PDA

View Full Version : If Vikes move from MN will you still be a fan

RK.
11-23-2004, 12:47 PM
Just curious how many would still be a fan if it were the LA Vikings or something like that. I have been a Viking fan since the 60's even though I don't live in MN. I did live in the Twin Cities for about a year in 1969 but that was it. I guess I am asking are you a fan of the team or just a fan because the Vikes are your local state team?

SKOL
11-23-2004, 12:54 PM
I'd still be a fan, but not like now. I was a fan before moving to Minny, but I gotta admit it would be tough to be loyal to a team that's not loyal to its fans. I'd probably revert to following the $%^&* Fudge Pack. NAH !!

VKG4LFE
11-23-2004, 12:55 PM
I would still be a fan no matter what! Until we got a new team that is (if that ever happened). Just like the Stars! We better not go anywhere damn it!

purplehorn
11-23-2004, 12:56 PM
It's really a non issue because they ARE NOT going
anywhere.....

poult
11-23-2004, 12:57 PM
no, i wouldnt be. i didnt follow the northstars to dallas, i sure as hell am not following the vikings anywhere else.

i just hope i never have to make that choice........

ADubya26
11-23-2004, 01:10 PM
even though i live in florida, i would like to see the vikes stay in minny because it fits them well and i would feel horrible for all you guys that live there. I would still be a fan wherever they go even though it wouldnt be the same

Odin VAVikefan
11-23-2004, 01:16 PM
I wouldn't remain a fan of the team if they moved out of state. I would be a fan of many of the players (DC, Moss, etc..), but I would strongly dislike the organization, and probably the NFL as a whole. I don't feel like I would owe any loyalty to a team that doesn't honor its own obligations to its fans. And I would be absolutely pissed if they kept 'Vikings' as a team name! #%$& L.A.!

kramer9guy
11-23-2004, 01:23 PM
I was born in Upper Michigan (which might as well be northern Wisconsin), raised in Green Bay, Wisconsin and later Illinois (all of the rival states). I have never lived in Minnesota. I would still be a fan but only until Minnesota was given another team and then I would root for the new Minnesota team. While none of this will probably happen, if it did, I sure hope that the new Viking team would at least change their name ala the Ravens so Minnestoa could keep the Viking name.

snowinapril
11-23-2004, 01:55 PM
This is vote is highly confidential. We don't want this info to get into the wrong hands.

duffVIkEs
11-23-2004, 01:56 PM
COME TO LAAAA! i could auctually go to a game that isnt against the chargers which happens like once every five years.

vikings_fan66
11-23-2004, 02:26 PM
yeah ....I would remain a fan..... but the second Minnesota got a new team they would be my favourie and hopefully they could keep the Vikings name

XTAP59
11-23-2004, 03:17 PM
"vikings_fan66" wrote:

yeah ....I would remain a fan..... but the second Minnesota got a new team they would be my favourie and hopefully they could keep the Vikings name

There-in lies the rub.....
Much like Cleveland did with the Browns when the team moved to Baltimore, the city kept it's name, colors, records, and history.
I don't know of any Cleveland area residents that are Ravens fans. In fact, they hate the Ravens more than the Steelers because they (Ravens) won the superbowl and were once the Browns just several years removed.

The same may happen in Minnesota if, and as it stands now, there is no if, this is just plain conjecture, if the team moved and a new team was issued to Minnesota, the new team would be the Vikings and the home crowd would cheer for them.
Fans outside the local area such as me, (Youngstown, Ohio) would still be loyal to the old Vikings and yet would want to cheer and support the new team as well.

I don't think the NFL wants to go through this type of mess anymore.

Vikes will stay.

Nightgaunt
11-23-2004, 03:19 PM
Minnesota Wild>>>>>> Dallas Stars. Hope that answers your question. Incase you missed the point. HELL NO!

cajunvike
11-23-2004, 05:57 PM
"duffVIkEs" wrote:

COME TO LAAAA! i could auctually go to a game that isnt against the chargers which happens like once every five years.

Yeah, but then all the games would be blacked out in LA, because they would never sell out the games in time...I used to live in SoCal so I know how fickle the fan base can be. Plus you would get all of the crappy games when an LA team was not playing...as of right now, you usually get the best games without preemption by a local team. Be careful of what you wish for!

