PDA

View Full Version : With fiery Tomlin in Pittsburgh, Vikings turn to quiet Frazier to run defense

singersp
07-31-2007, 06:41 AM
With fiery Tomlin in Pittsburgh, Vikings turn to quiet Frazier to run defense (http://www.usatoday.com/sports/football/2007-07-30-102980174_x.htm)

Posted 11h 10m ago

By Jon Krawczynski, AP Sports Writer

MANKATO, Minn. — It sure is quiet on the defensive side of the ball during Minnesota Vikings training camp these days...

Marrdro
07-31-2007, 06:57 AM
Nice read.
It appears we have a fine group of coaches under the Chiller again this year (Frazier/Rogers/Bevell and that guy coaching he WR).

Sure hope they don't get in the way of the Vets teaching all these young guys how to play the game.
(Sorry couldn't resist a bit of sarcasim/levity
;D)

TeamSoftware
07-31-2007, 09:05 AM
"But obviously he's a good coach and he did a good job. You oversee that. You don't micromanage that."
-- Childress

Lets just hope Childress gives the offensive coaches a bit more freedom and hopefully the offense won't be so predictable this year.

COJOMAY
07-31-2007, 09:21 AM
I think the Vikes were might fortunate to get Frazier. I can't figure out why he left the Colts for a lateral position unless it was a matter of more money.

Json
07-31-2007, 09:34 AM
I think the Vikes were might fortunate to get Frazier. I can't figure out why he left the Colts for a lateral position unless it was a matter of more money.

Because Minnesota is the place to be silly
;D

PurpleTide
07-31-2007, 09:43 AM
Frazier as a ex DB will improve our Tampa-2 style defense. We will improve our pass defense as we have a abundant amount of new DB's Edwards, McCauley, Gordon, and Whitaker all fighting for spots on the roster. Our DE's will get better pressure this year with a good rotation of Scott, Mitchell, Edwards, Smith, and the rookie Robison spelling our starters Udeze and James. We already will have a pocket collapsing pair of DT's. So we should get plenty of pressure on the opposing QB this year. That should translate into more turn-overs, and more short field chances for our offense.

NodakPaul
07-31-2007, 09:46 AM
I just can't wait to see the blitzing that Frazier is known for!

Marrdro
07-31-2007, 09:48 AM
"PurpleTide" wrote:

Frazier as a ex DB will improve our Tampa-2 style defense. We will improve our pass defense as we have a abundant amount of new DB's Edwards, McCauley, Gordon, and Whitaker all fighting for spots on the roster. Our DE's will get better pressure this year with a good rotation of Scott, Mitchell, Edwards, Smith, and the rookie Robison spelling our starters Udeze and James. We already will have a pocket collapsing pair of DT's. So we should get plenty of pressure on the opposing QB this year. That should translate into more turn-overs, and more short field chances for our offense.

I'm not so sure about that. K-will yes, Phat Pat, not so sure.

vikingivan
07-31-2007, 10:13 AM
"COJOMAY" wrote:

Cojo, Ron Meeks is the Defensive Coordinator in Indy.
He has been for six years.
Frazier did not make a lateral move.
He got advancement with our Defensive Coordinator position.

jmcdon00
07-31-2007, 10:38 AM
Hopefully the players learned from Tomlin and will be able to keep the energy level high, even if the coach doesn't. I think it will be important for the vets on defense to step up and become leaders.

ItalianStallion
07-31-2007, 10:56 AM
"COJOMAY" wrote:

I think Frazier was the secondary coach in Indy, whereas he is the defensive coordinator here.
That is a promotion.

TARKenton
07-31-2007, 11:31 AM
^^^that is correct.
frazier was the DB coach in Indy.

vikingivan
07-31-2007, 11:35 AM
He likes to get to the QB.
The Blitz will leave our corners on an island by themselves if we don't get to the QB fast enough, but I am all for it.

Marrdro
07-31-2007, 11:44 AM
"vikingivan" wrote:

He likes to get to the QB.
The Blitz will leave our corners on an island by themselves if we don't get to the QB fast enough, but I am all for it.

There shouldn't be alot of the CB' out on an island if he sticks with the T2 Defense.

Physical cornerbacks also are vital to an effective Tampa Two, because their job is to handle wideouts at the line of scrimmage and disrupt them in the five-yard zone. Gone is the pure clampdown corner, the guy who can be left on an island to shut down a wideout. Think: Deion Sanders. In truth, Deion would struggle in the Tampa Two, because physical play was never his strength. But Sanders was a rare talent who could cover NFL wideouts and take them out of the game. The dearth of such players, according to former Eagles' QB (and current ESPN chalkhead) Ron Jaworski, was one of the factors that led to the popularity of Tampa Two.

Couple of links with good stuff like what I pulled if your interested in reading about it.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2006/writers/tim_layden/11/21/tampa.two/1.html
http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=2271514

seaniemck7
07-31-2007, 01:54 PM
"ItalianStallion" wrote:

"COJOMAY" wrote:

I think Frazier was the secondary coach in Indy, whereas he is the defensive coordinator here.
That is a promotion.

Correct.
He also held the title of Asst Head Coach position, but thats a lame ass title -- evidenced by Mike Tice last year in Jax.
;)