PDA

View Full Version : Vikings are horrible

tarkenton10
11-09-2004, 11:27 AM
Sorry to say but the vikings are horrible. I have been holding my tongue because I have tried to be positive but they are no different than last year. Even when they were winning the defense was giving up huge amounts of yards and points.
If you break down the game you would see that the O line played average at best and I thought well below average. That was suppose to be one of our strong points. We can't run the football, and we have problems with our passing game when we become one dimensional.
The defense is disgusting, they are pitiful. I have never seen more open receivers then I have watching a Vikings game. On a few ocassions there wasn't a defender within ten yards. Their coverage is the worst I have seen by any team since the 90's bengals. They have no pass rush and the only person making any plays is Kevin Williams. The LBs take terrible angles and can't tackle. They looked confused in coverage and rarely is there any pressure on the QB.
The last comment is that they always look like they are outcoached. Offense or defense they look outcoached. Linehan is clueless, and only moss and Culpepper save him. How many deep passes were called last night. None that I saw. No wonder they had eight in the box, no one stretched the defense. Cottrel hasn't had a good blitz package all year. When was the last time you saw someone come clean and get a great hit on a QB. I haven't seen one all year. Every team has at leat one by this time, and usually quite a few. Look at pittsburgh, their LBs wreak havoc. Ours always get picked up, at some point you have to look at the coaching. And Tice, I have always said give a guy three years to get his system and players in place. I am starting to think he needs to go. The Vikings always make critical mistakes at critical times in the game. That goes back to practice. I have seen Tice and he seems to be a players coach and players coaches don't win championships. They are too lax on them in practice and they don't have the discipline in the game to get the job done. Stupid penalties like Johnstone is a reocurring theme. Those are penalties that go back to coaching. A very well disciplined team would be able to score on a pathetic Colts defense. The Vikings made the colts defense look like a top ten team.
Having said all of that I would like to say start looking to next year because the collapse is here!!! They will lose in GB and if they play like they did last night it will be a blowout!! They will beat Detroit at home. Then lose to the Jags,and at Chicage they will fall apart. The seahawks will show them how you are suppose to win on the road and beat them and then they will go to Detroit and lose to them. They might comeback and beat GB at home but then they go on the road and get embarrassed by losing to a horrible Washington team. That would make them 7-9 and looking up at detoit and GB and maybe the Bears!!
I know I am going to get hammered and I don't care because this team is not a team it is a group of talented individuals and they can't beat a team. I hope I am wrong but you guys that are going to hammer me remember at the end of the year to apologize and hope we get more talent and Tice learns how to prepare a team to play a game!!

snowinapril
11-09-2004, 11:49 AM
Manning had only been sacked 4 times coming into this game. We got him once and forced him from the pocket 4 times. Partially do to coverage and pressure.

I do agree that the D has been and still is a problem overall. We don't have enough consistancy. If we could get a 2-3 more punts(Defesive stops)/game, we would be alright. Enough so to win some of the games we lost this year.

This is why when people are predicting SB contenders, we don't come up. DEFENSE. It is hard to win consistantly without D. It is hard to put your faith in a team when they let others score that much.

cajunvike
11-09-2004, 12:02 PM
We are still a year away...the truth hurts, but the D needs another year together to get better...and they will because the talent IS there (probably have to add someone to replace Hovan in the draft and some more depth in the secondary) but the talent is there, just a year away from showing their true potential. I am very open to be proven wrong, but them's are the facts.

PAvikesfan
11-09-2004, 12:33 PM
well, fran tarkenton10, tell us how you really feel...

i at least agree with tice being a players coach and players coaches don't win championships....usually. i thought about that when i originally posted it after the horrible Giants game... i do know of one player coach who won a superbowl... Dick Vermeil with the Rams...
i must say...i am leaning towards Tice being fired if we don't make it to the second round of the playoffs within this season or the next.

they only lost two in a row... give em a break.. they played with some heart last night even when Cotrell and Lineham didn't give them much. our Linebackers are a young and speedy talented group... EJ is the best tackler at linebacker we have, yet Cotrell sends him out to cover or play zone... i want to see him attack the ball each play! our veteran LB's are either hurt or don't give much leadership support. however, our D line is good, well-above average... even with Hovan sleeping we have a better line than most teams.
Our CB's are decent at best... B. Williams is a hell of a hitter but lacks experience. Winfield was a great pick-up... our safeties are great, but i think the defensive scemes take them out of a lot of plays... i think it will all come together soon and all you nay-sayers will eat your words... this defense can stop teams from scoring... we were playing agains tthe 2nd best offense for crying out loud! yes, the vikes need to practice their basic tackling skills--and Cotrell needs to get his head out of his ass and start playing smashmouth defense--rush at least 5 each play, all from different directions... make the QB feel it... i want to see a late hit every once in a while to make the QB sweat... i will gladly take the penalty at the beginning of the game if the QB takes a while to get up.

all that being said, the vikes are not out... we have a rough road ahead, but the vikes can win every one of them...the vikes are good enough. watch as Onterio gets more plays and breaks one TD for 40+ against the Fudge. bench bennett, trade him to Carolina for one of their Linebackers and we will kill.

later.

SKOL
11-09-2004, 12:40 PM
Injuries have hit us big time. There comes a point where you just can't plug a second or third string player in and still expect to win. Our linebackers were the obvious problem last night..., and FUNNY that's where our injuries were.

Los was right when he said this division will be determined by injuries.

tarkenton10
11-09-2004, 01:06 PM
IF,IF,IF, IF that is all I hear. The reality is that we have injuries and we are not a good football team right now. Our D is suspect at best. Cottrel is going to coach the way he has been and that is bad news for our D. And EJ is making a lot of mistakes. Actually DT is playing better in the middle right now. I watched that Giant game and saw so many times EJ out of position (the Barber TD was a perfect example). And Linehan only knows throw it to Moss if we need a big play. He has no imagination. When was the you saw them throw deep maybe week six. Tice needs to prepare them better or he should be gone!! By the end of the year we will know if he should stay or go. The way it looks right now I have to say it is time for him to go.

VKG4LFE
11-09-2004, 01:09 PM
Attention: fans of other teams don't read anything in this thread because you will think that Viking fans are all bandwagon jumpers and only stick with the team through the good times!!

Newsflash: we are in first in the division halfway through and Moss has missed the past 3 and a half games! We'll be alright!

SKOL
11-09-2004, 01:16 PM
Whew, thanks VKG4LFE... a voice of reason.

VKG4LFE
11-09-2004, 01:17 PM
Anytime skol!

tarkenton10
11-09-2004, 01:27 PM
I never said I stopped being a Vikings fan. The comments are mde because of frustrationa dn the hope that somewhere Tice is hearing all of the criticism and trying to right the ship. Ignoring a problem or blindly saying we are going to win the super bowl dosen't make you a bigger fan. If you have cancer you don't just ignore it you do things to prevent it from killing you. We have MANY problems and no solution in sight. We still play horrible on the road, we choke during crunch time and the D gives up game winning drives time after time. So what do you want me to say we are the best team in the world and we are going to win the rest of the games and go on to the super bowl and win. Does that make you feel better.

PAvikesfan
11-09-2004, 01:39 PM
"VKG4LFE" wrote:

Attention: fans of other teams don't read anything in this thread because you will think that Viking fans are all bandwagon jumpers and only stick with the team through the good times!!

Newsflash: we are in first in the division halfway through and Moss has missed the past 3 and a half games! We'll be alright!

thanks for that, i am willing to give Tice this year and the next to get us to the 2nd round of the playoffs and i think we will do just fine this year... we really can win every game coming up...some of them will be tough but the vikes are good enough to beat any of them.

snowinapril
11-09-2004, 01:56 PM
"PAvikesfan" wrote:

"VKG4LFE" wrote:

thanks for that, i am willing to give Tice this year and the next to get us to the 2nd round of the playoffs and i think we will do just fine this year... we really can win every game coming up...some of them will be tough but the vikes are good enough to beat any of them.

True, we are good enough to beat any team left on the schedule. It comes down to actually playing the game and execution. We are not horrible, but we will have to execute better than we have the last 2 weeks or we are just as likely to lose to all the teams left on our schedule. The last 2 games we have not been as dominant on Offense and it has hurt. It has exploited our bad defense even worse because we have added numbers tn the L column.

It has hurt the confidence of the team.
It has hurt us as fans, the evidence is right here in this thread.
It has hurt our chances of winning our division.

Hopefully this will make us stronger as a team and as fans by the end of the year. Right now it is tearing our fans apart, hopefully it is not tearing our team apart.

scorptile
11-09-2004, 02:09 PM
lol dont worry viking fans over at the colts forums we have the exact same kind of guy very negitive and such...always complaining about why the colts wont be in the superbowl...i think both defenses played very well last night....but just think manning is the hardest QB to sack out of all of them...it is the colts offensive line...they are rock solid just about...i think both teams played great and i was happy to see how well the vikes played without me, me , me moss....i think bennet is an average running back but definately keep smith he is better then bennet hands down....the vikings did better then i expected in last nights game....the real test it hink is how are they going to come out and play the rest of the season having lost two in a row...this is where the leet teams seperate from the teams that collapse...and i personally think the patriots will not win another superbowl period...

JWalkRulz84
11-09-2004, 02:20 PM
i thought the vikings played a solid game and it was intriguing because when they get down, they are usually out. it was interesting to see who would step up and burleson really stole the spotlight last night. he played very well. however, this offense was not very impressive against a very porous indianapolis defense. both indy's starting safeties were injured and the vikes never really took shots down the field. the defense is going to be able to keep creeping up and thats what seemed to happen last night. i still hold my opinion that there are going to be 2 teams in the NFC North in the playoffs. both the packers and vikes are very similiar teams. however, without moss 100% healthy next week and the packers offense running on all cylinders right now, i do like our chances. this vikings team has been exposed on D the last 2 weeks. granted indy is a very very good offense, the giants are not that good offensively. the key to stopping our offense is stopping our run, and i dont believe the vikings show any signs of stopping the run...but we will see on sunday.

cajunvike
11-09-2004, 02:56 PM
Minnesota is fourth in the NFC in rushing D;
Green Bay is seventh in the NFC in rushing D.

Looks like you guys are worse than us, and we have more fresh RBs to run at you than you do to run at us...doesn't look like you can stop anybody either!

VikingsTw
11-09-2004, 03:37 PM
If we are fourth in rushing D then i'm lossing it because the only game we have stopped it was the Texans game, that was it.

I'm loosing alot of confidence in our teams ability to beat good teams on the road, Finish games off, stop the opposing offense, makes tackles. Those are things we are not doing.

I'm starting to get into that relaxed mode like "f*ck it we have nothing to loose, blitz, throw bombs whatever just do anything to win" I wouldnt exactly go out and say what tark has said but the guy is right to an extent. I dont really see us turning it around on defense this year. The years half way over and the defensive improvement has been minimal. I'm not even goin to blame injuries as our problem. Claiborne sucks hands down, Raonall is the only guy i wished was playing last night, he was the only one hurt. We are very healthy on DEFENSE, Irvin isn't goin to save our a$$.

Colts fan dont even get us started on ME ME ME Moss. If you want to talk me lets talk about TO and the origanal MESHAWN. It looks to me you guys could be brewing up your own MESTER in reggie wayne!

PurpleReign
11-09-2004, 03:41 PM
This is about as good as I have felt about our team coming off a loss. When it was 14-0, I thought "Well...here we go again."

They really showed me something, being able to come back and met the challenge after getting almost knocked out in the first quarter.

There was a lot of negatives in this game to complain about, but I'm proud of them to be able to fight back without a lot of weapons at their disposal.

Nate and Onterrio were GIANT.

Other than the time management at the end of the 1st half, my biggest concerns were the complete and total non-factor of our linebacking core and with about 3:00 left in the 2nd quarter, Daunte was 1-2 for 6 yards.[/

VikingsTw
11-09-2004, 03:49 PM
OH yeah, i agree, i wasnt even pissed last night like i was the iggles game or the giants game, it was quite odd for me usually i'm pretty heated but i was calm and the loss didnt bug me, BUT the missed tackles and no cluch defense is something that has been adding up over the past few weeks and that kind of stuff kills my confidence in this team.

Kick returns, Nate, decent pass pressure by the d line all game, Onterrio, Daunte got is grove but it took 2 quarters before he got goin, and specail teams coverage was all solid, oh and wiggy. We still have potentail to beat anyone on our schedule. I'm ready to whip some packer ass though. I dont fear favre anymore, i used to but his decision making has gave me comfort. He will make stupid mistakes and if we can make him pay for it we will win.

CanuckVike
11-09-2004, 03:51 PM
Hey there Tark10, I think I know how you feel about the frustration and all that...it comes with the territory of being a devout Vike fan. You always want or envision your team as the one that should be the best! But we are not horrible!! Right now, there are 19 teams that have a worse record than ours...only 7 teams have a better one. Yeah we aren't perfect, but no team is. If you have the NFL ticket, do yourself a favour and try to watch the other teams play when the Vikes aren't on...and don't just absorb the hi-lite plays. Lots of teams screw up regulary, either on Offense or Defense. Look at the Cowboys this year and recent years, Atlanta, New Orleans, Cincinnati...they all have potential but are struggling much worse than we are. I've been behind the Vikes for over 40 years now and have gone through all the big division wins in the 70's only to be heartbroken in the 4 super bowls, when we had one of the best coaches ever in Bud Grant. Over the last 5 years or so, I've been chomping at the bit about the Vikes because they have so much potential, but we have still screwed up. I've also been on Culpepper's case 'cause I couldn't stand the fumbles and bad int's....but last night he at least DID NOT MELTDOWN, we got some BIG TIME step up play by others, like Burleson and O.Smith. Yes, the D should be better. If it were we would be number 1. But we are not horrible...we are in the upper 25% of the NFL, striving to be better. There's still a half season to go and chance to get better and even get hot.
So be a fan, take perspective and CHILL OUT a bit!

Cheers!

snowinapril
11-09-2004, 04:07 PM
"PurpleReign" wrote:

This is about as good as I have felt about our team coming off a loss. When it was 14-0, I thought "Well...here we go again."

They really showed me something, being able to come back and met the challenge after getting almost knocked out in the first quarter.

There was a lot of negatives in this game to complain about, but I'm proud of them to be able to fight back without a lot of weapons at their disposal.

Other than the time management at the end of the 1st half, my biggest concerns were the complete and total non-factor of our linebacking core and with about 3:00 left in the 2nd quarter, Daunte was 1-2 for 6 yards.[/

Yeah, I wasn't pissed about the outcome, mainly because the first half, made me feel like it was going to be worse than the final score actually was.

