PDA

View Full Version : At this point of the season, who should Vikes take w/ first draft pick?

jkjuggalo
11-07-2007, 06:23 PM
Based on what you've seen so far this season, what is the position you want to see filled with a first round pick?
Try to have some imagination and not just say "Best pick available" because...well...duh!

My pick would have to be a safety such as Kenny Phillips from Miami.
It used to be OT Sam Baker from USC, but I changed my mind after watching our line dominate on Sunday.
The reason I like Phillips is because our safeties are getting old and don't have a lot of tread left.
We need somebody that can cover some ground and lay the wood on receivers.
If a WR has to worry about getting laid out, it is an advantage for our pass defense.
Phillips has drawn comparisons to Ed Reed and Sean Taylor.
I think he is a bigger, more athletic version of Robert Griffith myself.
Also, if we pick around 10-15, we have a real shot to get him.
Let's hope that we are picking last though!

NordicNed
11-07-2007, 06:30 PM
Way to early to say, depends how the year pans out, but if a QB doesn't show some great strides and improvement soon....I'de have to take a really good look at what QB's are there....Maybe Ryan from BC.

DustinDupont
11-07-2007, 06:42 PM
"jkjuggalo" wrote:

Based on what you've seen so far this season, what is the position you want to see filled with a first round pick?
Try to have some imagination and not just say "Best pick available" because...well...duh!

It used to be OT Sam Baker from USC, but I changed my mind after watching our line dominate on Sunday.
The reason I like Phillips is because our safeties are getting old and don't have a lot of tread left.
If a WR has to worry about getting laid out, it is an advantage for our pass defense.

i love kenny phillips to and if his there i would love to get him! we need a guy that people fear when the come across the middle

jkjuggalo
11-07-2007, 06:55 PM
As far as QB's go, I think Andre Woodson has the most upside out of any QB in this draft.
However, I do not think he fits the WCO due to his slower than average throwing motion.
Because of that, I agree with Ned that Ryan is the best fit for the Vikes.
Maybe we can wait for the second round for a QB like Brennan (high risk high reward?) or Henne.
Perhaps we have another QB slide like Quinn did in 07.
Brohm is the most likely candidate for this since his team has not lived up to expectations this season.

Purple Floyd
11-07-2007, 07:18 PM
BPA

NordicNed
11-07-2007, 07:22 PM
"jkjuggalo" wrote:

As far as QB's go, I think Andre Woodson has the most upside out of any QB in this draft.
However, I do not think he fits the WCO due to his slower than average throwing motion.
Maybe we can wait for the second round for a QB like Brennan (high risk high reward?) or Henne.
Brohm is the most likely candidate for this since his team has not lived up to expectations this season.

Another thing for sure, the Browns are not going to keep both Quinn and Anderson next season, and as of now, I wouldn't mind us bringing in either one and giving them a shot....

Rambro
11-07-2007, 07:25 PM
Some kind of pass rusher, I don't really pay attention to college football so I don't know any good ones.

Purple Floyd
11-07-2007, 07:30 PM
"NordicNed" wrote:

"jkjuggalo" wrote:

Another thing for sure, the Browns are not going to keep both Quinn and Anderson next season, and as of now, I wouldn't mind us bringing in either one and giving them a shot....

Out of curiosity, why do you think it is a sure thing that they won't keep both? Is there some contractual reason that would prevent them from keeping both guys? It seems to me with injuries like they are that having 2 quality guys would be a good policy unless one has a contract due that would put them over the cap.

V-Unit
11-07-2007, 07:33 PM
I would like to say BPA, but it is just so obvious that we need to go with a QB. The need is just so much bigger than anywhere else. Yes OL may be lacking, but Cook is so developing. Rice may turn into a stud WR, and its hard for rookie receivers to make an immediate impact.

Defensively, we are already extremely young at CB, LB, and DE.
My draft priority would be like this, position-wise:

1. QB
2. S
3. WR
4. DT

Purplemania
11-07-2007, 07:35 PM
I would love Kenny Philips! Unfortunately, he's a top 10 pick so unless we suck to the extreme, we aren't getting him. Matt Ryans is also an excellent pick.

BTW stay away from Andre Woodson! He is not as good as people think!!!!!!!!!!

