PDA

View Full Version : Who says it's all downhill for the Purple?

singersp
09-07-2007, 07:28 AM
Patrick Reusse: Who says it's all downhill for the Purple? (http://www.startribune.com/reusse/story/1405751.html)

Nay-sayers seem to think this year's Vikings might be headed for disaster. But with a soft schedule and a strong group of defensive players, only minimal competence is required from the offense for a winning campaign.

By Patrick Reusse, Star Tribune
Last update: September 06, 2007 – 7:58 PM

There were sizable crowds and much optimism when the Vikings arrived in Mankato for a training camp a year ago. This carried over to the days before the regular-season opener against Washington.....

PurpleTide
09-07-2007, 08:21 AM
This is the most realistic prediction I've seen all preseason. Finally a little love shown our way.

Marrdro
09-07-2007, 08:26 AM
I am pleasantly suprised.
:o

Very nice read.

vikingivan
09-07-2007, 11:20 AM
Great read.
I have to go with Reusse on his schedule prediction.
We should be able to go 4-0.
Going into the bye week.
That would be a great start.

COJOMAY
09-07-2007, 11:26 AM
"PurpleTide" wrote:

This is the most realistic prediction I've seen all preseason. Finally a little love shown our way.

A little love???????
"But with a soft schedule and a strong group of defensive players, only minimal competence is required from the offense for a winning campaign."
I wouldn't call that "love! Reusse is a Vikings hater. Always has been and always will be.

marstc09
09-07-2007, 11:40 AM
Soft Schedule?
Bears Twice
KC in KC
Green Bay Twice
Cowboys in Dallas
Eagles
Chargers
Giants in NY
49ers in SF
Broncos in Denver

I do not consider this soft at all!

renovikesfan
09-07-2007, 11:54 AM
"marstc09" wrote:

Soft Schedule?
Bears Twice
KC in KC
Green Bay Twice
Cowboys in Dallas
Eagles
Chargers
Giants in NY
49ers in SF
Broncos in Denver

Not saying the Cowboys or 9ers games should be "mailed in"...but what's scary/tough about them?
9ers stadium doesn't exactly strike fear at the mere mention of the name, and the Cowboys are, at best, mediocre...even at home.

Marrdro
09-07-2007, 11:57 AM
"renovikesfan" wrote:

"marstc09" wrote:

Soft Schedule?
Bears Twice
KC in KC
Green Bay Twice
Cowboys in Dallas
Eagles
Chargers
Giants in NY
49ers in SF
Broncos in Denver

Not saying the Cowboys or 9ers games should be "mailed in"...but what's scary/tough about them?
9ers stadium doesn't exactly strike fear at the mere mention of the name, and the Cowboys are, at best, mediocre...even at home.

You can also plot the Giants down in that catagory as well.
They should have comletely self destructed by the time we have to play them.

Heck they might have already fired thier coach and brough Tiki Torch in to coach by then.
;D

marstc09
09-07-2007, 12:14 PM
I guarantee the Giants, Cowboys, and the 49ers will be in the playoff hunt, which makes them dangerous.

CT29
09-07-2007, 06:13 PM
"singersp" wrote:

Patrick Reusse: Who says it's all downhill for the Purple? (http://www.startribune.com/reusse/story/1405751.html)

Nay-sayers seem to think this year's Vikings might be headed for disaster. But with a soft schedule and a strong group of defensive players, only minimal competence is required from the offense for a winning campaign.

By Patrick Reusse, Star Tribune
Last update: September 06, 2007 – 7:58 PM

There were sizable crowds and much optimism when the Vikings arrived in Mankato for a training camp a year ago. This carried over to the days before the regular-season opener against Washington.....
i like how he thinks!

C Mac D
09-07-2007, 06:21 PM
"marstc09" wrote:

I guarantee the Giants, Cowboys, and the 49ers will be in the playoff hunt, which makes them dangerous.

I tend to agree with this. We lost to the 49ers last year, 3-9. This year they will be even better... then again so will we.

It isn't a gimme, thats for sure.

cajunvike
09-07-2007, 06:41 PM
Not ME!!!

I can't wait to see all those prognosticators eat CROW!!!

V-Unit
09-07-2007, 07:07 PM
"marstc09" wrote:

Soft Schedule?
Bears Twice
KC in KC
Green Bay Twice
Cowboys in Dallas
Eagles
Chargers
Giants in NY
49ers in SF
Broncos in Denver

Hmmm... so you consider every road game except for Detroit as tough...

We do play 7 playoff teams, which is a lot. I think we will do better than national expectations, but lets win some games before we start talking playoffs.

purplepat
09-07-2007, 09:39 PM
First off, in no way am I comparing this Vikings defense to the great Purple People Eaters defense of the late 60's-early 70s...

But in the four seasons just before Fran Tarkenton reappeared in purple, the Vikings offense was generally rather dreadful.
Joe Kapp was a fireplug who was a determined as a pit bull, but his passes were the ugliest ducks you ever saw.
Gary Cuozzo, who followed Kapp, was a career backup with very little ability.
The running backs were competent, but not necessarily flashy or overly productive.
In those years, the defense was dominant.
It won the battle of field position, created lots of turnovers and either scored or presented scoring opportunities for the offense.
If the Vikings won big, the defense usually had a major part in it.
More often though, the defense simply kept the opponent pinned down and the offense would win lots of games scoring 20 points or less.

If this squad can find just a bit more pass rush and sacks from the D-line, particularly the D-ends, the Vikings could be a winner in the same fashion.
This Vikings team has a lot more talent at RB than those Vikings teams did.
What it lacks is an experienced QB and proven WRs.
By simply not making mistakes and avoiding turnovers, and a pass rush, I think this team could win a lot of games ugly.
And as Al Davis is fond of saying, "just win, baby."

NodakPaul
09-07-2007, 09:41 PM
"C" wrote:

"marstc09" wrote:

I tend to agree with this. We lost to the 49ers last year, 3-9. This year they will be even better... then again so will we.

It isn't a gimme, thats for sure.

The 49ers are my sleeper pick this year.
Their D is going to be much improved over last year.

Vikes_King
09-07-2007, 10:18 PM
good post, i think 9-7 is a very realistic outlook