I also hate the Dallas Stars and it still pisses me off that they left and then won a Stanley Cup...total ripoff of the Minnesota fans...and for a flaky city like Dallas, no less (yeah, I lived there too, so don't doubt me).

The Vikings belong in Minnesota and the legislature had better do what it takes to keep them there or they will/should all be voted out of office!

LosAngelis
11-23-2004, 07:30 PM
I, your official Packer Ambassador, want to assure that if/when the Vikings move to LA, I will be your official liason in the process of becoming a Packer fan.

Everyone, except of course, GoPackGo/GoVikesGo. You already had your chance. Go become a Washington Nationals fan.

The process will begin with several tours of the Packer Hall of Fame, starting with the 20 minutes, $10 per person admission, then to the 1 hour, $20 per person admission (being a Packer fan isn't cheap).

The hardest, of course, will be the transition to Miller products, and hardest of all, the psychological revamping to find Budweiser commercials begrudgingly good, but still hating them nonetheless.

Finally, we shall take you to Kiln, Mississippi for a full tour of Brett Favre's hometown, after which you won't be able to watch him without pulling for the hillbilly quarterback who can not only walk on water, but pick up a baseball with his toes.

I am already preparing the Red McCombs dartboards for you. I hope the transition is easy for all of you. It is my honor to bring you back over to the good side of the Force.

Viking_Spirit
11-23-2004, 07:36 PM
I don't know what I would do. It just wouldn't be the same with them not being in Minnesota.

sandviking
11-23-2004, 07:56 PM
Hey, bring the Vikes to Arizona! They are looking for a pro football team! I don't think I could follow the team to another city. It just wouldn't be the same.

triedandtruevikesfan
11-23-2004, 08:35 PM
I can honestly say I would no longer be a fan. I'd still love the players, but being that I was born and raised in MN it would feel disloyal to my homerness to cheer for a team that was no longer a part of the state.

And no thanks Los... I will never be converted to that low level!!

Vikes
11-23-2004, 10:42 PM
"RK" wrote:

Just curious how many would still be a fan if it were the LA Vikings or something like that. I have been a Viking fan since the 60's even though I don't live in MN. I did live in the Twin Cities for about a year in 1969 but that was it. I guess I am asking are you a fan of the team or just a fan because the Vikes are your local state team?

If they do move I hope its to LA then I could drive every weekend and watch them play. Yes I would stay a fan until Minnesota got a new team.

Vikes
11-23-2004, 10:46 PM
"LosAngelis" wrote:

I, your official Packer Ambassador, want to assure that if/when the Vikings move to LA, I will be your official liason in the process of becoming a Packer fan.

Everyone, except of course, GoPackGo/GoVikesGo. You already had your chance. Go become a Washington Nationals fan.

The process will begin with several tours of the Packer Hall of Fame, starting with the 20 minutes, $10 per person admission, then to the 1 hour, $20 per person admission (being a Packer fan isn't cheap).

The hardest, of course, will be the transition to Miller products, and hardest of all, the psychological revamping to find Budweiser commercials begrudgingly good, but still hating them nonetheless.

Finally, we shall take you to Kiln, Mississippi for a full tour of Brett Favre's hometown, after which you won't be able to watch him without pulling for the hillbilly quarterback who can not only walk on water, but pick up a baseball with his toes.

I am already preparing the Red McCombs dartboards for you. I hope the transition is easy for all of you. It is my honor to bring you back over to the good side of the Force.

haha thats actually funny!

dan3ski
11-23-2004, 11:07 PM
I would probably become a Giants fan being that I am from NY. Even though I live in Denver now I will never be a Denver Donkeys fan or for that matter any AFC team.

LosAngelis
11-24-2004, 06:43 AM
"triedandtruevikesfan" wrote:

And no thanks Los... I will never be converted to that low level!!

TNT...you especially! I already have your Favre jersey ordered. Would you like that in green or white?

If you want, I can get it in the alternate gold color, so it can sort of feel like a Viking jersey.

