PDA

View Full Version : The crow eating thread 2007 edition

Purple Floyd
12-02-2007, 05:20 PM
Since about game 4 of last year until the GB debacle I have been critical of the entire coaching staff for:

-Not using formations that play to the strength of the talent on both offense and defense
-Not having the team prepared mentally to compete.
-Not coaching the players they have to properly play in their position.

Since about the 5th game this year I did see times when they were starting to use formations that were better suited to the players and I noted it, but they still were not performing at a high level and my thought was/is that the problems were not that they didn't have the talent, but that they were not using the talent properly.As recently as the GB game I still did not believe that we had the coaching talent to take this team to the next level. And I am not just talking Childress, but every coach on the staff.

After 3 consecutive wins and the best performance I have seen from the team in as long as I can remember(1998 never had the balance of offense,defense and ST) I am prepared to have myself a big dish of crow to celebrate the occasion.And the best part of this is that I will feel better being wrong and having the team win than I would if I were right and the team lost 12 games this year. If this is not an illusion we are certainly good enough to win a playoff game.

So if anyone wants to make me a sig of Chilly in a chefs hat and apron serving me a dish of crow, I will keep it until either we revert to the old Vikings or the season ends. ( Hopefully January)

Any takers? ;D

There. I manned up and will take anything that comes my way.

Any other takers? I know there are more than just me that doubted the staff so if anyone else is prepared to own up, this is the place.

http://www.purplepride.org/media/kunena/attachments/legacy/images/EatCrow.gif (http://www.purplepride.org/media/kunena/attachments/legacy/images/EatCrow.gif)

Schutz
12-02-2007, 05:23 PM
"UffDaVikes" wrote:

Since about game 4 of last year until the GB debacle I have been critical of the entire coaching staff for:

-Not using formations that play to the strength of the talent on both offense and defense
-Not having the team prepared mentally to compete.
-Not coaching the players they have to properly play in their position.

Since about the 5th game this year I did see times when they were starting to use formations that were better suited to the players and I noted it, but they still were not performing at a high level and my thought was/is that the problems were not that they didn't have the talent, but that they were not using the talent properly.As recently as the GB game I still did not believe that we had the coaching talent to take this team to the next level. And I am not just talking Childress, but every coach on the staff.

After 3 consecutive wins and the best performance I have seen from the team in as long as I can remember(1998 never had the balance of offense,defense and ST) I am prepared to have myself a big dish of crow to celebrate the occasion.And the best part of this is that I will feel better being wrong and having the team win than I would if I were right and the team lost 12 games this year. If this is not an illusion we are certainly good enough to win a playoff game.

So if anyone wants to make me a sig of Chilly in a chefs hat and apron serving me a dish of crow, I will keep it until either we revert to the old Vikings or the season ends. ( Hopefully January)

Any takers? ;D

There. I manned up and will take anything that comes my way.

Any other takers? I know there are more than just me that doubted the staff so if anyone else is prepared to own up, this is the place.

See I wouldn't eat crow on that, Childress started being more aggresive and being more diverse in his play calling.
That's called adapting, and he should have been doing it all along.
I'm glad the Vikings coaching staff stopped trying the same old, but i'm not going to eat crow for Childress making dumb decisions earlier in the year.
On my critisism of T-Jack on the other hand......

vikesfargo
12-02-2007, 05:32 PM
"UffDaVikes" wrote:

until either we revert to the old Vikings or the season ends. ( Hopefully January)

Hopefully, it's February when our season ends, at Disneyland.

You are a man of integrity, standing up like this. I don't have any artistic ability. Besides, I've been wrong about the Vikings myself sometimes, too.

Marrdro
12-02-2007, 05:41 PM
Uffda, you are in a league all your own in my book.
Great post my friend......However,

As I have been saying for a long time.

Highs and lows my friends, highs and lows.

This staff isn't really doing much different and don't deserve any (well a bit for coaching) credit as all we are seeing are the youngsters starting to execute what has been coached.

I will eat some crow with respect to my bashing of the OL all year and thier OL Coach.
I will also eat some crow on my initial (pre-season) concern over our ST's ability to tackle and Longwells ability to kick the ball anywhere close to the endzone during Kickoffs.

If Bryzcheapski and the front office have another great draft and add a couple of key FA without breaking the bank I will eat some crow over that as well. ;D

Schutz
12-02-2007, 05:43 PM
"Marrdro" wrote:

This staff isn't really doing much different and don't deserve any (well a bit for coaching) credit as all we are seeing are the youngsters starting to execute what has been coached.

I will eat some crow with respect to my bashing of the OL all year and thier OL Coach.
I will also eat some crow on my initial (pre-season) concern over our ST's ability to tackle and Longwells ability to kick the ball anywhere close to the endzone during Kickoffs.

If Bryzcheapski and the front office have another great draft and add a couple of key FA without breaking the bank I will eat some crow over that as well. ;D

Speaking of OL, is McKinnie the best Run Blocker in the league?

Vikes_King
12-02-2007, 05:44 PM
"Marrdro" wrote:

Going into this game we were ranked 5th in kick off coverage in the league.
And i think we all know thats due to Heath Farwell :) we gave up more yards than we should have on a couple returns, still over all good play by all three units tho

gagarr
12-02-2007, 05:57 PM
I've posted tons on Jackson not being worth crap.

I thought the Raiders game was against a crappy team
I thought the Giants game was a fluke
But now I was impressed by his game today against the Lions

Hopefully he will continue his capable play.... only need him to get completions enough to keep the box open for AD and CT.

Not holding my breath yet.... just hoping the GB game was a motivator to put the hurt on all the rest of the teams on the schedule.

Potus2028
12-02-2007, 06:11 PM
i'll eat crow..

i said that bollinger was gave us a better chance to win than t-jack.

i was wrong.

my bad..

but each of the past three weeks i have become more and more of a tjack supporter. so i dont mind being wrong about how bad somebody is.

V4L
12-02-2007, 06:12 PM
Still critical of what Childres does

But I would like to give him another year now

I kinda like the way the team is playing and I see some upside

PurpleGator
12-02-2007, 06:15 PM
"Potus2028" wrote:

i'll eat crow..

i was wrong.

my bad..

but each of the past three weeks i have become more and more of a tjack supporter. so i dont mind being wrong about how bad somebody is.

Although, I have been a T-Jack and Childress basher for the last few weeks, I don't see a need to eat any crow.

We are still 6-6.
A long shot for the playoffs and we haven't made it to the SB yet.

I hope we do great and the last few weeks we have.
I still don't think we will be holding up any Lombardi trophy with T-Jack/Childress.

I want to be wrong.

Marrdro
12-02-2007, 06:16 PM
"Schutz" wrote:

"Marrdro" wrote:

Anyone see Herrera make the block on his man (right side) and still almost catch AD (running to the left side) into the endzone?
That guy is a beast and probably (next to Birk making correct line calls) the biggest reason the OL is playing at a higher level.

My Humble Opinion of Course.

;D

V4L
12-02-2007, 06:21 PM
"Marrdro" wrote:

"Schutz" wrote:

"Marrdro" wrote:

Anyone see Herrera make the block on his man (right side) and still almost catch AD (running to the left side) into the endzone?
That guy is a beast and probably (next to Birk making correct line calls) the biggest reason the OL is playing at a higher level.

