PDA

View Full Version : Was AD getting injured a blessing in disguise?

vikingivan
12-03-2007, 05:44 PM
Of course, you never want to see your best player go down, or any of your players for that matter.
But, in hindsight, we won both games AD was out.
He should have fresh legs for the playoff run.
I can see him running wild the next four games, and in the playoffs if we are fortunate enough to make it that far.

Frostbite
12-03-2007, 05:55 PM
NO...I don't think it was a blessing at all. It did make more people realize that we have a wonderful two headed attack in the running game with C.Tay and A.P. Teams will have to concentrate more on shutting down the run and this should help T.Jack greatly in the passing area if the Coaches can find a way to take advantage of it with play action passes.....fakes and short passes into the Flats for A.P. and C. Tay etc.

The injury itself was unfortunate. It could also have negative impact on A.P. down the road somewhere as well with stats for 07 too. We will have to wait and see about that.

Cheers!

clark_griswold
12-03-2007, 06:06 PM
A better question to ask...will AD still break the rookie rushing record of 1808? He has 1197 as of today. He would need to average a little over 150 yards per game for the last 4 but with games against the bears and broncos i think he could go for 200 against them both. What do you guys think?

Frostbite
12-03-2007, 06:11 PM
It's possible clark_griswold but odds are against it. It would be an almost super-human perfromance by A.P. to pull that off. I hope he does it....stranger things have happened in the League so ??? I would not put any $$ on it though.

I will say he gets very close and would have easily broken the record if not for missing games with injury and sharing carries so much with C.Tay.

Cheers!

Proud2BPurple
12-03-2007, 06:12 PM
I think if AD hadnt got injured he'd be well on his way to the record especially missin the oakland game, would imagine him puttin up big numbers!

I thought we'd miss him more than we did but CT an TJack stood up an showed a lot of people that we rely on no one player, just make use of one of the best players in the league! 8)

CrazyVikingsFan
12-03-2007, 06:20 PM
Actually Frostbite the league was not the only ones to find out about out two headed monster..... we also did....before AP's injury we did not really use the two back system that much and it was just the AP show...that worked well but using both of them is unstoppable....i think AP's injury will turn out to be a miracle in disguise because it showed us and the league that our team is more than just AP and that we have a lot more potential than previously thought....

Frostbite
12-03-2007, 06:24 PM
"CrazyVikingsFan" wrote:

Actually Frostbite the league was not the only ones to find out about out two headed monster..... we also did....before AP's injury we did not really use the two back system that much and it was just the AP show...that worked well but using both of them is unstoppable....i think AP's injury will turn out to be a miracle in disguise because it showed us and the league that our team is more than just AP and that we have a lot more potential than previously thought....

I thought most everybody in the Vikings ranks already considered Chester taylor a very good Running Back too?? Anyways...it was less of a surprise to me..

Cheers!

C Mac D
12-03-2007, 06:44 PM
"clark_griswold" wrote:

A better question to ask...will AD still break the rookie rushing record of 1808? He has 1197 as of today. He would need to average a little over 150 yards per game for the last 4 but with games against the bears and broncos i think he could go for 200 against them both. What do you guys think?

I was thinking that myself... and I think the answer is Yes. I've learned to not doubt this kid's ability whatsoever. I'm excited to see him do it. I say he walks all over the bears again, putting up in the high 170+ region, and then 130+ on the Broncos... and I think thats being conservative on both fronts.

All I know is that the past three weeks has made me one happy man.

V-Unit
12-03-2007, 07:00 PM
"Frostbite" wrote:

NO...I don't think it was a blessing at all. It did make more people realize that we have a wonderful two headed attack in the running game with C.Tay and A.P. Teams will have to concentrate more on shutting down the run and this should help T.Jack greatly in the passing area if the Coaches can find a way to take advantage of it with play action passes.....fakes and short passes into the Flats for A.P. and C. Tay etc.

The injury itself was unfortunate. It could also have negative impact on A.P. down the road somewhere as well with stats for 07 too. We will have to wait and see about that.

Cheers!

You hit it on the head. It was not a blessing in any way shape or form, but Chester isn't just good, he untradeable.

NordicNed
12-03-2007, 07:11 PM
Without getting to much into depth what is going on, we have the best dam running back combo in the NFL at this time.....

I find it hard for anyone to argue the point.......the rest of the season will point the fact out for itself......

NordicNed

Overlord
12-03-2007, 07:39 PM
In answer to the thread topic - No.
I don't see how a knee injury is a blessing.
I actually thought he looked a little slower at the top end yesterday (maybe I was seeing things), but was amazed once again by his strength, quickness, and balance.

In answer to clark_griswold's question - Probably not.
He needs to run for 610 yards to break that record in 4 games.
In those games we play three teams that are very poor against the run, along with a Redskins team that just lost their best defender.

