PDA

View Full Version : Should the Team look for help at WR through FA 2008?

Frostbite
11-27-2007, 10:58 PM
This may have been posted before. If so I appologize. This is another area where some talent could be available. Unless everyone is satisfied with the current core?? I think Rice is a keeper for sure. Others not so sure about.

Some big names and talent come up in 2008 including our own past beloved Randy Moss who is UFA.

Others include Bernard Berrian/Bears....Keenan McKardell/Chargers....Patrick Clayton/Cowboys and one of the guys I think is under-rated and has been over-shadowed Bryant Johnson/Cardinals

would we want any of these guys if available??

Cheers!

V-Unit
11-27-2007, 11:05 PM
I think those are all guys who can be solid #2 receivers, and we need a #1.

tgorsegner
11-27-2007, 11:10 PM
Yes we need help at wide reciever, but it has to be somebody good, not yet another overpaid wide reciever to drop passes and fail to run routes correctly. although they have looked better recently.

Frostbite
11-27-2007, 11:12 PM
"V" wrote:

Possibly V....but one or two might actually be a number 1 if given the right opportunity. I look at a guy like Bryant Jackson for example who is basically over-shadowed by Bolden or Patrick Clayton playing on the same team as Terrel Owens and wondering if somewhere else he could break out??

In any case Rice with one of these other guys??? I think it would be an improvement over what we have currently...In My Humble Opinion.

Cheers!

tgorsegner
11-27-2007, 11:23 PM
Right now the way it looks is we have two solid #3 guys, Williamson and Wade, and a guy whos a #3 maybe #2 currently with a bright outlook in Rice. one good #2 guy might be enough.

Potus2028
11-27-2007, 11:34 PM
we need something. one more WR to the puzzle.. either a no. 1, or a vet.. nothing to develop though, thats just what we dont need.. another player to develop!

rice can be our number one though! next year he can be number one!

we thought it wouls be Tjack and Twill... no no! it's Tjack and Rice!

i mean.. all of Tjacks passes have been to Rice if i'm not mistaken.

skum
11-27-2007, 11:36 PM
Give DJ Hackett from the Hawks an offer he cant refuse, he is a young player on the rise, he can gain YAC and has the speed to scretch the field.

clark_griswold
11-27-2007, 11:57 PM
"skum" wrote:

Give DJ Hackett from the Hawks an offer he cant refuse, he is a young player on the rise, he can gain YAC and has the speed to scretch the field.

another poison pill like Hutch haha

SiniSSter
11-28-2007, 01:24 AM
in the games ive seen it doesn't seem like Williamson is getting the ball much, but when he does i havent seen any drops like last year. rice stays. maybe trade chester taylor for a good established receiver? idk if hes a free agent next year or not.

aceclown
11-28-2007, 02:40 AM
Replace TWill with Bernard Berrian.
I think Rice & Berrian would actually make a respectable starting WR combo.

vikingivan
11-28-2007, 03:25 AM
I would like to see us add Berrian and Bryant Johnson.
Along with Rice that would give us a pretty good receiving core.

ultravikingfan
11-28-2007, 05:16 AM
Should the Team look for help at WR through FA 2008?

http://www.smilies-and-more.de/pics/smilies/hands/033.gif

Of course.
As we should be looking at any player who makes us better.

PurpleTide
11-28-2007, 05:30 AM
"ultravikingfan" wrote:

Should the Team look for help at WR through FA 2008?

http://www.smilies-and-more.de/pics/smilies/hands/033.gif

Of course.
As we should be looking at any player who makes us better.

Absolutly, bring in free agents for many areas, sign another WR, and always look for pieces to make us better. Draft well, and supplement with freeagency.

El Vikingo
11-28-2007, 06:09 AM
André Davis(Houston Texans)

Vikes_King
11-28-2007, 06:17 AM
"SiniSSter" wrote:

in the games ive seen it doesn't seem like Williamson is getting the ball much, but when he does i havent seen any drops like last year. rice stays. maybe trade chester taylor for a good established receiver? idk if hes a free agent next year or not.

NO!!

