PDA

View Full Version : Are Vikings a better football team?



singersp
07-25-2007, 06:39 AM
Are Vikings a better football team? (http://www.startribune.com/510/story/1322096.html)

By Kevin Seifert, Star Tribune

Last update: July 25, 2007 – 12:08 AM

"The Minnesota Vikings will be a better football team this year. that’s my strong belief."
— Brad Childress, March 2007

As the saying goes, 'If you’re not getting better ...’ well, you know the rest....

singersp
07-25-2007, 06:42 AM
Newcomers who could make an impact (http://www.startribune.com/vikings/story/1322080.html)

A look at five newcomers the Vikings hope can step in and produce right away.

By Judd Zulgad, Star Tribune

Last update: July 24, 2007 – 7:46 PM

singersp
07-25-2007, 06:44 AM
"singersp" wrote:


Newcomers who could make an impact (http://www.startribune.com/vikings/story/1322080.html)

A look at five newcomers the Vikings hope can step in and produce right away.

By Judd Zulgad, Star Tribune

Last update: July 24, 2007 – 7:46 PM




Let's not forget about Chad Greenway either. Perhaps even Tank. Neither played last year during the regular season.

ultravikingfan
07-25-2007, 06:50 AM
Saying they are a better team is not even possible yet.
That is not decided on by looking at "what ifs" but by play on the field.

singersp
07-25-2007, 07:16 AM
Jim Souhan: Kids could change everything (http://www.startribune.com/souhan/story/1322218.html)

The Vikings, a dreary and unimaginative team a year ago, have put their hopes of turning things around in a second-year quarterback and a rookie running back.

By Jim Souhan, Star Tribune

Last update: July 25, 2007 – 12:16 AM

Last year, as the NFL reigned as the most popular sports league ever, the Vikings fielded the least interesting team in franchise history....

Marrdro
07-25-2007, 07:57 AM
"ultravikingfan" wrote:


Saying they are a better team is not even possible yet.
That is not decided on by looking at "what ifs" but by play on the field.

I gotta agree with ultra here.
We won't know for real what we have until we play for real.
However, We sure do look good on paper in alot of areas if some of these young kids can live up to thier potential.

Might be a reason we have so many coaches on the field this year huh. Coaches coach, players play, of course after they have been coached by the coaches.
;D

V-Unit
07-25-2007, 09:53 AM
The first step is a better preseason than last year. We played miserable offense. Everyone was blaming it on the fact that Chili didn't want to show all of his cards. In reality the Vanilla offense was apparent the whole season. It's rare, but with so many young people this is one time that I'm going to watch the preseaon like it counts.

COJOMAY
07-25-2007, 11:48 AM
For once Seifert seems to know what he is talking about. Good article even thought it's the same as we have discussed on her all year. I wonder if he gets his material from PP.O postings?
:o

PurpleTide
07-25-2007, 11:58 AM
B-Chill has installed his offense, the guys have been in it for over a year now, so we should be more productive. We will find out how much better we are soon enough. Some young guys will have to step up, and if coached properly they will. We are still gonna be a run first offense, but look for our wr group to be way underestimated, with a break-out star to be named later.......

vikingivan
07-25-2007, 12:36 PM
"Marrdro" wrote:


"ultravikingfan" wrote:


Saying they are a better team is not even possible yet.
That is not decided on by looking at "what ifs" but by play on the field.

I gotta agree with ultra here.

We won't know for real what we have until we play for real.
However, We sure do look good on paper in alot of areas if some of these young kids can live up to thier potential.

Might be a reason we have so many coaches on the field this year huh. Coaches coach, players play, of course after they have been coached by the coaches.

;D


We have to be better than last year.
We have no where to go but up.
In our last 10 games last season the only two games we won were against Detroit and Arizona.
Two doormats of the league.
One of the few significant free agents signings this off season was Bobby Wade.
His best season was in 2004 when he caught 42 passes for 481 yards.
Twill had 37 receptions for 455 yards last season.
When we consider Bobby Wade a significant free agent signing you know our wide receivers stink.

tb04512
07-25-2007, 01:48 PM
one name comes to mind ADRIAN PETERSON... so yes we are a better team

jmcdon00
07-25-2007, 01:58 PM
Best aquisition was Peterson.
Biggest loss was Napo.

