PDA

View Full Version : Onterrio Needs a BIG One

ADubya26
11-08-2004, 10:59 AM
In my opinion, Onterrio needs to have the game of his life tonight if we want to win this one. I think he will be nice and fresh since he has been off for 4 weeks now, so he should be bursting at the seems to get out there. When players get suspended, do they still get to practice with the team?

VKG4LFE
11-08-2004, 11:26 AM
I don't think they get to practice with the team. I thought that I read something that said he has been going to the weight room everyday with a strength coach over his suspension.

UTVikfan
11-08-2004, 11:39 AM
That is what I have read also, VKG. I hope it is Bennett that has the game of his life, personally. Rushing TD's make DB's play on their heels. That is deadly against us. I hope Kelly C. decideds to play burner today, as well.

SKOL
11-08-2004, 11:41 AM
I heard on the news last night that Onterrio has buffed himself up, and he's pumped. They also said next to Moss he's the most confident player on the team. He has to have a big night tonight, and no turnovers by the offense... PLEASE

snowinapril
11-08-2004, 11:48 AM
He couldn't be anywhere near the team the whole suspension. Wherever he was working out it was not on site. I think they sent or he had to hire his own personal trainers to work with him.

WE DON'T EVEN KNOW HOW MUCH TICE WILL PLAY HIM TONIGHT.

If he plays more than just 3rd Downs, this will show us how much Tice thinks of Bennett. It will also prove that Tice is a hypocrit and a liar. Telling Bennett he has to work his way back in and then bring Smith back to get the majority of carries after a drug suspension. He hasn't practiced with the team for 4 weeks. The only way he could justify it is if he says this "Smith had an excellent week of practice and was right back in rhythm." But why didn't he just say for the N.O. game that Moore just out performed Bennett.

My guess is that Bennett starts and plays most of the carries. We will see Smith in certain situations.

I hope OUR RBs all contribute a lot at a high level.

elgordo
11-08-2004, 12:06 PM
I think that Tice has had enough of Bennett and his injuries. : :drunken: Tice has little sympothy for players that he thinks should be able to play and sit out longer than he thinks is necessary. My guess is that with Moore a little banged up....O. Smith will get the majority of the carries and will have a great game.[/b]

PurpleReign
11-08-2004, 12:11 PM
He couldn't be anywhere near the team the whole suspension. Wherever he was working out it was not on site. I think they sent or he had to hire his own personal trainers to work with him.

That's no longer true. One of the rule changes this year, is players can do everything WITH the team, except practice. So SOD was at Winter park everyday working out with the strength coaches.

Moe Williams was just on PA and Dubay and said as much.

Allowing players who are suspended to be with the team and increasing the practice squad size were two major rule changes this last off-season.

Kleinsasser40
11-08-2004, 12:16 PM
Is onterrio starting? I would think that Tice would start Bennett and let O smith jsut hae a few carries because he is retarded and is doing drugs.

PurpleReign
11-08-2004, 12:19 PM
Tice has given many strong indications that BOTH will be on the field at the same time at several point of the game.

I assume both will get 15 carries or so, and line up at H-back or WR at times.

cajunvike
11-08-2004, 12:55 PM
I want to see whomever is the most effective out there, so if Bennett starts and does nothing, then pull his a$$ out and put in MM, if MM does nothing, then put in Onterrio...Bennett's injuries should be irrelevant, now that his is healthy. You can't just sit him on the bench, because he might get hurt again...he needs to be out there producing for the team and needs carries to do that.

BTW, welcome to the board PurpleReign....purple reign, purple reign, wooooo....purple reign, purple reign...

snowinapril
11-08-2004, 01:02 PM
Moore -
Nov. 07 - QUESTIONABLE (Ankle)
Detail: Moore will miss Monday's game to rest his sprained ankle.
Edge: Onterrio Smith will likely start and split carries.

There is a lot of conflicting information. Tice is doing his best to run the reporters ragged.

