PDA

View Full Version : Sundays Prediction Vikes VS Lions

XTAP59
11-20-2004, 11:24 AM
Vikes are at home and are mad as a hornets nest that has been shook up.
On defense, I see the Vikes blitzing relentlessly against Harrington. Pressure early to take him out of his rhythm.

On offense, Pep will go up top early and often. I believe he will throw 6 TD passes Sunday.

O Smith will get his 100 yards and catch two of Peps TD passes.

Special teams will be abysmal as usual. It will keep the lions hopes alive until Russell picks off not one but two interceptions.

Skol Viking 24 hours and 35 minutes to kickoff baby.....

RandyMoss8404
11-20-2004, 11:55 AM
Dre Bly would have to lay down and die for CPepp to throw 6 TDs

purplehorn
11-20-2004, 12:09 PM
"RandyMoss8404" wrote:

Dre Bly would have to lay down and die for CPepp to throw 6 TDs

Dre Bly can only cover one guy, not Wiggins, Campbell, Burleson, Smith
Williams etc... 6 tds are not out of the question.

Vikings 49
Lions 24

dan3ski
11-20-2004, 01:34 PM
wow 73 points in a game it might be true that there are not good defenses in the NFC, that does not bode well for a SB victory by the NFC.

purplehorn
11-20-2004, 01:38 PM
"dan3ski" wrote:

wow 73 points in a game it might be true that there are not good defenses in the NFC, that does not bode well for a SB victory by the NFC.

NFC wins if they score more points. Right from the book of Madden :)

JWalkRulz84
11-20-2004, 01:52 PM
i think it will be close in the first half. thats how the lions play most of their opponents and i think the vikes will step up with a big defensive play for a touchdown. maybe a corey chavous pick to the houe. that should spark a 34-17 victory for the vikes.

GreenBaySlackers
11-20-2004, 01:53 PM
i dunno about that

Atlanta has a good D
Philly has a good D

those are both potential SB contenenders

Teams that wont make the superbowl that have a good D

Seattle(sorta)
Chicago(sorta)

GreenBaySlackers
11-20-2004, 01:54 PM
"JWalkRulz84" wrote:

i think it will be close in the first half. thats how the lions play most of their opponents and i think the vikes will step up with a big defensive play for a touchdown. maybe a corey chavous pick to the houe. that should spark a 34-17 victory for the vikes.

WOW a pack fan said something good about the vikings defense!!

a sign of the apocalypse!

purplehorn
11-20-2004, 01:55 PM
"JWalkRulz84" wrote:

I like the way you think JWalk :thumbleft:

snowinapril
11-20-2004, 02:39 PM
"GreenBaySlackers" wrote:

"JWalkRulz84" wrote:

a sign of the apocalypse!

JWalk is cool! For a pack fan that is!

LOL

snowinapril
11-20-2004, 02:42 PM
I KNOW THIS IS GEARED TOWARDS FANTASY FOOTBALL

BUT THE TRENDS ARE THINGS TO CONSIDER.

Author: Paul Charchian

The Vikings' offense got back on track last week, and since they've averaged 29 points per game against Detroit since 2001, I project a strong fantasy game for the Purple, especially the running game. Teams have run effectively on Detroit of late, topping 127 rushing yards in 4 of the last 5 games. Plus, the Vikings have topped 110 rushing yards against Detroit in five straight meetings. And, if you needed more convincing, remember that unlike previous weeks, the Vikings shouldn't be operating from behind throughout the game. So, I love the running game this week...but which runner will prevail? Read on for the complete fantasy breakdown.

Quarterback

Daunte Culpepper: Oddly, Culpepper's track record against the Lions isn't as strong as one might think. He's topped 300 yards just once against Detroit, and hasn't thrown a touchdown pass in the last two meetings (although he got knocked out early in one of them). On the positive side of the ledger, he's run for six touchdowns in his last five games against Detroit. For the reasons mentioned above, the Vikings will be emphasizing the running game, so expect subdued numbers from Culpepper.

