PDA

View Full Version : You Build IT

soonerbornNbred
11-05-2007, 04:56 PM
Ok so the ground work has been done Good to great Lines both Offense and Defense
Now comes A once in a lifetime talent in AD

BUT There is a 5 year window here on ADs talent

Youve got 4 years total left, any years past that is cake

What do YOU do with the free agency off season and draft
to bring at least a nfc championship in the next two years

ultravikingfan
11-05-2007, 05:13 PM
http://sensorscity.marshall.edu/CITY/30June04/MVC-008S.JPG

ItalianStallion
11-05-2007, 05:16 PM
So as soon as AP is 27, he loses his talent?

Vikes_King
11-05-2007, 05:18 PM
"ItalianStallion" wrote:

yea, once he hits 27 he actually has to report to hell, because he clearly sold his soul to the devil with how much talent he has

BadlandsVikings
11-05-2007, 05:25 PM
"ultravikingfan" wrote:

http://sensorscity.marshall.edu/CITY/30June04/MVC-008S.JPG

AD is buitl from Legos?
Now I know why he is so good.

pack93z
11-05-2007, 05:25 PM
If you look at the averages.. the normal production is 5 to 7 peak years.. I think that is the notion used here..

With the style of running AP plays with.. I would look at Sims and Jackson's careers as guidelines.. All out all Day..

He has shown that he can "break" down in college, so if the goal is to win a superbowl with him.. probably prime time is the within 5 to 7...

With that said.. getting solid play out of the right side of the line, at QB, and TE will be important.. The Defense will lose a major force in Pat Williams sometime in the next couple of years.. plus an upgrade at safety won't hurt..

Being a Packer fan.. I hope you draft another DE that takes time to develop.
;D

BTW.. the time slot for the draft has been reduced... make sure you get the card in on time this year.
:P

Zeus
11-05-2007, 05:27 PM
"ItalianStallion" wrote:

No - but it's valid to point out that since the average career of an NFL RB is 5 years or so that it is best to maximize the talent around him while he's young.
Dickerson set the NFL season rushing record in his 2nd season.
He played 11, but the last 4 were unproductive (no more than 4 TDs or 729 yards).

http://www.nfl.com/players/ericdickerson/profile?id=DIC276860

Too early to draw comparisons as to talent and such, but projecting over the long-term, the answer is probably to think that the Vikings need to fill out the talent no later than 2009 to maximize on his productive years.

=Z=

marstc09
11-05-2007, 05:28 PM
"pack93z" wrote:

If you look at the averages.. the normal production is 5 to 7 peak years.. I think that is the notion used here..

With the style of running AP plays with.. I would look at Sims and Jackson's careers as guidelines.. All out all Day..

He has shown that he can "break" down in college, so if the goal is to win a superbowl with him.. probably prime time is the within 5 to 7...

With that said.. getting solid play out of the right side of the line, at QB, and TE will be important.. The Defense will lose a major force in Pat Williams sometime in the next couple of years.. plus an upgrade at safety won't hurt..

;D

BTW.. the time slot for the draft has been reduced... make sure you get the card in on time this year.

They rebuilt him this offseason. His bones are all steel. He will play longer than Farve now.

pack93z
11-05-2007, 05:39 PM
"marstc09" wrote:

They rebuilt him this offseason. His bones are all steel. He will play longer than Farve now.

I will take bets in any amount that AP's effective career is no longer than 8 years.. he may play longer but not at the same level..

Check the stats on NFL running backs.. especially ones that were used alot in college.. there is validity to the thinking next 5 to 7 years.

Schutz
11-05-2007, 05:53 PM
Running backs tend to SLOW down when they hit about 29-30 but still have 2 or 3 productive years left usually.
I can see AP being a starter for 9-10 years barring injuries and what not.
I mean look at Berry Sanders, he was still going strong and IMHO retired a couple years before he should have.
Running backs are different from back to back.
But lets say he starts for only 6 more years, if we can't build a Super Bowl team up around him in 6 years I'm convinced the Vikes will just never win one anyways.

