PDA

View Full Version : Adrian Peterson's Injury: NOT ACL

PurpleMafia
11-11-2007, 07:58 PM
According to Fox Sports, AP will have an MRI tomorrow, but the injury is not ACL related. Although, they are not ruling out ligament damage. This is good news, but any type of ligament damage is bad. I just breathed a sigh of relief when I saw that.

baumy300
11-11-2007, 07:59 PM
Best news I have heard all day. I would have bet my next paycheck his leg snapped when I first seen the hit.

I've never been happier to be wrong in my life
;D

DiehardVikesFan
11-11-2007, 08:00 PM
According to Yahoosports it was a sprained knee (take it for what it's worth).

IBleedPurple11
11-11-2007, 08:02 PM
geeez that injury didnt look good, but hopefully its nothing too serious.
:-

Purple Floyd
11-11-2007, 08:13 PM
If it is a sprain, then he tore a ligament. That is what a sprain is. The question will be which one, The ACL (ruled out?) MCL, the PCL or the LCL.

I tore 3 out of 4 in mine and it seems the LCL and the MCL are the ones that you can recover from better. The ACL will tear first before the PCL and if you tear both of those it is going to be a bad day.

Hopefully it will just be a slight tear of the mcl and he will just get immobilized for a short time and then return..

Also, it is not uncommon to find tears of the meniscus cartilage when the ACL or MCL are damaged so this could potentially show up on an MRI.. I pray it won't.

NodakPaul
11-11-2007, 08:15 PM
"UffDaVikes" wrote:

If it is a sprain, then he tore a ligament. That is what a sprain is. The question will be which one, The ACL (ruled out?) MCL, the PCL or the LCL.

I tore 3 out of 4 in mine and it seems the LCL and the MCL are the ones that you can recover from better. The ACL will tear first before the PCL and if you tear both of those it is going to be a bad day.

Hopefully it will just be a slight tear of the mcl and he will just get immobilized for a short time and then return..

Also, it is not uncommon to find tears of the meniscus cartilage when the ACL or MCL are damaged so this could potentially show up on an MRI.. I pray it won't.

A knee sprain is a knee injury, but it isn't necessarily a tear.
It can be a wrenched or twisted ligament as well, which is a lot better than a tear.

avshoeman
11-11-2007, 08:22 PM
"PurpleMafia" wrote:

According to Fox Sports, AP will have an MRI tomorrow, but the injury is not ACL related. Although, they are not ruling out ligament damage. This is good news, but any type of ligament damage is bad. I just breathed a sigh of relief when I saw that.

I am from Oklahoma and AD hates to be called AP. His nickname is AD for all day.

PurpleGator
11-11-2007, 08:27 PM
"avshoeman" wrote:

"PurpleMafia" wrote:

I am from Oklahoma and AD hates to be called AP. His nickname is AD for all day.

Well today he did nothing All Day except watch Favre throw all over the field and take some hits.

I call him A.P. when I go to the bar and he runs for a TD.
I will change it if he breaks Dickersons record.
I will call him A.D. after that.

You gotta earn it baby!

singersp
11-11-2007, 08:30 PM
How could it be his knee? The announcer kept saying he was hit in the thigh..........idiot!

I could tell right away he was hit at the knee.

I'm just glad it wasn't more serious.

BadlandsVikings
11-11-2007, 09:14 PM
Good to hear, hopefully it's just bruising.

tb04512
11-11-2007, 09:18 PM
"singersp" wrote:

How could it be his knee? The announcer kept saying he was hit in the thigh..........idiot!

that announcer was an idiot the whole game

MaxVike
11-11-2007, 09:28 PM
Sorry Gator - he has earned it...he should be called whatever he wants to be called.

He is a warrior, I would not be surprised if it is worse than we all think due to his toughness.
My fingers are crossed.

IketheVike62
11-11-2007, 09:29 PM
The article on Yahoo Sports quotes Peterson as saying it was the knee.
States he took the hit as soon as he planted the leg.
Also quoted as saying he tried to lobby Childress to let him go back in a couple of series later.
He said it felt fine and he did some jogging on the sideline.
Hopefully this will be just a nasty bruise or sprain and nothing more.

NodakPaul
11-11-2007, 09:36 PM
"MaxVike" wrote:

Sorry Gator - he has earned it...he should be called whatever he wants to be called.

He is a warrior, I would not be surprised if it is worse than we all think due to his toughness.
My fingers are crossed.

I agree.
One bad game out of 9 and suddenly he hasn't earned anything?
And considering that AD is usually at his best in the 4th, I don't even know if I would call this a bad game.

singersp
11-11-2007, 09:48 PM
"NodakPaul" wrote:

"MaxVike" wrote:

My fingers are crossed.

I agree.
One bad game out of 9 and suddenly he hasn't earned anything?
And considering that AD is usually at his best in the 4th, I don't even know if I would call this a bad game.

He had more yards in the 1st half of this game than he did last week.
;)

marstc09
11-11-2007, 10:31 PM
Someone should hit Al Harris in his knee and see how he likes it

BloodyHorns82
11-11-2007, 10:42 PM
Damn that was a scary moment today.
P.A. described it best.

DustinDupont
11-11-2007, 10:48 PM
"marstc09" wrote:

Someone should hit Al Harris in his knee and see how he likes it

i hate al harris!!!!!!!

Purple Floyd
11-11-2007, 10:52 PM
"NodakPaul" wrote:

"UffDaVikes" wrote:

It can be a wrenched or twisted ligament as well, which is a lot better than a tear.

To call it a sprain without a tear would be very rare.

Grades

Knee sprains are graded according to their severity. In addition, the more ligaments that are involved means the more severe the injury.

* Grade 1

o Stretching and microtearing of ligament tissue

* Grade 2

o Partial tearing of ligament tissue

o Mild instability of the joint when tested

* Grade 3

o Severe or complete tearing of ligament tissue

o Significant instability of the joint

Here is the definition. Note that even a grade 1 sprain has microtears along with stretching.

NodakPaul
11-11-2007, 11:04 PM
"UffDaVikes" wrote:

"NodakPaul" wrote:

"UffDaVikes" wrote:

To call it a sprain without a tear would be very rare.

Grades

Knee sprains are graded according to their severity. In addition, the more ligaments that are involved means the more severe the injury.

* Grade 1

o Stretching and microtearing of ligament tissue

* Grade 2

o Partial tearing of ligament tissue

o Mild instability of the joint when tested

* Grade 3

o Severe or complete tearing of ligament tissue

o Significant instability of the joint

Here is the definition. Note that even a grade 1 sprain has microtears along with stretching.

Not to be picky, but a grade 1 sprain is not a torn ligament.
I know that the term is microtearing, but a microtear and a tear (or even a partial tear) are very different things - and have very different implications.

Anyway, it is just semantics anyway.
Your original post implied that a sprain meant he had at least a "slight tear".
I am hoping it is just a Grade 1 sprain.

PurplePride80
11-11-2007, 11:38 PM
"baumy300" wrote:

Best news I have heard all day. I would have bet my next paycheck his leg snapped when I first seen the hit.

;D

Exactly. When he first went down, it looked really bad. But, then they kept showing AD on the sideline and it looked like he was alright. He jogged around a little bit and it didn't seem like anything too serious. But he was still limping when they walked onto the field to shake hands with the other players.

We'll see what happens early tommorow morning, keep ya fingers crossed.

ap07
11-11-2007, 11:59 PM
"baumy300" wrote:

;D

Well they (FOX) aholes pulled the game when it was 27-0.
So shortly after they cut back and showed the hit AP took.
Pisses me off they had the balls to pull the game.
Then give the hit 10 seconds and they go back to the philly game.

I hate Fox sports!
I will not watch them agian.
I bought the direct tv pacakage so I will NEVER get blacked out again.

COJOMAY
11-12-2007, 12:09 AM
"ap07" wrote:

"baumy300" wrote:

;D

Well they (FOX) aholes pulled the game when it was 27-0.
So shortly after they cut back and showed the hit AP took.
Pisses me off they had the balls to pull the game.
Then give the hit 10 seconds and they go back to the philly game.

I hate Fox sports!
I will not watch them agian.
I bought the direct tv pacakage so I will NEVER get blacked out again.

Better cancel your Direct TV because the football package is nothing more than the Fox Sports or CBS feeds.

singersp
11-12-2007, 07:34 AM
Peterson update: Sprain, but MRI tomorrow (http://www.startribune.com/blogs/vikings/?p=1127)

November 11th, 2007 – 4:05 PM

by Kevin Seifert
startribune.com

The Vikings are taking a cautious approach to diagnosing the right knee injury of franchise running back Adrian Peterson. He will undergo an MRI tomorrow morning in hopes that it isn’t more serious than a sprain..........

singersp
11-12-2007, 07:37 AM
Knee injury ends Peterson's day (http://www.startribune.com/vikings/story/1544044.html)

The running back felt he could return after shaking off the third-quarter hit, but coach Brad Childress told him to stay on the sideline.

By Judd Zulgad, Star Tribune

Last update: November 11, 2007 – 10:15 PM

GREEN BAY, WIS. - Adrian Peterson's heroics during the first half of the NFL season had been enough to end almost all discussion of the injury history the rookie running back brought with him from Oklahoma.