Running Back

Onterrio Smith: Don't overreact to the lack of action that Smith got last Sunday. Minnesota won't need to abandon the run this week, and Smith will get no less than half of the team's carries. Considering the difficulty Detroit has had stopping runners of late (Week 10: Fred Taylor, 144 yards; Week 9: Clinton Portis, 147 yards; Week 8: Eddie George 99 yards; Week 7: Tiki Barber, 102 yards), Smith should be able to near 100 total yards, and find a way to scrap for a touchdown, despite ceding carries to Michael Bennett.

Michael Bennett: Bennett was designated the starter last week, but playing from behind throughout, the running game was quickly abandoned. He'll see many more carries this week, but his track record against the Lions is a mixed bag. On the positive side, he's scored in each of his last three games against Detroit. On the downside, he's only averaged 61 yards per game against them. Touchdowns will be harder to come by this year, with Smith and Moe Williams around, but he'll garner enough carries to offer a chance for a score on a long run.

Mewelde Moore: His ankle (and ego) should be healed, but Moore appears to be entrenched as the teams third back, so barring a surprise, Moore is a desperation fantasy play.

Moe Williams: As the team's best pass blocking runner, Williams saw some extra game time last week. Against Detroit, Culpepper might throw half of the 44 passes he threw last Sunday, so Williams will need a goal line opportunity to be a fantasy factor.

Wide Receiver

Randy Moss: It's just as well that Moss is unlikely to play this week. For reasons that I'm at a loss to explain, Moss has failed to score on Detroit in five of the last six games. For most of Moss' career, Detroit's secondary has been miserable. Go figure. Even if he does manage to play, he'll likely be a far cry from 100%, and considering his track record, you'll probably need to be wary of starting him.

Nate Burleson: I don't usually brag, but I predicted a big game for Burleson in this space last week, and he came through. Although I like Burleson's chances of scoring more than any other Viking receiver this week, my confidence isn't nearly as strong as last week. Detroit has allowed just one Viking touchdown to wide receivers in the past three games. Plus, Dré Bly is back, and he'll cover the Vikings' best receiver; with Moss out, and Marcus Robinson silent the past few weeks, that guy might be Burleson.

Marcus Robinson: It looks like Robinson's role has been reduced to being the target of a couple of long balls each game, and a fade-route recipient in the end zone. That's not a lot of work (or yardage), but he's a very viable red zone target, so a jump-ball touchdown is still a possibility, especially against the Lions' diminutive (5'10") corners.

Tight End

Jermaine Wiggins: He's a major part of the Vikings' passing game, so you'll want to keep him in your lineup. Detroit is pretty stingy against opposing tight ends, but not enough that you should consider benching him.

Kicker

Morten Andersen: Seemingly, every week I'm finding new ways to explain why Andersen has a tough matchup. This week, the bad news comes in the form of Detroit's remarkable propensity to allow plenty of extra points (19 so far), and very few field goals (10). The Lions have only given up multiple field goals in two games. So, it looks like yet more single-pointers for the Dane. If Andersen reads this column regularly and ever finds himself in the same room as myself, there's going to be a showdown. Gunplay, perhaps.

Paul Charchian is the publisher of the world's most popular fantasy sports site, www.Fanball.com.

snowinapril
11-20-2004, 02:53 PM
Detuction from article:

Bly is tough on WRs and DC.
We will run more.
Detroit gives up more TDs than FGs, means long strikes for us from RBs (Bennett) and maybe one from DC to Campbell or Robinson.

XTAP59
11-20-2004, 04:54 PM
[quote="

a sign of the apocalypse![/quote]

I thought I heard four horses running wild......<grin>

LOTGK

packmanxxxi
11-20-2004, 06:06 PM
Detroit 24 Minn 14

TheAnimal93
11-20-2004, 06:25 PM
vikings should have the run of the field.
VIKINGS 35- LIONS 23

Caine
11-20-2004, 06:34 PM
It all depends upon which team shows up.