My Humble Opinion of Course.

;D

I saw it

I think he is a beast also.. Always have.. Ever since Tice was talkin bout his "mean streak"

He deserves the money he got

vikesfargo
12-02-2007, 06:23 PM
"Marrdro" wrote:

I didn't see that, but I agree that Herrera is an absolute beast. He is just mauling people out there.

Marrdro
12-02-2007, 06:27 PM
"vikesfargo" wrote:

"Marrdro" wrote:

I didn't see that, but I agree that Herrera is an absolute beast He is just mauling people out there.

I haven't checked the stats yet, but the right side is doing almost as good as the left side when it comes to run production.
If (and I am almost convinced he will) Cook comes around on his pass protection, this line will be good for quite a few years.

Time to start drafting or finding a good FA swing man to add depth now.

V4L
12-02-2007, 06:30 PM
"Marrdro" wrote:

"vikesfargo" wrote:

"Marrdro" wrote:

I didn't see that, but I agree that Herrera is an absolute beast He is just mauling people out there.

I haven't checked the stats yet, but the right side is doing almost as good as the left side when it comes to run production.
If (and I am almost convinced he will) Cook comes around on his pass protection, this line will be good for quite a few years.

Time to start drafting or finding a good FA swing man to add depth now.

I saw a graphic where it said something along the lines of him running 3 times to the left for 14 yards and 3 times to the right for 40 yards or some where around there

The right side is definitley gelling

Even the pass protection

Caine
12-02-2007, 06:40 PM
A third consecutive victory, a second consecutive "complete" game....but I'm not ready to eat anything quite yet.

After 1 3/4 years I am finally starting to see improvement.
The Vikes are finally playing to their strengths, and allowing those strengths to raise their level of production in other areas.

It's about time.

I'll eat crow after we make the play-offs, smash our way to whatever level we need to to face the Packers, and eliminate them.
If Childress can accomplish that, I'll join uffda in getting a new sig...only mine will feature Childress and Jackson and the slogan, "I was wrong!!
And I'm Lovin' it!!"

Caine

Potus2028
12-02-2007, 06:45 PM
"PurpleGator" wrote:

"Potus2028" wrote:

i'll eat crow..

i was wrong.

my bad..

Although, I have been a T-Jack and Childress basher for the last few weeks, I don't see a need to eat any crow.

We are still 6-6.
A long shot for the playoffs and we haven't made it to the SB yet.

I hope we do great and the last few weeks we have.
I still don't think we will be holding up any Lombardi trophy with T-Jack/Childress.

I want to be wrong.

yea. thats true.

so i'll wait until the end of the season to eat some crow

Marrdro
12-02-2007, 06:50 PM
"Caine" wrote:

A third consecutive victory, a second consecutive "complete" game....but I'm not ready to eat anything quite yet.

The Vikes are finally playing to their strengths, and allowing those strengths to raise their level of production in other areas.

It's about time.

I'll eat crow after we make the play-offs, smash our way to whatever level we need to to face the Packers, and eliminate them.
If Childress can accomplish that, I'll join uffda in getting a new sig...only mine will feature Childress and Jackson and the slogan, "I was wrong!!
And I'm Lovin' it!!"

Caine

I thought the criteria for them to show improvement this year.
I didn't realize the ante was that big my friend.
;D

C Mac D
12-02-2007, 06:54 PM
Well... The Vikes won three straight. I couldn't be happier that I was wrong.

This particular crow tastes quite good.

Marrdro
12-02-2007, 06:56 PM
"C" wrote:

When did you get rid of the Douche sig?

C Mac D
12-02-2007, 06:58 PM
"Marrdro" wrote:

"C" wrote:

Last week. I'm not fully on the Chilly bandwagon yet (although i may have a foot in it)... but I like his play calling a lot more. Punt fake? HB pass? Awesome stuff.

V4L
12-02-2007, 06:59 PM
"Marrdro" wrote:

"C" wrote:

I was wondering that too haha

Probably when Chilldress started actually making some solid decisions

Caine
12-02-2007, 07:04 PM
"Marrdro" wrote:

"Caine" wrote:

It's about time.

And I'm Lovin' it!!"

Caine

;D

Mar,

I suffered through so much horrible football in the past couple years, as well as 4 horrible games in a row versus the Puckers (capped by the last blanking), that I feel Chiller owes me.
Do you know how much caca-del-toro I had to eat at work after we got blanked (I live in Southern Wisconsin...surrounded by Packtards)?
So, yeah, I upped the ante.

But if we get it, I'll take it
;D

Caine

Marrdro
12-02-2007, 07:08 PM
"Caine" wrote:

"Marrdro" wrote:

"Caine" wrote:

It's about time.

And I'm Lovin' it!!"

Caine

;D

Mar,

I suffered through so much horrible football in the past couple years, as well as 4 horrible games in a row versus the Puckers (capped by the last blanking), that I feel Chiller owes me.
Do you know how much caca-del-toro I had to eat at work after we got blanked (I live in Southern Wisconsin...surrounded by Packtards)?
So, yeah, I upped the ante.

But if we get it, I'll take it

;D

Caine

I hear ya my friend.
Try defending him.
;D

As I stated before, when and if he gets fired I will tell you a few things I think/feel about our HC.
Until then, as with all things Vikes, I will defend them as I have my whole life.
I have way to much invested in this team.

Freya
12-02-2007, 07:19 PM
"Caine" wrote:

It's about time.

I'll eat crow after we make the play-offs, smash our way to whatever level we need to to face the Packers, and eliminate them. If Childress can accomplish that, I'll join uffda in getting a new sig...only mine will feature Childress and Jackson and the slogan, "I was wrong!!
And I'm Lovin' it!!"

Caine

I like that! Well said.

Vikes_King
12-02-2007, 07:23 PM
I would eat some crow... but i've been pointlessly, blindlessly, optimistic the whole season, defending players and coaches for no point what so ever.

vikinggreg
12-02-2007, 08:03 PM
I've pulled the fire Childress pic off my sig as Childress seems to made some major adjustments to everything and the team is looking like the team that they should have been earlier this year.

On a side note the Packer kick in the nuts that took place 4 weeks ago seemed to be the wake up call this team needed (Childress, staff and players),
if the Vikes would have lost a close one to the Pack, say 3-7 points I'm not sure there would be the last 3 wins, and the last 2 big ones. I hope Childress goal is to see the Packers in the post season and get some payback. Then I'll eat crow for a month.

For now I'll have a wing and wait ;)

Marrdro
12-02-2007, 08:07 PM
"C" wrote:

"Marrdro" wrote:

"C" wrote:

Last week. I'm not fully on the Chilly bandwagon yet (although i may have a foot in it)... but I like his play calling a lot more. Punt fake? HB pass? Awesome stuff.

Please stick it on the end of my profile if you don't mind.
I might have use of it latter and not against you or anyone on the page by the way.
;D

kevoncox
12-02-2007, 08:08 PM
I will not eat crow.
I'm sorry but some of the descisions the coaching staff made early in the season are why we are 6-6 today. We have one 1 game we shouldn't have in our 3 game swing. 1. Oakland? Lions?
Have we fallen so low that we celebrate a win over the LIONS in DEC???????