NordicNed
11-07-2007, 07:36 PM
"UffDaVikes" wrote:

"NordicNed" wrote:

"jkjuggalo" wrote:

Out of curiosity, why do you think it is a sure thing that they won't keep both? Is there some contractual reason that would prevent them from keeping both guys? It seems to me with injuries like they are that having 2 quality guys would be a good policy unless one has a contract due that would put them over the cap.

Good question UFFDA,

My reasoning is this.
Not so much because the team won't want both, but because of the players themselves.
Both could start for most NFL teams out there.
So one of the two is not going to be very happy at all, and I believe which ever one ends up being offered the # 2 spot, is going to start one hell of a storm there and demand a trade to someone who would be willing to start them, and the teams that will be willing to do that will be numerous.......

JMHO

PurplePowerPunch
11-07-2007, 07:38 PM
It's way to early to say right now, but I really like the Kenny Phillips tho. Our safeties are getting older and they're loosing steps. He could fit right in with our cover 2 defense, and shine because of his ball-hawking skills. He's a stud down here in Miami!!! :)

singersp
11-07-2007, 07:52 PM
At this point in the seson we shouldn't even be discussing the 2008 draft.
:P

NordicNed
11-07-2007, 07:55 PM
"singersp" wrote:

Now your starting to sound just like
some
A S S, I know
on this site..... ::)

singersp
11-07-2007, 07:56 PM
"NordicNed" wrote:

"singersp" wrote:

some
A S S, I know

LOL! I knew that would get someones goat.
;)

You gonna pick another winner like Charlie Whitehurst again?

NordicNed
11-07-2007, 08:08 PM
"singersp" wrote:

"NordicNed" wrote:

"singersp" wrote:

some
A S S, I know

;)

Hate to bust your bubble, but Whitehurst's play is part of the reason they let Brees go and moved Rivers up and Whitehurst is # 2 on the Chargers depth chart now.
And I've read some very good things about Whitehurst play as #2 with the Chargers, matter of fact, I'll go ahead and say this now also,
wouldn't be suprised one bit if we see someone try to go after Whitehurst this coming off season.
Not suprised at all......

Admit it, you just hate these topics because you don't even follow college..... :-*

Purple Floyd
11-07-2007, 08:16 PM
"NordicNed" wrote:

"UffDaVikes" wrote:

"NordicNed" wrote:

"jkjuggalo" wrote:

Good question UFFDA,

My reasoning is this.
Not so much because the team won't want both, but because of the players themselves.
Both could start for most NFL teams out there.
So one of the two is not going to be very happy at all, and I believe which ever one ends up being offered the # 2 spot, is going to start one hell of a storm there and demand a trade to someone who would be willing to start them, and the teams that will be willing to do that will be numerous.......

JMHO

that is reasonable.

I used the same analogy in regards to AP and CT on this team. I realize it isn't totally the same since a qb takes every snap while rb's can rotate and share the backfield but both have a similar basis.

My gut feeling is they hold on to both next year with the position that they will compete for the starting job and when one becomes a clear winner, they will then shop the other after next season.

PurpleGator
11-07-2007, 08:17 PM
Is this even a question?
I think we all know the answer.....

Ufda.... A running back! duh.....

singersp
11-07-2007, 08:19 PM
"NordicNed" wrote:

"singersp" wrote:

"NordicNed" wrote:

"singersp" wrote:

some
A S S, I know

;)

Hate to bust your bubble, but Whitehurst's play is part of the reason they let Brees go and moved Rivers up and Whitehurst is # 2 on the Chargers depth chart now.
And I've read some very good things about Whitehurst play as #2 with the Chargers, matter of fact, I'll go ahead and say this now also,
wouldn't be suprised one bit if we see someone try to go after Whitehurst this coming off season.

Admit it, you just hate these topics because you don't even follow college..... :-*

College football I don't follow. I prefer to follow college chicks........ 8)

Don't care if there is draft threads, I can easily avoid them. The only time I don't care for them, as with any other topic, is when there's a dozen similar or duplicate ones. (Not that there is of these yet)

But you wait, there hasn't been an "The official who should Vikes take w/ first draft pick?" thread yet.

PurpleGator
11-07-2007, 08:20 PM
Yep.... Its not official so it doesn't count.

jkjuggalo
11-07-2007, 09:16 PM
"singersp" wrote:

"NordicNed" wrote:

"singersp" wrote:

"NordicNed" wrote:

"singersp" wrote:

some
A S S, I know

;)

College football I don't follow. I prefer to follow college chicks........ 8)

Don't care if there is draft threads, I can easily avoid them. The only time I don't care for them, as with any other topic, is when there's a dozen similar or duplicate ones. (Not that there is of these yet)

But you wait, there hasn't been an "The official who should Vikes take w/ first draft pick?" thread yet.

