PDA

View Full Version : Bollinger to Start vs. Jets???

COJOMAY
08-11-2007, 06:53 PM
"He knows that defense forwards and backwards," Childress said, "so we might just do that."

Billy Boy
08-11-2007, 07:03 PM
"He knows that defense forwards and backwards," Childress said, "so we might just do that."

Chili previously talked about being a equal opportunity employer.
He claimed he was stressing being as fair as possible and giving even opportunities to judge the QBs.
So why Give Bollinger a start here specifically because he would have an advantage?
Sounds more like a regular season idea not something a coach pulls in pre-season.

Maybe I am just dehydrated.

snowinapril
08-11-2007, 07:14 PM
"Billy" wrote:

Chili previously talked about a equal opportunity employer.
He claimed he was stressing being as fair as possible and giving even opportunities to judge the QBs.
So why Give Bollinger a start here specifically because he would have an advantage?
Sounds more like a regular season idea not something a coach pulls in pre-season.

Maybe I am just dehydrated.

I thought the same thing about the regular season vs pre.

happy camper
08-11-2007, 07:27 PM
I was dissapointed in Bollinger last night.

And while some might view this as a weird thing to do, I think it might be a good idea. If Bollinger doesn't preform well against a defense he knows well, then we will know he doesn't deserve a #1 spot and maybe not even a #2. If Chilly really wants to find out soon, having him start next week might be a good time.

MaxVike
08-11-2007, 07:54 PM
The Jets have a chance to be one of the good teams this year, I think.
The Bears made an error getting rid of Jones...he is just what Mangina needs.
Starting Bollinger gives him an excuse to coddle TJack a little more; NY this Friday is going to be a tough spot methinks.
Mangina is a good coach and the Jets have alot of talent.

Purple Floyd
08-11-2007, 09:26 PM
He needs to get his crap together. If what we saw from him last night is what he has to offer he should be cut.

NordicNed
08-11-2007, 09:34 PM
Well, I'm sure Chili will do the right thing, but Bollinger did look like crap last night...Hell, Thigpen played better that BB....

kjdaddy
08-11-2007, 09:36 PM
I'd love to start Brady Quinn next game, oh poop, we didnt draft him! :-

DaVizzles
08-11-2007, 09:57 PM
For some reason i named my Fantasy football team...Brooksie B's Ballas ;D just to let you know

cajunvike
08-12-2007, 12:19 AM
"UffDaVikes" wrote:

He needs to get his crap together. If what we saw from him last night is what he has to offer he should be cut.

And he WILL be...just as soon as the Iggles cut Kelly Holcomb so that we can pick him up!
:D

PurpleHornsOfDestruction
08-12-2007, 12:41 AM
Though as you know Id like Bollinger to start there is a better possibility that Childress just wants then to Bollinger to work his hardest too make that possibility into a probability and T-Jack will work his heart out to make sure that doesn't happen. He's been doing it a lot. He said there's a possibility that they only keep 3 safetys in the Stqar Tribune even though they're looking at 4 so that Dwight Smith, Greg Blue and Mike Doss work as hard as they can to stay on the team. I played football It what coaches do. it could be that and I have noo real prooof but just my gut you know telling me he wants to intensify that qB competition even more.

He might as well sign everyone to a one year contract so that every years there contract year. That way everybodys working their hardest to get renewed.

DustinDupont
08-12-2007, 01:08 AM
if bollinger starts i will be soo pissed... he was like the only guy that stood out to me that didnt play good

midgensa
08-12-2007, 01:49 AM
blah blah blah ... you want Bollinger to start so you stat saying that Childress will do it? Anywhere that Childress is rumored to want Bollinger to start? Why would they want one year contracts? Anyone can be cut AND NOT PAID ... so they work their hardest anyways ... seems like a bunch of hogwash to me.

Marrdro
08-12-2007, 06:12 AM
People People People........
Its pre-season.........

If there really is a competition at QB (IMHO I don't think there really is) then the other guy will get a start as well.
Oh by the way, just in case you didn't know and so you won't run around yelling about the sky falling, we will see this happen at other positions as well.

On a lighter note and addressing something that really looked bad (and it wasn't at the QB position)......

