PDA

View Full Version : Charger game player updates

DarrinNelsonguy
10-31-2007, 11:25 PM
According to the Mpls Star Tibune Jackson will start at QB and Wade will not play.

http://www.startribune.com/vikings/story/1521268.html

baumy300
10-31-2007, 11:28 PM
So what you're saying is that we might actually see someone in purple return a punt?

DarrinNelsonguy
10-31-2007, 11:29 PM
"baumy300" wrote:

So what you're saying is that we might actually see someone in purple return a punt?

I sure hope we see Mewelde back there this week!

baumy300
10-31-2007, 11:31 PM
"DarrinNelsonguy" wrote:

"baumy300" wrote:

I sure hope we see Mwelde back there this week!

No kidding! I've been asking everyone why he hasn't been back there already. I still can't figure it out.

DarrinNelsonguy
10-31-2007, 11:33 PM
"baumy300" wrote:

"DarrinNelsonguy" wrote:

"baumy300" wrote:

No kidding! I've been asking everyone why he hasn't been back there already. I still can't figure it out.

The sad thing is we will probably let him leave as a FA and get nothing for him this offseason.

BabaGanJa
10-31-2007, 11:33 PM
I gotta think with Holcomb's neck injury and Jackson's finger, compounded with the number of sacks we are giving up, we should seriously be thinking about getting a quarterback and fast!
Does Pennington make sense to any of you?
Or do you have any better immediate fixes while Jackson (maybe ) continues to grow?
Obviously, if the desperation continues into the offseason there are more choices in the hat....

DarrinNelsonguy
10-31-2007, 11:36 PM
"BabaGanJa" wrote:

I gotta think with Holcomb's neck injury and Jackson's finger, compounded with the number of sacks we are giving up, we should seriously be thinking about getting a quarterback and fast!
Does Pennington make sense to any of you?
Or do you have any better immediate fixes while Jackson (maybe ) continues to grow?
Obviously, if the desperation continues into the offseason there are more choices in the hat....

Pennington has a weaker arm than Johnson last year so I would want nothing to do with him. Really there is not much for QB options out there right now unless you want an Aaron Brooks type.

jkjuggalo
10-31-2007, 11:41 PM
We could only get Pennington if they waived him since the trade deadline is over.
Personally I like the idea of getting Pennington in the offseason.
I think he may sign for less money coming to a team where he knows he has a good shot of competing for the starting job.
I think the WCO is made for QB's like Pennington who are smart and can read defenses, leading to quick decisions.
His arm is not as bad a people have said either.
If we do not draft a QB high, this would be my second choice for offseason QB acquisition.
Even though I like what Anderson from the Browns is doing, I don't think he'd pick up the KAO as fast as Pennington.
I'm not putting the fork in TJ yet either, I'm just saying this is a better insurance policy than Holcomb, BB, or random rookie QB.

Frostbite
11-01-2007, 12:38 AM
I'm a little concerned about this broken finger issue with T.Jack. I seem to remember a thumb injury on a guy named Farve with Doctors and Coaches saying he's fine to come back and play. Then when he did he was having a lot of issues with throws....handoffs....etc.

I know the Charges are going to be a tuff matchup and very physical. It would be a real shame to have T.Jack re-injure the finger or have worse damaged caused by coming back to soon, and how's his play going to be?? To me that's the top question. It wasn't that great healthy....now with a finger that will not be 100 percent who knows??

Brooks Bollinger played well enough to start this week. I would have kept T.Jack in reserve and started Bollinger.

JMO.

Cheers!

tgorsegner
11-01-2007, 12:48 AM
"Frostbite" wrote:

I'm a little concerned about this broken finger issue with T.Jack. I seem to remember a thumb injury on a guy named Farve with Doctors and Coaches saying he's fine to come back and play. Then when he did he was having a lot of issues with throws....handoffs....etc.

I know the Charges are going to be a tuff matchup and very physical. It would be a real shame to have T.Jack re-injure the finger or have worse damaged caused by coming back to soon, and how's his play going to be?? To me that's the top question. It wasn't that great healthy....now with a finger that will not be 100 percent who knows??

Brooks Bollinger played well enough to start this week. I would have kept T.Jack in reserve and started Bollinger.

JMO.

Cheers!

you pretty much said it all.

bet we see bb before the end of the game? i think its gonna happen.

DustinDupont
11-01-2007, 01:04 AM
"tgorsegner" wrote:

"Frostbite" wrote:

JMO.

Cheers!

yeah its gonna be a tough challenge for tjack, but a think inurying a thumb is way worse than a index finger
so i think he will be fine and plus he is 1-0 at home ;D

Frostbite
11-01-2007, 01:13 AM
"tgorsegner" wrote:

"Frostbite" wrote:

JMO.

Cheers!

Thanks tgorsegner.....Maybe T.Jack will prove us both wrong??? I just have a bad feeling about this whole scenario.