Just curious...who makes a thread "official?"
Mods?

shockzilla
11-07-2007, 09:59 PM
Not really. People make it "Official" so other people don't start a thread about the same subject, like "Official Tailgating Pics Thread", etc.

ItalianStallion
11-08-2007, 12:02 AM
We pick the best player available, if 2 are equal, pick a QB (if we didn't address it in FA).

Schutz
11-08-2007, 12:07 AM
You always draft the talent, don't make a big reach one year for a same caliber player you could get the next year 2 or 3 rounds later..............T-Jack/Cook being good examples.
I mean there's some duh things like RBs but hey even then you can draft a running back and pull a Chargers and trade him down for an extra pick and the player we wanted.

midgensa
11-08-2007, 12:24 AM
We should draft the rights to Adrian Peterson's first-born son.

Frostbite
11-08-2007, 12:24 AM
Hmmm....I doubt Ryan will still be there on our pick....as far as QBs go Dennis Dixon of Oregon looks pretty good and most likely will still be there.....then of course we could hold out on signing a rookie QB and see what comes available in the seasoned guys around the League. Might end up with a quality seasoned starter???

Cheers!

SKOL
11-08-2007, 12:35 AM
"UffDaVikes" wrote:

BPA

Agree completely.
If you draft for need, as opposed to BPA, you get Troy Williamson.

singersp
11-08-2007, 12:39 AM
"SKOL" wrote:

"UffDaVikes" wrote:

BPA

Agree completely.

IMO you don't draft for immediate need unless the BPA's fit your needs. That is what FA is for.

jkjuggalo
11-08-2007, 12:48 AM
"jkjuggalo" wrote:

A lot of you are breaking this rule.
Since it is hard for some of you to use your imaginations, let me rephrase the question completely:
Let's say our pick comes and we have several players of multiple positions ranked equally on our board...which position do you fill and what players coming out of college would you want to fill that position for our beloved Vikes?
No more BPA answers please...that is a stock answer and does not belong on this thread as this is all hypothetical, obviously at this point of the season.

DustinDupont
11-08-2007, 02:23 AM
"SKOL" wrote:

"UffDaVikes" wrote:

BPA

Agree completely.

Twill is a stud! ;D

El Vikingo
11-08-2007, 04:51 AM
With our 1st and 2nd round draft I would pick Derek Anderson from the Cleveland Bronws.

Vikes
11-08-2007, 05:22 AM
"El" wrote:

With our 1st and 2nd round draft I would pick Derek Anderson from the Cleveland Bronws.

Good CALL Mr. Future GM.

Marrdro
11-11-2007, 09:30 AM
Don't let these guys mess with you.
I for one like talking draft, however, I haven't done alot of work on my mock yet.

I do rate the following positions as a need/priority:

a. DE
b. WR
c.
QB
d. C

I think all of them could be addressed in FA if we can get Bryzcheapski to come off some of the CAP windfall he has stored up.
;D

If push came to shove I would do the following:

1rst round - QB.
Normally I'm not a proponent of gambling a first rounder on a QB but I believe this staff are very good at evaluating talent.
One of the top flight guys should be avail who wouldn't take years to develop.
2nd round - DE.
Sure we have lots of talent at this position but believe that Erasmus just isn't gonna be the same.
Hope I am wrong on that but just read again that he now has a foot injury or something.
Anyway, draft a stud here for depth/development.

3rd round - WR.
Again, I like what we have so I think you wait until the 3rd round and draft another guy for depth.
4th round - C.
I know we have Birk so why a C.
At this point I believe you start looking for his replacement and start grooming him.

Again, I believe because we have had 2 really solid drafts and the kids are getting reps/experience this team has a very solid core, ableit young, group of players that we can build on for the future.
Now the staff needs to start drafting BPA to add depth/backups to some key positions.

Fix our QB and DE issues via FA I say.
;D

jessejames09
11-11-2007, 09:59 AM
I'd trade our 1st round pick and Troy Williamson for a pack of gum.

As no one would trade a pack of gum straight up for troy.

skum
11-11-2007, 10:47 AM
1st round - Depens on where we land but right now i see any of these as Vikings

Quarterback Matt Ryan, Boston College - He is the most polished QB of the ones that are in the draft right now, he runs a prostyle offense at BC.