Fullback Tony Richardson was told by Childress on Thursday that he wouldn't be playing. "He told me I was getting the senior veteran's night off," Richardson said. He wanted to play but wasn't about to argue. "If [the coach] says you're not playing you can't trump that call," he said.

I thought that Dugan filled in pretty admirably for Tony.
Saw a few nice blocks and a reception.
That is good news.
Hopefully a play/series off every now and then by someone like Dugan will keep Tony healthy for the whole year cause our OL might still have a few issues.
;D

Prophet
08-12-2007, 06:17 AM
If Bollinger is the king of the Jets defense then give him a chance to rip them apart, if he can't, then demote him to the #3 slot and promote Thigpen :).
Bollinger is a few yrs removed from his former team....last I checked there are many changes to their defense since then.
Gotta love rumors treated as fact.

singersp
08-12-2007, 07:53 AM
"Marrdro" wrote:

Its pre-season.........

Exactly! What people fail to realize is that preseason is a time to evaluate the new players as well as the younger/newly aquired players. What they will be doing is playing rookies & new acquisitions & second stringers so to speakagainst the opponents starters to see how well they play against them.

You can't always accurrately evaluate players if you're putting them up against another teams 2nd & 3rd string players throughout all of preseason.

If Bollinger starts, you can bet there will be other rookies & 2nd stringers starting also.

scumpuke
08-12-2007, 09:07 AM
"singersp" wrote:

"Marrdro" wrote:

Its pre-season.........

Exactly! What people fail to realize is that preseason is a time to evaluate the new players as well as the younger/newly aquired players. What they will be doing is playing rookies & new acquisitions & second stringers so to speakagainst the opponents starters to see how well they play against them.

You can't always accurrately evaluate players if you're putting them up against another teams 2nd & 3rd string players throughout all of preseason.

If Bollinger starts, you can bet there will be other rookies & 2nd stringers starting also.

WORD

(I mean, what he said ...)

scores in pre-season don't matter, or it might even go the other way, consider that Colts and N England both lost this first game and both went 50-50 or worse last pre-season. it matters not.

MaxVike
08-12-2007, 10:47 AM
"cajunvike" wrote:

"UffDaVikes" wrote:

And he WILL be...just as soon as the Iggles cut Kelly Holcomb so that we can pick him up!

I hope you are right and all of the speculation is true about Holcomb.
Maybe that's been the master plan all along
???.

Personally, I think Chilly should start Bollinger Friday against the Jets.
The most important game of the preseason (according to most) is Game 3.
Nearly no QB goes through a season playing all 16 games, so, if Bollinger is not cut, he will most assuredly be playing.

Yes, he looked like crap against the Rams.
Let's see how he performs with the first team offense for a couple or three series, then put TJack in for the rest of the first half with the first team.
Childress absolutely needs to see if Bollinger can play or not...you could flip flop the scenario I've outlined and be able to evaluate similarly.

Marrdro
08-13-2007, 12:26 PM
"MaxVike" wrote:

"cajunvike" wrote:

"UffDaVikes" wrote:

???.

Nearly no QB goes through a season playing all 16 games, so, if Bollinger is not cut, he will most assuredly be playing.

Let's see how he performs with the first team offense for a couple or three series, then put TJack in for the rest of the first half with the first team.
Childress absolutely needs to see if Bollinger can play or not...you could flip flop the scenario I've outlined and be able to evaluate similarly.

Still a bit confused on the whole Holcomb thing.

Are we trying to say we want him because he has been a great career backup and he is a better backup than Bollinger or.......

Are we saying we want him to come in and start because he has been a great career backup and will be better than TJ?

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/players/stats?playerId=1162

TD's - 37, INT's 37.
He is currently 4th on the depth chart behind McNabb (understand that) Feeley (don't understand that), Kolb (Understand that).
Feeley sucks, Kolb had a high draft pick used on him.
Is this guy worse than Feeley?

Again, just a bit confused. Hope it is the first option and not the second.
Educate me people, what am I missing if it is the second option we are all clamoring for.
::)

cajunvike
08-13-2007, 12:35 PM
"Marrdro" wrote:

"MaxVike" wrote:

"cajunvike" wrote:

"UffDaVikes" wrote:

???.

Are we trying to say we want him because he has been a great career backup and he is a better backup than Bollinger or.......

