PDA

View Full Version : Best battles brewing on the Vikings' depth chart

singersp
07-25-2007, 07:06 AM
Best battles brewing on the depth chart (http://www.startribune.com/vikings/story/1322078.html)

Five Vikings position competitions to keep an eye on as training camp progresses.

By Judd Zulgad, Star Tribune

Last update: July 24, 2007 – 7:51 PM

Marrdro
07-25-2007, 07:28 AM
Training camp should be interesting, to say the least.
;D

V-Unit
07-25-2007, 10:01 AM
Nickle Back: McCauley will win
WR: TWill and Wade will start. Rice in on 3 WR sets, moving Wade to slot.
RT: Cook wins
LDE: Scott wins
RDE: Edwards wins

Remember, you heard it here first.

jmcdon00
07-25-2007, 10:29 AM
What about tjack/bollinger. I know tjack is the fan favorite but I thought the they were going to let them compete for the job.

Vikestand
07-25-2007, 10:40 AM
I am going to be fired up if they don't let T-Will start. That was the whole point of NOT picking up a QB this offseason. I mean if he wasnt slated to start then why would we not have picked Brady Quinn?

jmcdon00
07-25-2007, 10:49 AM
"Vikestand" wrote:

I am going to be fired up if they don't let T-Will start. That was the whole point of NOT picking up a QB this offseason. I mean if he wasnt slated to start then why would we not have picked Brady Quinn?

Because we had the 7th overall and Quinn went 22nd overall. And because Peterson should have been a top5 pick. And because the coaching staff like tjack and bollinger. And because tjack even if not ready now should be ready in a couple of years. And because Brady Quinn sucks.

Vikestand
07-25-2007, 11:03 AM
If our coaching staff likes Bollinger we are in trouble. Stop being in denial! I wasn't questioning our pick of AP. But if Bollinger starts I will have a huge problem. And hopefully everybody else has one also. I can see the potential in Tjack, but Bollinger is a 2nd or 3rd string QB at the most. If Brad comes out and says that Bollinger is our starter, we might as well start preparing for next year. I am just being realistic.

Vikestand
07-25-2007, 11:11 AM
Also, I hate Notre Dame. But atleast Weiss has installed a NFL style offense there. The reason I think Quinn will be far more impressive that Russell is the fact is that he is more NFL ready. And you are selling him short for the fact that he should have gone top 3, but Browns had everything worked out perfectly. Just because he didnt go top 5 doesnt mean a thing, you can come up with pages of players taken in the top 5 that have gone on to sell cars.

Mr Anderson
07-25-2007, 11:14 AM
Starting WRs: Williamson and Wade. Rice replaces Wade in the red zone. There's no mention of Allison in the article. Personally, I see us keeping Lowber on the squad, but I don't know what kind of playing time he'll get. This group of receivers really has potential. Burners in Williamson, Allison(who has burner speed but can do a lot more than just run, he'll be great in the underneath routes with his quickness), and Lowber. A good slasher type receiver (I compare him to Torry Holt) In Wade. And a big red zone guy who's gonna go up and get the ball in Rice.
RT: Cook(hopefully Johnson at guard)
Nickel CB: McCauley. I think he could make a run at the starting spot over Griffin honestly. He's extremely talented. Fast, athletic, tackles well, if he plays as good as he can he'll be a great corner.

The rest of the battles I'm not too concerned with, RDE and LDE, just because I don't think it will make a big difference if Udeze or Scott starts, although I would like to see Robison get some playing time. But when James returns he'll get the bulk of the plays.

jmcdon00
07-25-2007, 11:16 AM
"Vikestand" wrote:

If our coaching staff likes Bollinger we are in trouble. Stop being in denial! I wasn't questioning our pick of AP. But if Bollinger starts I will have a huge problem. And hopefully everybody else has one also. I can see the potential in Tjack, but Bollinger is a 2nd or 3rd string QB at the most. If Brad comes out and says that Bollinger is our starter, we might as well start preparing for next year. I am just being realistic.

I think week one against the falcons Bollinger probably gives us a better chance to win, because he has experience. Still the upside with Tjack is far higher. But lets remember too that Chilli likes Bollinger and that is why he went out and aquired him.

As far as getting Quinn maybe we should have drafted peterson and then traded our 2nd and 3rd picks to move up, but taking him at #7 would have been a mistake. I don't think Quinn or Russel will be that good.

Perch56
07-25-2007, 12:16 PM
the best battles are going to be for the safety spot followed by the DEs. we have good talent at both of those postions.

tb04512
07-25-2007, 12:44 PM
Former Vikings coach Mike Tice used to talk about the similarities he saw between Johnson and former Vikings All-Pro guard Randall McDaniel

yeah because hes a guard NOT a tackle, when will they start to realize this?

WinonaVike
07-25-2007, 01:36 PM
"tb04512" wrote:

Former Vikings coach Mike Tice used to talk about the similarities he saw between Johnson and former Vikings All-Pro guard Randall McDaniel

Ive wondered this too. If Johnson is solid at guard put him in there for Hicks, why try and make him something he isnt.

