PDA

View Full Version : Great memory of days gone by-1987 Vikings

Boyum
11-15-2007, 03:22 PM
A friend on another forum posted this video clip of the Vikes-49rs game in the 1987 playoffs.

What a great memory back when the Vikings knew how to put winning teams together.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=yuyAHRGhgjk (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yuyAHRGhgjk)

Vikes_King
11-15-2007, 03:57 PM
i wasn't even born yet :(

good clip tho, thnx

NodakPaul
11-15-2007, 04:20 PM
"Vikes_King" wrote:

i wasn't even born yet :(

good clip tho, thnx

:o

Now I feel old.
I was junior high...

COJOMAY
11-15-2007, 04:50 PM
I was 48 years old.

C Mac D
11-15-2007, 05:01 PM
I was 5, but I still had Purple Pride.

Back in the days when I lived in Eden Prairie.

marstc09
11-15-2007, 05:03 PM
I was 7 and did not even know what the Vikings or NFL was.

Frostbite
11-15-2007, 05:26 PM
Proud to say I was there....It was a great game...great atmosphere. I remember that day like it was yesterday. One of the best Vikings memories I have. There have been others though. Lot's to cheer for as long as I've been a fan.

Thanks for the Vids/memories

Cheers!

ultravikingfan
11-15-2007, 06:52 PM
Jeez...a bunch of youngsters that could not even appreciate Kramer!
LOL!

Hell, I feel old!

Mikecarter81
11-15-2007, 07:18 PM
I remember that game like it was yesterday, peopler wonder why my handle has carter81, that is the reason why.

People can argue this, but the 87-88 teams were the best overall viking teams I can remember, well since the superbowl teans that is for sure.
Offensively not as good as the 98 team, but Defensively it was the best unit I can remember since the purple people eaters

Mike

C Mac D
11-15-2007, 07:19 PM
Hell, how about the '87 Twins.

I lived next-door to Gene Larkin growing up. Great guy.

Purple Floyd
11-15-2007, 07:21 PM
The next week really sucked. I lost count of how many things I broke when Nelson dropped that pass.

HornedHat
11-15-2007, 08:18 PM
I remember one thing I broke. I had little plastic helmets for each team in the league. I made a little fire in my fireplace and melted that Redskins helmet. I sure stunk up the place.

vikinggreg
11-15-2007, 08:41 PM
I remember that Wildcard game when the Vikes stomped the Saints in New Orleans, I almost felt sorry for Hebert......but I was to busy jumping for joy ;D

shockzilla
11-15-2007, 08:45 PM
Man, that brings back some GREAT memories. That '87 team was a damn good team. People forget that 1987 was a strike year. That's why there are only 15 games on the schedule. Nobody gave them any sort of chance to do anything in the playoffs. That first playoff game against New Orleans, they were behind in that one 10-0, I believe, before storming back with 44 straight points. Someone correct me if I'm wrong.

michaelmazid
11-15-2007, 09:03 PM
makes me wanna get a 81 anthony carter jersey

vikinggreg
11-15-2007, 09:07 PM
"michaelmazid" wrote:

makes me wanna get a 81 anthony carter jersey

I have a replica Probowl AC in a box around here from 87

Boyum
11-15-2007, 10:28 PM
"marstc09" wrote:

I hope someday you see a Vikings team like that.
They had so much heart and as someone else mentioned the defense was always the strong point.
Carl Lee, Joey Browner, Chris Doleman, Henry Thomas-the Vikings front office knew how to draft defense in those days and the offense was always the most innovative in the league.
Bill Walsh stole the so-called "west coast offense" from Jerry Burns and Bud Grant who invented it to fit Chuck Foreman's skills in the 70's!

I still say that Bud Grant at his age could still out-coach Childress!

Frostbite
11-15-2007, 10:42 PM
"Boyum" wrote:

"marstc09" wrote:

I hope someday you see a Vikings team like that.
They had so much heart and as someone else mentioned the defense was always the strong point.
Carl Lee, Joey Browner, Chris Doleman, Henry Thomas-the Vikings front office knew how to draft defense in those days and the offense was always the most innovative in the league.
Bill Walsh stole the so-called "west coast offense" from Jerry Burns and Bud Grant who invented it to fit Chuck Foreman's skills in the 70's!

I still say that Bud Grant at his age could still out-coach Childress!