Please don't misundertand me. I am absolutly geeked over the leaps and bounds the team has grown over he past 3 weeks. However, shouldn't we have been playing like this all year long?
Shouldn't we have been blitzing all year long. Should TJ have been playing like an average Qb all year long. Look at
Trent Edwards. Rookie - he's looking like an average QB

I think that Childress as matured as a coach. Perharps we forget that coaching is something you must learn to do. My biggest concern is i have still not seen him mangae time at the end of a game correctly. Good luck to the Vikings but please don' tell me he's done everything right especially since we are 6 and 6

Vikes_King
12-02-2007, 08:11 PM
"kevoncox" wrote:

I will not eat crow.
I'm sorry but some of the descisions the coaching staff made early in the season are why we are 6-6 today. We have one 1 game we shouldn't have in our 3 game swing. 1. Oakland? Lions?
Please don't misundertand me. I am absolutly geeked over the leaps and bounds the team has grown over he past 3 weeks. However, shouldn't we have been playing like this all year long?
Shouldn't we have been blitzing all year long. Should TJ have been playing like an average Qb all year long. Look at

I think that Childress as matured as a coach. Perharps we forget that coaching is something you must learn to do. My biggest concern is i have still not seen him mangae time at the end of a game correctly. Good luck to the Vikings but please don' tell me he's done everything right especially since we are 6 and 6

#1, the Lions started the season very strong

#2, we're not mainly celebrating that we beat the Lions.
We're celebrating that we DESTROYED the lions.

Braddock
12-02-2007, 08:12 PM
"kevoncox" wrote:

I will not eat crow.

No, b/c he is so young. Yes, Edwards may look good, but so did Young and Cutler early on and now they are no where near ordinary (I think Young = most overrated QB, right ahead of Eli) With the the guys, new systems, we shouldn't have expected everything to take off from the beginning of the year. I'm just glad it is now.

Marrdro
12-02-2007, 08:31 PM
"kevoncox" wrote:

I will not eat crow.

So many things in here that confuse me my friend.

a. However, shouldn't we have been playing like this all year long? Only if you in you heart believe that this team isn't very young at almost every key position and just needed experience to make it all come togehter.
Seriously, do you really believe a bunch of Rookies, Second year and 3rd year players were gonna come in and execute a very complex offensive and defensive scheme without some issues?

b. Shouldn't we have been blitzing all year long.
We have, at least since the Lions game.
Secondly, we only blitzed from the LB position a few times today.
How do you explain that?

c. Should TJ have been playing like an average Qb all year long.

d. Look at
Gonna lump my answer to both c and d together.
He is 6-2 as a starter, he has steadily been getting better (still has a ways to go) and has had some injuries this year. However back to the 6-2 parts.
Isn't that the only stat that really matters?
At least thats what everyone kept telling me when I kept throwing out miniscule stats that showed the team was getting better?

As to Edwards, if he had a rushing attack like TJ had to rely on he probably wouldn't put up 22 passes a game and his numbers would probably compare to TJ's.

Passing CP/AT YDS TD INT
T. Edwards
22/36 257 0 0
Rushing ATT YDS TD LG
F. Jackson
16 82 0 22

Overall his stats of 1 TD 5 INT for 1,047 yards with a 72.9
rating isn't
any better than 5 TDS, 7 INT's, 1,104 yards and a 69.6 passer rating.

Comeon my friend, joing the happiness club.
It isn't as bad as you contend.
;D

kevoncox
12-02-2007, 08:51 PM
Just some points. Yes we are a young team on some fronts.

However, we are old in the places that count.
OL, DL, LB, S

I still think the loss to the Lions was a debacle.
The loss to the Cheifs was an absolute flop. The eagles loss with a hurt westbrook and recovering Mcnabb was laughable.
Like i said, i love my team but to say we need to eat some crow is outragous. We were losing to teams we should have beaten. We are now beating the teams that we should.

Next week we have SF. I hope we have our A game ready because we lost to this team last year. Yuck.

After that we have CHI, Was and Denver.
3 winnable games but 3 that we will be tested.
Chicago is looking very good even with the loss today.

norseforce
12-02-2007, 08:54 PM
sorry, I have too eat crow. I was so down on t. jackson,bobby wade,and even b. mckinnie but this team
has really stuck together so let's finish strong, good luck... GO VIKINGS

V-Unit
12-02-2007, 09:08 PM
"kevoncox" wrote:

OL, DL, LB, S

The loss to the Cheifs was an absolute flop. The eagles loss with a hurt westbrook and recovering Mcnabb was laughable.
Like i said, i love my team but to say we need to eat some crow is outragous. We were losing to teams we should have beaten. We are now beating the teams that we should.

Next week we have SF. I hope we have our A game ready because we lost to this team last year. Yuck.

I totally disagree. First of all, why do those positions count more than others? Secondly, we are pretty young at OL, DL, and LB.

Marrdro
12-02-2007, 09:13 PM
"V" wrote:

"kevoncox" wrote:

OL, DL, LB, S

I totally disagree. First of all, why do those positions count more than others? Secondly, we are pretty young at OL, DL, and LB.

Here is a link my friend if you doubt V's post.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/teams/roster?team=min

Ltrey33
12-02-2007, 09:54 PM
Here are several things that I have said:

!) Childress sucks
2) I have doubts that Tarvaris can be a franchise quarterback
3) The zone blocking scheme does not fit our personnel

Well...I will eat crow on the 3rd. It seems like they just took a year (or a little more) to adjust to the scheme, and now both pass and run blocking are working flawlessly. And I am HAPPY about that.

The first two....I am not wolling to eat crow on yet. I still have doubts about both Childress and Tarvaris, BUT if we play the rest of the season at this level and finish at or above .500....I will have to revise my position, especially if Tarvaris continues to play well.

I hope we end up 10-6 and I get a big ol' steaming plate of crow for dinner!

Overlord
12-02-2007, 10:08 PM
"kevoncox" wrote:

Kind of like what Vikes_King said - we didn't just win, we played a great game.
The execution for the first three quarters was maybe as good as I've ever seen out of the Vikings.

"Marrdro" wrote:

"kevoncox" wrote:

Only if you in you heart believe that this team isn't very young at almost every key position and just needed experience to make it all come togehter.
Seriously, do you really believe a bunch of Rookies, Second year and 3rd year players were gonna come in and execute a very complex offensive and defensive scheme without some issues?

Yes, young players are more likely (in general) to make mistakes.
But I still expect execution to be good every week.
Early in the season there were too many mistakes and there were too many situations where the team was asked to do things they weren't prepared for.

It's okay, lots of teams have similar problems.
But the teams that are the most fun to watch don't.
Today, we were a really fun team to watch.

"Marrdro" wrote:

"kevoncox" wrote:

How do you explain that?

I didn't watch this game as closely as some, I think because I was too excited.
But I kind of thought the same thing.
But the Fox announcers said we blitzed a ton today.
Maybe they're right, or maybe they just said that for the sake of saying it.

I thought we were in a good spot with the big lead in the second half and our defensive line played well against a poor pass-blocking team.

