PDA

View Full Version : Childress Press Conference - 10/29/2007



singersp
10-30-2007, 07:35 AM
Childress Press Conference (http://www.vikings.com/NewsArticle_childresspc102907.aspx)

10/29/2007

www.vikings.com


Head Coach Brad Childress........

Prophet
10-30-2007, 09:38 AM
Q: What is the overall mindset right now at 2-5? How do you keep going?

A: You keep these guys alive just because you see those glimmers. If you can play the way you played with the first kickoff, the first defensive series, even though we had a defensive (pass interference), the first offensive series, there is no reason you can’t prolong that through the football game. Obviously some of those things are self-inflicted. Some of them are not making a play when a play is available to you, whether it be on offense or defense. System-wise you show that to those guys. You know what, you have to press on and compete. These are tough times. Nobody likes it but there are opportunities that are there. Once again I need to make sure that I’m continuing to explore all of the opportunities to give our guys a chance to use their skills.

There is the crowd that thinks Childress is not trying to adapt to the players abilities by adapting his strategy.
Childress says, "I'm continuing to explore all of the opportunties to give our guys a chance to use their skills." The question of the masses seems to boil down to is Childress in over his head?
I could name the fans that think he is and have yet to see a convincing argument proving it.
I have also yet to see a convincing argument to prove that he is not in over his head.
The only thing that will sort this out is time.
I feel confident that by the end of this season it will be much more obvious whether Childress' team will show signs of improvement.

What I often wonder is how many of the 'offense is king' crowd would be whining and complaining if the Vikings had the same record and were losing after scoring 30+ pts.
I don't know.
I do know that for anyone to have a semblance of credibility in any of their arguments they need to present the pros and cons and then present their argument with information that is not pulled out of their sphincter.
That goes for any topic, not just the Vikings.
I'm thankful that some folks on this site at least try to do that.

Marrdro
10-30-2007, 09:42 AM
"Prophet" wrote:



Q: What is the overall mindset right now at 2-5? How do you keep going?

A: You keep these guys alive just because you see those glimmers. If you can play the way you played with the first kickoff, the first defensive series, even though we had a defensive (pass interference), the first offensive series, there is no reason you can’t prolong that through the football game. Obviously some of those things are self-inflicted. Some of them are not making a play when a play is available to you, whether it be on offense or defense. System-wise you show that to those guys. You know what, you have to press on and compete. These are tough times. Nobody likes it but there are opportunities that are there. Once again I need to make sure that I’m continuing to explore all of the opportunities to give our guys a chance to use their skills.

There is the crowd that thinks Childress is not trying to adapt to the players abilities by adapting his strategy.
Childress says, "I'm continuing to explore all of the opportunties to give our guys a chance to use their skills." The question of the masses seems to boil down to is Childress in over his head?
I could name the fans that think he is and have yet to see a convincing argument proving it.
I have also yet to see a convincing argument to prove that he is not in over his head.
The only thing that will sort this out is time.
I feel confident that by the end of this season it will be much more obvious whether Childress' team will show signs of improvement.

What I often wonder is how many of the 'offense is king' crowd would be whining and complaining if the Vikings had the same record and were losing after scoring 30+ pts.
I don't know.
I do know that for anyone to have a semblance of credibility in any of their arguments they need to present the pros and cons and then present their argument with information that is not pulled out of their sphincter.
That goes for any topic, not just the Vikings.
I'm thankful that some folks on this site at least try to do that.


You know, sometimes you come up with some very insightfull crap my friend.
Nice post.


So let me get this straight.
I just need to throw in some Cons with all my Pros and I will convince you?
;D

Marrdro
10-30-2007, 09:54 AM
Q: Do you have an emergency list of quarterbacks if Jackson and Holcomb can’t go? I can’t imagine you would want to go into the game with only one healthy quarterback.

A:
No, Rick (Spielman) has got an emergency list of quarterbacks that we can go through. We’ve got an emergency list on our team, but that’s just what they are, emergency quarterbacks. I’m pretty sure we can get a couple healthy somewhere along the line here within the building

WHAT
:o
Little Hitler doesn't have the list.
Play that back again please.


A:
No, Rick (Spielman) has got an emergency list of quarterbacks that we can go through.

What the hell
:o.
How can that be.
The Chiller isn't in charge of the list?
WTF?

