PDA

View Full Version : Our Next Fullback: Owen Schmitt

Mr Anderson
09-22-2007, 09:48 AM
With Tony Richardsons career coming to an end, we need to look into the future and find someone who is going to block for our dynamic duo of running backs.

And who better than a guy who broke four facemasks last season and can power clean 525 pounds?(for those of you who don't know what that is, he's lifting 525 from the ground to his shoulder level explosively)
Power Clean:

http://www.exrx.net/WeightExercises/OlympicLifts/Clean.html

This guy I talk about it none other than Owen Schmitt of West Virginia University. The 6'3, 250 pound fullback who blocks for Steve Slaton and Pat White. And get this, when he has the ball he has never been stopped for a loss.

http://www.usatoday.com/sports/college/football/bigeast/2006-11-01-wvu-schmitt_x.htm

This dude is a straight-up monster. I'd love to see him in purple next season.

douginc
09-22-2007, 10:38 AM
"Mr" wrote:

With Tony Richardsons career coming to an end, we need to look into the future and find someone who is going to block for our dynamic duo of running backs.

And who better than a guy who broke four facemasks last season and can power clean 525 pounds?(for those of you who don't know what that is, he's lifting 525 from the ground to his shoulder level explosively)
Power Clean:

This guy I talk about it none other than Owen Schmitt of West Virginia University. The 6'3, 250 pound fullback who blocks for Steve Slaton and Pat White. And get this, when he has the ball he has never been stopped for a loss.

http://www.usatoday.com/sports/college/football/bigeast/2006-11-01-wvu-schmitt_x.htm

The Vikings NEED this guy.
They shouldn't want, or hope, they NEED to go for this guy in the draft next year.

The fullback is one of the most underrated position in the NFL - so many huge runs could have instead been no gains had there been no blocking fullback, or a terrible one (starts with the letter 'D').
Especially since we have two amazing running backs signed for many years, we could definitely use an equally impressive FB.

Oh, wait, all is well for the Vikes though.
Dugan is signed for many years.......I'm sure this new guy is nowhere near as strong as Dugan.

davike
09-22-2007, 10:45 AM
Yeah, I think he would look sexy in purple.

singersp
09-22-2007, 10:53 AM
I think Dugan does a fine job in that role so far. Also don't forget we also have Tahi.

We haven't seen enough of him on the field to make a judgement call right now, but I certainly wouldn't rule him out of the equation just yet.

Week 3 of the regular season & people are already looking forward to the 2008 draft.
:-

singersp
09-22-2007, 11:00 AM
"Mr" wrote:

........And get this, when he has the ball he has never been stopped for a loss.

There's a big difference between the college level of play & the pros.

I recall the Vikings signing an OL who never gave up a sack in college.

How many has he given up so far now?
;)

COJOMAY
09-22-2007, 11:09 AM
And who better than a guy who broke four facemasks last season
I hope he wasn't breaking them with helmet to helmet contact.

Mr Anderson
09-22-2007, 11:26 AM
"singersp" wrote:

I think Dugan does a fine job in that role so far. Also don't forget we also have Tahi.

We haven't seen enough of him on the field to make a judgement call right now, but I certainly wouldn't rule him out of the equation just yet.

Week 3 of the regular season & people are already looking forward to the 2008 draft.
:-\

My friend who goes to WVU sent me the article, and I was impressed, so I posted it.

525 power clean is ridiculous, the olympic record is 580.

So i don't care who we have already, I'd rather have this guy.

Mr Anderson
09-22-2007, 11:33 AM
"COJOMAY" wrote:

And who better than a guy who broke four facemasks last season
I hope he wasn't breaking them with helmet to helmet contact.

It's not helmet to helmet if you lead with the facemask, that means you have your head up and you're hitting how you're supposed to, remember, he's a fullback so he's blocking not tackling.

C Mac D
09-22-2007, 11:55 AM
"Mr" wrote:

Power Clean:

You've sold me. This guy sounds like a beast... let's draft him.

DaVizzles
09-22-2007, 12:02 PM
Draft him! I have seen him play many times and he is an absoulute monster! Him and AD for many years. Dugan is not the future FB of this team neither is Tahi. Draft Schmitt

singersp
09-22-2007, 12:57 PM
"Mr" wrote:

"singersp" wrote:

My friend who goes to WVU sent me the article, and I was impressed, so I posted it.

Just because a guy can lift 525 pounds doesn't mean he'll be a great football player. It just means he can lift 525 pounds.

Does Brock Lesnar ring a bell?

DaVizzles
09-22-2007, 01:01 PM
"singersp" wrote:

"Mr" wrote:

"singersp" wrote:

Just because a guy can lift 525 pounds doesn't mean he'll be a great football player. It just means he can lift 525 pounds.

Lol....Brock Lesnar! Back in the day i used to be a wrestling fan and i couldnt beleive he tryed out for the Vikings. What position did he play? Did any of you guys think he should make the team?

C Mac D
09-22-2007, 01:06 PM
"singersp" wrote:

"Mr" wrote:

"singersp" wrote:

Yeah, but
come on Singer... when he has the ball, he's never been stopped for a loss.

singersp
09-22-2007, 01:11 PM
"C" wrote:

"singersp" wrote:

"Mr" wrote:

"singersp" wrote:

Yeah, but

That's at the college level, what about what hre can do at the pro level?

Is Reggie Bush getting the kind of yards he did in college?

