PDA

View Full Version : Access Vikings:McMullen admits mistake



Garland Greene
08-31-2007, 10:40 AM
http://www.startribune.com/blogs/vikings/

Considering the fact receiver Billy McMullen is one of the more mild-mannered players on the Vikings, it was a big surprise to see him take an unnecessary roughness penalty in the second quarter when he slapped a Dallas player after the play was dead.

“I lost my cool and that’s something I very rarely do,” said McMullen, who reacted that way after being subjected to trash talk. “It won’t happen anymore. Sometimes things rolls like that when you get so much emotion in the game. It was just a dumb penalty.”

Brad Childress pulled McMullen from the game after the penalty, had a brief conversation with him and sent him back in. It was clear Childress said what he felt needed to be said and let the incident go. “I’ve known him for a while,” said McMullen, who was with the Eagles when Childress was that team’s offensive coordinator. “He knows I’m not like that. I just told him, “Coach, I’ll try to get it back.’”

I always thought it was funny to see someone hit another player in the face with a helmet on. I have seen 2 players end up breaking their hand because of it. Not a smart move period.

Garland Greene
08-31-2007, 10:43 AM
other tidbits from the blog
http://www.startribune.com/blogs/vikings/

The next time the Vikings take the field it will be for real and right now it sure sounds like the right guard (Artis Hicks vs. Anthony Herrera) and right tackle (Ryan Cook vs. Marcus Johnson) battles remain ongoing. “I would just tell you this — both right guards and both right tackles as it stands right now would be guys that would be up and eligible to play when you go to a 45 [man roster],” Childress said. “So they are going to be there. But we haven’t determined who’s the starter at right guard or right tackle. Usually you go back and look at the tape and see if somebody was extraordinary.”

– Safety Greg Blue has been in a big-time battle for his roster spot but he got an opportunity tonight to make an impression. That came because starters Darren Sharper and Dwight Smith were in the game for only one series and Mike Doss and Tank Williams sat out because of injury. Blue finished with four tackles; he also saw duty on the special teams.

– Special teams had its problems again tonight. The lowlight was a 95-yard first-quarter punt return for a touchdown by Dallas’ Jerheme Urban. Childress admitted he will feel more comfortable come Sept. 9 when the Vikings have their top special teams players on the field. “That’s kind of the double-edged sword of when you’re trying to give guys opportunities to make it, guys that may not be the starter at that position, it’s tough,” Childress said. “It’s tough to watch the ball come back up the field.” Linebacker Vinny Ciurciu, signed as a free agent because of his ability on special teams, missed the past two games because of a broken finger. He should be ready for Atlanta.

– Why does linebacker and special teams ace Heath Farwell keep making this team? One word: desire. Thursday night in what for many was a nothing game, Farwell went out and led the Vikings with nine tackles and had a forced fumble. In the preseason opener, Farwell had a team-high 10 tackles with a quarterback hurry and a sack. He might not be the most talented guy on the field but nobody works harder.

happy camper
08-31-2007, 10:44 AM
I think Billy was more mad about the play. Here he is trying to make the team, and when he gets the ball thrown to him, it is a bad pass and is behind him.

Then he gets someone bumping him talking trash.

Not saying it was okay.

tastywaves
08-31-2007, 10:56 AM
"Garland" wrote:


other tidbits from the blog
http://www.startribune.com/blogs/vikings/

The next time the Vikings take the field it will be for real and right now it sure sounds like the right guard (Artis Hicks vs. Anthony Herrera) and right tackle (Ryan Cook vs. Marcus Johnson) battles remain ongoing. “I would just tell you this — both right guards and both right tackles as it stands right now would be guys that would be up and eligible to play when you go to a 45 [man roster],” Childress said. “So they are going to be there. But we haven’t determined who’s the starter at right guard or right tackle. Usually you go back and look at the tape and see if somebody was extraordinary.”

– Safety Greg Blue has been in a big-time battle for his roster spot but he got an opportunity tonight to make an impression. That came because starters Darren Sharper and Dwight Smith were in the game for only one series and Mike Doss and Tank Williams sat out because of injury. Blue finished with four tackles; he also saw duty on the special teams.

