PDA

View Full Version : Sharper and winfield's last year in minnesota???



SharperImage
08-22-2007, 07:46 PM
I believe this will be the last year we see sharper an winfield. sharper an winfield are getting up in age. an if mccauley an blue live up to there hype that will be our starters next year. any thoughts?

VKG4LFE
08-22-2007, 07:47 PM
Winfield has another three years at least! He's not going anywhere! Those are my thoughts!

Marrdro
08-22-2007, 07:48 PM
Banish the thought my friend.

The way players take care of thier bodies these two have a few more hits left in them.
;D

vikeswin2005
08-22-2007, 07:51 PM
Watch your mouth !!!!

VKG4LFE
08-22-2007, 07:52 PM
LOL^^^^^^

marcosMN
08-22-2007, 07:55 PM
Neither of them are anywhere near ready to call it quits.

I think Sharper will end his career a Vike, and if 'Tione and Chili can get along ok, he could too.

This defense has the potential to be awesome for years. They don't want to leave a group like that.

VKG4LFE
08-22-2007, 07:56 PM
Yeah, this d should be pretty damn good for the next 3 or 4 years, barring injury. Reminds me kind of the 1990s early 2000s vikings o, that was so good for so long, the d could do the same thing.

SharperImage
08-22-2007, 07:58 PM
I understand what you mean but we cant waste Greg Blue an Marcus Mccauleys young years for some old guy. like for example look what the packers have done to that poor aaron rodgers.. he was going to be a first pick an now its been 3 years an he is still sittin behind some1 past his years/. an they wasted his talent..i dont want that to happen to McCauley an Blue

MaxVike
08-22-2007, 08:01 PM
They won't retire after this year IMO.
How long are they under contract?
Sharper wants to leave a legacy of INTs and publicly has stated that he doesn't feel like he is getting the respect he is due.
That said, NFL careers aren't too long, so, more money somewhere else, they could be gone.
Just don't know how long their contracts go.


Watching Vikings Weekly on FSN right now (TIVO'd on Monday).
One of the features is Winfield "mentoring" McCauley.

VKG4LFE
08-22-2007, 08:01 PM
Those guys both might play this year, sparingly, but they'll play. Winfield is no where near old enough to be done after this season. Sharper might have a couple years left in him too. You don't want to just toss those pro bowlers aside at the end of the year.

marcosMN
08-22-2007, 08:03 PM
"SharperImage" wrote:


I understand what you mean but we cant waste Greg Blue an Marcus Mccauleys young years for some old guy. like for example look what the packers have done to that poor aaron rodgers.. he was going to be a first pick an now its been 3 years an he is still sittin behind some1 past his years/. an they wasted his talent..i dont want that to happen to McCauley an Blue


Sharper returning INTs for touchdowns is WAAAAAYY different than Favre throwing dozens of INTs.

McCauley will get playing time at nickel, and Blue will fill in when needed. We have 4 potential starting safeties other than him tho, so yeah, we CAN waste his young years. Not on some old dude, either. Tank and Doss are fairly young guys.

SharperImage
08-22-2007, 08:08 PM
ok come on guys your not thinking like a real NFL team.. they see this talent. winfield an sharper are gettin old an are counting against the salary cap alot.. if i know i have to guys who are good enuff to start an is young an cheap. ill go with young an cheap an good. then old an pricy an good

carta4eva
08-22-2007, 08:10 PM
"SharperImage" wrote:


I believe this will be the last year we see sharper an winfield. sharper an winfield are getting up in age. an if mccauley an blue live up to there hype that will be our starters next year. any thoughts?


no way dude, winfield is too valuable and productive, the vikes are not going to let a player of his caliber walk away, sharper has done nothing but perform since we signed him, so why would we get rid of two pro bowl players? (I know winfield has not made a pro bowl, but it is one of the largest travesties of all-time that this man has not made a pro-bowl)

SharperImage
08-22-2007, 08:12 PM
"SharperImage" wrote:


ok come on guys your not thinking like a real NFL team.. they see this talent. winfield an sharper are gettin old an are counting against the salary cap alot.. if i know i have to guys who are good enuff to start an is young an cheap. ill go with young an cheap an good. then old an pricy an good


same thing applys to what u said carta ur not thinking likr a NFL GM

VKG4LFE
08-22-2007, 08:14 PM
"SharperImage" wrote:


ok come on guys your not thinking like a real NFL team.. they see this talent. winfield an sharper are gettin old an are counting against the salary cap alot.. if i know i have to guys who are good enuff to start an is young an cheap. ill go with young an cheap an good. then old an pricy an good



I see your point about this, but things like this come back to burn owners all the time. We know what Winfield is gonna give us on the field, the same with Sharper. The other guys we've seen play a couple seasons worth of exhibition games and fill in spots. Who knows what they would do in a full season, every play. I think we have to stick with the "old guys" who are still producing well.

Purple Floyd
08-22-2007, 08:17 PM
It's impossible to tell, everybody ages differently and everybody endures different injuries and stress on their bodies that eventually take their toll. Hopefully they will both finish their careers here, but it is a competitive business and if some young gun comes in and takes their spot, so be it.

Freya
08-22-2007, 08:45 PM
Yes. I do have thoughts.

Oh yeh, as for Winfield and Sharper......they stay, imo.

ultravikingfan
08-22-2007, 08:47 PM
"SharperImage" wrote:


I believe this will be the last year we see sharper an winfield. sharper an winfield are getting up in age. an if mccauley an blue live up to there hype that will be our starters next year. any thoughts?


Do you even know how old Winfield is or what?
Holy shit.
The guy turned 30 in June and is in his flippin' prime.

Sharper is going to be 32.

Do people just say shit without checking or what?

Winfield had his 3rd highest career total for solo tackles and tied his career high for INT's while playing all 16 games.
Yah...he sure is old now.

