PDA

View Full Version : Official Post Game comments and Observations



ultravikingfan
09-09-2007, 12:53 PM
Let it fly folks!

It may have not been pretty, but we got the job done!

Way to go D, AD, and KW!
About time we beat the Falcons!

ultravikingfan
09-09-2007, 02:37 PM
I cannot wait to sit down tonight and watch the game on DVD!
Even better knowing we won this bastage!

Garland Greene
09-09-2007, 02:41 PM
Well If the D plays like this this all year we will be in good shape. Finally nice to see a Defense that dominates.

Garland Greene
09-09-2007, 02:46 PM
Nice to se Chilly run up to udezee and give him a big congratz after his sack.

El Vikingo
09-09-2007, 02:47 PM
Give this defense credit,man!!

FuadFan
09-09-2007, 02:52 PM
What a great game AD already making his case to get more carries then Taylor and be the ROY and five sacks by the defensive lineman
while the offense didn't give up any sacks.

SKOL VIKINGS!!

COJOMAY
09-09-2007, 02:56 PM
GRADING:
Defense overall - A+
Rush defense - A
Secondary defense B+
Offensive Overall - B
Offense Running - A
Pass receiving - B-
Quarterback Skills - C
Special teams: B+

I missed the 1st Q. of the game but overall a good first outing. The two weak spots coming in, QB and pass receiving still need some work but overall a good effort and a WIN!

KRob18
09-09-2007, 02:57 PM
how about kenechi! first sack in a year!

Mr-holland
09-09-2007, 02:58 PM
from nfl.com :

Joey Harrington just completed a pass, but it was to Minnesota DB Antoine Winfield. The veteran cornerback ran it back for the Vikes' second defensive touchdown.

Gotte love that

CaptainKirk
09-09-2007, 03:02 PM
Great game, but when the O begins to out score the D then we'll have a SB bound team.

Braddock
09-09-2007, 03:02 PM
I think a C for T-Jack is harsh. B- yeah, but not a C. We've all been saying how we don't expect TJ to be great, just to manage the game. That's exactly what he did. The int was a weird one, and it was HIS fault, not Shiancoe, I understand that. However, he stayed in the pocket, made good reads, and ran only when he needed/had the clear route for a first. He's a second-year guy being asked to lead a great team :). You have to give him more credit than a C.


WR's impressed me today. Wade's? drop with that Falcon DB all over him looked more like a fumble to me than an incomplete, but he was covered really well.

There isn't enough you can say about that defense, espec the line (Robison too!!)

AD gets the game ball though (already voted in the other thread). He is lights out.

It's going to be a good year fellow fans. Not a perfect season, not always pretty, but a good solid year. Let's hope Chester comes back soon.

triedandtruevikesfan
09-09-2007, 03:04 PM
Hell of a way to start the season!!!


AP is a beast, and BIG MAN KEVIN!!!


Absolutely proud that we held them to 3 points.

PurplePeopleEaters
09-09-2007, 03:06 PM
Tarvaris was sloppy but got the job done. I feel like we would have won by a lot more had Chester played the entire game.

Adrian had a great game.. Good job finding the holes and a great big play despite bobbling the ball a bit. Glad to have the big play back in Minnesota.

The Offensive line did pretty well. The right side impressed me for the most part despite Hicks' penalty. Didn't allow too much pressure and the run blocking was good.

Receivers did fine. Couldn't really ask more of them.. they caught the ball well when it was thrown to them.

Defensive line was stellar. What more can you say. Edwards applying the pressure, Williams with the Pick 6, Robison with 2 sacks in his first start, Udeze FINALLY breaking that sackless streak from last year.

Linebackers were good as well. EJ with 2 sacks, Greenway playing well along with Leber.

Secondary looked pretty good. Nothing spectacular out of them but they did their job well and 'Toine had the nice INT for touchdown.

Special teams looked awesome compared to preseason. I loved Farwell, Kluwe, and Longwell's play.

Overall great win. Let's get ready for some real competition coming up next week.

COJOMAY
09-09-2007, 03:06 PM
I think a C for T-Jack is harsh. B- yeah, but not a C.
Basing it simply upon some throws that were way off target or over the wrong shoulder and some stupid things he did like the over the shoulder throw out of bounds and holding the ball too long in some situations.
Overall TJ managed the game fairly well but he still has some learning to do to be a top flight NFL QB.
And ya, I was a bit harsh but he still needs to grow. I took my Purple glasses off with those grades.

AngloVike
09-09-2007, 03:08 PM
Good game by the guys and well worth the result. Top marks to the D for keeping Harrington and the Falcons in check all game. The one thing I did like to see was the swarming D with defenders backing up the initial tackler.

Well done to AP for taking on the full load for the game - he didn't disappoint and showed why he was worth picking up.

TJack had a reasonable game, made a couple of mistakes which he got away with but hopefully will add to his experience. He would have had slightly better stats if a couple of passes - which were catchable - had been held onto by the WRs but not a bad job of managing the game.

WRs/TE - showed promise and made some good catches. Shiancoe had more involvement than I expected but did ok.

ST's - big improvement over the pre-season efforts. Lets hope this continues to get better.

Overall good game and something to build on for the season ;D

Braddock
09-09-2007, 03:09 PM
"COJOMAY" wrote:



I think a C for T-Jack is harsh. B- yeah, but not a C.
Basing it simply upon some throws that were way off target or over the wrong shoulder and some stupid things he did like the over the shoulder throw out of bounds and holding the ball too long in some situations.
Overall TJ managed the game fairly well but he still has some learning to do to be a top flight NFL QB.
And ya, I was a bit harsh but he still needs to grow. I took my Purple glasses off with those grades.


I honestly don't think he'll get there in one year. However, I see your points. forgot about the over the shoulder thing... But as far as the secondary defense, I'd bump them into A- maaaaaaybe A score. All those sacks were caused by the secondary not giving Harrington anything and making him hold onto the ball.

gregair13
09-09-2007, 03:10 PM
only think i didnt really like some some of the play calling throughout the game and not always being able to get off the field on 3rd downs. against good teams, not being able to score until later, and not getting off the field on 3rd downs is going to hurt us.

jackson was good, but not great. he did miss some throws, but a couple of those deep balls he threw looked soooo good. obviously AD was there all day and was basiclly unstoppable. the def was solid and kluwe was really good.

oo another thing was the kick return game. we have to have a better option than wade

minnesota
09-09-2007, 03:17 PM
good job by the defense today, but I don't expect our passing D to be that good all the time. Wait till we play a team with a real QB.

Benet
09-09-2007, 03:26 PM
It was preached but not practiced last year, but this game shows the evolution of the quality of play in the trenches. We got a consistent pass-rush on defense, with exemplary play from the Williams pair, Brian Robison and Ray Edwards. The offensive line didn't give up a sack, while a couple were saved by quick thinking from TJ by throwing the ball away; there was no backside pursuit on running plays, and aside from Birk's uncharacteristic bad-snap out of the shotgun, you can't say a bad word about the lines.