Is McKinnie still not allowing sacks?

Not being stopped for a loss simply means he an gain a yard consitantly. Although his college stats look decent. But then again, it's college, not pro ball.

Mr Anderson
09-22-2007, 11:44 PM
"singersp" wrote:

"C" wrote:

"singersp" wrote:

"Mr" wrote:

"singersp" wrote:

Yeah, but

Not being stopped for a loss simply means he an gain a yard consitantly. Although his college stats look decent. But then again, it's college, not pro ball.

He's not gonna be carrying the ball. I included the "never stopped for a loss" to show his power. He obviously loves contact(broken facemasks), blocks for the nation's best rushing attack, he's extremely powerful, and he plays top level college football, something Lesnar never did. He's a fullback, he won't handle the ball much, and there's no doubt in my mind he's going to be an amazing blocking fullback. Nothing says otherwise, or am I missing something?

cajunvike
09-22-2007, 11:52 PM
We could get Jacob Hester of LSU much cheaper...and he can run the ball with authority to boot!
Besides, he already looks good in purple and gold!

Freakout
09-23-2007, 12:07 AM
Schmitt also has 4.5 speed.
He is what a fullback is supposed to be.

VikingDane
09-23-2007, 04:41 AM
Just to pump the hype here is a Youtube spotlight on him:

http://youtube.com/watch?v=vCKuadDgiOo&mode=related&search=

vike68
09-23-2007, 06:46 AM
hes a beast.

COJOMAY
09-23-2007, 08:39 AM
No doubt Schmitt a beast and a great blocking fullback. And he will go high in the draft. But is that what this team needs right now?
RIGHT NOW, out biggest need is a couple of offensive linemen on the right side to protect our passer IMHO. After that possibly a QB depending on how TJ comes on. So I would guess that Schmitt will be long gone by the time the Vikes would be interested in drafing him.

Marrdro
09-23-2007, 10:03 AM
I like him.
Thanks Mr. A.

Additionally, Mr. A has hit on a bigger issue.
We really will need to take a look at the FB position in the draft or FA next year.

I know some of you have mentioned Dugan (Converted TE) and Tahi (A bit small for a FB) but I would challenge thier abilities.
This team's offense is severly degraded when T-rich doesn't play.
Maybe Dugan and Tahi aren't the answer.

I for one think they will use a pick next year on a guy.

Mr Anderson
09-23-2007, 10:15 AM
"COJOMAY" wrote:

No doubt Schmitt a beast and a great blocking fullback. And he will go high in the draft. But is that what this team needs right now?
RIGHT NOW, out biggest need is a couple of offensive linemen on the right side to protect our passer IMHO. After that possibly a QB depending on how TJ comes on. So I would guess that Schmitt will be long gone by the time the Vikes would be interested in drafing him.

How high do you honestly think he'll go?

I wouldn't take him in the first or second round where I want us to take a WR and lineman. But if he's around in the 3rd I say we snatch him up.

Marrdro
09-23-2007, 10:18 AM
"Mr" wrote:

"COJOMAY" wrote:

How high do you honestly think he'll go?

I wouldn't take him in the first or second round where I want us to take a WR and lineman. But if he's around in the 3rd I say we snatch him up.

Seems to me that a good FB will get taken higher than expected because they are so few and far between.
If he has the goods then he will go late first round early second IMHO.

singersp
09-23-2007, 10:22 AM
"COJOMAY" wrote:

Not necessarily. Childress has shown he will also take the best player available & not necessarily on need.

Prime example: AD

singersp
09-23-2007, 10:30 AM
"Mr" wrote:

"singersp" wrote:

"C" wrote:

"singersp" wrote:

"Mr" wrote:

Yeah, but

He's not gonna be carrying the ball. I included the "never stopped for a loss" to show his power. He obviously loves contact(broken facemasks), blocks for the nation's best rushing attack, he's extremely powerful, and he plays top level college football, something Lesnar never did. He's a fullback, he won't handle the ball much, and there's no doubt in my mind he's going to be an amazing blocking fullback. Nothing says otherwise, or am I missing something?

Don't get me wrong. He could be a beast or a bust. You were basing a lot of what you like about him based on how much he could lift. That does not determine how good of a player he will be. Not by a long shot.

I used Lesnar as a case & point. Strong athletic, but couldn't play worth a shit except on special teams.

Schmitt is definitely better, because he's playing good college ball right now. But again, the pro's are a lot different than college. That's why I used McKinnie as a case in point.

You mention he won't get the ball much. That's a down side. What makes Richardson so valuable & good besides his blocking ability is his ability to catch & run with ball as well.

PurpleTide
09-23-2007, 10:32 AM
"and Tahi (A bit small for a FB)".... Shoot, Marrdro he's listed as 252lbs, that's not too small. He's got tailback quickness, and is built low to the ground. Just needs to get that pass blocking part and he'll be a asset to the team.

Marrdro
09-23-2007, 11:06 AM
"PurpleTide" wrote:

"and Tahi (A bit small for a FB)".... Shoot, Marrdro he's listed as 252lbs, that's not too small. He's got tailback quickness, and is built low to the ground. Just needs to get that pass blocking part and he'll be a asset to the team.

I hear ya.
He is a bit short IMHO.
Additionally most scouting reports on him coming out had a knock on him that he was a tweener and not a very good lead blocker in space.

I think we could do better.

http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/draft/prospect?contentId=5527526&year=2006