View Full Version : Vikes give Williams 3-year extension

PurplePumpkin
09-06-2007, 12:20 AM
Good news

http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/story/7195116?CMP=OTC-K9B140813162&ATT=5

thevikingfan
09-06-2007, 12:24 AM
excuse me for what im about to do

WOOT HECK YEA I LOVE IT VIKES FOR EVER I BLEED PURPLE GO PHAT PAT SUPERBOWL YES!!!!

Ok im done it been a while since ive been so excited

douginc
09-06-2007, 12:33 AM
"thevikingfan" wrote:

excuse me for what im about to do

WOOT HECK YEA I LOVE IT VIKES FOR EVER I BLEED PURPLE GO PHAT PAT SUPERBOWL YES!!!!

Ok im done it been a while since ive been so excited

What you did.......was entirely logical.

It's essentially what I did (mentally) as soon as I read it on ProFootballTalk.
Two SUPER stud DTs locked up.......pretty much guarantees we won't be suffering from the same 'triple team John Randle and you'll shut our defense down' days for a while.

thevikingfan
09-06-2007, 12:39 AM
Now that we have kevin pat and ej locked up long term i think we should extend antoine winfield for a couple more years.What do you think?

whackthepack
09-06-2007, 12:52 AM
Sweet Phat Pat locked up for 3 years!

Overlord
09-06-2007, 12:58 AM
Sweet!
We get Pat Williams for another three years, and it only cost us 22 million double-cheeseburgers.
Heck yeah!

thevikingfan
09-06-2007, 01:02 AM
"Overlord" wrote:

Sweet!
We get Pat Williams for another three years, and it only cost us 22 million double-cheeseburgers.
Heck yeah!

thats 11 million frosties each for the williams brothers

before tax

marcosMN
09-06-2007, 01:33 AM
Finally.

I had actually repressed this whole situation from my memory.

Glad that it worked out well. Hopefully he'll end his career here.

ForceOfNorse
09-06-2007, 01:39 AM
AMEN!!!!!!!

thevikingfan
09-06-2007, 01:39 AM
"SnoBumMN" wrote:

Finally.

i think it is a safe bet that he isunless he has a huge fallin gout with childress and i dont see that happening

thevikingfan
09-06-2007, 01:40 AM
Here is the twincities.com pat williams thing

http://www.twincities.com/vikings/ci_6813043

digital420
09-06-2007, 02:14 AM
"It wasn't so much about the money, I wanted to get a deal done because now I may be able to finish my career playing next to Kevin Williams (another stud Vikings defensive player). That's what was so important for me to get it done."

that just makes me smile!!!

KW and PhatPat.. monsters of the gridIron and they be lovin destroyin Olines/RB's/QB's together

DiGiTaL

AngloVike
09-06-2007, 02:34 AM
Excellent news and someone well deserving of it - one less personnel issue to worry about

jkjuggalo
09-06-2007, 03:47 AM
Hallelujah!
What a relief, though I still think we need to draft a DT or bring a young guy in to groom (e.g. feed) and spell Phat Pat on occassion.

cogitans
09-06-2007, 03:55 AM
I honestly didn't think it would come through. But nice to have a really good humorous guy locked up for the rest of the snaps he'll take in the league. Now give it all you got Pat:

http://media.scout.com/Media/Image/36/369661.jpg

staticnullvoid
09-06-2007, 04:12 AM
oh hellz yeah!

midgensa
09-06-2007, 04:21 AM
This is absolutely great ... one less thing to think about during the season. Great to keep him in the fold for the rest of his playing days. Kudos to management.

PurpleTide
09-06-2007, 04:45 AM
"jkjuggalo" wrote:

Hallelujah!
What a relief, though I still think we need to draft a DT or bring a young guy in to groom (e.g. feed) and spell Phat Pat on occassion.

That's why they picked up Fred Evans. He can split blockers, and get more push up the middle. He has a trouble'd past but his upside is he is capable of starting for most teams, and will be a major force on third downs this year.

Prophet
09-06-2007, 07:24 AM
Fast food restaurants throughout the Twin Cities rejoice!

Zeus
09-06-2007, 07:29 AM
"SnoBumMN" wrote:

Finally.

You don't have enough faith in our leadership, apparently.
I, personally, felt like it was going to happen this way all along.
The Vikes showed last year that they were willing to extend contracts during the season to keep key players.