In the first half, I was lulled to sleep by our lack of everything. When the half ended, I couldn't believe it was halftime.

Good News:

5-3 is half way to 10-6 which is good enough to win the division. It doesn't mean we are limited to only 10-6. I would like to see 11-5.

10-6 would be good, this was my realistic number at the beginning of the season considering the strength of schedule.
11-5 would be great.
12-4 would be Awesome and would be above my expectation at the beginning of the season.

Honestly who thought we would finish better than 10-6 "before the season started."

We need to start next week by playing better football and get the win. This Lamboo Field game wasn't one of the wins I had marked on the schedule. Next week is not the end all be all of the season but it will sure help our cause in a possible tie breaker at the end of the season and keep us out of a possible 3 way tie for the division lead at the end of next week.

JWalkRulz84
11-09-2004, 04:57 PM
Green Bay also had a bye week there champ...I'd say we have some pretty healthy running backs...
Also remember we just got big Grady Jackson back. In the Vikings last 3 games they have averaged giving up 122 rushing yard per game. Since the Packers got Grady Jackson back, they are only giving up about 62 yards on the ground. So, A) I wouldn't say you have fresher backs than we do, we had 2 weeks off. Don't worry, they'll be fresh. B) Grady Jackson is a big part of our D. Dont even think you're gonna come and run all over us.

lifelongvike
11-09-2004, 05:11 PM
How can you feel good about a game like that. We did loose the game because they gave up, primarily in the last two minutes of the 1st half.

If it wasn't for the punt return this thing would have been a blowout.

Anybody remember last year? 6-0 did not go on to win the division or make the playoffs and that is where we will end again this year.

I agree with Red, sell them to someone in LA and either give up or start over.

We will do well to stay within 21 of Green Bay next week.

rjkvikings
11-09-2004, 05:46 PM
"JWalkRulz84" wrote:

Green Bay also had a bye week there champ...I'd say we have some pretty healthy running backs...
Also remember we just got big Grady Jackson back. In the Vikings last 3 games they have averaged giving up 122 rushing yard per game. Since the Packers got Grady Jackson back, they are only giving up about 62 yards on the ground. So, A) I wouldn't say you have fresher backs than we do, we had 2 weeks off. Don't worry, they'll be fresh. B) Grady Jackson is a big part of our D. Dont even think you're gonna come and run all over us.

And what Tice would say to this is, "I was an offensive line coach. We will run the ball, and we will run it well." or at least something to that extent.

VikingsTw
11-09-2004, 06:42 PM
We will run on the packers and we will run right at fat as Grady, that fool can't save your team.

You guys played freakin dallas, they dont even run, you played the washington redskin who practicly can't run the ball. That offense is not for Portis he gets no blocking. 62 yards isnt very much but you and big grady will get your oportunity to stop O Smith to 62 yards, i highly doubt you will contain him.

PurpleReign
11-09-2004, 07:23 PM
How can you feel good about a game like that. We did loose the game because they gave up, primarily in the last two minutes of the 1st half.

They gave up? What qualify's you to make such a judgement like that?

Well, if johnstone hadn't hit Manning late, they aren't in field goal position. There's a lot of "what if's" on both sides. The punt return happened, so fucking deal with it.

Anybody remember last year? 6-0 did not go on to win the division or make the playoffs and that is where we will end again this year

Wanna bet?

Why don't you just do us a favor and go to L.A. yourself? Or hell...which ever is easier for you.

Yes...the mighty Packers...who are 1-3 at home, won vs Washington only due to a late penalty, did worse vs Indy and Tennessee. :roll:

cajunvike
11-09-2004, 08:05 PM
"JWalkRulz84" wrote:

Yeah, I will just bet that Najeh has something FRESH for us...and as for Grady, we will just run away from his side and his fat ass won't be able to get into position to do anything. After seeing Onterrio run last night, I will predict that he will have a monster game! He was juking and spinning and breaking tackles and running like a man possessed...he will do more of the same this Sunday...he would have had well over 100 yards if he didn't have to share the ball with Bennett. Hell, both backs might have over 100 next Sunday...if the O-Line wants to rise to the challenge of rolling over you guys.

CT Viking Man
11-09-2004, 08:33 PM
While I agree in trying to establish the run Tice should not be announcing it to the world days before kickoff. You might as well radio in the plays directly to the Colts D. When asked by the media what the approach to the game would be without Moss, Tice can't announce that the Vikes are now a running team. Come out and say that nothing is going to change! You got what many in the press are calling the MVP quarterback and while the receivers are not Mosses, between the three you have three different types of receivers to make plays happen. The Vikes saw what the Chiefs did to the Colts D with one good tight end and mediocre receivers. There is no reason the Vikings could not do the same.

I said it last year after the Vikes could not put away the Bears to clinch a playoff spot that this conservative approach and not taking shots down the field employed by Linehan is ridiculous. You know where the Colts winkest link is. ATTACK! ATTACK! ATTACK!

Then when the 2nd quarter was winding down. Take a time out, take a shot in the end zone, if it does not work then kick a field goal. I was at the game last night and was screaming that we are not going to beat the Colts by kicking field goals. The Colts fans next to me seemed to agree. While the Vikes were able to still make it a game, this bonehead decision is another that leads to another L.

As for Tice, I was a supportor even through all of last year and up to a couple of games ago. But through the last two games, the decisions he is making are horrible. Even if he gets us to the playoffs, he needs to make decisions that build upon and are driven by the Vikings strengths and what has got them the 5 wins so far this season. If this can't be done it is time to go.

JWalkRulz84
11-09-2004, 08:49 PM
CajunVike are you that proud of your running attack? You were juking and breaking tackles against a defense that would give up 30 to a pop warner football team. Our D-Line is a lot better with Grady. Go ahead and run away from Jackson, see where that leads you. Bennett and Onterrio running for 100 each? I'd be willing to bet millions that it doesnt happen. Your bragging about your great running attack in a loss...good job. How about the fact that you couldn't stop the run if your life depended on it? Put 8 in the box and our receivers will straight up school your D-Backs. You have no one who can guard Walker one on one. Keep talking up your defense...We'll see what happens on Sunday and if you'll be talking then. And don't even talk about Davenport doing stupid stuff, half your team was in jail this summer. Give me a break.

snowinapril
11-10-2004, 01:39 AM
No, I could see it. We can run on the pack-asses. Maybe we won't have 2 - 100 yd rushers but we will have more total rushing yards.

Our defensive sceme will be different against the pack-asses. We will play your rcvr with single coverage and put pressure on Favre. Make Favre beat us or beat himself. We get two picks in this game also.

I know it is so, Onterio told me so while we were taking hits off his bong. All this was happening while we were driving to the jail to break out our homies so we could play the pack this week.

lifelongvike
11-10-2004, 09:32 AM
"PurpleReign" wrote:

[quote]How can you feel good about a game like that. We did loose the game because they gave up, primarily in the last two minutes of the 1st half.

They gave up? What qualify's you to make such a judgement like that?

Age and experience primarily. Having rooted for the Vikings since their first season, playing and coaching football. There are only two reasons that you only get off 5 plays in the last 1:53 of a half in the NFL. Either you are stupid or you lack urgency and I do not think they are stupid.

It brings me no joy but if they played the end of the 1st half with urgency and managed the clock to score a touchdown rather than set up for the field goal we have 4 more points and win by 1 the way the game turns out.

Thanks for asking.

lifelongvike
11-10-2004, 09:41 AM

Well, if johnstone hadn't hit Manning late, they aren't in field goal position. There's a lot of "what if's" on both sides. The punt return happened, so fucking deal with it.

I agree that the Johnstone hit made it easier for them to get in field goal position but the way they were moving the ball I think that would have happened anyway. Prior to the punt return we were inept at best and without it they would have been running out the clock rather than needing to score again. The punt return gave us momentum and seemed to pick the entire team up which I think got us back in the game.

cajunvike
11-10-2004, 09:49 AM
"JWalkRulz84" wrote:

CajunVike are you that proud of your running attack? You were juking and breaking tackles against a defense that would give up 30 to a pop warner football team. Our D-Line is a lot better with Grady. Go ahead and run away from Jackson, see where that leads you. Bennett and Onterrio running for 100 each? I'd be willing to bet millions that it doesnt happen. Your bragging about your great running attack in a loss...good job. How about the fact that you couldn't stop the run if your life depended on it? Put 8 in the box and our receivers will straight up school your D-Backs. You have no one who can guard Walker one on one. Keep talking up your defense...We'll see what happens on Sunday and if you'll be talking then. And don't even talk about Davenport doing stupid stuff, half your team was in jail this summer. Give me a break.

Yes, I am proud of our running attack...I think that Onterrio looked especially good on Monday night. The Indy D was geared to stop the run and the Vikes still ran well on them. As far as bragging about something in a LOSS, it doesn't matter if it is a win or a loss, if a particular phase of the game is improved then I am gonna note it and point toward it as an area that we need to utilize more in the future. As far as stopping the run on you guys, our run defense is ranked higher than yours, so we have proven that we can get it done without putting 8 in the box. Walker is pretty good, but overrated for now (he just looks good compared to someone like Driver). As far as talking, nothing you can say is going to stop me from saying anything. Finally, I never said that Najeh did stupid stuff, I said that he does stupid SH*T. :bootyshake:

JWalkRulz84
11-10-2004, 10:27 AM
You must not watch very many Packer games simply because you would know that much of Driver's success this year has come from Walker. Driver did not have very much success until the end of last season when Walker emerged as the go to threat. And noting that you utilized the run against Indy and they couldn't stop you isn't anything to be proud of. If you put one on one coverage with your below average secondary against our receivers, you will get burned. Also, we give up 6 more yards per game on the ground than you. Congrats on that achievement. I know that Onterrio is a good running back and I definitely believe that, but if you think your defense is going to come in and just stuff us out, you're gonna be in for a long day.

lifelongvike
11-10-2004, 10:28 AM
Anybody remember last year? 6-0 did not go on to win the division or make the playoffs and that is where we will end again this year

Wanna bet?

Yes

Why don't you just do us a favor and go to L.A. yourself? Or hell...which ever is easier for you.

I go to LA once a month for business and that is plenty enough for me. As far as hell is concerned I have taken care of that not being a possibility.

Seriously, after getting into fights at school after super bowl losses, getting tickets to the super bowl in 1999, only to have to watch Atlanta get beat by Denver, etc. I am ready to throw in the towel after a pitifully played game like they had on Monday night.

Yes...the mighty Packers...who are 1-3 at home, won vs Washington only due to a late penalty, did worse vs Indy and Tennessee. :roll: [/quote]

They might not be the mighty Packers of old but there trend line is a lot better than the Vikes at the moment and we have a history of finding ways to loose in Green Bay. The way we have tackled (not) the last two weeks I am anticipating a long afternoon. I would love to be wrong but am tired of being disappointed.

triedandtruevikesfan
11-10-2004, 10:33 AM
Seriously the negativity here SUCKS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Am I more optimistic then I should be? Maybe, but isn't this site called PURPLE PRIDE? I understood all the negative talk when we lost to the Giants... they aren't a great team, but we have that stupid complex with them. However, being beaten by Indy isn't that big of a deal really. They are an excellent team that I hate to say it has a better offense then even us. I went into this season knowing that we weren't going to be undefeated. I for one am sick of all this talk!!!! GREEN BAY guys... come on we shouldn't be admitting defeat to them before the game is played... we should all be pumped up as all hell looking for the great game we all know this is gonna be!!!!!

tarkenton10
11-10-2004, 10:43 AM
The statements about me being negative are false. Look through all my posts and tell me how many posts are negative - I'll tell you none!! This is the first negative post I have written. And It is not negative. Our offense looked average against one of the worst defenses in the league. The defense looked pitiful against a very good offense but they also looked pitiful against an average offense - the Giant. I f you breakdown the weaknesses of our team we are terrible. We can't tackle, we can't run, even with a supposedly good O-line. We have trouble with reading defenses - 62 yards passing against the Colts horrendous D. Terrible decison making by the three coaches HC, OC, DC. Our LBs out of position on many plays. The coverage disappearing on crucial plays. The D giving up game winning drives almost weekly. I could go on, but the fact is that we are not going to make the playoffs the way this team is playing and how Tice turns it around is going to be fun to see. He couldn't turn it around last year and we went down in flames. It looks like deja vue all over again!

triedandtruevikesfan
11-10-2004, 10:46 AM
Talk to me about deja vu ONLY if we don't make it to the playoffs... there are still 7 more games of the season left... don't throw in the towel yet!

lifelongvike
11-10-2004, 10:52 AM
I hope you are right!

triedandtruevikesfan
11-10-2004, 10:54 AM
hehe... you'll soon learn that I'm never wrong :wink:

lifelongvike
11-10-2004, 10:59 AM
OK. Let's check back on Sunday night.

triedandtruevikesfan
11-10-2004, 11:04 AM
hehe lets not do that... all you have to do is look at my picks last week to know I'm wrong a lot grrrrr...

However... I do have a lot of faith... which will probably lead to yet another heartbreak for me... but I have to believe that it won't! I'm not calling for the superbowl yet... I don't think our D is good enough yet. They still need to gel. We will however win the division and make the playoffs... which is a big step above last year!

tarkenton10
11-10-2004, 11:20 AM
TNT - I defintely hope you are right and I am very wrong. But I have watched a lot of football, played a lot of football and coached a lot of football. And from what I have seen from this team they are in deep trouble. And I am not trying to be negative like I said before this is my first negative post. But they are going to GB and it doesn't look good. Then they have the Lions - a game they can win. But At Chicago and then Sea. and at Det. Looks like quite a few losses. They may beat GB at home butthen they hav eto go to Wash. And even though Wash. is not bery good on the road I would have to say th eVikes would an underdog in my book. At least the way they are playing RIGHT NOW!!

tarkenton10
11-10-2004, 11:22 AM
that last post looks like I meant Wash. is on the road, I meant the vikes would be on the road and an underdog in my book.

snowinapril
11-10-2004, 11:48 AM
"lifelongvike" wrote:

Anybody remember last year? 6-0 did not go on to win the division or make the playoffs and that is where we will end again this year.

Please remember, it is not about feeling good about one or two games, it is about the season.

Hopefully our players will look at this game and take some positives from it and realize they made mistakes that they have to correct.