Safety - Kenny Phillips, Miami - He is an awesome player, really a stud safety, is a ballhawking safety like Darren Sharper, Ed Reed and those guys, but he also has the power and strenght to hit like an Brian Dawkings or Sean Taylor, very big talent who would be hard to pass by if he is sitting there in front of us.

Offensive Tackles include, Jake Long from Michgan (unrealistic as he is for sure a top3 pick, but he could fall with like an injury or a bad comebine/pro day whatever.) Sam Baker from USC and Gosder Cherilus from Boston College. All first round talents.

Defensive Tackle - Sedrick Ellis, USC - Just to be a primetime player to replace Pat Williams when he is eventually going to retire, however with that 3 year deal he signed, i think its a bit unrealistic to see us spend a first round pick on a defensive tackle in next years draft.

Wide receivers include guys like DeSean Jackson from Cal, who is an electrying returnman like Ted Ginn, but is bigger and allthough not that fast, his bigger size makes a far better reciever than Ginn is.

The big guy Early Doucet from LSU and Adarius Bowman from Oklahoma State are also first round talents

Im not buying into Brian Brohm, but could go with Andre Woodson.

There are also quarterbacks like Chad Henne from Michigan and Colt Brennan, John David Booty and Heisman candidate Dennis Dixon availible in the later rounds.(2 and 3rd) - You might be able to snacht a guy like Matt Flynn from LSU in the 4th.

Given that Mewelde Moore is going to leave i think its possible that we are going to pick up a runningback on day 2.

A guy that we could get in like the 6th round is Thomas Brown from Georgia - he is very injuryprone and thats the only reason that he isnt going on the first day, i could serve well as a 3rd runningback for a team and he is also a very good kickreturner.

I think that a guy the staff are looking at is the RB/FB from LSU Jacob Hester, he is a workhorse he can play both RB and FB, kinda like Brian Leonard who was picked by the Rams, he is doing really well for LSU and he has really good pass catching abilities out of the backfield.

Big widereciever from Arkansas, Marcus Monk, he is amazing 6'6 and right now looks like a 5th round pick, that could be a good investment and could be for us what Marcus Robinson was.

Clemson tackle Barry Richardson has dropped far but has been around the first round earlier, there was talk that he would go to the draft last year, but opted to another year in school. He could also be taken on day 2 of the draft if he keeps his current status, but it is also very likely that a team would reach for him in the 2nd or 3rd round.

The guards in this years draft is really weak and the way Herrera is playing right now i dont think that the staff will take a guard.

Texas DT Frank Okam is a 2/3 round pick who is a big guy like Pat, he is right now at about 320.

Marrdro
11-11-2007, 10:49 AM
"skum" wrote:

Quarterback Matt Ryan, Boston College - He is the most polished QB of the ones that are in the draft right now, he runs a prostyle offense at BC.

Safety - Kenny Phillips, Miami - He is an awesome player, really a stud safety, is a ballhawking safety like Darren Sharper, Ed Reed and those guys, but he also has the power and strenght to hit like an Brian Dawkings or Sean Taylor, very big talent who would be hard to pass by if he is sitting there in front of us.

Offensive Tackles include, Jake Long from Michgan (unrealistic as he is for sure a top3 pick, but he could fall with like an injury or a bad comebine/pro day whatever.) Sam Baker from USC and Gosder Cherilus from Boston College. All first round talents.

Defensive Tackle - Sedrick Ellis, USC - Just to be a primetime player to replace Pat Williams when he is eventually going to retire, however with that 3 year deal he signed, i think its a bit unrealistic to see us spend a first round pick on a defensive tackle in next years draft.

Wide receivers include guys like DeSean Jackson from Cal, who is an electrying returnman like Ted Ginn, but is bigger and allthough not that fast, his bigger size makes a far better reciever than Ginn is.

The big guy Early Doucet from LSU and Adarius Bowman from Oklahoma State are also first round talents

There are also quarterbacks like Chad Henne from Michigan and Colt Brennan, John David Booty and Heisman candidate Dennis Dixon availible in the later rounds.(2 and 3rd) - You might be able to snacht a guy like Matt Flynn from LSU in the 4th.

Given that Mewelde Moore is going to leave i think its possible that we are going to pick up a runningback on day 2.

