PDA

View Full Version : Wade just trying to contribute - 5 years in, finally gets big chance at WR



singersp
08-22-2007, 08:07 AM
Wade just trying to contribute (http://www.twincities.com/vikings/ci_6683849)

Receiver also willing to return punts, kicks

BY SEAN JENSEN
Pioneer Press
Article Last Updated: 08/22/2007 12:13:48 AM CDT


...Wade, who signed a five-year, $15 million contract in the offseason, isn't ready to cast himself as the receiving corps' top dog....

Marrdro
08-22-2007, 08:47 AM
Nice read my friend.

singersp
08-24-2007, 07:12 AM
5 years in, Wade finally gets big chance at WR (http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news?slug=ap-vikings-wadeschance&prov=ap&type=lgns)

By JON KRAWCZYNSKI, AP Sports Writer
yahoo.com
August 23, 2007

EDEN PRAIRIE, Minn. (AP) -- Bobby Wade has all of 101 catches and two touchdowns after four seasons in the NFL.

Yet on the Minnesota Vikings youthful receiver corps, that's enough to make him a mentor.

Call him Obi-Wade........

Prophet
08-24-2007, 08:02 AM
Things change quickly in the NFL, some of the same naysayers might be sporting his jersey next year....then again, maybe not.

V-Unit
08-24-2007, 11:22 AM
Fact: For the Vikings to sport a winning record this year, Jackson, Wade, Williamson, and Shiancoe all need to have their best years ever.

The sad part is that isn't saying much. They need to double/triple their productivity actually.

snowinapril
08-24-2007, 11:45 AM
Asked if he's the No. 1 receiver, Wade said, "That's tough."

"I think that all shakes down to opportunities, and it's really hard to even get a good grasp on that right now, without even playing a real game, against a real opponent. All I can do is, when my number is called, step up to the plate and just capitalize on that opportunity. And that's all anybody can do in this offense."

That is a great attitude.
Nobody has to feel like the star.
TW doesn't have the pressure of being "the guy" and neither does Wade.
Now all they have to do is perform.

I really like how Wade has been getting open.
He also runs well after the catch.

NodakPaul
08-24-2007, 11:52 AM
"V" wrote:


Fact: For the Vikings to sport a winning record this year, Jackson, Wade, Williamson, and Shiancoe all need to have their best years ever.

The sad part is that isn't saying much. They need to double/triple their productivity actually.


I don't know if they all need to have the best years of their career in order for us to have a winning record.
I really think that we will be able to have a winning record with just an average offense.

BloodyHorns82
08-24-2007, 11:56 AM
"NodakPaul" wrote:


"V" wrote:


Fact: For the Vikings to sport a winning record this year, Jackson, Wade, Williamson, and Shiancoe all need to have their best years ever.

The sad part is that isn't saying much. They need to double/triple their productivity actually.


I don't know if they all need to have the best years of their career in order for us to have a winning record.
I really think that we will be able to have a winning record with just an average offense.


I would normally agree with that completely...but we lack in special teams too.
Our D is solid, but I think we need at least average numbers out of either the special teams, or offense to really be playoff caliber. (probably both)

huxx
08-24-2007, 12:08 PM
"Prophet" wrote:


Things change quickly in the NFL, some of the same naysayers might be sporting his jersey next year....then again, maybe not.


The naysayers should look at the stats.
He was underused in the past, but when he was thrown to, he caught the ball for a good average gain.
He's going to be a great addition.

Prophet
08-24-2007, 12:34 PM
"V" wrote:


Fact: For the Vikings to sport a winning record this year, Jackson, Wade, Williamson, and Shiancoe all need to have their best years ever.

The sad part is that isn't saying much. They need to double/triple their productivity actually.


That's a fact?
Here's a fact, if the Vikings scored one more TD in six of their games last year they would have finished 12-4.
If the Vikings keep a comparable defense and step it up even a little in offense the tides will change.

cajunvike
08-24-2007, 12:47 PM
Go get 'em, Wade!!!
And the rest of our young WR corps!!!

