PDA

View Full Version : Blitz blitz blitz!!!

idahovikefan7
11-29-2007, 03:06 AM
It seems like we have played so much better as a whole team when we force the quarterback to make throws. The more we blitz the better off we are. While getting to the qb our DB's don't have to try so hard.

Put it this way..we have the best rush defense in the NFL and the worst pass D, which means teams are scared to run on us so they resort to the pass. That is the reason teams have passed the ball down our throats all season.

I say we blitz the living crap out of Kitna all game not allowing him to throw the ball. Look what the change ups and blitz did against the Giants. We were in Manning's face all game long, which caused him to throw four interceptions because he was forcing the pass.

We blitz enough, we win....What do you guys think?

El Vikingo
11-29-2007, 04:10 AM
Last game at Detroit we tried to blitz but didn´t work at all cause of the great game the OL of The Lions had.
I would also say blitz ,we have tried many times to use a cover-prevent D and haven´t worked ,in the other hand the blitz has worked many times for us (SD or NY).

Blitz and blitz fine.

Marrdro
11-29-2007, 07:08 AM
I'm just not sure how all of a sudden the whole football world (at least here on PPO) believes that alot of blitzing is a good thing when in fact most things you read on blitzing says it is a high risk, high reward play call.

Anyone but me ever heard of the old cliche' "Live by the blitz, die by the blitz"?

Look, I am not against blitzing, infact I believe it is a very important play that the D can use, however, if we have to keep blitzing at the rate we are, someone (i.e. the GB game) will just pick it apart.

The right answer is to get pressure with the front 4 and throw in a few blitz packages to keep them off balance.

It just mystifies me (as some of you probably can tell from my posts this week) why everyone is so excited about this.

Can I ask you Madden guys a serious question?
Do you guys blitz alot in the game?

Prophet
11-29-2007, 08:10 AM
"Marrdro" wrote:

...Can I ask you Madden guys a serious question?

Oh oh.
The beginning of your downfall.
Relating success in a video game to real life.
I'm going to start a spreadsheet and move you over a few columns.

Marrdro
11-29-2007, 08:15 AM
"Prophet" wrote:

"Marrdro" wrote:

Oh oh.

No it is a serious question.

I am of the mind that alot of people on here seem to like blitzing, or at least believe it is a way to be successfull if used alot without understanding the ramifications.

If it in fact works in Madden, then it would at least help me rationalize how/why everyone thinks we need to do it all the time.

Vikes_King
11-29-2007, 08:15 AM
"Prophet" wrote:

"Marrdro" wrote:

Oh oh.

i'll blitz like crazy if they're deep in their own territory or on third & longs.
but normally no, i try and not blitz often in madden, but when you can't get at them using only your front 4 you can throw in plays where only one of your LB's or safties will blitz.
But every now and then its fun to throw an all out blitz
;D

Best part about the newer Madden's is that they've added a function where you can select a single player, and choose "Defensive playmaker" and change what you want that single player to do, with out changing the play. (be it blitz, qb spy etc, anything u can think of)

Marrdro
11-29-2007, 08:18 AM
"Vikes_King" wrote:

"Prophet" wrote:

"Marrdro" wrote:

Oh oh.

i'll blitz like crazy if they're deep in their own territory or on third & longs.
but normally no, i try and not blitz often in madden, but when you can't get at them using only your front 4 you can throw in plays where only one of your LB's or safties will blitz.
But every now and then its fun to throw an all out blitz
;D

Best part about the newer Madden's is that they've added a function where you can select a single player, and choose "Defensive playmaker" and change what you want that single player to do, with out changing the play. (be it blitz, qb spy etc, anything u can think of)

Very interesting.

I guess I should go watch Wildman play a couple of times and see what he does as well.

duvaldomo
11-29-2007, 08:35 AM
"Marrdro" wrote:

I'm just not sure how all of a sudden the whole football world (at least here on PPO) believes that alot of blitzing is a good thing when in fact most things you read on blitzing says it is a high risk, high reward play call.

Anyone but me ever heard of the old cliche' "Live by the blitz, die by the blitz"?