Until Sunday....

singersp
11-12-2007, 07:38 AM
"singersp" wrote:

Knee injury ends Peterson's day (http://www.startribune.com/vikings/story/1544044.html)

The running back felt he could return after shaking off the third-quarter hit......

That's good promising news to hear.

hx38596
11-12-2007, 07:49 AM
Maybe Childress can dock his pay if he has to sit out a week or two.

Here's a question..
With the season down the tubes as far as playoffs.
What do you think the chances are that AD might sit out several if not most of the games even if his knee is only minor?
Who supports this?
I've heard guys on here saying to 'shelf him' till you can get a QB.

How important is the rookie rushing record?

You would figure ticket sales are important, but the Oakland game still isn't sold out.
That's AD vs. the one of the worse rushing defenses in the league.
Should be a hell of a show, but no sell-out.
So even with AD in there, ticket sales aren't all there.
I know they would probably be worse if he sits, but tickets would still get sold.

Would you guys rather see him grind out this season (in vain) for a bit better record and worse draft pic with a chance at the rushing record.
Or have a very healthy AD next season with a high draft pic and new QB?

Marrdro
11-12-2007, 07:54 AM
"tb04512" wrote:

"singersp" wrote:

that announcer was an idiot the whole game

I've been trying to tell you guys that all year.
Most of them are biased and only parrot what the guy in the stat box puts on thier screen or tells them in thier ear piece.

They are almost as bad as the talking heads on ESPN sometimes.
;D

singersp
11-12-2007, 08:01 AM
Adrian Peterson's injury has Minnesota Vikings day going from bad to worse (http://www.twincities.com/vikings/ci_7437266)

Adrian Peterson's sprained knee was the low point during a miserable day for the Vikings.

BY DON SEEHOLZER
Pioneer Press

Article Last Updated: 11/12/2007 12:05:46 AM CST

GREEN BAY, Wis. - From an aesthetic standpoint, the Vikings' 34-0 loss Sunday was frightening on many levels.

The scariest moment, though, was easy to pinpoint.....

Vikes_King
11-12-2007, 09:16 AM
"He's Superman," Richardson said, "so we'll let him go into his little closet and transform and heal."

LOL

PurplePeopleEaters
11-12-2007, 01:50 PM
http://www.startribune.com/blogs/vikings/?p=1129

Peterson has ligament tear.

skum
11-12-2007, 01:51 PM
He said he didnt expect him to play Sunday and declined to comment on he could be out for 2 or 3 weeks.

Garland Greene
11-12-2007, 01:51 PM
This injury is not too bad.
Lateral Collateral ligament mostly torn but not completely.
It is the outside stabilizing ligament along the side of the knee.
Grade 2 of three.

V4L
11-12-2007, 01:52 PM
Nevermind then haha

Wow that sucks.. Get better soon AP!

This will be a nice ride without him huh?

V4L
11-12-2007, 01:54 PM
We’ll reserve judgment on what’s appropriate for that at the time. Everybody heals differently.”

Got that from ur article PPE

He said if it was a lineman they would brace it up and play.. I hope AP can go and be healthy.. Don't rush the kid back though

ItalianStallion
11-12-2007, 01:55 PM
The way the season going, let him rest it until it is for sure 100%, he's not leading us to any playoffs.

Schutz
11-12-2007, 01:55 PM
Well lets see if the APless vikes can beat Oaktown with what might be the first game of Jamarcus Russel.

PurplePeopleEaters
11-12-2007, 01:58 PM
Get ready for a 2-3 game losing streak.

pack93z
11-12-2007, 02:00 PM
Here is to a quick and speedy recovery... hopefully he comes back stronger than ever.

V4L
11-12-2007, 02:01 PM
Weird having a Packer fan wishing our only weapon a speedy recovery :)

Classy man!!

This sucks he won't beat the records now :(

Zeus
11-12-2007, 02:02 PM
"Garland" wrote:

This injury is not too bad.
Lateral Collateral ligament mostly torn but not completely.
It is the outside stabilizing ligament along the side of the knee.
Grade 2 of three.

Best news I've heard all day.

Since yesterday, all I could think was "Ki-Jana Carter".

=Z=

V4L
11-12-2007, 02:06 PM
Ki-Jana Carter! HA

Ouch that would suck...

Is AP really injury prone guys? He's been hurt every year of his college and NFL career so far except one

I know this one was legit and anyone could have gotten hurt.. But what do u guys think?

Garland Greene
11-12-2007, 02:07 PM
Ok bear with me for a minute. Here is why I say this.

The Vikings have nothing left to play for, at this point in the season. We obviouly need to look at next year and build off of that. Why should we risk further damaging AD's Knee or risk a further injury somewhere else.
It is just not worth it. Having had multiple knee injuries I also know forst hand how tricky knees can be and how a minor knee injury can Turn into a major injury. How many great players not just football,have we seen have there careers cut way to short because of knee problems? AD is young lets not ruin his future or potential by risking his knee further. Outside of Hutch, Rice and Birk there is nobody else on the offense that will be here for sure. Let him rest for the season and then lets look at building upon what we have next year. As much as it would be hard for us to have this happen in the bigger picture it may be the best thing to do.

marstc09
11-12-2007, 02:08 PM
"V4L" wrote:

Ki-Jana Carter! HA

Ouch that would suck...

Is AP really injury prone guys? He's been hurt every year of his college and NFL career so far except one

I know this one was legit and anyone could have gotten hurt.. But what do u guys think?

I think Al Harris is a piece of shit.

V4L
11-12-2007, 02:09 PM
No need to put him on the IR just make sure his knee is 100 percent and let him get more NFL experience

V4L
11-12-2007, 02:09 PM
Cheers Mars!!

MaxVike
11-12-2007, 02:10 PM
AD is a warrior.
Season's gone...I will be totally pissed if they hurry him back.

NodakPaul
11-12-2007, 02:10 PM
A injury to the LCL is worse than an injury to the MCL, but much, much better than an ACL or PCL injury.

An injury to the LCL by itself is actually pretty rare.
Surgery for an LCL injury in isolation is reserved for only the most severe tears, so most likely he won't need to go under the knife.
As for recovery time, that is pretty hard to say.
Again, LCL tears in isolation are pretty rare.
I expect him to sit out the next two games and then play with a brace on.

Normal recovery time is a period of rest than a brace for 4-6 weeks.

marstc09
11-12-2007, 02:11 PM
I agree. Let him sit the rest of the year or until he is 100%. We are going nowhere fast. Chester Taylor can handle it.

IBleedPurple11
11-12-2007, 02:11 PM
that would be a really dumb move, he still needs experience playing these teams. Even though he has been doing good lately doesnt mean anything, give him more time to learn how all the teams play in the NFL. He would prob ask for a trade if we did that. I know i would.

V4L
11-12-2007, 02:13 PM
Depends when we think he could actually come back actually

If its 3 weeks then a brace might as well limit his touches and let him get some experience

If it's anything more i'd just bench him.. Sad to say

pack93z
11-12-2007, 02:17 PM
Putting him on IR might allow the Vikes to showcase another Running back yet this season for an offseason trade...

On the other hand.. late in the year, AP might help fill the seats of the metrodome..

V4L
11-12-2007, 02:18 PM
Dilemma huh? This sucks!

C Mac D
11-12-2007, 02:19 PM
"marstc09" wrote:

I agree. Let him sit the rest of the year or until he is 100%. We are going nowhere fast. Chester Taylor can handle it.

Agreed, bring him back when we have a coach with an actual plan.

pack93z
11-12-2007, 02:20 PM
"marstc09" wrote:

Really, for going low to tackle a powerful great running back.. it wasn't like he tried to take him out.

Should we be stalking your DE that snapped Brett's neck forward? Injuries happen in football.. part of the game unless they are trying to take a player out.

V4L
11-12-2007, 02:21 PM
Very true Pack

We just don't like Al and the greatest moments i've seen was seeing Randy Moss LIGHT up Lambeau right past Al Harris and straight to the goal post!

I miss those days haha

tastywaves
11-12-2007, 02:22 PM
Bummer.
Could have been a lot a worse though.
I hope he gets healthy enough to come back in and play this year, he earned it.
Last thing he wants is to be labeled as that "would be great if not for the injury prone nature rb".

Chester and MeMo should see a lot more action, hope MeMo remembers how to take a handoff, been a pretty slow year for him.

Chester has had health problems as well, could be a tough last 7 games for this team.
I see we are back on the TJ rotation, wonder how long he will last before getting hurt again?

PurplePeopleEaters
11-12-2007, 02:22 PM
"pack93z" wrote:

"marstc09" wrote:

Really, for going low to tackle a powerful great running back.. it wasn't like he tried to take him out.

Should we be stalking your DE that snapped Brett's neck? Injuries happen in football.. part of the game unless they are trying to take a player out.

You mean the one that barely touched Brett at all and was called for a penalty?

Al Harris had a clean hit, don't complain about it people.

pack93z
11-12-2007, 02:23 PM
"V4L" wrote:

Very true Pack

We just don't like Al and the greatest moments i've seen was seeing Randy Moss LIGHT up Lambeau right past Al Harris and straight to the goal post!

I miss those days haha

One of the best days in Packer history.. the trading of Randy Moss.
;D

marstc09
11-12-2007, 02:25 PM
"pack93z" wrote:

"marstc09" wrote:

Should we be stalking your DE that snapped Brett's neck? Injuries happen in football.. part of the game unless they are trying to take a player out.