Who's next?
Adrian Peterson is getting too old too?
::)

VKG4LFE
08-22-2007, 08:53 PM
WHoa, that one struck a nerve with ultra! lol

carta4eva
08-22-2007, 08:55 PM
"SharperImage" wrote:


"SharperImage" wrote:


ok come on guys your not thinking like a real NFL team.. they see this talent. winfield an sharper are gettin old an are counting against the salary cap alot.. if i know i have to guys who are good enuff to start an is young an cheap. ill go with young an cheap an good. then old an pricy an good


same thing applys to what u said carta ur not thinking likr a NFL GM


I don't need to think like an NFL gm to know that getting rid of two pro-bowl type players, and the leaders of our secondary would be a terrible move...

I love the talent we have gotten in the past two drafts for the secondary... griffen, mccauly (sp) and blue, but are you telling me that our secondary would be solid next season with mccauly, blue, griffen, and smith as the starters?--> no way

REAL NFL GMs would be more inclined to cut pricey veterns once their play declines, and in both these players' cases that is not the case, so really how do you think you would do as a GM, cutting all the proven veterans in favor of young unproven players... ::)

singersp
08-22-2007, 09:04 PM
Sharper and winfield's last year in minnesota???

Sharper: No, no & no.

Winfield: No, no & no

I answered it six times (3 times each) because you had 3 question marks behind your question & asked about two players.

grpape
08-22-2007, 09:24 PM
You never know in this day and age. I don't think the team will let either of them walk before their time, but for the right price, any player can and would be traded. I can think of one team, at one point in time, that really wanted a running back..........the rest was history.

VKG4LFE
08-22-2007, 09:25 PM
What team really wanted a RB??
































Oh yeah, nevermind. :(

jargomcfargo
08-22-2007, 09:26 PM
"SharperImage" wrote:


I believe this will be the last year we see sharper an winfield. sharper an winfield are getting up in age. an if mccauley an blue live up to there hype that will be our starters next year. any thoughts?


What are you going to do when McCauley or Blue get injured?
It's fun to throw out an outrageous unfounded statement to start a thread.
Had you said something like, this is the last contract year for so and so; do you think they will remain Vikings? It would have a basis in fact that might make it worth debating.
Who's getting up in age?
:)

MaxVike
08-22-2007, 09:56 PM
"jargomcfargo" wrote:


"SharperImage" wrote:


I believe this will be the last year we see sharper an winfield. sharper an winfield are getting up in age. an if mccauley an blue live up to there hype that will be our starters next year. any thoughts?


What are you going to do when McCauley or Blue get injured?
It's fun to throw out an outrageous unfounded statement to start a thread.
Had you said something like, this is the last contract year for so and so; do you think they will remain Vikings? It would have a basis in fact that might make it worth debating.
Who's getting up in age?
:)


yeah, that's what I asked many posts ago.
Neither one of these guys will walk away from a contract...otherwise, if their contracts both end after this year, the front office will need to make a decision.
The question about whether or not they can still play is absurd...of course they can.
How old is Rodney Harrison?
John Lynch?
Brian Dawkins?
Ronde Barber?
blah?
blah?
blah?

MetalMike-LoudVike
08-22-2007, 10:00 PM
AWWWW NOOOO sorry to be loud bout this topic.
For once I gotta live up to the name. Besides these guys don't show me any real big signs of slowing down. yeah they may be getting older but experience helps in any sport or job or anything that involves working with other individuals.

jargomcfargo
08-22-2007, 10:06 PM
"MaxVike" wrote:


"jargomcfargo" wrote:


"SharperImage" wrote:


I believe this will be the last year we see sharper an winfield. sharper an winfield are getting up in age. an if mccauley an blue live up to there hype that will be our starters next year. any thoughts?


What are you going to do when McCauley or Blue get injured?
It's fun to throw out an outrageous unfounded statement to start a thread.
Had you said something like, this is the last contract year for so and so; do you think they will remain Vikings? It would have a basis in fact that might make it worth debating.
Who's getting up in age?
:)


yeah, that's what I asked many posts ago.
Neither one of these guys will walk away from a contract...otherwise, if their contracts both end after this year, the front office will need to make a decision.
The question about whether or not they can still play is absurd...of course they can.
How old is Rodney Harrison?
John Lynch?
Brian Dawkins?
Ronde Barber?
blah?
blah?
blah?


Well here you go. Here's your post.

They won't retire after this year IMO.
How long are they under contract?
Sharper wants to leave a legacy of INTs and publicly has stated that he doesn't feel like he is getting the respect he is due.
That said, NFL careers aren't too long, so, more money somewhere else, they could be gone.
Just don't know how long their contracts go.


Watching Vikings Weekly on FSN right now (TIVO'd on Monday).
One of the features is Winfield "mentoring" McCauley.

MaxVike
08-22-2007, 10:09 PM
Just checked:
Hopefully the info I found is correct (ESPN archives).
Winfield is in year 4 of a 6-year deal.
Sharper is in year 3 of a 4-year deal.
They will both be here next year IMHO.

so-cal vike
08-22-2007, 10:10 PM
Sharper isn't going anywhere.
He has far too much gas left in the tank to retire and he's a great fit in Minny.
As for Winfield, the only way he'll leave is if he doesn't like what he sees this season and demands a trade.
I don't think that will be a problem though.

I guess the youngsters will just have to wait.

jargomcfargo
08-22-2007, 10:22 PM
"MaxVike" wrote:


Just checked:
Hopefully the info I found is correct (ESPN archives).
Winfield is in year 4 of a 6-year deal.
Sharper is in year 3 of a 4-year deal.
They will both be here next year IMHO.


Solid post as usual. The original premise was flawed. This proves it.
:)

patistheman
08-22-2007, 10:23 PM
I think the way McCauley is playing he could take the other starting spot over Griffin.
I would much rather have Winfield and McCauley starting than McCauley and Griffin.
As for Greg Blue he really hasn't shown all that much so far, I'd like to seem him returning INTs for TDs against 3rd string offenses before we promote him to starter over #42.

Zeus
08-22-2007, 10:27 PM
"SharperImage" wrote:


I believe this will be the last year we see sharper an winfield. sharper an winfield are getting up in age. an if mccauley an blue live up to there hype that will be our starters next year. any thoughts?


Antoine Winfield is only 30.
That's not "getting up in age", even in NFL terms.