Vikes
11-05-2007, 06:14 PM
Build a team around him and let it rip.

marstc09
11-05-2007, 07:33 PM
"pack93z" wrote:

"marstc09" wrote:

I will take bets in any amount that AP's effective career is no longer than 8 years.. he may play longer but not at the same level..

Check the stats on NFL running backs.. especially ones that were used alot in college.. there is validity to the thinking next 5 to 7 years.

Purple Jesus does not care about stats! He is not human.

pack93z
11-05-2007, 07:39 PM
"marstc09" wrote:

Yep and Bo Jackson was superman in Tecmo Bowl.. on the field he last only a few years..

May AP run for many many years..

NordicNed
"pack93z" wrote:

;D

Don't worrie, we will be on time.
You guys should start evaluating your Punter pick right about now..... ;D

NordicNed
"marstc09" wrote:

"pack93z" wrote:

"marstc09" wrote:

Who are you talking about?

AD ?

:D

marstc09
11-05-2007, 07:42 PM
"NordicNed" wrote:

"marstc09" wrote:

"pack93z" wrote:

"marstc09" wrote:

Who are you talking about?

AD ?

:D

You are in need of a sermon my friend.

marstc09
11-05-2007, 07:43 PM
"pack93z" wrote:

"marstc09" wrote:

Yep and Bo Jackson was superman in Tecmo Bowl.. on the field he last only a few years..

Video games are overrated.

pack93z
11-05-2007, 07:44 PM
"NordicNed" wrote:

Don't worrie, we will be on time.
You guys should start evaluating your Punter pick right about now..... ;D

Touché... in the end it probably was for the better you missed the time slot.

jessejames09
11-05-2007, 07:53 PM
"marstc09" wrote:

"pack93z" wrote:

"marstc09" wrote:

Video games are overrated.

psssh you're just saying that to get props from marrdro

hx38596
11-06-2007, 12:14 AM
"pack93z" wrote:

"marstc09" wrote:

"Overused in college"?

He had one full freshman year, 339 carries
Soph year missed 4 games, 220 carries
Junior year missed 7 games, 188 carries
Senior year missed all games - with Vikings

So overall 25 games played in college.
I can't find a top NFL back with less college time.

Mr Anderson
11-06-2007, 12:35 AM
"pack93z" wrote:

"marstc09" wrote:

He broke his hip, that's a freak injury right there, you can't judge durability by something like that. It's like saying Kevin Everett's career is over because he "broke down."

Peterson broke his collarbone last year, I believe I once read that it only takes 7 pounds of pressure at the right angle to break your collarbone. That injury IMO, holds nothing to his durability.

His other college injury was an ankle, which is completely healed now, and was clearly completely healed at the start of his junior year when he put up huge numbers.

I am no more concerned with his health than I would be with any other back.

I'm still sticking with 2009 as a big year for us, depending on how we draft, and what the coaching situation turns into.

But if Zygi gives me the reins, we'll be fine.

MNgriff
11-06-2007, 12:41 AM
"hx38596" wrote:

"pack93z" wrote:

"marstc09" wrote:

"Overused in college"?

He had one full freshman year, 339 carries
Soph year missed 4 games, 220 carries
Junior year missed 7 games, 188 carries
Senior year - with Vikings

So overall 25 games played in college.
I can't find a top NFL back with less college time.

Great point there. The good thing out of all that is he didn't get hindered by the injuries that limited his time. I hope he lasts but the topic raises a good point about how we decide to best built around him. I think this team is real close to blowing up but there are the obvious weaknesses at QB and WR.
I just hope the organization can be tactful in the free agent market and the team will tear it up.

thevikingfan
11-06-2007, 01:28 AM
The official life span of an nfl running back is 3 1/2 years im hoping ap will be around at least 10

Schutz
11-06-2007, 01:43 AM
Emmit Smith ran for 1000 11 times, and over 1300 7 times, that's not quite a short spans
L.T. has ran for 1000 in every of his 6 seasons and will this year too, and has never ran under 1200 yards
Edge has ran for 1000 6 times and is on pace for 1200 this year, and had two injured seasons early
Barry Sanders never ran for over 1300 yards all but one of his 10 years in which he ran for 1100
Big ole Jerome Bettis ran for 1000 in 8 seasons.
Tiki Barber turned into a stud late in his nfl life with 5 straight huge seasons ending at age 31 with 1600 yds

I could go on and on, this so called "Time Frame" means nothing, Running Backs are different, there was probably people saying Barry Sanders was going to burn out in his time.
Now i'm not going to say Pederson is Barry Sanders, but come on.