I'm only doing this because I care about you guys. :thumbright:

TheAnimal93
11-24-2004, 06:49 AM
"LosAngelis" wrote:

:pukeright: :pukeright: :pukeright: :pukeright: :pukeright: :pukeright: :pukeright: :pukeright:
and in case there is ANY CONFUSION :pukeright: :pukeright: :pukeright: :pukeright: :pukeright: :pukeright:
it would absolutely terrible if the vikes move. but i am like purplehorn, no way they are going to move. build a new stadium.....and hurry

lifelongvike
11-24-2004, 08:52 AM
Not sure if I would continue to be a fan if they move, I may just go with my second choice which is whoever is playing the Slackers

ultravikingfan
11-24-2004, 06:38 PM
No I would not be a fan at all, no football for me. I grew up watching the MN Vikings, I plan to die watching the MN Vikings. Not the LA Viks or somewhere else. I would think that those of us from MN would feel this way!

snowinapril
11-24-2004, 07:08 PM
"vikings_fan66" wrote:

Amen to that

dart18
11-24-2004, 07:42 PM
sign me up los, if the vikes left i would turn to the pack. Ok not really, not a chance in hell but other than that i would still be a vikes fan, i would probably move on to another team or wait for our next team. Hate me if you all want but i dont hate the pack or Favre, i just hate the media loving, nay humping of Favres leg and his team and their fans.

Caine
11-24-2004, 08:13 PM
If Red moves the Vikes (In 6-8 years or so I think he actually can), I will stop being a Viking fan...immediately. I will toss 38 years of hard-core fandome - living behind enemy lines (In Wisconsin) - into the trash can. I was a North Stars fan until they moved...I'm now making my way back to the Wild by way of St. Louis.

The Viking name should stay, however, as it wouldn't be appropriate anywhere else (The L.A. Vikings?!?!?!? No friggin' way!!).

Once Minnesota got a new franchise - provided it was the Vikings (renamed of course) - I would be a fan of them.

In the meantime, I would likely leave for the AFC and follow Jacksonville...only because Del Rio was a favorite player of mine when he was a Viking.

I wouldn't become a Packers/Bears/Lions fan at gun point. No disrespect intended to the teams or their fans, but I've rooted against you for too long to ever consider crossing over (Or cross dressing...or whatever it is that you do). The only time I ever wore the hideous "Green & Gold" was when I was honoring a lost bet (Yup..the lost in the Metrodome last year cost me BIG!! Packer jersey, high-n-tight with the Packer logo on my melon - as a temp tatoo, not shaved in)..it took me weeks to feel "clean" again (I've got the same stakes riding on this years Metrodome game as well because I have FAITH in my team...GO VIKES!!!).

Caine

cajunvike
11-24-2004, 11:18 PM
"Caine" wrote:

The only time I ever wore the hideous "Green & Gold" was when I was honoring a lost bet (Yup..the lost in the Metrodome last year cost me BIG!! Packer jersey, high-n-tight with the Packer logo on my melon - as a temp tatoo, not shaved in)..it took me weeks to feel "clean" again (I've got the same stakes riding on this years Metrodome game as well because I have FAITH in my team...GO VIKES!!!).

Caine (exerpted from longer post)

You are one loyal (and brave) fan, dude! :salute: I am sure that your opposing bettor will feel just as bad when he has to wear the Viking colors come Christmas Eve...post pics when it happens!

Caine
11-25-2004, 06:24 AM
"cajunvike" wrote:

"Caine" wrote:

The only time I ever wore the hideous "Green & Gold" was when I was honoring a lost bet (Yup..the lost in the Metrodome last year cost me BIG!! Packer jersey, high-n-tight with the Packer logo on my melon - as a temp tatoo, not shaved in)..it took me weeks to feel "clean" again (I've got the same stakes riding on this years Metrodome game as well because I have FAITH in my team...GO VIKES!!!).

Caine (exerpted from longer post)

You are one loyal (and brave) fan, dude! :salute: I am sure that your opposing bettor will feel just as bad when he has to wear the Viking colors come Christmas Eve...post pics when it happens!

Believe me, I would love nothing more...but there is an unfortunate caveat. I'll quickly run through the cycle of events.

After losing to GB (By way of the Officials) in Lambeau 2 years ago, then getting bumped out of play-off contention by Arizona (And Denver sitting 9 starters - jerks!!), Minnesota was obviously unhappy with Green Bay. When GB became the first game of the season, I knew it was a lock - even in Lambeau.

Of course, as they are known to do, all of the Packer Fans I know argued that there was no way we'd win in Lambaeu...and out came the boasts. One gentleman - my opponent in this ongoing bet - wanted to bet on the outcome, I believe $50. I replied, "I don't want your money...I want your PRIDE".

The Terms: The Loser wears the colors of the Winner's team for an entire 10-hour shift (we work together), gets a shaved head and paints the opposing logo on it.