Are we saying we want him to come in and start because he has been a great career backup and will be better than TJ?

TD's - 37, INT's 37.
He is currently 4th on the depth chart behind McNabb (understand that) Feeley (don't understand that), Kolb (Understand that).

Educate me people, what am I missing if it is the second option we are all clamoring for.

Holcomb has started many games in the past, for both Clevesuck and Buffaho, with some good results...and most importantly, he IS a better option than Bollinger, Henson and Thigpen.

Marrdro
08-13-2007, 12:36 PM
"cajunvike" wrote:

"Marrdro" wrote:

"MaxVike" wrote:

"cajunvike" wrote:

"UffDaVikes" wrote:

???.

TD's - 37, INT's 37.

Holcomb has started many games in the past, for both Clevesuck and Buffaho, with some good results...and most importantly, he IS a better option than Bollinger, Henson and Thigpen.

First option then.
I concur.
;D

VKG4LFE
08-13-2007, 12:40 PM
Why have him start, HE SUCKS!! Why have him on the team, HE SUCKS!! I say give Tjack most of the time so he can progress and be ready for the regular season when he will be the starter.

DustinDupont
08-14-2007, 01:14 AM
so true let tarvaris play 3 quarters, and for the 4th that thigpen play, screw bollinger!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

tb04512
08-14-2007, 01:19 AM
let bollinger play the first series and thats it

DustinDupont
08-14-2007, 03:19 AM
no!!! no!!!! no!!!! fukc bollinger

AngloVike
08-14-2007, 03:35 AM
Let him start.. supposing T-Jack gets injured in the first series of the regular season - do you really then want to have had your #2 QB standing around all preseason with no game-time practice?
course not. That's one reason for preseason, give players who may not be regular contributors a chance to blow the cobwebs out and at least be in a position to step up if needed.
If we went 0-4 in preseason then I wouldn't worry if it meant that we got the entire team ready for the regular season.

singersp
08-14-2007, 05:13 AM
"DustinDupont" wrote:

Relax!

Teams don't always put their starters in, in the first quarter. They mix it up. They'll also be evaluating the new & young talent & in order to get a good assesment, they'll be putting some of them in against starters to see how they fare.

singersp
08-14-2007, 06:29 AM
QB looking forward to Friday (http://www.twincities.com/vikings/ci_6616441)

Bollinger to take some snaps against former team

BY DON SEEHOLZER
Pioneer Press
Article Last Updated: 08/14/2007 12:57:58 AM CDT

MANKATO, Minn. - Quarterback Brooks Bollinger is slated to get some snaps with the Vikings' first-team offense Friday night, and he's looking forward to the opportunity....

Prophet
08-14-2007, 07:16 AM
"singersp" wrote:

"DustinDupont" wrote:

Relax!

Teams don't always put their starters in, in the first quarter. They mix it up. They'll also be evaluating the new & young talent & in order to get a good assesment, they'll be putting some of them in against starters to see how they fare.

I guess memory banks only go back a little ways so these sorts of things have to be re-hashed every year.

Is this the thread where someone was calling for Aaron Brooks?
WTF?
I've seen that dude play a lot and the one of the best things the Saints ever did was to get rid of that piece of trash.
I'm so thankful that the team isn't run by armchair coaches.....talk about empty stadiums.

jargomcfargo
08-14-2007, 11:27 AM
Lot of irrational posts in this thread.
Are we talking about practice ?Isn't pre season practice?
I don't care who starts. I just don't want to see TJ play with the second team offense at a crucial time in the development of his confidence.He has a good start. Let's keep him with the first team to allow him the best opportunity to build confidence.
There is little question who our starter is going to be. The competition is in name only unless TJ folds.
I would start TJ
for one
or two series, then give Bollinger some time with the first team.

http://www.startribune.com/blogs/vikings/

Brad Childress said his plan for Friday night’s second preseason game against the Jets is to play his starters for the opening half. It does sound as if quarterback Brooks Bollinger might get some second quarter snaps with the first team. Bollinger worked with the second unit in Friday night’s opener.

minnesota
08-14-2007, 05:10 PM
yo screw bollinger start thigpen

cogitans
08-14-2007, 05:14 PM
"minnesota" wrote:

No no, start Henson. Rotate in the ball boy

minnesota
08-14-2007, 05:44 PM
"cogitans" wrote:

"minnesota" wrote:

put me in coach

cajunvike
08-14-2007, 05:46 PM
"minnesota" wrote:

"cogitans" wrote:

"minnesota" wrote:

put me in coach

You ready to play?
You can be center field!

singersp
08-14-2007, 07:20 PM
"jargomcfargo" wrote:

I would start TJ
for one

I disagree. T-Jack has had very little playing time against other teams & he needs all the time he can get to get more comfortable & into the flow.