– Special teams had its problems again tonight. The lowlight was a 95-yard first-quarter punt return for a touchdown by Dallas’ Jerheme Urban. Childress admitted he will feel more comfortable come Sept. 9 when the Vikings have their top special teams players on the field. “That’s kind of the double-edged sword of when you’re trying to give guys opportunities to make it, guys that may not be the starter at that position, it’s tough,” Childress said. “It’s tough to watch the ball come back up the field.” Linebacker Vinny Ciurciu, signed as a free agent because of his ability on special teams, missed the past two games because of a broken finger. He should be ready for Atlanta.

– Why does linebacker and special teams ace Heath Farwell keep making this team? One word: desire. Thursday night in what for many was a nothing game, Farwell went out and led the Vikings with nine tackles and had a forced fumble. In the preseason opener, Farwell had a team-high 10 tackles with a quarterback hurry and a sack. He might not be the most talented guy on the field but nobody works harder.





Definitely true about Farwell, puts everything he has in to every play.
Blue is in a tough battle to make the team, which is too bad, I like the way he plays.
No way he bumps Sharper, Smith or Doss.
Tank is his best shot.
Body I thought has played pretty well in preseason as well, doubt he makes the final roster, but wouldn't be surprised if someone picks him up.

The other guy who I thought had a solid game last night was Charles Gordon.
He got worked hard by the opposing team, but I thought he held up well and showed he's a pretty decent cover guy with the ability to bring his guy down.
He should be in the dime package with Mcauley over Whitaker and Devonte.

marstc09
08-31-2007, 11:30 AM
"Garland" wrote:


other tidbits from the blog
http://www.startribune.com/blogs/vikings/

The next time the Vikings take the field it will be for real and right now it sure sounds like the right guard (Artis Hicks vs. Anthony Herrera) and right tackle (Ryan Cook vs. Marcus Johnson) battles remain ongoing. “I would just tell you this — both right guards and both right tackles as it stands right now would be guys that would be up and eligible to play when you go to a 45 [man roster],” Childress said. “So they are going to be there. But we haven’t determined who’s the starter at right guard or right tackle. Usually you go back and look at the tape and see if somebody was extraordinary.”

– Safety Greg Blue has been in a big-time battle for his roster spot but he got an opportunity tonight to make an impression. That came because starters Darren Sharper and Dwight Smith were in the game for only one series and Mike Doss and Tank Williams sat out because of injury. Blue finished with four tackles; he also saw duty on the special teams.

– Special teams had its problems again tonight. The lowlight was a 95-yard first-quarter punt return for a touchdown by Dallas’ Jerheme Urban. Childress admitted he will feel more comfortable come Sept. 9 when the Vikings have their top special teams players on the field. “That’s kind of the double-edged sword of when you’re trying to give guys opportunities to make it, guys that may not be the starter at that position, it’s tough,” Childress said. “It’s tough to watch the ball come back up the field.” Linebacker Vinny Ciurciu, signed as a free agent because of his ability on special teams, missed the past two games because of a broken finger. He should be ready for Atlanta.

– Why does linebacker and special teams ace Heath Farwell keep making this team? One word: desire. Thursday night in what for many was a nothing game, Farwell went out and led the Vikings with nine tackles and had a forced fumble. In the preseason opener, Farwell had a team-high 10 tackles with a quarterback hurry and a sack. He might not be the most talented guy on the field but nobody works harder.






I really didnt see much out of any of them on the right side. I would imagine Hicks and Johnson because of experience. I think Blues time is up.
It is too bad but thats life. I think they should keep him for special teams.
Special teams better get better or we are in trouble. I also like Farwell.

snowinapril
08-31-2007, 11:40 AM
This was posted, in the Post Game articles, but I am going to let it slide, because it is taking on its own conversation and doesn't need to be lumped in with all the other articles.

snowinapril
08-31-2007, 11:44 AM
Sarcasm
::)


OhioViking1975 says:

August 31st, 2007 at 12:18 am

Now that the pre-season is over. ChillWeasel can open up his Kick A$$ Offense. With the talent on this team the 1998 Vikings scoring should fall by week 12. T. Jackson will be the League MVP. Chester and Adrian each over 1,000 yds. Troy Williamson will have 1,500 yds receiving with 17 td’s. ChillWeasel will get Coach of the Year.

We will have home field throughout on our way to Arizona and the SuperBowl!!!!!!

MAN!!!! What have I been drinking?!?!?!