=Z=

so-cal vike
08-22-2007, 10:32 PM
"Zeus" wrote:



Antoine Winfield is only 30.
That's not "getting up in age", even in NFL terms.

=Z=


It is well past your prime if your a woman though.
;)

Zeus
08-22-2007, 10:42 PM
"so-cal" wrote:


"Zeus" wrote:



Antoine Winfield is only 30.
That's not "getting up in age", even in NFL terms.


It is well past your prime if your a woman though.

;)


Say what?
With age comes experience and a certain willingness.
That's why they call 'em "Cougars"!

=Z=

Purple Floyd
08-22-2007, 10:45 PM
"so-cal" wrote:


"Zeus" wrote:



Antoine Winfield is only 30.
That's not "getting up in age", even in NFL terms.

=Z=


It is well past your prime if your a woman though.
;)


I disagree, 30 is when they start getting better.

so-cal vike
08-22-2007, 10:46 PM
"Zeus" wrote:


"so-cal" wrote:


"Zeus" wrote:



Antoine Winfield is only 30.
That's not "getting up in age", even in NFL terms.


It is well past your prime if your a woman though.

;)


Say what?
With age comes experience and a certain willingness. That's why they call 'em "Cougars"!

=Z=


That should read "a certain droopiness."
;D

so-cal vike
08-22-2007, 10:47 PM
"UffDaVikes" wrote:


"so-cal" wrote:


"Zeus" wrote:



Antoine Winfield is only 30.
That's not "getting up in age", even in NFL terms.

=Z=


It is well past your prime if your a woman though.

;)


I disagree, 30 is when they start getting better.


Suck up.
:D

jargomcfargo
08-22-2007, 10:50 PM
"so-cal" wrote:


"Zeus" wrote:



Antoine Winfield is only 30.
That's not "getting up in age", even in NFL terms.

=Z=


It is well past your prime if your a woman though.

;)


Zeus, God of thunder, was bethrothed to his sister Hara. He's like, thousands of years old. I doubt Hara is a prize anymore. And thirty years isn't even a blip to this guy.
He has partially gummed , petrified prunes in his beard.

But if you mess with Winfield, lightning and thunder will reign down on you and your childrens children.

Purple Floyd
08-22-2007, 10:53 PM
"MaxVike" wrote:


Just checked:
Hopefully the info I found is correct (ESPN archives).
Winfield is in year 4 of a 6-year deal.
Sharper is in year 3 of a 4-year deal.
They will both be here next year IMHO.




It's not unusual for a player to start asking for a contract extension going into the final year of their contract, and since he is 32, Sharper may be looking for a deal during the offseason so even though I don't see him leaving, it certainly isn't out of
the question.

Zeus
08-22-2007, 10:54 PM
"jargomcfargo" wrote:


"so-cal" wrote:


"Zeus" wrote:



Antoine Winfield is only 30.
That's not "getting up in age", even in NFL terms.


It is well past your prime if your a woman though.

;)


Zeus, God of thunder, was bethrothed to his sister Hara. He's like, thousands of years old. I doubt Hara is a prize anymore. And thirty years isn't even a blip to this guy.
He has partially gummed , petrified prunes in his beard.

But if you mess with Winfield, lightning and thunder will reign down on you and your childrens children.


Antoine Winfield is the best football player on the Vikings roster.

=Z=

jargomcfargo
08-22-2007, 10:57 PM
"Zeus" wrote:


"jargomcfargo" wrote:


"so-cal" wrote:


"Zeus" wrote:



Antoine Winfield is only 30.
That's not "getting up in age", even in NFL terms.


It is well past your prime if your a woman though.

;)


Zeus, God of thunder, was bethrothed to his sister Hara. He's like, thousands of years old. I doubt Hara is a prize anymore. And thirty years isn't even a blip to this guy.
He has partially gummed , petrified prunes in his beard.

But if you mess with Winfield, lightning and thunder will reign down on you and your childrens children.


Antoine Winfield is the best football player on the Vikings roster.

=Z=


I guess we agree on something. I pray he can get more than a sniff at a SB before he is done. He deserves it.

Freya
08-22-2007, 11:14 PM
"Zeus" wrote:


"so-cal" wrote:


"Zeus" wrote:



Antoine Winfield is only 30.
That's not "getting up in age", even in NFL terms.


It is well past your prime if your a woman though.

;)


Say what?
With age comes experience and a certain willingness.
That's why they call 'em "Cougars"!

=Z=


Amazingly well said, Zeus!
Said the Cougar.

Zeus
08-22-2007, 11:23 PM
"Freya" wrote:


"Zeus" wrote:


"so-cal" wrote:


"Zeus" wrote:



Antoine Winfield is only 30.
That's not "getting up in age", even in NFL terms.


It is well past your prime if your a woman though.

;)


Say what?
With age comes experience and a certain willingness.
That's why they call 'em "Cougars"!


Amazingly well said, Zeus!
Said the Cougar.


And a saucy red-haired one at that!

=Z=

NDVikingFan66
08-22-2007, 11:38 PM
I think they both like it here, and would like to stick around and end their careers here.
If they see improvement in the offense, they are sticking around, and may even take pay cuts to do so.

Our defense is scary good right now, and if our offense can click, look out

ItalianStallion
08-23-2007, 12:46 AM
They're both under contract for next season so I don't see why this one would be their last...

NDVikingFan66
08-23-2007, 01:04 AM
"ItalianStallion" wrote:


They're both under contract for next season so I don't see why this one would be their last...


They could be cut for salary cap reasons, or just to make room for younger guys.
Under contract does not mean employed

Caine
08-23-2007, 04:57 AM
"NDVikingFan66" wrote:


"ItalianStallion" wrote:


They're both under contract for next season so I don't see why this one would be their last...


They could be cut for salary cap reasons, or just to make room for younger guys.
Under contract does not mean employed


Once their skills start to fade, or someone is on the roster who blows them off the field, I wouldn't speculate on either of them leaving.
Since both are still considered in the top group at their respective positions, I'd say there's a bit more time until this question can be taken seriously.

Caine

digital420
08-23-2007, 05:39 AM
"Caine" wrote:


"NDVikingFan66" wrote:


"ItalianStallion" wrote:


They're both under contract for next season so I don't see why this one would be their last...


