QB throws the ball to when the WR catches it... it may take the Wideout 6 seconds to get to his spot 40 yards down the field but the QB threw the ball 2 seconds before he got there... QBs are NOT stnading in the pocket 7 seconds before throwing the ball.

Lets face it, a good QB makes an OLine look good... a good OLine makes a QB look good, they compliment each other.
GB does NOT have a great OLine, they just happen to have a great QB who can read defenses, anticipate blitzes, call audibles, and adjust so the OLine doesn't have nearly as much pressure to perform.
With our young developing QB and run first offense, we need a great OLine and we have the makings of it.
I would also like to see them bring in a journeyman type linemen in the draft though as we have a few guys who are past the 6 year mark.
Our OLine is only an injury away from having major issues again...

marstc09
12-05-2007, 12:34 PM
"651Vikes" wrote:

I have been saying this. He is the key to the rushing attack. When he was out we did not rush very well.

lakehubertviking
12-05-2007, 12:52 PM
Let's talk more about the Vikings running game, which is first in the league in rushing, some 35 yards more than second-place Jacksonville. Like we've said all year, the Vikings' offensive line, anchored by Pro Bowl guard Steve Hutchinson, can be dominant at times. Childress praised that unit Monday, but he didn't stop there. "I believe that the wide receivers blocked probably as well as I have seen," Childress said. "I had an official at the end of the game tell me, 'Coach, I don't think I have ever seen wide receivers block like this since I have been officiating in the National Football League,' which is quite a statement."

That is a good compliment, especially coming from an official.
It seems like on many long runs AD has a big hole with a second level block by a TE or OL then a WR shoving a DB down the field.

http://sports.espn.go.com/fantasy/football/ffl/story?page=aroundthenfc1204

mountainviking
12-05-2007, 12:59 PM
Richardson is freakin awesome!!!!!
So many times I've seen him level someone, seal the corner, etc...and then, go get another block downfield!!!
I had a realization this morning...we only signed him for 2 or 3 years, right?
Anyone know off hand if we've got him locked up for next year?

I would certainly like to see him continue playing for the Vikes!!!!!!!

lakehubertviking
12-05-2007, 01:03 PM
I think he's a UFA after this year.

Other Free Agent Full Backs
Mike Alstott UFA Tampa Bay Buccaneers
Brad Hoover UFA Carolina Panthers
Tony Richardson UFA Minnesota Vikings
Derrick Wimbush RFA Jacksonville Jaguars

http://footballsfuture.com/2008/nfl/freeagentsRB.html

Marrdro
12-05-2007, 01:07 PM
"BleedinPandG" wrote:

"Marrdro" wrote:

"bleedpurple" wrote:

"ultravikingfan" wrote:

"tastywaves" wrote:

Simple math.

;D

Your math is faulty... you assume it takes no time from when the QB throws the ball to when the WR catches it... it may take the Wideout 6 seconds to get to his spot 40 yards down the field but the QB threw the ball 2 seconds before he got there... QBs are NOT stnading in the pocket 7 seconds before throwing the ball.
Lets face it, a good QB makes an OLine look good... a good OLine makes a QB look good, they compliment each other.
GB does NOT have a great OLine, they just happen to have a great QB who can read defenses, anticipate blitzes, call audibles, and adjust so the OLine doesn't have nearly as much pressure to perform.
With our young developing QB and run first offense, we need a great OLine and we have the makings of it.
I would also like to see them bring in a journeyman type linemen in the draft though as we have a few guys who are past the 6 year mark.

Your math is just as flawed as mine my friend.
;D
You ever heard of a 7 step drop? You ever heard of a progression of reads?

Back to my statement, a quick release has nothing to do with the long pass my friend.
A quick release is important for passes like the quick slant, quick out etc.
A long pass, on the other hand, requires the QB to delay (hold onto the ball longer) his release as the WR runs his route.
This equates to the OL having to provide the time for him to do that.

mountainviking
12-05-2007, 01:11 PM
Hmm, its been 13 years...wonder if he's thinking about retiring?
Doesn't look like it when he's on the field
;D

IMHO, they should be talking to him about signing an extension right now!
Or, looking for his replacement...Dugan?

bleedpurple
12-05-2007, 01:48 PM
"Marrdro" wrote:

"BleedinPandG" wrote:

"Marrdro" wrote:

"bleedpurple" wrote:

"ultravikingfan" wrote:

Simple math.

