PDA

View Full Version : Wondering about something somebody said to me today......

poult
11-11-2004, 01:16 AM
alright, someone at work (i live in milwaukee) decided to go off on another vikings suck tirade, but during it he brought up herschel walker. which got me thinking, i always hear people say that trade made the cowboys able to win the superbowl, how? how could it have been that lopsided, i know it was for a few players and a pick or something, but who were the players? when it was all said and done, what did the cowboys end up with?

and if it was as bad as i hear, how long did the GM last after he made it?

hawaiianvike21
11-11-2004, 03:44 AM
All i can say is that t hey didnt get just one pick, they got a ton of picks which turned out mainly to be linemen. THus it helped dallas in my theory control both sides of the ball with the linemen selected which later led to them winnning the superbowl. NOt sure if im right but i know they got some linemen in the draft with our picks.

And i know they got darren woodson out of the draft which could have been ours if we had that draft pick out of the players still around today. Im prolly missing some more.

jackyl
11-11-2004, 10:37 AM
Cowboys also got E Smith 22

jackyl
11-11-2004, 10:44 AM
Dallas got...
Minnesota's 1st round pick in 1991 (21)
Minnesota's 2nd round pick in 1990 (47)
Minnesota's 6th round pick in 1990 (158)
Minnesota's 1st round pick in 1991 (conditional) (Pick 11)
Minnesota's 2nd round pick in 1991 (conditional) - (Pick 38 )
Minnesota's 1st round pick in 1993 (conditional) - (Pick 13)
Minnesota's 2nd round pick in 1992 (conditional) - (Pick 40)
Minnesota's 3rd round pick in 1992 (conditional) - (Pick 71)

Because of the trade, Dallas ended up with:
Emmitt Smith
Russell Maryland
Kevin Smith
Darren Woodson
Clayton Holmes

purplehorn
11-11-2004, 10:46 AM
Dang it I had tried to forget about that mess!!
Worst trade in NFL history

cajunvike
11-11-2004, 10:59 AM
"jackyl" wrote:

Dallas got...

Emmitt Smith
Russell Maryland
Kevin Smith
Darren Woodson
Clayton Holmes

I think that they got players too...Darrin Nelson, Issaic Holt, others???

jackyl
11-11-2004, 11:58 AM
"cajunvike" wrote:

I think that they got players too...Darrin Nelson, Issaic Holt, others???

Yep.

LB Jesse Solomon
DB Issiac Holt
RB Darrin Nelson
LB David Howard
DE Alex Stewart

shockzilla
11-11-2004, 12:22 PM
Yes, it was definitely THE WORST trade in NFL history, and the most lopsided. I think the main thinking behind why the Vikings pulled the trigger on it was this: they actually thought that Herschel was the "last piece of the puzzle" on the Viking road to the Super Bowl. And during the first game after the trade (against none other than the Packers), it sure looked like Herschel was the man - he ran for over 100 yds., had a long run for a TD (losing a shoe in the process). Of course, as every true Viking fan knows, it was the beginning of the end of the Jerry Burns/Mike Lynne era in Minnesota and the beginning of a LONG playoff dry spell...

In short, there's only ONE word that describes that trade:

DOH!

VKG4LFE
11-11-2004, 12:37 PM
"jackyl" wrote:

Dallas got...

Emmitt Smith
Russell Maryland
Kevin Smith
Darren Woodson
Clayton Holmes

jackyl, I know you were smiling while you were typing that whole thing out weren't you!!

Kleinsasser40
11-11-2004, 12:39 PM
Wait a minute, let me get this straight, we traded them ALL those players and ALL those picks for Walker at the end of his prime?

VKG4LFE
11-11-2004, 12:41 PM
Yup! All I remember is that I was really happy because I was like 8 and we were getting Hershel Walker the greatest football player!! How many years did he play with us, like 4? What a disaster.

poult
11-11-2004, 01:53 PM
unbelieveable.......... all those picks and players for one guy??????? how long did the GM or whoever pulled the trigger on that trade last after that?

that is the worst trade ive ever heard of in any sport.

but thanks for the info guys, i knew it was bad, i just didnt know it was that bad.

SKOL
11-11-2004, 01:58 PM
poult, it's the same GM (Mike Lynn) that will continue to get 10% of the gross suite revenue at the Metrodome through 2011. He set the team back 5 years talent-wise, and continues to take millions of dollars to boot. He did however negotiate a solid lease, with guarantee's from the NFL, so that Red can't move the team... but I guess, in the long run it benefited him as much as Minnesota.

snowinapril
11-11-2004, 02:50 PM
"VKG4LFE" wrote:

Yup! All I remember is that I was really happy because I was like 8 and we were getting Hershel Walker the greatest football player!! How many years did he play with us, like 4? What a disaster.

