PDA

View Full Version : why does everyone think we are going to lose so many games this season?

vikefan522
08-31-2007, 09:45 PM
I was watching nfl live today. they had the division preview and they basically wrote off

our team right away. I normally dont pay attention to the predictions. but it is really

starting to piss me off. every football site i go on.(ex)-si.com power rankings 31th!

espn.com rankings 25 or 27!
profootballweekly, says we are going 2 suck.

we should have the best running game in the league! our o-line and rb should

dominate! the defense was ranked 7th in the league last year! 1st against the run.

No1 realizes how good the pass defense, we was last in the league in passing yards but

teams came out and passed the ball like 45times a game. Our defense allowed 15

passing touchdown and we gave away 5 against the pats.
i personally think in tj doesnt

go brad johnson and make bad decisions we can have a great year.

tb04512
08-31-2007, 09:48 PM
i agree i hate seeing us ranked behind teams like the browns

farvathevikinglover
08-31-2007, 10:00 PM
I'm not surprised, but I think 31st is definitely too low. Its mainly because no matter how hard we try to disguise and sugarcoat the fact, our qbs and wide receivers are largely unproven or underachieving. Not to say we're bad, just unproven. I'm looking forward to the season, and I like Tjack and Sydney Rice's potential. I think even if Tjack is a throws as many interceptions as touchdowns, we will still be in good shape with that running game.

OnlyVikes
08-31-2007, 10:01 PM
Ya whats up with that? I've noticed the same thing and it kinda irks me. Oh well, we'll see how right the so-called "experts" are come middle of the season.

NodakPaul
08-31-2007, 10:02 PM
The biggest reason is because the vast majority of our offense, including AP, are unproven.
When making predictions, people tend to rank unproven below either good or bad.
For some reason, a QB who is proven bad (Harrington) will be ranked higher than a QB who is unproven, like TJack.

Don't play too much into predictions though.
Remember that the Vikes were trendy Superbowl favorites a couple of times in the past five years...

Vikes_King
08-31-2007, 10:20 PM
why does everyone think we are going to lose so many games this season?

Because we are a team that had a bad record last year that, in the eyes of critics, did little to improve during the offseason besides the aquisition of adrian peterson.
Our pass defense was absolutely terrible last year with no pass rush to speak of, our special teams was porous, and we lost our stud D-coordinator.

on top of that we lost some players that were seen as some of our more reliable by outsiders, such as travis taylor, wiggins, and others.
We have an unproven 2nd year quarterback that did little to show he's ready to start last year, and didn't impress too many people in the preseason.

And i'll stop at that.

Thats why so many people think we'll do so poorly this season.
Me on the other hand, i have purple shades on :) i'm hoping for 10-6

snowinapril
08-31-2007, 10:20 PM
Don't let it bother you that they think we are bad.

We just might be.
The odds are stacked against us.

Sometimes it is nice to have nothing to lose.
Go out there and leave it all on the field. There are a lot of young guys that have a chance to prove themselves.

We are this year's underdog!

Ltrey33
08-31-2007, 10:30 PM
We have a completely unproven quarterback that few people have even heard of before, no receivers that have even had a 1,000 yard season and we were 6-10 last year.

That's why!

singersp
08-31-2007, 10:33 PM
You'll see it here also. Check any of the Vikings prediction threads we have going here & you'll see .500 & below predictions by people who despised the mediocrity Tice had in his 4 years here.

Get used to it. We're not going to get better overnight.

tb04512
08-31-2007, 10:51 PM
"singersp" wrote:

You'll see it here also. Check any of the Vikings prediction threads we have going here & you'll see .500 & below predictions by people who despised the mediocrity Tice had in his 4 years here.

Get used to it. We're not going to get better overnight.

how bout during the day??

ultravikingfan
08-31-2007, 11:01 PM
We are about as unproven as it comes.
I think if we put together a solid year we will really have something to build on for next.
Next year playoffs.
Year after, Super Bowl.

I am not one of these people who say SB every year.
I am a little more realistic.
If we suck, I will not piss on your head and tell you it's raining.

tb04512
08-31-2007, 11:04 PM
"ultravikingfan" wrote:

I think if we put together a solid year we will really have something to build on for next.
Next year playoffs.
Year after, Super Bowl.

LMAO

Iron Lungs
08-31-2007, 11:08 PM
"tb04512" wrote:

"ultravikingfan" wrote:

Next year playoffs.
Year after, Super Bowl.

