PDA

View Full Version : It's sad to think this but I think Bennett should be traded.

MossWilliamsHenderson
11-09-2004, 01:07 AM
It's sad to think this but I think Bennett should be traded. Don't get me wrong, I love Bennett but Smith, Moore, and Williams are better backs than Bennett so far and can handle the load than Bennett does and we don't really need Bennett. Anybody agree?

cajunvike
11-09-2004, 01:14 AM
"MossWilliamsHenderson" wrote:

It's sad to think this but I think Bennett should be traded. Don't get me wrong, I love Bennett but Smith, Moore, and Williams are better backs than Bennett so far and can handle the load than Bennett does and we don't really need Bennett. Anybody agree?

As long as we can get value for him and it doesn't backfire on us, then by all means, trade him. But it won't happen until next year, so we need to utilize him to our advantage and so that other teams don't think that they can just get him for nothing (remember, he was a 1st rounder and not a bust, so we should get decent value for him).

VikingsTw
11-09-2004, 01:14 AM
I do, I have been a Bennett suporter since the day he got drafted, infact that is when i started watching the draft, there first pick that i watched. Bennett is a great guy personally, (i have heard comments from many of his teamates that hes a great guy). I got his jersey, really he was my favorite player the first couple years but injuries kill you and other people step in and take over.

I dont believe we need Bennett, would i like him to be with the team, YES? But he knows he can start somewhere, he deserves his opportunity and surly he will get it. Onterrio fits nicely in our offensive system and Moore looks like a solid back also. Someday Onterrio could mean as much to this offense as culpepper or moss, i think he has a bright future in the NFL. I dont think the drugs will be a problem anymore, i believe it when he says he's done. He likes the spotlight and he doestn want to sit out anymore games.

scorptile
11-09-2004, 01:15 AM
lol the sad thing is everyone i know said bennett was the next robert smith..well one thing that is the same is they are flat out runners....not very good at cutting or throwing off defenders...but moore, smith and williams do all those things and both moore and smith can flat out run as well...

Vikes
11-09-2004, 01:28 AM
"MossWilliamsHenderson" wrote:

Hey nothing last forever yea it's time to dump him. You know what the Vikings needs is a Big name Middle LB. The Middle LB sets the tone for the D.

hawaiianvike21
11-09-2004, 03:01 AM
The only way we trade bennett and i agree with the colts fan is if we can get someone good on defense like a mlb hes talking about or another shutdown corner to add with williams and winfield.

HarrisonB57
11-09-2004, 08:31 AM
Our LBs really were the problem last night on D. Edge was running like crazy all night and recivers were wide open underneath our DBs. The first touchdown that marcus pollard scored(when he ran into the flats) was all the outside LBs fault. Mike natteil was one that really had a bad game. Wish raonall wasn't hurt again, he was staring to make some plays.

cajunvike
11-09-2004, 08:39 AM
LBs are young, so we gotta cut them some slack...plus they were playing against a QB that can pick anyone apart...it is not like Peyton had 400 yards, so overall the LBs and DBs didn't do too bad. The real problem was the mistakes that the team made...missed tackles, burning timeouts unnecessarily, stupid penalties...we cannot beat anyone if we don't stop beating ourselves.

little redhead
11-09-2004, 09:18 AM
Yes our linebackers are young but they are really what is not clicking on defense. Granted I know a lot has to do with injury. Clairborne is he ever going to play again too bad he is always hurt because he makes a lot of plays when he is in. He would have been a asset last night. The sad part is Chavous and Brian Russell aren't able to do what they did last year because they are always having to help cover the linebackers mistakes. We haven't hear a lot about Russell and Chavous making very many plays. I don't care what they do if they practice the linebackers 24/7 or whatever it takes they need to play better or we aren't going to go very far this year again and we are going to have a repeat of last year. Who is our linebackers coach perhaps he needs to go because he doesn't seem to be able to help correct the mistakes that are being made by the linebacking core week in and week out. Other areas have had to make due with injuries and stepping up there play but this linebacking core just can't seem to get the job done.

cajunvike
11-09-2004, 09:59 AM
"little redhead" wrote:

Yes our linebackers are young but they are really what is not clicking on defense. Granted I know a lot has to do with injury. Clairborne is he ever going to play again too bad he is always hurt because he makes a lot of plays when he is in. He would have been a asset last night. The sad part is Chavous and Brian Russell aren't able to do what they did last year because they are always having to help cover the linebackers mistakes. We haven't hear a lot about Russell and Chavous making very many plays. I don't care what they do if they practice the linebackers 24/7 or whatever it takes they need to play better or we aren't going to go very far this year again and we are going to have a repeat of last year. Who is our linebackers coach perhaps he needs to go because he doesn't seem to be able to help correct the mistakes that are being made by the linebacking core week in and week out. Other areas have had to make due with injuries and stepping up there play but this linebacking core just can't seem to get the job done.