Thanks for the clarification about the new rules.

VikingsTw
11-08-2004, 02:16 PM
Yeah, moore is out of this game, I've changed my mind somewhat (like every five minutes), maybe onterrio should take the bulk of carries. I really like what the steelers did yesterday, they ran ran ran, then used the passing game when they needed it. They wore down the eagles defense by running right at them and controling the clock, it was a beutiful game plan, i hope the vikes have something similair to that. Use the run to set up the passing game. It's what we will have to do without Moss.

Onterrio was at winter park during his suspension, like purple rain said, he was working out, he also attended team meating, he quoted "i didnt practice but i went to ever meeting, i was around the guys, i just couldn't practice, but i havn't missed a beat" (something like that). Anyways he's ready to rock!!

purplehorn
11-08-2004, 02:31 PM
"snowinapril" wrote:

. It will also prove that Tice is a hypocrit and a liar. .

That's a bit harsh don't you think? Because Micheal has not put
up the kind of numbers expected and Smith has when he played
I don't think it proves anything. Personally I don't think Tice is either.
He seems like a pretty straight up guy. :roll:

mark
11-08-2004, 03:06 PM
Bennett could break this game open. Were going to need his big play ability with no moss.Onterio would do just fine but I thing bennett on turf could be a game breaker. I also think oud D will suprise some people tonight. 30-20 viks win

ADubya26
11-08-2004, 03:14 PM
I hope youre right mark....I was thinkink about our defense stepping it up tonight also and proving some people wrong. Whether it be Bennett, Onterrio, Culpepper, Campbell, our Defense or whatever it may be, we need something extra tonight! GO VIKES!!

snowinapril
11-08-2004, 03:37 PM
"purplehorn" wrote:

"snowinapril" wrote:

. It will also prove that Tice is a hypocrit and a liar. .

That's a bit harsh don't you think? Because Micheal has not put
up the kind of numbers expected and Smith has when he played
I don't think it proves anything. Personally I don't think Tice is either.
He seems like a pretty straight up guy. :roll:

It is a bit harsh. But in this day of reporting and the answers that all sound the same. The rehearsed answers. The one that is the same answer from every member on the team. I realize it is like this because if you give the media too much, your game plan is out or the media is starting controversy over who is the starter. He just doesn't want controversy destroying his team.

I also don't think he is as straight up guy as you think. He wants you to think that. I am trying not to listen to him anymore.

SKOL
11-08-2004, 03:46 PM
"mark" wrote:

I also think oud D will suprise some people tonight. 30-20 viks win

I also hope you're right mark..., personally I don't see the Colts scoring less than 30 points. The only way they score less is if we're able to control the ball and clock with no turnovers. I just hope our offense is up to the task.

josdin00
11-08-2004, 03:52 PM
"snowinapril" wrote:

WE DON'T EVEN KNOW HOW MUCH TICE WILL PLAY HIM TONIGHT.

If he plays more than just 3rd Downs, this will show us how much Tice thinks of Bennett. It will also prove that Tice is a hypocrit and a liar. Telling Bennett he has to work his way back in and then bring Smith back to get the majority of carries after a drug suspension. He hasn't practiced with the team for 4 weeks. The only way he could justify it is if he says this "Smith had an excellent week of practice and was right back in rhythm." But why didn't he just say for the N.O. game that Moore just out performed Bennett.

My guess is that Bennett starts and plays most of the carries. We will see Smith in certain situations.

I hope OUR RBs all contribute a lot at a high level.

My understanding is that Tice thought the offense was in a rhythm with Moore, and didn't want to disrupt that. So, he wanted Bennett to earn his way back by showing that the offense wouldn't skip a beat with him in there. With Moore sitting out this game, that statement no longer applies. My guess is that he'll try both Bennett and Smith early in the game, and then go with the style runner that seems to have more success against what Indy throws at them.

