PDA

View Full Version : need to know if a packer fan thats a friend is lying to me..



poult
11-28-2004, 11:26 PM
ok, this guy i know is claiming there was an article in the pioneer press or whatever its called that said mike tice was considering going to coach the university of washington. did ANYONE see this so called article? i dont see how this could be a subject with him having another year on his contract, especially during the season like this.

so im guesing its fake. him just messing with me. just wondering if anyone can give me a yes or no on it.

jackyl
11-28-2004, 11:31 PM
Posted on Thu, Nov. 25, 2004





Does college want Tice?

CHARLEY WALTERS


A month ago, Vikings offensive coordinator Scott Linehan's name was being mentioned among those being considered for the University of Washington head coaching job.

This week, Vikings head coach Mike Tice's name has joined the rumor mill. Tice, who owns a home in Seattle and is in the third year of a four-year contract with the Vikings, wouldn't comment when asked Wednesday if he would be interested.

The Vikings have a $1 million contract option on Tice for next year. The Washington job would pay significantly more than that.

cajunvike
11-28-2004, 11:31 PM
Here is the article...Tice had no comment on rumors that he was being considered for the UW job, but the article says that he would make more money (not to hard with what Tightwad Red is paying him).

http://www.twincities.com/mld/twincities/sports/columnists/charley_walters/10267369.htm?1c

skogs02
11-28-2004, 11:32 PM
i always go to pioneerpress.com and i have never seen anything like that at all

superior230bartime
11-28-2004, 11:33 PM
Here is what was posted on profootballtalk.com


HUSKIES INTERESTED IN MEATHEAD?



Charley Walters of the St. Paul Pioneer Press reports that the name of Vikings coach Mike "Meathead" Tice has surfaced as a possible candidate for the head-coaching job at the University of Washington.



Tice, who declined to comment on the situation on Wednesday, is in the final year of his Vikings contract. However, the team holds a $1 million option for 2005.



Tice owns a home in Seattle, dating back to his days with the Seahawks.



In our view, Tice's rah-rah, pencil-in-the-ear, foot-in-the-rear routine might play better in college than it does in the NFL. Though some of the players respond favorably to his antics, we think he'd connect better with guys who are, well, younger and stupider.



That's not to say Tice isn't a solid NFL coach. He is. But whether he's got the senses and the smarts to push a team into deep into the postseason is a question which to date can be answered with a resounding "no f-in' way."

poult
11-28-2004, 11:34 PM
damn, so he was telling the truth.......... now i have to go and say apparently you were right to him. ha, damn, i was hoping he was wrong.

i wonder if tice is considering it, if it is really a considerable amount more in salary, and rumor has it he has a home in seattle, i guess it'd be pretty tempting.

cajunvike
11-28-2004, 11:57 PM
You forgot to bring along this little "nugget" from profootballtalk.com in your haste to post the Tice article, bartime...so I took the liberty of posting it for you.

SUNDAY ONE-LINERS

Packers RB Najeh "Dookie" Davenport might mount the throne at tailback on Monday night against the Rams, if starter Ahman Green (ribs) can't go.

superior230bartime
11-28-2004, 11:59 PM
"cajunvike" wrote:

You forgot to bring along this little "nugget" from profootballtalk.com in your haste to post the Tice article, bartime...so I took the liberty of posting it for you.

SUNDAY ONE-LINERS

Packers RB Najeh "Dookie" Davenport might mount the throne at tailback on Monday night against the Rams, if starter Ahman Green (ribs) can't go.

No, actually I didn't forget Cajun, it just has no relevance to his question.

poult
11-29-2004, 12:35 AM
yeah, well its true that the davenport thing had nothing to do with my question. but im just wondering what kinda site is that you guys got that article from. i've never been there, but it seems from the quotes to be a pretty sketchy football site.

RK.
11-29-2004, 12:36 AM
What is really sick is that the U of W coaching job pays more than the Vikes head coaching position. :roll:

poult
11-29-2004, 12:37 AM
yeah, thats cheap ass mccombs for ya............

ADubya26
11-29-2004, 12:42 AM
I dont know if Tice leaving would be a good thing or a bad thing. On one hand, he makes some stupid decisions and sometimes I want him to leave and at other times I can appreciate his ballsyness. Also, the players have grown closer to him and to shuffle around coaches too many times in such a short span cant be good. If think if we got a stud coach it would get us to the Superbowl though.

snowinapril
11-29-2004, 12:54 AM
I wanted him to leave all day today.