Yep....most likely. Those days are over though. Those late 80s were just about the end of the heart/loyal.... Team first me second days .....of the NFL mindset. We still have some players around that love the game and will play hard all the time just because they love too, but they are a dying breed. Me Me and I I revolve around how much can I make these days. Now it's all about endorsments...cash...fame and noteriety first and let's play Football second.

Sad but true.....Cheers!

Cheers!

Mikecarter81
11-15-2007, 11:03 PM
"Frostbite" wrote:

"Boyum" wrote:

"marstc09" wrote:
[quote]

Yep....most likely. Those days are over though. Those late 80s were just about the end of the heart/loyal.... Team first me second days .....of the NFL mindset.
Cheers!

LOL,
I don't know I can remember a few hold outs by Vikings *cough* Joey Browner *cough*
all fo them were "wanting more money!"
Nostalgia is nice, but I remember a few premaddona's on that team too!

Mike

Frostbite
11-15-2007, 11:12 PM
"Mikecarter81" wrote:

"Frostbite" wrote:

"Boyum" wrote:

"marstc09" wrote:
[quote]

Yep....most likely. Those days are over though. Those late 80s were just about the end of the heart/loyal.... Team first me second days .....of the NFL mindset.
Cheers!

LOL,
I don't know I can remember a few hold outs by Vikings *cough* Joey Browner *cough*
all fo them were "wanting more money!"
Nostalgia is nice, but I remember a few premaddona's on that team too!

Mike

True....but I think that anybody that's been a fan for many years can see the Big difference from then and today. It's like trying to compare Apples to Oranges sort of. Still playing football now but attitude is totally changed in my humble opinion. I'm talking about the entire NFL...not just the Vikes either.

vikesfargo
11-15-2007, 11:29 PM
After that year, the decline began. TK was out. Wade Wilson was out. We got rid of all (okay, most of) the defensive studs for no reason. Then we couldn't find a QB anywhere. We had Rich Gannon but traded him because he didn't develop fast enough. Of course, he later went on to win the MVP award--for another team. We lost AC but got CC. During the quarterback merry-go-round, Denny came on, put in the Redskins-style offense, and slowly let the defense slide from greatness to mediocrity to worse. Then our offense got well and we got Randy Moss and almost went to the Super Bowl again. Then we got Daunte but couldn't get all the cylinders firing at once. Then it was the Tice era which had as its greatest accomplishment the trading of the best player on the team. Now here we are, with the WCO again and sparse talent. This is not to retell the ownership and management saga.

It's Childress's fault! (sarcasm)

singersp
11-16-2007, 04:19 AM
"vikesfargo" wrote:

After that year, the decline began. TK was out. Wade Wilson was out. We got rid of all (okay, most of) the defensive studs for no reason. Then we couldn't find a QB anywhere. We had Rich Gannon but traded him because he didn't develop fast enough. Of course, he later went on to win the MVP award--for another team. We lost AC but got CC. During the quarterback merry-go-round, Denny came on, put in the Redskins-style offense, and slowly let the defense slide from greatness to mediocrity to worse. Then our offense got well and we got Randy Moss and almost went to the Super Bowl again. Then we got Daunte but couldn't get all the cylinders firing at once. Then it was the Tice era which had as its greatest accomplishment the trading of the best player on the team. Now here we are, with the WCO again and sparse talent. This is not to retell the ownership and management saga.

That's because Dungy left for the Tampa Bay HC decision. Not naming him HC that year was one of the biggest mistakes the Vikings organization made.

The Walker trade was huge (I was over that many years ago), but not naming Dungy HC over Green irked me then & still irks me to this day.

Boyum
11-16-2007, 05:06 AM
Maybe we can rectify that situation in the future.
I have a vision of Tony Dungy making a triumphant return to Minnesota to be the first head coach of the Vikings in their fabulous new stadium in or around 2012.

Go Vikes.

PurpleTide
11-16-2007, 05:46 AM
I was living in Sacramento in 1987, and as I sat amongst the stunned 9'er faithfull at a friends house and wearing my purple I totally enjoyed every moment of the thrashing of the heavily favored 49'ers. Anthony Carter destroyed them with a playoff record total combined return/recieving yards that still stands today.(I Think). Just as happy as I was then, I was bumed by our loss to the deadskins the next week. 4th and goal Wilson to Darrin Nelson at the goal line......... Incomplete.
ARRRGH. Great team great season.