;D

;D

Back to my statement, a quick release has nothing to do with the long pass my friend.
A long pass, on the other hand, requires the QB to delay (hold onto the ball longer) his release as the WR runs his route.

That may be all fine.. but i never said OL play wasn't important.... or necessary.. That's effin obvious....you need time to throw the football period!!!
but i don't see what that has to do with him getting rid of the ball quickly (not necessarily a quick release but knowing where to go with the ball on a given play)... most good QB's get rid of the ball quickly, that's why Peyton and Brady don't get sacked that often....
You act like we throw the deep ball on every down...!!!
you disagreeing with my statement makes no sense... marr

Remember Daunte' holding the ball forever??? We had a good line then, but he had no clue where to go with it.. so he held on to the ball and fumbled half the time...

V-Unit
12-05-2007, 02:07 PM
"Marrdro" wrote:

"BleedinPandG" wrote:

"Marrdro" wrote:

"bleedpurple" wrote:

"ultravikingfan" wrote:

Simple math.

;D

;D

No it isn't.
A seven step drop takes 7 seconds? Haha.
A QB should be able to go through 3 reads of his progression in 5 seconds MAX. After that he is either scrambling or throwing the ball away. The 3rd/4th read is usually a dump off or a checkdown.

- On The Deep Bomb to Williamson vs. Chicago, TJ drops back, fakes a handoff, waits for TW to get open, and delivers the ball in 4 seconds. Great protection. 4 seconds.
- On the Deep Bomb to Rice vs. NYG, TJ drops back, fakes a handoff, reads the coverage, and delivers the ball in 4 seconds. Great protection. 4 seconds.
- On the 40 yarder to Rice vs. SD, Bollinger drops back, taps the ball, and delivers the ball in 3 seconds. Great protection. 3 seconds.
- Just to give you an idea of how long plays take to develop. On the fake reverse pass to Shiancoe, Bollinger hands off to Taylor, who runs left and pitches to Rice, who runs back right, stops, and throws the ball all in 6 seconds.

bleedpurple
12-05-2007, 02:15 PM
7 seconds to throw the ball in the NFL is an ETERNITY!!!!!

Marrdro
12-05-2007, 02:59 PM
"bleedpurple" wrote:

"Marrdro" wrote:

"BleedinPandG" wrote:

"Marrdro" wrote:

"bleedpurple" wrote:

Simple math.

;D

;D

That may be all fine.. but i never said OL play wasn't important.... or necessary.. That's effin obvious....you need time to throw the football period!!!
but i don't see what that has to do with him getting rid of the ball quickly (not necessarily a quick release but knowing where to go with the ball on a given play)... most good QB's get rid of the ball quickly, that's why Peyton and Brady don't get sacked that often....

Remember Daunte' holding the ball forever??? We had a good line then, but he had no clue where to go with it.. so he held on to the ball and fumbled half the time...

No need to get upset my friend.
I agreed with everything you said except that one point.
I'm not trying to fry you or anything just talking ball....

Back to the discussion.

Have you watched Brady and Manning, heck for that matter Lord Favre and Romo?
The teams that are winning have huge pockets, and thier QBs have all day to stand back thier and take thier time reading through the progressions and then deliver the ball just as often as they do thier quick shots which require a fast release.

Look, all I am saying is that a quick release is fine and very necessary if your QB isn't afforded the luxury of a good/great OL, however a good OL will give the QB time to make decisions as well as good throws my friend.

Marrdro
12-05-2007, 03:01 PM
"V" wrote:

"Marrdro" wrote:

"BleedinPandG" wrote:

"Marrdro" wrote:

"bleedpurple" wrote:

Simple math.

;D

;D

No it isn't.
A seven step drop takes 7 seconds? Haha.
A QB should be able to go through 3 reads of his progression in 5 seconds MAX. After that he is either scrambling or throwing the ball away. The 3rd/4th read is usually a dump off or a checkdown.

