PDA

View Full Version : Vikings offensive line: Right wants added might

singersp
08-03-2007, 07:04 AM
Vikings offensive line: Right wants added might (http://www.twincities.com/vikings/ci_6530979)

Four vie for starting jobs as team works to minimize disparity

BY DON SEEHOLZER
Pioneer Press
Article Last Updated: 08/03/2007 12:14:53 AM CDT

MANKATO, Minn. - If the Vikings' offensive line were a political filmmaker, it would be Michael Moore. It leans that heavily to the left....

bigbadragz
08-03-2007, 07:54 AM
good read.
it pissed me off to hear the reporter saying the vikes would be looking if someone becomes available.
there were alot more bodies available in march than there going to be now.
if they end up doing so, and that guy ends up cracking our lineup you gotta scratch your head a bit and wonder why they didn't address it earlier in free agency.
there were some solid guys out there.
the draft you could understand cuz it was a weak class of lineman and not deep, but to not sign anyone in free agency and then be an issue makes it frustrating.

Jarlvik2006
08-03-2007, 08:09 AM
It would be great to pick up someone who could fit in the scheme, but I don't know that that guy is out there.
We probably need to develope from within.
Marcus or Cook gaining valuable experience...it could be worse.
I hope one (or both) of them steps up.
Hey, it could happen...

PurpleTide
08-03-2007, 09:36 AM
Hopefully that right side is set now and will continue to improve with coaching and reps against our defense. If somebody that could help us becomes available, we have some debth at some other position's, and could maybe swing a trade.

ejmat
08-03-2007, 10:58 AM
This is just a joke so don't attack me.
Maybe we should just put big Pat on the right side and let everyone try and beat him.
He can just stand there and by the time they run around him the QB should have already thrown the ball.

Vikes_King
08-03-2007, 01:26 PM
"singersp" wrote:

Vikings offensive line: Right wants added might (http://www.twincities.com/vikings/ci_6530979)

Four vie for starting jobs as team works to minimize disparity

BY DON SEEHOLZER
Pioneer Press
Article Last Updated: 08/03/2007 12:14:53 AM CDT

MANKATO, Minn. - If the Vikings' offensive line were a political filmmaker, it would be Michael Moore. It leans that heavily to the left....

*shudders* eehh i really hope no one ever compares any vikings to michael moore again.. i hate that bastard

bigbadragz
08-03-2007, 06:27 PM
"ejmat" wrote:

Maybe we should just put big Pat on the right side and let everyone try and beat him.
He can just stand there and by the time they run around him the QB should have already thrown the ball.

well he definitely has the size.
they should just bring david dixon outta retirement.
:) it's only been two years removed and speaking of size.
that guys head was bigger than my torso.

singersp
08-03-2007, 06:38 PM
"ejmat" wrote:

It won't work. They're running around McKinnie as it is & still have time to get to the QB.

COJOMAY
08-03-2007, 06:44 PM
If it don't get "fixed" it will be along season for TJ, if he survives the whole season.

vegasvike
08-03-2007, 07:15 PM
"bigbadragz" wrote:

good read.
it pissed me off to hear the reporter saying the vikes would be looking if someone becomes available.
there were alot more bodies available in march than there going to be now.
if they end up doing so, and that guy ends up cracking our lineup you gotta scratch your head a bit and wonder why they didn't address it earlier in free agency.
there were some solid guys out there.
the draft you could understand cuz it was a weak class of lineman and not deep, but to not sign anyone in free agency and then be an issue makes it frustrating.

I'm not worried about it. The Eagles havent finished cutting players yet. Once we get the players that make it there I'm sure they will be on our roster! Then the line will be as cool as the Fonz, heeeyyyyy! ;D

jargomcfargo
08-03-2007, 09:11 PM
I find no comfort in that article.If Hicks and/or Cook suck again this year, it won't matter how good anyone else is. We will be in for another year of offensive ineptitude. And believe me when I say, I am as big of off season purple shaded optomist as there is. But a line that can't block will turn a lot of fans into realists in a hurry.
I wanted them to draft a left guard in the third round. So I would be delighted to see them pick up a veteran before the season.
I mean, isn't that how we got Hicks?
We can and need to do better.
I want to win.
You have a chance with inexperience at a lot of positions if the line is solid.
If the line isn't solid you end up with what Culpepper faced his last year here. Misery!

singersp
08-04-2007, 12:40 AM
"jargomcfargo" wrote:

I wanted them to draft a left guard in the third round. So I would be delighted to see them pick up a veteran before the season.

