PDA

View Full Version : Defenses will 'stack the box' against us all year

StillPurple
08-27-2007, 01:57 PM
My worst fear is increasingly coming true: lack of a threatening passing game to open up the field, will allow opposing defenses to "stack the box" by bringing safeties in for run support, into the "box" (the area right behind the defensive line). AP and Chester will be running into a box set up to beat the run. I hope I am wrong about this, but I increasingly fear it.

I still think the running backs can have good years, even if this does happen. I mean, Thomas Jones for the Bears had good years even when defenses stacked the box, and I think Adrian Peterson is going to be better than Jones.

But just be prepared to see this a lot this year.

Zeus
08-27-2007, 02:03 PM
"StillPurple" wrote:

My worst fear is increasingly coming true: lack of a threatening passing game to open up the field, will allow opposing defenses to "stack the box" by bringing safeties in for run support, into the "box" (the area right behind the defensive line). AP and Chester will be running into a box set up to beat the run. I hope I am wrong about this, but I increasingly fear it.

I still think the running backs can have good years, even if this does happen. I mean, Thomas Jones for the Bears had good years even when defenses stacked the box, and I think Adrian Peterson is going to be better than Jones.

I'm prepared to see all sorts of things a lot this year, none of which will be determined by a few meaningless quarters of vanilla pre-season football.

=Z=

nephilimstorm
I asm not worried. I just hope that the PA passing game is gonna hurt teams that do that :)

Marrdro
"StillPurple" wrote:

Enlighten me my friend.
What is your justification????

The long run the AD against the Jets?

Consistent yards gained by CT and AD against the Seahawks?
Nice gains by B-wade against the Seahawks?

Seems (I'm not pulling the stats sheets up again today you look) our production is pretty good considering the number of plays (somewhat limited) our starters have had so far.

duvaldomo
08-27-2007, 02:06 PM
Yes we will see alot of that this year. However I think we will play action alot this year and I am hoping to see more trick plays like when wade threw to shinicoe. By week 8 I think teams will stop sleeping on our passing game.

Caine
08-27-2007, 02:08 PM
"Marrdro" wrote:

"StillPurple" wrote:

Enlighten me my friend.

Seems (I'm not pulling the stats sheets up again today you look) our production is pretty good considering the number of plays (somewhat limited) our starters have had so far.

I can see his point.
Our passing game isn't threatening, but our running game is probably making teams take another look.
I would stack the box against Jackson and MAKE him beat me in the air...especially since we haven't got anyone on our roster who - at this point -has proven that they can.

And while our Offense has moved the ball well at times, their lack of TD's is a bit...concerning.
With the regular season only weeks away, I guess I expected to see some kind of ability to score appear - especially since we're facing bare-bones defenses at this point.

Caine

thevikingfan
08-27-2007, 02:10 PM
"StillPurple" wrote:

i dont know what ur talking about.From what i saw from jackson i encourage stacking the box.he made some nice throws like that 35 yard outto wade when he pump faked,and the 23 yarder that he zipped over the head of the corner in in front of the safety.Perfect pass!The vikes offense had 221 yards of offense at the half.....i think thats more than we ever had all last year

NodakPaul
08-27-2007, 02:30 PM
"StillPurple" wrote:

LMAO.
Gee, thanks for defining what you mean by "stacking the box".
We aren't Packer fans, we know what it means.

If they stack the box, it will be for short pass defense as well as run support.
Especially when the majority of our good plays have been short timed passing routes...

Mikecarter81
08-27-2007, 02:32 PM
I kind of hope they do, it will take a lot of pressure off of the kid.
I really think the wide outs might make a few more plays then some might expect.

Mike

Marrdro
08-27-2007, 02:33 PM
"Caine" wrote:

"Marrdro" wrote:

"StillPurple" wrote:

Enlighten me my friend.

I can see his point.
Our passing game isn't threatening, but our running game is probably making teams take another look.
I would stack the box against Jackson and MAKE him beat me in the air...especially since we haven't got anyone on our roster who - at this point -has proven that they can.

And while our Offense has moved the ball well at times, their lack of TD's is a bit...concerning.
With the regular season only weeks away, I guess I expected to see some kind of ability to score appear - especially since we're facing bare-bones defenses at this point.

Caine

I look at it from another perspective.