- On The Deep Bomb to Williamson vs. Chicago, TJ drops back, fakes a handoff, waits for TW to get open, and delivers the ball in 4 seconds. Great protection. 4 seconds.
- On the Deep Bomb to Rice vs. NYG, TJ drops back, fakes a handoff, reads the coverage, and delivers the ball in 4 seconds. Great protection. 4 seconds.
- On the 40 yarder to Rice vs. SD, Bollinger drops back, taps the ball, and delivers the ball in 3 seconds. Great protection. 3 seconds.
- Just to give you an idea of how long plays take to develop. On the fake reverse pass to Shiancoe, Bollinger hands off to Taylor, who runs left and pitches to Rice, who runs back right, stops, and throws the ball all in 6 seconds.

This is why I never do math in public.
Fricken bean counters count the beans.
;D

marstc09
12-05-2007, 08:14 PM
"lakehubertviking" wrote:

They better resign him

V-Unit
12-06-2007, 07:02 AM
"marstc09" wrote:

They better resign him

Agreed.

They may try to go younger, or maybe give this Mills guy a shot at FB?

That would be a huge mistake though.

ejmat
12-06-2007, 07:52 AM
"V" wrote:

"marstc09" wrote:

They better resign him

Agreed.

They may try to go younger, or maybe give this Mills guy a shot at FB?

That would be a huge mistake though.

I said last year that Richardson was the biggest pick up in free agency.
I still believe that.
Look at the wins and losses when he was healthy vs when he didn't play.
IMO Richardson is the best FB in football.
He's awesome when it comes to run blocking or pass blocking.
He does a great job coming out of the backfield on short passes when given the chance.
He like Peterson will level someone trying to tackle him too.
Richardson has never gone to be unnoticed (speaking for myself anyway).
I think he and the OL is getting a lot of praise right now.
It's also helping TJack develop.
Richardson should be first on the list to re-sign at the end of the year.
He's an important piece to the offense and still has a couple good years left.
Dugan and Mills can continue to learn from him.

Prophet
12-06-2007, 08:24 AM
"ejmat" wrote:

...I said last year that Richardson was the biggest pick up in free agency.
I still believe that.
He does a great job coming out of the backfield on short passes when given the chance.

Agree.
Richardson is an important piece of the puzzle, too bad he's not at the beginning of his career rather than the end of his career.
He's racking up the injuries.
He's been an important piece of the puzzle for the #1 rushing teams in the NFL for a good spell now.
He helped the Chiefs transition from Priest to Huggies and I was happy when the Vikings picked him up.

tastywaves
12-06-2007, 12:04 PM
"Marrdro" wrote:

"bleedpurple" wrote:

"Marrdro" wrote:

"BleedinPandG" wrote:

"Marrdro" wrote:

Simple math.

;D

;D

No need to get upset my friend.
I agreed with everything you said except that one point.
I'm not trying to fry you or anything just talking ball....

Back to the discussion.

Have you watched Brady and Manning, heck for that matter Lord Favre and Romo?
The teams that are winning have huge pockets, and thier QBs have all day to stand back thier and take thier time reading through the progressions and then deliver the ball just as often as they do thier quick shots which require a fast release.

Look, all I am saying is that a quick release is fine and very necessary if your QB isn't afforded the luxury of a good/great OL, however a good OL will give the QB time to make decisions as well as good throws my friend.

We tend to make players bigger than life when they have great stats.
Not saying that these guys aren't worth the praise, however, if you watch these games you will notice that these guys do have a lot more time to make their reads then the majority of the teams.
Brady is where I notice it the most, even against Baltimore the other night when they put as much pressure on him as I've seen in a long time, he still had a large number of plays where he had to have 5 seconds or more.

Give a great QB a lot of time and he will have great stats.
How would Brady have done in MN through the first 10 games?
Probably better than most, but I doubt anywhere near the stats he's having in NE.

V4L
12-06-2007, 12:22 PM
It's a mix between good O-line play and good QB play

ejmat
12-06-2007, 01:10 PM
"Prophet" wrote:

"ejmat" wrote:

I still believe that.