Ltrey33
09-09-2007, 03:30 PM
We looked very solid today.

AD played great in Chester's stead....and we will have to wait one more week (maybe two?) to see how that duo will work together, but Peterson had a tremendous game. I thought I was watching Eric Dickerson out there.

Tarvaris played well, but made some dumb mistakes. That's alright though....he doesn't look lost. He's make the "young quarterback" errors (the wild throwaway and the wrong shoulder throw), but he doesn't
look lost. He's decisive in his decision making and looks comfortable out there for the most part.

The o-line played very well too for most of the day.

The defense....well....I don't think I need to write anything about the D.

duvaldomo
09-09-2007, 03:47 PM
The 2 main things we was scared about-

1) Udeze got a sack, a last minute sack but hey he got there.

2) Willamson caught 2, drop 0. We was all worried about him, I think he will do great this year.

Crunchem
09-09-2007, 03:51 PM
Defense: Played like animals...concerned about the deep comeback they could not cover that if their lives depended on it.

Offense: T-jack played ok didn't do anything to lose but would of been nice to go deep a couple times to really open the fun game up.
All Day played like an animal if he stays healthy teams are going to be sweating him all year.
Receivers didn't do bad at all.
Overall a little to conservative for me but a good first game to build confidence.

Ohhhh...and my god...was that really our special teams?
They actually looked like they new what they were doing!

V-Unit
09-09-2007, 03:55 PM
Offense
Coaching:
We stuck to the run and it worked the entire game. TJ was allowed to take some shots, but nothing worked with respect to the deep ball, which I expected. We did see some early trickery with the double reverse. I also liked lining Peterson up out wide and running the sweep the other way.

Quarterback:
TJ played pretty much like we expected him to. He has a rocket arm and gets the ball to his receiver easily when he sees an open man. He rarely ran and made smart decisions, except for that forced throw that led to the INT and the over the shoulder toss, which scared for a second. Otherwise I was impressed by his ability to manage and not turn the ball over. He still needs to work on looking off defenders, and he still needs to work on accuracy with the deep ball.

RB:
Real unfortunate Taylor went down, you can't complain about his play up to this point though. AD was every we need and more. Solid running all day long. Powerful running all day long. Of course, he also gave the big play which the offense sorely needed. I love how we stuck to the run for the entire game.

WR/TE:
I certainly cannot complain about their play. We are getting open consistently and I saw very little missed oppurtunities. For Shiancoe to make that grab on the INT would have been miraculous, and Rice was almost in on that sideline grab. Williamson had the defender beaten but was overthrown. If we get those three plays Jackson is 16/23, wow. Wade's drop was good coverage. Overall they played well, but still are not scaring anybody.

OL:
No sacks. 139 yards rushing. 1 penalty. Enough said.

I'll give the offense a B-. We still need to show the ability to put long scoring drives together.

Defense
Coaching:
Boy did we blitz a lot! Safeties, CB's, it didn't matter. I think our passing game suffered a bit because of that but the gameplan was clearly to pressure Harrington and not get beat deep. Looked like Frazier wanted to force the short routes and that is exactly what happened.

DL:
We looked good against run even though Atlanta did not give up on it. With respect to the pass the D brought the rush in a big way. Robison earned a lot of future playing time. Nice to see Udeze get that sack. Why do people try to run between the tackles on us?

LB:
These guys were filling gaps all day long. There is still room for improvement in pass coverage. Greenway was in on 10 tackles. Wow. I like the hustle overall by this unit and the DBs as well.

DB: I can't say enough about our safety play. We never got beat deep and they helped to put pressure on Harrington when blitzing. Sharper was also flying in on running plays as were Winfield and Griffin. Speaking of Winfield, did they ever throw his way? Oh yeah on the INT. Speaking of Griffin, looks like it is going to take more than Harrington and Roddy White to "expose" him. He let some receptions, but they were always in front of him and he made some good tackles. McCauley was also solid at nickleback.

I thought we showed good tackling and good hustle on D. We made the Falcons look inept.

Special Teams:
Amazing coverage! Farwell Rocks! Longwell kicked so well on kickoffs that only one word popped into my head: Steroids. Seriously, how do you add ten yards to your kicks in a week like that? It was nice to see the ball flying that far everytime. With respect to returns, get Wade off of punt returns, get AD off of kick returns, and get Williamson off kick returns as well.

Overall I'm happy about that win. The question now is can we expect to have a team that relies so heavily on the big play?

renovikesfan
09-09-2007, 03:58 PM
Some observations.....

1)
I think Tarvaris did the RIGHT thing with that crazy over-the-shoulder throwaway.
It would have been a big loss of yards otherwise, and I couldn't help but smile afterwards thinking of the stiff arm he gave the pass rusher before he finally went down.
Also, it seems to me that if some of his shots downfield had been to the middle, rather than the sidelines, we'd have won by even more.

2)
Our 3rd down Defense HAS to get better.
If Joey freaking Harrington is converting almost at will on us, it makes me shudder to think what'll happen when we go against upper echelon QBs.

3)
Other than the 3rd downs.....our Defense is looking like record-breakers (the good kind).
I was sooo hoping for a shut-out, but I don't think I'll be waiting long.
Just curious...anyone know what the season record is for points scored by a Defense?

4)
All Day lived up to his nickname today.
My wife and I were some pretty proud fans sporting his jersey at the sports bar.
DAMN, that was a great TD he made!!!
Could've been just a busted play, but his focus and speed turned it into 6.

5)
Watching the games with my Chiefs fan supervisor was great...LOL

[size=20pt]1-0size]

COJOMAY
09-09-2007, 04:03 PM
I thought our pass defense played off too far on the comeback patterns which were compleded several times on them. That's why I graded the secondary down a bit.

Overlord
09-09-2007, 04:08 PM
I disagree with everyone that thinks the INT was Tarvaris' fault.
Shank had stopped his route and the ball hit him in the hands.
He should have caught it, not popped it up in the air.
Ball could have been placed better, but that was not a bad throw scrambling to the left.

I also think the long toss to Rice that was out of bounds could have been better, but the ball was there and Rice needs to stay in bounds.


In general I thought Tarvaris looked like a solid NFL QB, and our receivers looked pretty bad.
They did make a few good catches, but too many that could have been caught hit the ground.

i was also disappointed with the conservative play calling on 4th down.
If we have 4th and 2 on the forty, I'd like to see us go for it.
That said, the special teams did a great job pinning them deep so that those punts weren't wasted touchbacks.

No need to talk in detail about how great our D was today, but go ahead and check out the drive chart on ESPN or somewhere else, and see how many of the Falcons drives made it into the redzone.

vike68
09-09-2007, 04:11 PM
"Overlord" wrote:


I disagree with everyone that thinks the INT was Tarvaris' fault.
Shank had stopped his route and the ball hit him in the hands.
He should have caught it, not popped it up in the air.
Ball could have been placed better, but that was not a bad throw scrambling to the left.

