PDA

View Full Version : Who should start at QB against the Chargers? Jackson back on track to start

singersp
10-30-2007, 07:01 AM
Who do you think should start at QB against the Chargers this Sunday?

Who do you think they'll bring in & sign to replace the injured Holcomb?

singersp
10-30-2007, 07:05 AM
Vikings: Starting QB still remains a mystery (http://www.startribune.com/vikings/story/1516473.html)

For now, Bollinger is the Vikings' only healthy option, if Jackson can't go.

By Kevin Seifert, Star Tribune

Last update: October 29, 2007 – 10:29 PM

As the (quarterback) world turned Monday, the Vikings were dealing with a twist on their usual state of confusion.....

PurpleTide
10-30-2007, 07:21 AM
I hope Tarvaris can throw a spiral with minimal pain. Brooks had a spark, but I just don't think he gives us the best chance to win against SD. But if Bollinger is going to start this week, he'd better get every practice snap. What a pickle we find ourselves in. Just say no to going out on the street and getting a ol' timer like J.George....

El Vikingo
10-30-2007, 07:44 AM
I have no idea of reading a Defense
I am sure I wouldn´t find a receiver anytime
I can´t throw the ball deeper than 30 yards
I ´d limit myself to give the ball to our number 28

Could I take a chance to be our starting QB ?(If so I want the Mcmahon number 9,and "El Vikingo loco" on my back)

singersp
10-30-2007, 07:44 AM
Hoping for T-Jack (http://www.startribune.com/blogs/vikings/?p=1085)

October 29th, 2007 – 1:13 PM by Kevin Seifert
www.startribune.com

That was the upshot of coach Brad Childress’ afternoon news conference today as we began another week of GWTVQI. (Guess Who The Vikings Quarterback Is … if someone has a better acronym, we’ll take suggestions.)..........

singersp
10-30-2007, 07:49 AM
Nall likely won’t be an option (http://www.startribune.com/blogs/vikings/?p=1084)

October 29th, 2007 – 11:13 AM

by Judd Zulgad
www.startribune.com

Cross Craig Nall off the list of potential free-agent quarterbacks the Vikings will be able to sign if Tarvaris Jackson (finger) and Kelly Holcomb (neck) are unable to go next Sunday against San Diego......

singersp
10-30-2007, 07:51 AM
Could be Tarvaris Jackson or Brooks Bollinger at QB for Minnesota Vikings on Sunday (http://www.twincities.com/vikings/ci_7316711)

BY SEAN JENSEN
Pioneer Press
Article Last Updated: 10/30/2007 12:24:46 AM CDT

Brooks Bollinger could be the Vikings' starting quarterback Sunday by default.

After providing a spark off the bench against the Philadelphia Eagles, Bollinger - who was shaky in training camp and botched a snap with center Matt Birk in a relief appearance against Detroit - has earned the trust and confidence of his teammates....

singersp
10-30-2007, 07:55 AM
Rajkowski column: Bollinger prepared for any possibility (http://www.sctimes.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20071030/SPORTS/110300020/1002)

Published: October 30. 2007 12:30AM
www.sctimes.com

MINNEAPOLIS — Brooks Bollinger has been the forgotten man in the Minnesota Vikings’ quarterback equation this season.....

ejmat
10-30-2007, 07:59 AM
"singersp" wrote:

Could be Tarvaris Jackson or Brooks Bollinger at QB for Minnesota Vikings on Sunday (http://www.twincities.com/vikings/ci_7316711)

BY SEAN JENSEN
Pioneer Press
Article Last Updated: 10/30/2007 12:24:46 AM CDT

Brooks Bollinger could be the Vikings' starting quarterback Sunday by default.

After providing a spark off the bench against the Philadelphia Eagles, Bollinger - who was shaky in training camp and botched a snap with center Matt Birk in a relief appearance against Detroit - has earned the trust and confidence of his teammates....