Ok now you have set me off! Anybody who goes low on someone knows exactly what can happen. It ends careers. (PERIOD) I bet you would be on here whining if someone hit Farve like that if he was running. Take him on like a man. You are in the NFL.

Stalking our DE? FOR WHAT? Did you see the game? He barely touched him. Even the announcers, who were kissing his ass all game, said that. It was a pathetic call. Farve was crying like a baby and knew he would get the call. This made me hate Farve even more.

V4L
11-12-2007, 02:26 PM
"PurplePeopleEaters" wrote:

"pack93z" wrote:

"marstc09" wrote:

I think Al Harris is a piece of pooh.

I do gotta say it was clean also.. He dove over the top and his hand hit his helmet

Was a little late yes.. But he really had no choice but to dive and his hand happened to be at the wrong place at the wrong time I guess

pack93z
11-12-2007, 02:27 PM

Actually it was so much the hit as it was the angle in which he was hit.. watch how fast the snap was.. right at the base of the neck.. not complaining it was just one of those things.. I agree Harris's hit was clean.

The hit on Brett was not intentional or anything.. just one of those things that happen.

V4L
11-12-2007, 02:27 PM
The Al Harris tackle was clean people

If he put his helmet into his knee I would be saying something completely different.. But he dove and tried to wrap him up.. Al was off to the side and it was really his only chance at bringing him down

Injuries happen and it was unfortunate

marstc09
11-12-2007, 02:28 PM

"pack93z" wrote:

"marstc09" wrote:

Would it have been clean if it was Brett Farve getting hit?

NodakPaul
11-12-2007, 02:29 PM
He will be 100% healthy before the end of the season, and if he was on IR he would not be gaining valuable experience.

Sit him until he is ready to play, and then put him back out there.

IBleedPurple11
11-12-2007, 02:31 PM
"pack93z" wrote:

"marstc09" wrote:

Should we be stalking your DE that snapped Brett's neck forward? Injuries happen in football.. part of the game unless they are trying to take a player out.

aaaaaahhhhhhhhh hahahahahaha you must have not seen the replay of that play, our DE dove over Favre and his hand BARELY touched the back of Favre's helmet. Favre was acting, he did not get hurt at all. Just like when he was limping after that one play....after that he calls hike and starts sprinting towards the sideline, and throws an 18 yard pass. Favre is a faker, it works so I give him credit for it but dont come on here saying that our DE almost broke his neck when you and everyone else knows that penalty was BULLSHIT!@ I turned the game off right after that play. HOMER refs I hate it!

pack93z
11-12-2007, 02:33 PM
"marstc09" wrote:

"pack93z" wrote:

"marstc09" wrote:

Ok now you have set me off! Anybody who goes low on someone knows exactly what can happen. It ends careers. (PERIOD) I bet you would be on here whining if someone hit Farve like that if he was running. Take him on like a man. You are in the NFL.

Stalking our DE? FOR WHAT? Did you see the game? He barely touched him. Even the announcers, who were kissing his ass all game, said that. It was a pathetic call. Farve was crying like a baby and knew he would get the call. This made me hate Farve even more.

Go look at the play again, you can clearly see that Brett's head was jerked forward and snapped back rapidly... it wasn't intentional but it was a touch hit either.. A QB sliding forward is protected from a hit, look it up in the rule book. I don't know what announcers you were listening to but I didn't hear either of them say it was a bad call.

Again.. it is part of the game, and the point was Harris's hit was no different than this one.. part of the game.

hx38596
11-12-2007, 02:34 PM
rookie wall - week 10.
That question is now answered.

Here's a question..
With the season down the tubes as far as playoffs.
What do you think the chances are that AD might sit out several if not most of the games even if his knee is only minor?
Who supports this?
I've heard guys on here saying to 'shelf him' till you can get a QB.

How important is the rookie rushing record?

You would figure ticket sales are important, but the Oakland game still isn't sold out.
That's AD vs. the one of the worse rushing defenses in the league.
Should be a hell of a show, but no sell-out.
So even with AD in there, ticket sales aren't all there.
I know they would probably be worse if he sits, but tickets would still get sold.

Would you guys rather see him grind out this season (in vain) for a bit better record and worse draft pic with a chance at the rushing record.
Or have a very healthy AD next season with a high draft pic and new QB and no rushing record?

pack93z
11-12-2007, 02:36 PM
Again, hopefully AP recovers quickly and fully.. but I am checking out of this thread.. not going to start a argument over it.

tastywaves
11-12-2007, 02:36 PM
"IBleedPurple28" wrote:

"pack93z" wrote:

"marstc09" wrote:

aaaaaahhhhhhhhh hahahahahaha you must have not seen the replay of that play, our DE dove over Favre and his hand BARELY touched the back of Favre's helmet. Favre was acting, he did not get hurt at all. Just like when he was limping after that one play....after that he calls hike and starts sprinting towards the sideline, and throws an 18 yard pass. Favre is a faker, it works so I give him credit for it but dont come on here saying that our DE almost broke his neck when you and everyone else knows that penalty was kaka del rio!@ I turned the game off right after that play. HOMER refs I hate it!

Too bad they don't call penalties for faking an injury to draw a penalty like they do in the NHL.
Favre is the best actor in the NFL, no doubt, it works so its hard to blame him.
You just don't have to respect him for it.

BMFVIKES
11-12-2007, 02:39 PM
http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/story/7438320?MSNHPHMA
Torn lateral collateral

marstc09
11-12-2007, 02:39 PM
"pack93z" wrote:

"marstc09" wrote:

"pack93z" wrote:

"marstc09" wrote:

Go look at the play again, you can clearly see that Brett's head was jerked forward and snapped back rapidly... it wasn't intentional but it was a touch hit either.. A QB sliding forward is protected from a hit, look it up in the rule book. I don't know what announcers you were listening to but I didn't hear either of them say it was a bad call.
Again.. it is part of the game, and the point was Harris's hit was no different than this one.. part of the game.

Please I saw it a bunch of times. That is not what that rule is all about.

::) Farve cried so he got his way. I have seen other QBs get brushed like that and no penalty. Udeze was clearly trying to avoid Farve, Al Harris was not.

BMFVIKES
11-12-2007, 02:40 PM
Torn lateral collateral - out at least one week.
Grade "2+"

2beersTommy
11-12-2007, 02:42 PM
"BMFVIKES" wrote:

Torn lateral collateral

out possibly 3 weeks

http://www.rotoworld.com/content/HeadLines.aspx?sport=NFL&hl=104699

BobbyOShea
11-12-2007, 02:44 PM
Sucks for Peterson... so much for that record I guess.
Thats probably a good thing though, now they won't overwork him if he comes back this season.
In the long run, this injury may be a good thing for you.
If Peterson had stayed healthy, you would have won a couple more games based on his talent alone.
Now, you won't win those games and have a chance to get a good quarterback in this year's draft.

Frostbite
11-12-2007, 02:45 PM
"marstc09" wrote:

"pack93z" wrote:

"marstc09" wrote:

"pack93z" wrote:

"marstc09" wrote:

Stalking our DE? FOR WHAT? Did you see the game? He barely touched him. Even the announcers, who were kissing his jiggly butt all game, said that. It was a pathetic call. Farve was crying like a baby and knew he would get the call. This made me hate Farve even more.

Go look at the play again, you can clearly see that Brett's head was jerked forward and snapped back rapidly... it wasn't intentional but it was a touch hit either.. A QB sliding forward is protected from a hit, look it up in the rule book. I don't know what announcers you were listening to but I didn't hear either of them say it was a bad call.Again.. it is part of the game, and the point was Harris's hit was no different than this one.. part of the game.

Please I saw it a bunch of times. That is not what that rule is all about.

::) Farve cried so he got his way. I have seen other QBs get brushed like that and no penalty.

Not when the QB decides to slide LATE and people are already in the motion to make the tackle which is what Brett Did. This guy gets over-protected/Babied more by Officials than ANY QB in tne NFL. I don't understand how any REAL FAN of the game can't be honest enough with themselves to admit this FACT.

I respect Brett and his ability but It was a horrible call considering how late in the Play Brett decided to go down. He should not get special treatment by any officiating crew just because of his tallent and name.

Cheers!

2beersTommy
11-12-2007, 02:46 PM
"BMFVIKES" wrote:

Torn lateral collateral - out at least one week.
Grade "2+"

possibly 3

http://www.rotoworld.com/content/HeadLines.aspx?sport=NFL&hl=104699

marstc09
11-12-2007, 02:46 PM
"BobbyOShea" wrote:

Sucks for Peterson... so much for that record I guess.
Thats probably a good thing though, now they won't overwork him if he comes back this season.
In the long run, this injury may be a good thing for you.
If Peterson had stayed healthy, you would have won a couple more games based on his talent alone.
Now, you won't win those games and have a chance to get a good quarterback in this year's draft.

I agreed with you all the way up to drafting a QB.

NodakPaul
11-12-2007, 02:47 PM
"pack93z" wrote:

Actually it was so much the hit as it was the angle in which he was hit.. watch how fast the snap was.. right at the base of the neck.. not complaining it was just one of those things.. I agree Harris's hit was clean.

The hit on Brett was not intentional or anything.. just one of those things that happen.

WTF pack, you had such a long streak of making intelligent posts, and then you through this one in.

