PDA

View Full Version : detroit vs minnesota

silvermane
11-15-2004, 11:58 PM
well the nfc north is closer at the mid season point than it has been in years. the worst part is, chicago fans now think they have a chance! yikes!

anyway with moss out i think the lions best chance to win is the way they have been doing it all this time...with defense and special teams. the offense should just stay on the sidelines, they will foul it up. harrington has been horrible these last couple games. why throw to an open receiver when you can just throw to someone in tight coverage? makes sense right? he has been overthrowing, underthrowing you name it. kevin jones had better start to convince us why he was a top pick, he has been slow to hit the holes and just not getting it done. williams has been a gem, but the other receivers especially hakim and tight end alexander have been disappointing. the line has been playing pretty well. so cheer up you guys playing our offense might just be the spark your defense needs to get some confidence.

i think the more interesting match will be our defense against your offense, minus moss. our front 7 has been playing very well and getting much more pressure on quarterbacks than years past. that has allowed the secondary to make some big plays, but really the secondary is the weakness of our defense. we have given up a lot of yards but its more of that bend dont break, and we also have been getting more turnovers.

well this should be a good game both teams need the win pretty badly. for some reason i see a lot of penalties in this game, maybe more turnovers too.

VikingsTw
11-16-2004, 12:03 AM
I done quite see the Lions hanging with us at the dome, our team is very pissed and determined to get back on the road. Unless we really shoot ourselves in the foot on offense we will win. Our defense has played decent against sh*ty offenses. We need to control Drumend (we should have EJ do that, if you remember what happened last year), we cant let him have a impact on the game.

cajunvike
11-16-2004, 12:08 AM
I see the Viking offense finally getting back into synch...they worked out all of the kinks the last two weeks and are due for an explosive outing...the Viking defense is starting to gain some confidence and should continue to improve (especially against the very mediocre Lions offense). If the Vikes can play mistake free football, this game will end up in the win column.

snowinapril
11-16-2004, 12:47 AM
If Cortez is kicking,
Kick it out of bounds

The offense is going to Roll. We haven't seen the Roll from Skolpepper in awhile, it is time for him to break it out for us.

SKOL
11-16-2004, 01:18 AM
Thanks for the insight on the Lions, Silvermane. Can't say we've seen that much of them, except the early game this last Sunday..., You're right Harrington looked terrible. Kevin Jones looks like a beast to bring down though. I only saw a few minutes of the game so I'll just have to take your word on him hitting holes slow.

It's unfortunate for us, but I'll look for you guys to have two more special teams returns for TD's..., our coverage sucks..., our kickoffs land around the 30, and our punter can't average much over 30-35 yards. I think our special teams have overtaken the defense as our achilles heal.

silvermane
11-16-2004, 01:48 AM
"vikingstw" wrote:

I done quite see the Lions hanging with us at the dome

i don't quite see the lions hanging with you at ford field either.

silvermane
11-16-2004, 01:58 AM
"SKOL" wrote:

Thanks for the insight on the Lions, Silvermane. Can't say we've seen that much of them, except the early game this last Sunday..., You're right Harrington looked terrible. Kevin Jones looks like a beast to bring down though. I only saw a few minutes of the game so I'll just have to take your word on him hitting holes slow.

It's unfortunate for us, but I'll look for you guys to have two more special teams returns for TD's..., our coverage sucks..., our kickoffs land around the 30, and our punter can't average much over 30-35 yards. I think our special teams have overtaken the defense as our achilles heal.

jones does break tackles and he did do a better job this weekend. his 81 yards rushing is the highest game total for a lions running back this year. no i'm not kidding! but i have more patience than most people do though because unlike the other rooks like perry, jackson, moore, etc. he does not have an elite or even solid veteran to step in behind...and there are higher expectations of him than of those other guys.

as for the rest it will shock me if our offense manages to outscore our defense/special teams. we will probably need two kick returns for TDs just to stay in the game.

TheAnimal93
11-16-2004, 05:07 AM
first of all silvermane thank you for having some class and not right off the bat talking a bunch of crap. i was looking at the lions record and the lions still are not playing well on the road. they have played some teams with supposed good defenses and the ones played at home you won(atl,nyg,chi.) and the ones that you played on the road youve lost(dal,wash,jax). Vikes D plays much better at home and of course the rest of the team.
this will be a wild game with alot of crazy stuff and lets hope that the players decide the outcome of the game no matter what it is, of course i have to say the Vikes will get the win.