=Z=

vikingivan
09-06-2007, 07:34 AM
"Prophet" wrote:

That is great that we locked big Pat up for 3 more years.
On a side note.
When Rick Majerus left Ball State for Utah his favorite rib joint did go out of business.

Marrdro
09-06-2007, 07:41 AM
Great stuff.

At some point we as fans are gonna have to realize that maybe, just maybe this organization knows what the heck its doing.

Keep the good ones we have, grow a few of our own and then if needed, go out and get a few from other teams if we need em.

Prophet
09-06-2007, 07:46 AM
Conversely, if he wasn't signed for an extension would you have believed in the management's decision?
Unlike some pp.oers, I put more faith into the decisions of a staff of professionals that see the players every day than the opinion of some random fan on a message board.

Iron Lungs
09-06-2007, 07:50 AM
"PurplePumpkin" wrote:

Good news

http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/story/7195116?CMP=OTC-K9B140813162&ATT=5

Not just good news this is GREAT news. Let the season begin!

PurpleTide
09-06-2007, 07:56 AM
Big Pat really deserved this and now we will be a force against the run for years. Pat is a team leader and the whole team feeds off his enthusiasm. Great job front office.

cogitans
09-06-2007, 08:04 AM
"Prophet" wrote:

Conversely, if he wasn't signed for an extension would you have believed in the management's decision?
Unlike some pp.oers, I put more faith into the decisions of a staff of professionals that see the players every day than the opinion of some random fan on a message board.

I would for sure. If they had come out and told me that they believed Pat were about being done, as we see he can not take all snaps. I'd have believed them.

Billy Boy
09-06-2007, 08:06 AM
"PurpleTide" wrote:

Big Pat really deserved this and now we will be a force against the run for years. Pat is a team leader and the whole team feeds off his enthusiasm. Great job front office.

Also three more years of Phat Pat's belly water.

http://i61.photobucket.com/albums/h63/westvirginiavikings/Pat.jpg

Wonderful news.

BadlandsVikings
09-06-2007, 09:17 AM
"Prophet" wrote:

Will they start serving his belly water?

I'm glad to see Phat Pat is staying awhile.

TheKnuck
09-06-2007, 10:17 AM
i love it when a team shows their commitment to one of its best.
SOLID!

V-Unit
09-06-2007, 10:40 AM
"Prophet" wrote:

It would depend on how he performed during the season, but my gut instinct was to have Pat stick around. I have always seen him as an irreplaceable part of our Defense. When he leaves, the D will miss him is what I'm trying to say. I put faith in the staff when they make consistent good decisions. Re-signings like this one increase my faith in the organization.

Now for some celebration:

YES! This is how you build a football team. You keep the best parts of a great defense and fill in talent around them. The key to our defense is that at every position we have a proven veteran or an up and coming star. The only exception might be Udeze, but we'll see.

We basically just ensured that teams will not be able to run against us for the next two years, at least. This gives me hope that the D will still be stellar when the offense turns the corner.

Marrdro
09-06-2007, 10:47 AM
"V" wrote:

"Prophet" wrote:

It would depend on how he performed during the season, but my gut instinct was to have Pat stick around. I have always seen him as an irreplaceable part of our Defense. When he leaves, the D will miss him is what I'm trying to say. I put faith in the staff when they make consistent good decisions. Re-signings like this one increase my faith in the organization.

Now for some celebration:

YES! This is how you build a football team. You keep the best parts of a great defense and fill in talent around them. The key to our defense is that at every position we have a proven veteran or an up and coming star. The only exception might be Udeze, but we'll see.

We basically just ensured that teams will not be able to run against us for the next two years, at least. This gives me hope that the D will still be stellar when the offense turns the corner.

Giving themselves at least two years to develop a replacement.

Vikefanman2000
09-06-2007, 12:31 PM
It's great to see a guy get rewarded for "doing" what he gets paid to do!
I get tired of hearing contract numbers for guys that talk the talk, but can't walk the walk....ie, smoot.

Congrats Phat Pat!!

C Mac D
09-06-2007, 12:37 PM
Great to hear.

I was happy when we got him from Buffalo.

I was happy when he led the league's best rush defense last year.

I'm happy to hear this.

Thanks and Congrats Pat!

BloodyHorns82
09-06-2007, 12:38 PM
This is great news.
He is a special player and contributes greatly to our defense.
I look forward to watching him finish his career as a Vikings.
I just hope he can keep that huge frame of his healthy.