I also think the long toss to Rice that was out of bounds could have been better, but the ball was there and Rice needs to stay in bounds.


In general I thought Tarvaris looked like a solid NFL QB, and our receivers looked pretty bad.
They did make a few good catches, but too many that could have been caught hit the ground.

i was also disappointed with the conservative play calling on 4th down.
If we have 4th and 2 on the forty, I'd like to see us go for it.
That said, the special teams did a great job pinning them deep so that those punts weren't wasted touchbacks.

No need to talk in detail about how great our D was today, but go ahead and check out the drive chart on ESPN or somewhere else, and see how many of the Falcons drives made it into the redzone.



i didnt read the entire thread so im not sure if someone commented on this, but that interception was most definetly his fault, he waited far to long to release the pass, than when he did release it, he threw it behind him and left him out theyre to get nailed if they felt like it, so he basically threw a bad pass and gave the defense a shot at wacking our reciever.

tavaris had his moment, but he overthrew one pass, and than when rice was wide open, he threw at his back sholder rather than giving him a proper opportunity to make the catch. tavaris has some work to do, in order to make himself a proper NFL qb. but he has the potential

midgensa
09-09-2007, 04:11 PM
Simply put this could not have went a whole lot better. T-Jack's INT was kind of a fluky thing ... and probably should have been caught. Tarvaris looked posied and calm even if he did not hit on much down the field. T-Will caught a ball and took a pop and HELD ON ... which is great to see. But the highlight of the day is obviously the DEFENSE!
This unit is the reason we will be able to stay in ball games. I know it was the hapless Falcons, but we still did everything right on the defensive side of the ball. The corners could play a little tighter to stop the comeback routes ... but we are opportunistic and we are getting to the QB ... which is not a fluke. Robison provides a huge pass-rushing boost and I think he will the majority of the year.
I am excited to see us pound the kitties next week ... and go on to face and offense as bad as Atlanta's right now when we head to KC in two weeks.

marcosMN
09-09-2007, 04:15 PM
Woooooooo-hoooooooooo!

Skol Vikes!

How about that first-round draft pick... Oh, what's his name...

bono
09-09-2007, 04:19 PM
Congrats on the win, Viking-lover friends!
Looks like my predictions are coming true!

lakehubertviking
09-09-2007, 04:22 PM
"bono" wrote:


Congrats on the win, Viking-lover friends!
Looks like my predictions are coming true!


Thanks.
Not sure about this one though. :)


Look for the Atlanta Falcons to be "contenders" w/o Mr. Vick this coming season.

lakehubertviking
09-09-2007, 04:24 PM
"SnoBumMN" wrote:



How about that first-round draft pick... Oh, what's his name...


Ummmm, Kevin Williams? No no no, Udeze?
Greenway?

Or do you mean that new running back guy?

arrested_developer
09-09-2007, 04:39 PM
"lakehubertviking" wrote:


"SnoBumMN" wrote:



How about that first-round draft pick... Oh, what's his name...


Ummmm, Kevin Williams? No no no, Udeze?
Greenway?

Or do you mean that new running back guy?


Are you talking about that Peterman dude?

V-Unit
09-09-2007, 04:40 PM
The highlights are up on nfl.com now.

BBQ Platypus
09-09-2007, 04:49 PM
My brother (an Eagles fan) had predicted (somewhat jokingly) an 0-16 season for us this year.
As soon as the clock ran down, I pointed right at him and shouted "IN YOUR FACE!
WE WON A GAME, BEEYOTCH!!!"

lakehubertviking
09-09-2007, 04:59 PM
"BBQ" wrote:


My brother (an Eagles fan) had predicted (somewhat jokingly) an 0-16 season for us this year.

They (the Eagles) still have a shot at it though. :)

michaelmazid
09-09-2007, 05:12 PM
did anyone see brad childress run on the field and congratulate eduze for getting that sack?

What the hell was that all about? it was the most emotion i have ever seen brad show.

marcosMN
09-09-2007, 05:16 PM
"lakehubertviking" wrote:


"BBQ" wrote:


My brother (an Eagles fan) had predicted (somewhat jokingly) an 0-16 season for us this year.

They still have a shot at it though.


Um...

How are they supposed to go 0-16 when they already have 1 win?!

Prophet
09-09-2007, 05:18 PM
Where are the Falcons fans that were saying we should give Joey Harrington more credit?
Joey played his A game today, just what was to be expected.
I wonder if Ron Mexico enjoyed watching the game with his brown eye duct taped?

marcosMN
09-09-2007, 05:20 PM
BTW, Zygi came by the tailgate and sang "Skol vikings" with us...

http://i173.photobucket.com/albums/w41/SnoBumMN/0909070914.jpg

Prophet
09-09-2007, 05:21 PM
"SnoBumMN" wrote:


BTW, Zygi came by the tailgate and sang "Skol vikings" with us...

http://i173.photobucket.com/albums/w41/SnoBumMN/0909070914.jpg


Nice. lmao.

cogitans
09-09-2007, 05:24 PM
"SnoBumMN" wrote:


BTW, Zygi came by the tailgate and sang "Skol vikings" with us...

http://i173.photobucket.com/albums/w41/SnoBumMN/0909070914.jpg


That's fun. Did he tell you we'd win the Superbowl

marcosMN
09-09-2007, 05:25 PM
"cogitans" wrote:


"SnoBumMN" wrote:


BTW, Zygi came by the tailgate and sang "Skol vikings" with us...

http://i173.photobucket.com/albums/w41/SnoBumMN/0909070914.jpg


That's fun. Did he tell you we'd win the Superbowl


Yes, actually.

cogitans
09-09-2007, 05:28 PM
"SnoBumMN" wrote:


"cogitans" wrote:


"SnoBumMN" wrote:


BTW, Zygi came by the tailgate and sang "Skol vikings" with us...

http://i173.photobucket.com/albums/w41/SnoBumMN/0909070914.jpg


That's fun. Did he tell you we'd win the Superbowl


Yes, actually.


Wonderful. He's an official oracle too, right?
:D

gregair13
09-09-2007, 05:30 PM
he could be an oracle. he has lots of money

Braddock
09-09-2007, 05:31 PM
"SnoBumMN" wrote:


"lakehubertviking" wrote:


"BBQ" wrote:


My brother (an Eagles fan) had predicted (somewhat jokingly) an 0-16 season for us this year.

They still have a shot at it though.


Um...

How are they supposed to go 0-16 when they already have 1 win?!



??? they don't. he was referring to the Eagles.

Braddock
09-09-2007, 05:32 PM
"michaelmazid" wrote:


did anyone see brad childress run on the field and congratulate eduze for getting that sack?