CT & AD will be a powerhouse tandem for years, it would be dumb to trade away Taylor, what if AD gets hurt again (god forbid).
Unless we resign Mewelde after this year we're losting him after this season, we need to keep a quality back up.
Trading away a good RB in a rush first offense would be a bad move.

BleedinPandG
11-28-2007, 06:50 AM
Be great to see Moss back in Vikings purple wouldn't it?
With Chilly's past with TO I don't see it happening but the Moss issues happened under a previous coach and previous ownership right?
TJack can definitely throw it far enough.
The Vikes have the cap space... hmmm...

Vikes_King
11-28-2007, 06:57 AM
"BleedinPandG" wrote:

With Chilly's past with TO I don't see it happening but the Moss issues happened under a previous coach and previous ownership right?

You really think the Pats are willing to part with him? lol

BleedinPandG
11-28-2007, 07:00 AM
"Vikes_King" wrote:

"BleedinPandG" wrote:

You really think the Pats are willing to part with him? lol

They only signed him to a 1 year deal... Pats have a history of not over-paying for talent and letting guys go when they want big money... they are also stock full of WR talent.
In a bidding war the Vikings would win him over the Pats.
The wildcard is if the Pats run the table and win the Super Bowl, do any players want to leave just for money or would they rather play on what may be one of the best teams in NFL history next year?

bleedpurple
11-28-2007, 10:30 AM
Even if the Pats don't sign Moss, he's never going to come here... EVER AGAIN!!!
I don't think he'd want to come, and i dont think Chilly/ownership would want to deal with him again.. Plus, Moss needs a veteran presense to keep him in check, plus, he'd just get mad having a developing QB throw to him...

WIth that said, I'm not really sold on Berriman or B. Johnson.. and i think it would take the Barn to pry away Fitz from Arizona.. he is their leading receiver..

hackett would be good, but he's injury prone and Seattle would never let him come here (he was their go to guy when he was healthy for those 2-3 games he played).. plus, isn't he signed beyond this year..??

C Mac D
11-28-2007, 10:38 AM
"Vikes_King" wrote:

"SiniSSter" wrote:

NO!!

CT & AD will be a powerhouse tandem for years, it would be dumb to trade away Taylor, what if AD gets hurt again (god forbid).
Unless we resign Mewelde after this year we're losting him after this season, we need to keep a quality back up.

At the beginning of the season I would have been all for this trade, but now seeing that we have the best back-field in the NFL... I want it to stay that way.

Taylor can definitely handle the load, but I think he makes even a better compliment to AP. I think this tandem is may favorite part of the team right now. I'd hate to see it go.

MNgriff
11-28-2007, 10:45 AM
"bleedpurple" wrote:

Even if the Pats don't sign Moss, he's never going to come here... EVER AGAIN!!!
I don't think he'd want to come, and i dont think Chilly/ownership would want to deal with him again.. Plus, Moss needs a veteran presense to keep him in check, plus, he'd just get mad having a developing QB throw to him...

WIth that said, I'm not really sold on Berriman or B. Johnson.. and i think it would take the Barn to pry away Fitz from Arizona.. he is their leading receiver..

hackett would be good, but he's injury prone and Seattle would never let him come here (he was their go to guy when he was healthy for those 2-3 games he played).. plus, isn't he signed beyond this year..??

DJ needs to do something about the bricks attached to his wrists before the vikes consider him.
Berrian has great size and skill but has a lot to learn about how to run a proper route.
Moss is the gold at the end of the rainbow of FA WRs but we may be able to get a guy like roy williams at the end of the year in a trade because he'll be in his final contract year.

V-Unit
11-28-2007, 11:11 AM
"Frostbite" wrote:

"V" wrote:

Possibly V....but one or two might actually be a number 1 if given the right opportunity. I look at a guy like Bryant Jackson for example who is basically over-shadowed by Bolden or Patrick Clayton playing on the same team as Terrel Owens and wondering if somewhere else he could break out??

In any case Rice with one of these other guys??? I think it would be an improvement over what we have currently...In My Humble Opinion.

Cheers!

It's Bryant Johnson, and Patrick Crayton, and Boldin, and Terrell, but anyways, taking a gamble on a backup WR to improve is what we did last year. You want to do the exact same thing again. I can't even think of the last receiver to noticeably improve when given more playing time.