The thing I think has helped us in a few games is our timing on the blitzes has been better.
At least that's what I noticed in the SD game.
If you time your blitzes right or otherwise disguise them, I think that makes it harder for the offensive line to adjust before the snap and pick it up.

PurpleGator
12-02-2007, 10:09 PM
"Caine" wrote:

It's about time.

And I'm Lovin' it!!"

Caine

I will also but we have to accomplish that.
We can almost make the playoffs or make the playoffs.
We have to get further than the Packers.
If we do that, I will be there with Caine and Uffda.

vikesfargo
12-02-2007, 10:21 PM
"kevoncox" wrote:

I was just reading over on Gameday preview (http://www.purplepride.org/forums/index.php?topic=40215.0) how the Vikes are 60-30-2 all-time against the Lions (now 61-30-2), but only 12-10 all-time against the Lions in December (now 13-10). So I would say, yes, we really should celebrate a win over the Lions in December.

Of course, the Lions have lost a lot of games in December in recent years. I just thought I'd note that for historical purposes, the Vikes aren't dominant over the Lions in December.

Marrdro
12-02-2007, 10:29 PM
"Overlord" wrote:

"kevoncox" wrote:

Kind of like what Vikes_King said - we didn't just win, we played a great game.
The execution for the first three quarters was maybe as good as I've ever seen out of the Vikings.

"Marrdro" wrote:

"kevoncox" wrote:

Only if you in you heart believe that this team isn't very young at almost every key position and just needed experience to make it all come togehter.

Yes, young players are more likely (in general) to make mistakes.
But I still expect execution to be good every week.
Early in the season there were too many mistakes and there were too many situations where the team was asked to do things they weren't prepared for.

It's okay, lots of teams have similar problems.
But the teams that are the most fun to watch don't.
Today, we were a really fun team to watch.

"Marrdro" wrote:

"kevoncox" wrote:

How do you explain that?

I didn't watch this game as closely as some, I think because I was too excited.
But I kind of thought the same thing.
But the Fox announcers said we blitzed a ton today.
Maybe they're right, or maybe they just said that for the sake of saying it.

I thought we were in a good spot with the big lead in the second half and our defensive line played well against a poor pass-blocking team.

The thing I think has helped us in a few games is our timing on the blitzes has been better.
At least that's what I noticed in the SD game.
If you time your blitzes right or otherwise disguise them, I think that makes it harder for the offensive line to adjust before the snap and pick it up.

Very nice post my friend.
One comment on blitzing tied to todays game.

As most of you know I keep a log of what happens during the game.
Not trying to discount what the announcers said, however,..... TWo things happened in the game which limited the LB's abilities to blitz as much as we saw during the Giants and Chargers game.

First the Lions came out early in the game (first 2 series) with multiple reciever sets which caused us to use more DB's than LB's which kindof took away our LB blitz package.

Second, because of the offensives ability to score early and often it pretty much made the Lions one dimensional, resulting in our defense to fall back into the hated cover 2/zone defense so as not to giveup any big plays and then locking down on them when they got close to the Red Zone.
When we do that the LB's need to drop back into coverage and don't have alot of lattitude to blitz.

Again, not a science for how I track this stuff , just my observations, however, I have 9 tick marks next to "LB blitz" in my stats and 6 additional tic marks next to "Showed LB blitz but didnt' blitz".
I saw no safety or CB blitzes during the game.

Additionally, I was really watching to see how many times they actually tried to hide/disguise the blitz, and I only have 4 tics next to "LB Blitz that was delayed/hidden" which is what we saw alot of both during the Giants and Chargers games.

I am not sure how that breaks down as I haven't looked at the stats page yet but as near as I can figure we blitzed about 10-15 times today, depending how you classify a blitz.

That is no were near as much as we did against the Giants and no were near a ton.
;D

kevoncox
12-02-2007, 10:32 PM
"V" wrote:

"kevoncox" wrote:

OL, DL, LB, S

Why does Ol count more than RB?
Cause you can throw a rook rb in and have an above average rush attempt.
Joseph Addai, Lynch.

DL
is the most important group on defense.
A dominating dl can make your secondary look great. It's possible for a secondary to do the same but.....
It's rare. If you have a dline that can limit a qb to 3-4 seconds to throw, your secondary typically have an easy days work.

LBs line everyone

To me a veteren is anything over 3 years.
Since the average career of an NFL player is 3 years.

Bryant McKinnie 6
Steve Hutchinson 7
Anthony Herrera 4
Matt Birk 10 ( old in the tooth)
Ryan Cook 2 - the baby

As you can see our OL is really in the prime of their careers right now.

DL
Kenechi Udeze - 4
Pat Williams - 11
Kevin Williams - 5
Erasmus James -3
Toss in edwards/robinson if you like but still the core is well above the average.

LB
Chad Greenway 2
Ben Leber - 6
E.J. Henderson - 5

Not very young but not very old . Seems to me like we are in thr prime except Greenway.

kevoncox
12-02-2007, 10:41 PM
"Marrdro" wrote:

Not trying to discount what the announcers said, however,..... TWo things happened in the game which limited the LB's abilities to blitz as much as we saw during the Giants and Chargers game.

First the Lions came out early in the game (first 2 series) with multiple reciever sets which caused us to use more DB's than LB's which kindof took away our LB blitz package.

Second, because of the offensives ability to score early and often it pretty much made the Lions one dimensional, resulting in our defense to fall back into the hated cover 2/zone defense so as not to giveup any big plays and then locking down on them when they got close to the Red Zone.
When we do that the LB's need to drop back into coverage and don't have alot of lattitude to blitz.

Again, not a science for how I track this stuff , just my observations, however, I have 9 tick marks next to "LB blitz" in my stats and 6 additional tic marks next to "Showed LB blitz but didnt' blitz".

Additionally, I was really watching to see how many times they actually tried to hide/disguise the blitz, and I only have 4 tics next to "LB Blitz that was delayed/hidden" which is what we saw alot of both during the Giants and Chargers games.

I am not sure how that breaks down as I haven't looked at the stats page yet but as near as I can figure we blitzed about 10-15 times today, depending how you classify a blitz.

That is no were near as much as we did against the Giants and no were near a ton.

;D

Add the lions inability to move the ball. Meant alot less offensive snaps for them/defensive snaps for us.
That would reduce your blitzing as well.

The bottom line is we are getting pressure now and we weren't before.
We are getting QB play now and we weren't before.
We are winning winnable games now and we weren't before.
Childress looks to have matured as a coach IMO.
TJ looked to have matured as a QB IMO.

So now we have an average - above average coach and an Average Qb.
This is what we should have. Was their a team with a worst looking Qb than us thru 6 weeks.

V-Unit
12-02-2007, 10:47 PM
"kevoncox" wrote:

"V" wrote:

"kevoncox" wrote:

OL, DL, LB, S

Why does Ol count more than RB?
Cause you can throw a rook rb in and have an above average rush attempt.
Joseph Addai, Lynch.

DL
is the most important group on defense.
A dominating dl can make your secondary look great. It's possible for a secondary to do the same but.....
It's rare. If you have a dline that can limit a qb to 3-4 seconds to throw, your secondary typically have an easy days work.

LBs line everyone

To me a veteren is anything over 3 years.
Since the average career of an NFL player is 3 years.