Special Teams guys:


– Why does linebacker and special teams ace Heath Farwell keep making this team? One word: desire. Thursday night in what for many was a nothing game, Farwell went out and led the Vikings with nine tackles and had a forced fumble. In the preseason opener, Farwell had a team-high 10 tackles with a quarterback hurry and a sack. He might not be the most talented guy on the field but nobody works harder.


Childress admitted he will feel more comfortable come Sept. 9 when the Vikings have their top special teams players on the field. “That’s kind of the double-edged sword of when you’re trying to give guys opportunities to make it, guys that may not be the starter at that position, it’s tough,” Childress said. “It’s tough to watch the ball come back up the field.” Linebacker Vinny Ciurciu, signed as a free agent because of his ability on special teams, missed the past two games because of a broken finger. He should be ready for Atlanta.

So will I Chilly, so will I.

singersp
08-31-2007, 11:22 PM
Cogs already posted this article in the appropiate post-game articles thread...

http://www.purplepride.org/forums/index.php?topic=37274.0

thevikingfan
08-31-2007, 11:48 PM
"snowinapril" wrote:


Sarcasm
::)


OhioViking1975 says:

August 31st, 2007 at 12:18 am

Now that the pre-season is over. ChillWeasel can open up his Kick A$$ Offense. With the talent on this team the 1998 Vikings scoring should fall by week 12. T. Jackson will be the League MVP. Chester and Adrian each over 1,000 yds. Troy Williamson will have 1,500 yds receiving with 17 td’s. ChillWeasel will get Coach of the Year.

We will have home field throughout on our way to Arizona and the SuperBowl!!!!!!

MAN!!!! What have I been drinking?!?!?!


Special Teams guys:


– Why does linebacker and special teams ace Heath Farwell keep making this team? One word: desire. Thursday night in what for many was a nothing game, Farwell went out and led the Vikings with nine tackles and had a forced fumble. In the preseason opener, Farwell had a team-high 10 tackles with a quarterback hurry and a sack. He might not be the most talented guy on the field but nobody works harder.


Childress admitted he will feel more comfortable come Sept. 9 when the Vikings have their top special teams players on the field. “That’s kind of the double-edged sword of when you’re trying to give guys opportunities to make it, guys that may not be the starter at that position, it’s tough,” Childress said. “It’s tough to watch the ball come back up the field.” Linebacker Vinny Ciurciu, signed as a free agent because of his ability on special teams, missed the past two games because of a broken finger. He should be ready for Atlanta.

So will I Chilly, so will I.

Probably this stuff

http://www.papermag.com/blogs/cocaine-drink.jpg

tb04512
08-31-2007, 11:52 PM
"thevikingfan" wrote:


"snowinapril" wrote:


Sarcasm
::)


OhioViking1975 says:

August 31st, 2007 at 12:18 am

Now that the pre-season is over. ChillWeasel can open up his Kick A$$ Offense. With the talent on this team the 1998 Vikings scoring should fall by week 12. T. Jackson will be the League MVP. Chester and Adrian each over 1,000 yds. Troy Williamson will have 1,500 yds receiving with 17 td’s. ChillWeasel will get Coach of the Year.

We will have home field throughout on our way to Arizona and the SuperBowl!!!!!!

MAN!!!! What have I been drinking?!?!?!


Special Teams guys:


– Why does linebacker and special teams ace Heath Farwell keep making this team? One word: desire. Thursday night in what for many was a nothing game, Farwell went out and led the Vikings with nine tackles and had a forced fumble. In the preseason opener, Farwell had a team-high 10 tackles with a quarterback hurry and a sack. He might not be the most talented guy on the field but nobody works harder.


Childress admitted he will feel more comfortable come Sept. 9 when the Vikings have their top special teams players on the field. “That’s kind of the double-edged sword of when you’re trying to give guys opportunities to make it, guys that may not be the starter at that position, it’s tough,” Childress said. “It’s tough to watch the ball come back up the field.” Linebacker Vinny Ciurciu, signed as a free agent because of his ability on special teams, missed the past two games because of a broken finger. He should be ready for Atlanta.

So will I Chilly, so will I.

Probably this stuff

http://www.papermag.com/blogs/cocaine-drink.jpg


cocaine in a can babyy

jessejames09
09-01-2007, 01:33 AM
Actually, that's 'red balls' tb.