PDA

View Full Version : this defense needs at least one more year....



vikingtim
11-14-2004, 06:44 PM
:( :( oh!!! our defense needs more time. maybe two defensive guys in free agency, and draft for defense,,,I say keep Cottrell just so we have the same defensive scheme and Corridinator for two years!! tough game boys,,,without Randy,, this will build hope for the team in the future, but for the next three weeks we need to build wins!!! go vikings :salute: :salute:

Foreman44
11-14-2004, 06:47 PM
Defense is abysmal. Period.

PAvikesfan
11-14-2004, 07:51 PM
"Foreman44" wrote:

Defense is abysmal. Period.

except for a few shining stars like keven Williams and Winfield (and EJ and Russel this week in particular, i really agree.

HarrisonB57
11-14-2004, 08:52 PM
I only have a few words to say about our defense in the first 3 quarters: F*&@!, S^#$!, Crap, Balls, Suck, vomit, dammit! :angryfire:

HarrisonB57
11-14-2004, 08:54 PM
And I do agree they need one more year.

XTAP59
11-14-2004, 08:56 PM
"vikingtim" wrote:

:( :( oh!!! our defense needs more time. maybe two defensive guys in free agency, and draft for defense,,,I say keep Cottrell just so we have the same defensive scheme and Corridinator for two years!! tough game boys,,,without Randy,, this will build hope for the team in the future, but for the next three weeks we need to build wins!!! go vikings :salute: :salute:

you have a point here. I was watching the early game today, the Colts, and the numbers the offense are putting up. Same core guys, T. Moore OC, for 7 years. It all comes together for them. Much like the 49ers of the 80's and early 90's.

The Vikes however, change OC and DC almost every year. It's hard to have continuance with new schemes each year to learn.

vking
11-14-2004, 10:09 PM
Forget the schemes, we don't have quality players on d.

When is the last time you even saw someone jump a route? Or a linebacker shoot a gap on an outside run? Not to often is it. Face facts we don't have a d that reacts well. We're like flat footed till its to late and the other guy is by us.

And one more thing , put B. Williams at safety so he can dish out a hit. Chavous is always late and never lays the lumber. A good d takes the game to the other team. Put somebody at safety that can hit and I know you'll see a different defensive tone. It's pretty sad when the only memorable hits have come from a cornerback.

RK.
11-15-2004, 12:26 AM
WE need more than just a year. We need at least 3 new DB's. :( Not going to happen with cheap ass Red at the helm however. :(

VikingsTw
11-15-2004, 12:35 AM
We need some help at LB, Claborne looked aight today, I want to see how the rest of the year goes for him because I know that fool can be a beast. EJ is somebody i want to stick with, he shows flashes of being a beast. I thought he played a really good second half. We need somebody on the strong side. We just flat out need a safety who is top notch, speed size all that stuff, of course they are hard to find. Why didnt we persue Harrison who is making a huge difference with the patriots. I remeber hoping we would sign him. There's some thing that we need, but for the rest of the year we are going to have to do with what we have. Claborne is back, Ej is doin decent, i guess the strong side is open. I would like to see raonall play there but he plays weakside.

cajunvike
11-15-2004, 12:41 AM
"vking" wrote:

Forget the schemes, we don't have quality players on d.

When is the last time you even saw someone jump a route? Or a linebacker shoot a gap on an outside run? Not to often is it. Face facts we don't have a d that reacts well. We're like flat footed till its to late and the other guy is by us.

And one more thing , put B. Williams at safety so he can dish out a hit. Chavous is always late and never lays the lumber. A good d takes the game to the other team. Put somebody at safety that can hit and I know you'll see a different defensive tone. It's pretty sad when the only memorable hits have come from a cornerback.

Welcome to the board, vking! That being said, we have plenty of talent on D, it is the experience that is lacking (many rookie and second-year players have had to step in because of injuries and to replace the no-talent players that we had before)...next year, we should get more players, but only to fill the holes and complement the talent that we do have (which will be more matured and experienced next year). The defense WILL come together next year and coupled with the offense will bring a Super Bowl title to Minnesota next year.

vking
11-15-2004, 07:30 PM
Thanks for the warm welcome cajunvike :wink: but I realy don't believe we'll be SB bound next year.

We lack way to much on D. Harkin back to our 15 and 1 year, what kept us out was the D. And that D was better than ours will be next year.

Even if somehow we got there, do you think our D would be in the same league as NewEnglands or Tampas when they one it all? Hate to tell it like it is but thats pretty much what it takes to win it all. You have to be agressive and we havn't had that since about 91'. And the reason being is simply the talent isn't there.

Don't get me wrong I love the Vikes but thanks to a friend that doesn't view the Vikes through the rose colored glasses we do, I've finally given into fact, the fact that we just don't cut it on D. Really, how many years has it been since we've known we needed improvement? After watching the last 3 games can you really say we're better?

TheAnimal93
11-15-2004, 07:48 PM
the D line is what needs to be tweaked the most, hovans' play is declining and the pass rush is non-existent. it all starts up front. get some pressure on the qb or its long completions, and then long runs when the D gets tired on the field. the pass rush is the most effective way to make the qb make mistakes. one of the know-it-all announcers said that they do not play physical enough to carry them through. not to knock them, but it is true to an extent. they need to play with more emotion and definitely with more of a mean streak.

cajunvike
11-15-2004, 09:34 PM
"vking" wrote:

Thanks for the warm welcome cajunvike :wink: but I realy don't believe we'll be SB bound next year.

We lack way to much on D. Harkin back to our 15 and 1 year, what kept us out was the D. And that D was better than ours will be next year.

