PDA

View Full Version : Vikings' Jackson is Mr. Composure

thevikingfan
09-12-2007, 12:22 AM
http://www.startribune.com/vikings/story/1416976.html

Coaches liked what they saw from Tarvaris Jackson, even when the young QB couldn't hear what they were saying.

davike
09-12-2007, 12:32 AM
Good to know that he can step up and be the leader, and it didn't sound like anyone questioned his leadership either. I have heard that he is the hardest working player on the team, if he keeps improving and addressing his problems like he should he will be a great QB.

Potus2028
09-12-2007, 01:07 AM
i think this is the best possible scenario we could all hope for.

a new qb is the hardest job to learn, and perform well. but i think we have all the ingridients necessary to make "the making of a qb" the easiest:

-an expereinced qb coach as the head coach -chili
-two powerhouse back -taylor and AP (he may be a rookie, but he'll take off pressure)
-dominant deffense that can score if necessary (all preseason, and twice already)
- you recievers that he can delvelop relationships with, no old WR's that are 'set in their ways'

i think TJack is the new franchise qb.. he's got all the ingridients

gregair13
09-12-2007, 01:30 AM
its only been one week gentlemen. take it easy on the love

thevikingfan
09-12-2007, 01:43 AM
Well i finally made it to 1000 posts...i wonder how much longer ill last without getting banned?

ColoradoViking
09-12-2007, 01:50 AM
"thevikingfan" wrote:

Well i finally made it to 1000 posts...i wonder how much longer ill last without getting banned?

Why, are you controversial? Like buttering the inside of a grilled cheese sandwich?

thevikingfan
09-12-2007, 01:53 AM
"ColoradoViking" wrote:

"thevikingfan" wrote:

Why, are you controversial? Like buttering the inside of a grilled cheese sandwich?

well ive had a couple run ins with ultra.......because of my article posting

ColoradoViking
09-12-2007, 01:58 AM
"thevikingfan" wrote:

"ColoradoViking" wrote:

"thevikingfan" wrote:

well ive had a couple run ins with ultra.......because of my article posting

Oh yeah.. I try to stay out of all that stuff. It's why my posts are under 200 still.. Everybodys always got a clean slate with me... mostly b/c my short term memory is so bad.

jkjuggalo
09-12-2007, 02:45 AM
I was also impressed w/ TJack's performance in the first game of the season.
Besides the rocket interception, he managed the game well and played field position, rather than forcing balls downfield.
The only other miscue I can think of now is the ball he threw to Rice that led him out of bounds.
Guaranteed he will be working on those sideline patterns in practice this week.

purplepat
09-12-2007, 08:54 AM
"jkjuggalo" wrote:

I was also impressed w/ TJack's performance in the first game of the season.
Besides the rocket interception, he managed the game well and played field position, rather than forcing balls downfield.
The only other miscue I can think of now is the ball he threw to Rice that led him out of bounds.
Guaranteed he will be working on those sideline patterns in practice this week.

I agree with this 100%.
My guess is that we'll see incremental improvent in TJack every week.
As you say, they were so close to that one...if he can fix that, that's a big chunk of offense to lay on one play, and the Vikings offensive numbers would have looked far better...just by fixing ONE thing!

Marrdro
09-12-2007, 08:59 AM
Very nice read indeed.

Kindof funny when you think about it.
Changing the plays without knowing it.
So much for the need to audible when he is just making stuff up. ;D

PurpleTide
09-12-2007, 09:07 AM
Tarvaris is our guy, and I see him taking big steps every week. We have the talent around him, and he just has to use all the skill players on this team. He's gonna hit a deep ball or two pretty soon, and against the lion's bad pass defense I see some explosive downfield plays this week.

Pound it with AD, and let it fly if they stack the box.

Prophet
09-12-2007, 09:12 AM
...Avoiding jitters has long been one of Childress' top criteria for quarterbacks. He describes the position's ideal personality as "flat-line." He has spoken often about the dangers of a young quarterback who comes to the sideline with a "wide-eyed look" that conveys a frazzled and/or panicked mental state.

Jackson, according to Childress, "has always been clear-eyed." Whereas a "wide-eyed" quarterback might struggle to focus on the sideline or have an inaccurate perception of the previous series...

Kerry Collins is famous for that 'deer in the headlights' look.

I'm sure enjoying watching this young team develop.

Zeus
09-12-2007, 10:35 AM
"thevikingfan" wrote:

Coaches liked what they saw from Tarvaris Jackson, even when the young QB couldn't hear what they were saying.

Goddamn that negative local media!

=Z=

Marrdro
09-12-2007, 10:48 AM
"Zeus" wrote:

"thevikingfan" wrote:

Goddamn that negative local media!

=Z=

My friend......
You even crack me up more after having met you.
;D

StillPurple
09-12-2007, 10:49 AM
Overall, I have to agree, and I have to say, Tarvaris did a good job. I did think he looked too "panicked" at times, but the result is, we won, and he didn't do anything really stupid to lose us the game, so I have to say, he did good.