They could be cut for salary cap reasons, or just to make room for younger guys.
Under contract does not mean employed


Once their skills start to fade, or someone is on the roster who blows them off the field, I wouldn't speculate on either of them leaving.
Since both are still considered in the top group at their respective positions, I'd say there's a bit more time until this question can be taken seriously.

Caine


I have to back Caine on this one.
I really don't see them leaving a budding D that has high upside, and focus's on their strengths and experience. Both AW and Sharper have years left in them, and I would believe they are competitive enouf to want to play more. I would have argued for AW, but it seems that his talks with BChill have ironed out any real issues he had with the organization, and keeps him in purple for a while longer.
Especially since neither has seemed to have lost a step this year.. Sharper did mention that he might not high step like he used to, but he is still high stepping..

as for the salery cap.. we have one of the best cap managers in the league.. i don't see that being a big issue..

DiGiTaL

Marrdro
08-23-2007, 07:21 AM
"SharperImage" wrote:


I understand what you mean but we cant waste Greg Blue an Marcus Mccauleys young years for some old guy. like for example look what the packers have done to that poor aaron rodgers.. he was going to be a first pick an now its been 3 years an he is still sittin behind some1 past his years/. an they wasted his talent..i dont want that to happen to McCauley an Blue

Its all about rotation my friend.
Our young guys will get action if they are good enough.
Until then lets not put these two in the grave yet.
;D

SharperImage
08-23-2007, 04:11 PM
Wow you guys are blind!!! you dont think in the real world!!! GOOD PLAYERS GET RELEASED EVERY YEAR!!! look at simoen Rice. he got released for Gaines Adams. Why? you say, because they want to give him the starting role they no rice has no more than 2 years left. so theyd rather take those two years an give it to Adams to develop.so that way 2 years from
now instead of him just starting out he is already experienced an ready.


thats what i think we should do with winfield an sharper. look at Jerimah Trotter he got released for the young gun. they new trotter had like 3years left in him. but theyd rather use thoe 3 years to develop the starter so after those 3 years he is just as good with more years left in the tank...

winfield an sharper have 2-3 years left MAX!!! so why not give there 3 years to mccauley an blue so after those 3 years there redy an have like 8-10 years left instead of waiting for them to run out of gas then start the developing process which takes 2-3 years. its all about tim age an years..

Billy Boy
08-23-2007, 04:31 PM
Simmer.
Magazineboy, your not thinking in the real world.


Both Rice and Trotter have had injury problems and weren't playing up to the level of their expensive contracts.

Neither of those players played up to the caliber of Winfield and Sharper last year.
Your analysis is flawed on so many levels.

The passing of the torch will happen when it is time.
Both McCauley and Blue will get there feet wet this year, no need to rush things.

Talking about GMs, do you think that you can speak for the perspective better then Rob Brz.?
Or anybody in Winter park for that matter.

Prophet
08-23-2007, 04:32 PM
"Billy" wrote:


Simmer.

Magazineboy, your not thinking in the real world...

lmao, magazineboy?

Billy Boy
08-23-2007, 04:46 PM
"Prophet" wrote:


"Billy" wrote:


Simmer.

Magazineboy, your not thinking in the real world...

lmao, magazineboy?


Hmm, I suppose its more of a catalog then a magazine.

Sharper Image (http://www.zenion.com/images/Zenion_SI_cover.jpg)

ItalianStallion
08-23-2007, 06:21 PM
"NDVikingFan66" wrote:


"ItalianStallion" wrote:


They're both under contract for next season so I don't see why this one would be their last...


They could be cut for salary cap reasons, or just to make room for younger guys.
Under contract does not mean employed


They're not even being paid that much, comparatively.
And seeing as how well they've been playing and the condition our salary cap is in, that would not happen.

ItalianStallion
08-23-2007, 06:27 PM
"SharperImage" wrote:


Wow you guys are blind!!! you dont think in the real world!!! GOOD PLAYERS GET RELEASED EVERY YEAR!!! look at simoen Rice. he got released for Gaines Adams. Why? you say, because they want to give him the starting role they no rice has no more than 2 years left. so theyd rather take those two years an give it to Adams to develop.so that way 2 years from
now instead of him just starting out he is already experienced an ready.


Simeon Rice was released because he hasn't been the same player the past couple years, he's expensive and he only had 2 sacks last year (and that is his specialty).


thats what i think we should do with winfield an sharper. look at Jerimah Trotter he got released for the young gun. they new trotter had like 3years left in him. but theyd rather use thoe 3 years to develop the starter so after those 3 years he is just as good with more years left in the tank...


And it remains to be seen how that little experiement will work out



winfield an sharper have 2-3 years left MAX!!! so why not give there 3 years to mccauley an blue so after those 3 years there redy an have like 8-10 years left instead of waiting for them to run out of gas then start the developing process which takes 2-3 years. its all about tim age an years..


Sharper maybe, Winfield propbably more.
Sharper and Winfield aren't starting simply because their older than the other 2, but rather because they're better.
The are developing, even if they're not starting.
This isn't madden where their player rating won't increase without playing time.
Why would you want anything other than the best players we have starting?

huxx
08-23-2007, 06:59 PM
"Billy" wrote:


Simmer.

Magazineboy, your not thinking in the real world.


Both Rice and Trotter have had injury problems and weren't playing up to the level of their expensive contracts.

Neither of those players played up to the caliber of Winfield and Sharper last year.

Your analysis is flawed on so many levels.

The passing of the torch will happen when it is time.
Both McCauley and Blue will get there feet wet this year, no need to rush things.

Talking about GMs, do you think that you can speak for the perspective better then Rob Brz.?
Or anybody in Winter park for that matter.



Well said man.
Without Winfield and Sharper, our secondary would be more worn out than last year.