What the hell was that all about? it was the most emotion i have ever seen brad show.


He's different this season. A lot more comfortable with the players. A lot better relationships. I like what I see.

marcosMN
09-09-2007, 05:40 PM
"Braddock" wrote:


"SnoBumMN" wrote:


"lakehubertviking" wrote:


"BBQ" wrote:


My brother (an Eagles fan) had predicted (somewhat jokingly) an 0-16 season for us this year.

They still have a shot at it though.


Um...

How are they supposed to go 0-16 when they already have 1 win?!



??? they don't. he was referring to the Eagles.


Good form.

A single unspecific pronoun referring to one of two subjects in a sentence gets me every time.

Prophet
09-09-2007, 05:43 PM
"SnoBumMN" wrote:


"Braddock" wrote:


"SnoBumMN" wrote:


"lakehubertviking" wrote:


"BBQ" wrote:


My brother (an Eagles fan) had predicted (somewhat jokingly) an 0-16 season for us this year.

They still have a shot at it though.


Um...

How are they supposed to go 0-16 when they already have 1 win?!



??? they don't. he was referring to the Eagles.


Good form.

A single unspecific pronoun referring to one of two subjects in a sentence gets me every time.


I may have to re-think using pp.o as my source for improving my grammar.

lakehubertviking
09-09-2007, 05:45 PM
"SnoBumMN" wrote:


BTW, Zygi came by the tailgate and sang "Skol vikings" with us...

http://i173.photobucket.com/albums/w41/SnoBumMN/0909070914.jpg


Give him a black hat and he could be in the Blues Brothers.

CCthebest
09-09-2007, 07:45 PM
Hmm we were all watching the same game? TJ looked horrible, he was only on target for a few throws, the rest were good catches. He stared down every single receiver he did throw to, the over the shoulder throw away reminded me of playing football when i was 9. The INT was entirely his fault, how can you possibly blame the receiver? Go back and look at it. He is so raw.

The D looked great. Robinson as a 3rd down rusher will give us a few sacks. As will the LBs. Not so sure about the other lineman though. Nice to see somewhat of a pass rush but on 3rd downs we stunk. Gotta love a D that scores more then the O can. Doesnt say much for the O tho.

Special teams looked good overall.

AD is awesome. Hope chester is ok

Twill didnt have a drop.

Vikes_King
09-09-2007, 07:49 PM
1 down, 15 to go

C Mac D
09-09-2007, 07:56 PM
"CCthebest" wrote:


Hmm we were all watching the same game? TJ looked horrible, he was only on target for a few throws, the rest were good catches. He stared down every single receiver he did throw to, the over the shoulder throw away reminded me of playing football when i was 9. The INT was entirely his fault, how can you possibly blame the receiver? Go back and look at it. He is so raw.

The D looked great. Robinson as a 3rd down rusher will give us a few sacks. As will the LBs. Not so sure about the other lineman though. Nice to see somewhat of a pass rush but on 3rd downs we stunk. Gotta love a D that scores more then the O can. Doesnt say much for the O tho.

Special teams looked good overall.

AD is awesome. Hope chester is ok

Twill didnt have a drop.


Hmm... not really sure... were you watching the same game? I saw a quarterback commanding a game... successfully at that. Sure, there were some off passes, but what.. isn't T-Jack 22 or 23 years old?

Listen, take your negativity elsewhere... for today, we won... BIG TIME.

T-Jack looked great. AD looked great. Lets take the "W".

Shouldn't you be wearing a Farve jersey?

mr.woo
09-09-2007, 07:56 PM
i thoguht tjack did all right. maybe i just see in shades of purple. i was definitly impressed by the play of the entire team this week.

gregair13
09-09-2007, 07:57 PM
t jack showed flashes of brilliance. thats all we can ask for at this point.

CCthebest
09-09-2007, 08:00 PM
Id only be wearing a farve jersey as a dipper. Unlike you with it hanging over your bed.

TJ was ok at best. Saying any more is just silly. Our D and running game won this game. Im happy as hell we have them caus we can win games with just that. Hopefully TJ matures fast.

nephilimstorm
09-09-2007, 08:02 PM
I love it when the Vikings win and People still jump around on TJACK or whomever. I am a TJack naysayer, always have been and everyone on here will say I am. But darn it he proved to me today he can be a vocal leader and he did very very well...So the rest of PPO may ask what Freaking game where you watching???

DaVizzles
09-09-2007, 08:05 PM
"CCthebest" wrote:


Hmm we were all watching the same game? TJ looked horrible, he was only on target for a few throws, the rest were good catches. He stared down every single receiver he did throw to, the over the shoulder throw away reminded me of playing football when i was 9. The INT was entirely his fault, how can you possibly blame the receiver? Go back and look at it. He is so raw.

The D looked great. Robinson as a 3rd down rusher will give us a few sacks. As will the LBs. Not so sure about the other lineman though. Nice to see somewhat of a pass rush but on 3rd downs we stunk. Gotta love a D that scores more then the O can. Doesnt say much for the O tho.

Special teams looked good overall.

AD is awesome. Hope chester is ok

Twill didnt have a drop.


I wouldnt go that far he didnt look horrible, he didnt look great but not horrible. He played well for the most part only 1 turnover which was a lucky catch by DeAngelo. He moved out of the pocket really well and played smart. He did have one bonehead mistake when he tossed it over his shoulder out of bounds...nothing happend but he should not do that anymore bad things can happen.

C Mac D
09-09-2007, 08:05 PM
"CCthebest" wrote:


Id only be wearing a farve jersey as a dipper. Unlike you with it hanging over your bed.

TJ was ok at best. Saying any more is just silly. Our D and running game won this game. Im happy as hell we have them caus we can win games with just that. Hopefully TJ matures fast.


Honestly, that joke is about as clever as a 4-year-old.

He looked a lot better than many other "experienced" QB's in the league... (ie- Green, Losman, McNabb) but no big deal... You specialize in being negative... and you are a vikings fan (?)... anyways, I thought our team looked great for a fresh new team.


SKOL!!!

Overlord
09-09-2007, 08:11 PM
"CCthebest" wrote:


Hmm we were all watching the same game? TJ looked horrible, he was only on target for a few throws, the rest were good catches. He stared down every single receiver he did throw to, the over the shoulder throw away reminded me of playing football when i was 9. The INT was entirely his fault, how can you possibly blame the receiver? Go back and look at it. He is so raw.


I did go back and
look at it.
The quality wasn't very good, but here's what I got out of it:
-there was a defender between Tarvaris and Shank to the left.
If Tarvaris had thrown the ball in front of Shank that guy would have been able to knock it down/pick it off.
-Some people are saying that Tarvaris should have thrown earlier, but it was a playaction that called for him to turn his back to the play and roll out.
Also, there were three or four defenders playing a zone underneath the crossing route that Shank ran, and it took him time to run through the middle of that coverage.
Shank wasn't deep enough to throw it over the top.
-Shank had pretty much stopped his momentum by the time the ball got there, so that his body wasn't moving in the opposite direction of his hands.
-The ball hit Shank in the hands.
When the ball hits you in the hands, catch the ball.
-The interception was made 15 yards downfield.
If Shank doesn't touch it, it's incomplete.
Even if you think the pass wasn't great, it was not a risky/INT throw.