I love the guy's arm strength. Obviously, a major NFL arm.

He kind of reminds me a bit of the young Doug Williams at times: firing a howitzer 10 yards that then bounces off the receiver's chest, etc. (but let's not forget where Doug Williams ended up, career-wise: with a Ring). I realize this is maybe not a good comparison. But it occurred to me at times in the game.

I like the way Tarvaris moves in the pocket. I think he has decent instincts and can feel the pressure.

If he learns to calm down and not rush his throws, he should be good.

cajunvike
09-12-2007, 10:55 AM
Slow and steady wins the race, baby!!!

Just LIMIT the mistakes and we will be in every game...and win most of them!

cajunvike
09-12-2007, 10:56 AM
"StillPurple" wrote:

Overall, I have to agree, and I have to say, Tarvaris did a good job. I did think he looked too "panicked" at times, but the result is, we won, and he didn't do anything really stupid to lose us the game, so I have to say, he did good.

He kind of reminds me a bit of the young Doug Williams at times: firing a howitzer 10 yards that then bounces off the receiver's chest, etc. (but let's not forget where Doug Williams ended up, career-wise: with a Ring). I realize this is maybe not a good comparison. But it occurred to me at times in the game.

I like the way Tarvaris moves in the pocket. I think he has decent instincts and can feel the pressure.

Don't forget Doug Williams played in the SWAC...how coincidental, so did TJack!

cajunvike
09-12-2007, 11:00 AM
"Potus2028" wrote:

a new qb is the hardest job to learn, and perform well. but i think we have all the ingridients necessary to make "the making of a qb" the easiest:

-two powerhouse back -taylor and AP (he may be a rookie, but he'll take off pressure)
-dominant deffense that can score if necessary (all preseason, and twice already)
- you recievers that he can delvelop relationships with, no old WR's that are 'set in their ways'

Good observations, POTUS....work on that spelling and grammar though.
:P

Marrdro
09-12-2007, 11:10 AM
"cajunvike" wrote:

"Potus2028" wrote:

Good observations, POTUS....work on that spelling and grammar though.

:P

I think under the new Chiller concept of Bevell getting to have more say with respect to play calling, I also assume that the QB coach is really the one teaching TJ and not so much the Chiller as some believe.

By the by.
Rogers is one hell of a coach. Who also has a pretty good understanding of this type of offense.

http://www.realfootball365.com/college/articles/2006/01/kevin-rogers-hokies120106.html
http://www.kffl.com/player/13544/NFL

Purple Floyd
09-12-2007, 01:09 PM
"cajunvike" wrote:

"StillPurple" wrote:

Don't forget Doug Williams played in the SWAC...how coincidental, so did TJack!

Good, I want every QB on our team to have the kind of career he was able to put together.

marstc09
09-12-2007, 01:29 PM
I think he has the ability to get over that "hump". So many QBs fail to reach this and I think Harrington is one of them. It is going to be fun watching him play. I just hope we pull off longer drives and score some more offensive TDs. It will come but with time and patience.
I see a lot of patience in him. He does not want to do it all at once which is what kills some QBs in this league. He shows command and definitly is composed. Good things to come my friends!

nephilimstorm
09-12-2007, 01:32 PM
Wow, I was amazed by TJack. I was amazed but also skeptical when it came to him. Skeptical that we traded 2 picks for the pick to get him when easily could have been found in the 3-4th round. Skeptical because Brady Quinn was available. Skeptical because he has a great arm but not the accuracy. All I got to say is, he can prove all the media wrong...and everyone else...and in one game nearly did so...

Big C
09-12-2007, 01:46 PM
I was also happy with TJs performance. The only issue I have with him is that most of his passes are high. It's been like that since pre-season. You will notice a lot of WR jumping or stretching to cath some of his passes.

I'm hoping that will change with his development. I have seen experienced QBs like Favre, Hasselback and Brady throw lower (especially on hook routes) so that only the WR can get it. High pass could eventually lead to tipped-interceptions.

I think it's also helping that the offense in general is clicking much better:
- Playcalling is better
- O-Line is holding it's ground
- Running game is picking up
- WRs are sure handed

TJ is the future. I like the guy a lot.

ejmat
09-12-2007, 01:51 PM
It's fun to see TJack develope.
There's still a lot to learn but I think he's handling things just fine.
I am a little worried about one of our WRs getting jacked up because of a high pass.
He needs to learn to get them down a little when he can.

Marrdro
09-12-2007, 02:04 PM
"Nephilim" wrote:

Wow, I was amazed by TJack. I was amazed but also skeptical when it came to him. Skeptical that we traded 2 picks for the pick to get him when easily could have been found in the 3-4th round. Skeptical because Brady Quinn was available. Skeptical because he has a great arm but not the accuracy. All I got to say is, he can prove all the media wrong...and everyone else...and in one game nearly did so...