SharperImage
08-23-2007, 07:27 PM
You Guys talk like Winfield an Sharper had a good year last season.. Winfield was getting burned up an down the field.an sharper wasnt in his usual INT form an his coverage was horrible. crap Joey harrington tore him an AW apart in the miami game. he looked like peyton manning. an lets not even mention what tom brady MATT Leinart the rookie!! with 400 yards passing!! Rex Grossman...an brett favre an etc.. did to them. if it wasnt for phat pat an Kwill we woulda been 2-14. picking calvin johnson

'''' to add on speed is a BIG factor in the NFL. AW an Dsharp are slowing up. Greg Blue has nice speed with strength to hit people like Sean Taylor. remeber the bills hit?? then McCauley just flies up an down the field with his 4-39 speed. he has nice hands.. AW an Dsharp are gettin slower. sharper isnt has fast as he was from that 9int year when he took to the house vs the giants. an all the picks AW had when he took it to the house was no more than 5-10 yards al a bears game

marstc09
08-23-2007, 07:33 PM
I hope they both stay

nephilimstorm
08-23-2007, 07:42 PM
Why the ---- would the Vikes even think about letting them two go. What youwant a secondary of young and inexpierenced. I,myself hope they stay...they where great pickups and I hope they stay til the end of thier careers

Zeus
08-23-2007, 07:42 PM
"SharperImage" wrote:


You Guys talk like Winfield an Sharper had a good year last season.. Winfield was getting burned up an down the field.

Are you high?

=Z=

snowinapril
08-23-2007, 07:59 PM
"SharperImage" wrote:


You Guys talk like Winfield an Sharper had a good year last season.. Winfield was getting burned up an down the field.an sharper wasnt in his usual INT form an his coverage was horrible. crap Joey harrington tore him an AW apart in the miami game. he looked like peyton manning. an lets not even mention what tom brady MATT Leinart the rookie!! with 400 yards passing!! Rex Grossman...an brett favre an etc.. did to them. if it wasnt for phat pat an Kwill we woulda been 2-14. picking calvin johnson

'''' to add on speed is a BIG factor in the NFL. AW an Dsharp are slowing up. Greg Blue has nice speed with strength to hit people like Sean Taylor. remeber the bills hit?? then McCauley just flies up an down the field with his 4-39 speed. he has nice hands.. AW an Dsharp are gettin slower. sharper isnt has fast as he was from that 9int year when he took to the house vs the giants. an all the picks AW had when he took it to the house was no more than 5-10 yards al a bears game


I was mia for the MIA game, didn't get to see it.
But I remember the highlights, we lost that game on a turn over that MIA ran back.
Am I right.
It isn't like they scored a lot on us with their O, they had 2 D TDs.
In the quotes below, they mention some games where we really got passed on.
I remember Brady killing us.

Sharper and AW might not be here next year, but they will play somewhere in the NFL.
They are not done.
Sharper might retire for a job in Television??
I think he is being courted by NFLN.
They always kiss Sharpers butt.

MN vs Mia stats:
http://www.nfl.com/gamecenter?game_id=29011&displayPage=tab_gamecenter&season=2006&week=REG11

http://www.purplepride.org/forums/index.php?topic=37006.0

http://www.realfootball365.com/nfl/articles/2007/08/vikings-sharper-comments230807.html

These are comments from the realfootball link.


The pass defense stats that Sharper mentions only look good because of how many bad offensive teams they played last year. The patriots and Rams took their pass defense apart. And they didn't look great against the Jets or the Cardinals. The flaw in the defense last year was a complete lack of any credible pass rush. The stats to watch this season are the sacks and how long opposing QBs get to throw. Before anyone starts talking about the Vikings going anywhere, they are going to have to show that they can beat playoff quality teams. Otherwise all thats going to happen is a 9-7 season with a quick exit from the playoffs.
Posted by: Bill West | August 23, 2007 02:38 AM


Bill West - I agree. Good passing teams picked the Vikes apart. Tom Brady looked like he was playing against a D-III college defense against us. Heck, JP Losman and Alex Smith beat our defense!! Who cares what the "average yards per pass attempt" was. If you don't stop them from throwing the ball all over the place, average doesn't matter. What I care about is how many TD passes did the D give up, and what was THAT avergae yardage. You could get outgained in passing 400 yards to 200, but did you stop them from scoring? Nobody wins games on yards per pass, or average per pass play. Did you prevent them from scoring or not, THATS how you judge.
Posted by: Minnesota Mike in NY | August 23, 2007 09:13 AM


Minnesota Mike nailed it. Vikes were near the top in fewest passing TDs allowed. That is how the defense should be measured, and take aways.
Posted by: BrownerTark | August 23, 2007 10:18 AM

SharperImage
08-23-2007, 08:00 PM
"Zeus" wrote:


"SharperImage" wrote:


You Guys talk like Winfield an Sharper had a good year last season.. Winfield was getting burned up an down the field.

Are you high?

=Z=


No Are you? did u watch any games last year?? he was gettin tore up for a so called shutdown corner. dont get me wrong i like AW an Dsharp an i hope they play forever. im just honest to myself. an dsharp only had 1 big hit that was against washington an 4ints. an winfield had like 1-2- or 3?? Winfield got demolish an burned by all the fast starting WR's so they started putting smoot an Griffen on the fast starting corner backs hoping they will keep up with them.. why u think Griffin was checking Larenious Coles against the Jets.??? because Winfield would of gotten burned down the field. poor griffin was soo tired keeping up with coles

NodakPaul
08-23-2007, 08:03 PM
"SharperImage" wrote:


You Guys talk like Winfield an Sharper had a good year last season.. Winfield was getting burned up an down the field.an sharper wasnt in his usual INT form an his coverage was horrible. crap Joey harrington tore him an AW apart in the miami game. he looked like peyton manning. an lets not even mention what tom brady MATT Leinart the rookie!! with 400 yards passing!! Rex Grossman...an brett favre an etc.. did to them. if it wasnt for phat pat an Kwill we woulda been 2-14. picking calvin johnson

'''' to add on speed is a BIG factor in the NFL. AW an Dsharp are slowing up. Greg Blue has nice speed with strength to hit people like Sean Taylor. remeber the bills hit?? then McCauley just flies up an down the field with his 4-39 speed. he has nice hands.. AW an Dsharp are gettin slower. sharper isnt has fast as he was from that 9int year when he took to the house vs the giants. an all the picks AW had when he took it to the house was no more than 5-10 yards al a bears game


I want some of what you're smoking.

