PDA

View Full Version : VIKINGS QB DERBY: Jackson gets starting nod

cogitans
08-28-2007, 05:12 AM
VIKINGS QB DERBY: Jackson gets starting nod (http://www.twincities.com/vikings/ci_6735891)

BY SEAN JENSEN
Pioneer Press
Article Last Updated: 08/28/2007 12:25:40 AM CDT

For Tarvaris Jackson, Monday was just another day, even if Vikings coach Brad Childress named him the starting quarterback after practice.

PurpleTide
08-28-2007, 05:24 AM
Looks like we're set to open the season at QB, at least 1st, and 2nd. Thinking Bollinger will be 3rd, and they'll develope roster Thigpen. I got a little goose flesh for T-Jack when I read this, I believe Tarvaris is gonna be pretty gol' darnit' good. Good stuff Cogitans thanx.

jkjuggalo
08-28-2007, 05:43 AM
We all knew that this was inevitable.
This was just a formality.
I'm so happy that I got TJ w/ the last pick of my fantasy draft!
He will provide some good depth for me at QB.
I'll probably start him when we play the Lions and Packers at home ;D

vikingivan
08-28-2007, 06:06 AM
"PurpleTide" wrote:

Looks like we're set to open the season at QB, at least 1st, and 2nd. Thinking Bollinger will be 3rd, and they'll develope roster Thigpen. I got a little goose flesh for T-Jack when I read this, I believe Tarvaris is gonna be pretty gol' darnit' good. Good stuff Cogitans thanx.

They might as well release Bollinger.
He might be able to get on with another team.
There is no reason to keep him around as a third stringer.

singersp
08-28-2007, 08:11 AM
Vikings feel future's in good hands with Jackson at quarterback (http://www.usatoday.com/sports/football/nfl/vikings/2007-08-27-Jackson_N.htm)

Updated 9h 43m ago

By Larry Weisman, USA TODAY

Tarvaris Jackson knows how important footwork is to a quarterback.

Most of it concerns successfully putting one foot in the front of the other....

Marrdro
08-28-2007, 08:22 AM
Great reads guys.

Not bad numbers.
It would look better though with a TD in there someplace.
Ever the optimist, those will come when we see the whole offense in a game for real.

Although he has yet to throw a touchdown during the exhibition season, Jackson has completed 19 of 33 passes for 212 yards, including four passes for 20 or more yards. His passer rating is 76.8, and his only turnover was a fumbled exchange Saturday in Seattle with center Matt Birk.

PurpleTide
08-28-2007, 08:44 AM
In limited time against the plowboys, I just want to see him drive the offense downfield. A touchdown pass would be nice, How about a 1 play drive with a quick strike to T-Will, and then another series with a 8-play, scoring drive. The one play builds quick strike confidense, and a good drive would be a building block going into kickoff weekend against the Falcons.

Marrdro
08-28-2007, 08:48 AM
"PurpleTide" wrote:

In limited time against the plowboys, I just want to see him drive the offense downfield. A touchdown pass would be nice, How about a 1 play drive with a quick strike to T-Will, and then another series with a 8-play, scoring drive. The one play builds quick strike confidense, and a good drive would be a building block going into kickoff weekend against the Falcons.

Playing to the percieved strength of our offense I would like to see a controlled drive that mixes in several run and pass plays all the while eating up say 8:30 off the clock finished by either a running TD or a Passing TD.

Icing on the cake would be for at least 3 WR and the TE catch the ball and CT/AD run effectively off both the left and right sides.

After that happens, sit them down, cool them off and let the scrubs have at it.

Freya
08-28-2007, 09:11 AM
The right decision. Good on ye, Childress.

V-Unit
08-28-2007, 09:27 AM
There were at least two old timers who said that Bollinger would start the season for us.

Where are they now?

nephilimstorm
08-28-2007, 09:31 AM
Bollinger is now going to be on the cutting board :-X

singersp
08-28-2007, 09:34 AM
"V" wrote:

There were at least two old timers who said that Bollinger would start the season for us.

Where are they now?

They were basing that off of how well they were performing in offseason. At that time, they were justified with their reasonings.

C Mac D
08-28-2007, 09:39 AM
"jkjuggalo" wrote:

We all knew that this was inevitable.
This was just a formality.
I'm so happy that I got TJ w/ the last pick of my fantasy draft!
He will provide some good depth for me at QB.
I'll probably start him when we play the Lions and Packers at home ;D

Definitely against the Lions... the Colts tore apart their secondary. Sorgi even had 170 yards and a couple touchdowns.

nephilimstorm
08-28-2007, 09:47 AM
Well thats what the Lions get for trading away thier best defender

cajunvike
08-28-2007, 10:20 AM
"Nephilim" wrote:

Bollinger is now going to be on the cutting board :-X

Don't be so sure!

V-Unit
08-28-2007, 10:27 AM
"singersp" wrote:

"V" wrote:

Where are they now?

They were basing that off of how well they were performing in offseason. At that time, they were justified with their reasonings.

Yes, they were justified. They were also wrong.

DarrinNelsonguy
08-28-2007, 10:42 AM
It should be an improvement over Johnson's weak arm last year.

NodakPaul
08-28-2007, 10:54 AM
"V" wrote:

"singersp" wrote:

"V" wrote:

Where are they now?

I was one of them, and I already admitted it in the Holcomb thread - hours after the Holcomb signing.
I hope you are as quick to admit when you are wrong, since you feel the need to pat yourself on the back now.
;)

And don't forget, I never said that Brooks was a better QB.
I was, and still am, a TJack fan.
I just wasn't sure that TJack would progress fast enough to give us the best chance to win come September.
I am glad that he did, and I am looking forward to the home opener!
(Looking forward to Thursday's game too, but they announced on KFAN this morning that the starters would only see one series - as expected.)

Purple Floyd
08-28-2007, 11:07 AM
"Marrdro" wrote:

Great reads guys.

Not bad numbers.
Ever the optimist, those will come when we see the whole offense in a game for real.

Although he has yet to throw a touchdown during the exhibition season, Jackson has completed 19 of 33 passes for 212 yards, including four passes for 20 or more yards. His passer rating is 76.8, and his only turnover was a fumbled exchange Saturday in Seattle with center Matt Birk.

Did you pull that from a thread from last preseason? because it sounds strangely familiar.

Marrdro
08-28-2007, 11:09 AM
"UffDaVikes" wrote:

"Marrdro" wrote:

Great reads guys.

Not bad numbers.

Did you pull that from a thread from last preseason? because it sounds strangely familiar.

Out of the article at the begining of this thread.

V-Unit
08-28-2007, 11:41 AM
"NodakPaul" wrote:

"V" wrote:

"singersp" wrote:

"V" wrote:

Where are they now?

I was one of them, and I already admitted it in the Holcomb thread - hours after the Holcomb signing.
I hope you are as quick to admit when you are wrong, since you feel the need to pat yourself on the back now.
;)

And don't forget, I never said that Brooks was a better QB.
I was, and still am, a TJack fan.
I just wasn't sure that TJack would progress fast enough to give us the best chance to win come September.
I am glad that he did, and I am looking forward to the home opener!
(Looking forward to Thursday's game too, but they announced on KFAN this morning that the starters would only see one series - as expected.)

Hey man, we're all on the same side here, and if you ever call me out I'll own up to it.

That argument got heated. If anything, it's a shame Bollinger isn't even good enough to be backup, let alone compete.