I don't think it was that long. It was like his second year with us when he was found in his garage with the car running. Something like that. He then quit shortly after. It wasn't very long. It seemed like 2 years max.

It was the draft picks that killed us.

jackyl
11-11-2004, 02:51 PM
"VKG4LFE" wrote:

jackyl, I know you were smiling while you were typing that whole thing out weren't you!!
LOL :lol:

VKG4LFE
11-11-2004, 04:02 PM
"snowinapril" wrote:

"VKG4LFE" wrote:

I don't think it was that long. It was like his second year with us when he was found in his garage with the car running. Something like that. He then quit shortly after. It wasn't very long. It seemed like 2 years max.

Yeah, I don't know how long, that was just a guess! 2 years is probably right because he never played for Denny Green did he. It was only Burnsie!!

Vikes
11-11-2004, 05:00 PM
"jackyl" wrote:

Dallas got...

Emmitt Smith
Russell Maryland
Kevin Smith
Darren Woodson
Clayton Holmes

Wow WOw Wow!!!!! That is crazy! Also I heard that trade happened because the Vikings had some many owners and they could never make good decisions. Who were the oweners?

Wow its hard to stay the course when you lose the map. That trade is losing the map.

LosAngelis
11-11-2004, 06:11 PM
I think the worst part was the pressure and criticism laid on Walker. The guy had no say in who he was traded for, and I know he got lambasted.

Same thing (to a much lesser degree) happened to Ricky Williams in New Orleans when Mike Ditka traded all of his draft picks to get him. While people were mad at Ditka, Ricky never got much of a fair shake, either. I'd start smoking pot, too.

(by the way, I keep suggesting you guys trade Moss for a similar deal, but no one ever listens to me. I suggest the same thing now for Ahman Green for us....get some stupid team to give us a couple first rounders and bonus picks for him. Moss could possibly get you many of those picks back.)

hawaiianvike21
11-12-2004, 02:10 AM
"LosAngelis" wrote:

I think the worst part was the pressure and criticism laid on Walker. The guy had no say in who he was traded for, and I know he got lambasted.

Same thing (to a much lesser degree) happened to Ricky Williams in New Orleans when Mike Ditka traded all of his draft picks to get him. While people were mad at Ditka, Ricky never got much of a fair shake, either. I'd start smoking pot, too.

(by the way, I keep suggesting you guys trade Moss for a similar deal, but no one ever listens to me. I suggest the same thing now for Ahman Green for us....get some stupid team to give us a couple first rounders and bonus picks for him. Moss could possibly get you many of those picks back.)

I'd start smoking pot, too.

SHame on you then. :lol: [/code]

hawaiianvike21
11-12-2004, 02:10 AM
"LosAngelis" wrote:

I'd start smoking pot, too.

SHame on you then. :lol:

VikingsTw
11-12-2004, 02:24 AM
"LosAngelis" wrote:

I dont think thats a very good idea, RB's grow on trees compared to star WR like Moss. Even if we did get two first rounders for him, would they really make up for the most explosive and feared weapon in the league? It would really a have to be rediculous for us to give up moss.

TheAnimal93
11-12-2004, 07:12 AM
get rid of #84, are you crazy? doesnt moss still have more tds than half the leagues players? HE IS THE MOST dangerous player in the game. just look what defenses have to do to defend him. and that makes everyone around him better. not in a million years trade him. maybe when he is fifty!!!

cajunvike
11-12-2004, 09:13 AM
"VKG4LFE" wrote:

"snowinapril" wrote:

"VKG4LFE" wrote:

Yeah, I don't know how long, that was just a guess! 2 years is probably right because he never played for Denny Green did he. It was only Burnsie!!

Burnsie...the idiot that believed in rotating all of his players to keep them fresh...including Herschel...if I was coaching the team that had given up all that for one guy (Herschel), I guarantee you that Herschel would have been on the field (in some capacity) for every play...he would have been running back kicks and punts, blocking field goals, bringing water to the other players during timeouts, and maybe even playing linebacker or cornerback on defense...the fact remains that this had to be not only the stupidest trade ever but also the worst use of a star player in the history of the NFL. To add insult to injury, after he leaves Minnesota, he goes back to Dallas and is productive for them...probably the most frustrating time of my sports fan life!

VKG4LFE
11-12-2004, 12:51 PM
Moss has 8 Tds, only TO has more. Bettis I think has 8 rushing. I don't think anyone else has even 8. Moss has done it in virtually 4 and a half games! Best WR in football hands down! DO NOT TRADE HIM FOR ANYTHING!