He backed out IMMEDIATELY. I said, "What's the matter? No faith in your team?". Still, no dice. Suddenly, everyone else who works in that area - all of whom had been listening and many of whom were Packer fans - started harrassing my Opponent saying he was a fair weather fan and questioning his commitment to his team. I - the lone Viking fan - stood firm. He - a packer fan among Packer fans - began to sweat.

Finally, he agreed to take the bet provided we reduce the loss of hair to a high-n-tight. I agreed ONLY if the game in the Metrodome was added to the bet (I originally didn't ask for that to be included thinking that game was also a lock). We now had a bet.

3 weeks prior to opening day, my Opponent informed me that he would be out of town the week of the firt game. After much crying and whimpering (on his part) I agreed to reduce the first game to a $5 bet, but the Metrodome game stayed "As Is". He was resigned to having to humiliate himself, but had no choice.

Of course, we know what happened. We won the first - as I'd predicted - but lost the second...WHO KNEW?!?!?!? I was caught in my own cleverness. But, being a person of great integrity, I fulfilled the terms of the bet completely and fully....much to the delight of the hoard of Packer fans I work with (I wore my REAL colors the next day...loyal to the bitter end).

The bet has since mutated. The final pay-off only happens in the event of a sweep, with $5 riding on individual games (A token exchange). So I was less than thrilled to lose the way we did in Lambeau as you can well imagine. My Opponent, of course, is much relieved since he is assured of another year without complete humiliation, while I am on the bubble (I'm not worried).

I find it interesting to note that no other Packer fans are even remotely willing to place their "Pride" on the line. Each time they start to talk smack, I simply offer them similar terms..."Care to bet your hair on it?". Each time, they recoil in fear and begin to mumble something about "Not a real bet"...I laugh and move on.

If we can get a sweep next year, I will OF COURSE post pix of the event. Several other non-Packer fans and I are planning to have shirts made of the "Humiliation" as well. The "Super Fan" shirts will be made when I have the pic to put on it (Gotta wait another year - dammit!!).

So, if any of you are - like me - trapped behind enemy lines - bet them their hair and colors. They'll shut up and slink away in short order.

Caine

Eyesore
11-25-2004, 10:15 AM
L.A. Vikings! Ssounds good to me. Nice ring to it.

Kinda like L.A. Lakers!!!

lifelongvike
11-25-2004, 01:09 PM
"Eyesore" wrote:

L.A. Vikings! Ssounds good to me. Nice ring to it.

Kinda like L.A. Lakers!!!

Wrong sport, supports wrong team but at least the online name is correct.

Eyesore
11-25-2004, 02:32 PM
You guys will soon be hating Red as much as Cleveland hates Art Modell.

That day is coming.

cheesefree
11-25-2004, 03:21 PM
"Eyesore" wrote:

You guys will soon be hating Red as much as Cleveland hates Art Modell.

That day is coming.

What a tool.

Eyesore
11-25-2004, 03:33 PM
" tool '...so '90's

Viking_Spirit
11-25-2004, 08:06 PM
"Eyesore" wrote:

" tool '...so '90's
lol

uncle tony
11-27-2004, 01:29 PM
The vikes need to stay in Minnesota! If that ass munch they call Red makes the choice to move them I need my Minnesota brothers to do one thing. Bring his ass to me in Ohio and I'll have him talk with my Uncle Rocco, and Mario. Minnesota deserves the super bowl ring, not LA.

DemonicViking
11-27-2004, 01:45 PM
I'd prefer to see them stay in Minnesota, but I would remain a fan, unless they messed with the uniforms and changed the team name like they did with the Browns when they moved to Baltimore. Don't mess with perfection.

VikesFan111
12-13-2004, 11:10 PM
I grew up in Florida but my whole family is from and grew up in Stillwater, MN. I have just grown up loving the Vikes and they would be my team even if they moved unless there was another franchise team in MN. I just like MN. I don't know. It would hurt bad. Hopefully Red just sells the team locally.

scorptile
12-14-2004, 12:23 PM
ive never been a vikings fan...but then again ive never been a packers fan....

ADubya26
12-14-2004, 02:15 PM
yeah the owner of the Wolves needs to buy the Vikes..that would be awesome

VKG4LFE
12-14-2004, 07:58 PM
Please Red sell the damn team to Glen Taylor!! (T-wolves owner)