THE KEY TO REHABILITATION IS TO BUILD ON THE POSITIVE. IT ISN'T TRUELY A POSITIVE UNTIL THE POSITIVE IS REPEATED. Doing something positive once is considered an accident until repeated.

icemncometh
11-10-2004, 05:02 PM
:shock:
I have been a viking fan good and bad since 1975 and I guess you just kinda get numb to them screwing stuff up. Every year you think to yourself this is it they are finally gonna make it and every year same crap start off hot then fall off the face of the earth. It is not that I will stop being a Viking fan. I already have tickets for the game against the Deadskins in January. I just do not understand how some people can act like wow this never happens it happens all the time year after year. Just my 2 cents which is worth about nothing.

VKG4LFE
11-10-2004, 05:12 PM
"JWalkRulz84" wrote:

Grady Jackson is not scaring us whatsoever! We'll still be able to run on you guys. Who have you guys played with him back? Washington with their terrible offensive line (Portis is good, but he can't do it without an o-line), the Lions, give me a break. Our running games are much better than theirs. If you hold us to 62 yards, I'll buy you lunch!

CT Viking Man
11-10-2004, 06:04 PM
I don't feel like its the team and the players that are lacking. They may not be a Super Bowl team this year but they should be able to win the division and at least a first round playoff game. I think the problem is the approach to using the assets that are available. We may not have that good a team to beat the top tier teams in the league but there no reason why the Vikes can't win 5 of the remaining 8. A win this weekend will do wonders as it will stop all the "will the Vikings have another 2nd half flop" talk? Plus once Moss is 100% I think he will be on a vengeance and the team will click once again.

JWalkRulz84
11-10-2004, 10:03 PM
im not saying that we are gonna stop you guys to 62 yards rushing, however its gonna be tough to run the ball when we are passing all over your 29th ranked pass defense. favre will probly throw for 3 tds and walker will have over 100 yds receiving. for all you guys who think walker is overrated, you are gonna get a first hand look at one of the biggest up and coming receivers in the nfl. when you're down by 2 scores early, its tough to run the ball. as you guys cant score in the first quarter and the packers in the last 3 games have scored at will in their first 6 possessions of the game. so, we'll see.

cajunvike
11-10-2004, 10:18 PM
"tarkenton10" wrote:

that last post looks like I meant Wash. is on the road, I meant the vikes would be on the road and an underdog in my book.

I got it (as I am going to be at that game)...and I am hoping that I will be watching a tune-up for the playoffs (as well as a win by the Vikings so that I can walk out of the stadium with my head held high)...I will be wearing Viking gear and I don't wanna have to hear any sh*t from the Redskins fans.

VikingsTw
11-11-2004, 12:06 AM
icemncometh said:
I have been a viking fan good and bad since 1975 and I guess you just kinda get numb to them screwing stuff up. Every year you think to yourself this is it they are finally gonna make it and every year same crap start off hot then fall off the face of the earth. It is not that I will stop being a Viking fan. I already have tickets for the game against the Deadskins in January. I just do not understand how some people can act like wow this never happens it happens all the time year after year. Just my 2 cents which is worth about nothing.

Yeah me to, i'm young but hell its just another viking season. You get used to chocking after awhile but all records (chocking) are ment to be broke. Someday this team will break that and show the world they are champions. You just gotta keep faith. I'm usually pretty negative the day we loose and the day after we loose then its a new week, it's the great thing about football, one week can be so different than the week before. I'm pumped and i'm not gonna dwell on last week's loss.

So lets beat the sh*t out of the SLACKERS! It's packer week guys, it's a great weak! :salute:

Kleinsasser40
11-11-2004, 12:12 AM
I only read the first post of this so slap me if someone has already said this. I dont know if you noticed, but we were only 3 points away from beating one of the most potent offenses in the league without Randy Moss. We limited them to only 31 points. Against the colts that is quite a accomplishment!

tarkenton10
11-11-2004, 04:40 PM
Did you just realize what you said "we limited them to 31 POINTS!!" How many did you think they were going to score? And we didn't limit the Giants to 31 points they handed us our A$$E$! You can debate this all you want but the fact is the Vikings are not playing good football. They have to show a lot more before I will change my mind. And I have been pretty accurate with this team. I have guessed within one game the last two years. This year I predicted 8-8 and I still think I am right. And last year I predicted they would be 8-8. when they were 6-0 one of my buddies asked me if I wanted to change my guess I said no. The Vikings need some originaltiy by the OC and DC if they are going to win more than eight games.

lifelongvike
11-13-2004, 11:10 AM
Sounds like there will be a bunch of us at the 1/2/05 game. 5 of us will be there in section 306 and tailgating in the orange parking lot. Hope to cross paths with a bunch of folks in purple and gold!

purplehorn
11-13-2004, 12:33 PM
"tarkenton10" wrote:

Sorry to say but the vikings are horrible. !!

Hell ya being in first place really sucks I guess we should just
get ready for next year. :roll:

DemonicViking
11-13-2004, 03:06 PM
Well, the Packers may have an advantage coming off a bye week.. but then again they might be rusty after a week's rest. Perfect time for Minnesota to snap this two game slide.

purplehorn
11-13-2004, 03:22 PM
Welcome DV and this is a freakin lock

Vikes 35
Pack 14

DemonicViking
11-13-2004, 03:33 PM
Thanks man.

I had predicted elsewhere that the Vikings would take it 27-24 winning with a last second fieldgoal, but 35-14 sounds a helluva lot better. :headbang:

lifelongvike
11-14-2004, 08:48 AM
"purplehorn" wrote:

Welcome DV and this is a freakin lock

Vikes 35
Pack 14

I hope you are right but I am worried it my be the right score with the wrong team on top unless we can control the ball and put some pressure on Farve.

lifelongvike
11-14-2004, 11:59 PM
"purplehorn" wrote:

"tarkenton10" wrote:

Sorry to say but the vikings are horrible. !!

Hell ya being in first place really sucks I guess we should just
get ready for next year. :roll:

It is starting to look that way.

lifelongvike
11-15-2004, 12:01 AM
"triedandtruevikesfan" wrote:

Talk to me about deja vu ONLY if we don't make it to the playoffs... there are still 7 more games of the season left... don't throw in the towel yet!

How about now?

lifelongvike
11-15-2004, 12:05 AM
"PurpleReign" wrote:

So have you found a way to feel good about today's loss?

VikingsTw
11-15-2004, 12:40 AM
Dont be a hater lifelong. We could win five in a row and the door could come back and hit u right in the ass.

purplehorn
11-15-2004, 08:46 AM
Still in first place easy schedule ahead
12-4 is still very possible. I don't think you
throw in the towel just yet.

tarkenton10
11-15-2004, 09:13 AM
All you guys quoting me - did you quote me when I said that the D almost weekly gives up a game winning drive. Does that sound familiar. Did you see the GB game? Things that make you go HMMMMMMMMMMMM! 34 points again, that is not a super bowl defense. We will win against the lions but I think you guys are gonna realize I was right about this post!! And thinking postive is not going to change one play on the field. I have thought postive bout a few Vikings teams. But this one is not playing well and will not finish well. They are not good on the road and have some tough games on the road. 8-8 or 7-9 is still my prediction.

lifelongvike
11-15-2004, 01:23 PM
Maybe 9-7 but I think it is 8-8.

purplehorn
11-15-2004, 01:36 PM
Y'all can go to the Packer board NO WAY
the Vikes finish under 11-5.

Your pessimistic attitude sucks!!

tarkenton10
11-15-2004, 02:19 PM
purplehorn - I am Vikings fan why would I want to go to a packer site. And just because I can unbiasedly view the Vikings, don't hang a label on me. If you want to look through rose colored glasses that is fine. But look at the last three games. LOgically!!! They can't stop the run, or anything for that matter on D. They have given up two last minute drives in two games. Exactly what I said in this post. How am I being negative!!?!?! I predicted exactly what happened. If anyone is unrealistic it is you!! You think we are going to go 11-5, I hope so. But I know you are wrong!! So Remember this site because I have already proven several people wrong on this site so remember to write at the end of the season and tell me I was right.

purplehorn
11-15-2004, 02:51 PM
"tarkenton10" wrote:

- . But I know you are wrong!! .

No you don't. As far as I'm concerned we beat the pack. That call
goes our way we win. How the hell do you know we won't be 11-5
your crystal ball? You mark my words we are better than you give
credit for and my glasses are not rose colored they are Purple-
shows how little you do know. :colors:

out

XTAP59
11-15-2004, 03:28 PM
"tarkenton10" wrote:

Sorry to say but the vikings are horrible. I have been holding my tongue because I have tried to be positive but they are no different than last year. Even when they were winning the defense was giving up huge amounts of yards and points.
If you break down the game you would see that the O line played average at best and I thought well below average. That was suppose to be one of our strong points. We can't run the football, and we have problems with our passing game when we become one dimensional.
The defense is disgusting, they are pitiful. I have never seen more open receivers then I have watching a Vikings game. On a few ocassions there wasn't a defender within ten yards. Their coverage is the worst I have seen by any team since the 90's bengals. They have no pass rush and the only person making any plays is Kevin Williams. The LBs take terrible angles and can't tackle. They looked confused in coverage and rarely is there any pressure on the QB.
The last comment is that they always look like they are outcoached. Offense or defense they look outcoached. Linehan is clueless, and only moss and Culpepper save him. How many deep passes were called last night. None that I saw. No wonder they had eight in the box, no one stretched the defense. Cottrel hasn't had a good blitz package all year. When was the last time you saw someone come clean and get a great hit on a QB. I haven't seen one all year. Every team has at leat one by this time, and usually quite a few. Look at pittsburgh, their LBs wreak havoc. Ours always get picked up, at some point you have to look at the coaching. And Tice, I have always said give a guy three years to get his system and players in place. I am starting to think he needs to go. The Vikings always make critical mistakes at critical times in the game. That goes back to practice. I have seen Tice and he seems to be a players coach and players coaches don't win championships. They are too lax on them in practice and they don't have the discipline in the game to get the job done. Stupid penalties like Johnstone is a reocurring theme. Those are penalties that go back to coaching. A very well disciplined team would be able to score on a pathetic Colts defense. The Vikings made the colts defense look like a top ten team.
Having said all of that I would like to say start looking to next year because the collapse is here!!! They will lose in GB and if they play like they did last night it will be a blowout!! They will beat Detroit at home. Then lose to the Jags,and at Chicage they will fall apart. The seahawks will show them how you are suppose to win on the road and beat them and then they will go to Detroit and lose to them. They might comeback and beat GB at home but then they go on the road and get embarrassed by losing to a horrible Washington team. That would make them 7-9 and looking up at detoit and GB and maybe the Bears!!
I know I am going to get hammered and I don't care because this team is not a team it is a group of talented individuals and they can't beat a team. I hope I am wrong but you guys that are going to hammer me remember at the end of the year to apologize and hope we get more talent and Tice learns how to prepare a team to play a game!!

Agreed. Tice gets outcoached and he needs to go.
Face it, the only reason, and I mean only reason he is our hC is because Red can pay him peanuts and get away with it.

tarkenton10
11-16-2004, 12:18 PM
purplehorn - I was right the last two weeks did you think the Vikings were going to win. Then that makes you wrong the last two weeks. I think they will win this week and lose next week. I could be wrong with the Jags game but we'll see. And purplehorn make sure you are here at the end of the year to comment on the Viking record. I'll be here!!

lifelongvike
11-16-2004, 12:33 PM
"purplehorn" wrote:

"tarkenton10" wrote:

- . But I know you are wrong!! .

No you don't. As far as I'm concerned we beat the pack. That call
goes our way we win. How the hell do you know we won't be 11-5
your crystal ball? You mark my words we are better than you give
credit for and my glasses are not rose colored they are Purple-
shows how little you do know. :colors:

out

Purplehorn, too much time riding without a helmet. tark10 is right on here. You need to understand that I would love for us to end up at 11-5 but I am confident it will not happen. We needed to win at either Indy or GB to chart a course for the playoffs and not having done either it is unlikely we will get to go. Makes me mad but it is reality.

tarkenton10
11-16-2004, 12:58 PM
Thank you lifelong. I would love to say we will go undefeated and win the super bowl. Who wouldn't!!!?!? But the facts don't play out that way. I am glad someone else can see what I have been saying for two weeks now.

TheAnimal93
11-16-2004, 02:11 PM
"tarkenton10" wrote:

purplehorn - I am Vikings fan why would I want to go to a packer site. And just because I can unbiasedly view the Vikings, don't hang a label on me. If you want to look through rose colored glasses that is fine. But look at the last three games. LOgically!!! They can't stop the run, or anything for that matter on D. They have given up two last minute drives in two games. Exactly what I said in this post. How am I being negative!!?!?! I predicted exactly what happened. If anyone is unrealistic it is you!! You think we are going to go 11-5, I hope so. But I know you are wrong!! So Remember this site because I have already proven several people wrong on this site so remember to write at the end of the season and tell me I was right.

tark10.......are you the new and amazing Krestkin? pull a rabbit out of you hat? why be so right? 9-7.....8-8. how dare you? last time i looked everybody in the league is giving up huge chunks to gb and indy. and the gmen have had the vikes number for a couple of years now. look at the parody. remember in the niners heyday, it was always a couple of teams that had a good record and the rest mediocre. over the years they have come down to the rest of the pack, along with cowblows, and the bills. i agree this stinks and that stinks, but there has been a lot of the "I" word on D and they are very young on that side of the ball also. special teams is what needs to ripped on the most. and dont forget the D looked pretty good at home against tenn. even though they are in a bit of a lull. GO VIKES and dont be so negative....have fun pulling for your VIKES!!!!!! only the will you find Zen!!!!

.........AND PURPLEHORN.....i love the toilet joke.

Vikes
11-16-2004, 03:18 PM
"XTAP59" wrote:

"tarkenton10" wrote:

Agreed. Tice gets outcoached and he needs to go.
Face it, the only reason, and I mean only reason he is our hC is because Red can pay him peanuts and get away with it.

Thats what I have been saying for months. You get what you pay for!

vwo32
11-16-2004, 03:43 PM
Don't be so quick to count out these Vikes. During last years slide we were losing by double digets to the worst teams in the league. This year we have lost to two very good teams on the last play of the game, when we were playing without Moss. Not to mention we would have beaten the Pack if it wasn't for several screw jobs and the difference in the Colts game was the TD Manning threw with no time on the play clock. Just because the Vikes lost on the last play of the game twice, on the road, without our best player, and getting screwed by the refs doesn't mean we are a shitty team. If we go 7-9 I will apologize to you tarkenton 10, but if we go 10-6 or better then I want you to get on here and apologize to everyone.

purplehorn
11-16-2004, 03:52 PM
"tarkenton10" wrote:

. And purplehorn make sure you are here at the end of the year to comment on the Viking record. I'll be here!!