Look, I am not against blitzing, infact I believe it is a very important play that the D can use, however, if we have to keep blitzing at the rate we are, someone (i.e. the GB game) will just pick it apart.

The right answer is to get pressure with the front 4 and throw in a few blitz packages to keep them off balance.

It just mystifies me (as some of you probably can tell from my posts this week) why everyone is so excited about this.

well Im in a tournament atm against my family, we play every weekend (Me: vikings vs giants,eagles,packers,raiders,bengals,cowboys, and TB). Im 5-1 right now and I blitz almost every play unless its 3rd and long then I do cover 2 or w/e.

Marrdro
11-29-2007, 09:04 AM
"duvaldomo" wrote:

"Marrdro" wrote:

well Im in a tournament atm against my family, we play every weekend (Me: vikings vs giants,eagles,packers,raiders,bengals,cowboys, and TB). Im 5-1 right now and I blitz almost every play unless its 3rd and long then I do cover 2 or w/e.

Thanks my friend.
Couple of quick questions......

Is the experience level of the players (your family) all about the same?
Which team gives you the most problems when you blitz that much?
Do you get burned on deep or short routes when you blitz that much?
If so, what is the percentage (roughly) of success (Pass defended/pass complete)?

Congrats on being 5-1 against that crowd my friend.
;D

The Dropper
11-29-2007, 09:13 AM
Blitzing the whole game against the Lions is a terrible idea IMO. They will already line up a good portion of the with four wideouts. Does anyone think that even with the blitz we will be able to get to Kitna before he's able to find at least one of these receivers? I would be extremely wary of pass-rushing more than five against this team.

The best bet will simply be to mix it up often. Make them think you're blitzing when you're not; blitz when they're completely unprepared for it. It's not rocket science.

Marrdro
11-29-2007, 09:27 AM
"The" wrote:

Blitzing the whole game against the Lions is a terrible idea IMO. They will already line up a good portion of the with four wideouts. Does anyone think that even with the blitz we will be able to get to Kitna before he's able to find at least one of these receivers? I would be extremely wary of pass-rushing more than five against this team.

The best bet will simply be to mix it up often. Make them think you're blitzing when you're not; blitz when they're completely unprepared for it. It's not rocket science.

Now your talking sense.

Kindof like how the Chiller described it in his press conf.

Q: Darren Sharper talked after the game on Sunday about being able to do a little bit more, move people around, things like that.
Have you looked for ways to get him and Smith more involved as opposed to the first part of the year?

A: I think that both of those guys did a great job in that game of disguising their intentions to a rather late period of time, where they showed the quarterback, demonstrated one thing that he said things a certain way and then really they showed him something quite different.
So they have the freedom within the system to be able to do that. There are parameters, just like those linebackers I thought did an outstanding job of moving themselves around.
There are times where he can be free and play the quarterback’s eyes or play crossers or double a receiver and there are times where he has a certain set. I am standing in the third or I have a half and we kind of balance those things out I think with both of those guys.

http://www.purplepride.org/forums/index.php?topic=40004.msg681710#msg681710

MNgriff
11-29-2007, 09:38 AM
"Marrdro" wrote:

Depends on the opponent. If I'm playing someone that hikes the ball and goes backwards until they throw it off their back foot about 20 behind the line of scrimmage then I like to apply pressure with my OLBs and sit in a zone spy just waiting for the lame duck. Against players that sit in the pocket and take a couple of steps to avoid pressure but get the pass off before a hit then you have to give make sure guys are covered or else they'll throw to the holes in the zone or even deep every play and make it. Blitzing every play is bad thinking. I do like to use one or two formations on a consistent basis to give the player the same look but do things differently. Then after he gets comfy I can usually bring the blitz and get him for a loss. Big risk tho because the guys going deep won't be covered most of the time and the smart guy will see it coming from a mile away and just audible to a fly and you just gave up a TD. If he brings LB's then as soon as they creep into the box I audible to an outside pitch and burn em. A lot has to do with the skill of the opponent on what you can and can't get away with.