Prophet
10-30-2007, 10:02 AM
"Marrdro" wrote:


...
So let me get this straight.
I just need to throw in some Cons with all my Pros and I will convince you?
;D


lmao, no.
I want to see more games, I find it difficult to be totally pro or totally against a coach when it appears to me that much of the problem is in execution and a few key positions.
To see how they do the rest of the year while being in this quagmire will help me formulate my opinion.
I was laughing yesterday when someone posted that your optimism was destroying your marriage though, that was some funny shit.

Marrdro
10-30-2007, 10:05 AM
"Prophet" wrote:


"Marrdro" wrote:


...
So let me get this straight.
I just need to throw in some Cons with all my Pros and I will convince you?
;D


lmao, no.
I want to see more games, I find it difficult to be totally pro or totally against a coach when it appears to me that much of the problem is in execution and a few key positions.
To see how they do the rest of the year while being in this quagmire will help me formulate my opinion.
I was laughing yesterday when someone posted that your optimism was destroying your marriage though, that was some funny pooh.


That was funny.
I don't think he was serious.
;D

I've done much worse in life that she would/should have shit canned me for and she is still with me.
Again, a blessing.
;D

soonerbornNbred
10-30-2007, 06:07 PM
you two need to get a room...Not condemning either one of you but challenging both of you to step back for 48-72 hours and not defend the coach...post about absolutely everything else about the vikings...just for 72 hours dont post rebuttals or attacks or anything defending the coach....almost like AA

























4 ur own health challenge?

Purple Floyd
10-30-2007, 06:25 PM
There is little doubt that Childress (Bevell) is trying to make adjustments with the players. They have gone to tighter formations, brought in extra blockers, rotated QB's, linemen and I even hear he switched his lucky ducky underwear. But as Yoda once said: "Do or do not, there is no try"

The one thing that I have to wonder though, if if there are all of these problems in the offense, shouldn't that have been apparent last season, in the offseason and the preseason? Was it wise to play TJ for a series or two in the preseason and then sit him when he needed so much more experience to be at a competitive level?

I think it is safe to say the rest of the season will be more of the same we have seen so far. The question is, what will the organization as a whole do to turn the ship around and head in the right direction. It will take different players at many positions, some changes in some coaching positions, and some direction from the top.None of that will happen this year.

Prophet
10-30-2007, 06:26 PM
"soonerbornNbred" wrote:


you two need to get a room...Not condemning either one of you but challenging both of you to step back for 48-72 hours and not defend the coach...post about absolutely everything else about the vikings...just for 72 hours dont post rebuttals or attacks or anything defending the coach....almost like AA
challenge?


Perhaps reading comprehension isn't your strong point.
I suggest finding a single post of mine, ever, that is simply defending the coach.
You can start with this thread.
I choose to call out people that make unsupported statements and treat them as fact.
That, I am guilty of.

soonerbornNbred
10-30-2007, 06:31 PM
I agree with you 100% as will my wife ; I dont comprehend for crap...That said will you accept the challenge set before you?

Prophet
10-30-2007, 06:38 PM
"soonerbornNbred" wrote:


I agree with you 100% as will my wife ; I dont comprehend for crap...That said will you accept the challenge set before you?


I will always go after any post that is presented as fact when it is, in fact, pulled out of someone's ass.
That is a promise.
The challenge makes no sense or I would do it.
The premise of the challenge is that I only defend Childress, which is false.
I am negative-neutral toward Childress.
I'll accept the challenge for 24 hrs though (because I won't be online) :).

soonerbornNbred
10-30-2007, 06:48 PM
one day at a time

soonerbornNbred
10-30-2007, 06:50 PM
Keep coming back, it works if you work it.

No matter where I go, there I am.
Resentment is a poison I post to kill the other person.
Pain is in the resistance.
Do I want to be happy or be right?
I only have to change one thing - EVERYTHING!
You are 3 people:
Who you think you are.
Who other people think you are.
Who you really are.
Sit down, shut up and listen.

First Things First

If I don't change, my sobriety date will!
What step(post) are you on?

cajunvike
10-30-2007, 07:12 PM
"soonerbornNbred" wrote:


you two need to get a room...Not condemning either one of you but challenging both of you to step back for 48-72 hours and not defend the coach...post about absolutely everything else about the vikings...just for 72 hours dont post rebuttals or attacks or anything defending the coach....almost like AA
challenge?


