PDA

View Full Version : Joey Browner compared to HoF Safties

ultravikingfan
11-29-2007, 01:53 PM
Since the Hall of Fame selection process is upon us and every year people wonder why Joey Browner is not in there, here are the stats and other info on the 8 Safeties in the Hall.

*Tackle data unavailable prior to 2001

Joey Browner

Games:
INT:
TD:
Fumble Rec:
16 w/ 1 TD
6 Pro Bowls
1980s ALL-DECADE TEAM

Ken Houston

Games:
INT:
TD:
Fumble Rec:
21 w/ 1 TD
12 Pro Bowl
NFL 75th Anniversary All-Time Team
NFL 1970s All-Decade Team
All-Pro or All-AFC/NFC eight of nine years,

Paul Krause

Games:
INT:
81 (NFL Record)
TD:
Fumble Rec:
19 w/ 3 TD
8 Pro Bowl
4 All-NFL
Started at free safety in four Super Bowls, five NFL/NFC championship games
Missed only 2 games due to injuries

Yale Lary

Games:
INT:
TD:
Fumble Rec:
13 w/ 1 TD
5 All-NFL
9 Pro Bowl
NFL 1950s All-Decade Team

Mel Renfro (Safety and CB)

Games:
INT:
TD:
Fumble Rec: 12 w/ 3 TD's
10 Pro Bowl
4 All-Pro
3 All-NFC
Played in eight NFL/NFC championship games and four Super Bowls.

Emlen Tunnell

Games:
INT:
TD:
Fumble Rec: ?
6 All-NFL
9 Pro Bowls
Named NFL's all-time safety, 1969
NFL 1950s All-Decade Team

Larry Wilson

Games:
INT:
TD:
Fumble Rec: 17
6 All-NFL
8 Pro Bowls
NFL 1970s All-Decade Team
NFL 1960s All-Decade Team
The Sporting News' list of the 100 Greatest Football Players at #43.

Willie Wood

Games:
INT:
TD:
Fumble Rec: 16 w/ 2 TD's
NFL 1960s All-Decade Team
9 All-NFL
8 Pro Bowls

Ronnie Lott

Games:
INT:
TD:
Fumble Rec: 16 w/ 2 TD's
8 All-Pro
6 All-NFC
1 All-AFC
10 Pro Bowls
NFL 1980s All-Decade Team
NFL 1990s All-Decade Team
He is one of the few players to receive the award of 'All Pro' at three different positions (FS, SS, CB)
In 1999, he was ranked number 23 on The Sporting News' list of the 100 Greatest Football Players

Marrdro
11-29-2007, 01:56 PM
Thanks Ultra,

I was very depressed when I started matching/comparing his numers with the guys already in there.

Sad to say, but he probably won't ever see the hall.

Ahhhhh to watch him lay the lumber, what a joy.
He will always be a HOF in my eyes.

ultravikingfan
11-29-2007, 02:01 PM
"Marrdro" wrote:

Thanks Ultra,

I was very depressed when I started matching/comparing his numers with the guys already in there.

Even though he was a great Safety, I have to be honest (and take off the Purple tinted glasses) and say he will not make the Hall of Fame.
Does he deserve it? Maybe.

Frostbite
11-29-2007, 02:05 PM
Thanks Ultravikingsfan....The number of games he played in is obviously the main reason his other stats are not a little better overall. I noticed the other guys played a lot more games. I really like this guy a lot. He was never all that fast, more quick and seemed to have a knack for being in the right place on the field at the right time to make a play. Saw him get burned a few times too taking gambles on making the INT.....but what a tackle guy! Hard hitter....one of the greats from Vikings history and the NFL....As Marrdro said...Hall of Famer in my eyes.

Cheers!

Marrdro
11-29-2007, 02:08 PM
"ultravikingfan" wrote:

"Marrdro" wrote:

Thanks Ultra,

Even though he was a great Safety, I have to be honest (and take off the Purple tinted glasses) and say he will not make the Hall of Fame.
Does he deserve it? Maybe.

I agree.
For some reason us fans seem to gravitate to a player and see what we want to see, in this case I thought he would have had comparable numbers with some of the greats.

Damn fans, we are always wrong.
;D

bleedpurple
11-29-2007, 03:28 PM
JB was the man!!! He would murder people coming across the middle with his hits... Remember when Denny Green came in and cut him??? i was pissed.. i thought we were gonna be terrible, i'm like how do you cut JB??

We ended up making the playoffs that year... he was the man, back in the day though...

tastywaves
11-29-2007, 04:16 PM
He had the glow.

Now, when I say, "Who's da mastah?" you say, "Sho'nuff!"

http://www.fasterwebs.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2007/08/shonuff.jpg

Joey's alter ego.

PackSux!
11-29-2007, 06:05 PM
I would like to see the stats on solo tackles of all them hall of famers compaired to Browner.
Nobody could shake loose of his death grip.

Purple Floyd
11-29-2007, 06:15 PM
He was the second best safety we have ever had but his numbers are not there to get in the HOF.

Still, he was my favorite Viking to watch during that era and I will always have fond memories of watching him just about decapitate Phil Simms at the dome in 1986. A game we should have won.

Marrdro
11-30-2007, 09:35 AM
"bleedpurple" wrote:

JB was the man!!! He would murder people coming across the middle with his hits... Remember when Denny Green came in and cut him??? i was pissed.. i thought we were gonna be terrible, i'm like how do you cut JB??

We ended up making the playoffs that year... he was the man, back in the day though...

I do remember that, in fact, I have stated on here a few times that not only did I despise Denny for letting him go.

I learned another big leason that year........

Your loyalty should be to the team and not to a specific player.
Love em and cheer for them but someday they will leave and somebody will be the bad guy that let them go.
Usually, no matter how smart of a fan you think you are, that bad guy is right.

Hopefully the team will always be there.
For me it has been since 1961.

Skol Vikes.

RichPerez
09-17-2013, 01:21 AM
What your forgetting is the NFL does have his Tackles now 1090 ! thats way way more than all others on this list. Also!!!!! Joey Browner is the starting safety of the all 1980's NFL team of the decade. Thats enough really to make us all angry he is not in there. Two huge stats, NO SAFETY can touch! you cannot compare to only theses guys, are you going to say Roger Wherli was better than Joey? DBs are all bunched together not by safeties. I have a hall of fame influence on the vote and I easily say Joey is overdue!

Minniman
09-17-2013, 08:39 AM
Browner's picks per game is the same as Ken Houston. Browner, like Millard, needed a few more injury free seasons. He also started on special teams in his first two seasons.

Purple Floyd
09-17-2013, 09:56 AM
A SB ring would have helped those guys too.

tarkenton10
09-17-2013, 10:13 AM
"ultravikingfan" wrote:

I agree.
For some reason us fans seem to gravitate to a player and see what we want to see, in this case I thought he would have had comparable numbers with some of the greats.

Damn fans, we are always wrong.
;D

You weren't wrong and he was good enough to make the HOF! Here are some numbers broken down in per game percentages which will even the playing field.

Joey Browner

INTs per game - .25%
Fumble recovery - .11%
TDs per game - .02%

Mel Renfro

INTs per game - .29%
Fumble recovery - .06%
TDs per game - .017%

Yale Lary

INTs per game - .37%
Fumble recovery - .09%
TDs per game - .015%