STOP THE MADNESS, just drop this RB life bull.

soonerbornNbred
11-07-2007, 01:27 AM
I started this thread to see how different posters would build this team, not about RB lifespans i see how it got turned into that...Now hopefully for something completely different

I just think theres a chance right now in the near future to be bigtime

All of you have been around the VIKES longer than I have, you know more about the TEAM

Whats already there great RBs great Oline & Dlines the punter and kicker looks good although I think the special team coach is lost

from what I see Pick up a Freeagent QB that can help in 2008-2010...draft with 1 or 2 a WR QB or even a def cover guy for the next 2 years

I would say get a better coach but I think his job is safe

What would you do?

HornedHat
11-07-2007, 02:07 AM
We need a QB and a RT. We can probably draft a RT in the first few rounds; but, QB is the alchemist's gold. I, personally, am losing faith in T-Jack (yeah, he COULD develope, but I'm not seeing it). That means we should draft another QB early, and this is supposed to be a good year for QBs. A rookie would still need time to grow, so we gotta get a veteran, if we want to compete soon. McNabb appears to be the only one that might be available that could work out. I question McNabb's championship qualities ( after watching him puke his soup); but, who else? McNabb may work out well, with a solid running game. He has never had a PURE RB. Westbrook is great, but he's mostly a guy that works in the flat. Westbrook doesn't carry the Rock 30 times a game. If McNabb was working with AD, and didn't have to be the prolific passer guy, I think he could be a good fit. Enough so, that I want to get him, barring any sudden developments which were to make Manning available.

HornedHat
11-07-2007, 02:14 AM
I forgot to address WRs. We gotta draft more, and sign more. Rice appears to be a keeper. It's difficult to judge the rest due to the bad QB play we're getting; but, at least Rice is good. Allison may work, even Ferguson, but we need to get another WR.

Schutz
11-07-2007, 02:37 AM
We NEED a Vet QB who can start every game for at least 2 years, preferably 3 or 4.
We can look at young QBs in the draft and what not over the next 1 or 2 and find the one person we want and he can ride the bench for a couple years without having to be thrown in the fire.
We also need a stud RT who is a great pass block (run blocking would be good too but pass is imparitive.) we can have one TE helping Mckinnie with pass who is a stud when we want to run, and still be able to have WR sets we want.
We also need one Vet Receiver who doesn't necessarily have to be an great player, but we need at least a mid level talent with a great veteran presence.
I think addressing these holes will make us a 10 win team.
On the D if we can get a DE who can consistently rush the passer and one more OLB who is good in coverage and can bring the blitz I think we could in a couple years be a 12 win team in the NFC if we can put this all together.

singersp
11-07-2007, 05:13 AM
"Mr" wrote:

"pack93z" wrote:

He broke his hip, that's a freak injury right there, you can't judge durability by something like that. It's like saying Kevin Everett's career is over because he "broke down."

Peterson broke his collarbone last year, I believe I once read that it only takes 7 pounds of pressure at the right angle to break your collarbone. That injury IMO, holds nothing to his durability.

His other college injury was an ankle, which is completely healed now, and was clearly completely healed at the start of his junior year when he put up huge numbers.

I am no more concerned with his health than I would be with any other back.

I'm still sticking with 2009 as a big year for us, depending on how we draft, and what the coaching situation turns into.

But if Zygi gives me the reins, we'll be fine.

If Zygi gave you the reins, you'd trade half the team/draft picks just to get Moss back here.