Bryant McKinnie 6
Steve Hutchinson 7
Anthony Herrera 4
Matt Birk 10 ( old in the tooth)
Ryan Cook 2 - the baby

As you can see our OL is really in the prime of their careers right now.

DL
Kenechi Udeze - 4
Pat Williams - 11
Kevin Williams - 5
Erasmus James -3
Toss in edwards/robinson if you like but still the core is well above the average.

LB
Chad Greenway 2
Ben Leber - 6
E.J. Henderson - 5

Not very young but not very old . Seems to me like we are in thr prime except Greenway.

OK, that makes sense. I thought you were saying RB, QB, CB and WR were less important positions...you're just saying its more important to have experience on the line, which I can agree with to some degree.

Marrdro
12-02-2007, 11:05 PM
"kevoncox" wrote:

"Marrdro" wrote:

;D

Add the lions inability to move the ball. Meant alot less offensive snaps for them/defensive snaps for us.

This is what we should have. Was their a team with a worst looking Qb than us thru 6 weeks.

A couple you missed......

OL playing up to its potential when it wasn't before.
Again, all it took was time and reps.
WR and QB on the same page.
Seeing alot better (I guess alot applies) timing/synch between the QB and WR's
Again time and reps.

As far as your question about the QB, I would have to say no, but there are/were a few teams close (Raiders, 49'rs, Bears come to mind quickly without checking stats).

Basically though what has changed?
Nothing more than much needed reps an experience for all, including the QB.

Imagine were we might be if TJ would have been able to escape the injury bug which basically started at week 2?

V-Unit
12-02-2007, 11:09 PM
"Marrdro" wrote:

"kevoncox" wrote:

"Marrdro" wrote:

;D

Again time and reps.

As far as your question about the QB, I would have to say no, but there are/were a few teams close (Raiders, 49'rs, Bears come to mind quickly without checking stats).

Imagine were we might be if TJ would have been able to escape the injury bug which basically started at week 2?

We will never agree on this. Tons has changed. Tons. Offensive Strategy, Defensive Strategy, Quarterback Play. How the Ball is shared between our two RBs. I'd go more in-depth but we're just never going to agree.

jargomcfargo
12-02-2007, 11:11 PM
"Marrdro" wrote:

"kevoncox" wrote:

"Marrdro" wrote:

;D

Again time and reps.

Herrera.

kevoncox
12-02-2007, 11:19 PM
"Marrdro" wrote:

"kevoncox" wrote:

"Marrdro" wrote:

;D

Again time and reps.

Never thought about that. However, it's possible that those games he missed allowed him to sit and learn the mentle part of the game a bit more. Maybe it made him work harder as the starting job was basically given to him this season.
I'm glad he went thru it because he has definatly matured. Then again we aren't playing the worlds greatest defenses either. Either way, iron doesn't turn into steel without being put thru some fire.

BBQ Platypus
12-02-2007, 11:32 PM
Well, I already had a hearty helping of crow for dinner.
I'm just coming here for seconds.

(I like my crow medium-well, with a generous amount of Tabasco sauce).

Purple Floyd
12-03-2007, 08:37 AM
Well it's good to see I'm not alone lol.

What I wanted to see coming into this year was improvement and until Oakland IMHO there wasn't enough to appreciate but the last 3 there are certainly signs of life.

Now the question is, was this a trend or an aberration. The next few weeks will tell us quite a bit about this team as we head down the home stretch. Hopefully we can win more than we lose in that time and finish above .500. I am not even concerned at this point if we win them all or make the playoffs as long as we work hard, execute and be aggressive.
If we win one because we were agressive and one goes back the other way I will take it as long as they learn from it and don't go back in their shell offensively.

Marrdro
12-03-2007, 08:39 AM
"PurpleGator" wrote:

"Caine" wrote:

It's about time.

And I'm Lovin' it!!"

Caine

I will also but we have to accomplish that.
We can almost make the playoffs or make the playoffs.
We have to get further than the Packers.
If we do that, I will be there with Caine and Uffda.

Another who has raised the ante'.
Again, I thought the bar was set at "Improve from last year".
When did beating the hated PUKERS in the playoffs get into the mix?

;D

Purple Floyd
12-03-2007, 08:45 AM
So who can make me a sig? ;D

COJOMAY
12-03-2007, 01:27 PM
We fans are so fickle...
I remember back before the season said they would be happy if the Vikes showed improvement by having better than a 6-10 season. Most of us were predicting about 9-7 for the year and thought that would be great. That JUST may get us a "wild card" spot.
Now after winning thee in a row and we are at 6-6 the chant is WE WILL win a playoff spot. (Setting the bar a bit higher).
Now I see a few posts saying "if we don't win at least one playoff game I will be pissed."
And one "clown" even wrote that he would be pissed if we didn't win the Super Bowl.

The point is as the Vikes improve the fans look at the team expecting more and more from them. My remark is what if we don't make the playoffs? What if we lose to (God forbid) SF?
How long will it take for these same people to be back on the fire Childress bandwagon or the TJ sucks bandwagon?
Me, I'm just holding my breath waiting to see the outcomes. Frankly, I'd still be very happy with a 9-7 season and with a good draft like we had this year and a FA I think next year we can be a Super Bowl favorite.

douginc
12-03-2007, 01:58 PM
I have this strange feeling Childress has had his control of this team lessened by the powers above (Wilf).
Watching the game, I saw Bevell coaching and talking with the players more than I ever have in the last two years.
When Tarvaris walked to the sidelines after a time out, he walked right past Childress and talked directly to Bevell.

In my opinion, you don't see such a large swing in a team's ability like this, without a large change in coaching strategy.

For the first time since our first loss of the year to the Lions, I am actually excited for our next game.
I have a feeling Wilf, after our Green Bay game, was seriously threatening to cut the Childress line.
Fan morality had to be near an all time low, and there were alleged rumblings about Chilly making a quick exit, now all of a sudden we're seeing a dramatic new team.
Humans only change their behavior once they are faced with rock bottom, and I think Childress was faced with it.

Do I think B.C. has turned this team around?
Just my opinion, but I doubt it.
I think the balance of coaching power has been changed, and more has been given to the coordinators and input from the players (some of which who have supposedly been near mutiny).

PLAYOFFS!
Now, we can actually start talking playoffs.
I don't care why or how, but the team I watched this Sunday, could have beated ANYONE in the NFC.
Packers, Cowboys, ANYONE.
If this new and improved Vikings team that is playing the way they should comes for the rest of the year, there's no reason we shouldn't be in the postseason, and go deep.
Maybe even earn the right to lose to the Pats, Colts, or Steelers in the Big One.

SKOL
12-03-2007, 01:59 PM
I'd still be happy with 8-8.
Ecstatic with anything better.
Playoffs, win or lose would be beyond expectations.
To me, eating crow is only a consideration when I'm overconfident, and proven wrong, not vice-versa.
I can't mix eating crow with being happy, but that's just me.

Marrdro
12-03-2007, 02:00 PM
"douginc" wrote:

I have this strange feeling Childress has had his control of this team lessened by the powers above (Wilf).
Watching the game, I saw Bevell coaching and talking with the players more than I ever have in the last two years.
When Tarvaris walked to the sidelines after a time out, he walked right past Childress and talked directly to Bevell.