I was here last year and will be here next year for sure long enough
to say I told ya so!! HAHA I will remain the optimist for sure.
I thought our boys battled back on the road for two weeks and
I honestly don't think anybody remaining on the schedule can beat us
with out help from the officials. And being we don't play in Green bay
any more should be NO PROBLEM!!

OUT

purplehorn
11-16-2004, 03:56 PM
"lifelongvike" wrote:

"purplehorn" wrote:

"tarkenton10" wrote:

- . .

Purplehorn, too much time riding without a helmet. tark10 is right on here. You need to understand that I would love for us to end up at 11-5 but I am confident it will not happen. We needed to win at either Indy or GB to chart a course for the playoffs and not having done either it is unlikely we will get to go. Makes me mad but it is reality.

Because we lost two games by 6 points total? We are doomed?
Your pesimistic attitude sucks. (In case you didn't realize that).

snowinapril
11-16-2004, 04:01 PM
Stick to your guns PurpleHorn

I am right behind you.

10-6 or better.

lifelongvike
11-16-2004, 04:20 PM
"snowinapril" wrote:

Stick to your guns PurpleHorn

I am right behind you.

10-6 or better.

Who do you think they will loose to?

triedandtruevikesfan
11-16-2004, 04:30 PM
no way... 12-4!!! We're done losing for the season... we're gonna win our way all the way to the superbowl!!!

snowinapril
11-16-2004, 04:50 PM
I would like to think that they would win all but I am not that optimistic.

We will win the last 2, the Pack and Wash.

I am worried about Chicago at home. I know they are lowly but it is a division rival outdoors. WE STILL HAVE NOT WON A GAME OUTDOORS THIS SEASON.

I am also worried about the Lions(in Detroit) and the Seahawks. The Seadogs may be on a slide also but they like us will get their swagger back.

We don't play any top tier teams.

We do play 3 teams that are our equal GB, Seahawks, and the Jags.

Our schedule from here on out is a bunch of should win games, and I stress should.

I also stress that I don't expect to lose to anyone of the teams.

But what I do know is that if our D doesn't step it up and play better consistant Defense, we will lose atleast two.

snowinapril
11-16-2004, 05:00 PM

no way... 12-4!!! We're done losing for the season... we're gonna win our way all the way to the superbowl!!!

I hope you are right.

I went through at the beginning of the year and said OK the best we can do is 12-4. I then said worst case scenario would be 10-6.

4 losses equaling Eagles, Colts, GB and one courtesy loss to the Lions or the Bears. This presumption was made thinking that we had a better D.

Well, we were on schedule for 12-4 except we lost to the Giants.

Trying to keep it real.

Nightgaunt
11-17-2004, 12:35 AM
Vikings have a defense? Could fooled me, i swear they threw in some beefed up HS kids in the game sunday. I mean its pretty fucking sad when the annoncers are cracking jokes about your teams defense half the game. Tired of the excuses with the defense, they need to get there shit together. I could run the vikings defense better then it has been run since week one, and that aint no shit. :angryfire:

hawaiianvike21
11-17-2004, 02:52 AM
I see us losing two at most and one the very least amount of losses. However one of those losses wont be against the pack, thats for sure.

10-6 or 11-5.

Our d aint good enough to let us be 12-4 yet nor the special teams.

tarkenton10
11-17-2004, 08:31 AM
I will come on here at the end of the season and I will gladly say I was wrong if we are 10-6 or better. I won't apologize though, I posted a good post with an accurate assessmant of the Vikings situation. And if the Vikings go 8-8 or worse purplehorn, I assume you are going to apologize to me for the posts about me. And my attitude and your attitude hasn't made one play on the field. You people are nuts with this postive karma thing. Last time I checked there are no stats for positive karma on a game!! Gimme a break!! :angryfire: And I would love for the Vikings to be 10-6 or better but MY assessment of the team hasn't changed. They will be 8-8 at the end of the year!!

XTAP59
11-17-2004, 08:54 AM
"snowinapril" wrote:

I hope you are right.

I went through at the beginning of the year and said OK the best we can do is 12-4. I then said worst case scenario would be 10-6.

4 losses equaling Eagles, Colts, GB and one courtesy loss to the Lions or the Bears. This presumption was made thinking that we had a better D.

Well, we were on schedule for 12-4 except we lost to the Giants.

Trying to keep it real.

I think 11-5, we stumble one more game, maybe against the Seachickens.

tarkenton10
11-17-2004, 11:54 AM
I have an article here that says what I have been saying all along. Purplehorn do you read VU.................Here you go!!

Snap. Crackle. Pop.

No, it’s not the Rice Krispie munchkins. That’s the sound of ankles breaking as fans jump off the Vikings bandwagon. After a second straight loss in which the Vikings offense, never known for Elwayesque resurrections from the dead, made up a 14-point deficit only to lose in the final five seconds, there’s a tendency for fingers to be pointed.

While Sunday’s loss to the Packers smacks of 2003 – where the Vikings blew a golden opportunity to leave the rest of the NFC North in the rear-view mirror – it’s not the end of the world. The Vikings still have a very good chance of winning the division. But, barring a significant change, the Vikings aren’t a Super Bowl contender at this point.

Granted, the Vikings' three-game losing streak has come without Randy Moss, but offense is just one of three phases of the NFL game. There is defense and special teams that factor in and, by almost anyone’s estimation, the Vikes have been miserable at both.

For those with no allegiance to either team, Sunday’s game was an NFL classic – two great offenses and two woeful defenses saying whoever has the ball last wins. The last two weeks, it turned out that the Vikings defense was on the field last – and both times couldn’t make the stand to stop it.

While coach Mike Tice has seen defensive coordinators replaced about as fast as toothbrushes, he has remained loyal to Rusty Tillman as his special teams coach. One can only assume that Tillman gave the O.K. on the signing of “kickoff specialist” Jose Cortez – a bitterly ironic oxymoron considering the depth of kickoffs Sunday. While few turkeys have been carved as nicely as the Vikings defense the last three games, two long kickoff returns allowed on fake reverses by the Packers almost solely counted for 10 points in a three-point loss.

Scapegoats are a way of life in the NFL. Ask Ed Donatell, the former Packers defensive coordinator. It happens. When is Tillman going to be held accountable? Remember when the Vikings' special teams were envied. That car is getting smaller in the rear-view mirror every week. Tillman was the driving force behind Aaron Elling and Eddie Johnson. The solution de jour? Go retro – Morten Andersen and Darren Bennett. Mortie’s a likely Hall of Famer, but that’s off of largesse from years gone by. Bennett is the reincarnation of Reggie Roby – flat-footed and 35 yards.

Lost in all of the more obvious problems was that, if not for two great plays by Gus Frerotte to corral awful extra-point snaps, the game-ending field goal likely wouldn’t have been necessary. Frerotte should have received a special teams game ball – nobody else deserved one.

For those who believe the game has three relatively equal facets – offense, defense and special teams – the Vikings are in trouble. The defense is suspect at best, but the special teams is far from special. It’s time for a change – and it should start with Tillman.

snowinapril
11-17-2004, 12:33 PM
"tarkenton10" wrote:

I will come on here at the end of the season and I will gladly say I was wrong if we are 10-6 or better. I won't apologize though, I posted a good post with an accurate assessmant of the Vikings situation. And if the Vikings go 8-8 or worse purplehorn, I assume you are going to apologize to me for the posts about me. And my attitude and your attitude hasn't made one play on the field. You people are nuts with this postive karma thing. Last time I checked there are no stats for positive karma on a game!! Gimme a break!! :angryfire: And I would love for the Vikings to be 10-6 or better but MY assessment of the team hasn't changed. They will be 8-8 at the end of the year!!

First thing Tark, that was a well written article you found, "Snap Crackle Pop." But they should have been calling for the guys head that hired the special teams coach. I am not part of the Snap, Crackle, and Pop though.

We all have our own opinions, no one will need to apologize for their football opinions around here (unless they really really want to).

No one on this board is that omnipotent (this is not a reference to E.D.) and all knowing to be able to predict the outcome of the season.

average american optimism = the glass is half full.
Scandinavian/American otimism = the glass is 1/3 full.

cajunvike
11-17-2004, 01:00 PM
"tarkenton10" wrote:

I have an article here that says what I have been saying all along. Purplehorn do you read VU.................Here you go!!

Snap. Crackle. Pop.

No, it’s not the Rice Krispie munchkins. That’s the sound of ankles breaking as fans jump off the Vikings bandwagon. After a second straight loss in which the Vikings offense, never known for Elwayesque resurrections from the dead, made up a 14-point deficit only to lose in the final five seconds, there’s a tendency for fingers to be pointed.

While Sunday’s loss to the Packers smacks of 2003 – where the Vikings blew a golden opportunity to leave the rest of the NFC North in the rear-view mirror – it’s not the end of the world. The Vikings still have a very good chance of winning the division. But, barring a significant change, the Vikings aren’t a Super Bowl contender at this point.

Granted, the Vikings' three-game losing streak has come without Randy Moss, but offense is just one of three phases of the NFL game. There is defense and special teams that factor in and, by almost anyone’s estimation, the Vikes have been miserable at both.

For those with no allegiance to either team, Sunday’s game was an NFL classic – two great offenses and two woeful defenses saying whoever has the ball last wins. The last two weeks, it turned out that the Vikings defense was on the field last – and both times couldn’t make the stand to stop it.

While coach Mike Tice has seen defensive coordinators replaced about as fast as toothbrushes, he has remained loyal to Rusty Tillman as his special teams coach. One can only assume that Tillman gave the O.K. on the signing of “kickoff specialist” Jose Cortez – a bitterly ironic oxymoron considering the depth of kickoffs Sunday. While few turkeys have been carved as nicely as the Vikings defense the last three games, two long kickoff returns allowed on fake reverses by the Packers almost solely counted for 10 points in a three-point loss.

Scapegoats are a way of life in the NFL. Ask Ed Donatell, the former Packers defensive coordinator. It happens. When is Tillman going to be held accountable? Remember when the Vikings' special teams were envied. That car is getting smaller in the rear-view mirror every week. Tillman was the driving force behind Aaron Elling and Eddie Johnson. The solution de jour? Go retro – Morten Andersen and Darren Bennett. Mortie’s a likely Hall of Famer, but that’s off of largesse from years gone by. Bennett is the reincarnation of Reggie Roby – flat-footed and 35 yards.

Lost in all of the more obvious problems was that, if not for two great plays by Gus Frerotte to corral awful extra-point snaps, the game-ending field goal likely wouldn’t have been necessary. Frerotte should have received a special teams game ball – nobody else deserved one.

For those who believe the game has three relatively equal facets – offense, defense and special teams – the Vikings are in trouble. The defense is suspect at best, but the special teams is far from special. It’s time for a change – and it should start with Tillman.

This one reason that I am not a member of VU (well, that and the price)...but really, I don't think that anyone who anyone here would want on our wagon anyway is jumping off (those who are, don't let the door hit you in the ass on the way down...another mixed metaphor, but hey)...don't come back next year. I am pretty confident that the Vikings make the playoffs this year (probably as division champs given the schedule and the fact that they are at least winning the games that they are supposed to this year)...and I think that we will win at least one playoff game as well...but I am perfectly willing to eat crow if the Vikes win it all this year (since I think that the Vikes (firing on all cylinders) are capable of beating Philly and any other NFC team this year. I am not being a homer, nor a pessimist...this is just as I see it right now.

lifelongvike
11-17-2004, 05:53 PM
"cajunvike" wrote:

"tarkenton10" wrote:

Snap. Crackle. Pop.

This one reason that I am not a member of VU (well, that and the price)...but really, I don't think that anyone who anyone here would want on our wagon anyway is jumping off (those who are, don't let the door hit you in the ass on the way down...another mixed metaphor, but hey)...don't come back next year. I am pretty confident that the Vikings make the playoffs this year (probably as division champs given the schedule and the fact that they are at least winning the games that they are supposed to this year)...and I think that we will win at least one playoff game as well...but I am perfectly willing to eat crow if the Vikes win it all this year (since I think that the Vikes (firing on all cylinders) are capable of beating Philly and any other NFC team this year. I am not being a homer, nor a pessimist...this is just as I see it right now.

Cajun, I respect your view and your outlook but I do not share them. Having been a fan since the Vikes started in 1961 there have been lots of times to break an ankle jumping off the bandwagon and I have not participated. I have been disappointed (championship game loss to the Falcons in 98/99), disgusted (Steckle/Burns eras), mad (trade for Hershall Walker), frustrated too many times to list, embarassed (last game of last season, Super Bowl loss to the Chiefs, etc.), elated (first win over the Bears, anytime we beat the Packers, most of the 70's, 1998 to name a few), etc., etc. Even though my outlook for the season is not as rosey as yours I have tickets to the Redskins game. At no time in those circumstances did I stop being a fan and nothing short of Red moving them can change that.

I do get offended by the line of thought that if I do not think they will win every game or even every year I have somehow jumped ship and should be stomped to death by the Purple Hoard or on this board the purplehorn. I still root for them every week whether I think they will win or not, I enjoy watching the games and I react to what they do on the field good or bad. I just see what might happen different than you do and enjoy hearing what other fans think.

Let's stop talking about who is too pesimistic or optimistic and questioning motives and loyalty and get back to talking about football.

cajunvike
11-17-2004, 06:29 PM
"lifelongvike" wrote:

"cajunvike" wrote:

"tarkenton10" wrote:

Snap. Crackle. Pop.

Cajun, I respect your view and your outlook but I do not share them. Having been a fan since the Vikes started in 1961 there have been lots of times to break an ankle jumping off the bandwagon and I have not participated. I have been disappointed (championship game loss to the Falcons in 98/99), disgusted (Steckle/Burns eras), mad (trade for Hershall Walker), frustrated too many times to list, embarassed (last game of last season, Super Bowl loss to the Chiefs, etc.), elated (first win over the Bears, anytime we beat the Packers, most of the 70's, 1998 to name a few), etc., etc. Even though my outlook for the season is not as rosey as yours I have tickets to the Redskins game. At no time in those circumstances did I stop being a fan and nothing short of Red moving them can change that.

I do get offended by the line of thought that if I do not think they will win every game or even every year I have somehow jumped ship and should be stomped to death by the Purple Hoard or on this board the purplehorn. I still root for them every week whether I think they will win or not, I enjoy watching the games and I react to what they do on the field good or bad. I just see what might happen different than you do and enjoy hearing what other fans think.

Let's stop talking about who is too pesimistic or optimistic and questioning motives and loyalty and get back to talking about football.