Here are our upcoming opponents stats/ranks (team - ypg (rank) - avg (rank))

SF
- 124.0 (26th) - 3.8 (t-7th)
CHI - 130.8 (27th) - 4.4 (28th)
WAS - 97.8 (10th) - 3.9 (t-10th)
DEN - 149.1 (31st) - 4.6 (t-30th)

So how well can we expect the Vikings to do against these teams?
Well, if we perform at the averages above, that's about 500 yards for the entire team.

But we average 176.8 ypg and 5.6 ypc.
The NFL average for these stats is 109.5 ypg and 4.0 ypc.
So we outperform the NFL average by about 60% in ypg (40% in ypc).
So an estimate for the number of rushing yards we will put up in the last four games is about 800 yards as a team, and I expect more big runs and healthy averages.

The thing that's going to kill AD's chances is the distribution of the carries with Taylor.
It's not that he wouldn't be able to do it, but he won't be given the opportunity.
I expect AD to get about 60% of the yardage the rest of the way, Chester to get about 30%, and then the rest of the team to combine for about 10%.
So that puts my estimate of AD's yardage at between about 450-500 yards.
That puts him at 100 yards short of the record.

We'll see though.
Great players often exceed even lofty expectations.
I'm hoping he does it, but if I had to choose, I'd rather win a chance to get revenge on the Packers in the NFC Championship.

singersp
12-03-2007, 07:46 PM
Was AD getting injured a blessing in disguise?

::) HELL NO!

Not even worthy of an explanation.

Schutz
12-03-2007, 07:53 PM
"Overlord" wrote:

In answer to the thread topic - No.
I don't see how a knee injury is a blessing.
I actually thought he looked a little slower at the top end yesterday (maybe I was seeing things), but was amazed once again by his strength, quickness, and balance.

In answer to clark_griswold's question - Probably not.
He needs to run for 610 yards to break that record in 4 games.
In those games we play three teams that are very poor against the run, along with a Redskins team that just lost their best defender.

Here are our upcoming opponents stats/ranks (team - ypg (rank) - avg (rank))

SF
- 124.0 (26th) - 3.8 (t-7th)
CHI - 130.8 (27th) - 4.4 (28th)
WAS - 97.8 (10th) - 3.9 (t-10th)
DEN - 149.1 (31st) - 4.6 (t-30th)

So how well can we expect the Vikings to do against these teams?
Well, if we perform at the averages above, that's about 500 yards for the entire team.

But we average 176.8 ypg and 5.6 ypc.
The NFL average for these stats is 109.5 ypg and 4.0 ypc.
So we outperform the NFL average by about 60% in ypg (40% in ypc).
So an estimate for the number of rushing yards we will put up in the last four games is about 800 yards as a team, and I expect more big runs and healthy averages.

The thing that's going to kill AD's chances is the distribution of the carries with Taylor.
It's not that he wouldn't be able to do it, but he won't be given the opportunity.
I expect AD to get about 60% of the yardage the rest of the way, Chester to get about 30%, and then the rest of the team to combine for about 10%.
So that puts my estimate of AD's yardage at between about 450-500 yards.
That puts him at 100 yards short of the record.

We'll see though.
Great players often exceed even lofty expectations.
I'm hoping he does it, but if I had to choose, I'd rather win a chance to get revenge on the Packers in the NFC Championship.

Very nice breakdown, I really enjoy when people use PERCENTAGES and AVERAGES, instead of just raw stats.
Although I will say I think it might come down to the Denver game.
Can you imagine the pandemonium if Adrian came into the Denver game like 300 yards to go against basically the worst run defense in the NFL.
I would die a happy man if I saw AP break his own single game rushing record to break the rookie rushing record.

PurpleGator
12-03-2007, 08:01 PM
"clark_griswold" wrote:

If he does break the recorded, it should be noted he only played 14 games.

Purple Floyd
12-03-2007, 08:34 PM
A knee injury is never a blessing.

Schutz
12-03-2007, 08:37 PM
"UffDaVikes" wrote:

Unless his legs were replaced by bionic ones.....................

Ltrey33
12-03-2007, 08:46 PM
Is there any chance that the LCL injury could destabilize/weaken the knee as to create other injuries?

singersp
12-03-2007, 09:00 PM
"UffDaVikes" wrote:

No injury is a blessing, unless it results in a larger penis

Purple Floyd
12-03-2007, 09:08 PM
"singersp" wrote:

"UffDaVikes" wrote:

No injury is a blessing, unless it results in a larger penis

You get an erection when you are hurt?

They may have a cure for that ;D

COJOMAY
12-03-2007, 09:35 PM
It's amazing that he will even have a chance at the rookie rushing record considering he wasn't the starter until later in the season, them missed two games, but what make it even more of a unbelieveable thing is that we have an over 1000 yard rusher sharing carries with him.

Crunchem
12-03-2007, 09:46 PM
I think AD being out a couple games made the rest of the team gel more...The whole team seemed like they expected that big play to win. Now it seems like they have figured out how to pound the ball and make those few passes that keep the other team honest instead of all in the box.