We swapped our 4th round pick (109th ) for the Eagles 4th (127th) & gave them our 6th round for Hicks in last years draft.

With the 127th selection we took Ray Edwards, which so far appears the best part of that trade.

jargomcfargo
08-04-2007, 01:10 PM
"singersp" wrote:

"jargomcfargo" wrote:

We swapped our 4th round pick (109th ) for the Eagles 4th (127th) & gave them our 6th round for Hicks in last years draft.

With the 127th selection we took Ray Edwards, which so far appears the best part of that trade.

Thanks Singer. I couldn't remember the details and was obviously to lazy to look them up.
I'm thinking Edwards is by far the best part of that deal.

During the 2006 draft the Eagles traded the 4th and 6th round

selections acquired from the Vikings (#115 and #185 overall) to

the Packers for their 4th round selection (#109 overall)
With the 109th pick they took wide receiver Jason Avant from Michigan.

The following players were taken between Avant and Edwards.
110 Cleveland Leon Williams ILB Miami
111 Baltimore Demetrius Williams WR Oregon
112 Cleveland Isaac Sowells G Indiana
113 St. Louis Victor Adeyanju DE Indiana
114 Miami Joe Toledo T Washington
115 Green Bay Will Blackmon CB Boston College
116 Tennessee Stephen Tulloch MLB North Carolina State
117 N.Y. Jets Leon Washington RB Florida State
118 New England Stephen Gostkowski K Memphis
119 Denver Brandon Marshall WR Central Florida
120 Chicago Jamar Williams MLB Arizona State
121 Carolina Nate Salley DB Ohio State
122 Tampa Bay Alan Zemaitis CB Penn State
123 Cincinnati Domata Peko DT Michigan State
124 N.Y. Giants Barry Cofield NT Northwestern
125 Dallas Skyler Green WR Louisiana State
126 Denver Elvis Dumervil DE Louisville

I'm happy with Edwards.

NordicNed
08-04-2007, 03:48 PM
Elvis Dumervil DE Louisville

I wonder if this kid is really smart?

jargomcfargo
08-06-2007, 10:06 PM
8-6-07 Monday. Quote from KFAN
Anthony Herrera replaced Artis Hicks as the starting right guard today, and Marcus Johnson took a few reps at right tackle in place of Ryan Cook. By the end of practice, Herrera and Cook were slotted in with the first team offensive line.

Go Herrera!

V-Unit
08-06-2007, 11:54 PM
"jargomcfargo" wrote:

Anthony Herrera replaced Artis Hicks as the starting right guard today, and Marcus Johnson took a few reps at right tackle in place of Ryan Cook. By the end of practice, Herrera and Cook were slotted in with the first team offensive line.

Go Herrera!

IMO that means Hicks is sucking, as expected. Hopefully Herrera will make the most of the opportunity, because we need him to step up big. I have no faith in Hicks.

From what I understand Johnson and Cook have been back and forth throughout camp. There was a little talk of Bollinger and Jackson feeling pressure during the scrimmage, but not enough to make me worry.

bigbadragz
08-07-2007, 12:27 AM
the whole line, but especially that right side is so important to us being able to do anything on offense this year that if they can't sort it out, then i'm gonna break something.
and if detroit with their shitty offensive line gets things figured out cuz of the free agents they brought in i'm gonna really snap.

it just scares you that if they over-estimated the likelihood of these guys improving on the line, how far off base are they about their other estimations at positions that look thin, qb, wr, de?
i wish i could watch the practices just so i can judge for myself instead of listening to 8 varying opinions about the same exact practices.
damn my lack of patience

Potus2028
08-07-2007, 02:13 AM
no way..

first of all.. this article was GOOD! it talked about a part of the team that is pivatol, the line. it is the foundation that builds a successful or unsuccessful offense.

this article talked about the position battle at the right side.. and competition breeds improvment.. this was the best article i've read in a month.

it also gave me confidence that the right side knows they stunk and that they needed to improve.

we will have a strong right side next year.. this article says competition at the spot..

therefor i see vast imrpovment, with who ever they start

cogitans
08-07-2007, 04:41 AM
"jargomcfargo" wrote:

Go Herrera!

Not bad news. I'd surely like Herrera to step up his game. He is violent enough to be a good G in the NFL.