LMAO

That is g a good one. :)

thevikingfan
08-31-2007, 11:21 PM
"vikefan522" wrote:

I was watching nfl live today. they had the division preview and they basically wrote off

our team right away. I normally dont pay attention to the predictions. but it is really

starting to piss me off. every football site i go on.(ex)-si.com power rankings 31th!

espn.com rankings 25 or 27!
profootballweekly, says we are going 2 suck.

we should have the best running game in the league! our o-line and rb should

dominate! the defense was ranked 7th in the league last year! 1st against the run.

No1 realizes how good the pass defense, we was last in the league in passing yards but

teams came out and passed the ball like 45times a game. Our defense allowed 15

passing touchdown and we gave away 5 against the pats.
i personally think in tj doesnt

go brad johnson and make bad decisions we can have a great year.

Everyone picked us to be last for the same reason everyone thinks the lions will be a 10 win team.Why they think that?I have no clue

duvaldomo
08-31-2007, 11:39 PM
I dont listen to anyone when it comes to prediction. But I agree it is pissing me off, thats why we just have to be patient and prove them wrong. Bad year or not should be exicting to watch but I can see 8-8 this year no less.

StillPurple
09-01-2007, 01:36 AM
The reason is because we have a QB with very little experience, with bad accuracy, and who doesn't seem poised in the pocket. Tarvaris gets flustered against the Cowboys second squad defense. How do you think he will do against the Bears defense ? As far as I know, T-Jack has not faced the Bears yet, right ? I think most NFL scouts think our QB will never make it at the NFL level. That is why we are ranked nr. 27. If you can't move the chains, you can't win.

I do think Adrian Peterson will make up for this bad situaton. Let's face it, AP is so talented, that all you have to do is get him the ball. He will make things happen.

I also think most people don't realize how good our defense will be. Our defense will score points this year. I thus think that takes us up to nr. 22 or so.

But unless we deal with the QB thing, we won't win.

jessejames09
09-01-2007, 01:45 AM
"StillPurple" wrote:

The reason is because we have a QB with very little experience, with bad accuracy, and who doesn't seem poised in the pocket. Tarvaris gets flustered against the Cowboys second squad defense. How do you think he will do against the Bears defense ? As far as I know, T-Jack has not faced the Bears yet, right ? I think most NFL scouts think our QB will never make it at the NFL level. That is why we are ranked nr. 27. If you can't move the chains, you can't win.

I do think Adrian Peterson will make up for this bad situaton. Let's face it, AP is so talented, that all you have to do is get him the ball. He will make things happen.

I also think most people don't realize how good our defense will be. Our defense will score points this year. I thus think that takes us up to nr. 22 or so.

So 5 passes told you the tale of our season?

What about the first 3 pre-season games where TJ looked pretty good?

And bad accuracy? Everyone says this but i have yet to see him outright miss WR's left and right.

gregair13
09-01-2007, 03:06 AM
just going to throw this out there.. we will lose because the other team will score more points than us

Caine
09-01-2007, 04:40 AM
Personally, I think we're going to be bad this season.
The reasons are many, and I think I've hit them all at one time or another.

But, there are a lot of "If's" on this team.
If we can get most of them to swing in our favor, we might be able to position ourselves for a run in the next 3 years...

...and, if they don't, we can all post long comments about how much we enjoy watching Brad Childress' "throw for less, hope for more" offense.

Caine

vikingivan
09-01-2007, 07:50 AM
When predictions are made they are based on what you did the prior season, and what improvements did you make during the off season.
We stunk last season, and we did not make any significant improvements through free agency.
Our draft was spectacular.
But, in the NFL you cannot count on rookies to step in and be difference makers.
Our #1 pick, Adrian Peterson should be a great player.
But, Chester Taylor ran for over 1200 yards last year.
How much of a difference can a great back make?
What if he rushed for 1600 yards?
That is 25 more yards a game.

I believe we will be vastly improved this year.
But, maybe we won't.
Who knows?
I think we are on the right path anyway.

NordicNed
09-01-2007, 08:30 AM
Well, I for one would rather follow the odds makers in Vegas for a prediction that some dim wit sports writer, who probably loves the likes of someone like GB, Dallas, Giants, Pats....

In Vegas, the Vikings have recently taken a big jump from 75 to 1 super bowl odds to 45 to 1.... Thats huge and it tells me they are getting some love from somewhere.
Also they had on ESPN radio, one of the best cappers known in Vegas, and he personaly thought that 45 to 1 on the Vikings was a good bet to lay some money on.