Cheers!

Frostbite
11-01-2007, 01:30 AM
"DustinDupont" wrote:

"tgorsegner" wrote:

"Frostbite" wrote:

JMO.

Cheers!

yeah its gonna be a tough challenge for tjack, but a think inurying a thumb is way worse than a index finger

Nope....Sorry to disagree with you here but the two most important fingers are the Thumb and the Index Finger on your throwing hand.....Possibly the middle finger if you get re-injured by starting to soon and desire to flip off the Coaches and Doctors that allowed it!

When you grip a Football both of these fingers do most of the grip and the Index finger helps guide the throw on release. If he can't feel it from cortizone or if it's in pain it will most likely have an effect on accuracy and delivery of the throw.

Did he practice well this week?? Did he take snaps? which could also be an issue here. I will assume he did and was evaluated day to day. Game situation may present some difficulties not seen in Practice??

I guess we will see??? I hope T.Jack has a great game and proves me wrong!

Cheers!

Marrdro
11-01-2007, 01:23 PM
"baumy300" wrote:

"DarrinNelsonguy" wrote:

"baumy300" wrote:

I thought it was your post that I gave a explanation to with regard to Memo not on the active roster which equates to no returns.

My assesment was/is that with both CT and AD on the roster and the need to iron out WR and DL issues the staff was using the extra spot normally held for a RB for those positions.

Additionaly, I think a couple of times he could have been activate, he wasn't cause the staff didn't want to risk a injury while they were actively shopping him.

Anyway, I thought we would see him last week but alas.
B-wade was still there.

tb04512
11-01-2007, 01:42 PM
"Frostbite" wrote:

"DustinDupont" wrote:

"tgorsegner" wrote:

"Frostbite" wrote:

JMO.

Cheers!

Nope....Sorry to disagree with you here but the two most important fingers are the Thumb and the Index Finger on your throwing hand.....Possibly the middle finger if you get re-injured by starting to soon and desire to flip off the Coaches and Doctors that allowed it!

When you grip a Football both of these fingers do most of the grip and the Index finger helps guide the throw on release. If he can't feel it from cortizone or if it's in pain it will most likely have an effect on accuracy and delivery of the throw.

Did he practice well this week?? Did he take snaps? which could also be an issue here. I will assume he did and was evaluated day to day. Game situation may present some difficulties not seen in Practice??

Cheers!

on the radio childress has said he has shown great improvement and is taking the majority of the snaps... GOOOO TJACK

Overlord
11-01-2007, 01:48 PM
"Frostbite" wrote:

"DustinDupont" wrote:

"tgorsegner" wrote:

"Frostbite" wrote:

JMO.

Cheers!

Cheers!

The mechanics you talked about were correct, but I hope you're wrong about the index finger being as important as the thumb.
If they're the two most important fingers, the thumb can still be more important, right?

I just remember Rich Gannon's career getting derailed for years because of a thumb injury.
He had been playing very well, got hurt, and couldn't get back to his previous level of play.
I'm not talking about missng games, I'm talking about how well he could throw the ball when he got back.
That sent him packing to KC, and eventually to Oakland.
Meanwhile, the immortal (in the evil undead sense, not the talented sense) Sean Salisbury got the go ahead here.

I don't think Tarvaris can handle any sort of lingering injury right now.
If he loses whatever control he had on his throws both him and this team will be in a lot of trouble.

Frostbite
11-01-2007, 03:51 PM
I Totally Agree Overlord....and you are correct to also point out that the thumb is more important in the overall mechanics than the Index finger. I had to go back and re-read some of this before I could see what you ment fully.

Cheers!

seaniemck7
11-01-2007, 06:17 PM
The thumb is most important when gripping and throwing the football because its the only digit on that side of the ball.
However, when a football is properly thrown (kinda like a screwball in baseball) your index finger should be the last digit touching the ball.
Not being able to use his normal grip will certainly affect his accuracy.

singersp
11-02-2007, 08:02 AM
Winfield doubtful for Chargers with sore hamstring (http://www.twincities.com/vikings/ci_7345975)

BY SEAN JENSEN
Pioneer Press
Article Last Updated: 11/02/2007 12:45:52 AM CDT

As he talked Thursday about the disappointing play of his secondary, Vikings defensive coordinator Leslie Frazier mentioned how much worse off it would have been without a key player........

singersp
11-02-2007, 08:43 AM
"singersp" wrote:

Winfield doubtful for Chargers with sore hamstring (http://www.twincities.com/vikings/ci_7345975)

This is not good. We need Winfield in there if we want any chance of winning.