Johnson looks like he could be good, but I would rather try to pry Fitz away (which is not happening). Crayton just looks like an ok guy who is benefitting from a great QB and several weapons around him.

These guys are ok if we get a marquee QB throwing them the ball, but if we stick with TJ, we'll need a bigger threat. IMO it's worth trading a high pick for.

mountainviking
11-28-2007, 11:57 AM
HaHa!
lol!
We could sign Moss and Culpepper, they're both UFA!!

Well, Rice may develop into a true no.1 for us...I like Wade in the slot...Ferguson's play has improved...TWill looks better, when given an oppurtunity.
Fact is, at 12 pass attempts in a game, isn't very much to go around...that alone could tick off the Moss.
Unless, he's matured to the point of realizing, that he wouldn't have to work so hard with our powerful rushing attack...?
Maybe.
He might take less $$$ to remain a Patriot too...he seems pretty happy there.
Just imagine how the attention he gets in the secondary would help open up our run game!

I found this list, did a little research and put it in order of my preferences...

http://footballsfuture.com/2008/nfl/freeagentsWR.html

Bryant Johnson might be a good pickup.
He's third at ARI, so, less likely to stay.
Good size at 6'3" over 200 lbs...five years experience and the size to block downfield.

CAR has struggled at QB with Delhome out, but I know some fantasy football "experts" were real big on Drew Carter being a sleeper this year before the season...another 6'3" guy.

If the Broncos don't sign Stokely, he might be a good veteran presence...but, once again, not a true no.1 WR!

Check out Andre Davis' averages per catch...18.6 this year, 21.1 in 05, 26 in 04...granted, he doesn't have a ton of receptions, but wow...two 99 yard TDs in 04!
Must be some YAC there.

I get the feeling that the Cowboys want to keep Crayton, but he's had some decent games playing opposite TO.

Berrian seems to be good for about 1 big grab a game...given CHI's QB issues, he might be better than advertised...then again, given our QB issues?
And, being CHI's no.1 WR, seems they'd want to keep him.

IDK, but some of those second tier guys might not really be a step up...we haven't really seen a whole lot of what our guys can do...and then, there is still Allison in the wings, and Nance and Filani on the practice squad.

I fully agree with the people who want to keep Chester Taylor a Viking!!!
You simply have to have depth at RB, that position takes a beating!
Having him and AP is looking pretty freakin good to me!

Marrdro
11-28-2007, 01:02 PM
"mountainviking" wrote:

HaHa!
lol!
We could sign Moss and Culpepper, they're both UFA!!

Well, Rice may develop into a true no.1 for us...I like Wade in the slot...Ferguson's play has improved...TWill looks better, when given an oppurtunity.
Fact is, at 12 pass attempts in a game, isn't very much to go around...that alone could tick off the Moss.
Unless, he's matured to the point of realizing, that he wouldn't have to work so hard with our powerful rushing attack...?
Maybe.
He might take less $$$ to remain a Patriot too...he seems pretty happy there.
Just imagine how the attention he gets in the secondary would help open up our run game!

I found this list, did a little research and put it in order of my preferences...

http://footballsfuture.com/2008/nfl/freeagentsWR.html

Bryant Johnson might be a good pickup.
He's third at ARI, so, less likely to stay.
Good size at 6'3" over 200 lbs...five years experience and the size to block downfield.

CAR has struggled at QB with Delhome out, but I know some fantasy football "experts" were real big on Drew Carter being a sleeper this year before the season...another 6'3" guy.

If the Broncos don't sign Stokely, he might be a good veteran presence...but, once again, not a true no.1 WR!

Check out Andre Davis' averages per catch...18.6 this year, 21.1 in 05, 26 in 04...granted, he doesn't have a ton of receptions, but wow...two 99 yard TDs in 04!
Must be some YAC there.

I get the feeling that the Cowboys want to keep Crayton, but he's had some decent games playing opposite TO.

Berrian seems to be good for about 1 big grab a game...given CHI's QB issues, he might be better than advertised...then again, given our QB issues?
And, being CHI's no.1 WR, seems they'd want to keep him.

IDK, but some of those second tier guys might not really be a step up...we haven't really seen a whole lot of what our guys can do...and then, there is still Allison in the wings, and Nance and Filani on the practice squad.