If you read my post, you will see that I wasn't accusing you at all...it was more a swipe at the VU article and those who would jump off the Viking wagon. If I offended you as regards your loyalty, I apologize...nor was I accusing you of being overly pessimistic...I can see many of your points, but I don't want the general attitude here on the board to be negative...we have many games left that are winnable and I want to see the Vikes give themselves a chance to do just that. I am glad to hear that you have tickets to the Redskins game...apparently enlvikeman is going too and I am hoping to come by some tickets as well. We should all get together for a tailgate before the game...if I get there that is! Most importantly, us Viking fans have got to stick together for the rest of the season, no matter what we think will happen. The important thing is that the Vikings play up to their potential, which if they do, they can make the playoffs. GO VIKES!!!

XTAP59
11-17-2004, 06:48 PM
"tarkenton10" wrote:

Actually, I wish it would start with a new owner who would in turn fire Tice.

lifelongvike
11-18-2004, 12:04 AM
"cajunvike" wrote:

"lifelongvike" wrote:

"cajunvike" wrote:

"tarkenton10" wrote:

Snap. Crackle. Pop.

If you read my post, you will see that I wasn't accusing you at all...it was more a swipe at the VU article and those who would jump off the Viking wagon. If I offended you as regards your loyalty, I apologize...nor was I accusing you of being overly pessimistic...I can see many of your points, but I don't want the general attitude here on the board to be negative...we have many games left that are winnable and I want to see the Vikes give themselves a chance to do just that. I am glad to hear that you have tickets to the Redskins game...apparently enlvikeman is going too and I am hoping to come by some tickets as well. We should all get together for a tailgate before the game...if I get there that is! Most importantly, us Viking fans have got to stick together for the rest of the season, no matter what we think will happen. The important thing is that the Vikings play up to their potential, which if they do, they can make the playoffs. GO VIKES!!!

Cajun, sorry about that. I was not meaning you personally, I was referring to the article and the situation in general. I think you are right about the schedule and I truely hope we win out and do something in the playoffs. I have been very disappointed in the outcomes of the last two games as I think both were winnable and I am sure that has come through in my posts, hope this week is different.

We will be sitting in section 306 and have an orange parking pass. I am all for a purple tailgate with any and all who will be there. I am taking my Dad and three sons. Can't decide if I will wear my Tarkenton or Culpepper jersey, maybe I'll do both and change each quarter.

cajunvike
11-18-2004, 12:49 AM
Check your PMs, lifelongvike!

lifelongvike
11-18-2004, 12:59 AM
"cajunvike" wrote:

Check your PMs, lifelongvike!

What are PMs?

cajunvike
11-18-2004, 01:31 AM
Click on your name and look for the PM (Personal Message) button in your profile...I sent you a message that only you can see.

cajunvike
11-18-2004, 01:54 AM
"cajunvike" wrote:

Click on your name and look for the PM (Personal Message) button in your profile...I sent you a message that only you can see.

Check them again...you should have two messages.

lifelongvike
11-18-2004, 09:34 AM
"cajunvike" wrote:

They came through and I have sent some back.

cajunvike
11-18-2004, 09:41 AM
I didn't get any...if you created new messages but without subject lines, then they didn't get sent (I learned this the hard way)...if you just replied, then I think that you don't need to add a subject line.

mrdrae
11-18-2004, 10:16 AM
Yea they are....always have been.....always will be.

A diking is bad but there is nothing worse than self proclaimed horrible diking fan. :salute:

tarkenton10
11-18-2004, 11:10 AM
who cares what you think! you have to put that mr in your post because you can't get any respect from anyone. Does your family even walk upright yet? try and at least be sober when you get on this site. And I feel sorry for the Sheep in your ghetto!!

purplehorn
11-19-2004, 09:27 AM
"mrdrae" wrote:

A diking is bad but there is nothing worse than self proclaimed horrible diking fan. :salute:

oh mr g@y please go away!! :thebirdman:

Caine
11-19-2004, 11:31 AM
"mrdrae" wrote:

I think the short bus is here to pick you up. Time to go back to "Packerland"...

Caine

tarkenton10
11-22-2004, 08:27 AM
Mrdrae where are you now!! Besides at selling your sister for money!!

tarkenton10
11-23-2004, 01:39 PM
Viking lbs played bad against the Lions we were lucky to come out of it with a win. I thought we would beat the Lions at home better than that. And Moss is not going to play against the Jags. Things aren't looking that good, let's hope the D has learned a little since Sunday!!

purplehorn
11-23-2004, 01:45 PM
And give credit where credit is due. The Claiborn
sack the Winfield int are just the kind of big defensive plays it takes to win. They did just that.

snowinapril
11-23-2004, 01:57 PM
Credit to Johnstone also, 3 sacks and crucial ones at that.

SKOL
11-23-2004, 01:58 PM
"tarkenton10" wrote:

Moss is not going to play against the Jags.

Tark, you got a link or a source on that? I can't find anything that says he won't play... but I know the Vikes were going to check for swelling Tuesday morning.

tarkenton10
11-23-2004, 02:07 PM
No I don't have a source but Randy has only passed two of the tests to get back on the field. I don't know if he didn't take the third test or failed it. But until he psses all three tests by the trainer he will not be allowed to play. So as of right now, he can not play!

purplepat
11-23-2004, 02:25 PM
"tarkenton10" wrote:

No I don't have a source but Randy has only passed two of the tests to get back on the field. I don't know if he didn't take the third test or failed it. But until he psses all three tests by the trainer he will not be allowed to play. So as of right now, he can not play!

So what you really mean is that you have NO IDEA! You make a statement that "Moss is not going to play...", but then tell the whole truth, which is that so far, he has passed two of the three requirements he needs to play, and you have no information regarding the third.

So a proper statement would be....Moss has yet to be cleared to play, but signs are pointing to that he will.

purplehorn
11-23-2004, 03:47 PM
Associated Press
November 23, 2004

Randy Moss is EXPECTED BACK on the field this week for the Minnesota Vikings, provided his strained right hamstring doesn't swell.

Coach Mike Tice said Monday a reasonable plan for Moss in Sunday's game against Jacksonville is 25 plays, mostly in three-receiver formations.

Since sustaining the injury Oct. 17 at New Orleans, Moss twice made token appearances without catching a pass and did not dress for the past three games.

He's still tied for third in the NFC with eight touchdown receptions for the Vikings (6-4), who stopped a three-game losing streak by beating Detroit 22-19 on Sunday.

Moss, who has been running routes on the side for the past week, looked good in an intense workout Monday morning to test his strength and endurance. Tice and team trainers want to make sure the leg doesn't swell todayday before allowing him to practice. He'll be listed as doubtful, for now.

VKG4LFE
11-23-2004, 09:15 PM
"SKOL" wrote:

"tarkenton10" wrote:

Tark, you got a link or a source on that? I can't find anything that says he won't play... but I know the Vikes were going to check for swelling Tuesday morning.

This coming from the guy who started the post and named it "The vikings are horrible!" You have no idea!

skogs02
11-23-2004, 10:04 PM
Moss WILL play!

enlvikeman
11-23-2004, 10:42 PM
Whoever intiated this thread is a Jackazz.

tarkenton10
11-24-2004, 07:56 AM
And you enlike are an inbred moron. If you read my post you would have realized that I was correct in my analysis of the D. In the two recent losses the lbs did not tackle well and they were out of position more often than not. They gave up a game winning drive in both games. Even against the Lions the D played horrible the first three quarters. The lbs again were playing badly and missing tackles. The fourth quarter they played much better. However against a better oppponent playing one good quarter of defense is not going to provide us a win. So before you call anyone a jackass read the post and think about it. That is what humans do - that is what separates us from the apes. Or maybe I am writing to one!!

enlvikeman
11-24-2004, 08:06 AM
yawn...settle down jackazz. I'm sorry if I hurt your wittle feelings but I've always made my opinion known with out sugercoating it. You start a thread saying that the Vikes are horrible at purplepride.org and wonder why maybe one person doesn't care for it. No I'm not gonna waste my time reading it. Maybe you should not waste your time posting it.

tarkenton10
11-24-2004, 08:32 AM
You didn't hurt my feelings moron. I was just suprised you know how to read. Shouldn't you be in a bar somewhere stalking women. Or maybe home beating your wife. From the sounds of it maybe both!!!

lifelongvike
11-24-2004, 08:34 AM
"VKG4LFE" wrote:

"SKOL" wrote:

"tarkenton10" wrote:

This coming from the guy who started the post and named it "The vikings are horrible!" You have no idea!

I heard it will be limited to the 3 receiver sets and no more than 25 plays if there is no swelling.

Del Rio
11-24-2004, 08:37 AM
Tark I don't agree with your thoughts on them being horrible, but I do think you made some valid points.

The O-line is not doing a very good job. Granted they are banged up, and missing some people but the protection the last three games has been sub par especially coming from a line that is supposed to be one of the best. They do what they need to survive I guess during the hard times.

The running game you touched on is very dissapointing lately. I HATE running back by commitee. I hate having them share carries it just flat out isn't as productive. Look at the lions game? Granted the 2 DT's for the Lions are at the top of the league this year and their run defense is great but I think that was a situation where neither one had enough carries to get a rythym.

The colts game when we were switching backs we kept having to call time outs because of the crowd noise or the tempo was too fast for us. And they were trying to switch LB's between plays against Manning and the NO HUDDLE :roll:

I do not think the Vikings are Horrible but I feel we are being carried by talent alone. I do not favor our coaching on either side of the ball Tice is ok, but I personally do not care for either cordinators. Especially on the offensive side.

The D is so young it hurts to watch. That LB core is lacking a solid vetran I mean ok we have Claiborne but one must ask how much does he care anymore? He has been hurt a lot. When he is in there his numbers are no where near his avg. And from what I have read and seen he isn't a vocal leader like oh hell Mcdaniel, Brooks, Lewis, Lloyd, and the list goes on forever.

I played D I love the aspect of defence. The line is doing great tons of talent on the front four. Look up the sacks the hurries and you will see they rank with the best.

The corners are doing good in my opinion they are getting more physical and the cord. is letting them play a little more ball.

But the one glaring stain on the D is a total lack of a solid anchor at LB. A consistant student of the game that is vocal and knows WTF is going on. someone to slide a man over if is mislined someone who knows the defense not just his part in it. Johnstone is a leader but how far does that take you on the line? Only four across. You need a general in the middle. Weather it is one of our young guys stepping up or getting a crafty vetran in the off season that is a point of pain for us.

Special teams. :pukeright:
Comon fix it allready every game we have lost besides the Giants could be chalked up to special teams! Teams starting on the 40! THE 50! The whole game!!!
If they get 2-3 firsts they are in FG range. You are putting a young D in a rough situation there isn't much learning curve there. You are asking them to do what the Ravens would struggle with.

Last of all is just attitude bring some. Bring some spirit some in your face purple pain. Cotrell said he wanted to get his guys more like the Viking D of old the Purple People Eaters, well that they are not. Not in body or more importantly mind. Hell get some pride knock someone in the mouth. I think that attitude needs to be delivered from a vetran LB.

Oh and Tark cheer up man it's starting to get good. Right now is the time we want it to come together, and if it does it is the most important time for it to happen.

lifelongvike
11-24-2004, 08:39 AM
"enlvikeman" wrote:

yawn...settle down jackazz. I'm sorry if I hurt your wittle feelings but I've always made my opinion known with out sugercoating it. You start a thread saying that the Vikes are horrible at purplepride.org and wonder why maybe one person doesn't care for it. No I'm not gonna waste my time reading it. Maybe you should not waste your time posting it.

I am sure your command of the english language and engaging personality eliminate the need for sugarcoating your moronic thoughts. Opinions are like assholes, everyone has one but it is not often a good idea to expose them in public. Trust you will soon come to that conclusion and stop wasting space on this and other threads.

casper
11-24-2004, 08:43 AM
"SKOL" wrote:

Whew, thanks VKG4LFE... a voice of reason.

A FRICKING MEN

sounds like there are a few more closet pucker fans here :evil: for me the only way is purple power :twisted: F*ck the rest we are the best

sorry kids :roll: :scratch: somethings are better said like VKG4LFE and SKOL say...We will see you in Jacksonville 8) You Can't Hide from the Purple Pride

tarkenton10
11-24-2004, 08:53 AM
Great anlaysis Del rio. and I understand you don't think the Vikings are horrible. But your post explained it very well, they are getting wins by talent and not being a good football team. And you hit the nail on the head when you said the coaching is not good. I said that too in this post. Tice, the OC,and the DC are not doing a good job. You see the same mistakes being made game after game after game!!! And I knew a lot of people would disagree with me but that is the whole point. Through this dicussion don't we get a better idea of what may be wrong with the Vikes!! Discussion enlightens the subject while insulting people just shows a lack of intelligence!!

enlvikeman
11-24-2004, 12:44 PM
Two angry little men...I will back away. Afterall since the both of you have been posting at this site for so long I can see my opinion holds no merit here. I didn't realize that this was a thesis lifelongvike. I think you missed your calling as an English teacher. Plus why Tark are you speaking of my wife or my social activities? I can see you haven't been at this site to long tark because most of the people who have been here for a while know me better then you do. So before throwing out comments about someone or their family in the manner you do I suggest you take a deep breath and relax.

Del Rio
11-24-2004, 12:52 PM
Watching a battle of E-peen, is quite entertaining. :cheers:

purplehorn
11-24-2004, 01:01 PM
"tarkenton10" wrote:

while insulting people just shows a lack of intelligence!!

And you enlike are an inbred moron.

:scratch: does not speak well for yourself here Tark

tarkenton10
11-24-2004, 01:27 PM
You are the one who wants to throw around insults. If you don't like it then tell me what you don't like about it. But if you call me a jackass then you are going to get the same treatment back who is whining and crying now. YOu get what you give. Treat me with respect and you will get respect. You act like a moron and you will get what I feel like giving!! So in the future if you don't want me talking about your life talk about the post and I will too!!!

tarkenton10
11-24-2004, 01:29 PM
You're right Purple horn but there are times when people like him need to know what it feels like to be treated in that manner. Hopefully he will act a little more civilized!!

enlvikeman
11-24-2004, 01:40 PM
Understood tark...however there are many people whom would agree with me that starting this thread makes you look like a jackazz. If you have a problem with me, attack me, not my family or take insults to another level which simply are not true. The truth is I am not an ape (I have a masters degree). I am not from Wisconsin (so I'm not inbreed) I am married, do not beat my wife and do not stalk women. As a matter of fact I arrest people who stalk women.

snowinapril
11-24-2004, 01:41 PM
"Del Rio" wrote:

The O-line is not doing a very good job. Granted they are banged up, and missing some people but the protection the last three games has been sub par especially coming from a line that is supposed to be one of the best. They do what they need to survive I guess during the hard times.