Suick
11-02-2007, 12:04 PM
The 32nd Ranked Pass Defense needs alot, and Winfield may not be it.

singersp
11-03-2007, 10:08 AM
Vikings: Winfield decision to come Sunday (http://www.startribune.com/vikings/story/1526081.html)

By Judd Zulgad and Kevin Seifert
Star Tribune staff writers

Last update: November 02, 2007 – 9:48 PM

Vikings cornerback Antoine Winfield sat out a second consecutive day of practice Friday because of a strained hamstring and is listed as questionable for Sunday's game vs. San Diego...

singersp
11-03-2007, 10:10 AM
Minnesota Vikings report: Status of Bobby Wade, Antoine Winfield questionable (http://www.twincities.com/vikings/ci_7357216)

CB, receiver will be game-time decisions

BY DON SEEHOLZER
Pioneer Press
Article Last Updated: 11/03/2007 12:09:31 AM CDT

As if the Vikings don't have enough problems, they could be without their leading receiver and top defensive back for Sunday's game against the San Diego Chargers.....

singersp
11-03-2007, 10:25 AM
Friday injury report (http://www.startribune.com/blogs/vikings/?p=1098)

November 2nd, 2007 – 3:56 PM
by Judd Zulgad
startribune.com

Here it is for both the Vikings and the Chargers.........

singersp
11-03-2007, 10:27 AM
Winfield, Wade, Williamson all questionable (http://www.startribune.com/blogs/vikings/?p=1097)

November 2nd, 2007 – 2:17 PM
by Kevin Seifert
startribune.com

The Vikings could be without three starters in Sunday’s game against San Diego. CB Antoine Winfield (hamstring), WR Bobby Wade (knee) and WR Troy Williamson (funeral) will all be listed as questionable on today’s injury report, coach Brad Childress said.....

stateVIKE44
11-03-2007, 10:38 AM
"tb04512" wrote:

"Frostbite" wrote:

"DustinDupont" wrote:

"tgorsegner" wrote:

"Frostbite" wrote:

JMO.

Cheers!

Cheers!

on the radio childress has said he has shown great improvement and is taking the majority of the snaps... GOOOO TJACK

I wonder if this will actually help T-Jack? He is known for throwing "rockets" on those short slant routes, and often times the receivers haven't been ready for the ball. When Holcomb was in there, there were far less drops. Perhaps this injury will take a little bit of fire off of his ball and give the receivers a little more chance at making a play (but they have to make it!!). I guess we will see tomorrow...

singersp
11-03-2007, 10:44 AM
"stateVIKE44" wrote:

"tb04512" wrote:

"Frostbite" wrote:

"DustinDupont" wrote:

"tgorsegner" wrote:

JMO.

Cheers!

Cheers!

I wonder if this will actually help T-Jack? He is known for throwing "rockets" on those short slant routes, and often times the receivers haven't been ready for the ball. When Holcomb was in there, there were far less drops. Perhaps this injury will take a little bit of fire off of his ball and give the receivers a little more chance at making a play (but they have to make it!!). I guess we will see tomorrow...

The receivers need to understand who is at QB & be able to catch those "rockets" when T-Jack is in there.

Favre had a lot of success thrown rockets for years & his receivers learned to catch them.

But I imagine it might be a little harder for the Vikings receivers, since there has been no solid consistancy at whose been starting at QB this year.

stateVIKE44
11-03-2007, 10:49 AM
"singersp" wrote:

"stateVIKE44" wrote:

"tb04512" wrote:

"Frostbite" wrote:

"DustinDupont" wrote:

JMO.

Cheers!

Cheers!

The receivers need to understand who is at QB & be able to catch those "rockets" when T-Jack is in there.

Favre had a lot of success thrown rockets for years & his receivers learned to catch them.

But I imagine it might be a little harder for the Vikings receivers, since there has been no solid consistancy at whose been starting at QB this year.

I completely agree that the wide receivers need to make those plays regardless, but since they have failed in that aspect...I guess i should have said maybe this injury will help our receivers, not T-Jack as much.

skum
11-04-2007, 11:46 AM
Winfield inactive
Vikings CB Antoine Winfield is inactive today, and he will be replaced in the lineup by rookie Marcus McCauley.

http://vikingsnow.blogspot.com/

happy camper
11-04-2007, 12:23 PM
I feel like Winfield is one player the Vikings absolutely cannot afford to go without during a game.

Crap.
:-

El Vikingo
11-04-2007, 12:35 PM
Great news,holy crap!!!!
Expect an aerial assault gents.....

PurplePowerPunch
11-04-2007, 12:35 PM
No Winfield today, this sucks. McCauley has to really step up today. :o

DaVizzles
11-04-2007, 12:37 PM
"happy" wrote:

I feel like Winfield is one player the Vikings absolutely cannot afford to go without during a game.

Crap.
:-\

That would be Adrian Peterson....He is our only offense.

Our pass defense is horrible with Winfield playing it cant be much worse without him.

gregair13
11-04-2007, 12:45 PM
no winfield sucks badly. LT might be able to get outside and run