Ltrey33
09-06-2007, 12:42 PM
Wow! I didn't even know that they were still negotiating. That's great.

HOWEVER, I still think we need to look for someone to replace him, either through the draft or free agency over the next year or two. He's 34 years old and weighs 330 lbs...he won't be nearly as effective as time goes on...especially as we get into the second half of the year.

Marrdro
09-06-2007, 12:49 PM
"Ltrey" wrote:

Wow! I didn't even know that they were still negotiating. That's great.

HOWEVER, I still think we need to look for someone to replace him, either through the draft or free agency over the next year or two. He's 34 years old and weighs 330 lbs...he won't be nearly as effective as time goes on...especially as we get into the second half of the year.

Can you say, Fred Evans?

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/players/stats?playerId=9798

6'4", 305 lbs.
Probably can carry about another 15 lbs or so.

marstc09
09-06-2007, 12:54 PM
It is funny everyone (Packer fans) made fun of me when we signed this guy. Now he is a stud.
Who is laughing now!

Prophet
09-06-2007, 01:19 PM
"marstc09" wrote:

It is funny everyone (Packer fans) made fun of me when we signed this guy. Now he is a stud.
Who is laughing now!

It is funny to just listen to the typical Packer fan talk about anything that is football related.
They typically make the most retarded fan feel like a genius.

Marrdro
09-06-2007, 01:29 PM
"Prophet" wrote:

"marstc09" wrote:

Who is laughing now!

It is funny to just listen to the typical Packer fan talk about anything that is football related.
They typically make the most Challenged Hillbilly Lover'd fan feel like a genius.

Its fun to real them in and then hit them with the Deer story when they start giving all thier Titles data.
;D

MetalMike-LoudVike
09-06-2007, 03:06 PM
He gets his wish and wants to retire a VIKING thats good stuff.I know he he gonna devour a RB or two now that is entertainment.

ForceOfNorse
09-06-2007, 05:24 PM
This is such great news!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
He is such a leader on defense, and you know all the younger guys listen when Phat Pat speaks!!

HELLS YEAH!!!!!!

cajunvike
09-06-2007, 07:01 PM
One word:

YESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS!!!!

BadlandsVikings
09-06-2007, 07:03 PM
"cajunvike" wrote:

One word:

YESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS!!!!

That's three words
:D

MaxVike
09-06-2007, 07:36 PM
"Prophet" wrote:

Amen Proph.

This is another indication to me that our boys in the front office understand both lines is where it starts.
Also, great quote from Pat about playing next to Kevin Williams.

A little distracted now, man, is Faith Hill hot.

vikingivan
09-06-2007, 08:42 PM
"marstc09" wrote:

Who is laughing now!

They wish they had Pat.
Our defensive line should be one of the best for years.

vikinggreg
09-06-2007, 09:04 PM
Good news, glad this was taken care of, now sell out that dome ;D

jessejames09
09-06-2007, 09:11 PM
http://www.widowpc.com/images/article_images/oldschool.jpg
We're going streaking!!

Iron Lungs
09-06-2007, 09:25 PM
"MaxVike" wrote:

"Prophet" wrote:

Amen Proph.

This is another indication to me that our boys in the front office understand both lines is where it starts.
Also, great quote from Pat about playing next to Kevin Williams.

A little distracted now, man, is Faith Hill hot.

mmmm

so-cal vike
09-06-2007, 11:25 PM
A quote from Pat Williams regarding the extension:
http://www.nfl.com/news/story?id=09000d5d80219424&template=without-video&confirm=true

"Everything's great now, so I ain't got to be worried about packing my bags," Williams said.
It's straight home. All purple and gold."

It struck a chord with me, and what a fitting quote it is.

It's straight home.
All purple and gold.

I love it!

Skol!

carta4eva
09-06-2007, 11:42 PM
phat pat phat pat phat pat.... thats what I'm talking bout, now if we could just get Udeze and James to reach their potential, we could truely bring out the slogan "Purple People Eaters the Next Generation"... eh?

ColoradoViking
09-07-2007, 01:30 AM
This one reads a little bit different:

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2007/football/nfl/09/06/bc.fbn.vikings.pwilliams.ap/index.html

I like this quote from Pat
"I knew they would get a deal done. Coach Childress gave me his word," Williams said.