I fully agree with the people who want to keep Chester Taylor a Viking!!!
You simply have to have depth at RB, that position takes a beating!
Having him and AP is looking pretty freakin good to me!

Very nice post my friend.

Thanks for the list.

Throw in one of these guys so that the D can get off the field more and the offense would have more reps as well as the lattitude to gamble on a few more passing plays knowing that the opposing team wouldn't score every time and they would get the ball back if they 3 and out on a couple of series.

http://footballsfuture.com/2008/nfl/freeagentsDL.html

Trust me, the scenario that our Defense can't get off the field at times weights on a coaches brain as he is calling plays.
:o

josdin00
11-28-2007, 01:33 PM
Here is the list from KFFL on the 2008 FA WRs

http://www.kffl.com/static/nfl/features/freeagents/fa.php?option=WR&y=2008

[center]Pos[center][center]Player Name[center][center]FA Status[center][center]Team[center]WRRashied DavisRFAChicago BearsWRCarlyle HolidayRFAGreen Bay PackersWRJerome MathisRFAHouston TexansWRChris M. DavisRFAMiami DolphinsWRLance MooreRFANew Orleans SaintsWRMalcom FloydRFASan Diego ChargersWRB.J. JohnsonRFATampa Bay Buccaneers

[center]Pos[center][center]Player Name[center][center]FA Status[center][center]Team[center]WRBryant JohnsonUFAArizona CardinalsWRDevard DarlingUFABaltimore RavensWRSam AikenUFABuffalo BillsWRDrew CarterUFACarolina PanthersWRKeary ColbertUFACarolina PanthersWRBernard BerrianUFAChicago BearsWRAntonio ChatmanUFACincinnati BengalsWRPatrick CraytonUFADallas CowboysWRBrandon StokleyUFADenver BroncosWRMarcus RobinsonUFADetroit LionsWRRuvell MartinUFAGreen Bay PackersWRAndre' DavisUFAHouston TexansWRSamie ParkerUFAKansas City ChiefsWRTroy BrownUFANew England PatriotsWRDavid PattenUFANew Orleans SaintsWRTerrance CopperUFANew Orleans SaintsWRTim CarterUFANew York GiantsWRDoug GabrielUFAOakland RaidersWRD.J. HackettUFASeattle SeahawksWRSkyler FultonUFASeattle SeahawksWREric MouldsUFATennessee TitansWRJustin GageUFATennessee TitansWRKeenan McCardellUFAWashington Redskins

i_bleed_purple
11-28-2007, 01:41 PM
if we could get troy brown from the pats i think that would be a good pickup.
I know he's getting old, and probably not as fast anymore, but the good thing about older recievers who've been around for a while is that they usually have great hands and great route runnings.
he'd be the veteran presence that we need on this offense, and if worse comes to worse, he can also play some nickelback for us like he did in NE.

if anythin he'd be an excellent stop-gap solution while rice and TJ progress.

NordicNed
11-28-2007, 01:44 PM
I say we pick the Seachickens pocket again, and go after this fine prospect...

WR D.J. Hackett UFA Seattle Seahawks

;D

ultravikingfan
11-28-2007, 02:09 PM
"El" wrote:

André Davis(Houston Texans)

Man, that would be awesome.

jkjuggalo
11-28-2007, 02:34 PM
"C" wrote:

"Vikes_King" wrote:

"SiniSSter" wrote:

NO!!

At the beginning of the season I would have been all for this trade, but now seeing that we have the best back-field in the NFL... I want it to stay that way.

Taylor can definitely handle the load, but I think he makes even a better compliment to AP. I think this tandem is may favorite part of the team right now. I'd hate to see it go.

If we could trade CT and a draft pick for Larry Fitzgerald, would you honestly be opposed?
The fact is that RB's like Taylor are more easily replaceable than impact WR's.
We could resign MeMo (who has led this team in rushing one season), and find a decent RB in the mid rounds of the draft for depth.
A team like Arizona may want a RB to ease into Edge's role.
I'm all for trading CT for a big time receiving threat.

As far as free acency, I like Johnson and Berrian the best out of anyone available.
They are veterans but not too old yet.
Both have speed and running abilities.