I have the game on DVR and am watching the play right now as I type this.
Even at full speed it was barely a hit.
Here it is on NFLN:
http://www.nfl.com/videos?videoId=09000d5d8041c954
The Fav-re hit is at 2:16.
The AD hit is at 2:55.

If you watch, Udeze is committed to the tackle when Fav-re slides and Udeze does his best to avoid contact.
Your original post said, "Should we be stalking your DE that snapped Brett's neck?"
Give me a fucking break.
That's hardly "snapping his neck".
Had Fav-re not slid when he did (meaning sliding earlier or later) he wouldn't have gotten hit in the head.

Udeze did all he could to avoid hitting Fav-re and he gets a 15 yard penalty.
Harris purposely goes right at the knees of AD, yet there isn't a problem with that?
And Harris was not the only packer there, he had help from another Packer right at the same time that he hit him, so there was absolutely no need to go low.

So just so I understand where you are coming from, unintentionally clipping the top of someone's helmet is worse than intentionally taking out someone's knees?
Either both should have been penalties, or neither should have.

For the record, I recognize that the Harris hit was within the rules.
I still maintain (as I have many times before) that an intentional hit at the knees, regardless of the direction, should be an illegal hit.
It too often results in injury.
Harris's hit to AD's knees was intentional because he knew he would not be penalized for it.

Vikes_King
11-12-2007, 02:47 PM
i dont think we need to put him on IR.. but yes sit him until he is able to take the field, and when he comes back dont push him for the rest of the season

Vikes_King
11-12-2007, 02:49 PM
AD out.. Tavaris starting.. hm.. i hope the games not blacked out.. i still want to see the game :(

maybe i need to find cheap tickets? :( i'm pretty much broke tho lol

diesavike
11-12-2007, 02:49 PM
I don't want him to hurry back or anything like that, but Id like to see him play some more this year, he needs more experience in NFL games, help him pick up his blocks on passing plays and maybe learn to hold on to the ball a little better.
Sucks he had to go down.

C Mac D
11-12-2007, 02:54 PM
"diesavike" wrote:

I don't want him to hurry back or anything like that, but Id like to see him play some more this year, he needs more experience in NFL games, help him pick up his blocks on passing plays and maybe learn to hold on to the ball a little better.
Sucks he had to go down.

Although I agree with you that I'd like to see him play at least one more time this year, I don't think it's because he needs "Experience". He could working on his blocking, but I guess rushing for more yards than any running back EVER in a single game showed his lack of experience?

AngloVike
11-12-2007, 02:54 PM
Ok we had a similar dilemma last year when it was the shall we/shan't we play TJ scenario. In this instance we already know what Peterson can do and the way he can play in the NFL. So I would rather have him sit the bench until we are sure that he has fully recovered. It would be nice for him to get the rookie records etc but there will be many more records in the years to come - assuming we don't screw his knee by rushing him back too soon.
My concern is that Coach Clueless will push him back too soon in order to save his own skin if he suddenly feels things are getting too hot from the fanbase. Peterson will be able to play before the season is out but I don't want to see him put back on the field for the wrong reasons.

Frostbite
11-12-2007, 03:00 PM
There is no reason to sit A.P down the remainder of the season...He should play as soon as he's 100 percent again. Great RBs are kinda like Race Horses. They can't stay idle to long. It isn't good for the mind set or the body.

Cheers!

diesavike
11-12-2007, 03:00 PM
"C" wrote:

"diesavike" wrote:

Sucks he had to go down.

Although I agree with you that I'd like to see him play at least one more time this year, I don't think it's because he needs "Experience". He could working on his blocking, but I guess rushing for more yards than any running back EVER in a single game showed his lack of experience?

It showed he's a great runner.

V4L
11-12-2007, 03:02 PM
Believe it or not C Mac D he can gain more experience

I've seen plenty of runs where he is indesisive.. He can still learn alot more and develop his awesome game even more

Get more experience with the line and everybody too is also valuable.. But worth riskin bigger injury?

V4L
11-12-2007, 03:04 PM
Alright no more about Brett Favre

He should not go on IR like some people say (Chilly wouldn't do it anyway)

And he will come back in like 3 weeks and gain more experience

SKOL!

pack93z
11-12-2007, 03:07 PM
"NodakPaul" wrote:

"pack93z" wrote:

WTF pack, you had such a long streak of making intelligent posts, and then you through this one in.

Here it is on NFLN:

If you watch, Udeze is committed to the tackle when Fav-re slides and Udeze does his best to avoid contact.
Your original post said, "Should we be stalking your DE that snapped Brett's neck?"
Give me a fucking break.
Had Fav-re not slid when he did (meaning sliding earlier or later) he wouldn't have gotten hit in the head.

Harris purposely goes right at the knees of AD, yet there isn't a problem with that?
And Harris was not the only packer there, he had help from another Packer right at the same time that he hit him, so there was absolutely no need to go low.

So just so I understand where you are coming from, unintentionally clipping the top of someone's helmet is worse than intentionally taking out someone's knees?

I still maintain (as I have many times before) that an intentional hit at the knees, regardless of the direction, should be an illegal hit.
Harris's hit to AD's knees was intentional because he knew he would not be penalized for it.

To be clear and concise.. I don't think either of the hits were dirty or trying to cause intentional injuries. Honestly, I think QB's are to protected in this league without a doubt. I didn't stand and scream for a flag on the Favre hit, but it drew a flag because the rules in the NFL are set right now with sensitivity around the head, especially on QB's. I hate the slide rule because like so many other rules, it has too much gray area around it.

To illusrate it further.. the hit the Cory Williams put on Bollinger should have been a penalty every day of the week, but the flag on Cole later on was BS, a QB is a player on the field and should be able to hit the ground without a penalty.

On low tackle, if you outlaw a tackle lower than the knees, the running backs in this league will have field days because once a RB breaks into the secondary those corners aren't stout enough to take them on above the waist and bring them done. Harris didn't aim is helmet at knee, he put it in front and was trying to get him to the ground. It wasn't a dirty play is what I began saying in this thread.

My point in the beginning is if you think that Harris took a cheapshot, which I don't believe, then the hit on Favre could be considered one as well, again which I don't think it was.

As far as the hit on Favre.. watch his head snap forward putting the pressure on the base of the skull / neck.. there was no faking that at all. But do I think it was dirty.. no I do not..

marstc09
11-12-2007, 03:07 PM
"NodakPaul" wrote:

"pack93z" wrote:

Here it is on NFLN:

Give me a fucking break.

Thank You! Finally some sense.

The whole point is the Packers were up 27-0 at this point and 1:40 left in the 3rd. Not to mention 6 Packers within 5 yards persuing him. There was no reason to hit him like that. Was the game on the line? NO! I stand by my statement "Al Harris is a piece of shit.

NodakPaul
11-12-2007, 03:11 PM
If people are scared to put AD back on the field when he is 100% healthy, then you may as well retire him now.
Or actually trade him, since he won't want to be on a team that sits him when he is 100% for whatever the reason.

When AD is ready to get back on the field, then you put him back on the field.
Keeping him out so he is "fresh for next year" is not only giving up on the season before we are mathematically out of it, but it is also ripping off AD, who's contract is largely incentive based.

Also, sitting him for the rest of the season now will ensure that he hits the rookie wall AGAIN next year because he still won't be used to playing a full season.

The idea is a bad one, and we shouldn't even be debating it.

V4L
11-12-2007, 03:17 PM
Thanks NoDak!!!

Best post in here right now

V4L
11-12-2007, 03:19 PM
Okay lookin at the replay I still say the Al Harris hit wasn't bad at all

Sure there were about 5 Packers around but only 1 was ready to make the tackle

Al was off on the side.. What do u want him to do try to jump on his shoulders?

I'd take AP on down low also.. Sucks u have to do that but how else can u take him down? Expecially a small corner like Al Harris

I highly doubt Al was trying to hurt AP at all

marstc09
11-12-2007, 03:20 PM
"pack93z" wrote:

"NodakPaul" wrote:

"pack93z" wrote:

Here it is on NFLN:

Give me a fucking break.

To be clear and concise.. I don't think either of the hits were dirty or trying to cause intentional injuries. Honestly, I think QB's are to protected in this league without a doubt. I didn't stand and scream for a flag on the Favre hit, but it drew a flag because the rules in the NFL are set right now with sensitivity around the head, especially on QB's. I hate the slide rule because like so many other rules, it has too much gray area around it.

To illusrate it further.. the hit the Cory Williams put on Bollinger should have been a penalty every day of the week, but the flag on Cole later on was BS, a QB is a player on the field and should be able to hit the ground without a penalty.

On low tackle, if you outlaw a tackle lower than the knees, the running backs in this league will have field days because once a RB breaks into the secondary those corners aren't stout enough to take them on above the waist and bring them done. Harris didn't aim is helmet at knee, he put it in front and was trying to get him to the ground. It wasn't a dirty play is what I began saying in this thread.

My point in the beginning is if you think that Harris took a cheapshot, which I don't believe, then the hit on Favre could be considered one as well, again which I don't think it was.

As far as the hit on Favre.. watch his head snap forward putting the pressure on the base of the skull / neck.. there was no faking that at all. But do I think it was dirty.. no I do not..

Why did he not slide early and why did he slide with his head up? I will answer that question. He wanted more yards and knew he could draw a penalty. If he wants extra yards he should expect to be hit even when sliding.