Detroit has some offensive firepower. If they show up, we could be in for a rough day. Our "D" hasn't really stepped on anyone other than Tennessee.

Our "O" has started slow for three weeks - well, 2 really. Against NY they never even started. Detroit, meanwhile, has a moderate defense. They can hurt us if we go in cocky.

I am HOPEFUL that our guys go in with some fire and tear the Lions up...but I'm not bettin' the farm on it.

Caine

SKOL
11-20-2004, 06:37 PM
"packmanxxxi" wrote:

Detroit 24 Minn 14

WHAT ??? I suppose if it was in Detroit you'd have the Lions winning by 20?

Houston 24 - Fudge Pack 14

dan3ski
11-20-2004, 06:54 PM
"purplehorn" wrote:

"dan3ski" wrote:

NFC wins if they score more points. Right from the book of Madden :)

Well all I can say is the Vikings scored 31 points last week and it was not enought. Defenses win championships!

packmanxxxi
11-20-2004, 09:50 PM
SKOL- no.... I seriously think you all are in denial. You are still talking up the Vikings as if they are the next coming of Christ and they've lost 3 in a row. And don't tell me they aren't thinking of last year. It may sound silly, but Hovans little tirad with the band last week was an indication of the frustrations of the team. I think Detroits offense will come to play and I think your offense will struggle with their ball control.

God forbid I pick against the Vikings vs. a division team!!!! I think you all need a dose of reality and whats happening to your team right now... your unravelling from the inside. If they do win, it doeant mean your beack in the right track either... you can deny it all you want... but it only makes in more painful in the end...

KansasStateViking
11-21-2004, 01:20 AM
Vikes 38
Lions 14

snowinapril
11-21-2004, 01:25 AM
Vikings 31
Lions 10

Packers 4
Texans 21

JWalkRulz84
11-21-2004, 02:01 AM
come on now, we all know the vikes have lost 3 in a row...one of which was a bad loss. that was to the g-men. second of all, the pack will score more than 4 points. third and most importantly, us packer fans need to stop bringing up what happened last year. last year, viking fans knew what was happening. they knew they were going to lose. this year IS different. this team will not melt down. they are too good of a team to pull that same shit. like i said before, the only 2 things that are stopping this viking team from becoming an elite team is that horrible linebacking corps and possibly one of the worst head coaches in the NFL. yes, the vikes will struggle in the first half. most teams have struggled against the lions in the first half of games this year. however, the vikes D will step up in the second half. i do believe kevin jones might have a good day, but most of his yards will come in the first half. it will be close in the first half, the vikes will pull away in the third and pour it on in the 4th. us packer fans can remain optimistic that this team will melt down, but i think of it realistically, this team is too talented. culpepper has come a long way since last season and is slowly becoming a leader.

Vikes 34
Lions 17

Pack 30
Texans 14

also, Caine, i recognized you're from janesville, WI...Im from Walworth. Im right in ur neighborhood pretty much.

hawaiianvike21
11-21-2004, 04:04 AM
"JWalkRulz84" wrote:

come on now, we all know the vikes have lost 3 in a row...one of which was a bad loss. that was to the g-men. second of all, the pack will score more than 4 points. third and most importantly, us packer fans need to stop bringing up what happened last year. last year, viking fans knew what was happening. they knew they were going to lose. this year IS different. this team will not melt down. they are too good of a team to pull that same shit. like i said before, the only 2 things that are stopping this viking team from becoming an elite team is that horrible linebacking corps and possibly one of the worst head coaches in the NFL. yes, the vikes will struggle in the first half. most teams have struggled against the lions in the first half of games this year. however, the vikes D will step up in the second half. i do believe kevin jones might have a good day, but most of his yards will come in the first half. it will be close in the first half, the vikes will pull away in the third and pour it on in the 4th. us packer fans can remain optimistic that this team will melt down, but i think of it realistically, this team is too talented. culpepper has come a long way since last season and is slowly becoming a leader.