I'd like to see both of them in the game for a few plays, and motion one or the other out into the slot. Smith has shown that he can catch the ball out of the backfield, and Bennett could make good use of his speed from the slot position. In fact, if Bennett motions out, and gets a matchup against a linebacker, that's a mis-match that we could expoit all night.

AngloVike
11-08-2004, 04:32 PM
One good thing with them both is the difference in styles which may be beneficial tonight with Moss being out.
I somehow thing that the Indy secondary are expecting a quieter night tonight with no Moss so might be a good thing thing to give them a dose of Bennett and Smith.

The game's on live here tonight and I'm pulling a night shift, so I'm praying for few phone calls and plenty of Vikes TDs... my workmate here looked in horror tonight when I walked into the office wearing my #11 jersey. He just said " football tonight? ".. when I answered yes he just shook his head and realised it could be noisy in here if we start running the points up .... :cheers: :cheers:

snowinapril
11-08-2004, 05:17 PM
I wish we were a little more physical in our running game so anytime we wanted to run we could run. When Moss goes down we can run. I got a feeling that if we get the ball first, we will do a little ball control.

I like Pittsburg's style, they pass when they want and run over everyone. I like the pass offense we have but I think we rely on it too much sometimes then we get frustrated when we try to run and can't like last week. We didn't get to run a lot becasue we were behind but when we did it didn't look pretty.

AngloVike
11-08-2004, 05:31 PM
"snowinapril" wrote:

I wish we were a little more physical in our running game so anytime we wanted to run we could run. When Moss goes down we can run. I got a feeling that if we get the ball first, we will do a little ball control.

I like Pittsburg's style, they pass when they want and run over everyone. I like the pass offense we have but I think we rely on it too much sometimes then we get frustrated when we try to run and can't like last week. We didn't get to run a lot becasue we were behind but when we did it didn't look pretty.
It is good at time to just run the ball and see the RBs running straight at and over the defenders. As you say there is a danger of relying too much on the passing game - as exciting as it can be

LosAngelis
11-08-2004, 05:40 PM
Well, I'm down 18 points in my fantasy league, and I'm starting Culpepper, Ontarrio, and Edgerrin James tonight. So, let's have a rushing shootout for touchdowns and have Indy win by one point in overtime...

Is that possible?

ADubya26
11-08-2004, 05:46 PM
Our O line needs to step it up HUGE tonight...the reason the Steelers can run so well is because the line gives them monster holes to run through. Give Bennett or Onterrio that hole and they could be trouble tonight. We have to pound it down their throat and force those DBs to respect the run. If we can't establish the run, were kinda screwed. I have faith!

Foreman44
11-08-2004, 05:55 PM
Onterrio's blocking and pass catching ability will be needed tonight
Bennett can definitely play a role here with his speed on the turf but I'd like to see Onterrio in there for the most part for his pass catching skills out of the backfield which will give Daunte the option to go to him if the other receivers are covered. Bottom line though in this one is if the DEFENSE can somehow come together and have their best game off the season. Tall order for sure against Manning & co but I'm hopeful. Us Vikings fans have to be ya know :colors:

VikingsTw
11-08-2004, 06:03 PM
Bennett is also a very good blocker, hes getting better all the time, he was looking great in the offseason and what not, like i said before he was the starter coming into camp, it doesnt happen by accident, hes something specail and i hope he gets his oppotunities. We do need his explosiveness with moss out, thats very true. Bennett knows the offense very well so that intreges (sp) me even more.

Hell i dont know i cant make up my mind!!!!

Bennett Onterrio Bennett Onterrio

Ahhh how bout some of both!

TheAnimal93
11-08-2004, 06:22 PM
i cant wait to see how this plays out. a wild game for sure. ARE YOU READY FOR SOME FOOTBALL!!!???????????

snowinapril
11-08-2004, 07:30 PM
Well ESPN said Tice jokingly said that they will run 50 times tonight. That is what I like to hear.

Let's see if he was telling the truth instead of joking.

Go Vikes