Harrington tore Sharper and Winfield apart?
Joey Harrington? In the Miami game?
You must be talking about another Harrington, because Joey only put up 250 yards against us, despite the fact that they passed on nearly every single down.
I mentioned this in another post, but Miami only had 7 net yards rushing against us...

As far as Gross-man and Fav-re, you may want to take a look at those games again.
In the first Chicago game, Rex went 23 of41 for 278 yards with 1 TD and 2 INTs (one of which Winfield returned for a TD). In the second Chicago game, Rexy boy went 6/19 for 34 yards, 0 TDs, and 3 INTs (Again, another one by Winfield).
Let me say that again... 6/19 for 34 yards, 0 TDs, and 3 INTs.

Fav-re's game in Green Bay?
How does 26/50 for 285 yards, 0 TDs and 2 INTs sound.
Oh yeah, and Sharper got one of those INTs.
Fav-re did play a very good game against us in the dome though.
He went 24/42 for 347 and 2 TDs.
One game out of four does not mean we were owned by anybody.

To be honest, if you want to analyze the games, look at where the passes were going in the majority of the games after the NE game.
Short passes to the flats and just over the middle of our Cover 2.
Sorry, but that has little to do with the corners and safeties, and a lot more to to with the LBs and pass rush.

I like McCauley and Blue a lot.
And I think they will be AW and Sharper's eventual replacements.
But they have to win that spot in training camp.
Right now AW and Sharper are simply out playing them.
And BTW< your comment about Sharper slowing up is a load of crap.
Iwould like to see an example of that.

snowinapril
08-23-2007, 08:08 PM
"SharperImage" wrote:


You Guys talk like Winfield an Sharper had a good year last season.. Winfield was getting burned up an down the field.an sharper wasnt in his usual INT form an his coverage was horrible. crap Joey harrington tore him an AW apart in the miami game. he looked like peyton manning. an lets not even mention what tom brady MATT Leinart the rookie!! with 400 yards passing!! Rex Grossman...an brett favre an etc.. did to them. if it wasnt for phat pat an Kwill we woulda been 2-14. picking calvin johnson

'''' to add on speed is a BIG factor in the NFL. AW an Dsharp are slowing up. Greg Blue has nice speed with strength to hit people like Sean Taylor. remeber the bills hit?? then McCauley just flies up an down the field with his 4-39 speed. he has nice hands.. AW an Dsharp are gettin slower. sharper isnt has fast as he was from that 9int year when he took to the house vs the giants. an all the picks AW had when he took it to the house was no more than 5-10 yards al a bears game


Why wouldn't the coaches put the best guys on the field?
Why do AW and Sharper have to leave MN?

It is probably easier to just state why you like Blue and McCauley and leave it at that
than it is to convince us that AW and DS are not the best guys to play their positions on this team.

SharperImage
08-23-2007, 08:12 PM
"NodakPaul" wrote:


"SharperImage" wrote:


You Guys talk like Winfield an Sharper had a good year last season.. Winfield was getting burned up an down the field.an sharper wasnt in his usual INT form an his coverage was horrible. crap Joey harrington tore him an AW apart in the miami game. he looked like peyton manning. an lets not even mention what tom brady MATT Leinart the rookie!! with 400 yards passing!! Rex Grossman...an brett favre an etc.. did to them. if it wasnt for phat pat an Kwill we woulda been 2-14. picking calvin johnson

'''' to add on speed is a BIG factor in the NFL. AW an Dsharp are slowing up. Greg Blue has nice speed with strength to hit people like Sean Taylor. remeber the bills hit?? then McCauley just flies up an down the field with his 4-39 speed. he has nice hands.. AW an Dsharp are gettin slower. sharper isnt has fast as he was from that 9int year when he took to the house vs the giants. an all the picks AW had when he took it to the house was no more than 5-10 yards al a bears game


I want some of what you're smoking.

Harrington tore Sharper and Winfield apart?
Joey Harrington? In the Miami game?
You must be talking about another Harrington, because Joey only put up 250 yards against us, despite the fact that they passed on nearly every single down.
I mentioned this in another post, but Miami only had 7 net yards rushing against us...

As far as Gross-man and Fav-re, you may want to take a look at those games again.
In the first Chicago game, Rex went
23 of41 for 278 yards with 1 TD and 2 INTs (one of which Winfield returned for a TD). In the second Chicago game, Rexy boy went 6/19 for 34 yards, 0 TDs, and 3 INTs (Again, another one by Winfield).
Let me say that again...6/19 for 34 yards, 0 TDs, and 3 INTs[/b].

Fav-re's game in Green Bay?

How does 26/50 for 285 yards, 0 TDs and 2 INTs sound.
Oh yeah, and Sharper got one of those INTs.
Fav-re did play a very good game against us in the dome though.
He went 24/42 for 347 and 2 TDs.
One game out of four does not mean we were owned by anybody.

To be honest, if you want to analyze the games, look at where the passes were going in the majority of the games after the NE game.
Short passes to the flats and just over the middle of our Cover 2.
Sorry, but that has little to do with the corners and safeties, and a lot more to to with the LBs and pass rush.

I like McCauley and Blue a lot.
And I think they will be AW and Sharper's eventual replacements.
But they have to win that spot in training camp.
Right now AW and Sharper are simply out playing them.
And BTW< your comment about Sharper slowing up is a load of crap.
Iwould like to see an example of that.


read what i typed above.. an u call 250+ ok?? thats not ok in my book. u must have low standards

Garland Greene
08-23-2007, 08:21 PM
"ultravikingfan" wrote:


"SharperImage" wrote:


I believe this will be the last year we see sharper an winfield. sharper an winfield are getting up in age. an if mccauley an blue live up to there hype that will be our starters next year. any thoughts?


Do you even know how old Winfield is or what?
Holy shit.
The guy turned 30 in June and is in his flippin' prime.

Sharper is going to be 32.

Do people just say shit without checking or what?

Winfield had his 3rd highest career total for solo tackles and tied his career high for INT's while playing all 16 games.
Yah...he sure is old now.