As I mentioned in a previous thread BB deserves his chance to start. He came in a did a good job.
Better than any other QB play this entire season thus far.
As far as TJ IMO he has lost the starting job due to poorish play.
I'm not saying he can improve but you have to go with what your best chances of winning are.
Right now it's Bollinger judging by the play of all 3 QBs.

If they do bring someone else in off the street I wouldn't start him this week.

El Vikingo
10-30-2007, 08:02 AM
Chilly ,call me and I ll fly to Minnesota this nigth.

I ll do it for free (1ST Class and hotel not included,If you prepare 2 beautiful girls for the post-game it wouldn´t mind...)

singersp
10-30-2007, 08:06 AM
Childress: Jackson will QB if he is healthy; 2-5 Vikings try to stay afloat (http://www.dglobe.com/ap/index.cfm?page=view&id=D8SJ64OG0)

By JON KRAWCZYNSKI AP Sports Writer
The Associated Press - Monday, October 29, 2007
www.dglobe.com

EDEN PRAIRIE, Minn.

The Minnesota Vikings started this season with an interesting experiment at quarterback.......

singersp
10-30-2007, 08:08 AM
QB Or Not QB -- That is the Question
(http://gnb.scout.com/a.z?s=61&p=2&c=695778)

By Viking Update Staff
scout.com

Posted Oct 29, 2007

Purple Floyd
10-30-2007, 08:11 AM
The only way I don't want Jackson in there the rest of this year is if the coach has already given up on him and has no plans for him in the future. To pull him now and then start next season with him under the center would just put off either his development or his release from the team. In the end whether we lose by a touchdown or three is less important than deciding whether we really have a future franchise QB or whether we need to find one.

BadlandsVikings
10-30-2007, 10:57 AM
Doug Flutie :D

COJOMAY
10-30-2007, 10:59 AM
Add another catagory:
Who cares, they all suck!

cajunvike
10-30-2007, 11:02 AM
At this point, it isn't gonna hurt us to start TJack the rest of the way...none of our three QBs have proven that they can win games...and we may as well find out if TJack can develop into an NFL starter or not.
By the end of the season, we should know whether to move on or not...at least I THINK that Chilly will be able to figure it out.

Marrdro
10-30-2007, 11:05 AM
"cajunvike" wrote:

At this point, it isn't gonna hurt us to start TJack the rest of the way...none of our three QBs have proven that they can win games...and we may as well find out if TJack can develop into an NFL starter or not.
By the end of the season, we should know whether to move on or not...at least I THINK that Chilly will be able to figure it out.
Maybe its just me, but I bet he has already figured that out or has a sneaky idea.

Anyone else notice the comment about who has the list of emergency QB's?

BBQ Platypus
10-30-2007, 11:52 AM
How about Jeff George?
He was pretty mediocre.
Mediocrity at the quarterback position would be a considerable improvement.
No, wait - he isn't mediocre, he flat-out SUCKS.

Hmm...is the Tark still alive?
He's only about, what, sixty years old?
At this point, I'd start just about anyone.

singersp
10-30-2007, 11:07 PM
Where is Spergeon Wynn when you need him?

Vikes_King
10-30-2007, 11:32 PM
all i know... is it says Brad Bollinger instead of Brooks.

and hopefully who ever starts plays one hell of a game, i'll be there :(

Frostbite
10-30-2007, 11:38 PM
Bollinger deserves a second chance as a starter this week. I am pretty sure T.Jack will not be available and with Holcomb down What else do we have?? Some folks have been talking about the possible signing of Jeff George?? Not a terrible idea at this point but the trainers better have plenty of "Ensure" ready for Jeff at the Half if he should by some some chance get signed and actually be able to play Sunday.

Cheers!

DaVizzles
10-30-2007, 11:42 PM
Jeff George! Jeff George! Jeff George! Jeff George! Jeff George!

We should sign George and if he doesnt lead us to a couple of wins just bench him and play TJ the rest of the season so see if he is the real deal.