NodakPaul
11-12-2007, 03:21 PM
"pack93z" wrote:

"NodakPaul" wrote:

"pack93z" wrote:

Here it is on NFLN:

Give me a fricken break.

So you are agreeing that the flag on Udeze was BS? OK, I can live with that.

V4L
11-12-2007, 03:21 PM
"V4L" wrote:

I'd take AP on down low also.. Sucks u have to do that but how else can u take him down? Expecially a small corner like Al Harris

Forgot he was not thinking about the other Packers around

The game goes too fast and so does AP.. He was just thinkin im gonna try to take him down

marstc09
11-12-2007, 03:22 PM
"V4L" wrote:

They were all ready to make the hit. Nobody even in the area to block them.

tastywaves
11-12-2007, 03:24 PM
"NodakPaul" wrote:

If people are scared to put AD back on the field when he is 100% healthy, then you may as well retire him now.
Or actually trade him, since he won't want to be on a team that sits him when he is 100% for whatever the reason.

When AD is ready to get back on the field, then you put him back on the field.
Keeping him out so he is "fresh for next year" is not only giving up on the season before we are mathematically out of it, but it is also ripping off AD, who's contract is largely incentive based.

Also, sitting him for the rest of the season now will ensure that he hits the rookie wall AGAIN next year because he still won't be used to playing a full season.

The idea is a bad one, and we shouldn't even be debating it.

Exactly.

pack93z
11-12-2007, 03:24 PM
"NodakPaul" wrote:

So you are agreeing that the flag on Udeze was BS? OK, I can live with that.

I didn't think it was worthy of a penalty no, but it was called because it was a shot to the head of a QB.. and with Goodells e-mail and threatening ejections, watch for more and more of the these types of calls this season.

ap07
11-12-2007, 03:26 PM
Jackson sure as hell better not start another game this season.
The kid is a joke and it shows that he is no where close to being an nfl qb. I would rather give Troy Williamson a shot at qb before I would allow Jackson to start.
Ziggy needs to put a call into Chilli's office and tell him today he is fired.
Worst coach in football history!
Go sign a damn vet to qb the rest of the season.
Look at what Kitna has done it Detroit! Sure as hell makes me wonder how Chilli can be so bad!

AP should sit a week and rest.
maybe in two weeks he will be good to go.
Taylor can do the job just fine.

V4L
11-12-2007, 03:26 PM
"marstc09" wrote:

"V4L" wrote:

It's not a big deal.. I saw 3 Packers about 7 yards back with AP coming sort of out of position

And one right in front with Al coming along the side

It happened.. No more beeatching about it anymore.. Life rolls on

Wasn't dirty.. There was no penelty.. And he didn't try to hurt him

V4L
11-12-2007, 03:27 PM
You can't just put someone on the IR if they are ready to come back even if its just for 2 more games.. If he is out 3 weeks and is close to 100 percent that will give 4 more games he could play in

marstc09
11-12-2007, 03:31 PM
"V4L" wrote:

"marstc09" wrote:

"V4L" wrote:

It's not a big deal.. I saw 3 Packers about 7 yards back with AP coming sort of out of position

Dirty and penalty are two different things.

It was dirty because it was unnecessary. IMO

It was legal because the rules say so. FACT

Can we prove that he was not trying to hurt him or he was? NO

The end result: Adrian Peterson is hurt. Seems like a big deal to me.

BTW is Farve hurt? NO!

ap07
11-12-2007, 03:35 PM
The hit on AP was dirty as hell.
Harris looked like he went right for the knee.
Was it a helmet to the knee or??
It looked the a helmet to knee hit.
Now on the Farve hit.
That was clean as it gets.
Farve gets all the calls if you dont know this yet. Anything close to a call on Farve will be called.

V4L
11-12-2007, 03:38 PM
Favre is never hurt Mad.. Hense all his continuous games played

AP is always hurt..

Sucks it happened.. Ppl need to stop riding his jock so much..

It wasn't a helmet to knee hit.. And it was legal.. Not dirty at all..

Tell me how would u all try to take down AP if he has a few steps on u and ur at his side?

V4L
11-12-2007, 03:45 PM
Sorry Ultra!!

Didn't use that handy search button everyone preaches about

ultravikingfan
11-12-2007, 03:46 PM
"ap07" wrote:

The hit on AP was dirty as hell.
Harris looked like he went right for the knee.
Was it a helmet to the knee or??
It looked the a helmet to knee hit.
Now on the Farve hit.
That was clean as it gets.
Farve gets all the calls if you dont know this yet. Anything close to a call on Farve will be called.

No it was not.
He went low which is 100% legal in football.
You are allowed to take out a players leg.

V4L
11-12-2007, 03:47 PM
People just want to think it was dirty cuz we all love AP and we hate the Pack and Al Harris

But I would have done the same thing.. AP could have ripped off a huge gain there if he didnt try to go for his legs

ultravikingfan
11-12-2007, 03:49 PM
"V4L" wrote:

People just want to think it was dirty cuz we all love AP and we hate the Pack and Al Harris

But I would have done the same thing.. AP could have ripped off a huge gain there if he didnt try to go for his legs

So very true my friend.

If we would have done that to Favre it would've been the greatest thing since sliced bread.

Frostbite
11-12-2007, 03:53 PM
"ultravikingfan" wrote:

"V4L" wrote:

So very true my friend.

If we would have done that to Favre it would've been the greatest thing since sliced bread.

I can't help but wonder though.....Would that same hit on Farve brought a flag??? Everything else seems too!

Al Harris did his job...pure and simple. This is Tackle Football isn't it?? There are already rules for leading with the helmet, spearing, horse collars etc. all Personal fouls.
I didn't see any of that in the Al Harris tackle.

Cheers!

midgensa
11-12-2007, 03:54 PM
Eh ... it is like any time any Vike we love gets hurt ... everyone and their momma wants to say it was dirty whether it was or not.
This hit was not dirty. I don't think there was ANY malicious intent. Just the thought process of "How the hell do I knock this guy down ... better go low."
I assure you if it was T-Will who had gotten hurt on the same tackle, not one person on here would be calling it dirty.

marstc09
11-12-2007, 03:54 PM
"V4L" wrote:

Ummmm No. There was 3 other guys ready to make the tackle.

ultravikingfan
11-12-2007, 03:59 PM
"midgensa" wrote:

Eh ... it is like any time any Vike we love gets hurt ... everyone and their momma wants to say it was dirty whether it was or not.
This hit was not dirty. I don't think there was ANY malicious intent. Just the thought process of "How the hell do I knock this guy down ... better go low."
I assure you if it was T-Will who had gotten hurt on the same tackle, not one person on here would be calling it dirty.

There it is folks.

For those of you who do not understand, the best way to bring down a player that will hand your ass to you is to go low.
I have my son do that on every tackle he makes...every tackle.
Sure, it is not as fun watching the "big hit" but you have a better chance of stopping the player.

Do you need furthur proof?

He is #26 on our team and he is money with the lower tackles.

Zeus
11-12-2007, 04:06 PM
"ultravikingfan" wrote:

"V4L" wrote:

So very true my friend.

Well, duh.

=Z=

Purplemania
11-12-2007, 04:07 PM
I'll agree it's not dirty, but it's still a wussy tackle =D

bleedpurple
11-12-2007, 04:18 PM
Looks like a grade 2 LCL damage... Here's the link..

He's week to week

http://www.profootballtalk.com/rumormill.htm

marstc09
11-12-2007, 04:19 PM
"ultravikingfan" wrote:

"V4L" wrote:

So very true my friend.

Not me. I call it like I see it. If Farve got hit like that I would of said it was bullshit.

marstc09
11-12-2007, 04:24 PM
"midgensa" wrote:

I would.

ultravikingfan
11-12-2007, 04:38 PM
"Zeus" wrote:

"ultravikingfan" wrote:

"V4L" wrote:

So very true my friend.

Well, duh.

=Z=

Hey, some people need reminded.

The DVD is not in the mail yet wiseguy.
:D

Big C
11-12-2007, 04:39 PM
Thanks for the update bleedpurple. Much appreciated.

I don't think it was a dirty tackle. It was a good tackle to bring down a player much bigger than you. The tackle that blew out Culpepper's knee was a dirty tackle (in my books) because he came in from the side.

Garland Greene
11-12-2007, 04:51 PM
I have had several people at work ask me "WTF Ligament is that" I forget that everyone has not had knee damage like me and is not familiar with the what it is. This is one of the ligaments I tore myself, somehow my ACL was the only one I did not tear. it is the one on the middle left

http://www.orthoassociates.com/images/Front_knee_BW.jpg

http://www.healthsystem.virginia.edu/uvahealth/adult_orthopaedics/images/ei_0277.gif

marstc09
11-12-2007, 04:55 PM
"Garland" wrote:

I have had several people at work ask me "WTF Ligament is that" I forget that everyone has not had knee damage like me and is not familiar with the what it is. This is one of the ligaments I tore myself, somehow my ACL was the only one I did not tear. it is the one on the middle left

http://www.orthoassociates.com/images/Front_knee_BW.jpg

http://www.healthsystem.virginia.edu/uvahealth/adult_orthopaedics/images/ei_0277.gif

Is that the thing you can feel on the back on your knee?