Boyum
11-16-2007, 05:51 AM
"PurpleTide" wrote:

I was living in Sacramento in 1987, and as I sat amongst the stunned 9'er faithfull at a friends house and wearing my purple I totally enjoyed every moment of the thrashing of the heavily favored 49'ers. Anthony Carter destroyed them with a playoff record total combined return/recieving yards that still stands today.(I Think). Just as happy as I was then, I was bumed by our loss to the deadskins the next week. 4th and goal Wilson to Darrin Nelson at the goal line......... Incomplete.
ARRRGH. Great team great season.

I'll never forget that Redskins game.
The Vikes took the heavily favored Skins right to the end and held the game in their hands at the end.
I still can see Joe Gibbs covering his eyes when Wilson dropped back to pass, that's how close we were to getting to that Superbowl.

Another one we had a good chance of winning, 87 & 98.

Marrdro
11-16-2007, 07:20 AM
I have only seen clips and videos of those games.
Never got to see any of them as they happened.

I did, however, get to listen to them if they were being broadcast over AFRTS Radio while floating around in the Med onboard the USS Concord (AFS-5).
;D

vikesfargo
11-16-2007, 11:59 AM
"singersp" wrote:

"vikesfargo" wrote:

That's because Dungy left for the Tampa Bay HC decision. Not naming him HC that year was one of the biggest mistakes the Vikings organization made.

The Walker trade was huge (I was over that many years ago), but not naming Dungy HC over Green irked me then & still irks me to this day.

Excactly. Totally. I just wanted to highlight what you said. Maybe also not hiring Tomlinson over Childress.

NodakPaul
11-16-2007, 12:44 PM
"C" wrote:

Hell, how about the '87 Twins.

I lived next-door to Gene Larkin growing up. Great guy.

God that was a good year for professional sports in Minnesota!
NOt as good as the 91-92 span though, when we had the world series, the final four and the super bowl!

DarrinNelsonguy
11-16-2007, 01:22 PM
My favorite palyer was the RB guy on the team.

Zeus
11-16-2007, 02:00 PM
"singersp" wrote:

"vikesfargo" wrote:

Tony Dungy left the Vikings to become head coach of TB following the 1995 season.
In '95, the Vikings were 8-8 in Dennis Green's 4th year as HC.
This was his first non-winning season.

I don't believe in any way that the Vikings would have considered firing Denny at this time, even though, in retrospect after 12 years, it appears they might have been better off to have done so.

=Z=

MaxVike
11-16-2007, 02:03 PM
Great year.
That was one of our all-timer games.
What an awesome defensive line we had.
Millard was my favorite.
I was living in Sioux Falls, SD and went to three games that year.

As high and happy as I was after that game, it has been a difficult recovery from the Redskins loss the following week >:(.
The drop at the goal line will forever be stamped in my brain .

DarrinNelsonguy
11-16-2007, 02:10 PM
"MaxVike" wrote:

Great year.
Millard was my favorite.

As high and happy as I was after that game, it has been a difficult recovery from the Redskins loss the following week >:(.

That drop really crushed me as well especially because Darrin Nelson dropped that ball and he is my favorite player.

VikingMike
11-16-2007, 04:37 PM
"DarrinNelsonguy" wrote:

"MaxVike" wrote:

Great year.
Millard was my favorite.

That drop really crushed me as well especially because Darrin Nelson dropped that ball and he is my favorite player.

DNGuy, I never would have guessed that...lol!
:)

vikesfargo
11-16-2007, 05:11 PM
"Zeus" wrote:

I don't believe in any way that the Vikings would have considered firing Denny at this time, even though, in retrospect after 12 years, it appears they might have been better off to have done so.

I agree, but I, an amateur fan, thought that then, and lots of people thought that then, and it was an avoidable mistake. We just had a bad ownership/management situation. Wasn't that when the ownership was split between different groups and we had that GM making bad moves?

The Vikings could have been in the playoffs but played poorly toward the end, concluding with an uninspiring loss to the Bengals. We should have upgraded to Dungy right there.

singersp
11-16-2007, 05:18 PM
"Zeus" wrote:

=Z=

Of course not. Green was 11-5 in his 1st season & 9-7 in his second.

That's a far cry from where Childress is at.

digital420
11-17-2007, 02:20 AM
I remember the AC/CC combo..

2Min Tommy and his hail mary's.

Burns looking like he just woke up in his car hairdo

and the mean Joey lookin to hurt someone every play

i had a kids mallard jersey i got from my dad i think, it's been long lost.. but the memory remains!!

DiGiTaL

vikes2456
11-17-2007, 11:42 AM
Awesome video, I wasn't alive for those days but still cool to watch