Rememering of course several other teams were interested in him and the way the draft played out, I don't think he would have been available past the second round.....

Here is a quote from one of the several threads I've already posted this in.

Quarterbacks
1. Matt Leinart (USC) 10. Arizona

2. Vince Young (Texas) 3. Tennessee
3. Jay Cutler (Vanderbilt) 11. Denver (from St. Louis)
4. Kellen Clemens (Oregon) (49) N.Y. Jets (from Dallas)
5. Brodie Croyle (Alabama) (85) Kansas City
6. Omar Jacobs (Bowling Green) (164) Pittsburgh
7. Charlie Whitehurst (Clemson) (81) San Diego
8. Drew Olson (UCLA) Not Drafted
9. Tarvaris Jackson (Alabama State) 32. (64) Minnesota (from Pittsburgh)
10. Michael Robinson* (Penn State) (100) San Francisco
11. Reggie McNeal (Texas A&M) (193) Cincinnati
12. Darrell Hackney (UAB) Not Drafted
13. Bruce Gradkowski (Toledo) (194) Tampa Bay (from New York Giants)
14,. Travis Lulay (Montana State) Not Drafted
15. Paul Pinegar (Fresno State) Not Drafted
16. Brett Basanez (Northwestern) Not Drafted
17. D.J. Shockley (Georgia) (223) Atlanta
18. Erik Meyer (Eastern Washington) Not Drafted
19. Josh Betts (Miami of Ohio) Not Drafted
20. Brad Smith* (Missouri) (103) New York Jets
Ingle Martin, QB Furman Not Ranked (148) Green Bay (from Atlanta)

If memory servers we:

a.
Tried to move up for Cutler.
Cost to much
b.
Targeted Clemens,
OOPS, NYJ took him.
c.
We still needed a QB.

Who then fit the system the best?

Brodie Croyle (Alabama) (85) Kansas City

Omar Jacobs (Bowling Green) (164) Pittsburgh
Charlie Whitehurst (Clemson) (81) San Diego
Drew Olson (UCLA) Not Drafted

Come on.
Gimme a break.
Was he really that big of a reach considering how it all played out?

Desertvikingfan
09-12-2007, 02:23 PM
"Marrdro" wrote:

"Nephilim" wrote:

Rememering of course several other teams were interested in him and the way the draft played out, I don't think he would have been available past the second round.....

Here is a quote from one of the several threads I've already posted this in.

Quarterbacks
1. Matt Leinart (USC) 10. Arizona

2. Vince Young (Texas) 3. Tennessee
3. Jay Cutler (Vanderbilt) 11. Denver (from St. Louis)
4. Kellen Clemens (Oregon) (49) N.Y. Jets (from Dallas)
5. Brodie Croyle (Alabama) (85) Kansas City
6. Omar Jacobs (Bowling Green) (164) Pittsburgh
7. Charlie Whitehurst (Clemson) (81) San Diego
8. Drew Olson (UCLA) Not Drafted
9. Tarvaris Jackson (Alabama State) 32. (64) Minnesota (from Pittsburgh)
10. Michael Robinson* (Penn State) (100) San Francisco
11. Reggie McNeal (Texas A&M) (193) Cincinnati
12. Darrell Hackney (UAB) Not Drafted
13. Bruce Gradkowski (Toledo) (194) Tampa Bay (from New York Giants)
14,. Travis Lulay (Montana State) Not Drafted
15. Paul Pinegar (Fresno State) Not Drafted
16. Brett Basanez (Northwestern) Not Drafted
17. D.J. Shockley (Georgia) (223) Atlanta
18. Erik Meyer (Eastern Washington) Not Drafted
19. Josh Betts (Miami of Ohio) Not Drafted
20. Brad Smith* (Missouri) (103) New York Jets
Ingle Martin, QB Furman Not Ranked (148) Green Bay (from Atlanta)

If memory servers we:

a.
Tried to move up for Cutler.
Cost to much
b.
Targeted Clemens,
OOPS, NYJ took him.
c.
We still needed a QB.

Who then fit the system the best?

Brodie Croyle (Alabama) (85) Kansas City

Omar Jacobs (Bowling Green) (164) Pittsburgh
Charlie Whitehurst (Clemson) (81) San Diego
Drew Olson (UCLA) Not Drafted

Come on.
Gimme a break.
Was he really that big of a reach considering how it all played out?

Watch out or PHOD will hijack this thread.
One game is just one game. Some good some bad. I think Childress is just "accent-u-ating the positive" Let's look at compusure after the Bears game.

C Mac D
09-12-2007, 02:44 PM
"Desertvikingfan" wrote:

Watch out or PHOD will hijack this thread.
One game is just one game. Some good some bad. I think Childress is just "accent-u-ating the positive" Let's look at compusure after the Bears game.
[/quote]

I will be watching the Bears' composure while they're crying on the sideline