Have we even had the same three LBs in more than one game playing together...it seems that every week, we have one or another out because of injury...part of the problem has to be that they are not used to playing together as a unit...I would have to agree that they need to practice more, but I would focus the practices on Tackling, Tackling, Tackling!!!

The linebacker corps needs to develop, but that will only really happen with game experience (unfortunately)...we are experiencing growing pains and that is inevitable with such a young D...I have heard it said that a defense cannot be cobbled together, that it only gets better with playing together, so once they get some games under their belts as a UNIT, we will see a rise in their level of play...I could care less where they are ranked at the end of the year, I am more concerned with the level that they are playing come playoff time...if they can step it up and perform like a top 10 defense when it counts (with the season under their belts), we could go a long way into the playoffs...the thing that we need the most is for them to be healthy come playoff time...injuries are always the difference maker.

snowinapril
11-09-2004, 10:07 AM
Bennett is still the best on the screen.

The blockers don't have to hold the blocks as long.

He gets through so fast. I still like him on 3rd and long for running and screens.

Anyway, I was the biggest Bennett supporter the whole season.

The saddest part is that he won't get a chance to show us what he can do. I am willing to believe that he is finally healed.

little redhead
11-09-2004, 10:13 AM
You are right they are young. Again you are correct when you say they have probably not had the same three linebackers together in a full game but it gets frustrating when you know that it is the linebackers that are the glaring problem on the defense. I know they need time but it doesn't look like they are truly trying to fix the mistakes these guys are making I am sure they are but it really doesn't look like they are taking the extra strides to fix the same mistakes that are being made by these young guys game after game. If the linebacking core starts clicking then I guarantee the rest of the defense will look better. Unfortunately right now everyone is having to try to cover for the mistakes these young guys are making or having to worry about these linebackers not being in the right spots I think that is the biggest problem on the defense is other players having to cover these guys mistakes and also not trusting in these linebackers to be where they are suppose to make the plays. I know there isn't a lot we can do about it as you are correct they just need more time to work together but they also need to show they are making some progress and not making the same mistakes over and over and for gods sake tackle tackle tackle... That goes for the defense as a whole. What are we going to do about Claiborne he is a playmaker when he is in but he hardly plays because he is always hurt. Also my response to the original topic in this post is yes we can get rid of Bennett. Onterrio looked great last night and Mewelde showed that he can play with the big boys and then we have Moe for a another year or so and he is always reliable and steady. Bennett didn't show a whole lot the last few times he has been in and we can live without him and his salary. Pick up a experienced linebacker next year if for no other reason to add some experience to a talented but inexperienced linebacking core. What was wrong with McKinnie last night he better have a better game against the pack he outright got his ass handed to him more then once last night by that little number 93 dude can't remember his name off the top of my head.

PAvikesfan
11-09-2004, 10:20 AM
nothing sad about it... other than he reminds me of the honorable robert smith, i say trade him away... maybe we can get someone to replace newman or claiborne.

ADubya26
11-09-2004, 10:34 AM
Maybe the Dolphins will take him? I dont know what they would give for him, but their 1st round pick would be nice. Doubt it though

ADubya26
11-09-2004, 10:35 AM
On second thought, definitely not on that Dolphins trade..they are probably going to get the 1st pick!

little redhead
11-09-2004, 10:37 AM
Yeah the Dolphins are having a little problem this year. Now their coach is stepping down can't imagine being them right now. Who knows maybe they will give up something big to get a decent running back. Michael Bennett is still good it is just that he really doesn't fit with the plans I don't think anymore now that our younger guys have stepped up and out played him.

HarrisonB57
11-10-2004, 06:01 PM
I think if the dolphins trade their pick, they should get a lot more than one player. They have got a LOT of holes to fill

CT Viking Man
11-10-2004, 06:14 PM
Bennett definitely is a good back and definitely could start elsewhere but his injury problems indicate he needs to be traded. perhaps if he gets more reps he will be able to market himself to some teams for a possible trade in the offseason. If Onterrio can lay off the grass, he and Mewelde Moore will be a great combination. Definitely Onterrio will be a bright spot for the future. It is great the Vikings have been able to be so effective running the ball for most of this year without having a true said go-to back. Onterrio was laying is claim to that title before he serve the suspension. The Vikes were fortunate to have Mewelde perform the way he did especially after Moss went down in the Saints game.