He said the D should be a top 5 D and that even though TJ and our Recievers are unproven, our RB's will be a force to reckon with and our O line should be solid. He also said, that being in our 2nd year of a West Coast Offense, we should start seeing good things and with our running game, that should help TJ and our WR's with being able to do just enough to put more W's on the board than alot of people are predicting....

I believe we can and will hit the 10 wins mark......As of note, he also said it wouldn't take much for the bears to lay an egg this season.

He said he wouldn't be suprised one bit if we finished on top of the Bears this season.....

Purple Floyd
09-01-2007, 08:33 AM
It all depends on the coaching staff and whether they can coach the guys they have. The players are learning the WCO, not the String theory and if they cannot grasp it after 2 preseasons and a full schedule then you have to wonder what it will take to get it right.

It also is not hard to understand why they rank us so low. We had a great run defense but a poor pass defense and our offense was terrible. We addressed the defense and it should be better but the coordinator is new and you won't know for a while how he is going to make adjustments and deal with injuries when they happen which they almost certainly do. The offense was the worst I have seen from a Vikings team and we took the experienced players we had a replaced them with young draft picks and players who were on the second and third tier of talent at their positions on teams that weren't all that good. That is where the coaching staff comes in. If they can pull it together and get the players doing what they need to we have the potential to improve on where we ended up last year. If not, we can start thinking about how high we will draft next year.

PurpleTide
09-01-2007, 08:41 AM
All preseason pickers base opinions on paper and the previous season. Since we don't have alot of tape on TJ, and our young recievers, everyone thinks we aren't that good.

We did not "suck" last year, we were in every game 'cept the Patriots, and if Tarvaris can spread the ball to the other skill players, and we have a strong rushing attack, combined with a top tier defense, much crow will be served. Can't wait to fing out how we'll fair, but until we play a few games, I'll reserve my judgement on the Vikes. I think right now we are going to be very competitive.

vikingivan
09-01-2007, 08:43 AM
"NordicNed" wrote:

Well, I for one would rather follow the odds makers in Vegas for a prediction that some dim wit sports writer, who probably loves the likes of someone like GB, Dallas, Giants, Pats....

In Vegas, the Vikings have recently taken a big jump from 75 to 1 super bowl odds to 45 to 1.... Thats huge and it tells me they are getting some love from somewhere.
Also they had on ESPN radio, one of the best cappers known in Vegas, and he personaly thought that 45 to 1 on the Vikings was a good bet to lay some money on.

He said the D should be a top 5 D and that even though TJ and our Recievers are unproven, our RB's will be a force to reckon with and our O line should be solid. He also said, that being in our 2nd year of a West Coast Offense, we should start seeing good things and with our running game, that should help TJ and our WR's with being able to do just enough to put more W's on the board than alot of people are predicting....

I believe we can and will hit the 10 wins mark......As of note, he also said it wouldn't take much for the bears to lay an egg this season.

He said he wouldn't be suprised one bit if we finished on top of the Bears this season.....

45 to one is still one helluva long shot as far as oddsmakers are concerned.
Until the past couple of seasons I used to bet on the Vikes to win the bowl every year.
It never did pay off.

I do like the optimism Ned.
I also think we sill surpass 10 wins.
You can categorize the fans on this site 3 ways.
The Optimists, like us and NodakPaul.
The realists, Webby, Ultra, Zeus and others, and the pessimists, such as still purple.
When the season is over it is typically the realists that are right.
The optimists are disappointed and the pessimists are the "I told you so bunch".

NodakPaul
09-01-2007, 09:03 AM
"StillPurple" wrote:

I was at the game and may have missed something said on TV, but did the entire starting defensive squad for Dallas sit out the game?
If not, then he wasn't playing against second string defenses.

singersp
09-01-2007, 09:48 AM
"NodakPaul" wrote:

"StillPurple" wrote:

I was at the game and may have missed something said on TV, but did the entire starting defensive squad for Dallas sit out the game?
If not, then he wasn't playing against second string defenses.

I was outside when Paul Allen was having a smoke before the game. He said the Cowboys rested 6 starters on offense & 8 on defense.

marstc09
09-01-2007, 09:58 AM
Predictions are worthless, bring on the season!