They cancel each other out, but the team has had a year to grow as a better team so I think they are slightly better than last years team, hopefully.

vikingivan
07-25-2007, 02:03 PM
"jmcdon00" wrote:


Best aquisition was Peterson.
Biggest loss was Napo.

They cancel each other out, but the team has had a year to grow as a better team so I think they are slightly better than last years team, hopefully.

They don't cancel each other out.
Peterson has the potential to be a huge difference maker.
Napo never had that potential.
Plus, we are going to have Greenway in the lineup to offset Napo being gone.

tb04512
07-25-2007, 02:06 PM
"jmcdon00" wrote:


Best aquisition was Peterson.
Biggest loss was Napo.

They cancel each other out, but the team has had a year to grow as a better team so I think they are slightly better than last years team, hopefully.


??? napo= AD??? idk bout that one but how abooouuttt the return of greenway, Mckinney no longer has the broken hand, birk is back to 100% and is working on strength rather than rehab, Ejames will be back, getting Sidney rice and Bobby wade, childress realizing he should spread play calling around, getting leslie fraizer who has improved the pass defense whereever he goes ( and we get to keep playing cover 2)
Vinny Cuirico or however you spell it, being a Special teams beast same with rufus alexander....

Thats all i got off the top of my head
:D

jmcdon00
07-25-2007, 02:15 PM
"tb04512" wrote:


"jmcdon00" wrote:


Best aquisition was Peterson.
Biggest loss was Napo.

They cancel each other out, but the team has had a year to grow as a better team so I think they are slightly better than last years team, hopefully.


??? napo= AD??? idk bout that one but how abooouuttt the return of greenway, Mckinney no longer has the broken hand, birk is back to 100% and is working on strength rather than rehab, Ejames will be back, getting Sidney rice and Bobby wade, childress realizing he should spread play calling around, getting leslie fraizer who has improved the pass defense whereever he goes ( and we get to keep playing cover 2)

Vinny Cuirico or however you spell it, being a Special teams beast same with rufus alexander....

Thats all i got off the top of my head
:D

cough*homer*cough :)

PurpleHornsOfDestruction
07-25-2007, 02:19 PM
"tb04512" wrote:


one name comes to mind ADRIAN PETERSON... so yes we are a better team


6 names come to mind- Travis Taylor, Napo Harris, Fred Smoot, Mike Rosenthal, Brad Johnson, and Jermaine Wiggins.

There are some pretty big losses in there.

Are we a better team. It all depends on the shoulders 5 men to choose our fate. In order of most important.


Tarvaris Jackson-
Develop to a decent qb and be able lead an offense.
















Erasmus James-
Give us the much needed pass rush that what the one puzzle piece much needed and missing from our defense.






Chad Greenway-
Show what he's worth. Comeback from that injury and have a breakout year as some projected and make an impact. Make up for loss of Nap Harris












Adrian Peterson-
Stay healthy. Live up to the hype


Troy Williamson-
Prove you were worth the 7th pick. 3rd years a breakout year and you corrected your eyes to stop that drop count. This is sink our swim. Boom or bust. I think this year he'll either break out or prove as a bust. Considering we basically traded Moss for Williamson it better be breakout. Though he's not helped much with a unproven quarterback.


I think if we get the first two(T-Jack and James) we'll improve. First 3(T-jack, James and Greenway)
could make for a winning season or 8-8. First 5 (or all of them) I'd be willing to stand behind the statement of winning the division or going to the playoffs.
But if James and Williamson breakout I think we'll be set as well.

vikingivan
07-25-2007, 02:20 PM
"jmcdon00" wrote:


"tb04512" wrote:


"jmcdon00" wrote:


Best aquisition was Peterson.
Biggest loss was Napo.