Vikes 34
Lions 17

Pack 30
Texans 14

also, Caine, i recognized you're from janesville, WI...Im from Walworth. Im right in ur neighborhood pretty much.

wow youre the first packer fan to realistically admit that it would be too hard for us to melt down again for the second straight year. Also amazing is how you picked us to win big over the lions. I thought you would have picked the lions to win.

Anyway....

Vikes 38
Lions 20

silvermane
11-21-2004, 05:42 AM
the lions need turnovers and a big special teams play if they are going to win this one or just stay in it. some teams dont need those things to win but we do.

i like the matchup of hall against mckinnie. mckinnie has had problems the last two weeks and hall is another good pass rusher. i think our d-line gets pressure on daunte but has trouble stopping the vikes stable of runners.

i also like bly on burleson. bly has not played as well as last year because of his injury but i think he will finally get back into it this game against a vikings offense that is still working its way through not having moss.

but with az and streets injured and probably not playing, our passing game is screwed. i think kevin jones will have a good day, but it wont be enough if we are playing from behind which we probably will be.

the big question mark for us is of course harrington and how he will respond to all the criticism he has been getting lately. he has limited our play calling and his accuracy has been horrible. if he could just have a productive game like he did against houston we could stay in this game.

vikes 27
lions 16...a busy day for hanson

purplepat
11-21-2004, 07:54 AM
I can always hope the Vikings play better, but....

The Vikings always seem to keep it close in divisional games, regardless of the records of the two teams. Detroit's offense is as bad as the Vikings defense is bad. Detroit's defense is better this season, Vikings are just a tad off without Moss drawing double coverage every down. Here's hoping the Vikings special teams don't make Eddie Drummond look like this years' version of Dante Hall.

Vikings 27, Lions 23

DoubleDown11
11-21-2004, 09:25 AM
Vikes 31
Lions 17

Pacman- You do realize we have been without the best player in the NFL for the last 3 games, and have lost the last 2 games in the final seconds?

And as much as I would like to see the Packers lose tonight, I am a realist and figure the Packers to win 28-24.

JWalkRulz84
11-21-2004, 11:42 AM
i know you are without moss, but im sorry, he isnt the best player in the NFL

packmanxxxi
11-21-2004, 11:46 AM
Moss ISNT the best player in the NFL... but he is proving hes the most important player to his team in that MN is nothing without him.

A WR with a hamstring injusry will be hampered all season. I'm sorry, but MN is more done then a burnt steak...

XTAP59
11-21-2004, 03:26 PM
"XTAP59" wrote:

Vikes are at home and are mad as a hornets nest that has been shook up.
On defense, I see the Vikes blitzing relentlessly against Harrington. Pressure early to take him out of his rhythm.

On offense, Pep will go up top early and often. I believe he will throw 6 TD passes Sunday.

O Smith will get his 100 yards and catch two of Peps TD passes.

Special teams will be abysmal as usual. It will keep the lions hopes alive until Russell picks off not one but two interceptions.

Skol Viking 24 hours and 35 minutes to kickoff baby.....

Well, we did blitz a lot and got sacks from it.

Pep played great, even with the flu, but only threw 2 TD passes. But it was enough to win.

O. Smith had a couple good runs but came no where near 100 yards and did not catch any TD's.

Special teams were abysmal as usual. Spotted the Lions 7 points at kickoff.

Russell no INT's, but Winfiled had the game ender.

And, the Vikes won and are 6-4

SKOL VIKINGS

VKG4LFE
11-21-2004, 04:57 PM
"packmanxxxi" wrote:

Moss ISNT the best player in the NFL... but he is proving hes the most important player to his team in that MN is nothing without him.

A WR with a hamstring injusry will be hampered all season. I'm sorry, but MN is more done then a burnt steak...

If he's not the best, he's the best WR hands down!