Prophet
11-29-2007, 09:42 AM
If you do the blitz barrage with an experienced QB like Favre or Brady they will eat you alive.
Do it to the likes of TJack or some other greenhorn or a QB that can't move to the next level of play it's not such a bad call.
Like someone else said, you have to mix it up or it won't be effective in most cases.

Marrdro
11-29-2007, 09:42 AM
"MNgriff" wrote:

"Marrdro" wrote:

Depends on the opponent. If I'm playing someone that hikes the ball and goes backwards until they throw it off their back foot about 20 behind the line of scrimmage then I like to apply pressure with my OLBs and sit in a zone spy just waiting for the lame duck. Against players that sit in the pocket and take a couple of steps to avoid pressure but get the pass off before a hit then you have to give make sure guys are covered or else they'll throw to the holes in the zone or even deep every play and make it. Blitzing every play is bad thinking. I do like to use one or two formations on a consistent basis to give the player the same look but do things differently. Then after he gets comfy I can usually bring the blitz and get him for a loss. Big risk tho because the guys going deep won't be covered most of the time and the smart guy will see it coming from a mile away and just audible to a fly and you just gave up a TD. If he brings LB's then as soon as they creep into the box I audible to an outside pitch and burn em. A lot has to do with the skill of the opponent on what you can and can't get away with.

Thanks my friend.
Sounds like the game has some realism to it.

Kindof blows my scenario out the window though that the idea to blitz all the time might be coming from Madden players.

Again thanks.

MNgriff
11-29-2007, 09:48 AM
Oh I think most madden players bitz every down because they only play weak opponents, it's just like the vikes, if we play a weak opponent then blitzing works because they have trouble identifying the openings but the good guys will get you every time.

Marrdro
11-29-2007, 09:52 AM
"Prophet" wrote:

If you do the blitz barrage with an experienced QB like Favre or Brady they will eat you alive.
Do it to the likes of TJack or some other greenhorn or a QB that can't move to the next level of play it's not such a bad call.
Like someone else said, you have to mix it up or it won't be effective in most cases.

You are very wise and I agree, but for some reason we seem to have a "Blitz on every down" faction on here and I, for the life of me, can't figure out why/where that rationale would come from.

PurpleTide
11-29-2007, 09:59 AM
"The" wrote:

We have to mix the blitz in carefully, and we can't show our hand. It has to keep Kitna guessing, and when we come with the blitz it must be successful. Mixing coverages and giving plenty of pre-snap reads

so they can't isolate who is coming and protect for it. Chess Match-On.

Prophet
11-29-2007, 10:03 AM
"PurpleTide" wrote:

"The" wrote:

We have to mix the blitz in carefully, and we can't show our hand. It has to keep Kitna guessing, and when we come with the blitz it must be successful. Mixing coverages and giving plenty of pre-snap reads

so they can't isolate who is coming and protect for it. Chess Match-On.

....and that's the beauty of the NFL.
You can guarantee that the Lions' coaching staff is studying every detail of the Eli massacre and showing the game film to the boys and talking about what to do as the Vikings' coaching staff is preparing for the game too.
Fun game, never boring.

jargomcfargo
11-29-2007, 10:35 AM
"Marrdro" wrote:

"Prophet" wrote:

You are very wise and I agree, but for some reason we seem to have a "Blitz on every down" faction on here and I, for the life of me, can't figure out why/where that rationale would come from.

Childress has obviously changed the scheme!

I just threw that sentance in for Marrdro. I wanted to see the veins bulging out on his forehead. LOL!
;)

I don't play Madden so I can't comment on that. But as we learned from Childress' press conference. There really is no single prevailing defensive scheme. They are based on a cover 2 structure but mix it up with quite a few different looks and defenses. There has been more man coverage with blitzing lately,but it is not new.

I don't see anything changing for this game. It will be a mix that Frazier adjusts as the game goes on.
The make up and positioning of the front 4 has been altered and mixed thruout each and every game this year. Same with the blitz package. The blitz will depend on the situation.

I personally hate zone coverage. It's too passive and there are too many holes. It's a bend don't break defense that's effective for us with regard to points allowed.

So I like the increase in man coverage which allows more blitzing.