A guy that we could get in like the 6th round is Thomas Brown from Georgia - he is very injuryprone and thats the only reason that he isnt going on the first day, i could serve well as a 3rd runningback for a team and he is also a very good kickreturner.

I think that a guy the staff are looking at is the RB/FB from LSU Jacob Hester, he is a workhorse he can play both RB and FB, kinda like Brian Leonard who was picked by the Rams, he is doing really well for LSU and he has really good pass catching abilities out of the backfield.

Big widereciever from Arkansas, Marcus Monk, he is amazing 6'6 and right now looks like a 5th round pick, that could be a good investment and could be for us what Marcus Robinson was.

Clemson tackle Barry Richardson has dropped far but has been around the first round earlier, there was talk that he would go to the draft last year, but opted to another year in school. He could also be taken on day 2 of the draft if he keeps his current status, but it is also very likely that a team would reach for him in the 2nd or 3rd round.

The guards in this years draft is really weak and the way Herrera is playing right now i dont think that the staff will take a guard.

Texas DT Frank Okam is a 2/3 round pick who is a big guy like Pat, he is right now at about 320.

Thats what I call a post.
Great job Skum

Hey, I wanted to watch Henne a bit, but when I turned on the game he wasn't in.
Anyone know why?

thorshammer
11-11-2007, 10:51 AM
BPA...........you can always use the bpa for a trade to some team that has that need more than you.

skum
11-11-2007, 10:55 AM
"Marrdro" wrote:

"skum" wrote:

Great job Skum

Anyone know why?

He wasnt doing good, so they wanted to give Ryan Mallet some snaps and there is talk that he also had a nagging shoulder injury.

Marrdro
11-11-2007, 11:07 AM
"skum" wrote:

"Marrdro" wrote:

"skum" wrote:

Great job Skum

Anyone know why?

He wasnt doing good, so they wanted to give Ryan Mallet some snaps and there is talk that he also had a nagging shoulder injury.

Was curious to see why he was sat.
I kindof like the stuff I've seen in scouting reports.
Still haven't seen him play yet.
I kindof think he might be avail in the 2nd round.

ancoin
11-11-2007, 11:10 AM
"skum" wrote:

Respect homie :P Great post!

My personal favorite is Kenny Philips! Man if he could kill people running in the middle of the field! I love S coming up with bug hits. And he could learn next to one of the best (Sharper) Would LOVE it! Otherwise Ryan or DeSean!

C Mac D
11-11-2007, 12:04 PM
Probably not first round... but he should be a Viking regardless.

http://www.doubleazone.com/images/dennisdixon.jpg

skum
11-17-2007, 12:11 PM
Chad Henne is playing a big game right now vs Ohio State, give it a look..

Also take a look at Ohio States #50 DE Vernon Golston, #2 CB Malcolm Jenkins and #33 LB James Laurinitis

For Michigan give #20 RB Mike Hart, #77 OT Jake Long and #86 WR Mario Manningham a look.

renovikesfan
11-17-2007, 12:38 PM
"skum" wrote:

Great last name...anyone know if there are any WRs available named Moss or Carter?
We could have a WR Corps that at least SOUNDED legendary...LMAO

Rice, Monk, Carter, and Moss!!!
;D

renovikesfan
11-17-2007, 12:42 PM
"C" wrote:

Probably not first round... but he should be a Viking regardless.

http://www.doubleazone.com/images/dennisdixon.jpg

Definitely doubtful as a 1st-rounder now.
Poor kid could probably literally hear his $$$ flushing away when he learned he was done for the season...

FreakinVikingsBaby
11-17-2007, 01:01 PM
"skum" wrote:

Also take a look at Ohio States #50 DE Vernon Golston, #2 CB Malcolm Jenkins and #33 LB James Laurinitis
For Michigan give #20 RB Mike Hart, #77 OT Jake Long and #86 WR Mario Manningham a look.

I would $hit myself if we got him, he's an absolute beast. If we need a good de, howie long's kid is always getting double teams, yet putting pressure on the qb. He's also fast as hell. I know it sounds like I'm saying get the kids with good last names, but these two kill it every game.

PurplePowerPunch
11-17-2007, 01:01 PM
"skum" wrote:

I've had my eye on Henne for a minute now, and I think he sucks.

Mr Anderson
11-17-2007, 01:15 PM
Quarterback.... although Kenny Phillips at Safety is tempting.

Right Tackle in FA, Max Starks from the Steelers.