The running game you touched on is very dissapointing lately. I HATE running back by commitee.

I do not think the Vikings are Horrible but I feel we are being carried by talent alone. .

The D is so young it hurts to watch. That LB core is lacking a solid vetran I mean ok we have Claiborne but

I played D I love the aspect of defence. The line is doing great tons of talent on the front four. Look up the sacks the hurries and you will see they rank with the best.

The corners are doing good in my opinion they are getting more physical and the cord. is letting them play a little more ball.

But the one glaring stain on the D is a total lack of a solid anchor at LB.

Last of all is just attitude bring some.

Right now is the time we want it to come together, and if it does it is the most important time for it to happen.

I like the points above.

We want to put it together down the stretch and into the playoffs.

I think the coaches know that it is our LBs that are the problems. Almost every press conf. you here that the LB was out of position or he didn't make the proper read and adjust. The coaches know! But the D has not been healthy in order to get some consistancy. And as far as delivering the blow or the attitude, these young guys at LB are spinning. You know how the veterans say oh the game has slowed down. The game is going MACH ONE in the heads of our LBs. They are thinking too much to think about the attitude. They are thinking I better not screw up again, not I am going to pop "The EDGE" so hard his head will fall off. Hopefully with Claiborne back, he can provide the leadership that you were talking about and make the game simpler for the young LBs. R. Smith looked good then he gets a concussion and has been out for 2 games. We have been hurting.

The O-line has been sub par, we are used to having a dominant line here in MN. They also have had a lot of injuries and substitutions. When they are not getting penalties for false starts, to do a good job with the patchwork we have. Also, Tice said sometime in the last week and a ahalf that McKinney is not where they had hoped he would be. He said that he is doing well but they expected more from him. It was LIKE Tice was trying to say he didn't think McKinney was motivated. That is how I took it.

About the RBs, Tice said, he would like a guy to stand out so he could say this is the guy. I don't understand why he can't just say hey YOU are "THE GUY", after all, he is the coach right!!!!!!! He should be able to judge the talent.

D-line, Hovan or no Hovan, which was the HOT TOPIC around here for so long, it doesn't matter!!!! It isn't about one guy. As a whole, they have played well. Like you said, their stats are up there with the best. I was really surprised a few weeks ago, after reading all the "VIKINGS D SUCKS" threads, I looked the stats up and we were right there in the sacks and hurries. The Line is doing well even if Hovan and his replacements are adding numbers to the line stats. Now K Williams is standing out. Udeze, he needs to get the Freeney and KGB moves down and he will be awesome.

Last but not least, the other problem on the D is the lack of Turn Overs. We have recovered some fumbles and it has been our DBs that have done most of the recovering. BUT, the fact that we have dropped and I mean dropped some of the easiest chances at INTs has hurt us. We only get so many chances a game. We have not capitalized on them. It makes our D look a lot worse than it is. It is the TO stat that we are lacking in on D. A TO here and there would reduce the points scored against us quite a bit. Our problem has been letting other teams score. In the last 5 weeks, I can remember atleast six drops there are probably more. OPPORTUNISTIC, that is what we have to be.

Final NOTE:

I heard that Grant gave a speach to the players before the game on Sunday. He said, "ONE MORE PLAY, that is what it comes down to, you have to MAKE ONE MORE PLAY"

tarkenton10
11-24-2004, 02:04 PM
No enlike many would agree the vikings aren't horrible not that I am a jackass. And if you had get into insults you never know what is going to be said so in the future I just want some respect from you. If you don't like my post that is fine, I understand that but if you attack me then you shouldn't put rules on me how I respond!! And I will respond!! And my post told you why they are horrible, why don'y you just tell me why you disagree. Why the personal attack obviously you did not like it when I insulted you. So just try to remember you get what you give!!

tarkenton10
12-06-2004, 01:33 PM
I am not happy to be here but the Vikings are proving this thread to be true. I get as mad as anyone but once again we lose to an inferior opponent in the middle of a division race. Those of you who were bashing me three weeks ago will say we are still in first place; and I say that is because everyone in our division sucks!! I wish I could say we were going to win the rest of our games and go into the playoffs with some MO. But that won't happen. We might win two games and that would amke us 9-7. I said we would be 9-7or 8-8 and that is still a possibilty the way they are playing.

cajunvike
12-06-2004, 01:45 PM
The fact of the matter is this: Nothing that we say here will make the Vikings play better, so we need to stay positive...and that includes our criticisms of the team. Positive criticism is fine, but bashing our own team is not healthy for our frame of mind here...save the bashing for the Packers and other opponents. There is alot of good analysis here on this thread (as well as other threads here)...for the most part, we have a very intelligent group of Viking posters here (as well as a few decent Packer and other teams fans posting here...LOL). We need to keep it light enough here so that all Viking fans feel welcome here...it will only make our site that much stronger. That being said, anyone who insults another poster (or criticizes the team too harshly) only invites retaliation in kind (and probably deserves it)...at least that is how I operate. Let's kill this thread and move on to more positive assessments of OUR team...GO VIKES!!!

ItalianStallion
12-06-2004, 01:51 PM
9-7 is pretty much guaranteed to make the playoffs this year in the NFC, at least as a wildcard. AS much as I would love to win the division, I really just want to see some Viking post season action which has been gone for 3 seasons.

purplehorn
12-06-2004, 01:57 PM
"tarkenton10" wrote:

I am not happy to be here but the Vikings are proving this thread to be true. .

They could just as easy win the last four out. They lost a dam
game on the road against a tough division rival stfu get over it
and see what happens.

SKOL VIKES :cheers:

Steamed Turtle
12-06-2004, 02:05 PM
I thought the vikings played a MUCH better game yesterday than the pack. We were pitiful!

tarkenton10
12-06-2004, 02:17 PM
I agree that whatever we talk about won't make the Vikings play better or worse. I just see the same collapse as last year and everyone was telling me I am crazy and we were going to go 12-4. I just wanted to tell those people to think before they speak. That being said I as wrong thinking that we would not make the playoffs. It looks like 9-7 or 8-8 will make the playoffs. In most years I would have been right but this year we may make it!

TheAnimal93
12-06-2004, 02:45 PM
well with all of the injuries and all the negativity that goes along with i guess we should be lucky to be where we are. both starting corners......out.......best weapon in football........noneffective in a month or more........most of our starting O lineman......out or nicked up bad. we need to get the guys that are in there now prepared to play, like i said...you are only as good as your backups.

Webby
12-06-2004, 02:53 PM
Tark & ENL: TRUCE. Got it?

fanfrom69
12-06-2004, 09:48 PM
Hey let's be positive. We were 7-5 at this point last year. And this year... we're... well... 7-5. BUT, consider this:

Last year we started at 6-0
This year we started at 5-1... so we haven't fallen as far ... yet.

Last year our D stayed ranked around 30th most of the year.
At last check this year we're 27th. That's a full 3 positions higher!

Last year, we couldn't come from behind at all.
This year we came back on the mighty Lions( they were 3-6 i think) and the mighty jags ( they were 6-6). Both games were at home of course- where we're supposed to win against lesser opponents.

Last year stupid penalties broke my heart.
This year stupid penalties don't hurt as bad- i think i'm getting calloused.

Oh well, no telling where we'll go from here- we're not playing the Cardinals in the last game are we?

tarkenton10
12-07-2004, 09:29 AM
Webby I wasn't starting anything; I was explaining what was wrong with the Vikings and how I predicted they would finish. Enlike came here and started the personal attacks. And now it appears that I was pretty accurate. With four weeks to go I may still be wrong and I said I would be on here and admit that; should it happen. But if I am right some people should at least state that I was correct after the way they reacted!

snowinapril
12-07-2004, 09:38 AM
"fanfrom69" wrote:

Hey let's be positive. We were 7-5 at this point last year. And this year... we're... well... 7-5. BUT, consider this:

This year we came back on the mighty Lions( they were 3-6 i think) and the mighty jags ( they were 6-6). Both games were at home of course- where we're supposed to win against lesser opponents.

Oh well, no telling where we'll go from here- we're not playing the Cardinals in the last game are we?

Was that suppose to be persuasive for or against the Vikes?

To me those arguments, made me want to take the Vikes out behind the barn and put them out of their misery. Call the Glue factory!

Oh and we don't play the Cardinals (dismal last year) but we play the Redskins (dismal this year).

The only significant difference is not with the Vikings, it is that the rest of the NFC SUCKS worse than the NFC SUCKED last year.

I am not suggesting anything, I am just trying to restate and understand where you are coming from, would you agree with this or am I way off???

Or were you just being sarcastic. :roll:

Del Rio
12-07-2004, 09:45 AM
Like I said Tark, I agree with you on the team but I wouldn't go as far as to say they are horrible, I mean in regards to the rest of the NFL I'd say like the Dolphins, and the Niners fans have it worse.

Every team needs a few bad years to weed out the bandwagon. What sucks is that if you have been a fan for any period of time before 1998 you know we have been doing some gardening foa while now :D

As far as negativity I appreciate the post, I don't think everything needs to be peaches and cream here. What I got out of it is this forum is just a place to talk Viking's football. People have different view of where we stand as a team. But in the end we are all fans and everyone of us want to see the Vikes win.

I mean common how sad are you going to be if your wrong in this post :D what if the vikes go on to win the superbowl? We are all going to be in heaven. Even you.

So get off Tark, he can post this stuff. Just stray away from personal attacks. That's when things get ugly.

tarkenton10
12-07-2004, 11:09 AM
Thanks Del rio - Exactly, and if you don't like the post tell me why, where did I go wrong. Don't just insult me. And I have been a fan for many years. And YES, I WOULD LOVE TO BE WRONG AND IF WE WON THE SUPER BOWL EVERYONE CAN SAY I WAS WRONG. I WOULD BE ELATED TO BE RIBBED ABOUT THIS POST. But that is a long way off, we are
7-5 for a reason. If you leave out Philly and Indy which you can reasonably argue that the Vikings weren't favored to win; the teams that beat us have a combined record of 17-19. The teams that we lost to have a combined record of 28-44. That isn't the type of numbers that point to the playoffs let alone a super bowl victory.

cajunvike
12-07-2004, 11:09 AM
"Del Rio" wrote:

Like I said Tark, I agree with you on the team but I wouldn't go as far as to say they are horrible, I mean in regards to the rest of the NFL I'd say like the Dolphins, and the Niners fans have it worse.

Every team needs a few bad years to weed out the bandwagon. What sucks is that if you have been a fan for any period of time before 1998 you know we have been doing some gardening foa while now :D

As far as negativity I appreciate the post, I don't think everything needs to be peaches and cream here. What I got out of it is this forum is just a place to talk Viking's football. People have different view of where we stand as a team. But in the end we are all fans and everyone of us want to see the Vikes win.

I mean common how sad are you going to be if your wrong in this post :D what if the vikes go on to win the superbowl? We are all going to be in heaven. Even you.

So get off Tark, he can post this stuff. Just stray away from personal attacks. That's when things get ugly.

I totally agree...at least save the personal attacks for trolls!!!

purplehorn
12-07-2004, 04:29 PM
IF THE SHOE FITS WEAR IT

http://www.cyhaus.com/card/nowhining.jpg

Del Rio
12-07-2004, 06:15 PM
Thank you Al Bundy

cajunvike
12-07-2004, 06:52 PM
"Del Rio" wrote:

Thank you Al Bundy

Wouldn't that be more fitting to tell to a Chicago fan? LOL :lol:

eastcoastvikes
12-07-2004, 06:53 PM
Just a reminder, Minnesota is still tied for first! This team is not as bad as some people seem to be saying it is. Tark, i take one problem with your assessment, if you take out the two best records of the teams you lost to the record will look worse, and also to be fair The Giants were a much better team when Minnesota played them then they are now. (Kurt vs.Eli argument) This means the actual record of the teams we lost to is 39-23, that makes it look a lot different. All I am saying is don't twist the numbers to make your argument without providing the real numbers at some point. Also, outside of the Bears and Eagles the other three losses the Vikes were without their best player. Finally, in my opinion Minnesota ends up 11-5, I think they are too good at home to lose to Seattle and Green Bay, and Detroit and Washington are teams you have to take care of down the stretch. Anyone who wants to provide counters to that please feel free.

lifelongvike
12-07-2004, 07:06 PM
I would feel a lot better about your prediction before the Bears game. I am not sure that Detroit and Washington are worse than Chicago.

rjkvikings
12-07-2004, 09:03 PM
"lifelongvike" wrote:

I would feel a lot better about your prediction before the Bears game. I am not sure that Detroit and Washington are worse than Chicago.Hey, the Chicago game was a bad game guys. Get over it and focus on this week instead of sulking. We should be focusing on how we're gonna win this week. We can beat Detroit and Washington! Don't worry about it. I think we will win the rest fo our games, possibly dropping one, but not on Christmas Eve. Mark my words. We will finish 11-5, with a small possibility of 10-6, but either way we win the division!

brock
12-07-2004, 09:28 PM
"PAvikesfan" wrote:

well, fran tarkenton10, tell us how you really feel...

i at least agree with tice being a players coach and players coaches don't win championships....usually. i thought about that when i originally posted it after the horrible Giants game... i do know of one player coach who won a superbowl... Dick Vermeil with the Rams...
i must say...i am leaning towards Tice being fired if we don't make it to the second round of the playoffs within this season or the next.

they only lost two in a row... give em a break.. they played with some heart last night even when Cotrell and Lineham didn't give them much. our Linebackers are a young and speedy talented group... EJ is the best tackler at linebacker we have, yet Cotrell sends him out to cover or play zone... i want to see him attack the ball each play! our veteran LB's are either hurt or don't give much leadership support. however, our D line is good, well-above average... even with Hovan sleeping we have a better line than most teams.
Our CB's are decent at best... B. Williams is a hell of a hitter but lacks experience. Winfield was a great pick-up... our safeties are great, but i think the defensive scemes take them out of a lot of plays... i think it will all come together soon and all you nay-sayers will eat your words... this defense can stop teams from scoring... we were playing agains tthe 2nd best offense for crying out loud! yes, the vikes need to practice their basic tackling skills--and Cotrell needs to get his head out of his ass and start playing smashmouth defense--rush at least 5 each play, all from different directions... make the QB feel it... i want to see a late hit every once in a while to make the QB sweat... i will gladly take the penalty at the beginning of the game if the QB takes a while to get up.

all that being said, the vikes are not out... we have a rough road ahead, but the vikes can win every one of them...the vikes are good enough. watch as Onterio gets more plays and breaks one TD for 40+ against the Fudge. bench bennett, trade him to Carolina for one of their Linebackers and we will kill.

later.