In my opinion, you don't see such a large swing in a team's ability like this, without a large change in coaching strategy.

For the first time since our first loss of the year to the Lions, I am actually excited for our next game.
I have a feeling Wilf, after our Green Bay game, was seriously threatening to cut the Childress line.
Fan morality had to be near an all time low, and there were alleged rumblings about Chilly making a quick exit, now all of a sudden we're seeing a dramatic new team.
Humans only change their behavior once they are faced with rock bottom, and I think Childress was faced with it.

I think the balance of coaching power has been changed, and more has been given to the coordinators and input from the players (some of which who have supposedly been near mutiny).

PLAYOFFS!
I don't care why or how, but the team I watched this Sunday, could have beated ANYONE in the NFC.
If this new and improved Vikings team that is playing the way they should comes for the rest of the year, there's no reason we shouldn't be in the postseason, and go deep.
Maybe even earn the right to lose to the Pats, Colts, or Steelers in the Big One.

I thought when you posted onion articles you had to provide a link with it.
::)

douginc
12-03-2007, 02:15 PM
"Marrdro" wrote:

"douginc" wrote:

PLAYOFFS!

Ha!
I KNEW you'd be the first to comment on my post, Mar.
:)

Watch the game again, and ONLY watch the players interactions with Childress.
It's rather surprising.
I TiVoed the game and watched it 3 times now (yes, I've been bored).
All the offensive players talk with Bevell ONLY.
Childress at times walks up to TJack, then simply walks away without saying a word.

I could be 100% wrong, but it might make logical sense.
I'm not one to ever say "I'm RIGHT gol 'darnit it!"
I just question, then observe.......It makes it sting less when what you were thinking was completely off target.
;)

It also bugs me a little bit when people say, "Hey, his job was never in doubt, Wilf said so".
If he job was never in doubt, why would it even need to be said?
It's just like how Bill Gates's wife says, "I would have loved him even if he was poor".
If it's true.......it really doesn't need to be said.
Once it's said, you know there's the possibility of it.
The Colts owner has never come out and said, "Dungy's job isn't in question".

Marrdro
12-03-2007, 02:21 PM
"douginc" wrote:

"Marrdro" wrote:

"douginc" wrote:

PLAYOFFS!

Ha!

It's rather surprising.
Childress at times walks up to TJack, then simply walks away without saying a word.

I just question, then observe.......

That is cause I am bored and been waiting to talk football all day my friend.
;D

It is a great observations and I made the very same one (only just with a focus on Tavaris) about Rodgers role, however, isn't that what the HC is supposed to do?
Isn't that what most of us (me included) have been asking for?
Keep an eye on the big picture, work the refs and let his staff coach the team?

Tivo another game of another coach and you will see the same thing my friend.

Honestly, do you really think that the owner would take power away from the HC and give it to his coaching staff?
That would be like the Commodore of the squadron coming onboard the Ship and telling the officers that they now had more power and that the Capt was just a figure head.

Again, a very good observation though. Do you like your Tivo?
I am struggling with getting one.
;D

jargomcfargo
12-03-2007, 02:26 PM
"COJOMAY" wrote:

We fans are so fickle...
I remember back before the season said they would be happy if the Vikes showed improvement by having better than a 6-10 season. Most of us were predicting about 9-7 for the year and thought that would be great. That JUST may get us a "wild card" spot.
Now after winning thee in a row and we are at 6-6 the chant is WE WILL win a playoff spot. (Setting the bar a bit higher).
Now I see a few posts saying "if we don't win at least one playoff game I will be pissed."
And one "clown" even wrote that he would be pissed if we didn't win the Super Bowl.

The point is as the Vikes improve the fans look at the team expecting more and more from them. My remark is what if we don't make the playoffs? What if we lose to (God forbid) SF?
How long will it take for these same people to be back on the fire Childress bandwagon or the TJ sucks bandwagon?
Me, I'm just holding my breath waiting to see the outcomes. Frankly, I'd still be very happy with a 9-7 season and with a good draft like we had this year and a FA I think next year we can be a Super Bowl favorite.

Fickle for sure. I want more also after getting a little taste. But even 7-9 is ok with me! That would break down to 3-6 first half and 4-3 second half. I call that improvement. That's what I was looking for.

Expectations will be higher next year but Green Bay is still going to be high hurdle for us.

And who knows, we just might make the playoffs this year.

COJOMAY
12-03-2007, 02:28 PM
I'm sure the position coaches and defensive coordinator take their "marching orders" from BC. And wasn't it Childress who said at the beginning of the year he was going to give more responsibil9ty to the coaches so he could be more aware of the overall game?

douginc
12-03-2007, 02:29 PM
"Marrdro" wrote:

"douginc" wrote:

"Marrdro" wrote:

"douginc" wrote:

PLAYOFFS!

Ha!

It's rather surprising.

;D

It is a great observations and I made the very same one (only just with a focus on Tavaris) about Rodgers role, however, isn't that what the HC is supposed to do?

Honestly, do you really think that the owner would take power away from the HC and give it to his coaching staff?
That would be like the Commodore of the squadron coming onboard the Ship and telling the officers that they now had more power and that the Capt was just a figure head.

;D

I'm old fashioned, and my girlfriend (soon to be wife) swore by Tivo (well, ours is a Comcast DVR, but same thing) since her family had one.
I thought it was unnecessary, but after getting it, it's one of those I can't imagine being without it kind of things.

I don't know about Childress.
I honestly think he's truly amazing at 2 aspects of football:
Offensive Coordination and Talent Evaluation.
Maybe perhaps he's focusing his roles more on his coordinating.
Just a wild guess (something that was speculated on Mike and Mike in the morning as well).
That last game, whew, it seemed like the vast majority of all our plays were highly successful.
And our 3rd down conversions!
Wow, what an amazing change since the Green Bay debacle.
Whatever the change, it needs to STAY in place.
I've liked the Tarvaris pick since the draft and never wavered from the fact I think he's got it.
I think any struggles are learning curves, poor coaching, lack of offensive line holding pressure long enough,
or a combination.
I've heard on KFAN (don't know if it's true, just hearsay) that the playbook has been simplified for him.
If so, Bravo!
Because, it really seems to be working.
I could easily see us winning out if TJack can continue to have this kind of time in the pocket.

Linehan used to run an ABC 123 offense when we dominated with Moss and Carter.
Other teams and their fans used to laugh at us and our 'baby book offense' when Moss went to Oakland and said their playbook was much more dense than ours.
Yeah, we all see how well their offense did compared to ours from 98-04.
Simplistic seems to sometimes be best, especially for a wet behind the ears QB.

Marrdro
12-03-2007, 02:36 PM
"douginc" wrote:

"Marrdro" wrote:

"douginc" wrote:

"Marrdro" wrote:

"douginc" wrote:

PLAYOFFS!

Ha!

It's rather surprising.

;D

;D

I'm old fashioned, and my girlfriend (soon to be wife) swore by Tivo (well, ours is a Comcast DVR, but same thing) since her family had one.
I thought it was unnecessary, but after getting it, it's one of those I can't imagine being without it kind of things.