COJOMAY
08-24-2007, 12:47 PM
"Prophet" wrote:


"V" wrote:


Fact: For the Vikings to sport a winning record this year, Jackson, Wade, Williamson, and Shiancoe all need to have their best years ever.

The sad part is that isn't saying much. They need to double/triple their productivity actually.


That's a fact?
Here's a fact, if the Vikings scored one more TD in six of their games last year they would have finished 12-4.
If the Vikings keep a comparable defense and step it up even a little in offense the tides will change.


That's a remarkable stat Prophet! Here's another one I'm just guessing at. If we had had two less costly penalties in crucial situations per game, our record would have been 9-7 or 10-6.

PurpleTide
08-24-2007, 12:51 PM
"Prophet" wrote:


"V" wrote:


Fact: For the Vikings to sport a winning record this year, Jackson, Wade, Williamson, and Shiancoe all need to have their best years ever.

The sad part is that isn't saying much. They need to double/triple their productivity actually.


That's a fact?
Here's a fact, if the Vikings scored one more TD in six of their games last year they would have finished 12-4.
If the Vikings keep a comparable defense and step it up even a little in offense the tides will change.


Did someone say Tide? By just playing everygame this year, all three of these guys should more than double/triple their production. It also insures that they will be having career years. This all bodes well for us, as we will have a much improved offense from last year. People will be on the Chiller wagon by mid-season.

BloodyHorns82
08-24-2007, 12:56 PM
"PurpleTide" wrote:


"Prophet" wrote:


"V" wrote:


Fact: For the Vikings to sport a winning record this year, Jackson, Wade, Williamson, and Shiancoe all need to have their best years ever.

The sad part is that isn't saying much. They need to double/triple their productivity actually.


That's a fact?
Here's a fact, if the Vikings scored one more TD in six of their games last year they would have finished 12-4.
If the Vikings keep a comparable defense and step it up even a little in offense the tides will change.


Did someone say Tide? By just playing everygame this year, all three of these guys should more than double/triple their production. It also insures that they will be having career years. This all bodes well for us, as we will have a much improved offense from last year. People will be on the Chiller wagon by mid-season.


Even CCthebest?
;D

Prophet
08-24-2007, 12:57 PM
"BloodyHorns82" wrote:


"PurpleTide" wrote:


"Prophet" wrote:


"V" wrote:


Fact: For the Vikings to sport a winning record this year, Jackson, Wade, Williamson, and Shiancoe all need to have their best years ever.

The sad part is that isn't saying much. They need to double/triple their productivity actually.


That's a fact?
Here's a fact, if the Vikings scored one more TD in six of their games last year they would have finished 12-4.
If the Vikings keep a comparable defense and step it up even a little in offense the tides will change.


Did someone say Tide? By just playing everygame this year, all three of these guys should more than double/triple their production. It also insures that they will be having career years. This all bodes well for us, as we will have a much improved offense from last year. People will be on the Chiller wagon by mid-season.


Even CCthebest?
;D


He has so much crow to eat that his only redemption will be shining Childress' bald spot with his tongue.

tastywaves
08-24-2007, 01:01 PM
"I think he has a good feel for coverage. I think he is smart. I think he can beat man-to-man," Childress said. "I think he is shifty. I didn't particularly care for the drop the other night, but he had wiggled himself into a good position open. I think you saw his niftiness in the first game."

Thats a good characterization of Wade,, Nifty.
The Nifty Shifty one.
Should be a good addition, as long as they allow him to utilize his shifty niftiness. I expect him to be a frequent target for T-Jack.

lakehubertviking
08-24-2007, 01:05 PM
Childress said Jackson will play into the second quarter in Seattle, and then Brooks Bollinger will finish out the game.


Hopefully that's a typo and they meant into the 3rd quarter.
And I'd like to see Thigpen for a drive.
I have no desire to see Drew Henson play football ever again.

BloodyHorns82
08-24-2007, 01:05 PM
"Prophet" wrote:


"BloodyHorns82" wrote:


"PurpleTide" wrote:


"Prophet" wrote:


"V" wrote:


Fact: For the Vikings to sport a winning record this year, Jackson, Wade, Williamson, and Shiancoe all need to have their best years ever.