Heh, I want O Leary back.

lifelongvike
12-08-2004, 07:17 AM
"rjkvikings" wrote:

"lifelongvike" wrote:

I would feel a lot better about your prediction before the Bears game. I am not sure that Detroit and Washington are worse than Chicago.Hey, the Chicago game was a bad game guys. Get over it and focus on this week instead of sulking. We should be focusing on how we're gonna win this week. We can beat Detroit and Washington! Don't worry about it. I think we will win the rest fo our games, possibly dropping one, but not on Christmas Eve. Mark my words. We will finish 11-5, with a small possibility of 10-6, but either way we win the division!

Alright your words are marked, I'll be at the Washington game and I am hoping they are playing for something other than pride at that point.

casper
12-08-2004, 09:01 AM
Hey folks :thumbleft: I read this thread again all the way through :argue: WOW :shock:

We are still going to Win the NFC this year :hello1: no matter :angryfire: :shaking: what :pukeright: happens :blackeye: there will always be next year :pale:

and thanks to Webby we can all enjoy the offseason right here :thumbleft:

you all are the best :3some: hey :sign7: no bright ideas :tongue: ya I do know some of you all :sunny:

:director: YOU CAN'T HIDE FROM THE PURPLE PRIDE :headbang:

snowinapril
12-08-2004, 09:34 AM
Casper, that was a positve massage, and I hate to change the tone, but!!!!

I don't know what making the playoffs has to do with Firing Tice or not.

First Round or Second Round. You have to be able to judge him by what he is or isn't doing during the season or over his tenure. Whether or not he gets us to the playoffs or wins one playoff game, or 2 or even the Superbowl. It could be just LUCK if you look at it like that.

The real question is this. Does he deserve to coach the Vikings on the merit of Coaching the Game of FOOTBALL?

tarkenton10
12-08-2004, 09:48 AM
Great point snowinapril, he has made some great moves. He has drafted very well, and has improved the talent in Minnesota. But talent does not win games. If that were true the Rams would have won three super bowls by now. And the NE Patriots would have none. I know the Rams aren't that talented any more; I was referring to three to five years ago. We have more talent now then two years ago but Tice can't seem to make them play to their potential. Linehan is an idiot and has managed to take the greatest weapon in the game and make him a decoy. Really great OC, yeah let's not use Moss but pretend we are going to use him. He needs to go, he calls a terrible game. Isn't it funny how Indy still throws deep to Harrison even though he is getting double covered!!! Tice still needs to learn the nuiances of the game. He makes bad decisions at crucial times. And it pains me to say he has to go, I think he is a great guy and I was for him when they hired him but he really hasn't improved the team like I thought. The special teams haven't shown one bit of improvement from his first day on the job. The defense is no better then when he came too. When he took the job we were 31st in defense. Now we are 27th in defense. Parcells, Belichek could take this team with the talent right now to the super bowl. If we don't fire Tice this year Red should at least make him get rid of linehan. And if they don't go far in the playoffs next year Tice WILL BE GONE!!!!

snowinapril
12-08-2004, 10:06 AM
GOOD example of a coach.

Cowher: Longest tenure in the league. I didn't like him at first. Mainly because of the whole Cordell Stewart thing. Trying it was cool. Staying with it for 5 years was overkill. If you have to simplify the offense to make your QB better, you need a QB replacement. But, in light of that, I have grown to like him. He is a staple. He is a constant. He is an example of loyalty from him as a coach to the fact that the organization is also loyal to him year after year. He has not always been the best coach but he has done his best.

I know a lot of Steeler fans, and I don't remember them having bad stuff to say about Cowher. There may have been a few comment around the Slash issues but other than that the fans have been loyal to the Organization and Owner.

I think we are too fickle as fans and even the owners. Pull the trigger, pull the trigger, if you don't win, we will pull the trigger, you are gone.

Maybe you find a good guy with a good heart that wants to be part of the game and you stick with him through thick and thin.

Now days, who is willing to give someone that amount of time to improve a team?

What do you think?

tarkenton10
12-08-2004, 10:23 AM
I agree with loyalty, but improving a team nowadays if they can should happen in a few years (4). If you can't improve or show some improvement by then you probably never will. The game has changed and free gaents sign contracts for around four or five years. If you haven't gotten better your best players will be free agents and you start over. So th eloyalty thing has changed a little from the glory days of the seventies and eighties when you could build a team and keep it together for years.
I keep rooting for Tice but he just has not grasped the game to the extent you would expect a head coach to at this point.

snowinapril
12-08-2004, 10:36 AM
Well the one thing that is the problem in comparing us to the Steelers is the Owner. We don't even have an owner that is committed to Us, the Community, or even to the Team. Steelers have been family owned and committed to everyone supporting them.

Starts at the top and trickles down.

I think your point about FA is critical. It would be nice to have a few constants atleast when your team continues to change from year to year. I would like to see a Constant owner and a constant coach, sometime in the future.

tarkenton10
12-08-2004, 10:51 AM
ME TOOOO!!!!!! :thumbright:

XTAP59
12-08-2004, 11:46 AM
"fanfrom69" wrote:

I know one thing, I would never buy a used car from you.....LOL

fanfrom69
12-08-2004, 04:28 PM
"XTAP59" wrote:

"fanfrom69" wrote:

I know one thing, I would never buy a used car from you.....LOLHey XTAP and snowinapril,

Yup- I was being saaaaarcastic. The point is- all the improving (Culpepper more mature, Moss head & shoulders above every other WR in the league, Cotrell in as D coordinator, D more mature, the Hunger factor, last year's embarrasment factor, Tice in his 3rd year- no longer a rookie coach, etc etc.) hasn't happened. Anyone who says it has- Prove It. Look at the record. Look at the numbers. Look at the morale. There comes a point when you need to make major changes. I gave ém the benefit of a lot of doubts last year- but this year they ain't gettin' it done. I've been with these guys for 35 years. I want a Championship team. We don't have one- but we could have one. But neither our coaches or players seem to know how to do it.
I live down here in NC. I don't like the Panthers at all, but look how they've adjusted to like a 1-6 start. They don't make excuses about injuries, they make the most of every opportunity and now there in position for a wild card. Like last year we're going the other way.

snowinapril
12-08-2004, 04:42 PM
We are on page 11 of this thread and I think this argument is finally starting to cut mustard.

Wow

No I don't mean cutting cheese

I mean this dog'll hunt.

snowinapril
12-08-2004, 04:46 PM
"fanfrom69" wrote:

"XTAP59" wrote:

"fanfrom69" wrote:

I know one thing, I would never buy a used car from you.....LOLHey XTAP and snowinapril,

Yup- I was being saaaaarcastic. The point is- all the improving (Culpepper more mature, Moss head & shoulders above every other WR in the league, Cotrell in as D coordinator, D more mature, the Hunger factor, last year's embarrasment factor, Tice in his 3rd year- no longer a rookie coach, etc etc.) hasn't happened. Anyone who says it has- Prove It. Look at the record. Look at the numbers. Look at the morale. There comes a point when you need to make major changes. I gave ém the benefit of a lot of doubts last year- but this year they ain't gettin' it done. I've been with these guys for 35 years. I want a Championship team. We don't have one- but we could have one. But neither our coaches or players seem to know how to do it.
I live down here in NC. I don't like the Panthers at all, but look how they've adjusted to like a 1-6 start. They don't make excuses about injuries, they make the most of every opportunity and now there in position for a wild card. Like last year we're going the other way.

FFF69,

You convinced me with your argument. Like I said it wanted me to take the Vike behind the barn and put them out of their misery. What you said seemed to be on the money. We haven't improved and we should have by now under our coach.

purplehorn
12-08-2004, 04:50 PM
Well I can't wait till the boys are 10-6 or maybe
even 11-5 and all the pesimistic B.S. is over.

I see excitement on the side lines. Ive seen some defensive pressure and some big plays to win by our so called shitty d.

The Vikes rock and WILL win the NFC NORTH
dam fire em all.

jeebs
12-08-2004, 05:29 PM
amen! the road to recovery is first admitting there is a problem at all. i've been surprised at how much spin us vikings fans love to put on a bad situation (i.e. VikingUpdate). the vikings are NOT great, they ARE barely hanging on to mediocre. the main reason is the coaching hands-down. i love the vikes i want what's best for them and patting them on the back is not what's best for them.

cajunvike
12-08-2004, 07:06 PM
But can we find a coach out there that can take this team and lead it to the Super Bowl next year...because that is what I see as possible given the current roster, the returning players from on IR and next year's crop of draft choices (we gotta at least keep up the great drafts of the past few years) and potential free agent signings (we have got the cap room to do it). If we could find a coach that could step in and win immediately, then I would be all for firing Tice...if not, I am not so sure that bringing in some coach that has to start over is a good idea...just a thought.

RK.
12-08-2004, 08:02 PM
Unfortunately Red is not going to spend the money for a SB winning coach. And he didn't spend the cap this year and won't next year either. He is happy with us just being a North Division contender. Thats enough to get him his asking price. What a jerk...he has no business owning a sports team..and definitely not our team.

VKG4LFE
12-08-2004, 08:05 PM
It's all about the money to him. Like I've said before, he bought the Spurs and then sold them for a profit. He bought the Vikes and is trying to make a big profit off of them. He probably knows nothing about football except for that they use pigskin for the ball probably from a cattle that he once owned and slaughtered to make more frickin' money!

cajunvike
12-08-2004, 08:22 PM
He is laughing all the way to the bank...while us poor Viking fans suffer yet another year without a Super Bowl trophy! Come on Red, pony up for a winner!

lifelongvike
12-13-2004, 08:24 AM
Any doubters now that Tark was right?

tarkenton10
12-13-2004, 09:01 AM
Thanks lifelong. The people who predicted that the Vikes would be 12-4 several weeks ago and calling me a jackass have run to the nooks and crannies to hide. Enlike who thought I was some traitor for this post won't be here to apologize. They spout about how rotten I am for this post but I was very accurate about this team to my dismay!! I do hope they win out and go 10-6 bu tlike I have said i think they will be 9-7 or 8-8. Very possible with this loss they have two road games and you know how the Vikes play on the road. And GB at home which is no easy game!!

purplehorn
12-13-2004, 12:04 PM
The vikes played good 2 Int's pressure on the qb
and will more than
likely finish 10-6 whic his not horrible.
No shame in my game or the Vikings.

tarkenton10
12-14-2004, 07:27 AM
purplehorn they could go 10-6 but they won't. This is the end of the year not the beginning. The D is falling apart, the lbs don't know what they are doing this late in the season and that is a bad omen for the last three games. We don't have any dbs that can cover a receiver; and the Lions, Packers, and Skins are playing pretty good football. We may win two games but not all three. And two of those games are on the road, we are more likely to win just one. The NFC is lacking many good teams so we may get a playoff spot with an 8-8 record.

fanfrom69
12-14-2004, 06:32 PM
"tarkenton10" wrote:

purplehorn they could go 10-6 but they won't. This is the end of the year not the beginning. The D is falling apart, the lbs don't know what they are doing this late in the season and that is a bad omen for the last three games. We don't have any dbs that can cover a receiver; and the Lions, Packers, and Skins are playing pretty good football. We may win two games but not all three. And two of those games are on the road, we are more likely to win just one. The NFC is lacking many good teams so we may get a playoff spot with an 8-8 record.Good insight, Tarkenton10. You're more optomistic than me though. I've got my doubts about all three games. Maybe the GB game- only because it's at home and that's the one team we play good even when things are going bad- but it's by no means guaranteed. For a little more insight, think about this - what QB hasn't rolled up yardage against us this year, or at least had a great game. Maybe Harrington and Mcnair (only because he got hurt and left the game)

tarkenton10
12-15-2004, 10:19 AM
Thanks fanfrom69, I was getting blasted because I said this was going to happen 5 weeks ago. you know how everyone was saying we would go 12-4 and personally attacking me because I am not a true fan. I am one of the biggest fans and it irritated me when I see them playing so poorly. I just want a super bowl victory. But this current team needs to improve in so many areas that it finally got to me and I posted this thread. Let's still hope I am wrong and they can turn this season around. The last three games don't look good but they could win out as remote; as I think it is, and make the playoffs.

tarkenton10
12-20-2004, 08:44 AM
I know we won and I am happy for that but they look the same. They score and have the game in hand and all they have to do is keep the oppponent out of the endzone and they can't do it. The only reason that game didn't go into overtime is because the extra point snapper screwed up for Detroit. This post points out the problems still. The good thing is that with the GB loss they can win the North title with a victory over GB. I think they hold the tie breakers so if they win Christmas Eve they win the north. The funny thing is even of they lose they can still win the North with a GB loss next week and a Viking win. We could win the division
at 9-7! :shaking:

Del Rio
12-20-2004, 08:51 AM
It wouldn't be the first time.

We won the division 9-7 in 1980 and a few other times.
Once we even won the division 8-7-1

I still agree with your intitial post, but I am starting to get a good feeling about this season.

vking
12-20-2004, 09:45 AM
"tarkenton10" wrote:

I know we won and I am happy for that but they look the same. They score and have the game in hand and all they have to do is keep the oppponent out of the endzone and they can't do it. The only reason that game didn't go into overtime is because the extra point snapper screwed up for Detroit. This post points out the problems still. The good thing is that with the GB loss they can win the North title with a victory over GB. I think they hold the tie breakers so if they win Christmas Eve they win the north. The funny thing is even of they lose they can still win the North with a GB loss next week and a Viking win. We could win the division
at 9-7! :shaking:

Ya tark, I was excited for about 1 second, then remembered what a crappy defensive game we just played. What the hell is it with Cotrail (however you spell it). We did allright early with 7-8 in the box and playing close to the recievers at the line. Then on that last drive rush 4, didn't blitz once and played off the recievers. That guy is so chicken shit it's unreal. One sack would have probably ended the game, instead we go back to the unagressive style that has killed us all year. Wake up already. Good D isn't created by playing off and giving the QB time to look around especially with the game on the line.

purplehorn
12-20-2004, 10:03 AM
"tarkenton10" wrote:

purplehorn they could go 10-6 but they won't. .

Getting closer to that 10-6 a division win on the road and y'all are still
whining unbelievable :shaking:

snowinapril
12-20-2004, 10:15 AM
This thread is great, who would ever want this thread to end.

Let's meet in the middle. 8-6-2.

Neither game left is a sure "W", we have had too many of those sure "W's" this year that have slipped away.

The pack is the easiest game left.