I've liked the Tarvaris pick since the draft and never wavered from the fact I think he's got it.
I think any struggles are learning curves, poor coaching, lack of offensive line holding pressure long enough,
or a combination.
I've heard on KFAN (don't know if it's true, just hearsay) that the playbook has been simplified for him.
If so, Bravo!
I could easily see us winning out if TJack can continue to have this kind of time in the pocket.

People used to laugh at us when Moss went to Oakland and say the playbook was much more dense.

Congrats on the upcoming nuptuals (sp).
;D

I want a Tivo, Wildwoman doesn't. I might win as I am getting her a HDTV for her room for her Birthday/Christmas.

Anyway, back to the thread.
Did you see the link were we were discussing the whole Scheme, versus change, versus playbook being opened more?

I contend that the playbook was simplified in the beginning of the year and because of the reps/experience by the whole team (and not just TJ) they are in fact opening the playbook as the year goes on and not limiting it.
OL is playing better which leads to more latitude to put a TE or a RB into more situations other than blocking, QB has a bigger pocket with lets him see the field better, wider passing lanes etc etc etc.

Long story short, we are seeing more complex plays, less predictability and a more potent offense.
That my friend is/can be attributed to the kids executing what is taught and the teachers teaching more.

My opinion of course.
;D

Redrouster
12-03-2007, 02:36 PM
"kevoncox" wrote:

I will not eat crow.

It's not the win over the Lions, it is the way it was done, COMPLETELY! Offense, defense and special teams. The Giants and the Lions games both looked the same in respect on how the Vikes played and that is what we have to be excited about, not who they beat! GO VIKES!

Purple Floyd
12-03-2007, 02:40 PM
"douginc" wrote:

"Marrdro" wrote:

"douginc" wrote:

"Marrdro" wrote:

"douginc" wrote:

PLAYOFFS!

Ha!

It's rather surprising.

;D

;D

Just a wild guess (something that was speculated on Mike and Mike in the morning as well).
That last game, whew, it seemed like the vast majority of all our plays were highly successful.
or a combination.
If so, Bravo!

Other teams and their fans used to laugh at us and our 'baby book offense' when Moss went to Oakland and said their playbook was much more dense than ours.

carter played for the Vikings through 2001. Linehan became the OC in 2002. ;)

The offenses that we run now and what we had under Green/Tice for many years have much the same look, just different terminology and a change in the way they block up front. When we drafted Moss and had Cunningham and George it became more vertical. But look at it pre and post moss.

Marrdro
12-03-2007, 02:41 PM
"UffDaVikes" wrote:

"douginc" wrote:

"Marrdro" wrote:

"douginc" wrote:

"Marrdro" wrote:

PLAYOFFS!

Ha!

It's rather surprising.

;D

;D

or a combination.
If so, Bravo!

The offenses that we run now and what we had under Green/Tice for many years have much the same look, just different terminology and a change in the way they block up front. When we drafted Moss and had Cunningham and George it became more vertical. But look at it pre and post moss.

There ya go.
I had an opportunity to use that stuff and gaffed it.

That was a good article by the way.
;D

Purple Floyd
12-03-2007, 02:44 PM
"Marrdro" wrote:

"UffDaVikes" wrote:

"douginc" wrote:

"Marrdro" wrote:

"douginc" wrote:

PLAYOFFS!

Ha!

It's rather surprising.

;D

;D

or a combination.
If so, Bravo!

There ya go.

;D

I can't believe you missed that one. he pitched you a meatball for gods sake ;D

Marrdro
12-03-2007, 02:47 PM
"UffDaVikes" wrote:

"Marrdro" wrote:

"UffDaVikes" wrote:

"douginc" wrote:

"Marrdro" wrote:

PLAYOFFS!

Ha!

It's rather surprising.

;D

;D

or a combination.
If so, Bravo!

There ya go.

;D

I can't believe you missed that one. he pitched you a meatball for gods sake ;D

I know, thanks for the cover.
;D

Mr-holland
12-03-2007, 02:49 PM
"Redrouster" wrote:

"kevoncox" wrote:

I will not eat crow.

It's not the win over the Lions, it is the way it was done, COMPLETELY! Offense, defense and special teams. The Giants and the Lions games both looked the same in respect on how the Vikes played and that is what we have to be excited about, not who they beat! GO VIKES!

Thanks for that positive post, i agree.
It's not that we beat the Lions in December, it's that we've beaten an rival who also is in the playoff race, and that we are now .500 and we have some chances to get in the Play-offs.
Also i'm glad that the adjustments have been made, otherwise there would've been no way, no way we'd be 6-6 but more likely 4-8. so the growing process is only getting better and as well has been the coaching. give it some time, we're gonne be big time contenders

bleedpurple
12-03-2007, 03:04 PM
its hard to argue that the way we played yesterday, we could have beaten anybody... but nonetheless, i'd still like our defense to play that way against a top notch QB... we have yet to do that..!!!

Still though, good win and with TJ playing the way he's playing on a consistent basis, I see us opening up the passing game even more so, which could definately be scary...

True testiment to pateince is a virtue...

NodakPaul
12-03-2007, 03:13 PM
"kevoncox" wrote:

I will not eat crow.

You are missing the point.
There are a lot of people who have said that Childress has done everything wrong, or was a horrible coach, or would never be a good HC, etc etc.
There are a lot of people who called for Childress's head after the GB loss.
Nobody is saying that Childress is doing everything right.
But a real man can admit when he was wrong.
I was among those who was calling for Childress's head after the GB loss.
I can man up and eat my crow.
I was wrong to judge him before the season was over.

So by saying that you will not eat crow, you are saying that either a) you never made any negative judgments about Childress or b) you can't admit that any of your posts were wrong?
Just curious, what exactly was wrong with the way we managed the clock at the end of the game yesterday?
Or the week before?
Or the week before?

Childress, whether we want to believe it or not, has put together 4 impressive wins in 5 games.
He started out the season slow, yes.
But it is the way you finish that really matters.

Purple D
12-03-2007, 03:18 PM
"NodakPaul" wrote:

"kevoncox" wrote:

I will not eat crow.

There are a lot of people who have said that Childress has done everything wrong, or was a horrible coach, or would never be a good HC, etc etc.

So by saying that you will not eat crow, you are saying that either a) you never made any negative judgments about Childress or b) you can't admit that any of your posts were wrong?
Just curious, what exactly was wrong with the way we managed the clock at the end of the game yesterday?
Or the week before?
Or the week before?

Childress, whether we want to believe it or not, has put together 4 impressive wins in 5 games.

It is the way you finish.
Wasn't it the Steelers who finished very strong after a poor start to the season the year they won the Superbowl.
You have to be playing your best at the end of the season.
We seem to be doing that.
Will we go to the Superbowl and win?
Probably not .
Will we make a run at the playoffs ?
Yes we will.
Will I keep rambling on?
No I wont.

NodakPaul
12-03-2007, 03:28 PM
"Purple" wrote:

"NodakPaul" wrote:

"kevoncox" wrote:

I will not eat crow.

Or the week before?
Or the week before?

Wasn't it the Steelers who finished very strong after a poor start to the season the year they won the Superbowl.
Probably not .
Yes we will.
Will I keep rambling on?
No I wont.