RK.
10-31-2007, 03:34 AM
I don't think it matters who starts at QB.
If we can't beat the hapless Eagles we are not going to win against the Chargers. :(

midgensa
10-31-2007, 03:45 AM
We have to play T-Jack ... and should probably look to play him as much as possible the rest of the year. We need to see if there is ANY chance this kid can improve ... it is just not realistic to think that Bollinger or Holcomb give us much of a chance to win or a future. While T-Jack may not give us a much better chance to win this season ... we can at least give him as much time as possible and see if he has any sort of future.

El Vikingo
10-31-2007, 06:25 AM
I ve voted for Brad Bollinger,he must be some free agent or something we have got recently,I am anxious to see him in action ......

Purple Floyd
10-31-2007, 08:40 AM
I think we should put Childress in there at QB for this game. Why?

He is probably at least 5 years younger than Jeff George ;D

He knows the playbook

After getting beaten like a red headed stepchild for a game he might lobby stronger for fixing the line

Marrdro
10-31-2007, 08:47 AM
"UffDaVikes" wrote:

He knows the playbook

After getting beaten like a red headed stepchild for a game he might lobby stronger for fixing the line

All great points, especially the last one.
;D

singersp
10-31-2007, 08:55 AM
"Marrdro" wrote:

"UffDaVikes" wrote:

He knows the playbook

;D

Bevell would have to prevent him from calling audibles.

Marrdro
10-31-2007, 09:12 AM
"singersp" wrote:

"Marrdro" wrote:

"UffDaVikes" wrote:

He knows the playbook

;D

Ohhhhhh my goodness.
This is gonna be a fun day.
;D

ejmat
10-31-2007, 12:24 PM
"Marrdro" wrote:

"singersp" wrote:

"Marrdro" wrote:

"UffDaVikes" wrote:

He knows the playbook

;D

Ohhhhhh my goodness.
This is gonna be a fun day.

;D

My first laughs of the day.

MNgriff
10-31-2007, 12:57 PM
I think TJack is the man if only for development because this team will not win as is. However if he's injured then you have to start BB. Why throw an injured qb to the wolves. That loss was just sad though considering this team has more talent then the eagles but was easily out coached. Cohwer sounds about right for a job like the vikes. I just don't think we can handle the development of another coaching staff

cajunvike
10-31-2007, 01:03 PM
"MNgriff" wrote:

I think TJack is the man if only for development because this team will not win as is. However if he's injured then you have to start BB. Why throw an injured qb to the wolves. That loss was just sad though considering this team has more talent then the eagles but was easily out coached. Cohwer sounds about right for a job like the vikes. I just don't think we can handle the development of another coaching staff

Or Schottenheimer...at least we would be good until the playoffs!

And who knows, maybe he will break his Super Bowl cherry coaching the Vikes!

ejmat
10-31-2007, 01:41 PM
"cajunvike" wrote:

"MNgriff" wrote:

I would take either Cowher or Schotty.
Can't go wrong wither way IMO.

skum
10-31-2007, 01:56 PM
Who is Brad Bollinger

tgorsegner
10-31-2007, 02:05 PM
so is that BRAD johnson or BROOKS bollinger?

I do think that if tj is less than 100% BB definately deserves the start. i've never really been against him. the bollinger sucks crowd definately overreacted. he might not be great, but i think i would prefer him to holcomb anyway

ColoradoViking
10-31-2007, 02:16 PM
BB looks fragile and flimsy to me.. It is a big issue in our QB problems. Even if one of the guys improved his game, how could we trust he'd be there for the long haul? If TJ can't go now with a finger issue when there is no good backup option, why would we waste our time developing a guy who can't play with a little injury? Maybe it is not his decision, but I'll bet he could push it harder.

