PDA

View Full Version : Erasmus James activated

singersp
08-13-2007, 05:53 AM
Vikings notebook: James activated (http://www.mankatofreepress.com/sports/local_story_224233747.html)

Published August 12, 2007 11:37 pm

Erasmus James was activated from the physically-unable-to-perform list and practiced for the first time Sunday afternoon at Minnesota State.

Defensive end missed most of last season with knee injury

By Chad Courrier
The Free Press

MANKATO —
Erasmus James set a goal of returning to the Vikings before training camp ended. He was right, with just four days to spare...

singersp
08-13-2007, 06:18 AM
James back, welcomes competition (http://www.twincities.com/vikings/ci_6608824?nclick_check=1)

End goes through first practice after coming off PUP list

BY DON SEEHOLZER
Pioneer Press
Article Last Updated: 08/12/2007 11:27:06 PM CDT

MANKATO, Minn. - Better late than never?...

singersp
08-13-2007, 06:21 AM
Vikings' James cleared to start some 'catching up' (http://www.startribune.com/vikings/story/1358729.html)

After missing 19 full-team practices, former first-round pick Erasmus James was finally activated from the physically-unable-to-perform list.

By Judd Zulgad, Star Tribune

Last update: August 13, 2007 – 1:07 AM

PurpleTide
08-13-2007, 07:23 AM
It's good to have Erasmus back, we are gonna knock some QB's on their duffs this year. We have debth and a hunger to show that last year was a fluke sack wise. We have a rotation that isn't going to lose a step when they get in. This will keep fresh legs on the field all the way through the fourth qtr when games are on the line. I believe our defense will win games for us this year as our young offense developes and grows.

snowinapril
08-13-2007, 08:37 AM
James had been on an adjacent practice field working with trainers and watching teammates go through the first two weeks of training camp. He practiced with the third-team defense, behind starter Ray Edwards and rookie Brian Robison, but defensive coordinator Leslie Frazier said that James will be a starter when healthy.

Interesting!

jargomcfargo
08-13-2007, 09:22 AM
"snowinapril" wrote:

James had been on an adjacent practice field working with trainers and watching teammates go through the first two weeks of training camp. He practiced with the third-team defense, behind starter Ray Edwards and rookie Brian Robison, but defensive coordinator Leslie Frazier said that James will be a starter when healthy.

Interesting!

I don't think it's going to matter who starts. I think they will all see plenty of playing time, unless one player becomes an unblockable sack machine.
I just wonder how Robison, Edwards, or James for that matter, would do from the left side!
Or replace Pat with Edwards on passing downs. Just a thought.

NordicNed
08-13-2007, 09:36 AM
Nice to see EJ coming back, sounds like or DE's are going to be ready to go this year with lots of depth to it also.....

To tell you the truth, the player I'm most cercerned about and want to see some big improvments from ( as far as getting to the qb ) is Udeze....

He's been somewhat of a big disapointment to me....He really needs to step up.
One thing for sure, we are going to have fresh legs thruout the whole game this season, that can only be a very big plus for our line play....

bigbadragz
08-13-2007, 09:38 AM
i wasn't expecting him back this early, its great though cuz now he can get up to speed for when the season comes around.
i dont believe it matters who starts either cuz we will see a heavy rotation of guys all year.

maybe what looked to be a thin position will end up being very deep when all is said and done.
when you start looking at the defense, outside of maybe the lb corp we have some serious depth.
defense wins championships lets just hope the injury doesn't prevent him from being all the way back.

VKG4LFE
08-13-2007, 09:40 AM
James is a waste of roster space if you ask me. Ray Edwards has taken his spot and I don't think he'll be giving it back.

vikingivan
08-13-2007, 09:42 AM
"VKG4LFE" wrote:

James is a waste of roster space if you ask me. Ray Edwards has taken his spot and I don't think he'll be giving it back.

I agree that Ray will be the starter, but a waste of a roster place is pretty harsh.
He can give Ray a breather every once in awhile.

VKG4LFE
08-13-2007, 09:46 AM
Yeah, until he gets hurt again.

We'll probably cut Robinson to save room for James and that would be a mistake.

vikingivan
08-13-2007, 09:54 AM
"VKG4LFE" wrote:

Yeah, until he gets hurt again.

We'll probably cut Robinson to save room for James and that would be a mistake.

I assume you are referring to Brian Robison.
I agree that would be a mistake.
He has a tremendous upside.

VKG4LFE
08-13-2007, 10:00 AM
Yeah, sorry. I guess I've been against James since his days at sconnie. He's just not very impressive to me and I just think it's a mistake that some people think he's going to be a great speed rusher off the corner. Hopefully he comes back and makes me eat crow (I'm all for it if it helps the vikes) but I just don't see that happening!

vikingivan
08-13-2007, 10:05 AM
"VKG4LFE" wrote:

Yeah, sorry. I guess I've been against James since his days at sconnie. He's just not very impressive to me and I just think it's a mistake that some people think he's going to be a great speed rusher off the corner. Hopefully he comes back and makes me eat crow (I'm all for it if it helps the vikes) but I just don't see that happening!

