PDA

View Full Version : Sharper, Greenway return Pennington passes for TDs in Vikings' win over Jets

COJOMAY
08-17-2007, 11:37 PM
http://www.startribune.com/510/story/1369679.html
Chad Pennington came out throwing this time — a little too often.

A week after not attempting a pass, the New York Jets quarterback had two ill-advised throws returned for touchdowns in a 37-20 loss to the Minnesota Vikings on Friday night.

Darren Sharper's 40-yard return came on Pennington's third pass, and Chad Greenway later brought one back 16 yards for the Vikings (1-1), who took advantage of nearly every mistake by the Jets (1-1).

gregair13
08-17-2007, 11:43 PM
all in all, it is a step in the right direction.

COJOMAY
08-17-2007, 11:46 PM
http://www.startribune.com/510/story/1369658.html
Three Vikings touchdowns, on two interception returns and a fumble return, trampled the Jets.
If the Vikings were waiting for Tarvaris Jackson to take a firm hold of the starting quarterback position in Friday night's preseason game against the New York Jets, it didn't happen.

But plenty else transpired on the rain-soaked turf at Giants Stadium in the Vikings' 37-20 victory before an announced crowd of 75,851 that wasn't even half that because of afternoon thunderstorms...

PurplePeopleEaters
08-17-2007, 11:54 PM
Players who stepped up tonight-

Adrian Peterson- We saw exactly what we drafted tonight. That's a spin move for the highlight reel. Not only does he have the blazing speed to take off after a move like that, but the next few plays he took it straight up the gut and hit the other guy in the mouth like a fullback. very versatile. Chester didn't look to shabby either.

Chad Greenway- I've heard he's fast but I haven't really seen it until now. I saw him in on almost every tackle with the first team. Not to mention him jumping in there and getting a pick 6. Great game for Chad.

Brian Robison- Forced Fumble, Fumble return for TD back to back. He had some good pressure throughout the game. I think he may challenge for one of the end spots at some point in the year.

Players I would like to see more from-

Ced Griffin- They threw at him a lot so i could give him a pass but he didn't look like a starting corner in his time today. I want to see more from him in the next game and the regular season before a read too much into it.

The WR corps- Rice did all right but Williamson was non existent for the most part and wade looked like nothing more than a slot receiver.

Braddock
08-17-2007, 11:59 PM
"PurplePeopleEaters" wrote:

Adrian Peterson- We saw exactly what we drafted tonight. That's a spin move for the highlight reel. Not only does he have the blazing speed to take off after a move like that, but the next few plays he took it straight up the gut and hit the other guy in the mouth like a fullback. very versatile. Chester didn't look to shabby either.

Chad Greenway- I've heard he's fast but I haven't really seen it until now. I saw him in on almost every tackle with the first team. Not to mention him jumping in there and getting a pick 6. Great game for Chad.

Brian Robison- Forced Fumble, Fumble return for TD back to back. He had some good pressure throughout the game. I think he may challenge for one of the end spots at some point in the year.

Ced Griffin- They threw at him a lot so i could give him a pass but he didn't look like a starting corner in his time today. I want to see more from him in the next game and the regular season before a read too much into it.

The WR corps- Rice did all right but Williamson was non existent for the most part and wade looked like nothing more than a slot receiver.

Only thing that went his way was that Bollinger bomb into double coverage, which he was in great position to catch, over the shoulder with his arms away from his body. I like keeping him in the dark, so he can surprise during the season. Plus, he threw some good blocks today, which no one notices but are very important. Rice did better than alright. That penalty on him was phooey and the catch in the middle and hanging on when he got plowed was awesome to see. Wade is nothing more than a slot receiver, how many other teams have decided that? so will we.

PurplePeopleEaters
08-18-2007, 12:00 AM
"Braddock" wrote:

Only thing that went his way was that Bollinger bomb into double coverage, which he was in great position to catch, over the shoulder with his arms away from his body. I like keeping him in the dark, so he can surprise during the season. Plus, he threw some good blocks today, which no one notices but are very important. Rice did better than alright. That penalty on him was phooey and the catch in the middle and hanging on when he got plowed was awesome to see. Wade is nothing more than a slot receiver, how many other teams have decided that? so will we.

Only problem being that Wade is currently our #1 receiver.

Braddock
08-18-2007, 12:03 AM

For now. Do you honestly think that'll stand past week 3? C'mon, lame point. He's only #1 now b/c Troy imploded last season and Rice is a rook. Guaranteed by the end of the season he'll be #3.

PurplePeopleEaters
08-18-2007, 12:52 AM
"Braddock" wrote:

For now. Do you honestly think that'll stand past week 3? C'mon, lame point. He's only #1 now b/c Troy imploded last season and Rice is a rook. Guaranteed by the end of the season he'll be #3.