MNgriff
10-31-2007, 02:19 PM
"ejmat" wrote:

"cajunvike" wrote:

"MNgriff" wrote:

It's not like I think chili was left with the best team out there or that he doesn't have a great eye for talent(to me his entire tenure and even a few more years is worth AD) but he's not at the level of guys like Schotty or Cowher so why would the vikes even continue this experiment with guys like that on the market?

tgorsegner
10-31-2007, 02:22 PM
"MNgriff" wrote:

"ejmat" wrote:

"cajunvike" wrote:

"MNgriff" wrote:

It's not like I think chili was left with the best team out there or that he doesn't have a great eye for talent(to me his entire tenure and even a few more years is worth AD) but he's not at the level of guys like Schotty or Cowher so why would the vikes even continue this experiment with guys like that on the market?

good call. any proven coach should do better than the chiller expiriment. because that isnt working well right now. i ususally dont like the idea of firing a coach after only a few years, but the playcalling this year has been a bit of a joke.

ejmat
10-31-2007, 05:56 PM
"tgorsegner" wrote:

"MNgriff" wrote:

"ejmat" wrote:

"cajunvike" wrote:

"MNgriff" wrote:

good call. any proven coach should do better than the chiller expiriment. because that isnt working well right now. i ususally dont like the idea of firing a coach after only a few years, but the playcalling this year has been a bit of a joke.

Please elaborate on the playcalling this year being a joke.
I definately believe it was last year but this year its been a lot better IMO.

Ltrey33
10-31-2007, 05:58 PM
Start Peterson at quarterback and Chester at tailback and run the option.

cajunvike
10-31-2007, 06:02 PM
"MNgriff" wrote:

"ejmat" wrote:

"cajunvike" wrote:

"MNgriff" wrote:

GOOD POINT!

C Mac D
10-31-2007, 06:14 PM
"cajunvike" wrote:

"MNgriff" wrote:

"ejmat" wrote:

"cajunvike" wrote:

"MNgriff" wrote:

GOOD POINT!

I whole-heartedly agree with this. I know Cowhers gonna be a fortune, but if Ziggy wants to put a winning product on the field, he's got to pay to play.

And I don't care if Schotty can't get over the hump in the playoffs, I'd love to just have a playoff team right now. It would make these fall months A LOT more fun and not so long, painful and Chilly....

scottishvike
10-31-2007, 06:28 PM
I say we start the guy on the roster with a perfect QB rating of 158.3 over an 11 year NFL career. Surely the guy for the job is...............

Ryan Longwell http://i58.photobucket.com/albums/g279/scottishvike/whistling.gif

Purple Floyd
10-31-2007, 06:34 PM
"singersp" wrote:

"Marrdro" wrote:

"UffDaVikes" wrote:

He knows the playbook

;D

The only responsibility Bevell should have is to turn on Direc Tv and watch replays to verify whether to throw the red flag

crazyB
10-31-2007, 07:05 PM
well if Bollinger is given some practice time then give him the starting QB spot, if they are not going to give him some good practice time then just give the spot to whomever wants it.
i hope if they do get in a new guy they spend the money to get a good QB, it would be a wast to bring in a guy no better than the three we have.

Big C
10-31-2007, 07:29 PM
I am actually excited to see Bollinger play a full game. SD run a 3-4 defense and I'm afraid it will cause TJ as much confusion as Dallas did. If TJ is healthy start him. If not it HAS to be Bollinger.

As for Childress, I think he just needs to hire a real OC and let him run the offensive show. That approach has been extremely successfull on defense with two differnet DCs. Chilly needs his hands out of the offense. 90% of the criticism he comes under is related to an inept offense.

aznviking
10-31-2007, 07:45 PM
"C" wrote:

"cajunvike" wrote:

"MNgriff" wrote:

"ejmat" wrote:

"cajunvike" wrote:

GOOD POINT!

I whole-heartedly agree with this. I know Cowhers gonna be a fortune, but if Ziggy wants to put a winning product on the field, he's got to pay to play.

And I don't care if Schotty can't get over the hump in the playoffs, I'd love to just have a playoff team right now. It would make these fall months A LOT more fun and not so long, painful and Chilly....

Let's get Tomlin back as our head coach and demote Chilly to a waterboy ;D.

But I think we should give Bollinger a shot and see how well he does against the Chargers. If he does well, then I withdraw a previous comment that I made asking why we ever picked him up.

marshallvike
10-31-2007, 07:46 PM
considering the quality of our qb's and offensive playcalling, just snap it straight to AD and let him run. ;D ;D

ejmat
10-31-2007, 09:49 PM
I think I saw a blurb on the ESPN ticker that TJ is expected to start Sunday.