So speaking of faith in the staff, I find it encouraging that a veteran guy has that kind trust in his coach.

digital420
09-07-2007, 03:49 AM
I have read links from all over.. some of my fav things about Phat Pat is his bluntness on a situation..

http://www.startribune.com/510/story/1406961.html

Pat Williams admitted he might have given the Vikings a slight discount on the three-year contract extension he's expected to sign today, but the Pro Bowl nose tackle said there was a good reason for that.
This shows me that he is really into the Vikings and believes in this D!!!

"I'm at home now. I call this home,"

i luv this!!!!

"I didn't want to go nowhere," Pat Williams said. "I want to finish [my career] playing beside Kevin Williams."

ohh man.. we have the BEST tandem!!!!!
KW+PW=Spartans at the HotGates!!

"Everything is great now," Williams said. "So I ain't got to be worried about packing my bags and leaving. It's straight home all Purple and Gold."
He's a Viking till the End!!!
at least 1 more ProBowl, maybe 2..

singersp
09-07-2007, 05:43 AM
Pat Williams “at home” (http://www.startribune.com/blogs/vikings/?p=938)

September 6th, 2007 – 3:50 PM by Judd Zulgad
startribune.com

It remains expected that the three-year, $22 million contract extension for nose tackle Pat Williams will be finalized Friday.....

singersp
09-07-2007, 05:45 AM
Williams happy with his new deal (http://www.twincities.com/vikings/ci_6822492?nclick_check=1)

Popular nose tackle gets 3-year extension

BY SEAN JENSEN
Pioneer Press
Article Last Updated: 09/07/2007 12:11:30 AM CDT

As he walked off the practice field Thursday, Vikings defensive tackle Pat Williams relished the benefits of a new contract he is expected to sign today.

"Can I borrow two bucks?" quarterback Tarvaris Jackson asked....

Prophet
09-07-2007, 07:32 AM
"ColoradoViking" wrote:

This one reads a little bit different:

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2007/football/nfl/09/06/bc.fbn.vikings.pwilliams.ap/index.html

I like this quote from Pat
"I knew they would get a deal done. Coach Childress gave me his word," Williams said.

So speaking of faith in the staff, I find it encouraging that a veteran guy has that kind trust in his coach.

CCthebest?
No comments about this?

ColoradoViking
09-07-2007, 01:04 PM
Yeah I expected to see some response on that... considering how many chilly detractors there are around here.

It just seems if we reason that the staff should know the players better than we do, it should go the other way. When Phat Pat says "I knew....Childress gave me his word." What does it mean? I guess maybe it doesn't automatically mean he thinks Chilly is a good coach.. Me might strictly mean that he is a man of his word.

cajunvike
09-07-2007, 01:21 PM
Loozeeanna in tha house!!!

My homeboy, Phat Pat, will retire as a Viking!!! YEAH!!

Marrdro
09-07-2007, 01:25 PM
AND ANOTHER THING........

If it sucks so much around the Vikes organization why is it that someone who could get (Probably) better money than this wants to stay here and play.

Again, I throw the bullshit card for you haters out there who insist we can't get FA's cause none of them want to come play here cause the environment sucks so bad.
::)

vikinggreg
09-07-2007, 01:53 PM
This and the McKinnie signing before both became free agents are great moves,
these players hitting the market would have garnered bigger money on the open market.
I’m also growing quite impressed with the way Childress handled AW in the preseason and the commitment he has shown Pat, sure some fringe players (Smoot, Johnson, Mrob, Taylor) were released last year but the core guys are being taken care of and the players respect it.

Prophet
09-07-2007, 01:56 PM
"ColoradoViking" wrote:

Yeah I expected to see some response on that... considering how many chilly detractors there are around here.

It just seems if we reason that the staff should know the players better than we do, it should go the other way. When Phat Pat says "I knew....Childress gave me his word." What does it mean? I guess maybe it doesn't automatically mean he thinks Chilly is a good coach.. Me might strictly mean that he is a man of his word.

It also implies he's a good coach.
These guys have played under many different coaches during their football careers.
I doubt they would give him respect if they thought he was a moron in his role as head coach.
A man of his word and he's earning respect among the players.
I find it difficult to put a negative twist on that.

ColoradoViking
09-07-2007, 02:03 PM
"Prophet" wrote:

"ColoradoViking" wrote:

These guys have played under many different coaches during their football careers.
I doubt they would give him respect if they thought he was a moron in his role as head coach.