Which brings me back to my original point. If he plays all season like he did today, he won't be our #1 receiver by the end of the year. The fact of the matter is that he is our #1 receiver right now and if he wants to keep that spot he needs to play like it. Just because he's played in the slot his whole career doesn't mean that he doesn't try to play like a #1.

And yeah... Troy imploded and Rice is a rookie. Both are essentially unproven.

vikingivan
08-18-2007, 04:20 AM
Would it be possible to score more defensive TD's than offensive?

Marrdro
08-18-2007, 06:13 AM

Nice post PPE.

One comment though, Bobby is a slot reciever, thats what he does, and with the heavy emphasis on the run tonight, they only threw one deep ball to Troy that was defensed perfectly.
Watch the re-run and you will see that he had his hands right were the ball was gonna be.

Marrdro
08-18-2007, 06:17 AM
"vikingivan" wrote:

Would it be possible to score more defensive TD's than offensive?

Possibly but not likely.

Something to think about related to tonight.

When the D spots you a lead like that you don't worry about scoring to much but rather chewing up the clock and not making dumb turnovers that will let the opposing team back in the game.

Heavy emphasis on run tonight was either by design (get backs and OL some work) or a shift in scheme to do just that.
Eat up the clock, score when you can and not turn the ball over.

Either way, they looked good doing. it.
;D

Whats the old saying, Defense wins championships.
Wonder why that old cliche' is still applicable these days?

PurpleTide
08-18-2007, 09:25 AM
Really good effort tonight, but it's still a preseason game and before we toot our horn's we know that we are still working to get better. When the defense is giving you a lead, the gameplan changes to protect the lead and be more consevative. We ran 2-1 over the pass, and mauled the Jets. I like that. The only thing I didn't like was the kick coverage. It always seems to be a issue with us.

We have good reason for optimism, but gotta temper it as this is only a preseason game, and we have lot's of work to do to get where we want to be.
I like the way were heading.

Braddock
08-18-2007, 09:49 AM

"Braddock" wrote:

Which brings me back to my original point. If he plays all season like he did today, he won't be our #1 receiver by the end of the year. The fact of the matter is that he is our #1 receiver right now and if he wants to keep that spot he needs to play like it. Just because he's played in the slot his whole career doesn't mean that he doesn't try to play like a #1.

Right, and i'm trying to look at this objectively, but even if Wade plays well, I would still think he'd go to #3. I think Troy is ready and Rice looked real good. So the point i was making is that Wade is only #1 b/c of his tenure and experience. Even if he plays at a good level, I feel Troy and Sid will surpass him by their abilities.

VKG4LFE
08-18-2007, 10:07 AM
I'm liking the defense!

Marrdro
08-19-2007, 07:03 AM
"Braddock" wrote:

"Braddock" wrote:

Right, and i'm trying to look at this objectively, but even if Wade plays well, I would still think he'd go to #3. I think Troy is ready and Rice looked real good. So the point i was making is that Wade is only #1 b/c of his tenure and experience. Even if he plays at a good level, I feel Troy and Sid will surpass him by their abilities.

What do you mean when you say/apply numbers to our recievers?

Here is a quote from a post I did on our WR and thier fit/role in a WCO.

http://www.purplepride.org/forums/index.php?topic=34209.msg579741#msg579741

The following snippet kindof blows the whole #1, #2, #3 WR arguement some of you still hold onto out the water doesn't it.
(Probably not though as some of you are as hard headed as I am
)

In essence, what we've learned are that the Flanker and Split End positions are not always viewed as a No. 1 and No. 2 because of the schemes. At times these receivers will post similar numbers. At the same time, a slot receiver should not be a targeted position as a fantasy receiver based on their limitations in targets. The TE position is key to a WCO and the ability of an RB and FB to be pass receivers is essential.

I found this very interesting as well.
Maybe this was a deciding factor for a certain WR that the team targeted in FA not to sign with us.

Since offensive balance is the aim of the WCO, parity is often the result of its proper execution. A good example (albeit of a bad WCO) is the situation in Carolina in 1999. George Siefert's Panthers ran a classic WCO that season (no shotgun formation, lots of two-back sets). At the end of the year, the top three receivers were within 9 receptions of one another, the TE had 43 receptions and the FB had 26 receptions. In Philadelphia last year, James Thrash and Todd Pinkston posted similar numbers (635 yards-6 TDs for Thrash and 798 yards and 7 TDs for Pinkston). This is the perfect illustration of the balance the WCO seeks in utilizing all offensive weapons.