Let's hope that Ray Edwards plays so well that he cannot get into the game.
Edwards plays mean, you have to like that.

VKG4LFE
08-13-2007, 10:07 AM
Yeah, he looked great on Friday, but that was against St. Louis' number 2's wasn't it. I can't remember if he started against their #1s or not.

Heath Farwell looked pretty good too (even though he didn't play against the #1s).

snowinapril
08-13-2007, 10:20 AM
"jargomcfargo" wrote:

"snowinapril" wrote:

Interesting!

I don't think it's going to matter who starts. I think they will all see plenty of playing time, unless one player becomes an unblockable sack machine.
I just wonder how Robison, Edwards, or James for that matter, would do from the left side!
Or replace Pat with Edwards on passing downs. Just a thought.

He didn't say which side he was going to start on.

Are Udeze's daze numbered?

Udeze better start playing up to his rookie year or he might be replaced by one of these young guys.

Robison, more than likely has a large learning curve ahead of him.
All the young guys we have had a end, have had a hard time adjusting to the NFL.
College ball they get to go all out to the QB on every play and in the NFL they have different roles on different plays.
Robison is still a nice young prospect but I think the fact that James and Edwards have had more time being educated and playing in the NFL, I think they are a step ahead for sure.

I don't care who plays just so they do well.

We should have a fresh rotation of DEs.

bigbadragz
08-13-2007, 11:19 PM
first off robison is in no way getting cut.
and neither is james.
you guys need to settle down for christ sakes.
the guy has played in so little games and you're ready to cut him loose like he's some 15 year veteran with nothing left.

first off edwards did play against the ones and was probably the reason for dwight smith's pick cuz of the pressure he provided.

2ndly if we are going to have success rushing the pass we are gonna need both james and edwards to be successful, or some combination of de.
it's not like pressure from one side is gonna solve all our problems, plus you know childress likes to rotate guys all game to keep them fresh for the 4th quarter.

when it comes to these guys there is plenty of space on the roster for them.
if you are gonna worry about a line, start looking whats playing across from the d-line.
our o-line is thin as f--k

singersp
08-14-2007, 05:27 AM
"bigbadragz" wrote:

if you are gonna worry about a line, start looking whats playing across from the d-line.

Been saying that all offseason. Not to mention the starters we have on the right side aren't exactly great.

We are dangerously thin at LT. If McKinnie gets injured again for any period of time, it's going to be a long season for T-Jack.

PurpleTide
08-14-2007, 05:43 AM
We can't have anymore injuries on the o-line. Losing Adam O'Conner, leaves us with Josh Day, Chase Johnson, and Marcus Johnson, with Hicks also a possibility at LT. Not exactly household names.

So Erasumus in his effort to get back, better not injure a offensive tackle, as that would be counterproductive.

Marrdro
08-14-2007, 06:16 AM
"bigbadragz" wrote:

first off robison is in no way getting cut.
and neither is james.
you guys need to settle down for christ sakes.
the guy has played in so little games and you're ready to cut him loose like he's some 15 year veteran with nothing left.

first off edwards did play against the ones and was probably the reason for dwight smith's pick cuz of the pressure he provided.

2ndly if we are going to have success rushing the pass we are gonna need both james and edwards to be successful, or some combination of de.
it's not like pressure from one side is gonna solve all our problems, plus you know childress likes to rotate guys all game to keep them fresh for the 4th quarter.

Nice post big guy.
I'm with you and Singer.
I was of the mind that our DE play was gonna still be an issue this year and our OL was gonna be a strenght.

I think I am flip flopping (a bit mind you) on this stance.
;D

bigbadragz
08-14-2007, 10:07 PM
"singersp" wrote:

"bigbadragz" wrote:

Been saying that all offseason. Not to mention the starters we have on the right side aren't exactly great.

We are dangerously thin at LT. If McKinnie gets injured again for any period of time, it's going to be a long season for T-Jack.

no doubt, i guess we should pretty much expect them to try to pick up somebody cuz i cannot see how they could be comfortable going into the season with what we got now, in anyway.
but will there be anyone that is actually decent out there?

singersp
08-14-2007, 10:57 PM
"bigbadragz" wrote:

"singersp" wrote:

"bigbadragz" wrote:

no doubt, i guess we should pretty much expect them to try to pick up somebody cuz i cannot see how they could be comfortable going into the season with what we got now, in anyway.

It won't do much good. Like I've been saying, they won't know the offense & it takes over 1 year to learn.

bigbadragz
08-15-2007, 03:20 AM
"singersp" wrote:

"bigbadragz" wrote:

"singersp" wrote:

"bigbadragz" wrote:

It won't do much good. Like I've been saying, they won't know the offense & it takes over 1 year to learn.

unless they pick up someone who is somewhat familiar with the offense.
the guys they have now are not that familiar and we dont even know if they can seriously play at the nfl level considering most of them are undrafted free agents.
the vikes had enough money where they shouldn't have let it come to this cuz we can get bad real quick on the o-line