They cancel each other out, but the team has had a year to grow as a better team so I think they are slightly better than last years team, hopefully.


??? napo= AD??? idk bout that one but how abooouuttt the return of greenway, Mckinney no longer has the broken hand, birk is back to 100% and is working on strength rather than rehab, Ejames will be back, getting Sidney rice and Bobby wade, childress realizing he should spread play calling around, getting leslie fraizer who has improved the pass defense whereever he goes ( and we get to keep playing cover 2)

Vinny Cuirico or however you spell it, being a Special teams beast same with rufus alexander....

Thats all i got off the top of my head
:D

cough*homer*cough :)


Homer or not that was still a better post than saying the addition of Peterson and the loss of Napo cancel each other out.

V-Unit
07-25-2007, 02:24 PM
"jmcdon00" wrote:


Best aquisition was Peterson.
Biggest loss was Napo.

They cancel each other out, but the team has had a year to grow as a better team so I think they are slightly better than last years team, hopefully.


You mentioned in another thread you thought Napo was a big loss, but this is just ridiculous. Napo has done nothing for you to hold him in such high regard.

Did we improve?
QB: Even
RB: Yes
WR: Even
TE: No
OL: Even
Offense: Even
DL: Yes
LB: Even
DBs: Yes
Defense: Yes

I think this Fraizer guy is the biggest question on D. Questions all over the offense.

Zeus
07-25-2007, 02:34 PM
"V" wrote:


"jmcdon00" wrote:


Best aquisition was Peterson.
Biggest loss was Napo.

They cancel each other out, but the team has had a year to grow as a better team so I think they are slightly better than last years team, hopefully.


You mentioned in another thread you thought Napo was a big loss, but this is just ridiculous. Napo has done nothing for you to hold him in such high regard.

Did we improve?
QB: Even
RB: Yes
WR: Even
TE: No
OL: Even
Offense: Even
DL: Yes
LB: Even
DBs: Yes
Defense: Yes

I think this Fraizer guy is the biggest question on D. Questions all over the offense.


QB:
No way that's even.
Brad Johnson is a solid veteran with a Super Bowl title to his credit.
Tarvaris Jackson may be a billion times more athletic and younger, but his lack of experience pales in comparison to Brittle Brad.


=Z=

tb04512
07-25-2007, 02:36 PM
"jmcdon00" wrote:


"tb04512" wrote:


"jmcdon00" wrote:


Best aquisition was Peterson.
Biggest loss was Napo.

They cancel each other out, but the team has had a year to grow as a better team so I think they are slightly better than last years team, hopefully.


??? napo= AD??? idk bout that one but how abooouuttt the return of greenway, Mckinney no longer has the broken hand, birk is back to 100% and is working on strength rather than rehab, Ejames will be back, getting Sidney rice and Bobby wade, childress realizing he should spread play calling around, getting leslie fraizer who has improved the pass defense whereever he goes ( and we get to keep playing cover 2)
Vinny Cuirico or however you spell it, being a Special teams beast same with rufus alexander....

Thats all i got off the top of my head
:D

cough*homer*cough :)


how is that a homer?

jmcdon00
07-25-2007, 02:57 PM
"tb04512" wrote:


"jmcdon00" wrote:


"tb04512" wrote:


"jmcdon00" wrote:


Best aquisition was Peterson.
Biggest loss was Napo.

They cancel each other out, but the team has had a year to grow as a better team so I think they are slightly better than last years team, hopefully.


??? napo= AD??? idk bout that one but how abooouuttt the return of greenway, Mckinney no longer has the broken hand, birk is back to 100% and is working on strength rather than rehab, Ejames will be back, getting Sidney rice and Bobby wade, childress realizing he should spread play calling around, getting leslie fraizer who has improved the pass defense whereever he goes ( and we get to keep playing cover 2)

Vinny Cuirico or however you spell it, being a Special teams beast same with rufus alexander....

Thats all i got off the top of my head
:D

cough*homer*cough :)


how is that a homer?