Garland Greene
11-12-2007, 04:57 PM
Depends upon how bony your knee is, but it would be on the left outside of your knee.
Guy like Shock and I, probably not ;D

DaVizzles
11-12-2007, 04:58 PM
How long does everybody think he will be out?

I bet 2-3 games

Garland Greene
11-12-2007, 05:15 PM
More info about the ligaments
http://www.healthsystem.virginia.edu/uvahealth/adult_orthopaedics/ligament.cfm

What are knee ligaments?
There are four major ligaments in the knee. Ligaments are elastic bands of tissue that connect bones to each other and provide stability and strength to the joint. The four main ligaments in the knee connect the femur (thighbone) to the tibia (shin bone), and include the following:

anterior cruciate ligament (ACL) - the ligament, located in the center of the knee, that controls rotation and forward movement of the tibia (shin bone).

posterior cruciate ligament (PCL) - the ligament, located in the center of the knee, that controls backward movement of the tibia (shin bone).

medial collateral ligament (MCL) - the ligament that gives stability to the inner knee.

lateral collateral ligament (LCL) - the ligament that gives stability to the outer knee.

What are the symptoms of a collateral ligament injury?
Similar to cruciate ligament injuries, an injury to the collateral ligament causes the knee to pop and buckle, causing pain and swelling.

http://z.about.com/f/p/440/graphics/images/en/8840.jpg

A second degree injury is a partial tear with no firm endpoint when the joint is stressed, and a third degree is a complete tear of the ligament. A physical examination will be done to test the extent of damage. Some other tests may include an MRI or joint X-ray.

The classic sign of this injury is hearing a "pop" and feeling the knee buckle sideways. Pain and swelling are are immediate.

This I thought was interesting..

http://orthoinfo.aaos.org/topic.cfm?topic=A00349

Collateral Ligament Injuries
Injuries to the MCL are usually caused by contact on the outside of the knee and are accompanied by sharp pain on the inside of the knee. The LCL is rarely injured.

http://hcd2.bupa.co.uk/fact_sheets/html/Knee_ligament_injuries.html
Lateral collateral ligament
The lateral collateral ligament (LCL) is like a thin cord that runs from the bottom of your thigh bone to the top of your shin bone on the outside of your knee. It's not usually damaged on its own and you may need to have it repaired if you are having surgery on other damaged ligaments.

http://www.sportsinjuryclinic.net/cybertherapist/front/knee/ilateralligament.html
The LCL is most commonly injured in sports by a direct impact to the inner surface of the knee joint, such as by a rugby or a football tackle. Injuries of this type are less common than those affecting the medial collateral ligament (MCL) which commonly occur as a result of trauma to the outer surface of the knee joint. In addition, the LCL is not connected to the lateral meniscus and so unlike MCL injuries, they are not normally associated with meniscal tears. However, due to the nature of the injury the anterior cruciate or posterior cruciate ligaments may also become damaged.

So Is AD really lucky or is there more damge than what we have been told? I am hoping it is luck.

Purple Floyd
11-12-2007, 06:17 PM
"Garland" wrote:

More info about the ligaments
http://www.healthsystem.virginia.edu/uvahealth/adult_orthopaedics/ligament.cfm

What are knee ligaments?
There are four major ligaments in the knee. Ligaments are elastic bands of tissue that connect bones to each other and provide stability and strength to the joint. The four main ligaments in the knee connect the femur (thighbone) to the tibia (shin bone), and include the following:

anterior cruciate ligament (ACL) - the ligament, located in the center of the knee, that controls rotation and forward movement of the tibia (shin bone).

posterior cruciate ligament (PCL) - the ligament, located in the center of the knee, that controls backward movement of the tibia (shin bone).

medial collateral ligament (MCL) - the ligament that gives stability to the inner knee.

lateral collateral ligament (LCL) - the ligament that gives stability to the outer knee.

What are the symptoms of a collateral ligament injury?
Similar to cruciate ligament injuries, an injury to the collateral ligament causes the knee to pop and buckle, causing pain and swelling.

http://z.about.com/f/p/440/graphics/images/en/8840.jpg

A second degree injury is a partial tear with no firm endpoint when the joint is stressed, and a third degree is a complete tear of the ligament. A physical examination will be done to test the extent of damage. Some other tests may include an MRI or joint X-ray.

The classic sign of this injury is hearing a "pop" and feeling the knee buckle sideways. Pain and swelling are are immediate.

This I thought was interesting..

http://orthoinfo.aaos.org/topic.cfm?topic=A00349

Collateral Ligament Injuries
Injuries to the MCL are usually caused by contact on the outside of the knee and are accompanied by sharp pain on the inside of the knee. The LCL is rarely injured.

http://hcd2.bupa.co.uk/fact_sheets/html/Knee_ligament_injuries.html
Lateral collateral ligament
The lateral collateral ligament (LCL) is like a thin cord that runs from the bottom of your thigh bone to the top of your shin bone on the outside of your knee. It's not usually damaged on its own and you may need to have it repaired if you are having surgery on other damaged ligaments.

http://www.sportsinjuryclinic.net/cybertherapist/front/knee/ilateralligament.html
The LCL is most commonly injured in sports by a direct impact to the inner surface of the knee joint, such as by a rugby or a football tackle. Injuries of this type are less common than those affecting the medial collateral ligament (MCL) which commonly occur as a result of trauma to the outer surface of the knee joint. In addition, the LCL is not connected to the lateral meniscus and so unlike MCL injuries, they are not normally associated with meniscal tears. However, due to the nature of the injury the anterior cruciate or posterior cruciate ligaments may also become damaged.

So Is AD really lucky or is there more damge than what we have been told? I am hoping it is luck.

He is probably more lucky that there wasn't more damage to his knee. I am not sure how good MRI's are now compared to what they had when i blew my knee out, but at that time it was always possible to find more damage after they went in than they found in the pictures. I certainly had more than they first suspected.

Vikadelic
11-12-2007, 07:05 PM
"marstc09" wrote:

"NodakPaul" wrote:

"pack93z" wrote:

Here it is on NFLN:

Give me a fricken break.

The whole point is the Packers were up 27-0 at this point and 1:40 left in the 3rd. Not to mention 6 Packers within 5 yards persuing him. There was no reason to hit him like that. Was the game on the line? NO! I stand by my statement "Al Harris is a piece of pooh.

I actually feel even dumber than I already am after reading your posts regarding this topic.
Deal with it man!
AD is hurt and you can blame bad luck rather than create an Oliver Stone conspiracy about it.
He is the greatest thing to enter the league in many years but injuries will happen.

ultravikingfan
11-12-2007, 07:50 PM
"marstc09" wrote:

"NodakPaul" wrote:

"pack93z" wrote:

Here it is on NFLN:

Give me a fricken break.

The whole point is the Packers were up 27-0 at this point and 1:40 left in the 3rd. Not to mention 6 Packers within 5 yards persuing him. There was no reason to hit him like that. Was the game on the line? NO! I stand by my statement "Al Harris is a piece of pooh.

Hit him like what?
Legally?
That was 100% legit!

What else was he supposed to do, wrap him at the waste?
He would've gotten blown-up doing that.

If this was us up 27-0 you would be drooling for a shutout.
If we injured Favre while winning 27-0 you would cream your pants.

Let me tell you this about football:

It's a man's sport
It's not a contact sport, it's a collision sport
It's kill or be killed
If you are a puss, quit
It's a violent game played by people who are violent

michaelmazid
11-12-2007, 07:54 PM
"ultravikingfan" wrote:

"marstc09" wrote:

"NodakPaul" wrote:

"pack93z" wrote:

Here it is on NFLN:

Give me a fricken break.

Hit him like what?
Legally?
That was 100% legit!

What else was he supposed to do, wrap him at the waste?
He would've gotten blown-up doing that.

If this was us up 27-0 you would be drooling for a shutout.
If we injured Favre while winning 27-0 you would cream your pants.

Let me tell you this about football:

It's a man's sport
It's not a contact sport, it's a collision sport
It's kill or be killed
If you are a puss, quit
It's a violent game played by people who are violent

:o
I agree with ultra. It was a clean hit and just like you and me, al harris does not like to be on a adrian peterson poster so he has to go low.

HornedHat
11-12-2007, 07:58 PM
Yeah, it's football, Chit happens. Al Harris was playing within the rules; still, that won't keep me from wiping my exit area with his image. I'll be lighting a candle for Al Harris.

singersp
11-12-2007, 09:27 PM
"V4L" wrote:

He was gunning for the knee, no ifs, ands or butts about it. The announcers tried to even cover it up by leading people to believe it was the thigh.

;D

Frostbite
11-12-2007, 09:33 PM
"singersp" wrote:

"V4L" wrote:

He was gunning for the knee, no ifs, ands or butts about it. The announcers tried to even cover it up by leading people to believe it was the thigh.

Wow....I have the utmost respect for your posts singersp...I have looked at this play over an over again on tape trying to see what you and some others saw on that tackle. I guess we will just have to agree to disagree.

I think....From What I See Al Harris went low to make sure he got peterson down....he did not spear...or lead with the helmet. The real travesty in the game was the "Ghost" penalty called on the "LATE SLIDE" by FARVE. That call was HORSE MANURE.

Still enjoying your posts singersp...Cheers!

;D

ultravikingfan
11-12-2007, 09:33 PM
Here is a fricken knee injury if you have ever seen one.
From the Fiesta Bowl OSU vs. Miami.