With a young QB in the backfield teams will tend to blitz more than say stacking the box against the run.
I wish I would have paid more attention to the Seahawks games so I could attest to this however, my feeling is that it is pretty hard to a) stack the box, b) Blitz the QB and c) stop the pass.
Somehow someone will get open.

What I can do is take a look at what the starters did in the Seahawks the series and see that our offense was not consistent with either the run or pass but mixed it up pretty well and were still pretty effective with both the run and the pass.

3-J.Brown kicks 70 yards from SEA 30 to end zone, Touchback.

1-10-MIN 20
(13:30) 29-C.Taylor left tackle to MIN 22 for 2 yards (97-P.Kerney).

2-8-MIN 22
(12:56) 29-C.Taylor left end to MIN 26 for 4 yards (91-C.Darby).

3-4-MIN 26
(12:20) PENALTY on MIN-62-R.Cook, False Start, 5 yards, enforced at MIN 26 - No Play.

3-9-MIN 21
(12:01) (Shotgun) 7-T.Jackson pass short right to 18-S.Rice to MIN 29 for 8 yards (23-M.Trufant).

4-1-MIN 29
(11:21) 5-C.Kluwe punts 59 yards to SEA 12, Center-46-C.Loeffler. 81-N.Burleson to MIN 35 for 53 yards (30-M.Moore
Run, Run, Pass

Next Series.
3-J.Brown kicks 70 yards from SEA 30 to MIN 0. 14-A.Allison to MIN 28 for 28 yards (39-C.Wallace).

1-10-MIN 28
(8:53) 7-T.Jackson pass short right to 19-B.Wade to MIN 37 for 9 yards (23-M.Trufant).

2-1-MIN 37
(8:20) 28-A.Peterson right tackle to MIN 37 for no gain (99-R.Bernard).

3-1-MIN 37
(7:42) 28-A.Peterson left end to MIN 40 for 3 yards (57-K.Bentley).

1-10-MIN 40
(7:06) PENALTY on MIN-62-R.Cook, False Start, 5 yards, enforced at MIN 40 - No Play.

1-15-MIN 35
(6:42) 7-T.Jackson pass short right to 19-B.Wade to MIN 48 for 13 yards (57-K.Bentley).

2-2-MIN 48
(6:05) 28-A.Peterson right tackle to SEA 49 for 3 yards (57-K.Bentley).

1-10-SEA 49
(5:26) 28-A.Peterson up the middle to SEA 45 for 4 yards (23-M.Trufant, 97-P.Kerney).

2-6-SEA 45
(4:45) (Shotgun) 7-T.Jackson pass deep left to 19-B.Wade to SEA 22 for 23 yards (24-D.Grant).

1-10-SEA 22
(4:10) 29-C.Taylor left end to SEA 21 for 1 yard (97-P.Kerney).

2-9-SEA 21
(3:32) 28-A.Peterson up the middle to SEA 15 for 6 yards (24-D.Grant).

3-3-SEA 15
(2:54) 7-T.Jackson pass incomplete short left to 81-V.Shiancoe. PENALTY on SEA-57-K.Bentley, Defensive Pass Interference, 1 yard, enforced at SEA 15 - No Play.

1-10-SEA 14
(2:50) 28-A.Peterson up the middle to SEA 19 for -5 yards (99-R.Bernard).

2-15-SEA 19
(2:11) 7-T.Jackson pass incomplete short left to 85-R.Ferguson [91-C.Darby].

3-15-SEA 19
(2:07) 7-T.Jackson pass incomplete short right to 18-S.Rice [26-J.Wilson].

4-15-SEA 19
(2:04) 8-R.Longwell 37 yard field goal is No Good, Wide Right, Center-46-C.Loeffler, Holder-5-C.Kluwe.

P,R,R,P,R,R,P,R,R,R,P(I),P(I).

Next series
1-10-MIN 22
(12:51) 7-T.Jackson pass incomplete short right to 81-V.Shiancoe [57-K.Bentley].

2-10-MIN 22
(12:46) 7-T.Jackson pass short right to 19-B.Wade pushed ob at MIN 27 for 5 yards (23-M.Trufant).

3-5-MIN 27
(12:24) 7-T.Jackson pass short right to 18-S.Rice to MIN 31 for 4 yards (23-M.Trufant) [57-K.Bentley].