Wide receiver in the second round.

ultravikingfan
11-17-2007, 01:18 PM
"skum" wrote:

All those are fine players.
Hart is plagued by injuries and we already have 2 good backs.

Crable is awesome as well.

tb04512
11-17-2007, 01:19 PM
"Mr" wrote:

Quarterback.... although Kenny Phillips at Safety is tempting.

Right Tackle in FA, Max Starks from the Steelers.

Wide receiver in the second round.

yeah kenny phillips is veryyyyy tempting

PurplePeopleEaters
11-17-2007, 01:25 PM
Agreed with Anderson exactly. Phillips is going to be really tempting in the first round but if we don't get one in FA, a franchise QB has to be our #1 priority. That would be the beginning of building a REAL franchise offense. A QB who can really throw the ball around with accuracy to play alongside Peterson...

2nd round you have to go with Antoine Cason if he drops to us.. BPA has worked well for us in the past. If not, I like a highly touted WR much like the rice pick last year. Start Rice and whoever the pick is there and have Wade play in the slot.. maybe pick up a key FA WR like Bryant Johnson or Patrick Crayton to start but otherwise I would like a really young lineup with Adrian, maybe Matt Ryan, Rice at one WR and a rookie at the other WR spot.

Third round on you go Safety, fullback, or Tackle/Guard. Tony Richardson is getting old and needs a replacement. Dwight Smith is starting to become one of my least favorite players and Sharper is getting old as well so we need one of those three spots filled.

Cook has improved a little bit but he needs to improve a lot more to be a starter in the NFL. I like Herrera but he seems more like a career backup to me.

mountainviking
11-17-2007, 01:32 PM
Well, I'm not completely sure why, but I am pretty sure that CLE will not part with Anderson this off season.
I guess it has simply been too long since the Browns had anything to cheer about, and now that they've found a QB that works, it would kill their PR if they traded him away and Quinn doesn't pan out.
If it were us, I would want both of them for one more year so we can see what we have in Quinn, and use what works for one more year...then, make the more educated guess as to which is the keeper in the next off season.

So, that, combined with what looks to be a very poor FA QB class otherwise, leaves us with a glaring need at QB.
So, unless there is a crazy run on QBs early, that is where we should go.
That being said, I still don't want to see us reach too far, we could get a good QB in round 2 or 3 or even later, you never know.

That safety Philips sounds like another good pick, or Jake Long if he's still around...to push both McKinnie and Cook!
We should know better by the end of the season if Herrera and Cook are going to be able to hold down the Right side...

Somewhere, somehow, we need to get more pressure from the dline...so another DE or even a DT wouldn't be out of the question.

And then, my last priority in the first round, but if the BPA is this year's Calvin Johnson, I'd be all for that too.

And, as mentioned earlier, eventual replacements for Birk and Moore should be in the plans somewhere...

If you guys haven't seen this draft sight, check it out, its one of my favorites...seems pretty accurate and very knowledgeable of the college football scene...its not all filled in yet, but will improve as the draft gets closer...he's got us taking Matt Ryan with the 8th pick.

http://www.nfldraftcountdown.com/sub/mockdraft.html

PurplePeopleEaters
11-17-2007, 03:54 PM
IMO DE should be our #1 priority in FA.. It should have been last year but this idiot coaching staff doesn't seem to understand that our lack of pass D stems from the lack of pass rush. There are some good ones in FA this year.. Isn't Julius Peppers in a contract year? Damn, that would make our DL the best in the NFL no doubt.

jessejames09
11-17-2007, 03:56 PM
Hopefully Jake Long to play LT then move McKinnie to the right.

billvike
11-17-2007, 07:43 PM
I am really hoping we take matt ryan with the 1st draft pick, ive seen his stats and get a new head coach built the team around matt and we could be force within and couple yrs hell ya!!

vikesfargo
11-17-2007, 08:56 PM
I'm going to look at NFL draft history since 1997. I want to know which teams had a top ten draft pick since 1997 that later went on to win a Super Bowl. I don't care about mere Super Bowl appearances. Then I want to know who they drafted and what position they played.