Who's next?
Adrian Peterson is getting too old too?

::)


Exactly/ If this argument was Pat Williams, Tony Richrdson you may have a argument.
Unless one of theh suffers a major injury I don't see age being a factor for either guy.

NodakPaul
08-23-2007, 08:22 PM
"SharperImage" wrote:


"NodakPaul" wrote:


"SharperImage" wrote:


You Guys talk like Winfield an Sharper had a good year last season.. Winfield was getting burned up an down the field.an sharper wasnt in his usual INT form an his coverage was horrible. crap Joey harrington tore him an AW apart in the miami game. he looked like peyton manning. an lets not even mention what tom brady MATT Leinart the rookie!! with 400 yards passing!! Rex Grossman...an brett favre an etc.. did to them. if it wasnt for phat pat an Kwill we woulda been 2-14. picking calvin johnson

'''' to add on speed is a BIG factor in the NFL. AW an Dsharp are slowing up. Greg Blue has nice speed with strength to hit people like Sean Taylor. remeber the bills hit?? then McCauley just flies up an down the field with his 4-39 speed. he has nice hands.. AW an Dsharp are gettin slower. sharper isnt has fast as he was from that 9int year when he took to the house vs the giants. an all the picks AW had when he took it to the house was no more than 5-10 yards al a bears game


I want some of what you're smoking.

Harrington tore Sharper and Winfield apart?
Joey Harrington? In the Miami game?
You must be talking about another Harrington, because Joey only put up 250 yards against us, despite the fact that they passed on nearly every single down.
I mentioned this in another post, but Miami only had 7 net yards rushing against us...

As far as Gross-man and Fav-re, you may want to take a look at those games again.
In the first Chicago game, Rex went
23 of41 for 278 yards with 1 TD and 2 INTs (one of which Winfield returned for a TD). In the second Chicago game, Rexy boy went 6/19 for 34 yards, 0 TDs, and 3 INTs (Again, another one by Winfield).
Let me say that again...6/19 for 34 yards, 0 TDs, and 3 INTs[/b].

Fav-re's game in Green Bay?
How does 26/50 for 285 yards, 0 TDs and 2 INTs sound.
Oh yeah, and Sharper got one of those INTs.
Fav-re did play a very good game against us in the dome though.
He went 24/42 for 347 and 2 TDs.
One game out of four does not mean we were owned by anybody.

To be honest, if you want to analyze the games, look at where the passes were going in the majority of the games after the NE game.
Short passes to the flats and just over the middle of our Cover 2.
Sorry, but that has little to do with the corners and safeties, and a lot more to to with the LBs and pass rush.

I like McCauley and Blue a lot.
And I think they will be AW and Sharper's eventual replacements.
But they have to win that spot in training camp.
Right now AW and Sharper are simply out playing them.
And BTW< your comment about Sharper slowing up is a load of crap.
Iwould like to see an example of that.


read what i typed above.. an u call 250+ ok?? thats not ok in my book. u must have low standards


No, but when you throw the ball 40 - 50 time and only get 250, that is not exactly a stellar performance.
In the Miami game, Brad Johnson threw for 262 yards that game.
Do you think he had a good game too, just because he got over 250 yards?
Pooh.

ultravikingfan
08-23-2007, 08:26 PM
This is so ridiculous.

Do you even watch the games?
You probably stare at who has the ball the whole game the look at the end result and box score.
Sure, AW's strength is not his cover ability.
But you make it seem like he is roasted every other play.

Click here is you are struggling with understanding football (http://www.worldalmanacforkids.com/WAKI-ViewArticle.aspx?pin=x-fo055610a&article_id=606&chapter_id=13&chapter_title=Sports&article_title=Football_Basics/)

carta4eva
08-23-2007, 08:29 PM
"Billy" wrote:


Simmer.

Magazineboy, your not thinking in the real world.


Both Rice and Trotter have had injury problems and weren't playing up to the level of their expensive contracts.

Neither of those players played up to the caliber of Winfield and Sharper last year.

Your analysis is flawed on so many levels.

The passing of the torch will happen when it is time.
Both McCauley and Blue will get there feet wet this year, no need to rush things.

Talking about GMs, do you think that you can speak for the perspective better then Rob Brz.?
Or anybody in Winter park for that matter.



I know right comparing sharper and winfield to someone like Rice is very puzzling... these two veterans have performed at a pro bowl level the last two years whereas rice has been unproductive and hurt for the better part of two seasons... one things for sure THANK GOD ROB, SPEILMEN, AND CHILDRESS don't think like Sharperimage!

Garland Greene
08-23-2007, 08:33 PM
"ultravikingfan" wrote:


This is so ridiculous.

Do you even watch the games?
You probably stare at who has the ball the whole game the look at the end result and box score.
Sure, AW's strength is not his cover ability.
But you make it seem like he is roasted every other play.

Click here is you are struggling with understanding football (http://www.worldalmanacforkids.com/WAKI-ViewArticle.aspx?pin=x-fo055610a&article_id=606&chapter_id=13&chapter_title=Sports&article_title=Football_Basics/)



I think you will have better luck with talking to a

http://www.ics.uci.edu/~eppstein/pix/bar/mj/Wall-m.jpg

SharperImage
08-23-2007, 08:35 PM
"carta4eva" wrote:


"Billy" wrote:


Simmer.

Magazineboy, your not thinking in the real world.


Both Rice and Trotter have had injury problems and weren't playing up to the level of their expensive contracts.

Neither of those players played up to the caliber of Winfield and Sharper last year.

Your analysis is flawed on so many levels.

The passing of the torch will happen when it is time.
Both McCauley and Blue will get there feet wet this year, no need to rush things.

Talking about GMs, do you think that you can speak for the perspective better then Rob Brz.?
Or anybody in Winter park for that matter.



I know right comparing sharper and winfield to someone like Rice is very puzzling... these two veterans have performed at a pro bowl level the last two years whereas rice has been unproductive and hurt for the better part of two seasons... one things for sure THANK GOD ROB, SPEILMEN, AND CHILDRESS don't think like Sharperimage!


if they did this team would be soo much better. an i reserve my right to my opinon u cant get on my balls because of the way i think

carta4eva
08-23-2007, 08:45 PM
"SharperImage" wrote:


"carta4eva" wrote:


"Billy" wrote:


Simmer.