This is one of three plays that demonstrates to me that our receivers aren't very good and Tarvaris is actually okay.
The other two were Wade dropping a perfectly thrown pass on a short out (with a defender all over him), and the last was Rice not able to stay inbounds on the deep sideline pass (wrong shoulder or not, there was space).

I'm not saying that Tarvaris is Hall of Fame material based on this game, but playing QB and making decent throws is really hard.
Catching it is easier.
At least, there are more guys out there that can do a decent job of it.
If the QB gets it there, the receivers need to catch it.
Three or four drives killed a game because of dropped passes is going to hurt you pretty bad.

CCthebest
09-09-2007, 08:14 PM
I specialize in being realistic. TJ had an ok game at best against a bad D. Making him out to be a hero is absurd. But he did alot better then I thought he would. Hopefully when we play a real D he only has 1 int...

C Mac D
09-09-2007, 08:17 PM
"CCthebest" wrote:


U specialize in being realistic. TJ had an ok game at best against a bad D. Making him out to be a hero is absurd. But he did alot better then I thought he would. Hopefully when we play a real D he only has 1 int...


Thats funny... did anyone use the word "Hero"? All I remember is you saying he looked "Horrible".

Funny, you sure changed your tone.

I'll worry about a "real D" when one comes along. For now... GO VIKINGS!!!!

CCthebest
09-09-2007, 08:22 PM
How did i change my tone? I still think he did horrible. A GREAT CATCH by AD gave TJ most of his stats. At least he didnt loose the game for us, which was what i thought he might do before the game.

LuckyVike
09-09-2007, 08:26 PM
"CCthebest" wrote:


How did i change my tone? I still think he did horrible. A GREAT CATCH by AD gave TJ most of his stats. At least he didnt loose the game for us, which was what i thought he might do before the game.


Great catch?
We must've seen different games.

C Mac D
09-09-2007, 08:27 PM
"CCthebest" wrote:


How did i change my tone? I still think he did horrible. A GREAT CATCH by AD gave TJ most of his stats. At least he didnt loose the game for us, which was what i thought he might do before the game.


You went from saying T-Jack looked "Horrible" to saying he looked "OK at best"... It's still a big difference, and a change of tone.

You know what he looked like? Maybe a 23 year-old quarterback who was only starting his 3rd pro game after coming out of a D-II school?

I loved K Williams touchdown... I bet no one bet he would get our first touchdown of the year.

umaguma1979
09-09-2007, 08:30 PM
I think TJ is the biggest question mark right now.
He missed some wide open receivers today which seems to be a little uncharacteristic for him.

Big C
09-09-2007, 08:33 PM
I think TJ did well. I just wanted him to not cause any turnovers and move the chains a bit. I was very encouraged to see the offense adjust after half-time and gel and give the D a bit of a breather. I'm sure he will improve over the year. He looked a hell of a lot better than his starts last year :)

The D was awesome.

Sidney Rice is the real deal. The man has amazing adjustment when the ball is in the air. I was truly impressed.

V4L
09-09-2007, 08:44 PM
Yah it wasn't a great catch.. It was delievered perfect.. He just bobbled it..

T-jack did well managing the offense.. Which is what we want.. Our game is running.. He just needs to move the chains sometimes and not turn the ball over

He will get better.. Our wide recievers weren't really getting open.. We had a few drops too which will look bad on the numbers

We were just doin the dink and dunk passes so his stats wont be amazing..
In the second quarter we took some shots to test him out.. He will get it down through out the year.. Remember it was our first game.. And his 3rd start... Give him some time to get in passing mode..

We have all new WR's almost.. Wade, Rice, Allison..

And AP was a stud.. Im glad we got him as a back up wow

thevikingfan
09-09-2007, 08:45 PM
Here is my breakdown.

Defense

The run defense seems to be in last years form with the exception of a few runs by jerius norwood

The pass defense was pretty darn good considering that everyone said joey was going to spread our d out and beat us with his arm.Te result? 2 picks 2 tds

Pass rush.

Besides AD The pass rush was the best thing about this game.Kwill,Scott,Henderson,Udeze let me repeat that........UDEZE! All got sacks.O and some guy named robison got 2 :P in total 6 sacks.Go D!!!!!

Rushing Offense.Well we all knew that we had a good rushing attack but with chester going down it was nice to see AD rum 19 times for 103 yards (over 5 yards a carry)

Offensive line.I give them and A+ Not only did we not allow a single sack but Also let the way for a combined 139 Yards rushing

Qb
I dont know what everyone esle is saying about tjack but i think he did good considering that he was blitzed all day.Sure He missed that pass to twill down the sideline early in the game that would have been a td.And he threw a bad pass that was deflected for an int.But he made the play when he needed to.He had 2 guy in his face and he stood and waited for ap to get some seperation.The rest as they say Is history

Special teams.This unit did much better than most thought.I didnt see a single long return and i saw kluwe pin the falcons by their 10 a couple times.Coverage was superb.Good Job

Pleasant Surprise of the day?
4 Penalties 35 yards ( one was intentional in the 4th quarter to run time off the clock) so 3 penalties 30 yards.Big iMprovement since last year when we averaged almost 8Penalties a game.

The bad

Defense 14
Offense 10

Definatly need to score more offensive Tds but hey if the D wants to score a few td im not going to stop them.

Good Game
Good D
Go AD

Skol Vikes

gregair13
09-09-2007, 08:45 PM
winning week one is the first step to a perfect season

C Mac D
09-09-2007, 08:48 PM
[quote author=V4L link=topic=37610.msg633787#msg633787 date=1189388663]
Yah it wasn't a great catch.. It was delievered perfect.. He just bobbled it..

T-jack did well managing the offense.. Which is what we want.. Our game is running.. He just needs to move the chains sometimes and not turn the ball over

He will get better.. Our wide recievers weren't really getting open.. We had a few drops too which will look bad on the numbers

We were just doin the dink and dunk passes so his stats wont be amazing..
In the second quarter we took some shots to test him out.. He will get it down through out the year.. Remember it was our first game.. And his 3rd start... Give him some time to get in passing mode..

We have all new WR's almost.. Wade, Rice, Allison..

And AP was a stud.. Im glad we got him as a back up wow


[/quote

Pretty sure thats the idea of a West Coast Offense (short passes and an effective running game).

I agree though... AP looked like a stud.

Prophet
09-09-2007, 10:31 PM
"CCthebest" wrote:


I specialize in being realistic...