They didn't have a poor start - they started 7-2.
But then went on a three game losing streak after that and looked to be done before finishing the season on four straight wins.
You are right, it is how you finish that really makes the difference.
I would much rather be playing my best football in December than in August or September.

El Vikingo
12-03-2007, 03:31 PM
Glad to eat some crows at the end of the season If we keep playing like yesterday.

I d swear ,It has grown some hair in Chilly´s head in this 2 weeks....

Purple D
12-03-2007, 03:31 PM
"NodakPaul" wrote:

"Purple" wrote:

"NodakPaul" wrote:

"kevoncox" wrote:

I will not eat crow.

Or the week before?
Or the week before?

Probably not .
Yes we will.

Will I keep rambling on?
No I wont.

But then went on a three game losing streak after that and looked to be done before finishing the season on four straight wins.
I would much rather be playing my best football in December than in August or September.

My Bad I thought they were 10-6 and a wild card team that year and they beat Indy in Indy .

Maybe that wasn't the year they won the Superbowl?

NodakPaul
12-03-2007, 03:36 PM
"Purple" wrote:

"NodakPaul" wrote:

"Purple" wrote:

"NodakPaul" wrote:

"kevoncox" wrote:

I will not eat crow.

Or the week before?
Or the week before?

Probably not .
Yes we will.
Will I keep rambling on?
No I wont.

My Bad I thought they were 10-6 and a wild card team that year and they beat Indy in Indy .

Hmmmm.
I could be wrong.
I was going from memory.
Let me check...
I think they were the wild card that year, but I don't remember their final record.

Purple Floyd
12-03-2007, 03:39 PM
"NodakPaul" wrote:

"Purple" wrote:

"NodakPaul" wrote:

"Purple" wrote:

"NodakPaul" wrote:

I will not eat crow.

Or the week before?
Or the week before?

Probably not .
Yes we will.
Will I keep rambling on?
No I wont.

Hmmmm.
I could be wrong.
I was going from memory.
Let me check...
I think they were the wild card that year, but I don't remember their final record.

The patriots started off slow their first super bowl year under Belly.

I think they were under .500 until Brady came in and then they went on a roll and won it. I was actually thinking of that scenario after Sundays game. (And I was SOBER!) ;D

Purple D
12-03-2007, 04:01 PM
"UffDaVikes" wrote:

"NodakPaul" wrote:

"Purple" wrote:

"NodakPaul" wrote:

"Purple" wrote:

I will not eat crow.

Or the week before?
Or the week before?

Probably not .
Yes we will.

Will I keep rambling on?
No I wont.

Hmmmm.
I could be wrong.
I was going from memory.
Let me check...

I think they were under .500 until Brady came in and then they went on a roll and won it. I was actually thinking of that scenario after Sundays game. (And I was SOBER!) ;D

I still think that the year the Steelers did it, they got lucky to make the wild card.
It was close.
Then they went on to win the Superbowl.

NodakPaul
12-03-2007, 04:41 PM
"Purple" wrote:

I still think that the year the Steelers did it, they got lucky to make the wild card.
It was close.
Then they went on to win the Superbowl.

http://www.nfl.com/standings?category=div&season=2005-REG&split=Overall

The Steelers were the 6th wild card team the year they won the super bowl.
They started the season 7-2, lost three straight, then finished strong with 4 straight wins to end the regular season 11-5.

KC was only one game behind them, and I believe that KC would have had the tie breaker had Pitt lost one more or KC won one more.

bleedpurple
12-03-2007, 05:06 PM
"UffDaVikes" wrote:

"NodakPaul" wrote:

"Purple" wrote:

"NodakPaul" wrote:

"Purple" wrote:

I will not eat crow.

Or the week before?
Or the week before?

Probably not .
Yes we will.

Will I keep rambling on?
No I wont.

Hmmmm.
I could be wrong.
I was going from memory.
Let me check...

Brady came in and led to the superbowl after bledsoe got hurt in the second game of the season... they were under 500 because they lost the first two games then went 11-3 the rest of the way to win the superbowl!!!

bleedpurple
12-03-2007, 05:19 PM
if you look at TJ's qb rating compared to brady's the 2001 season.. not looking at wins.. it looks awfully similar...
up and down up and down...

Vinland
12-03-2007, 05:55 PM
I questioned a number of the coaching decisions, childress and TJ.
Now I am in a holding pattern to see what happens.
I want the kid to succeed and am encouraged by his play the last 3 weeks but I ain't eating no crow yet!!

Frostbite
12-03-2007, 06:03 PM
Hmmm... Don't think it's time to eat Crow yet (But will gladly do so) if and when T.Jack proves he's consistant. He's had 3 good games (that's a stretch) but he has shown a lot of improvement. I have said that I don't see him as a Franchise QB and I still stand by that. He has a long way to go but is making wonderful strides in the right direction. I have caught the crow and caged it....going to fatten it up first. This should take about 4 games I think. At the end of the season I will either open the cage and release it or open the cage and fork it!

Cheers!

marstc09
12-09-2007, 04:52 PM
Nice touchdown catch by Ferguson! I will not eat my crow yet but nice job Robert.

marstc09
12-09-2007, 05:19 PM
"marstc09" wrote:

Nice touchdown catch by Ferguson! I will not eat my crow yet but nice job Robert.

OK OK Beautiful block by Ferguson on that Chester Taylor 84 yarder for a TD. I am starting to eat the crow!

lakehubertviking
12-11-2007, 04:13 PM
Vikings have turned around their ship
Vikings' surge has critics eating their words

Adam Schein eats some crow.
Kind of.

Minnesota was a total eyesore during its 3-6 start. The quarterback play was wretched. The receivers couldn't catch a cold. The pass defense remained a major weakness. There were whispers that Childress had lost the locker room. The season looked completely hopeless after the Vikes got spanked 34-0 in Green Bay.

The turnaround has been pronounced and remarkable. But will it end with a berth in the playoffs?

Brad Childress and his staff deserve so much praise for how things have clicked over Minnesota's recent four-game winning streak.

http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/story/7551490?MSNHPHMA

marstc09
12-17-2007, 08:52 PM
"marstc09" wrote:

"marstc09" wrote:

OK OK Beautiful block by Ferguson on that Chester Taylor 84 yarder for a TD. I am starting to eat the crow!

I take this back! Ferguson you suck! Hold on to the ball!

PurpleGator
12-17-2007, 09:13 PM
"marstc09" wrote:

"marstc09" wrote:

"marstc09" wrote:

Wow thats all I will say.

marstc09
12-17-2007, 11:51 PM
"marstc09" wrote:

"marstc09" wrote:

"marstc09" wrote:

AHHHHH! I do not know what to think now. Nice 71 yarder!

PurplePumpkin
12-18-2007, 12:01 AM
"marstc09" wrote:

"marstc09" wrote:

"marstc09" wrote:

"marstc09" wrote:

Are chatting with yourself
LOL

PurpleGator
12-18-2007, 12:03 AM
"PurplePumpkin" wrote:

"marstc09" wrote:

"marstc09" wrote:

"marstc09" wrote:

"marstc09" wrote:

Are chatting with yourself
LOL

A win is a win.