Magazineboy, your not thinking in the real world.


Both Rice and Trotter have had injury problems and weren't playing up to the level of their expensive contracts.

Neither of those players played up to the caliber of Winfield and Sharper last year.

Your analysis is flawed on so many levels.

The passing of the torch will happen when it is time.
Both McCauley and Blue will get there feet wet this year, no need to rush things.

Talking about GMs, do you think that you can speak for the perspective better then Rob Brz.?
Or anybody in Winter park for that matter.



I know right comparing sharper and winfield to someone like Rice is very puzzling... these two veterans have performed at a pro bowl level the last two years whereas rice has been unproductive and hurt for the better part of two seasons... one things for sure THANK GOD ROB, SPEILMEN, AND CHILDRESS don't think like Sharperimage!


if they did this team would be soo much better. an i reserve my right to my opinon u cant get on my balls because of the way i think


I am not the douchebag claiming to be brighter than our GM and on top of that suggesting that we get rid of two of our best players ? ::)

Garland Greene
08-23-2007, 08:46 PM
Not unless like this poin that is where your point comes from. everyone has a right to their own opinion, that is not the issue, but when a pint is so ridudculous, it needs to and deserves to be ripped.

Prophet
08-24-2007, 05:58 AM
"NodakPaul" wrote:


"SharperImage" wrote:


You Guys talk like Winfield an Sharper had a good year last season.. Winfield was getting burned up an down the field.an sharper wasnt in his usual INT form an his coverage was horrible. crap Joey harrington tore him an AW apart in the miami game. he looked like peyton manning. an lets not even mention what tom brady MATT Leinart the rookie!! with 400 yards passing!! Rex Grossman...an brett favre an etc.. did to them. if it wasnt for phat pat an Kwill we woulda been 2-14. picking calvin johnson

'''' to add on speed is a BIG factor in the NFL. AW an Dsharp are slowing up. Greg Blue has nice speed with strength to hit people like Sean Taylor. remeber the bills hit?? then McCauley just flies up an down the field with his 4-39 speed. he has nice hands.. AW an Dsharp are gettin slower. sharper isnt has fast as he was from that 9int year when he took to the house vs the giants. an all the picks AW had when he took it to the house was no more than 5-10 yards al a bears game


I want some of what you're smoking.

Harrington tore Sharper and Winfield apart?
Joey Harrington? In the Miami game?
You must be talking about another Harrington, because Joey only put up 250 yards against us, despite the fact that they passed on nearly every single down.
I mentioned this in another post, but Miami only had 7 net yards rushing against us...

As far as Gross-man and Fav-re, you may want to take a look at those games again.
In the first Chicago game, Rex went 23 of41 for 278 yards with 1 TD and 2 INTs (one of which Winfield returned for a TD). In the second Chicago game, Rexy boy went 6/19 for 34 yards, 0 TDs, and 3 INTs (Again, another one by Winfield).
Let me say that again... 6/19 for 34 yards, 0 TDs, and 3 INTs.

Fav-re's game in Green Bay?
How does 26/50 for 285 yards, 0 TDs and 2 INTs sound.
Oh yeah, and Sharper got one of those INTs.
Fav-re did play a very good game against us in the dome though.
He went 24/42 for 347 and 2 TDs.
One game out of four does not mean we were owned by anybody.

To be honest, if you want to analyze the games, look at where the passes were going in the majority of the games after the NE game.
Short passes to the flats and just over the middle of our Cover 2.
Sorry, but that has little to do with the corners and safeties, and a lot more to to with the LBs and pass rush.

I like McCauley and Blue a lot.
And I think they will be AW and Sharper's eventual replacements.
But they have to win that spot in training camp.
Right now AW and Sharper are simply out playing them.
And BTW< your comment about Sharper slowing up is a load of crap.
Iwould like to see an example of that.


I was going to reply, but it seems pointless after this rebuttal and the others.
What is truly amazing to me is SharperImage is still tryin to justify these head up the ass statements.
Almost ever day on the site I am amazed at the things people pull out of their ass.
All I can say is you must feel relieved SI, I bet that was one of the worse feelings of constipation you have ever had.

What's the encore?
Cris Carter is the worse WR the Vikings have ever had on their roster? Bud Grant does not deserve to be honored?
The Purple People Eaters were a joke?
After this thread nothing you write will surprise me.

Marrdro
08-24-2007, 07:46 PM
"ultravikingfan" wrote:


This is so ridiculous.

Do you even watch the games?
You probably stare at who has the ball the whole game the look at the end result and box score.
Sure, AW's strength is not his cover ability.
But you make it seem like he is roasted every other play.

Click here is you are struggling with understanding football (http://www.worldalmanacforkids.com/WAKI-ViewArticle.aspx?pin=x-fo055610a&article_id=606&chapter_id=13&chapter_title=Sports&article_title=Football_Basics/)


The hammer strikes.
;D
Nice.

MaxVike
08-24-2007, 08:19 PM
I must say that I admire those of you who kept the debate going.
I gave up on page 3.
From the Brick Wall to the "are you high?" to the 'Click here is you are having difficulty understanding football; to the 'this is pointless, what's next?'
Hours of priceless entertainment...thanks.
Skol PPO posters!

PurpleTide
08-25-2007, 11:40 AM
I can't believe I read this whole thread.... must be something in the water........ puzzled......... stop the speculations..... it is not time for them to be released, or traded. They are corner stones of our defense, at the high level they play their positions, and will be Vikings for the next 3 years atleast.

ejmat
08-26-2007, 12:12 AM
"NDVikingFan66" wrote:


"ItalianStallion" wrote:


They're both under contract for next season so I don't see why this one would be their last...


They could be cut for salary cap reasons, or just to make room for younger guys.
Under contract does not mean employed


Actually being under contract does mean employed.
Could they be released, cut, or traded?
Sure it can happen.
Then they wouldn't be under contract and therefore not employed.