DustinDupont
10-31-2007, 11:45 PM
"ejmat" wrote:

I think I saw a blurb on the ESPN ticker that TJ is expected to start Sunday.

good!!!

jkjuggalo
11-01-2007, 12:02 AM
Let's put MeMo, CT, and AD in the backfield at the same time and they can take turns running and throwing.

Frostbite
11-01-2007, 12:31 AM
Hi All....From the reports I have seen it looks as if T.Jack is going to start. I think this is a mistake because there is no way this injury is fully healed yet. Sure....they can deaden it and take out most of the pain so he can play, but that doesn't mean he will be an effective player, especially throwing the Ball.

I am surprise how many folks have so little faith in Brooks (Not Brad) Bollinger starting on Sunday. He looked very good to me against the Eagles and I thought earned a chance to start this week while allowing T.Jack a real chance to get fully healed up.

I know team Doctors and coaches would not start T.Jack unless they felt he was close enough to being recovered to play and possibly be effective....but I have my doubts about this and hope this decision doesn't have any serious re-injury issues surface. I'd hate to lose the guy for the rest of the season or worse??

Cheers!

singersp
11-01-2007, 06:20 AM
Vikings QB Tarvaris Jackson back on track to start this week (http://www.usatoday.com/sports/football/2007-10-31-788554069_x.htm)

Posted 10h 46m ago

usatoday.com

EDEN PRAIRIE, Minn. (AP) — Tarvaris Jackson is in line to return as Minnesota's starting quarterback this week against San Diego........

PurpleTide
11-01-2007, 06:58 AM
I hope Tarvaris is not gonna hurt himself worse by rushing back. I'll be looking to see how the ball comes out. If he can throw spirals, on target thats fine. If he throws a couple wobblers and they are off target, Brooks better be ready. His groin injury should be closer to healed also, and he needs to make some plays with his legs the second half of this season.

singersp
11-01-2007, 07:14 AM
Tarvaris Jackson is apparently ready to return to the starting lineup (http://www.twincities.com/vikings/ci_7331794)

Article Last Updated: 10/31/2007 03:13:58 PM CDT

twincities.com

Vikings coach Brad Childress indicated Jackson looked "significantly different" from a week ago, when his broken finger was swollen and more of a problem......

Purple Floyd
11-02-2007, 09:08 AM
The list of QB's that we could have gotten who are now either benched or injured is getting longer by the day:

Leftwich- Season ending ankle surgery
Schaub- Knocked out of the last 2 games, has concussion
Trent Green-Career is over, Head injuries
David Carr- Injured but may have to start because--
Vinnie Testaverde- Achilles injury
Culpepper- Healthy but back to his normal INT throwing, ball fumbling self.

Our situation is not good, but it looks like some other teams have more problems than we do.

Marrdro
11-02-2007, 09:11 AM
"UffDaVikes" wrote:

The list of QB's that we could have gotten who are now either benched or injured is getting longer by the day:

Our situation is not good, but it looks like some other teams have more problems than we do.

And the crop doesn't look any better for next year.

Very nice recap my friend.
;D

ejmat
11-02-2007, 09:18 AM
"Marrdro" wrote:

"UffDaVikes" wrote:

;D

I wouldn't say any of those situations are worse than ours.

Leftwich - They have Harrington.
Better than any of our current QBs
Shaub - The have Rosenfels. Better than any of our current QBs
Trent Green - They have Cleo Lemon (not bad but not great and Josh Beck a high potential QB)
David Carr - Better than any of our QBs
Vinnie Testaverde - Again better than any of our QBs and on the same team as carr
Culpepper - Even the Raiders have a better situation.
McCown is actually starting this weekend and is better than any of our QBs.
They also have to top draft pick of 2007 in Jamarcus Russell.

Let's not forget you left out Garcia and the fact they could have kept Johnson who is also better than anything we have now.