New England Patriots, NFL Draft 2001, #6 overall pick, Richard Seymour, DE

Indianapolis Colts, NFL Draft 1999, #4 overall pick, Edgerrin James, RB

Indianapolis Colts, NFL Draft 1998, #1 overall pick, Peyton Manning, QB

St. Louis Rams, NFL Draft 1999, #6 overall pick, Torry Holt, WR

St. Louis Rams, NFL Draft 1997, #1 overall pick, Orlando Pace, T

Baltimore Ravens, NFL Draft 2000, #5 overall pick, Jamal Lewis, LB

Baltimore Ravens, NFL Draft 2000, #10 overall pick, Travis Taylor, WR

Baltimore Ravens, NFL Draft 1999, #10 overall pick, Chris McAllister, DB

Baltimore Ravens, NFL Draft 1998, #10 overall pick, Duane Starks, CB

Baltimore Ravens, NFL Draft 1997, #4 overall pick, Peter Boulware, LB

Pittsburgh Steelers, NFL Draft 2000, #8 overall pick, Plaxico Burress, WR

Other notables include Dwight Freeney to the Colts in 2002 #11 overall, and Ben Rothlisberg to the Steelers in 2004, #11 overall.

This tells us that it doesn't matter so much what position they play, but what really matters is that your top ten draft pick be a big contributor for your team. Sometimes you might end up parting ways with a playmaker like Edgerrin James, but it is very important that while he is with your team, that he contributes.

I think the only positions that we should not consider drafting are LG (Hutchinson), DT (Kevin Williams), and RB (AD). Every other position on the team could be upgraded.

The front office did a good job in the last draft. We got AD, Sidney Rice, and Marcus McCauley. They should draft whoever is at the top of their board, available, and not a LG, DT, or RB.

Second, we should not give up on any of our top 10 draft picks unless they are a total bust. We need to stand by Troy Williamson, for example, and encourage him to meet the challenge.

ultravikingfan
11-17-2007, 09:04 PM
Let me give you the skinny on the draft:

It's a gamble

Pick best player available no matter what.
If the guy is a first round or fifth, its a gamble.

Big C
11-17-2007, 09:13 PM
I agree on the best player available approach.

I'll be the first to admit that I was so angry that we drafted Adrian Peterson instead of a WR with the 1st pick. We had a 1200 yard back and Memo as a backup and we drafted another RB?!!

Yeah, well we know how that turned out
;D.

So now I have complete confidence in our drafts under Childress. The only black mark has been the TJ fiasco, but we dealt with Foley on that. I honestly think we were targetting Clemens until the Jets moved ahead of us drafted him sending us in to panic mode and jumping the gun on TJ.

If I had to pick though, I would still go for best available WR, C, RT or RG.

vikesfargo
11-17-2007, 09:24 PM
One more thing, draft Michael Crabtree - WR - Texas Tech.

If he is available and we pass, I will probably have to buy a new television, because they don't fix bricks in the screen.

Zeus
11-18-2007, 07:45 AM
"NordicNed" wrote:

"jkjuggalo" wrote:

I'd be SHOCKED if both of them aren't on the Browns roster next season.

=Z=

vikesfargo
11-18-2007, 02:32 PM
I guess Michael Crabtree is a redshirt freshman, so we can't draft him yet.

marshallvike
11-18-2007, 05:19 PM
"Purplemania" wrote:

I would love Kenny Philips! Unfortunately, he's a top 10 pick so unless we suck to the extreme, we aren't getting him. Matt Ryans is also an excellent pick.

BTW stay away from Andre Woodson! He is not as good as people think!!!!!!!!!!

aren't we in the top 10 picks now?

crazyB
11-18-2007, 06:00 PM
FA should take care of most of the problems but we should be drafting to build up for when guy's like Birk are no longer around.
still think Tjack is good and just need's the help of a vet from FA.

MinnesotaFury
11-18-2007, 06:10 PM
I estimate us in between 10-15th pick.

I would say:

1st Round
Matt Ryan (QB, Boston College), He fits our offense perfectly.
It's not like the receivers over at BC can catch either...
Everyone talked about Adrian Peterson simply bringing playmaking ability to our offense-- It stands true for Ryan.
Kenny Phillips (FS, Miami), Dwight Smith is a medicore guy and probably will never amount to anything more.
Kenny Phillips basically eliminates all passing options over the middle of the field.
He's scary.