That was one of the funniest things I have ever read on pp.o.
Kudos to you.

There are so many previous posts to prove that statement wrong that it would be overkill to post them all.
Here's one that was fun:


It really doesnt matter who our QB backup is, because the OLine cant pass protect. When the regular season starts, they will be blitzing every other play i bet. And our OLine cant even pass protect with just 4 D linemen rushing. Until thats fixed it wouldnt matter if we had Manning as our QB.

You have to admit that you are very pessimistic.
There are many on this site that look at the team critically.
To say that you specialize in being realistic is laughable.
Go back to your free agent comments where you conveniently disappeared when people addressed the issues you brought up.

The Vikings won and Tarvaris was green like everyone knew.
He played well for the stage of his development.
We have yet to see if he continues to develop and become a top notch starter or if he falls into mediocrity or if he falls into the CFL or making mexican pizzas for Taco Bell.

vike68
09-09-2007, 10:39 PM
"Prophet" wrote:


"CCthebest" wrote:


I specialize in being realistic...

That was one of the funniest things I have ever read on pp.o.
Kudos to you.

There are so many previous posts to prove that statement wrong that it would be overkill to post them all.
Here's one that was fun:


It really doesnt matter who our QB backup is, because the OLine cant pass protect. When the regular season starts, they will be blitzing every other play i bet. And our OLine cant even pass protect with just 4 D linemen rushing. Until thats fixed it wouldnt matter if we had Manning as our QB.

You have to admit that you are very pessimistic.
There are many on this site that look at the team critically.
To say that you specialize in being realistic is laughable.
Go back to your free agent comments where you conveniently disappeared when people addressed the issues you brought up.

The Vikings won and Tarvaris was green like everyone knew.
He played well for the stage of his development.
We have yet to see if he continues to develop and become a top notch starter or if he falls into mediocrity or if he falls into the CFL or making mexican pizzas for Taco Bell.



i think he should admit that he doesnt understand football what so ever, about 9/10 posts ive read by him are absolutly wrong. i think we should enroll him in Viking Football 101

snowinapril
09-09-2007, 10:46 PM
"Garland" wrote:


Nice to se Chilly run up to udezee and give him a big congratz after his sack.


I am glad someone mentioned this on the first page.


It wasn't just Chilly, it was a ton of players and a few coaches.
I thought that this was a good sign on the spirit of the team.
It looks like a team effort.
Others were concerned for Udeze's situation and genuinely want him to succeed.

The monkey is off Udeze's back.

Hopefully he can get another one soon.

Robison has twice as many as Udeze at this point.
I was really happy with all the rookies.

Overall, the D line played well.
We will have to play a few games to really get a feel for how they are playing.

Back to the ROOKS!
Rice laid that block for AP.
AP played great, got his first TD and 100 yd game in the first career game.
McCauley, Allison, Robison and AP all made contributions to a solid effort for a W today.

vike68
09-09-2007, 10:50 PM
mccauley impressed me tons, he gave up a few plays under when playing soft coverage, but this kid has a big future in minnesota i believe. griffen better step his game up

thevikingfan
09-09-2007, 11:12 PM
"vike68" wrote:


mccauley impressed me tons, he gave up a few plays under when playing soft coverage, but this kid has a big future in minnesota i believe. griffen better step his game up


I think griffin did pretty good i saw him in on a bunch of tackles

vike68
09-09-2007, 11:14 PM
im worried about griffen, i thought really highly of him after last season. but he had poor coverage in the preseason and tons of missed tackles. i didnt see him to much tonight, i saw marcus in more

thevikingfan
09-09-2007, 11:36 PM
"vike68" wrote:


im worried about griffen, i thought really highly of him after last season. but he had poor coverage in the preseason and tons of missed tackles. i didnt see him to much tonight, i saw marcus in more


Griffin led the team in tackles this game with 7 i will watch the game again and tell you if he had bad coverage thoughout the game or not

ThorSPL
09-09-2007, 11:44 PM
It's usually a good sign when you don't hear a cornerback's name called...

I thought Griffin had a good game...actually all 3 of our CB's did.
We left the comebacks open but they're almost always open given that coverage.

douginc
09-09-2007, 11:45 PM
"snowinapril" wrote:


"Garland" wrote:


Nice to se Chilly run up to udezee and give him a big congratz after his sack.


I am glad someone mentioned this on the first page.


It wasn't just Chilly, it was a ton of players and a few coaches.
I thought that this was a good sign on the spirit of the team.
It looks like a team effort.
Others were concerned for Udeze's situation and genuinely want him to succeed.

The monkey is off Udeze's back.

Hopefully he can get another one soon.

Robison has twice as many as Udeze at this point.
I was really happy with all the rookies.

Overall, the D line played well.
We will have to play a few games to really get a feel for how they are playing.

Back to the ROOKS!
Rice laid that block for AP.
AP played great, got his first TD and 100 yd game in the first career game.
McCauley, Allison, Robison and AP all made contributions to a solid effort for a W today.


Great post - sums up pretty much everything I was thinking about the game.

TJ did what Brad Johnson was supposed to do last year (I still like Brad - it just didn't go well for him) and that's manage the game.
We beat the Falcons by 3 touchdowns.
And during the whole game TJ ensured that he wouldn't give the Dirty Birds any chances to get back in the game by fumbling/throwing picks.
TJ can only get better with more reps, starts, and experience.
This kid looks very polished for only being a second year guy who has been thrown to the wolves.

Also - Sidney Rice is VERY impressive for a rookie.
I admit, I was miffed when we passed on Dwayne Jarret in the draft, but Sid the Kid has done nothing but prove himself with every opportunity.
He had a tough block on Atlanta's top corner DeAngelo Hall, and he handled it perfectly, leading to AP's touchdown.
He also has very good body positioning and reaction to the ball when it's in the air.
I'm very excited to watch him play.

(PS - Robison is a beast and we'll all have to argue at the end of the year who was a bigger steal - him or McCaulley)

singersp
09-09-2007, 11:51 PM
They came...........We kicked their ass.............They left.

V-Unit
09-09-2007, 11:53 PM
"douginc" wrote:


"snowinapril" wrote:


"Garland" wrote:


Nice to se Chilly run up to udezee and give him a big congratz after his sack.


I am glad someone mentioned this on the first page.


It wasn't just Chilly, it was a ton of players and a few coaches.
I thought that this was a good sign on the spirit of the team.
It looks like a team effort.
Others were concerned for Udeze's situation and genuinely want him to succeed.

The monkey is off Udeze's back.

Hopefully he can get another one soon.

Robison has twice as many as Udeze at this point.
I was really happy with all the rookies.

Overall, the D line played well.
We will have to play a few games to really get a feel for how they are playing.

Back to the ROOKS!
Rice laid that block for AP.
AP played great, got his first TD and 100 yd game in the first career game.
McCauley, Allison, Robison and AP all made contributions to a solid effort for a W today.