P,P,P,

Next Series
1-10-SEA 43
(9:37) 7-T.Jackson pass deep left to 19-B.Wade ran ob at SEA 8 for 35 yards.

1-8-SEA 8
(9:15) 28-A.Peterson left guard to SEA 6 for 2 yards (24-D.Grant).

2-6-SEA 6
(8:39) 19-B.Wade pass short right to 81-V.Shiancoe for 6 yards, TOUCHDOWN. Wade took handoff from QB.

8-R.Longwell extra point is GOOD, Center-46-C.Loeffler, Holder-5-C.Kluwe.

P,R,P(Trick Play)
;D

Next Series
1-10-MIN 26
(3:23) 29-C.Taylor left tackle to MIN 35 for 9 yards (57-K.Bentley).

2-1-MIN 35
(2:49) 29-C.Taylor left end pushed ob at MIN 49 for 14 yards (25-B.Russell).

1-10-MIN 49
(2:20) 7-T.Jackson pass short left to 85-R.Ferguson to SEA 40 for 11 yards (21-K.Jennings).

Two-Minute Warning

1-10-SEA 40
(2:00) 7-T.Jackson pass deep right to 19-B.Wade to SEA 6 for 34 yards (23-M.Trufant). The Replay Assistant challenged the pass completion ruling, and the play was REVERSED. 7-T.Jackson pass incomplete deep right to 19-B.Wade (23-M.Trufant).

2-10-SEA 40
(1:54) 29-C.Taylor left guard to SEA 38 for 2 yards (91-C.Darby).

3-8-SEA 38
(1:20) (Shotgun) 7-T.Jackson pass short right to 18-S.Rice to SEA 29 for 9 yards (23-M.Trufant).

1-10-SEA 29
(:53) 7-T.Jackson pass incomplete short left to 19-B.Wade.

2-10-SEA 29
(:50) 7-T.Jackson pass incomplete deep left to 18-S.Rice (23-M.Trufant).

Timeout #2 by MIN at 00:43.

3-10-SEA 29
(:43) (Shotgun) 7-T.Jackson pass incomplete deep left to 19-B.Wade (26-J.Wilson) [25-B.Russell].

4-10-SEA 29
(:38) 8-R.Longwell 47 yard field goal is GOOD, Center-46-C.Loeffler, Holder-5-C.Kluwe.

R,R,P,P,R,P,P(I),P(I),P(I),FG

You hit the nail on the head Caine, if we would have scored a TD through the air (via a QB pass) things would look a heck of alot better and we probably wouldn't even be having this discussion.
;D

Ever the optimist,,,,,,, I believe they (TD's) will come.

V-Unit
08-27-2007, 02:43 PM
Let them stack. It won't stop the run game. Run is obviously our strong point, thus it is obvious that teams will try to stop us running and force us to pass. They key is not if the will stack the box, it is how we will handle it. I think we are talented enough to run anyways, and hopefully set up playaction because of our effective running.

Marrdro
08-27-2007, 02:44 PM
"V" wrote:

Let them stack. It won't stop the run game. Run is obviously our strong point, thus it is obvious that teams will try to stop us running and force us to pass. They key is not if the will stack the box, it is how we will handle it. I think we are talented enough to run anyways, and hopefully set up playaction because of our effective running.

Well played.
Great point.
;D

baumy300
08-27-2007, 02:49 PM
"V" wrote:

Exactly.

I STILL don't know why a lot of people have no faith in T-Jack. Most of us can see this, but the rest of the NFL should be prepared for his emergence this year. Not saying he's going to be a pro bowler. but he's going to be pretty effin' good if you ask me,

Marrdro
08-27-2007, 02:50 PM
"baumy300" wrote:

"V" wrote:

Exactly.

I STILL don't know why a lot of people have no faith in T-Jack. Most of us can see this, but the rest of the NFL should be prepared for his emergence this year. Not saying he's going to be a pro bowler. but he's going to be pretty effin' good if you ask me,

All I want him to do this year is not make a lot of huge turnovers.
Don't try to force anything.
The TD's will come as will the passing game.

baumy300
08-27-2007, 02:54 PM
"Marrdro" wrote:

"baumy300" wrote:

"V" wrote:

Exactly.

All I want him to do this year is not make a lot of huge turnovers.
Don't try to force anything.
The TD's will come as will the passing game.

I think that's Childress' game plan, right?