Bear in mind last year Kitna got hammered with sacks and still managed to have a top passing offense.

This game will be challenging for our defense.The offense will need to pitch in this week.

Marrdro
11-29-2007, 10:39 AM
"jargomcfargo" wrote:

"Marrdro" wrote:

"Prophet" wrote:

Childress has obviously changed the scheme!

I just threw that sentance in for Marrdro. I wanted to see the veins bulging out on his forehead. LOL!
;)

I don't play Madden so I can't comment on that. But as we learned from Childress' press conference. There really is no single prevailing defensive scheme. They are based on a cover 2 structure but mix it up with quite a few different looks and defenses. There has been more man coverage with blitzing lately,but it is not new.

I don't see anything changing for this game. It will be a mix that Frazier adjusts as the game goes on.
The make up and positioning of the front 4 has been altered and mixed thruout each and every game this year. Same with the blitz package. The blitz will depend on the situation.

I personally hate zone coverage. It's too passive and there are too many holes. It's a bend don't break defense that's effective for us with regard to points allowed.

So I like the increase in man coverage which allows more blitzing.

Bear in mind last year Kitna got hammered with sacks and still managed to have a top passing offense.

This game will be challenging for our defense.The offense will need to pitch in this week.

Very nice post my friene, with the exception of the first line.

Quit cracking me up.
;D

kevoncox
11-29-2007, 11:29 AM
The reason some many people have a biltz every down mentality here is becaus euntil recently our front 4 was not getting enough pressure on enemy QBs. Our DTs get double teamed and our ends did nothing to get to the Qbs.

The only way we got to the Qb was thru the biltz. Good teams don't need to blitz to apply pressure. However that was the only way we could get to the Qb. I think some people have grown dependant on seeing s blitz even though our front four have step their games up and we may not need to blitz as much.

As far as the comment about Brady, Manning and Farvecarving you up if you blitz, I say blitz them. They will carve up the Tampa 2 anyway. I say blitz them. Atleast you might catch them skipping a pass for a pick. I rather die shooting in a gun fight than on my knees.

bleedpurple
11-29-2007, 11:43 AM
Blitzing is the only thing that has allowed our pass d to look like a competent NFL unit...

I say we blitz and blitz often... it's pretty much our only hope at this point...
Our DE's may be playing better,(however, i'm not sure how much better) but i still say we need to blitz..

SKOL
11-29-2007, 12:11 PM
"bleedpurple" wrote:

Blitzing is the only thing that has allowed our pass d to look like a competent NFL unit...

I say we blitz and blitz often... it's pretty much our only hope at this point...
Our DE's may be playing better,(however, i'm not sure how much better) but i still say we need to blitz..

I don't mind blitzing often, as long as the blitzes are disguised so that Kitna won't know where they're coming from, nor if they're coming... That's how we got in Eli's head, we showed blitz on nearly every down, then drop into coverage 40-50% of the time (at least that was my observation).
We have to get in Kitna's head, and keep him guessing - control the situation rather than let him control it.

This is something that we could have done better against lord Favre.
He was in complete control because we allowed him to get comfortable.

vikingivan
11-29-2007, 12:22 PM
Last week was the most effective blitz package I can ever recall us using.
I am more accustomed to seeing the other team pick our blitzers up, and our DB's are on an island and giving up the big play.
I say we stick with the blitz.

LuckyVike
11-29-2007, 12:37 PM
"Marrdro" wrote:

I blitz probably 90% of the time.
However, I wouldn't recommend blitzing that much in real life. ;)

bleedpurple
11-29-2007, 02:21 PM
"LuckyVike" wrote:

"Marrdro" wrote:

[quote]We blitz enough, we win....What do you guys think?

DUDE, bc that is the only way we can get pressure on the QB.. i think everyone would prefer us not to and get pressure with the front 4.. but when we can't - blitzing.. as shown the last few weeks is effective and worth doing...

duvaldomo
11-29-2007, 02:46 PM
"Marrdro" wrote:

"duvaldomo" wrote:

"Marrdro" wrote:

Thanks my friend.
Couple of quick questions......