The sad part is that isn't saying much. They need to double/triple their productivity actually.


That's a fact?
Here's a fact, if the Vikings scored one more TD in six of their games last year they would have finished 12-4.
If the Vikings keep a comparable defense and step it up even a little in offense the tides will change.


Did someone say Tide? By just playing everygame this year, all three of these guys should more than double/triple their production. It also insures that they will be having career years. This all bodes well for us, as we will have a much improved offense from last year. People will be on the Chiller wagon by mid-season.


Even CCthebest?
;D


He has so much crow to eat that his only redemption will be shining Childress' bald spot with his tongue.


ROLF!
I ALMOST want Childress to succeed more just to hear what CCs response would be, than for the benefit of the Vikings organization.

Marrdro
08-24-2007, 07:30 PM
"PurpleTide" wrote:


"Prophet" wrote:


"V" wrote:


Fact: For the Vikings to sport a winning record this year, Jackson, Wade, Williamson, and Shiancoe all need to have their best years ever.

The sad part is that isn't saying much. They need to double/triple their productivity actually.


That's a fact?
Here's a fact, if the Vikings scored one more TD in six of their games last year they would have finished 12-4.
If the Vikings keep a comparable defense and step it up even a little in offense the tides will change.


Did someone say Tide? By just playing everygame this year, all three of these guys should more than double/triple their production. It also insures that they will be having career years. This all bodes well for us, as we will have a much improved offense from last year. People will be on the Chiller wagon by mid-season.

There will still be the haters.
By the way, those same haters would beeyatch if we won the SB and said that we didn't win by a big enough margin.

cajunvike
08-24-2007, 08:00 PM
"Marrdro" wrote:


"PurpleTide" wrote:


"Prophet" wrote:


"V" wrote:


Fact: For the Vikings to sport a winning record this year, Jackson, Wade, Williamson, and Shiancoe all need to have their best years ever.

The sad part is that isn't saying much. They need to double/triple their productivity actually.


That's a fact?
Here's a fact, if the Vikings scored one more TD in six of their games last year they would have finished 12-4.
If the Vikings keep a comparable defense and step it up even a little in offense the tides will change.


Did someone say Tide? By just playing everygame this year, all three of these guys should more than double/triple their production. It also insures that they will be having career years. This all bodes well for us, as we will have a much improved offense from last year. People will be on the Chiller wagon by mid-season.

There will still be the haters.
By the way, those same haters would beeyatch if we won the SB and said that we didn't win by a big enough margin.


ROTF!!!

MaxVike
08-24-2007, 09:03 PM
Bobby Wade
Season Team
Receiving Rushing Fumbles
G GS Rec Yds Avg Long TD Att Yds Avg Lng TD FUM Lost
2006
Tennessee Titans
16
2
33 461 14.0 25

2 --
-- -- -- -- 2 0
2005
Tennessee Titans
2
1
4

40 1 0.0 15

0 1 1 1.0 1 0 -- --
2005
Chicago Bears


12
0
10 80 8.0 17 0 -- -- -- -- -- 10 4
2004
Chicago Bears
16
14
42 481 11.5 40 0 12 76 6.3 14 0 2 1
2003
Chicago Bears
12
1
12 137 11.4 24 0 5 14 2.8 6 0 1 1
TOTAL 101 1199 11.9 40 2 18 91 5.1 14 0 15 6


Kevin Curtis
Season Team
Receiving Rushing Fumbles
G GS Rec Yds Avg Long TD Att Yds Avg Lng TD FUM Lost
2006
St. Louis Rams
16
1
40 479 12.0 42 4 4 4 1.0 7 0 1 1
2005
St. Louis Rams
16
9
60 801 13.4 83T 6 1 5 5.0 5T 1 2 1
2004
St. Louis Rams
15
0
32 421 13.2 41T 2 3 24 8.0 15 0 1 1
2003
St. Louis Rams
4
1
4 13 3.3 8 0 -- -- -- -- -- -- --
TOTAL 136 1714 12.6 83 12 8 33 4.1 15 1 4 3