Agree.
Richardson is an important piece of the puzzle, too bad he's not at the beginning of his career rather than the end of his career.
He's been an important piece of the puzzle for the #1 rushing teams in the NFL for a good spell now.
He helped the Chiefs transition from Priest to Huggies and I was happy when the Vikings picked him up.

Exactly.
So often good FBs are overlooked becasue they are not the big stat getters.
I like to look at the intangeables players bring to the game rather than who has better stats.
That is why I always liked someone like Brad Johnson vs someone like Culpepper.
Culpepper can tease you with stats but Johnson will normally get you a win by better management.

Purple D
12-06-2007, 01:17 PM
"ejmat" wrote:

"Prophet" wrote:

"ejmat" wrote:

I still believe that.

Agree.

Exactly.
I like to look at the intangeables players bring to the game rather than who has better stats.
Culpepper can tease you with stats but Johnson will normally get you a win by better management.

Richardson is great team player.
He is a very important part of our offense.
He leads the way on alot of runs and he is a dependable pass catcher out of the backfeild.
He is a very High character player and leads by example.
He is someone I would like to see retire a Viking.

bleedpurple
12-06-2007, 02:50 PM
"ejmat" wrote:

"Prophet" wrote:

"ejmat" wrote:

I still believe that.

Agree.

Exactly.

C'mon... BRAAAD???? mmm!!!!

I think TRich is the MAN!!! but i'd have to place him behind Lorenzo Neal... by a small margin tho...

ejmat
12-06-2007, 04:15 PM
"bleedpurple" wrote:

"ejmat" wrote:

"Prophet" wrote:

"ejmat" wrote:

I still believe that.

Agree.

Exactly.

I think TRich is the MAN!!! but i'd have to place him behind Lorenzo Neal... by a small margin tho...

What's wrong with Brad?
Look at his career winning percentage.
Guarantee you it's better than Culpeppers.

vikingivan
12-06-2007, 04:30 PM
"ejmat" wrote:

"bleedpurple" wrote:

"ejmat" wrote:

"Prophet" wrote:

"ejmat" wrote:

I still believe that.

Agree.

Exactly.

What's wrong with Brad?

Brad does have one thing that Culpepper will never have.
A super bowl ring.

bleedpurple
12-06-2007, 04:36 PM
"vikingivan" wrote:

"ejmat" wrote:

"bleedpurple" wrote:

"ejmat" wrote:

"Prophet" wrote:

I still believe that.

Agree.

Exactly.

What's wrong with Brad?

A super bowl ring.

Brad is cool... but i hated having him as our QB last year and the year before... wasn't a fan AT ALL!!!! Got a steal for him when we traded him to the skins...

ejmat
12-07-2007, 09:34 AM
"bleedpurple" wrote:

"vikingivan" wrote:

"ejmat" wrote:

"bleedpurple" wrote:

"ejmat" wrote:

I still believe that.

Agree.

Exactly.

What's wrong with Brad?

A super bowl ring.

Brad is cool... but i hated having him as our QB last year and the year before... wasn't a fan AT ALL!!!! Got a steal for him when we traded him to the skins...

You have a right to your opinion.
He didn't have a great year last year.
In fact it was his worse of his career IMO.
Look at his career wins vs losses and TDs vs turnovers and you can see his consistency.
Then compare that to Culpeppers.
Passing yardage do nothing for me if you aren't able to win games.

digital420
12-21-2007, 04:15 AM
TRich has been a very SOLID puzzle piece of our #1 run game!!

he is a bulldozer as a leadblocker,
he has the hands for catching,
he can get those 4th and 1 tuff yards
and he has loads of experience working with great RB's!!

just for the fact that our TE situation seems to be playing out, and we have a solid RB tandem, i'd work on signing Trich at least for the next year, and possibly into a 2nd year. if his play lvl drops, he is a great backup say in 2 years and an incredible mentor to whoever our future FB will be.

i have faith in our front office to do the right thing and solidify TRich's spot on the purlpe O roster!!

DiGiTaL