Nothing was ever mentioned that is was dirty:

xSySFNv9xNE

Frostbite
11-12-2007, 09:37 PM
"ultravikingfan" wrote:

Nothing was ever mentioned that is was dirty:xSySFNv9xNE

Yep....I for one have to agree with you Ultravikingsfan....and thanks for the vid.

Cheers!

singersp
11-12-2007, 09:39 PM
"Frostbite" wrote:

"singersp" wrote:

"V4L" wrote:

;D

Wow....I have the utmost respect for your posts singersp...I have looked at this play over an over again on tape trying to see what you and some others saw on that tackle. I guess we will just have to agree to disagree.

I think....From What I See Al Harris went low to make sure he got peterson down....he did not spear...or lead with the helmet. The real travesty in the game was the "Ghost" penalty called on the "LATE SLIDE" by FARVE. That call was HORSE MANURE.

Obviously you missed the smiley there Frostbite. That's why you probably posted within the quotes.
;)

I wanted to rile the kid a bit.

He went low to take his legs out from under him, because that's the only way Harris was going to take him down. He tries to take him down higher up & he would have just gotten bowled over.

Clean hit, unfortunate accident.

ultravikingfan
11-12-2007, 09:40 PM
"Frostbite" wrote:

"singersp" wrote:

"V4L" wrote:

;D

Dude, when you "Quote" a post, you have to scroll down to the very bottom of the post and then start typing.
You have to start after the [/quote] tag.
You keep posting within quotes and if people do not look they have no idea who posted what.

Frostbite
11-12-2007, 09:40 PM
Yep...I missed your smiley....Sorry....I guess we do agree then.

Cheers!

singersp
11-12-2007, 09:41 PM
"ultravikingfan" wrote:

Nothing was ever mentioned that is was dirty:

xSySFNv9xNE

Holy Fuck! Ouch!

Frostbite
11-12-2007, 09:43 PM
"ultravikingfan" wrote:

"Frostbite" wrote:

"singersp" wrote:

"V4L" wrote:

;D

Dude, when you "Quote" a post, you have to scroll down to the very bottom of the post and then start typing.
You have to start after the tag.
You keep posting within quotes and if people do not look they have no idea who posted what.[/quote]

Sorry...Hope this is better....I'm barely football savy and even less computer/board savy. Will try to do better folks!

Cheers!

ThorSPL
11-12-2007, 11:00 PM
You know, he's gonna get that "injury prone" BS for this... but do you honestly think ANYBODY wouldn't have been injured on that hit?

ultravikingfan
11-12-2007, 11:05 PM
Players going low happens in every game.
Its just the result is not always the same.
If a players foot is planted in the turf/grass then bad things can happen.

LT went low on EJ in the Chargers game.
He could've blown out his knee if EJ had not jumped right over him.

DaVizzles
11-12-2007, 11:05 PM
Here is the worst injury I have ever seen on a football field. I know it doesnt have to do with the knee but just thought I would show it

kbvx5DYS6tE

I feel so bad for Prothro, the guy would have been a really good player and gets his career ended by this....

C Mac D
11-12-2007, 11:12 PM
I realize this is sorta off topic... but has anyone seen these shirts? Awesome... 296 yards.... Love it....

http://nfl.imageg.net/graphics/product_images/p4247155reg.jpg

DaVizzles
11-12-2007, 11:17 PM
"C" wrote:

I realize this is sorta off topic... but has anyone seen these shirts? Awesome... 296 yards.... Love it....

Yea there is a thread for them....I think it jinxed him when everybody ordered one ::)

V4L
11-12-2007, 11:25 PM
"marstc09" wrote:

"V4L" wrote:

Ummmm No. There was 3 other guys ready to make the tackle.

That never stopped him before

ultravikingfan
11-12-2007, 11:33 PM
"C" wrote:

You mean this from the other week?
;D

singersp
11-13-2007, 06:44 AM
The Peterson hit (http://www.startribune.com/blogs/vikings/?p=1130)

November 12th, 2007 – 5:46 PM

by Judd Zulgad
startribune.com

There has been some talk today about whether Al Harris’ diving tackle of Adrian Peterson on Sunday was a clean hit. The rookie running back suffered a partially torn lateral collateral ligament on the play and will miss next week’s game against Oakland. Both Peterson and Vikings coach Brad Childress have said the hit by the Packers cornerback was not a dirty play........

hx38596
11-13-2007, 07:01 AM
"ThorSPL" wrote:

You know, he's gonna get that "injury prone" BS for this... but do you honestly think ANYBODY wouldn't have been injured on that hit?

The words that come to mind that people have said are, "upright running style".
When you're upright, then it's pretty easy to take out the legs.
And when they do get taken out, bad angle.

A runner a bit lower to the ground with a forward lean seems that the legs get taken out much less and when they do, it doesn't seem to be at a bad angle (against the 'hinge'".
Think Emmitt Smith.

singersp
11-13-2007, 07:15 AM
Season will continue for Peterson (http://www.startribune.com/audio/rich_media/1545573.html)

By Vanessa House
startribune.com

November 12, 2007

Vikings Coach Brad Childress talks about Adrian Peterson's knee injury, the long term impact of the injury and their loss against the Packers........

Click link above for AUDIO

singersp
11-13-2007, 07:24 AM
Minnesota Vikings star rookie Adrian Peterson could return by Nov. 25, but that could be risky
(http://www.twincities.com/vikings/ci_7445799)

BY SEAN JENSEN
Pioneer Press

Article Last Updated: 11/13/2007 12:35:44 AM CST

The Vikings are not ruling out the possibility of rookie Adrian Peterson returning from a sprained right knee as soon as the Nov. 25 game against the New York Giants......

singersp
11-13-2007, 07:26 AM
QA ON ADRIAN PETERSON'S INJURY (http://www.twincities.com/vikings/ci_7445797)

Pioneer Press

Article Last Updated: 11/13/2007 12:35:42 AM CST

WHAT HAPPENED ON THE PLAY?

Peterson: "It's like (Packers cornerback Al Harris) came out of nowhere. I remember making my cut, trying to beat one guy, and he came out of nowhere and hit me right dead on my knee."......

Mr Anderson
11-13-2007, 08:12 AM
I honestly don't care how long we sit him for. I want that knee to be 100% next time he steps on the field. Not 99.999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999%. 100%, nothing less.

And hell, without him, we have a better shot at Matty Ice out of BC in April
;D ;D

ultravikingfan
11-13-2007, 08:19 AM
"Mr" wrote:

I honestly don't care how long we sit him for. I want that knee to be 100% next time he steps on the field. Not 99.999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999%. 100%, nothing less.

;D ;D

I agree with you there.
Putting him in not 100% and risking a very serious injury is not worth it.
I read that some people say he needs the experience.
296 yards in a game is experience enough for me.

Lets not jeopardize the guys career or our teams future to win a game or 2 (maybe) by throwing him back in to early.
If the running game is there I have the utmost confidence in Taylor to manage it.

NordicNed
11-13-2007, 08:26 AM
"ultravikingfan" wrote:

"Mr" wrote:

;D ;D

I agree with you there.

Lets not jeopardize the guys career or our teams future to win a game or 2 (maybe) by throwing him back in to early.
If the running game is there I have the utmost confidence in Taylor to manage it.

I guess a few of us are in agreement on this one.
He shouldn't even come close to the fields sideline, until he's 100% and cleared to play based on that by team Dr's.....
And I'll also agree that CT is a very reliable and proven RB for us.....How quick some forget, CT was a 1,000 plus yards rusher for us last year.....We will be fine, lets just hope AD gets fine quick also..... ;)

singersp
11-13-2007, 08:31 AM
"NordicNed" wrote:

"ultravikingfan" wrote:

"Mr" wrote:

;D ;D

I agree with you there.

I guess a few of us are in agreement on this one.
He shouldn't even come close to the fields sideline, until he's 100% and cleared to play based on that by team Dr's.....
And I'll also agree that CT is a very reliable and proven RB for us.....How quick some forget, CT was a 1,000 plus yards rusher for us last year.....We will be fine, lets just hope AD gets fine quick also..... ;)

1200+
;)

hx38596
11-13-2007, 08:45 AM
"Mr" wrote:

;D ;D

Coach Childress sure would like to tag on a couple of wins for some job security.
The hype that comes with AD helps him also.

Potus2028
11-13-2007, 04:47 PM
This sucks!

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news;_ylt=AunGkK8y.jRxTH_brm9dTBpDubYF?slug=ap-vikingspeterson&prov=ap&type=lgns

Vikes_King
11-13-2007, 04:50 PM
i still think we'll be ok... its the raiders, who knows tho, we're the vikings :P lol

NordicNed
11-13-2007, 05:53 PM
"singersp" wrote:

Minnesota Vikings star rookie Adrian Peterson could return by Nov. 25, but that could be risky
(http://www.twincities.com/vikings/ci_7445799)

BY SEAN JENSEN
Pioneer Press

Article Last Updated: 11/13/2007 12:35:44 AM CST

The Vikings are not ruling out the possibility of rookie Adrian Peterson returning from a sprained right knee as soon as the Nov. 25 game against the New York Giants......