Marrdro
11-28-2007, 02:41 PM
"jkjuggalo" wrote:

"C" wrote:

"Vikes_King" wrote:

"SiniSSter" wrote:

NO!!

If we could trade CT and a draft pick for Larry Fitzgerald, would you honestly be opposed?
We could resign MeMo (who has led this team in rushing one season), and find a decent RB in the mid rounds of the draft for depth.

As far as free acency, I like Johnson and Berrian the best out of anyone available.

I suck at finding stuff like this so I don't know how true it is, but one of the local sports radio guys was talking to a guest and he said that Fitz is expected to meet playing time and production incentive standards that will boost his 2008 salary to over $14 million.

With the exception of Edge has anyone seen anything to think that the Cardinals are willing to pay salaries like that?

He also said something along the lines that they really need to watch thier budget and they they need to extend the contracts of LBs Karlos Dansby and Calvin Pace.

He really believed that the Cards would get something done that would extend Fritz's contract thus eliminating the huge hit to allow the Cards to sign other players.

With that said, I wonder if he is even available for a trade or as a FA in 2009.

Again, no link, just some talk on the radio.
::)

bleedpurple
11-28-2007, 03:46 PM
"Marrdro" wrote:

"jkjuggalo" wrote:

"C" wrote:

"Vikes_King" wrote:

"SiniSSter" wrote:

NO!!

I suck at finding stuff like this so I don't know how true it is, but one of the local sports radio guys was talking to a guest and he said that Fitz is expected to meet playing time and production incentive standards that will boost his 2008 salary to over $14 million.

With the exception of Edge has anyone seen anything to think that the Cardinals are willing to pay salaries like that?

He also said something along the lines that they really need to watch thier budget and they they need to extend the contracts of LBs Karlos Dansby and Calvin Pace.

He really believed that the Cards would get something done that would extend Fritz's contract thus eliminating the huge hit to allow the Cards to sign other players.

With that said, I wonder if he is even available for a trade or as a FA in 2009.

No i haven't either... but i can't imagine they'd let Fitz go... that would truly show that they're not committed to winning.. and would probably piss off wisenhut...

With that said, i think DJ Hackett would be the best available receiver in free agency... the stats he put up before his second injury were insane for someone that was out for soo long..

And OMG.. i forgot the Pats had the niners firs pick this year.. can you imagine if they got McFadden??? that would just be unfair..!!!

Marrdro
11-29-2007, 10:51 AM
"bleedpurple" wrote:

"Marrdro" wrote:

"jkjuggalo" wrote:

"C" wrote:

"Vikes_King" wrote:

NO!!

No i haven't either... but i can't imagine they'd let Fitz go... that would truly show that they're not committed to winning.. and would probably piss off wisenhut...

With that said, i think DJ Hackett would be the best available receiver in free agency... the stats he put up before his second injury were insane for someone that was out for soo long..

And OMG.. i forgot the Pats had the niners firs pick this year.. can you imagine if they got McFadden??? that would just be unfair..!!!

The local sports Yutz down here one ESPN 1310 (Tony Mecurio) has Dan Shonka from Ourlads on once a week.

Note:
Picture of Tony the Yutz Mecurio
http://www.espnradio1310.com/images/TonySmilepretty.JPG

He was on last night talking about were McFadden would/could go to.
He mentioned the very same thing as you.

Another thing he talked about was in reference to a callers question about TJ and should the Vikes go get another QB in the draft.
Dan said they don't really need to if the fans can be patient.
He, unfortunately said the Vikings fans aren't that patient.

SiniSSter
12-03-2007, 12:36 AM
i didnt see the game today, but judging from that stats and what i heard its seems as if TJack had another good game. if he keeps maturing and playing the way he is ide be happy keeping him. call me an optimist but i still think rice and Williamson could make for a decent combo. i havent seen to much of williamson this year as i said earlier but when he did get the ball it seemed like he was doing much better than last year.

V-Unit
12-06-2007, 11:30 PM
You know, I didn't think Berrian had what it takes to be a true #1, but looking at his stats and some of the games he has put together, he may be exactly what we need. If we do pickup an FA WR, I would say he is the guy to go get.