He needs to play at least a quarter & a half IMO.

jargomcfargo
08-14-2007, 07:51 PM
"singersp" wrote:

"jargomcfargo" wrote:

I would start TJ
for one

I disagree. T-Jack has had very little playing time against other teams & he needs all the time he can get to get more comfortable & into the flow.

He needs to play at least a quarter & a half IMO.

Disagree? No way.
Go back and read the post again. The part you chose to pluck out and quote is offered as an alternative to starting Bollinger.
I agree with you completely! Hence the referance to, we all know who the starter is going to be.
Misunderstood? yes.
Disagree? no.

jessejames09
08-14-2007, 08:06 PM
"minnesota" wrote:

I take it you're a new-yorker. lol 8).

NordicNed
08-14-2007, 08:55 PM
After seeing BB last week, I won't understand the reasoning to see him start on Friday....He didn't earn it, period.

TJ needs every chance he can get to play with the 1st team and to me that meens starting Friday night.
Let TJ play the first quarter again and leave some of the 1st team into the second and replace TJ with BB.

Personaly, I'de like to see more of what Thigpen can do with the 2nd team this time, instead of the 3rd......

ForceOfNorse
08-14-2007, 09:13 PM
"NordicNed" wrote:

After seeing BB last week, I won't understand the reasoning to see him start on Friday....He didn't earn it, period.

TJ needs every chance he can get to play with the 1st team and to me that meens starting Friday night.
Let TJ play the first quarter again and leave some of the 1st team into the second and replace TJ with BB.

Personaly, I'de like to see more of what Thigpen can do with the 2nd team this time, instead of the 3rd......

I agree totally, NordicNed.

bigbadragz
08-14-2007, 09:57 PM
didn't childress just say last week that he wanted tjack to get comfortable with the number 1's thats why he would only play one quarter.
so what would be the point of starting bollinger?
and what's with the logic of him knowing the jets better?
it's a preseason game, who cares?
it's not like it's counting in the standings so why would his familiarity play a factor in him starting?
i dont buy this one bit.

singersp
08-16-2007, 06:33 AM
Regarding the Jets game;

"Brad Childress did reveal his plans for the quarterback rotation on Friday. Tarvaris Jackson will play the first quarter, Brooks Bollinger the second, Drew Henson the third and Tyler Thigpen the fourth. Most of the starters will play the first half so Bollinger will get his first preseason work with the top unit."

http://www.startribune.com/blogs/vikings/?p=873

bigbadragz
08-16-2007, 07:03 AM
"singersp" wrote:

Regarding the Jets game;

"Brad Childress did reveal his plans for the quarterback rotation on Friday. Tarvaris Jackson will play the first quarter, Brooks Bollinger the second, Drew Henson the third and Tyler Thigpen the fourth. Most of the starters will play the first half so Bollinger will get his first preseason work with the top unit."

yah i read this last night.
i knew it.
i dont even know why i get all worked up when these reporters write something when i know better.
it will be nice to see the 1's for a full half, even if tjack is only qbing for one of the quarters.

Marrdro
08-16-2007, 07:18 AM
"bigbadragz" wrote:

"singersp" wrote:

Regarding the Jets game;

yah i read this last night.
i knew it.
i dont even know why i get all worked up when these reporters write something when i know better.
it will be nice to see the 1's for a full half, even if tjack is only qbing for one of the quarters.

Thats why you have to go easy big fella.
;D

Half of em don't know what the hell they are writing about anyway.
Then throw in the fact that the Chiller keeps alot of stuff close to his vest in relation to his staff and team and they will start speculating and making shit up.

I am mildly suprised when one of em writes something intelligent and feel absolutely nothing when they write drivel as it is expected.