Marrdro
11-02-2007, 09:50 AM
"ejmat" wrote:

"Marrdro" wrote:

"UffDaVikes" wrote:

;D

I wouldn't say any of those situations are worse than ours.

Leftwich - They have Harrington.
Better than any of our current QBs
Shaub - The have Rosenfels. Better than any of our current QBs
Trent Green - They have Cleo Lemon (not bad but not great and Josh Beck a high potential QB)
David Carr - Better than any of our QBs
Vinnie Testaverde - Again better than any of our QBs and on the same team as carr
Culpepper - Even the Raiders have a better situation.
McCown is actually starting this weekend and is better than any of our QBs.
They also have to top draft pick of 2007 in Jamarcus Russell.

Let's not forget you left out Garcia and the fact they could have kept Johnson who is also better than anything we have now.

They should have kept Brad, however, because the front office refused to give him a contract going into last year I think he choose to move on.

Alot of play about how he wanted to go someplace to start around that time, however, we really know he just wanted to get paid as well.

Another bang up job by our Capologist/front office.
Maybe they are getting interest on the money or something like that which will help with the stadium project.
;D

Very sad indeed.

Purple D
11-02-2007, 09:53 AM
NO QB has looked good in Childress' system.
Johnson, who was supposed to be a WCO QB, Holcomb another WCO QB and Bollinger (you guessed it) another WCO QB.
The recievers weren't catching
passes and the QB's weren't making too many plays happen.

I am beginning to think that no matter what QB we were to bring in they probably wouldn't look good here either.

MNgriff
11-04-2007, 10:25 AM
It's John Clayton info so I don't really know how serious I'm taking this but I'm surprised to say the least! Check it out. 7159 (http://proxy.espn.go.com/chat/chatESPN?event_id=17159)
EDIT it says right there.. week 8.. old for some reason pleas lock and get rid of it.. SORRY!

jessejames09
11-04-2007, 11:02 AM
Wow I don't know how I missed this thread. It must have been me subliminally ignoring all the QB threads because they are all filled with.... Well....you decide.

Big C
11-04-2007, 12:16 PM
As long as anyone other than Holcomb is starting we should have a good game. In my eyes, Bollinger is head and shoulders above Holcomb. If TJ and the medical staff is confident with his injury then I would like him to start. The more exposure he gets this year will help him next year (hopefully like Jason Campbell of Washington).

gregair13
11-04-2007, 12:46 PM
whoever is healthy

ultravikingfan
11-04-2007, 01:10 PM
"MNgriff" wrote:

It's John Clayton info so I don't really know how serious I'm taking this but I'm surprised to say the least! Check it out. 7159 (http://proxy.espn.go.com/chat/chatESPN?event_id=17159)
EDIT it says right there.. week 8.. old for some reason pleas lock and get rid of it.. SORRY!

It says it right there, huh?

I could swear TJack is the starter...or maybe I am wrong.

ejmat
11-05-2007, 09:16 AM
Here's my take on who should start from now on.
I understand the entire "let him play and take his lumps to learn the game".
However, due to the situation I think at this point it should be BBs team.
Here's why.
Although BB didn't light it up, he did prove he can hit the right side of the barn so to speak (which KH and TJ has had problems doing).
That did have an effect on the defense because they had to respect the pass moreso than they would have with TJ or KH.
We all know KH is not the short or long term answer.
The fact that concerns me the most about TJ is he has now started a total of 7 games in which he was knocked out of the game 3 times do to injury.
That's not counting the game against Chicago last year where he was injured too after coming in to replace BJ.

I like TJs heart and he seems to be a great teammate.
However, at this time I just don't think he is tough enough to play in the NFL.
Too many injuries in such a short period of time.
IMO BB should start the rest of the year.
Maybe bring in someone like Bledsoe to back him up (yes as a bandaid).
Next year dip into the FA market and sure up a long term QB (such as Derek Anderson) even if it costs a 1 and a 3 round pick.
This team is a QB away from beiing a good team and by going out and getting a QB like that it will helpa as far as keeping solid vets on the team and possible bring in one or two other good players.
Of course, this is all JMHO.