Will the side that is ATTACKING the coach take the same 48-72 hour break as well?
Or is it "open season" on Childress until Prophet and Marrdro get out of the "penalty box", so to speak?

soonerbornNbred
10-30-2007, 08:08 PM
No penalty just a calming relaxing rest from the defense,
just, let it go, let it go
It might end up being too big of a challenge, but with support
and one hour,one day at a time
it can be done

Marrdro
10-31-2007, 09:37 AM
"soonerbornNbred" wrote:


you two need to get a room...Not condemning either one of you but challenging both of you to step back for 48-72 hours and not defend the coach...post about absolutely everything else about the vikings...just for 72 hours dont post rebuttals or attacks or anything defending the coach....almost like AA

























4 ur own health challenge?

Step back and read my posts my friend.
I support everyone on the team, not just the Chiller, no matter what they do.

I have had one exception to that this year and I have pinged on the OL coach (OL as a whole) this year.

Now back to your point, post nothing but support for the team for 72 hours........
Take a chance, its fun to be supportive.
;D

Marrdro
10-31-2007, 09:49 AM
"soonerbornNbred" wrote:


I agree with you 100% as will my wife ; I dont comprehend for crap...That said will you accept the challenge set before you?

Only if you give me a rationale answer to my first or second questons.

How do you explain the comment I highlighted?
My assumption is that it was a big eye opener for alot of the posters on here who refuse to believe that the HC just doesn't have the power that they believe he has.
Most of thier opinions are based on the fact that they loved ole Meat Heads antics and don't like the Chiller, well cause he is the Chiller.


Limited personality, very blase, doesn't give crap out just to hear himself talk, etc etc etc.

Secondly, you must post nothing but positive/support type articles for the Chiller.
I will post negative stuff.
We will see who wins that battle my friend.
;D

Marrdro
10-31-2007, 09:52 AM
"cajunvike" wrote:


"soonerbornNbred" wrote:


you two need to get a room...Not condemning either one of you but challenging both of you to step back for 48-72 hours and not defend the coach...post about absolutely everything else about the vikings...just for 72 hours dont post rebuttals or attacks or anything defending the coach....almost like AA
challenge?


Will the side that is ATTACKING the coach take the same 48-72 hour break as well?
Or is it "open season" on Childress until Prophet and Marrdro get out of the "penalty box", so to speak?

I'm serious.
I will post nothing but negative stuff for 48-72 hours if you can get at least 5 negative Nancies to try to post nothing but positive stuff about the team (and not just the Chiller).

I think it would be a worthwhile effort.
It might just open thier eyes a bit if they have to try to see the good instead of just blasting out the negative all the time.

I can think of a few I would love to see nominated.......
;D

ItalianStallion
10-31-2007, 09:55 AM
All I know is Childress is one of the few new head coaches from 2 years ago that has yet to experience any success while inheriting arguably the best team.
McCarthy, Marinelli, Payton and Mangini have all either made the playoffs or have shown signs of turning things around in their tenure.
Hell even Tomlin is doing better....I maintain we should have kept Tomlin and kicked Childress to the curb once we found of Tomlin might be leaving to be a HC.

soonerbornNbred
10-31-2007, 10:18 AM
Marrdro if youll read the post
the challenge was just to step back for 48 hours and not defend or rebutte anything involving the coach...the challenge as posted earlier may be too much... Breath....
Im not attacking you just challenging you,
for your own well being

Marrdro
10-31-2007, 12:56 PM
"soonerbornNbred" wrote:


Marrdro if youll read the post
the challenge was just to step back for 48 hours and not defend or rebutte anything involving the coach...the challenge as posted earlier may be too much... Breath....
Im not attacking you just challenging you,
for your own well being

Not attacking you either, but I can/did read it.

I am just making it more interesting.

Let me put on the bad hat for a while against 5 of you that put on the good hat.

Might be a good thing if a few of you looked at it from the other side (Honestly) once.

BBQ Platypus
10-31-2007, 03:45 PM
Damn.
He didn't mention that the Eagles are who we thought they were.

(having made a tired, hackneyed reference to something that happened last year, BBQ retires from this thread, his work complete)

Marrdro
10-31-2007, 06:09 PM
"BBQ" wrote:


gol 'darnit.
He didn't mention that the Eagles are who we thought they were.

(having made a tired, hackneyed reference to something that happened last year, BBQ retires from this thread, his work complete)

;D
;D
;D
;D