Is the experience level of the players (your family) all about the same?
Which team gives you the most problems when you blitz that much?
Do you get burned on deep or short routes when you blitz that much?
If so, what is the percentage (roughly) of success (Pass defended/pass complete)?

Congrats on being 5-1 against that crowd my friend.

;D

Np man.

Is the experience level of the players (your family) all about the same? giants raiders cowboys are my 3 uncles, they been playing since 99. bengals TB Packers are my cousin they been playing since 2003. me and my brother (eagles) started in 05.

Which team gives you the most problems when you blitz that much? The team that gives me the most problems is giants, maybe because he is more experinced, but he picks up on my blitz very well, but we get less pressure when we play against the packers, maybe its his OL.

Do you get burned on deep or short routes when you blitz that much? Oh deep most def. I always put winfield back so he can watch the long pass, but they pick up on it and hot route to put them on a curl, but when I dont put winfield back he gets beat almost everytime

If so, what is the percentage (roughly) of success (Pass defended/pass complete)? My first game (raiders) we had j-russell go 19-40, 6-20 in the first half. All was watching the game so maybe they had something for me since I blitz alot, but yes it works for you more than it hurt you.

Thanks for the congrats
:)

tastywaves
11-29-2007, 02:47 PM
"kevoncox" wrote:

The reason some many people have a biltz every down mentality here is becaus euntil recently our front 4 was not getting enough pressure on enemy QBs. Our DTs get double teamed and our ends did nothing to get to the Qbs.

The only way we got to the Qb was thru the biltz. Good teams don't need to blitz to apply pressure. However that was the only way we could get to the Qb. I think some people have grown dependant on seeing s blitz even though our front four have step their games up and we may not need to blitz as much.

As far as the comment about Brady, Manning and Farvecarving you up if you blitz, I say blitz them. They will carve up the Tampa 2 anyway. I say blitz them. Atleast you might catch them skipping a pass for a pick. I rather die shooting in a gun fight than on my knees.

Seemed to be Philly's approach to New England last week.
First time I've seen Brady get smacked around a bit.
He still had a decent game, but not near as easily as it has been for him.

Nothing I like to see more than seeing Favre or Brady getting their ass slammed to the ground.
Watching these guys sit back for 10 seconds waiting for a guy to get open is just painful.

idahovikefan7
11-29-2007, 03:09 PM
Now I'm not trying to say blitz every play of the game. But is what worked great with the Giants is showing the blitz then backing off to coverage. Manning didn't know what to do. I say we blitz on all chances we can, but mix it up as well. It can really confuse a qb.
Our D line hasn't shown a great deal of pressuring the qb but more stopping the run. We really need to get pressure on Kitna, when we don't...That's when he will just start picking us apart. I'm not sure if it's just me, but in other games besides the Giants game, it always seems there is someone wide open somewhere on the field, no matter what is going on. Some games like the "packer game" you some how knew every time the ball was thrown it was going to be a completion. We didn't get much pressure on Favre.

digital420
11-30-2007, 12:22 AM
see...

now blitzing is there to help end drives momentum, fluster a qb, get a sac, cause preasure. besides using the front 4. the problem is that if a qb isn't going to get flustered.. or, understands where the blitz is coming from they can plan a play around it.

farve did it.. picked us apart over the blitz.
Rivers/littleManning are still young qb's and were fizz'd when flustered.. Kitna isn't on his best peformance for nothing.. he's finding holes.. now.. if we can get 2 him quickly.. maybe get a few hits on him he'll do for us what he usually does.. throw's to us!!

our blitz's also are working lately cause we are always disguising who's coming.. if someone or multitude are coming.. and from where.

if we can keep them guessing on that. the qb can't pick the spot were the blitz will be.. and where it will be open. I just hope to see some good hard sacks, and lots of hits in the backfield.

blitz um.. often.. fast.. hard!!

DiGiTaL

The Dropper
11-30-2007, 04:12 AM
"Marrdro" wrote:

"The" wrote:

Now your talking sense.

Now? You mean I wasn't talking sense before?
???

Maybe I had too many brewskis.