Don't let the Skin's record fool you. They have one of "THE Best" D's in the leauge. They will play tough and we have to make sure we put our D on the plane when we travel to DC unlike yesterday when the Vikes left the D in MPLS instead of bringing it to Detroit. Too reserved on D. Playing not to lose rather than playing to win. The O looked better against a Lions D that is(was) pretty good this season.

tarkenton10
12-20-2004, 11:07 AM
I don't get what these DCs think. Let them drive down the field and score and you lose. Don't any of these numbn*ts look at the Ravens. Just watch them. They have good players but so do alot of other D's. The difference is they pressure every down. If they aren't blitzing they are up in bump and run. They smother you and pressure a QB to make perfect throws and hurried throws and throws on the run.
Now I am not saying we have the Ravens D but what I am saying is when you pressure a QB bad things happen to a D but a lot of good things too. INTs happen and sacks and touchdowns by our D. You know the old saying the greater the risk the greater the reward. And even if we give up a big play and the game is tied with a minute to go so what. Now we have the ball back with a chance to win again. WE just give up short plays and let the clock drain down and have no chance to win in the end. I am not saying I want a big play to happen and would be pissed if it did. I am saying we need to quit worrying about losing because we are anyway and say what the F**k and play like we don't care. Go wild and play some wrecklees D. We would do alot better than the conservative crap. Corttrel is like a girl.....................I'm afraid what if they score what will they think, they might get a touchdown, they might beat us. Man it must suck to always be scared and play that way. Get some b@*ls and call a game that looks like we want to smash someone in the mouth!!!!

Vikings Fan At MSU
12-20-2004, 12:27 PM
I will give credit to the D line minus Hovan.............there have been some games where the line didnt play too well but they are doing much better as of late. however the rest of the D sucks. Winfield has helped a little but hes isnt GOD. I dont know what you guyss think of Cotrell but he sucks if any of you know where actually came from you might agree with me.................oh wait the 5-11 Jets last year. and all anyone has to say is that hes an awesome D coordinator.

tarkenton10
12-20-2004, 12:38 PM
He actually had some good years for the Bills and Jets but was bad as of late. Then he got fired and we picked him up. He is way too cautious to be a DC. He calls a bad game and doesn't put his young players in a situation to make a play and get some confidence. He needs to grow some b_ _ _ s or go home, and Linehan needs to go too!!

tarkenton10
12-20-2004, 01:36 PM
He actually had some good years for the Bills and Jets but was bad as of late. Then he got fired and we picked him up. He is way too cautious to be a DC. He calls a bad game and doesn't put his young players in a situation to make a play and get some confidence. He needs to grow some b_ _ _ s or go home, and Linehan needs to go too!!

purplehorn
12-21-2004, 09:18 AM
"Vikings Fan At MSU" wrote:

I will give credit to the D line minus Hovan.............there have been some games where the line didnt play too well but they are doing much better as of late. however the rest of the D sucks. Winfield has helped a little but hes isnt GOD. I dont know what you guyss think of Cotrell but he sucks if any of you know where actually came from you might agree with me.................oh wait the 5-11 Jets last year. and all anyone has to say is that hes an awesome D coordinator.

Oh good another negative newbie nancie hooray :roll:

tarkenton10
12-21-2004, 10:04 AM
purplehorn you just don't get it. You think you always have to be RAH, RAH, RAH!! to be a Vikings fan. Well lets look at some facts.

Here are the Vikings games!

SCHEDULE/RESULTS
Date Opponent Time/Results
Sun. Sep. 12 Dallas Win 35-17 THE D PLAYED WELL

Mon. Sep. 20 @Philadelphia Loss 27-16 THE D PLAYED BAD SO DID EVERYBODY
Sun. Sep. 26 Chicago Win 27-22 THE D PLAYED SO SO GAVE UP OVER TWENTY POINTS AND ALMOST LOST THE GAME FOR US.

BYE WEEK

Sun. Oct. 10 @Houston Win 34-28 (OT) THE D GAVE UP A LAST MINUTE DRIVE WE WON IT IN OVERTIME

Sun. Oct. 17 @New Orleans Win 38-31 THE D WAS HORRIBLE GAVE UP 31 POINTS THE O WAS AWESOME AND SAVED THEM

Sun. Oct. 24 Tennessee Win 20-3 GREAT PERFORMANCE BY OUR D
Sun. Oct. 31 NY Giants Loss 34-13 THE D GAVE UP 34 POINTS TO AN UNDERACHIEVING O IN THE GIANTS

Mon. Nov. 8 @Indianapolis Loss 31-28 THE D GAVE UP A LAST MINUTE DRIVE TO LOSE THE GAME PLAYED BAD THROUGHOUT THE GAME

Sun. Nov. 14 @Green Bay Loss 34-31 THE D GAVE UP A DRIVE WITH 43 SECONDS TO GO TO LOSE THE GAME

Sun. Nov. 21 Detroit Win 22-19 THE D PLAYED OK STILL MANY MISTAKES THE FIRST HALF

Sun. Nov. 28 Jacksonville Win 27-16 THE D PLAYED OK BUT GAVE UP A DRIVE LATE AND JACK WAS ON THE TWENTY WHEN THE FUMBLE SECURED THE GAME

Sun. Dec. 5 @Chicago Loss 24-14 THE D GAVE UP 24 POINTS TO ONE OF THE WORST O'S IN THE GAME. LET HUTCHINSON LOOK LIKE A HALL OF FAMER, HE HASN'T PLAYED IN THREE YEARS. BY THE THE NEXT TWO GAMES HUTCHINSON HAS THROWN ONE TOUCHDOWN AND I THINK FOUR INT'S

Sun. Dec. 12 Seattle Loss 27-23 THE D LOOKE D VERY BAD AGAINST THE SEAHAWKS. THE O COULD NOT PLAY WELL ENOUGH TO WIN.

Sun. Dec. 19 @Detroit Win 28-27 :argue: THE D GAVE UP A LAST MINUTE (ACTUALLY 44 SECONDS) TD TO DETROIT. BOTCHED SNAP GAVE US A WIN.

:argue:

Look at those facts the d is horrible!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Show me one other team that has a victory in their grasp with under 2:00 to play and get all those losses. Our O carries us and they have to great every week to win. At least last year they had some good games. The only game the D came to play was the Tennessee game. The D gave up 31 points in four games over 19 points in all but two games. They gave up four last miute drives to lose games. So Purple horn you can feel good about the Vikes there is nothing wrong with that. But there are many problems with the Vikes and the people who see them and want to discuss it should not feel we are not loyal. you need to look at facts, you remind me of those seventies hippies that has the motto peace, love, drugs. They weren't realistic. yeah everybody wants peace and love inthis world but it wasn't a realistic view. So if we are too negative for you sorry but don't read this thread. go read another thread or make one of your own and talk about the Vikings going undefeated and winning the super bowl this year.

vikoles
12-21-2004, 10:08 AM
Can t argue to much with that and on TOP of that I think we have ONLY beaten ONE team with a record better than 500..How bout TWO cum friday! GO VIKES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

ItalianStallion
12-21-2004, 10:09 AM
Our D is one of the worst in the league, no argument here.

vikoles
12-21-2004, 10:11 AM
OUR D line is fairly decent!

tarkenton10
12-21-2004, 10:12 AM
Thank you and yeah let's get another win!!!! I can't stand the fudgepackers!!

vikoles
12-21-2004, 10:17 AM
Puck the Fackers!

tarkenton10
12-21-2004, 10:20 AM
my sentiments exactly!!! :twisted: :santa: Oh yeah Merry Christmas everybody!!

purplehorn
12-21-2004, 11:34 AM
"tarkenton10" wrote:

purplehorn you just don't get it. You think you always have to be RAH, RAH, RAH!! to be a Vikings fan. .

I will try to be more of a pessimist to please the whiners if I can, or not.

Lets look at the fact we are 8-6 with a win friday the NFC north champions
and a playoff lock so you can moan and bitch all you want I say

RAH RAH SKOL VIKINGS with a big ole smile on my face...

cajunvike
12-21-2004, 11:38 AM
"purplehorn" wrote:

"tarkenton10" wrote:

purplehorn you just don't get it. You think you always have to be RAH, RAH, RAH!! to be a Vikings fan. .

I will try to be more of a pessimist to please the whiners if I can, or not.

Lets look at the fact we are 8-6 with a win friday the NFC north champions
and a playoff lock so you can moan and beeyatch all you want I say

RAH RAH SKOL VIKINGS with a big ole smile on my face...

That will be great...but expectations should be much higher...we need to win at least one playoff game to prime the pump for next year...just to make the playoffs (as NFC North champs or not) is not enough. The young players need to get a taste of winning in the playoffs so that next year they come back hungry for a championship. :D

tarkenton10
12-21-2004, 11:56 AM
purplehorn you poor misguided soul you just can't figure it out, life must be going way too fast for you. no one wants you to be anything other than what you are no matter how fuzzy and warm your little world is, however, we don't want you to dictate to us how we are suppose to be as fans. If you are a RAH RAH fan in the face of the teams play then that is fine. There are other people in this world who see some problems with the team and would like to see them addressed. And if you get mad and start insulting people for that then you must be prepared for someone to start saying something back. Remember the old saying - don't get in a pissing contest with a skunk!!!

tarkenton10
01-03-2005, 07:38 AM
Enlike, purplehorn, you guys have ripped for writing this thread. Now that the season is over and I was right where are you guys now? Everything I have said was true and played out just the way I said it would. While everyone was predicting a 12-4 season I was more realistic and predicted a 9-7 or 8-8 season. I just hope the D finally shows up in GB and we win a platoff game but I think GB is going to win. I hate GB so I don't enjoy saying that but I look at the Vikes and they have lost 18 out of 20 games on the road outdoors. That is not a good record. And they were swept by GB this year and the D looked horrible in both games.

snowinapril
01-03-2005, 08:05 AM
"tarkenton10" wrote:

Enlike, purplehorn, you guys have ripped for writing this thread. Now that the season is over and I was right where are you guys now? Everything I have said was true and played out just the way I said it would. While everyone was predicting a 12-4 season I was more realistic and predicted a 9-7 or 8-8 season. I just hope the D finally shows up in GB and we win a platoff game but I think GB is going to win. I hate GB so I don't enjoy saying that but I look at the Vikes and they have lost 18 out of 20 games on the road outdoors. That is not a good record. And they were swept by GB this year and the D looked horrible in both games.

20 of 22

But the good thing is that I know that one of those wins was against the Pack.

Chin up bro, Block and Jab, Cover the Face, Come out Fight'n!!!!!!

snowinapril
01-03-2005, 08:11 AM
Tark10 and Purplehorn,

You 2 are both Vikes fans!

Neither one of you jumped ship, you guys just had different points of view on the season.

The season is over.

The playoffs are starting.

tarkenton10
01-03-2005, 08:25 AM
I agree snowinapril, but they make you feel like you aren't a fan if you don't think the Vikes will destroy every opponent every week. No one on this site wants a win over the Pack more than me. But watching them week in and week out blow games; it is hard to feel confident about the game in GB.

Del Rio
01-03-2005, 08:28 AM
I don't see anything wrong with your opinion. And I think a lot of people feel the same way as you. The people who suggest you are not a fan because you can be realistic are idiots, plain and simple.

purplehorn
01-03-2005, 08:47 AM
"tarkenton10" wrote:

I agree snowinapril, but they make you feel like you aren't a fan if you don't think the Vikes will destroy every opponent every week. .

Thats a bunch of B.S. Tark just because not every one is the
eternal pessimist does not make me or anyone less of a fan either
The Vikes lost several games down the stretch that could have
went either way whopoty dam doo. We have the talent and as good
as chance as anyone in the post season.

snowinapril
01-03-2005, 09:09 AM
"purplehorn" wrote:

Well I can't wait till the boys are 10-6 or maybe
even 11-5 and all the pesimistic B.S. is over.

I see excitement on the side lines. Ive seen some defensive pressure and some big plays to win by our so called shitty d.

The Vikes rock and WILL win the NFC NORTH
dam fire em all.

Yeah, if they went 10-6 or even 9-7 from teh time this was posted, I would have been exstatic. But they didn't and they have let us all down.

What you were hoping for is what every Vikings fan was hoping for or they wouldn't be Viking fans, they would be PackmannXXXXXXXXXXXXXVII.

I don't think you need to apologize for your opinions and your optimism but I don't think it is fair to try to ridicule Tark10 for his opinions that he posted, especially now since he was right all along.

Just cause he posted didn't make it come true. OUR TEAM MADE IT TRUE.

snowinapril
01-03-2005, 09:11 AM
Besides

"webmaster" wrote:

Tark & ENL: TRUCE. Got it?

Quote from Dec 6th of 2004.

tarkenton10
01-03-2005, 09:12 AM
Again purplehorn, I was not a pessimist; DID YOU SEE THE GAMES!?!?!!? You are the one not living in reality. read the very first post and tell me all those weeks ago what I said that was wrong. Are the VIkes 12-4, 11-5, 10-6 even; NO!!!!!!!!!!!!! Has the D stopped anyone since I wrote this thread, NO!!!!!!!!!! Have they lost several games by last minutes drives, YES!!!! Everything that was stated in this post came true. So think what you want but the only BS around here is your assessment of this team.

snowinapril
01-03-2005, 09:15 AM
Tark, I am trying to stick up for ya and you are strating to throw punches again while I am in the middle.

snowinapril
01-03-2005, 09:17 AM
The regular season is over with and it is time for this thread to end. There is no more room for this.

Let's play our playoff game(s) and let this thread die.

tarkenton10
01-03-2005, 10:20 AM
I know snow and I appreciate it but you have seen these guys and how they are. Purplehorn after every loss was telling me how I was wrong and how we can still be 11-5 after that then it was we could still be 10-6. And I am stupid for being so negative and how the postive feeling is what the team needs. Then we could be 10-6 and still win the division what am I talking about. then it was we could be 9-7 and win the division if we beat the Pack why should I be negative. Now he is still talking after I was right he is still acting like I am nuts. He was the idiot that thought we were this great team that was going to go 12-4 and kill everyone. If you read the first post I was right on but does purplehorn or enlike say that no. Had I been wrong I am sure these two would have come on here and ripped me for a long time. I just don't like a person who can not admit when they are wrong. And had I been wrong I would have said so. You are right this thread should end and those two should admit that I was right now that the season is over.

Del Rio
01-03-2005, 10:24 AM
You will never get that satisfaction from purplehorn so don't hold your breath. I applaud your assesment as being correct.

tarkenton10
01-03-2005, 10:27 AM
Thank you Del Rio - All I ask from anyone is to be a man and stand up when he is wrong. Like I said had I been wrong and the Vikes been awesome I would gladly say I was wrong. But as Snow said the year is over and HOPEFULLY we beat the da@$ fudgepackers!!!