PDA

View Full Version : Vikings have the last laugh over 2003 draft



singersp
09-13-2007, 06:46 AM
Vikings have the last laugh over 2003 draft (http://www.startribune.com/reusse/story/1419429.html)

The team's selection process might have been somewhat clumsy, but Minnesota made an astute choice in Kevin Williams.

By Patrick Reusse, Star Tribune

Last update: September 12, 2007 – 11:39 PM


In 2003, the Vikings had the seventh pick and they were focused on Kevin Williams, a defensive lineman from Oklahoma State. Unfortunately for scouting director Scott Studwell and coach Mike Tice, this was at a point when owner Red McCombs had become almost psychotic with his cheapness.....

Zeus
09-13-2007, 08:09 AM
"singersp" wrote:


Vikings have the last laugh over 2003 draft (http://www.startribune.com/reusse/story/1419429.html)

The team's selection process might have been somewhat clumsy, but Minnesota made an astute choice in Kevin Williams.

By Patrick Reusse, Star Tribune

Last update: September 12, 2007 – 11:39 PM


In 2003, the Vikings had the seventh pick and they were focused on Kevin Williams, a defensive lineman from Oklahoma State. Unfortunately for scouting director Scott Studwell and coach Mike Tice, this was at a point when owner Red McCombs had become almost psychotic with his cheapness.....


Yet another negative article from the goddamn local media!

A pox on ye!

=Z=

Billy Boy
09-13-2007, 09:59 AM
Gary Woods, McCombs' pencil pusher, was in the draft room, and kept ordering the Vikings to trade down, even as the 15 minutes elapsed. There was no trading partner to be found, and two teams made selections before the Vikings took Williams at No. 9.

This was satisfactory to McCombs, since he saved money, and to Studwell, Tice and Co., because they wound up with the player they wanted all along.


Holy crap.
And we thought they were all just idiots.

NodakPaul
09-13-2007, 12:28 PM
"Billy" wrote:



Gary Woods, McCombs' pencil pusher, was in the draft room, and kept ordering the Vikings to trade down, even as the 15 minutes elapsed. There was no trading partner to be found, and two teams made selections before the Vikings took Williams at No. 9.

This was satisfactory to McCombs, since he saved money, and to Studwell, Tice and Co., because they wound up with the player they wanted all along.


Holy crap.
And we thought they were all just idiots.


They were (except Studwell).
Just because it worked out well in the end doesn't take that away from them. :D

NodakPaul
09-13-2007, 12:32 PM
We're now 4½ years, an owner, a coach and two personnel directors removed from the Vikings making a late but very astute choice in the '03 first round, and Berman and his stooges still act as though this should be recalled as an embarrassment for the organization.

It happened two years in a row.
I think we still deserve some crap for that.

Billy Boy
09-13-2007, 12:44 PM
"NodakPaul" wrote:


"Billy" wrote:



Gary Woods, McCombs' pencil pusher, was in the draft room, and kept ordering the Vikings to trade down, even as the 15 minutes elapsed. There was no trading partner to be found, and two teams made selections before the Vikings took Williams at No. 9.

This was satisfactory to McCombs, since he saved money, and to Studwell, Tice and Co., because they wound up with the player they wanted all along.


Holy crap.
And we thought they were all just idiots.


They were (except Studwell).
Just because it worked out well in the end doesn't take that away from them. :D


Yeah they are still idiots for all the idiotic things they did, but at least now there's an explanation for the hillbilly lovefest that was called the 2003 Viking's draft.

marstc09
09-13-2007, 01:30 PM
It was embarassing but who cares we got one hell of a pick.

PurpleTide
09-13-2007, 01:38 PM
Sometimes you just stumble into the best deals. Kevin is a Beast, and Kitna's gonna find out real soon.

BloodyHorns82
09-13-2007, 01:46 PM
"Billy" wrote:



Gary Woods, McCombs' pencil pusher, was in the draft room, and kept ordering the Vikings to trade down, even as the 15 minutes elapsed. There was no trading partner to be found, and two teams made selections before the Vikings took Williams at No. 9.

This was satisfactory to McCombs, since he saved money, and to Studwell, Tice and Co., because they wound up with the player they wanted all along.


Holy crap.
And we thought they were all just idiots.


Just makes me appreciate Wilf all the more.

TARKenton
09-13-2007, 02:00 PM
We made out well On #93.

Keep up the good work K Will

thevikingfan
09-13-2007, 02:17 PM
1st of all Kevin williams is the best d-lineman on the team and willl be so for years to come

2nd of all i hate red mccombs and his cheap a$$

and lastly i am glad we have an owner who isnt afraid to spend money. go zigi!

vikingivan
09-13-2007, 09:30 PM
We were fortunate to get Kevin Williams.
No matter how many teams jumped in front of us.
I do recall Jacksonville jumping to the podium and selecting Byron Leftwich.
How did that work out for them?
Where is he now?