Even if somehow we got there, do you think our D would be in the same league as NewEnglands or Tampas when they one it all? Hate to tell it like it is but thats pretty much what it takes to win it all. You have to be agressive and we havn't had that since about 91'. And the reason being is simply the talent isn't there.

Don't get me wrong I love the Vikes but thanks to a friend that doesn't view the Vikes through the rose colored glasses we do, I've finally given into fact, the fact that we just don't cut it on D. Really, how many years has it been since we've known we needed improvement? After watching the last 3 games can you really say we're better?

Look at the defense, position by position...objectively...you will see that we have many very talented players to build upon...you will also see that most of those players are very young and inexperienced. Fast forward to a year from now...two stud FA pickups, at CB and LB...a stud 1st round DT (to replace Hovan and be the run stuffer), another DL in the second, an LB in the third and a defensive steal in the fourth round (we are getting good at picking those fourth round gems)...some OL depth in the late rounds. The D is alot closer than you think to being very good...it just needs a few players to glue it together and then watch out.

LosAngelis
11-15-2004, 09:59 PM
I think I said this a long long time ago. You did bring in a lot of talent this summer, but a defense needs time to gel, know where each other will be in coverage.

Give it time. I don't see the Packers gelling anytime soon. Of course, you guys have enough high-round draft picks on that defense, they SHOULD gel sometime!

VikingsTw
11-16-2004, 12:11 AM
"vking" wrote:

Thanks for the warm welcome cajunvike :wink: but I realy don't believe we'll be SB bound next year.
We lack way to much on D. Harkin back to our 15 and 1 year, what kept us out was the D. And that D was better than ours will be next year.

Even if somehow we got there, do you think our D would be in the same league as NewEnglands or Tampas when they one it all? Hate to tell it like it is but thats pretty much what it takes to win it all. You have to be agressive and we havn't had that since about 91'. And the reason being is simply the talent isn't there.

Don't get me wrong I love the Vikes but thanks to a friend that doesn't view the Vikes through the rose colored glasses we do, I've finally given into fact, the fact that we just don't cut it on D. Really, how many years has it been since we've known we needed improvement? After watching the last 3 games can you really say we're better?

Can you imagine what the Panther fans where saying the year before they went to the big dance. 2-14 or something then they are in the playoffs :scratch: NEVER SAY NEVER Buddy!

snowinapril
11-16-2004, 10:33 AM
"vking" wrote:

Thanks for the warm welcome cajunvike :wink: but I realy don't believe we'll be SB bound next year.

We lack way to much on D. Harkin back to our 15 and 1 year, what kept us out was the D. And that D was better than ours will be next year.



Our d wasn't great that year but:

Please don't bring up the D on the 15-1 season. Against Atlanta, our D-was about 75% if that. The injuries just caught up with us. Randal was injured. He had the 100 yr old Talley in the game. The LBs were hurt. We probably wouldn't have been able to get healthy for the SuperBowl anyway. It wasn't pretty..

That game came down to a missed kick with our D totally decimated.

We won 15 games with that D when healthy.

Caine
11-18-2004, 10:53 PM
Looking at this D on paper during preseason, I thought, "DAMN!!! We should SMOKE".

Well....hasn't happened that way.

I believe that it has to start up front (As several others have mentioned). Hovan isn't anywhere near the impact player he was 2 years ago. in fact, he's all but dropped off the radar. As much as I loved his intensity two years ago, it wouldn't suprise me if he wasn't on the roster next season.

We need John Randall reincarnated. We need an animal that will be able to wreak havok. Mixon (15 tackles, 8 assists and 1.5 sacks) and Hovan(10 tackles, 7 assists and 1.5 sacks) aren't pulling their weight, and Udeze(16 tackles, 3 assists and 3 sacks) is a Rookie.

Without that front four kicking butt, the LB's and DB's are left with too much time to try and cover. Hells bells, I could get open against them with the time our D-line gives opposing QBs.

That's really all we need.

oh, and a new kicker...

and a new punter...

and a new stadium (NOT a Dome)...with GRASS, not turf...

and an owner who isn't a jack-ass...

But that's it.






I think...

Caine

cajunvike
11-19-2004, 01:50 AM
"Caine" wrote:

Looking at this D on paper during preseason, I thought, "DAMN!!! We should SMOKE".

Well....hasn't happened that way.

I believe that it has to start up front (As several others have mentioned). Hovan isn't anywhere near the impact player he was 2 years ago. in fact, he's all but dropped off the radar. As much as I loved his intensity two years ago, it wouldn't suprise me if he wasn't on the roster next season.

We need John Randall reincarnated. We need an animal that will be able to wreak havok. Mixon (15 tackles, 8 assists and 1.5 sacks) and Hovan(10 tackles, 7 assists and 1.5 sacks) aren't pulling their weight, and Udeze(16 tackles, 3 assists and 3 sacks) is a Rookie.

Without that front four kicking butt, the LB's and DB's are left with too much time to try and cover. Hells bells, I could get open against them with the time our D-line gives opposing QBs.

That's really all we need.

oh, and a new kicker...

and a new punter...

and a new stadium (NOT a Dome)...with GRASS, not turf...

and an owner who isn't a jack-ass...

But that's it.






I think...

Caine

Not a bad assessment, Caine...once again proving that you are Abel!
You just might make it here at Purplepride. :thumbleft:

SKOL
11-19-2004, 03:48 PM
Look for the defense to make huge strides this week. 1). Cottrell just simplified the defense to take away any hesitency from his young LB's (particularly EJ Henderson). 2). We're playing the Lions offense :lol: Granted they're not great, but having an effective game can do a lot to build confidence.

Claiborne's right, a 10 point vicory. Vikes 24, Lions 14.

ultravikingfan
11-19-2004, 10:15 PM
Tice may not see our new defense....?