Odin VAVikefan
11-10-2004, 07:44 PM
Our LB's are indeed young, and they do in fact have potential. However, this team should be looking to pull another Winfield-esque deal to get a PRO-BOWL linebacker or two. Our defense is so badly in need of dominating defensive leadership, we need to ditch the "grow the above average rookies" mentality and get out there and sign a player on the level of Urlacher, Barrow, Brooking, Zach Thomas, etc.. There's a problem when the #1 tackler on the team is a DB. We need a Top 10 MLB, and it would be a really nice bonus to nab a top-level OLB as well. We should be willing to toss out a huge contract and possibly add draft picks or other players; it's that important to defensive development. Ray Lewis makes the entire Ravens D step up to a higher level...

ultravikingfan
11-10-2004, 07:46 PM
What do you think that we can get for him? He is injury prone, and a lot of teams are gonna try to get a good deal for him by making light of that. What about draft picks?

mvikes84
11-11-2004, 11:02 PM
Easy on trading Bennett. O. Smith is one positive drug test away from being suspended for a full season. Mewelde Moore just got done missing a game because of an INJURY! Plus he is still an UNPROVEN ROOKIE. I say keep Bennett.

NeoVikesTX
11-11-2004, 11:21 PM
Good point mvikes84!

I say keep Bennett, unless some team makes us a great offer.

VikingsTw
11-12-2004, 01:48 AM
I cant believe you guys want to bail on EJ already. Hes only in his second year, and he's barly started 6 or 7 games. Wait till he starts making plays then everbody will be all over his balls. EJ is young, he has alot to learn, hes got to learn to be more vocal. What do you expect from the dude, new defensive scheme and cordinator, hes in his second year. He's not gonna come out and play like ray lewis. Give him a chance, he is the best tackling LB we have. I dont think EJ's grow on trees so lets just be patient with him.

enlvikeman
11-13-2004, 02:52 PM
I'd be happy to get a high second or third round pick for Bennet.

mark
11-13-2004, 03:03 PM
Bennett is my favorite player and I think watching him break a run is amazing but Im starting to think Smith is going to be an elite back. I dont know if we should trade Bennett but Im confident in all the backs.Hopefully Bennett blows up this week so peoples memory will be refreshed on how good he could be

mvikes84
11-13-2004, 09:01 PM
thanks NeoVikes TX. mark, I would love to see bennett break a big one!

VikingsTw
11-14-2004, 12:57 AM
"mark" wrote:

Bennett is my favorite player and I think watching him break a run is amazing but Im starting to think Smith is going to be an elite back. I dont know if we should trade Bennett but Im confident in all the backs.Hopefully Bennett blows up this week so peoples memory will be refreshed on how good he could be

Mark, I'm alot like you, Bennett has been one of my favorite players on the vikings, his jersey was my first viking jersey and i had a selection. Bennett is explosives but i wonder about elusiveness and vision at times. Alot of times I see O's moves and the way he gets to the second level, i look at that and say, bennett proly would not be able to do that.

Look at bennett's first year then look at O's first year, look at bennett four years later (know). What will O look like in four years, he could be an elite RB in this league in a couple more years.

I would love to see bennett brake a long one but he doesnt have the raw tools that O has. If he had O's elusivness and vision he would be the best in the league.

UTVikfan
11-14-2004, 02:15 AM
Oh darn, I just read on hmmm, I think ESPN.com that Bennett is starting. You know the injured one? The last injury prone RB we had was Robert Smith. He had both knee's done. You DO remember that right??? I think Bennett is going to remind people why he is still here. Oh yeah, WHY is he starting. Well, the non-injury prone ROOKIE Mewelde Moore is, well, injured. And the druggie non-injury prone Onterio Smith is, well, injured. O. Smith did not make a pro-bowl his first year. I think it is just time, with Bennett. I love O. Smith and especially MM. I knew MM was something special the first time I saw him play in pre-season. But, imo Bennett will be the starter. We will see I guess.

mark
11-14-2004, 09:32 AM
I hear what you guys are saying about his vision. I remember last year he said he cant see past his big lineman so he just looks at there feet.I really wish I didnt here him say that but I still think he is a pro bowl back.He gets the start today so this could be the last time Tice gives him a chance if he even gets more than 5 carries.Id like to see about 15 and aboud 5 or 6 passes thrown his way. By the way can you remember the last time they tossed one to him. Its on today.

VikingsTw
11-14-2004, 12:55 PM
LETS DO IT BENNETT!!!! Show the pack who is daddy!