Great post - sums up pretty much everything I was thinking about the game.

TJ did what Brad Johnson was supposed to do last year (I still like Brad - it just didn't go well for him) and that's manage the game.
We beat the Falcons by 3 touchdowns.
And during the whole game TJ ensured that he wouldn't give the Dirty Birds any chances to get back in the game by fumbling/throwing picks.
TJ can only get better with more reps, starts, and experience.
This kid looks very polished for only being a second year guy who has been thrown to the wolves.

Also - Sidney Rice is VERY impressive for a rookie.
I admit, I was miffed when we passed on Dwayne Jarret in the draft, but Sid the Kid has done nothing but prove himself with every opportunity.
He had a tough block on Atlanta's top corner DeAngelo Hall, and he handled it perfectly, leading to AP's touchdown.
He also has very good body positioning and reaction to the ball when it's in the air.
I'm very excited to watch him play.

(PS - Robison is a beast and we'll all have to argue at the end of the year who was a bigger steal - him or McCaulley)

That will be a great argument to have. I'm looking forward to it.

RK.
09-09-2007, 11:54 PM
We were only a 3pt favorite going into the game.
I think our D was underestimated.
It will be interesting to see how far up in the power rankings we move this week.
;D

happy camper
09-09-2007, 11:57 PM
Here is the thing about the Jackson haters. I can see the future.

They will disregard every game he does good in, including today.

When he plays amazing, they will say he did good. But will still point out a couple of bad passes and/or bad decision.

When he sucks in one game, they will use that as complete evidence at Jackson's inability to lead a pro style offense.

Its not realistic when you put all your stock in only the questionable or semi questionable plays TJ makes.

snowinapril
09-10-2007, 12:06 AM
"douginc" wrote:


"snowinapril" wrote:


"Garland" wrote:


Nice to se Chilly run up to udezee and give him a big congratz after his sack.


I am glad someone mentioned this on the first page.


It wasn't just Chilly, it was a ton of players and a few coaches.
I thought that this was a good sign on the spirit of the team.
It looks like a team effort.
Others were concerned for Udeze's situation and genuinely want him to succeed.

The monkey is off Udeze's back.

Hopefully he can get another one soon.

Robison has twice as many as Udeze at this point.
I was really happy with all the rookies.

Overall, the D line played well.
We will have to play a few games to really get a feel for how they are playing.

Back to the ROOKS!
Rice laid that block for AP.
AP played great, got his first TD and 100 yd game in the first career game.
McCauley, Allison, Robison and AP all made contributions to a solid effort for a W today.


Great post - sums up pretty much everything I was thinking about the game.

TJ did what Brad Johnson was supposed to do last year (I still like Brad - it just didn't go well for him) and that's manage the game.
We beat the Falcons by 3 touchdowns.
And during the whole game TJ ensured that he wouldn't give the Dirty Birds any chances to get back in the game by fumbling/throwing picks.
TJ can only get better with more reps, starts, and experience.
This kid looks very polished for only being a second year guy who has been thrown to the wolves.

Also - Sidney Rice is VERY impressive for a rookie.
I admit, I was miffed when we passed on Dwayne Jarret in the draft, but Sid the Kid has done nothing but prove himself with every opportunity.
He had a tough block on Atlanta's top corner DeAngelo Hall, and he handled it perfectly, leading to AP's touchdown.
He also has very good body positioning and reaction to the ball when it's in the air.
I'm very excited to watch him play.

(PS - Robison is a beast and we'll all have to argue at the end of the year who was a bigger steal - him or McCaulley)


I am happy with TJs first game of the season.
Still some areas of concern.
He did throw one INT, yes it was a tipped ball, but it wasn't placed in the best spot for the TE to catch it, and he could have put touch on it instead of rocketing it at that short range.
He needs to get better timing on the deep ball.
TW had his man beat and TJ put it 3 yards to far down field.
But overall, I think you are right he did manage the game well.


Yes, it was like the BJ performances when the D was winning games for us when DC went down.
Our D dictated this game.
If we weren't so opportunistic, this game may have had a different outcome.
I say that because we were having a difficult time proving that we could march down the field and score.

Without those D TDs, we could have ended up 3-10 and the only TD would have been a long play from AP.
It is great to get the long play, can't discount it for what it was, great..... But, we are living with the extremes, big plays.

digital420
09-10-2007, 01:56 AM
GREAT GAME!!

our D is amazing.. all over the field.. all over the ball.
we played some soft coverage, but never broke down!!!

our running game is FULL ON!!

our WR's can catch!!!

our QB can manage a game without loosing his head or the ball

our OL/DL is where the battle is being WON!!

i just hope that we keep this up, cause then we'll be turning in that SB performance sooner then thoght

DiGiTaL

AngloVike
09-10-2007, 02:33 AM
"RK." wrote:


We were only a 3pt favorite going into the game.
I think our D was underestimated.
It will be interesting to see how far up in the power rankings we move this week.
;D


knowing how fickle the Power rankings can be then probably not very much. They'll point to a lot of our score coming from the D and not the offense, plus we were playing Atlanta who are in 'turmoil' after Vick's demise. Basically they'll try to avoid giving the Vikes credit for a good win.
Personally I try not to read too much into them

digital420
09-10-2007, 03:10 AM
HAHAHA you guys HAVE 2 see this!!

http://boards.atlantafalcons.com/index.php?showtopic=267978

DiGiTaL

cogitans
09-10-2007, 03:15 AM
"digital420" wrote:


HAHAHA you guys HAVE 2 see this!!

http://boards.atlantafalcons.com/index.php?showtopic=267978

DiGiTaL


Wonderful.

'Please tell me we're the ones in the purple uniforms...'

Priceless
:D

El Vikingo
09-10-2007, 04:34 AM
Nuff said in this topic about our game today.Working on Monday is not so bad with a good W,period.
Calvin Johnson ,There we go!!!!!!!!. :o

CCthebest
09-10-2007, 09:25 AM
I doubt there are any TJ 'haters' here. Usually when someone hates a qb is because they want to see a backup playing. I highly doubt anyone wants to see either of our backups ever playing.

TJ went froming throwing the ball over the shoulder like some circus act, to missing the most wide open WR he may ever see, to throwing a perfect strike across the middle to wade. Hopefully Detroits D isnt much better then atlantas and TJ can get 2 wins under his belt early. I really like seeing childress talking to him on the sidelines like he did. A good reality check for a raw QB.

V-Unit
09-10-2007, 10:38 AM
I was just talking to my boss, who went to OU, about Peterson's bobble before the TD. He said at OU they NEVER threw to him. 24 cataches in 3 years. Misuse of talent? No, he was horrible catching out of the backfield in college, dropping a lot of sure catches.