Wes Welker
Season Team
Receiving Rushing Fumbles
G GS Rec Yds Avg Long TD Att Yds Avg Lng TD FUM Lost
2006
Miami Dolphins
16
2
67 687 10.3 38 1 -- -- -- -- -- 3 1
2005
Miami Dolphins
16
1
29 434 15.0 47 0 1 5 5.0 5 0 5 1
2004
Miami Dolphins
14
0
-- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- 4 1
2004
San Diego Chargers
1
0
-- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- --
TOTAL 96 1121 11.7 47 1 1 5 5.0 5 0 12 3

Brandon Stokley
[flash=200,200]Season Team
Receiving Rushing Fumbles
G GS Rec Yds Avg Long TD Att Yds Avg Lng TD FUM Lost
2006
Indianapolis Colts
4
1
8 85 10.6 23 1 -- -- -- -- -- -- --
2005
Indianapolis Colts
15
4
41 543 13.2 45 1 -- -- -- -- -- -- --
2004
Indianapolis Colts
16
3
68 1077 15.8 69T 10 -- -- -- -- -- 1 1
2003
Indianapolis Colts
6
3
22 211 9.6 37T 3 -- -- -- -- -- -- --
2002
Baltimore Ravens
8
5
24 357 14.9 35T 2 6 31 5.2 14 0 1 1
2001
Baltimore Ravens
16
5
24 344 14.3 46 2 1 1 1.0 1 0 1 0
2000
Baltimore Ravens
7
1
11 184 16.7 32 2 1 6 6.0 6 0 -- --
1999
Baltimore Ravens
2
0
1 28 28.0 28T 1 -- -- -- -- -- -- --

Just for fun, thought I would bring forward the stats of a few "slot" receivers.
They are all pretty much the same size and, arguably, play similarly - that being, quick, good hands, "team players,"
The more I look at this, the happier I think we are going to be with Wade.
So far, he is saying all of the right things and appears to be pretty stoked about playing here.
I think we found a good one.
Stokely, Curtis and Welker all received alot of publicity for their moves.
Living just south of Philly, I can tell you the Eagles fans are pretty excited about Curtis, Currently watching New England vs Carolina...Welker looks like he's gonna be Brady's new favorite.
Don't know how Stokely is doing so far, if he's even made an impact.


The slot receiver usually has favorable matchups, especially if he is quick and can move laterally.
I think we are going to be in good shape.
We should be more worried about Rice and Williamson stepping up to the plate.

V-Unit
08-24-2007, 09:18 PM
"MaxVike" wrote:



The slot receiver usually has favorable matchups, especially if he is quick and can move laterally.
I think we are going to be in good shape.
We should be more worried about Rice and Williamson stepping up to the plate.



I definetly agree with that.

Marrdro
08-25-2007, 08:08 AM
"MaxVike" wrote:


Bobby Wade
Season Team
Receiving Rushing Fumbles
G GS Rec Yds Avg Long TD Att Yds Avg Lng TD FUM Lost
2006
Tennessee Titans
16
2
33 461 14.0 25

2 --
-- -- -- -- 2 0
2005
Tennessee Titans

2
1
4

40 1 0.0 15


0 1 1 1.0 1 0 -- --
2005
Chicago Bears



12
0
10 80 8.0 17 0 -- -- -- -- -- 10 4
2004
Chicago Bears
16
14
42 481 11.5 40 0 12 76 6.3 14 0 2 1
2003
Chicago Bears
12
1
12 137 11.4 24 0 5 14 2.8 6 0 1 1
TOTAL 101 1199 11.9 40 2 18 91 5.1 14 0 15 6


Kevin Curtis
Season Team
Receiving Rushing Fumbles
G GS Rec Yds Avg Long TD Att Yds Avg Lng TD FUM Lost
2006
St. Louis Rams
16
1
40 479 12.0 42 4 4 4 1.0 7 0 1 1
2005
St. Louis Rams
16
9
60 801 13.4 83T 6 1 5 5.0 5T 1 2 1
2004
St. Louis Rams
15
0
32 421 13.2 41T 2 3 24 8.0 15 0 1 1
2003
St. Louis Rams
4
1
4 13 3.3 8 0 -- -- -- -- -- -- --
TOTAL 136 1714 12.6 83 12 8 33 4.1 15 1 4 3