I won't even go into it.

He is not going, if I was him, I would just use that as a way to get paid more. Mc Combs willmhave to think about it anyway. The rumors are good for Tice.

Caine
11-29-2004, 07:34 AM
Poult,

The articles make no mention of Tice saying he is considering leaving, they simply speculate on what "might" happen. That's pretty common for reporters...and most of 'em are idiots.

So, your Packer friend was only partly right - the rumor exists - but Tice has made no mention of "considering" squat.

As for Tice himself, I hope he stays.

Dennis Green sank the Vikings into a deep, dark hole. He raped the Defense to build a super-powered Offense. When the "O" imploded (4 years ago), we were left with the shell of a team. I screamed and yelled for 6 years until Green finally left. Sure, he brought in some great players - but he did it at the expense of the total team. We got Moss and Culpepper, but we lost everything that made our Defense solid (Remember the Dungy years?).

Tice was handed a poor excuse for a team - one that was fragmented and shattered - and started to rebuild. And, in my opinion, he's done a damn good job of it. He's attempted to address the Defensive concerns while keeping the "O-Machine" intact.

I'm not thrilled with his choices for coordinators - IMO, they have more to do with our stumbling than the players do. I'm not always happy with some of the choices he makes situationally. However, overall, I feel that we now have a chance to win on any given sunday against any other team...something I haven't felt for awhile.

So, I personally hope Tice sticks around. I hope McCombs pulls his head out of his ass and forks over some CASH to Tice - the guy has earned it. I also hope McCombs suffers a momentary flash of Viking Spirit which compels him to sell ME the team for $37.00 (I'd pay more...but I'm broke). I doubt either will occur.

We are a team "on the brink". A few more tweaks on "D", and we are a solid superbowl contender. I think a new coach now might set us back a bit. A new OWNER, one that actually cares about Minnesota and the Vikings (Two things that should ALWAYS go together)...that's another story.

Caine

whackthepack
11-29-2004, 08:45 AM
"superior230bartime" wrote:

Here is what was posted on profootballtalk.com


HUSKIES INTERESTED IN MEATHEAD?



Charley Walters of the St. Paul Pioneer Press reports that the name of Vikings coach Mike "Meathead" Tice has surfaced as a possible candidate for the head-coaching job at the University of Washington.



Tice, who declined to comment on the situation on Wednesday, is in the final year of his Vikings contract. However, the team holds a $1 million option for 2005.



Tice owns a home in Seattle, dating back to his days with the Seahawks.



In our view, Tice's rah-rah, pencil-in-the-ear, foot-in-the-rear routine might play better in college than it does in the NFL. Though some of the players respond favorably to his antics, we think he'd connect better with guys who are, well, younger and stupider.



That's not to say Tice isn't a solid NFL coach. He is. But whether he's got the senses and the smarts to push a team into deep into the postseason is a question which to date can be answered with a resounding "no f-in' way."



Superior bar maiden why don't you go away, you troll! :pukeright:

I see a 3 game losing streak coming for the Puckers, and with the lsoing streak the Vikes clinch the North! :cheers:

dan3ski
11-29-2004, 10:10 AM
I doubt the Red would care he would just put someone else in there that he did not have to pay.

Del Rio
11-29-2004, 10:37 AM
I don't know if I would go into all that handed a shell of a team and rebuilt them junk. Tice took over a very good football team. He has made some corrections by adding defensive players *gasp* , but other then that..................

The thing that worries me if Tice does leave the team would surely slump. It seems the players like him, and probably side with him on a personal level. If they lose Tice they may feel betrayed and their game may suffer. As far as his coaching ability and this and that, there really isn't anything I can say wow about. But then again I'm not in the locker room or in the film room so am in no position to even comment.

But some of the stuff he does on the field is bad. The fluctuation of the team and the total inconsistancy of it is bad, and one can either say

A) Man the team is young they are just learning.

B) The coaching is really poor.

But if Tice goes I won't cry, if he stays he should get paid more. I really would love to see ol' Red hit the road though.

cajunvike
11-29-2004, 11:10 AM
"poult" wrote:

yeah, well its true that the davenport thing had nothing to do with my question. but im just wondering what kinda site is that you guys got that article from. i've never been there, but it seems from the quotes to be a pretty sketchy football site.

I checked it out after reading bartime's post...it is kinda funny (in a bitter sort of way). Kinda like bartime's posts...LOL