Just some food for thought.

howln4u
09-10-2007, 10:43 AM
"V" wrote:


I was just talking to my boss, who went to OU, about Peterson's bobble before the TD. He said at OU they NEVER threw to him. 24 cataches in 3 years. Misuse of talent? No, he was horrible catching out of the backfield in college, dropping a lot of sure catches.

Just some food for thought.


I bet that play was for Taylor because he has the better hands but being hurt early the play was changed to Peterson (IMO).

Zeus
09-10-2007, 10:47 AM
"V" wrote:


I was just talking to my boss, who went to OU, about Peterson's bobble before the TD. He said at OU they NEVER threw to him. 24 cataches in 3 years. Misuse of talent? No, he was horrible catching out of the backfield in college, dropping a lot of sure catches.

Just some food for thought.


That's in contradiction to what the coaches were saying last week in the STrib.

=Z=

marstc09
09-10-2007, 03:55 PM
"Duffy15" wrote:


how about kenechi! first sack in a year!


Did you see chilly give him a big huge right after that.

vikeswin2005
09-10-2007, 04:36 PM
I just heard on the radio that neither team had a possesion that started in the red-zone, I never even thought of that
:o :o :o

BloodyHorns82
09-10-2007, 04:40 PM
"marstc09" wrote:


"Duffy15" wrote:


how about kenechi! first sack in a year!


Did you see chilly give him a big huge right after that.


A big huge what?
:o

snowinapril
09-10-2007, 04:42 PM
"vikeswin2005" wrote:


I just heard on the radio that neither team had a possesion that started in the red-zone, I never even thought of that
:o :o :o



Ended up in or ran a play from inside of the Red Zone, that might be true.

Drive charts:
http://www.nfl.com/gamecenter/drivechart?game_id=29201&displayPage=tab_drive_chart&season=2007&week=REG1

Yep, neither team ran a play from inside the other teams 20 yard line.
AP ran through it on the TD LOL!

jargomcfargo
09-10-2007, 05:45 PM
Just a few observations.
I want to give Frazier some credit. (I can't believe people are criticizing the defense that held the opponent to 3 points).
We needed pressure and got it. What Frazier is doing with the defensive line is incredible. He rotates everyone and changes positions along the line. He had lineups that have never been used before. One time Pat Williams was the left defensive end on 3rd down. It didn't work so well. But Robison played on both ends. Scott played end and tackle.And the platooning of defensive personel kept them fresh. I think 3 of the six sacks came in the 4th quarter on the last two drives.
Frazier substitutes McCauley for Leber a lot, on potential passing downs.
Kevin Williams had a monster day. So did EJ. Many others played very well.
Smith had a touchdown saving tackle.Winfield had 6 tackles in addition to his td pick. Greenway had 7 tackles as did Griffin who played better than most expected.

The offense was pretty conservative in the first half.
Atlanta defense often had 8 men on the line of scrimmage with 2 guys within 3 to 5 yards of the line of scrimmage, and one guy back in the middle about 15 yards, by the time the Vikings snapped the ball. That's 10 men in the box.
The Vikings ran pretty well despite that.

Tarvaris struggled some but showed pretty good decision making.
Those that think he shouldn't have thrown the ball out of bounds when he was being tackled are mistaken. There was no chance of interception and there is no longer an 'in the grasp rule'. He saved a substantial loss. He was running that way and saw no defender over there before he was spun around and threw it. It didn't look smooth. But it was another good decision.

Passing Statistics
NAME CMP ATT YDS CMP% YDS/A LNG TD TD% INT INT% SACK YDS RAT
Tarvaris Jackson 13 23 163 56.5 7.09 60 1 4.3 1 4.3 0 0 75.1

Passing stats aren't great but I will take them over Harringtons.

The second half the offensive coordinator opened up the field with a double pump bomb to Williamson that was overthrown. That overthrow was criticized. But it wasn't short. Long is always better than short. Williamson was loping a little when he ran by his man but I don't think he could have got to it.
But it opened up the play underneath later on where Williamson went long and Wade came across underneath. Great call. Great pass.
It also made them not stack the box as tightly on defense.
TJ and the passing game improved once they let him attempt a long pass; even though it was unsuccessful.

The ball Wade dropped was right in front of me. He caught it but the defender knocked it out of his hands.

Allison played little but caught a key third down conversion.

Peterson not only scored a touchdown, he probably saved one when he hustled back to recover the bad snap by Birk.

Other than the bad snap and a hold, Birk had a whale of a game. I've been critical of him. But he had a probowl effort.
The o-line as a whole were pretty good.

My seat was on the fifty yard line 29 rows up behind the Vikings bench.
The team appeared to be fired up and wanting a win the whole game.
When it was obvious the Vikings had the win, Phat Pat was going down the sidelines shaking hands with everyone and hugging players and coaches alike.

I liked what I saw.

I think this team is now playing like a team.

Tarvaris shows his inexperience. It's to be expected.
But he also shows improvement. Every qb makes bad throws. He also made some good throws.
Don't discount the things he does right. He'll improve as he gains experience.
And the Vikings will improve with him.

V-Unit
09-10-2007, 05:54 PM
"Zeus" wrote:


"V" wrote:


I was just talking to my boss, who went to OU, about Peterson's bobble before the TD. He said at OU they NEVER threw to him. 24 cataches in 3 years. Misuse of talent? No, he was horrible catching out of the backfield in college, dropping a lot of sure catches.

Just some food for thought.


That's in contradiction to what the coaches were saying last week in the STrib.

=Z=


Yep.

It either means that AD has improved that part of his game, or that the coaches have trouble evaluating talent.

Braddock
09-10-2007, 05:56 PM
"V" wrote:


"Zeus" wrote:


"V" wrote:


I was just talking to my boss, who went to OU, about Peterson's bobble before the TD. He said at OU they NEVER threw to him. 24 cataches in 3 years. Misuse of talent? No, he was horrible catching out of the backfield in college, dropping a lot of sure catches.

Just some food for thought.


That's in contradiction to what the coaches were saying last week in the STrib.

=Z=


Yep.

It either means that AD has improved that part of his game, or that the coaches have trouble evaluating talent.



It may be just me, or has AD made a case (not "proved") the former rather than the latter.

digital420
09-11-2007, 02:54 AM
"Braddock" wrote:


"V" wrote:


"Zeus" wrote:


"V" wrote:


I was just talking to my boss, who went to OU, about Peterson's bobble before the TD. He said at OU they NEVER threw to him. 24 cataches in 3 years. Misuse of talent? No, he was horrible catching out of the backfield in college, dropping a lot of sure catches.

Just some food for thought.


That's in contradiction to what the coaches were saying last week in the STrib.

=Z=


Yep.

It either means that AD has improved that part of his game, or that the coaches have trouble evaluating talent.

He caught 1 pass... I luv AD as much as any1 else.. but lets see when he finishes with 1.3k rushing yards and 550 receiving yards..
;D :D ;D



DiGiTaL


It may be just me, or has AD made a case (not "proved") the former rather than the latter.