XTAP59
11-16-2004, 07:33 AM
"vikingstw" wrote:

I done quite see the Lions hanging with us at the dome, our team is very pissed and determined to get back on the road. Unless we really shoot ourselves in the foot on offense we will win. Our defense has played decent against sh*ty offenses. We need to control Drumend (we should have EJ do that, if you remember what happened last year), we cant let him have a impact on the game.

I don't know about that. Usually, the NFCN plays very tight games. They know each other to well. I believe the Vikes win but it will be 7 or less points.

SKOL
11-16-2004, 10:36 AM
Silvermane, I heard this morning on the Radio that the Lions are considering splitting time between Harrington and Mike McMahon for the Vikes game. Have you heard this? It's a long time coming, I guess..., and it's probably the only way you guys have a chance at winning, since they both have such different styles of play, the Vikes may have a hard time defensing that. Recently the Vikes have not responded well defensively to a change at quarterback during the game.

silvermane
11-16-2004, 01:06 PM
"SKOL" wrote:

Silvermane, I heard this morning on the Radio that the Lions are considering splitting time between Harrington and Mike McMahon for the Vikes game. Have you heard this? It's a long time coming, I guess..., and it's probably the only way you guys have a chance at winning, since they both have such different styles of play, the Vikes may have a hard time defensing that. Recently the Vikes have not responded well defensively to a change at quarterback during the game.

what mooch said was that since rick mirer did so well against you guys last year with oakland, he will get the start this sunday over both of them.

just kidding. i hope.

but seriously, mooch said harrington's job is safe as of now and he will be starting against the vikes. but, he also said mcmahon will be taking more snaps in practice this week than usual, so i get the feeling he won't hesistate to bench harrington if the game is going poorly.

Packerguy
11-16-2004, 04:29 PM
The vikes still seem to be struggling a tad on offense at times. True they have had good games the last two weeks but against really bad defenses at greenbay and Indy.

I think the vikings will win but I definitely see a close game. A bad timing turnover may be all detroit needs.

The packers need to play well too after winning last week in the biggest game thus far for them, it would be easy to let down and this team has had a history of doing that recently. I am sure houston is pissed after playing so poorly against indy last weekend.

GreenBaySlackers
11-16-2004, 04:33 PM
I see it as a blow out

VIKES ARE HUNGRY!!!!!!!!
^^^
Pudding would be nice...

PAvikesfan
11-17-2004, 10:41 AM
I think we will see another Secondary INT this week finally and I see the vikes run Defense getting back on track because of Detroit's mediocre offense, mainly the passing game.

I really would be suprised and outraged if the vikes give up more than 17 points this week and that is genorous... if the vikes lose this week, i expect riots at the Mall of America-haha. 24-14 Vikes.

snowinapril
11-17-2004, 11:01 AM
Close game - possible

Vikings are Hungry - so are the Lions

24-14 - I would like to see us give them 2 FG instead of 2 TDs so make it 31-13.

That is if the D and Special Teams shows up for us. If not, it will be 31-27

ItalianStallion
11-17-2004, 11:23 AM
Divisional games always seem to be close, so I doubt there will be any kind of blowout, especially with Moss out.

Kevin Jones should be given at least 1 more year before anyone passes judgement on him, his is after all a rookie.

What to do with Harrington. This guy has been given receivers, and O-line and (some semblence) of a running game. It is his third year and he is still struggling. What do you think the Lions should do Silvermane? All I remember is people talking about how he was better than Carr when they were drafted.....oops.

snowinapril
11-17-2004, 01:39 PM
Silvermane,

What is going on with the D in Detroit?

Are you guys battling Injuries on that side of the ball like us?

purplehorn
11-17-2004, 01:55 PM
"silvermane" wrote:

the worst part is, chicago fans now think they have a chance! yikes!

HAHA that is some funny sh!t :D :lol:

Caine
11-17-2004, 02:05 PM
IF....to me, that's what it boils down to.

Detroit is a team on the verge of being a contender. They are suffering some set backs of late, but they have a lot of raw talent on that roster.

Minnesota is a great offensive team with a bad defense. Similar to an Indianapolis or KC.

If Detroit gets hot, they could continue our slide to the bottom. If they don't, and we don't shoot ourselves in the foot (Like at Philly), we should be able to handle them.

I really had hoped that our Defense would be better this year. It hasn't seemed to be thus far. And, minus Moss, our Offense seems to be struggling to find their identity early, then surging back late.

This one will be tough.

Caine