V-Unit
07-25-2007, 02:45 PM
"WinonaVike" wrote:

"tb04512" wrote:

Ive wondered this too. If Johnson is solid at guard put him in there for Hicks, why try and make him something he isnt.

Because Hicks is one of "Childress' Guys."

Duh

jessejames09
07-25-2007, 05:52 PM
Marcus was a guard in coolege.
And he was originally supposed to be a guard for us i believe.

Mr Anderson
07-25-2007, 09:22 PM
"tb04512" wrote:

I don't know when they will, but I've been saying it about once a week.

Overlord
07-25-2007, 10:03 PM
"tb04512" wrote:

Just because Johnson played guard most of the time in college doesn't mean he should be playing guard in the NFL.
Tice actually started him at guard his rookie season, but something happened.
He got owned.
He simply wasn't strong enough at that point to handle NFL defensive tackles.
Tice was the one that moved him to tackle at the end of his rookie season.
Childress has merely kept him there (http://vikings.scout.com/2/548899.html).

I don't know if he would do better at guard now, but I think the current administration likes him at tackle.
I trust their judgment in this matter much more than I trust the reasons put forth by those that want him back at guard.

Also, just so people know, he was projected to either position coming out of college (http://www.nfl.com/draft/profiles/2005/johnson_marcus).

bigdaddy72_1
07-25-2007, 10:06 PM
I do believe that M. Johnson was indeed drafted to play guard. This is where he is a better player, and would definitely do a better job that A. Hicks. Hicks is a joke. He is an ok pass protector, at best, and is an a very lacking run blocker. M. Johnson is a much better pass protector, especially moving to the interior of the line, and is a developing bullduzer as a run blocker. I think that Cook has shown that he has the ability to play the tackle position, and will improve with experience. I believe that if the Vikings were to start B. McKinnie, S. Hutchinson, M. Birk, M. Johnson, & R. Cook and have J. Kleinsasser at TE, it would allow the rest of the offense to improve through experience by creating some sort of foundation to start from. The running game would be better than it was last year, far better, and the passing game would at least have the best possible protection.

As long as our 3rd down play this year isn't a throw for negative yardage I will at least be able to consider that improvements were made.

As far as QB: Tjack should be given the opportunity to show what he can do. His starts were at the end of a fledgling season. And I for one am not quick to forget how exciting it was to watch him through lazers when he was brought in at different times as a relief to the old timer. I think that Tjack disserves to have at least as much excitement surrounding him as there was last yeat when he was drafted.

CB: McCauley should win this battle with athleticism. The best part of this battle is that either way we have a pretty solid group of CBs on the field no matter what situation it is. Our Dime coverage should be much stronger than it was last year.

DE: Both these battles I view as pretty wide open. I can only hope that Udeze returns to previous form and that James stays healthy. Otherwise, we still have some good depth, but not any stand out playmaker.

WR: I honestly don'y know what to say about our WR situation. I like to think that the issue has been respectably addressed, but only time and results can tell. I will just continue to cross my finger, say my prayers, and hope for the best.

S: It's all good!

duvaldomo
07-25-2007, 10:12 PM
"jmcdon00" wrote:

"Vikestand" wrote:

Because we had the 7th overall and Quinn went 22nd overall. And because Peterson should have been a top5 pick. And because the coaching staff like tjack and bollinger. And because tjack even if not ready now should be ready in a couple of years. And because Brady Quinn sucks.

Quinn was still the 2nd QB taken, there just wasnt any team in need of a QB. But I agree Person should of been top 5 and the staffs do like Tjack

singersp
07-26-2007, 08:18 AM
Published July 25, 2007 11:51 pm

Vikings notebook: Tackles ready to compete (http://www.mankatofreepress.com/sports/local_story_206235126.html?keyword=topstory)

By Chad Courrier
The Free Press

Off the field, Ryan Cook and Marcus Johnson are friends, but during practices, the Vikings right tackles compete hard, knowing only one of them will be the starter when the season opens Sept. 9.......

singersp
07-27-2007, 06:58 AM
VIKINGS: LET THE SPARRING BEGIN (http://www.twincities.com/vikings/ci_6474756)

The competition for playing time starts today for 10 players whose fortunes could play a big role in trying to rebound from a 6-10 season.

BY DON SEEHOLZER
Pioneer Press
Article Launched: 07/27/2007 12:01:00 AM CDT

spunk_goblin
07-27-2007, 11:13 AM
Nickel Back: McCauley should win that, but I'm a big fan of Dovonte and this should be a very close shout between the two of these.

WRs: Think it has to be Williamson and Wade, for now at least. Rice has a great deal of ability, but I'd be very surprised if he rose above no.3 on the depth chart

Right Tackle: I don't really like Johnson. but he'll probably get the spot

DEs: Udeze will hopefully perform better if he's moved to left tackle, so I'd keep with him and I expect Edwards to get the RE job until James is fit.

V-Unit
09-08-2007, 09:14 PM
"V" wrote:

Well, how did I do?

duvaldomo
09-08-2007, 10:15 PM
"V" wrote:

"V" wrote:

Well, how did I do?

Not sure about Nickle back
Twill and Wade is starting
Cook is starting
Udeze over scott
Ray edwards win

Not bad
:P