Wes Welker
Season Team
Receiving Rushing Fumbles
G GS Rec Yds Avg Long TD Att Yds Avg Lng TD FUM Lost
2006
Miami Dolphins
16
2
67 687 10.3 38 1 -- -- -- -- -- 3 1
2005
Miami Dolphins
16
1
29 434 15.0 47 0 1 5 5.0 5 0 5 1
2004
Miami Dolphins
14
0
-- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- 4 1
2004
San Diego Chargers
1
0
-- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- --
TOTAL 96 1121 11.7 47 1 1 5 5.0 5 0 12 3

Brandon Stokley
[flash=200,200]Season Team
Receiving Rushing Fumbles
G GS Rec Yds Avg Long TD Att Yds Avg Lng TD FUM Lost
2006
Indianapolis Colts
4
1
8 85 10.6 23 1 -- -- -- -- -- -- --
2005
Indianapolis Colts
15
4
41 543 13.2 45 1 -- -- -- -- -- -- --
2004
Indianapolis Colts
16
3
68 1077 15.8 69T 10 -- -- -- -- -- 1 1
2003
Indianapolis Colts
6
3
22 211 9.6 37T 3 -- -- -- -- -- -- --
2002
Baltimore Ravens
8
5
24 357 14.9 35T 2 6 31 5.2 14 0 1 1
2001
Baltimore Ravens
16
5
24 344 14.3 46 2 1 1 1.0 1 0 1 0
2000
Baltimore Ravens
7
1
11 184 16.7 32 2 1 6 6.0 6 0 -- --
1999
Baltimore Ravens
2
0
1 28 28.0 28T 1 -- -- -- -- -- -- --

Just for fun, thought I would bring forward the stats of a few "slot" receivers.
They are all pretty much the same size and, arguably, play similarly - that being, quick, good hands, "team players,"
The more I look at this, the happier I think we are going to be with Wade.
So far, he is saying all of the right things and appears to be pretty stoked about playing here.
I think we found a good one.
Stokely, Curtis and Welker all received alot of publicity for their moves.
Living just south of Philly, I can tell you the Eagles fans are pretty excited about Curtis, Currently watching New England vs Carolina...Welker looks like he's gonna be Brady's new favorite.
Don't know how Stokely is doing so far, if he's even made an impact.


The slot receiver usually has favorable matchups, especially if he is quick and can move laterally.
I think we are going to be in good shape.
We should be more worried about Rice and Williamson stepping up to the plate.


Very nice post.
I still contend that they wanted both Curtis and Wade this year.
If that is the case, it sure would have been sweet to land both of them, then develop the young guys.

Anyway I guess its all a MOOT (mute) point.
I've been on the B-wade bandwagon since we picked him up.

PurpleTide
08-25-2007, 10:36 AM
Wade is
a sneaky receiver, and he's gonna have a career year this year. The X-factor here is going to be the play of TE, Shiancoe. Shincoe has the ability to get down the seam, and will beat a line backer, forcing the other team to put a safety on him. This opens up single coverage on someone else. Wade, Williams, Ferguson, Rice... This my purple clad friends, plays into our favor.

We should have a exciting offense this season, and Mr. Wade is gonna be a big third down, and get some YAC this year.

Marrdro
08-25-2007, 11:52 AM
"PurpleTide" wrote:



Wade is
a sneaky receiver, and he's gonna have a career year this year. The X-factor here is going to be the play of TE, Shiancoe. Shincoe has the ability to get down the seam, and will beat a line backer, forcing the other team to put a safety on him. This opens up single coverage on someone else. Wade, Williams, Ferguson, Rice... This my purple clad friends, plays into our favor.

We should have a exciting offense this season, and Mr. Wade is gonna be a big third down, and get some YAC this year.

I bet he gets a few looks on 1rst downs as well.
;D

PurpleTide
08-25-2007, 12:07 PM
We'll get Wade some throws on first and second down, but he's not a bad downfield blocker, and will make our run game just that much better.