Hicks does look more like a versatile back up, that can fill in at multiple positions along the line.

singersp
08-07-2007, 06:12 AM
"bigbadragz" wrote:

the whole line, but especially that right side is so important to us being able to do anything on offense this year that if they can't sort it out, then i'm gonna break something.
and if detroit with their shitty offensive line gets things figured out cuz of the free agents they brought in i'm gonna really snap.

it just scares you that if they over-estimated the likelihood of these guys improving on the line, how far off base are they about their other estimations at positions that look thin, qb, wr, de?
i wish i could watch the practices just so i can judge for myself instead of listening to 8 varying opinions about the same exact practices.
damn my lack of patience

IMO the left side tackle is the most important, as anyone getting around McKinnie (and they often do) have a shot at the QB from his blind said. At least if they are coming from the right side, he sees them coming.

They need to use a FB more often to pick up anyone getting around McKinnie.

singersp
08-07-2007, 06:16 AM
"V" wrote:

IMO that means Hicks is sucking, as expected. Hopefully Herrera will make the most of the opportunity, because we need him to step up big. I have no faith in Hicks.

From what I understand Johnson and Cook have been back and forth throughout camp. There was a little talk of Bollinger and Jackson feeling pressure during the scrimmage, but not enough to make me worry.

Well you better hope McKinnie stays healthy. When McKinnie was out, the moved Hicks over to LT.

bigbadragz
08-07-2007, 06:53 AM
if anything in free agency they should have added veteran depth and let minicamp sort out who started.
cuz as singer just said we are pretty friggin thin if any of the big 3 go down cuz hicks is a decent option, but if he's the main option we could be deep in too some poopy.
forget about all the other problems on offense if any part of the big 3 go down we are dead, unless some undrafted free agent becomes somebody every nfl team missed on.

singersp
08-07-2007, 07:36 AM
Hicks, Herrera battling for right guard spot (http://www.startribune.com/vikings/story/1347815.html)

MANKATO - The competition between Artis Hicks and Anthony Herrera for the starting right guard position appears to be heating up.

By Judd Zulgad, Star Tribune

Last update: August 06, 2007 – 9:17 PM

ejmat
08-07-2007, 08:21 AM
The entire line is just as important as the rest.
I also have heard defenses have been able to get around McKinnie.
Even the Vikings' defense have done so in TC from what I have read.
He had a decent year last year so I hope he has improved on that.
He was a monster in college and hopefully he will live up to those expectations eventually.

V-Unit
08-07-2007, 09:19 AM
"singersp" wrote:

"V" wrote:

Well you better hope McKinnie stays healthy. When McKinnie was out, the moved Hicks over to LT.

Come one Singer, I'm this board like 5 hours a day. I know they moved Hicks over, and I was pissed when they did, as I stated in an earlier thread.

STOP TREATING ME LIKE A NOOB.

If Hicks starts at any position, that will be the weak link in our line.

Zeus
08-07-2007, 09:25 AM
"V" wrote:

He treats everyone like a NOOB.
Don't sweat it.

=Z=

cajunvike
08-07-2007, 09:40 AM
"singersp" wrote:

Hicks, Herrera battling for right guard spot (http://www.startribune.com/vikings/story/1347815.html)

MANKATO - The competition between Artis Hicks and Anthony Herrera for the starting right guard position appears to be heating up.

By Judd Zulgad, Star Tribune

Last update: August 06, 2007 – 9:17 PM

May the best man win...and the Vikings benefit from it!!!
;D

BloodyHorns82
08-07-2007, 09:47 AM
We are going to be in for a loooong damn season if the O-line can't figure it out.
If the O-line would really step it up, we could get along just fine playing with mediocre talent across the rest of the offense.

jargomcfargo
08-07-2007, 10:41 AM
"singersp" wrote:

"V" wrote:

Robison has had trouble flashing since McKinnie returned. Or is it due to injury?

Rookie Brian Robison, a fourth-round pick in April, flashed at times early in camp but hasn’t been playing at Edwards’ level of late.

singersp
08-08-2007, 06:38 AM
"V" wrote:

"singersp" wrote:

"V" wrote:

Come one Singer, I'm this board like 5 hours a day. I know they moved Hicks over, and I was pissed when they did, as I stated in an earlier thread.

How is that treating you like a Noob? I don't know everything you've read, posted or how much time you spend on here each day.

V-Unit
08-08-2007, 09:44 AM
"singersp" wrote:

"V" wrote:

"singersp" wrote:

"V" wrote:

How is that treating you like a Noob? I don't know everything you've read, posted or how much time you spend on here each day.

Well, you should.