I we just set up short passes to our TE's and use a few quick slant routes, we will keep the D on their toes. I know we could average about 35-40 run plays a game though, and still have two decently fresh backs. But we are still going to have to pass. It all will come down to drops I believe.

I can't wait though. One more week.

Billy Boy
08-27-2007, 03:35 PM
"StillPurple" wrote:

What, the discussion in this thread wasnt good enough for you?

Vikings to see 8 in the box all season (http://www.purplepride.org/forums/index.php?topic=36215.msg610412#msg610412)

The passing game can only be better then last year, a year which the run did fine for the great majority of the year last year, and has been MUCH upgraded since. Your not presenting anything new here.

ultravikingfan
08-27-2007, 04:57 PM
Last year
Childress
Unproven QB
Who at WR?
A good line
2 good RB's

I hope it did not require too much thought to come up with this.

Vikes_King
08-27-2007, 04:58 PM
oh i'm not too worried about it :) CT & AP are both studs.. im excited

NodakPaul
08-27-2007, 05:03 PM
"Billy" wrote:

"StillPurple" wrote:

What, the discussion in this thread wasnt good enough for you?

Vikings to see 8 in the box all season (http://www.purplepride.org/forums/index.php?topic=36215.msg610412#msg610412)

The passing game can only be better then last year, a year which the run did fine for the great majority of the year last year, and has been MUCH upgraded since. Your not presenting anything new here.

LMAO.
This guy basically created a duplicate of his own thread!
Someone needs to revoke his thread starting privileges! ;D

Big C
08-27-2007, 05:16 PM
It is what it is. I am more worried about our WRs than TJ. TJ handled a lot of pressure pretty decently against the Seahawks and took shots when the recievers were 1-on-1 (8 men in the box). The one to Troy was a beauty but (of course) he couldn't haul it in. Troy is NOT a deep threat reciever. Need to look for someone else to fill that up and get him more involved in the crossing patterns and short routes.

What this all adds up to is a lot of field goals. I'm hoping AP and TJs legs are the x-factor to our Red-Zone offense this year.

jargomcfargo
08-27-2007, 05:16 PM
This is a post I made from June 11.

"jargomcfargo" wrote:

I have an oversimplistic concept of the upcoming season.

The defenses will put 8 in the box in an attempt to stop our running game and make our qb beat them with his arm.

The offenses will spread the Vikings defense out and pass,pass,pass.

That is how it will start.

I think the passing game will improve quite a lot if the O-line can block,period.
The short ball control passing game will be good for a qb with little experience. But I think the long pass will open up also this year if the line can block.
If the passing game comes around,the running game will be incredible!

The defense will improve with a better pass rush.I just hope they don't have to gamble too much to get one.

This will be the year we see if it is play calling or execution IMO !

This is an old tired subject. But 8 in the box will help the passing game as soon as TJ learns to read where the pressure is going to come from.
My only criticism of him Friday was his inability to make them pay for their blitz. He almost did. And it will come. Let them stack the box.

douginc
08-27-2007, 05:33 PM
I know, I know.
The passing game was terrible last year.
But come on, from what we've seen in pre-season alone, there is definite reason to be at least a little optimistic that our pass game will be much improved.

Bobby Wade was looked terrific so far.
He had one drop, but has since rebounded and been terrific off the line with very good agility and quickness.
Robert (Turd) Ferguson is honestly a descent number 2 or 3 receiver IF he can stay healthy.
So far, he's walking upright and will contribute just fine.
Sidney Rice should be adequate in his first season (barring MossMan it's rare for a receiver to be dominant, so we can't expect too much from the kid).

And this is coming from a Gloom and Doom type fan here.
I don't think we're headed for a glorious season, but our offense will be improved.
The right side of our line, we all know, needs work.
I think it would help a ton if we could obtain a REAL right tackle and allow Cook and Marcus Johnson to go back to their original guard positions.
They're both very powerful and instinctive players, but they both seem out of their element at tackle.
I'm not from the belief that you can just throw members on the O-line around as if they're universally compatible.
I think a genuine tackle to the right, and moving Cook and Johnson to compete for the right guard would do a world of good.

Plus, our special teams reek, and Ferraro should probably go.
Those are the Gloom and Doom things on our team right now.
I'm not seeing it from our pass game.
(We'd all like a Chad Johnson go-to type receiver - but we can do with what we have fine for now)