KevinK
09-01-2007, 10:04 AM
we cannot tackle on special teams,,,,,,,,,,, that will cost us atleast 2 games this year.
Im happy with the d and the offense...... but between the kicker and missed tackles, we are going 8-8 this season. Kevink

Iron Lungs
09-01-2007, 10:19 AM
"KevinK" wrote:

we cannot tackle on special teams,,,,,,,,,,, that will cost us atleast 2 games this year.
Im happy with the d and the offense...... but between the kicker and missed tackles, we are going 8-8 this season. Kevink

I wish I couldn't agree with you, but....with what the "special" teams has show us in the pre-season, you will be right.

davike
09-01-2007, 11:25 AM
"KevinK" wrote:

I am not worried about special teams tackling right now....we cut most of the guys who made up our punting unit. We will see completely different guys making tackles on special teams in the regular season.

davike
09-01-2007, 11:35 AM
We have almost no proven talent in many key positions. We have allot of potential but thats about it.

Also the media hates us.....I have only heard a few guys say that we could be a good team, one of them was Mike Mayock.

Marrdro
09-01-2007, 01:24 PM
"StillPurple" wrote:

I wish you would quit beating around the bush with respect to your confidence level in our young QB.
I mean really, tell us what you really think.
;D

singersp
09-01-2007, 01:42 PM
"StillPurple" wrote:

Wrong!

Vikings - Bears game Dec. 3, 2006;

Jackson
3/4 35 yds, 0 TD's 0 INT's

vikefan522
09-01-2007, 04:45 PM
I agree, THe media does hate our team. They are saying green bay and detriot, are

going to have big years. i dont argee. the lions have no secondary at all. they are riding

calvin johnson bandwagon. he unproven also. AP aka AD(all day) was the sooners

offense in college and secondly the learning curve for a nfl wr is way tougher than the

learning curve for a nfl running back. i personally think sidney rice can have a better yr

than johnson for the fact that he is "under the radar" and wont be double teamed as

often as calvin. the lions really dont have a solid running game and they have a sad

defense, our d-line is better! our linebacking core is better! our secondary is way better!

the lions are the nfc darkhouse and ranked way higher than us! so you cant really say

rankings are based on last years stats. lets go to green bay, there offense has

question marks, they have no running game. there passing game, is a question mark

you never know which brett favre shows up. i'll admit there defnese is solid. good d-line,

there linebackers play well but the secondary has holes in it.
the chicago bears, name

a player on the bears offense thats scary, you really cant name one. teams last year

stacked the box to shut down the running game and got beat deep b/c they have

speed at the Wr position. with the absence of thomas jones, they have a question mark

at rb also. defensively personally i dont think the bears defense is that good. there

front four just rushes the qb, while there linebackers run free but if there linebackers

arent running free usually teams have success moving the ball on the bears. the

secondary is overrated also, when tommy harris went down, and the front four wasnt

really doing anything, they got exposed. the system that the bears use is brillant, it

allows them 2 swarm 2 the ball and create turnovers, b/c the qb has no time 2 throw the

ball.(btw i live in chicago and i see the bears every sunday and seen them practice).

The minnesota vikings, unproven qb, wit a strong arm, accurate, he needs some

playing time so he can get used to it. i think t-jack can be the next mcnabb, btw

childress molded mcnabb into the qb he is today. a very solid offensive line and a great

running game helps alot also. i know what people are thinking, teams are just going to

stack the box and shut down the running game. well thats why we have troy williamson

wit the speed 2 beat any defense back in the league according to the scouting reports.

with his offensive program 2 fix his drop problem and now he playing for his job. teams

wont double cover him and he should/better* make big plays down the field. sidney rice

another explosive receiver big physical guy, after watching his tape and reading his

report he should make an impact. basically if our offense actually moves the ball down

the field and doesnt turn the ball over. we should have a good yr of vikings football

hopefully!

nfl LIVE says "you have 2 pass if u have any chance of winning in this league".

1. the chargers dont have an explosive passing game, yet that have success.(they had rivers in at qb) (he is pretty young, there wr's r lackluster also)

2. baltimore ravens had a good running game and a great defense they won a superbowl.

our defense was 7th overall last year. last in pass defense. but only allowed 15 passing

td. Tom brady lit us up for like 5. so it wasnt that bad. this year our defensive

coordinator is focusing on an pass rush. with a pass rush, it takes the pressure off the

secondary and we should be able to create turnover and we should have to blitz so

much. it wouldnt allow teams 2 spread us out to keep us from blitzing.