2nd Round
Erik Ainge (QB, Tennessee), I think he has the ability to be a great NFL quarterback.
He's tall, and makes great throws.
He's had a ton of experience as well as he has played pretty much every season since his freshman year.
Travis Beckum (TE, Wisconsin), He may or may not declare.
And he may or may not fall to the second round if he declares, but Beckum has sure hands and the speed of a receiver.
He's like a white Antonio Gates/Marques Colston hybrid.
(There isn't a difference in the two is your asking).
DeJaun Tribble (CB, Boston College), His knee injury may knock him down into the second round, but in my opinion, this guy is the best CB in the NCAA.
Gosder Cherilus (T, Boston College), Lately, his play has been poor.
He moved from RT to LT this season and hasn't been the same since.
He was once considered in the same tier as Michigan's Jake Long, but has kind of bumped himself down lately.
Possibly into the 2nd round.
We are a team who could get him and move him back to RT where he excels so much.
Jack Ikegwuonu (CB, Wisconsin), Probably my favorite candidate, but then again, I'm a Badger fan.
He is a true athlete and can pretty much shut down any receiver.
His game 2 weeks ago against Michigan, was when it became evident.
In the few plays the he wasn't covering Mario Manningham, Manningham totaled up 2 TD's and over 100 yds.
Ikegwuonu was immediately put back on him and ended up with a pick and almost no catches allowed.

Some other guys I wouldn't mind seeing on the second day in Purple:
Day 2 Picks
Owen Schmidt (FB, West Virginia), It doesn't take an idiot to figure out that a RB's success can be testimony to his blocking.
Schmidt blocks for Steve Slaton.
He is in my opinion the best FB in college football and he is projected to go in the later rounds (4,5,6).
Richardson isn't getting any younger and I don't feel great about Mai-Tai.
Craig Steltz (SS, LSU), Fearsome hitter.
Reminds me of John Lynch.
Smart player who should be around in the 3rd and 4th rounds.

litlharsh
11-18-2007, 06:38 PM
Kenny Phillips Kenny Phillips Kenny Phillips omfg Kenny Phillips

You'd need the toes and fingers of your entire neighborhood to count how man times our safeties have gotten beat this year.

Marrdro
11-18-2007, 07:12 PM
"MinnesotaFury" wrote:

I estimate us in between 10-15th pick.

I would say:

1st Round
Matt Ryan (QB, Boston College), He fits our offense perfectly.
It's not like the receivers over at BC can catch either...
Everyone talked about Adrian Peterson simply bringing playmaking ability to our offense-- It stands true for Ryan.
Kenny Phillips (FS, Miami), Dwight Smith is a medicore guy and probably will never amount to anything more.
Kenny Phillips basically eliminates all passing options over the middle of the field.
He's scary.

2nd Round
Erik Ainge (QB, Tennessee), I think he has the ability to be a great NFL quarterback.
He's tall, and makes great throws.
He's had a ton of experience as well as he has played pretty much every season since his freshman year.
Travis Beckum (TE, Wisconsin), He may or may not declare.
And he may or may not fall to the second round if he declares, but Beckum has sure hands and the speed of a receiver.
He's like a white Antonio Gates/Marques Colston hybrid.
(There isn't a difference in the two is your asking).
DeJaun Tribble (CB, Boston College), His knee injury may knock him down into the second round, but in my opinion, this guy is the best CB in the NCAA.
Gosder Cherilus (T, Boston College), Lately, his play has been poor.
He moved from RT to LT this season and hasn't been the same since.
He was once considered in the same tier as Michigan's Jake Long, but has kind of bumped himself down lately.
Possibly into the 2nd round.
We are a team who could get him and move him back to RT where he excels so much.
Jack Ikegwuonu (CB, Wisconsin), Probably my favorite candidate, but then again, I'm a Badger fan.
He is a true athlete and can pretty much shut down any receiver.
His game 2 weeks ago against Michigan, was when it became evident.
In the few plays the he wasn't covering Mario Manningham, Manningham totaled up 2 TD's and over 100 yds.
Ikegwuonu was immediately put back on him and ended up with a pick and almost no catches allowed.

Some other guys I wouldn't mind seeing on the second day in Purple:
Day 2 Picks
Owen Schmidt (FB, West Virginia), It doesn't take an idiot to figure out that a RB's success can be testimony to his blocking.
Schmidt blocks for Steve Slaton.
He is in my opinion the best FB in college football and he is projected to go in the later rounds (4,5,6).
Richardson isn't getting any younger and I don't feel great about Mai-Tai.
Craig Steltz (SS, LSU), Fearsome hitter.
Reminds me of John Lynch.
Smart player who should be around in the 3rd and 4th rounds.

Thanks my friend.
I just rat holed that into my draft hole.
Some very nice background on some college players.