IF's ,
would'as, could'as.....geeeeeeeeez...PUT up some real news would ya?....Stop pumping the post count buddy...

scottishvike
11-13-2007, 06:11 PM
Glad to see the injury is not too bad, like others have said though no point in bringing him back before he is fully fit, it's not like we are in play-off contention.

ejmat
11-13-2007, 06:26 PM
it sucks about AP but I'm glad its not too serious.
I do agree that he needs to sit until he is 100%.
Records mean nothing.
The good news (if there is any) is that CT gets to showcase himself and can build his stock in case the Vikings are looking to trade for a vet QB maybe.
Don't take what I am saying wrong.
believe me I want AP out there all the time.
I'm only trying to look at a brighter side if there is one.

Frostbite
11-13-2007, 06:31 PM
last time I checked C.Tay was a pretty darn good runner/weapon. I am sure he will do his best to rise to the occasion and put some of his own rushing numbers up. I can't believe after seeing Oaktown play several times this season that we won't be able to have great success running the ball. Our O-line should dominate there D-line most of the time Sunday.

Then again...I thought we would play GB a tougher too....So who knows. Gonna hope for the best and cheer the Vikes on either way!

Cheers!

Garland Greene
11-13-2007, 07:42 PM
"ultravikingfan" wrote:

"Mr" wrote:

;D ;D

I agree with you there.

Thus why I said put him on IR. I really am not very positive that his Knee will be 100% before the end of the year.

michaelmazid
11-14-2007, 08:33 PM
Here is a good article from espn.com on peterson's injury

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/blog/index?name=bell_stephania

singersp
11-15-2007, 07:16 AM
World-famous surgeon corroborates Peterson diagnosis (http://www.startribune.com/blogs/vikings/?p=1134)

November 14th, 2007 – 11:10 AM

by Kevin Seifert
startribune.com

Dr. James Andrews, the world’s foremost authority on sports injuries, said today in a statement provided to the Vikings that RB Adrian Peterson’s right knee injury should be evaluated on a “week-to-week basis.” Andrews’ evaluation jibes with the Vikings’ original position that Peterson will recover in time to play again this season..........

digital420
11-15-2007, 07:54 AM
to be completly honest i don't see this season sturning around and us making a play off run.

some hard teams coming up..and we show a lack of cinsistancy that it would take to win them all.

but i'll nvr give up hope!! this goes hand in hand with how i see AP.

I hope for him to return this year.. and continue to dominate like he can!

but it it means having him for 5 years beatup and not at potential.. then i'd sacrafice his rookie year and bring him back so we get 5 years of his dominant potential!!

and after those 5.. another 5!!

DiGiTAL

ejmat
11-15-2007, 01:26 PM
I am not really worried about him getting experience.
The dominance he has showed tells me he's ready for the NFL.
Therefore he should be 100% before going.

Frostbite
11-15-2007, 01:38 PM
He needs to get back into game as soon as he's 100 percent (Whenever that Is) this season, and regardless of team position in standings. There is a mental battle to this game as well as the Physical. He's going to have to get hit again(Hard) and get up feeling good about the knee. One of the worst things (Mentally) coming back from any injury is the doubt about how strong you are. knowing your body will hold up in normal play again is essential to the overall well being of any player after an injury is sustained.

From all of the information circulating about the injury I expcet he will be back within the next 3 games of the remainding schedule.

Cheers!

NodakPaul
11-15-2007, 01:43 PM
"Frostbite" wrote:

He needs to get back into game as soon as he's 100 percent (Whenever that Is) this season, and regardless of team position in standings. There is a mental battle to this game as well as the Physical. He's going to have to get hit again(Hard) and get up feeling good about the knee. One of the worst things (Mentally) coming back from any injury is the doubt about how strong you are. knowing your body will hold up in normal play again is essential to the overall well being of any player after an injury is sustained.

From all of the information circulating about the injury I expcet he will be back within the next 3 games of the remainding schedule.

Cheers!

Absolutely right Frostbite.

snowinapril
11-15-2007, 01:56 PM
"NodakPaul" wrote:

"Frostbite" wrote:

Cheers!

Absolutely right Frostbite.

I agree about the mental and physical thing, but for some reason, I have a difficult time seeing AD hesitant to bang it up again.
JMHO.

I think he would have went in and kicked some ass again against the Pack.

snowinapril
11-15-2007, 01:58 PM
To add to what I said, the coaches always say they would like AD to hold back, I think for this reason, they might want to hold him back.
Just a thought!

hx38596
11-15-2007, 02:13 PM
"digital420" wrote:

to be completly honest i don't see this season sturning around and us making a play off run.

some hard teams coming up..and we show a lack of cinsistancy that it would take to win them all.

but i'll nvr give up hope!! this goes hand in hand with how i see AP.

I hope for him to return this year.. and continue to dominate like he can!

but it it means having him for 5 years beatup and not at potential.. then i'd sacrafice his rookie year and bring him back so we get 5 years of his dominant potential!!

and after those 5.. another 5!!

DiGiTAL

Very well said.
I say he returns after the Giants game.
Whatever happens, he has all offseason to finish healing that knee.
He needs to be back in.
I'll say he has more to lose NOT to come back this season...
rookie of the year (250k), 1300 yards (2.5mil), Pro bowl ($?).
Endorsements deals, rookie rushing record.
He comes back and he will quell all the injury, fluke noise that will no doubt start.
The media will make you a hero one day, then deal you the A-hole soon after.
They love the fall as much as the hype.

Coach Childress needs AD on the field, Wilf needs AD on the field, Minnesota needs AD on the field, and the NFL needs AD on the field.
Let him play.

Zeus
11-15-2007, 02:43 PM
"hx38596" wrote:

Coach Childress needs AD on the field, Wilf needs AD on the field, Minnesota needs AD on the field, and the NFL needs AD on the field.
Let him play.

No he doesn't, no he doesn't, no we don't, no they don't.

He needs to be 100% in 2008, when the Vikings might actually have something for which to play.
At this point, they don't.

=Z=

singersp
11-16-2007, 06:22 AM
No sense for Vikings to risk Peterson's future (http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/21793401/)

Owner may have to step in to stop rookie, coach from making huge mistake

By Bob Cook
MSNBC contributor

updated 6:42 p.m. CT, Wed., Nov. 14, 2007

Even if Adrian Peterson’s injured knee heals quickly enough so he misses only Sunday’s game against Oakland, the Minnesota Vikings had better think twice about playing their star rookie running back again this season.....

Marrdro
11-16-2007, 09:25 AM
What a hack.
Hell he is only a contributor and not really a reporter.
;D

Doesn't he know that the owner doesn't have a say, hell no one has a say for that matter.
The Chiller is just up there running around like a little Hitler and making all the decisions.

Seriously though, you can tell this guy doesn't have a clue.

I wonder what the rest of the team, especially the vets like Birk, Hutch, McKinnie, EJ, K-will, Phat Pat, think about having a rookie sit out just because he is more important to the team than they are.

What an ass.
To think that the staff would make a decision to sit a guy just because hacks like this try to say that one man is more important than the team.
Talk about loosing a team...... :o

Damn.

Zeus
11-16-2007, 09:26 AM
"Marrdro" wrote:

I wonder what the rest of the team, especially the vets like Birk, Hutch, McKinnie, EJ, K-will, Phat Pat, think about having a rookie sit out just because he is more important to the team than they are.

Hopefully, they would understand the folly of bringing him back before he's 100% since that is THE FRANCHISE right there, me boy-o.

=Z=

singersp
11-16-2007, 06:10 PM
"Marrdro" wrote:

The Chiller is just up there running around like a little Hitler and making all the decisions.

I'll have to disagree with you on that one Mar.
:P

NeoVikesTX
11-19-2007, 08:13 PM
Not sure if this has been posted yet....

Looks like the Packers may have put "bounties" on taking on Peterson.

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news?slug=ap-packers-bounties&prov=ap&type=lgns

League looking into report of Packers players' 'bounty' offers

By CHRIS JENKINS, AP Sports Writer
November 19, 2007

GREEN BAY, Wis. (AP) -- NFL officials are investigating whether Green Bay Packers players offered payments to teammates for achieving specific defensive goals.

League rules prohibit teams and players "from offering or accepting bonuses to a player for his or his team's performance against a particular team, a particular opposing player or players, or a particular group of an opposing team."

League spokesman Greg Aiello confirmed the investigation Monday.

ESPN reported that Packers defensive backs offered to pay the team's defensive linemen $500 each if there were able to hold Minnesota running back Adrian Peterson under 100 yards rushing two weeks ago, and another $500 for holding Carolina to under 60 yards rushing as a team on Sunday.

Peterson was held to 45 yards rushing before he left the Vikings' Nov. 11 loss to the Packers with an injury. But the Panthers rushed for 131 yards in Sunday's loss to Green Bay.

Packers coach Mike McCarthy said Monday morning he was not aware of the situation, but had not yet spoken to general manager Ted Thompson.

"I have no knowledge of that," McCarthy said. "I have not been made aware of that. I haven't talked to Ted today, so if it's something that happened this morning, we have not spoken."

Packers players were not available to the media on Monday after their 31-17 victory over Carolina.

NodakPaul
11-19-2007, 08:19 PM
"Zeus" wrote:

"Marrdro" wrote:

Hopefully, they would understand the folly of bringing him back before he's 100% since that is THE FRANCHISE right there, me boy-o.

=Z=

I am sure they would.
Hopefully the head coach also understands the folly of continuing to leave him on the bench even after he is 100%...