Me too. But I'll bet somebody can figure out a way .

davike
09-07-2007, 02:04 PM
"ColoradoViking" wrote:

"Prophet" wrote:

"ColoradoViking" wrote:

I doubt they would give him respect if they thought he was a silly guy in his role as head coach.

Me too. But I'll bet somebody can figure out a way .

CCtheBest?

Marrdro
09-07-2007, 02:14 PM
"Prophet" wrote:

"ColoradoViking" wrote:

I doubt they would give him respect if they thought he was a silly guy in his role as head coach.

Were are all the haters....... ::)

Must still be working as they aren't jumping in here for a civil discussion (with no green dots involved) on this matter that they continually run amuck on.
;D

Prophet
09-07-2007, 02:17 PM
"Marrdro" wrote:

....Were are all the haters....... ::)

Must still be working as they aren't jumping in here for a civil discussion (with no green dots involved) on this matter that they continually run amuck on.

;D

The haters will come out in droves after an L.
They do every year.
It sucks to lose, but it's fun to banter with illogical people....at least the one's that have a few convulutions in their grey matter.

ColoradoViking
09-07-2007, 02:23 PM
I think if you're a lover, you're born a lover... i remember arguing with my dad when I was a tiny little kid.... a couple of L's and
he'd say.. ' I can't do it.. they are horrible.. they will always be horrible... i'm not gonna watch anymore.' (of course he was just frustrated) but I'd say 'NO you're wrong... just you wait... you will see.. they're gonna do it'

BloodyHorns82
09-07-2007, 02:25 PM
"Prophet" wrote:

"Marrdro" wrote:

;D

They do every year.
It sucks to lose, but it's fun to banter with illogical people....at least the one's that have a few convulutions in their grey matter.

I want to be a hater!
Where do I sign up?

I figured that CCthebest holds the clipboard for the sign in, but I havn't seen him around.

COJOMAY
09-07-2007, 03:16 PM
And...
In the last article Singer posted it says he signed for less than he would have for another team because he wanted to give the Vikes a break and stay here. I love it!

The move also continues the Vikings’ trend of locking up players before they hit free agency. During the course of last season, the Vikings signed six players to extensions, including Kevin Williams. He received a seven-year contract worth $50 million, including $16 million in bonuses, on Dec. 23.
So much for all the Chilly "haters" who said that no one wanted to stay in Minnesota because they hated the coach.

CT29
09-07-2007, 05:11 PM
"BloodyHorns82" wrote:

"Prophet" wrote:

"Marrdro" wrote:

;D

They do every year.

I want to be a hater!
Where do I sign up?

I figured that CCthebest holds the clipboard for the sign in, but I havn't seen him around.

haha lol

Marrdro
09-07-2007, 06:37 PM
"COJOMAY" wrote:

And...
In the last article Singer posted it says he signed for less than he would have for another team because he wanted to give the Vikes a break and stay here. I love it!

The move also continues the Vikings’ trend of locking up players before they hit free agency. During the course of last season, the Vikings signed six players to extensions, including Kevin Williams. He received a seven-year contract worth $50 million, including $16 million in bonuses, on Dec. 23.
So much for all the Chilly "haters" who said that no one wanted to stay in Minnesota because they hated the coach.

Preach on my friend. Preach on.

Vikes_King
09-07-2007, 08:56 PM
i was sooo pumped when i heard this on the news last year or whenever it was :D:D:D:D:D:D i kept on saying dont worry... everytime someone brought up pat williams "moving on" after this season.
but in my mind i was worrying too :)

PUMPED

PhillyVikes
09-07-2007, 09:47 PM
OMG!!! What a great move. Im sooooooo pumped for Sun, cant wait to see Purple take the field again!!!!!

Skol!!!

singersp
09-08-2007, 05:54 AM
Vikings, defensive tackle Pat Williams finalize 3-year contract extension (http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news?slug=ap-vikings-pwilliams&prov=ap&type=lgns)

By DAVE CAMPBELL, AP Sports Writer
yahoo.com
September 7, 2007

EDEN PRAIRIE, Minn. (AP) -- The Minnesota Vikings and defensive tackle Pat Williams finalized a three-year, $22 million contract extension Friday....

Mr-holland
09-08-2007, 06:57 AM
This is absolutely great, we'll have the best DT's in the league for 4 more years if not more..
Great news really!