You only pointed out the good, none of the bad. But I have seen much worse so my comment was a little out of place.

tb04512
07-25-2007, 03:27 PM
"jmcdon00" wrote:


"tb04512" wrote:


"jmcdon00" wrote:


"tb04512" wrote:


"jmcdon00" wrote:


Best aquisition was Peterson.
Biggest loss was Napo.

They cancel each other out, but the team has had a year to grow as a better team so I think they are slightly better than last years team, hopefully.


??? napo= AD??? idk bout that one but how abooouuttt the return of greenway, Mckinney no longer has the broken hand, birk is back to 100% and is working on strength rather than rehab, Ejames will be back, getting Sidney rice and Bobby wade, childress realizing he should spread play calling around, getting leslie fraizer who has improved the pass defense whereever he goes ( and we get to keep playing cover 2)
Vinny Cuirico or however you spell it, being a Special teams beast same with rufus alexander....

Thats all i got off the top of my head
:D

cough*homer*cough :)


how is that a homer?

You only pointed out the good, none of the bad. But I have seen much worse so my comment was a little out of place.


of course i only pointed out the good, i believe we will be better and i listed why.

Superbowl!!!
07-25-2007, 04:01 PM
I think we're a better team.
Wiggins was the biggest hit, but with EJames, Birk, and Greenway back, plus 1 more year with the system and getting AP, we'll be a better team.


(plus maybe twill will get some contacts or something)
:)

PurpleHornsOfDestruction
07-25-2007, 04:59 PM
"V" wrote:


"jmcdon00" wrote:


Best aquisition was Peterson.
Biggest loss was Napo.

They cancel each other out, but the team has had a year to grow as a better team so I think they are slightly better than last years team, hopefully.


You mentioned in another thread you thought Napo was a big loss, but this is just ridiculous. Napo has done nothing for you to hold him in such high regard.

Did we improve?
QB: Even
RB: Yes
WR: Even
TE: No
OL: Even
Offense: Even
DL: Yes
LB: Even
DBs: Yes
Defense: Yes

I think this Fraizer guy is the biggest question on D. Questions all over the offense.


Did we improve?
QB: Loss -I stand by what Zeus said. Maybe in 2-3 years it would be even or improve if he develops like we all are expecting with purple shades but now. No, LOSS

RB: Yes- We couldnt have lost because we didnt lose ayone. We gained Adrian Peterson who with Taylor will make a much feared rushing tandem

WR: Yes-I can agree with you but I think just slightly we gained. I think in the long run its a YES!!! But now its about even. We lost Taylor yes but we gained Bobby Wade who will be good. He put up as good of stats as Kevin Curtis and he didnt have Marc Bulger throwing him the ball or Torry Holt and Isaac Bruce etting all the coverage. We have Williamson in his 3rd year who could possibly make a break out season. We drafted two future great WR Sydney Rice (optimistically wll be the next Steve Smith or in that category). and Aundrae Aliison who I liked for his potential and skills. The skills he has can't be taught the ones he doesnt can be taught which makes for a late round gem.

TE: No- We lost Jermaine Wiggins. Shancoe will supplement the loss but wont bring the same thing to the feild that Wiggins brought.

OL: Even- No big loss. No big gain. I think it will somewhat improve everywhere though because second year in this system.

Offense:Even- I dont know. Its different. Not
necessarily better or worse. Just different. It could go either way next year. Lost at QB but supplemented at RB

DL: Yes-I've been saying this a lot. James coming back will improve that pass rush much needed and the two run stopers in the middle will make a dominent D line

LB: Even- If Greenaway has an expected breakout season then I say yes. If not I say no. and thats going to determine whether he makes up for Napo. So since I think its 50/50 I'll go Even

DBs: Yes Lost Smoot but Cedric Griffin coming back for a better year and from an injury. We added Mike Doss. Darren Sharper is DARREN SHARPER. And it depends on Winfeild's work ethic I think plays a big part. But I trust in it working out to be an improvement

Defense: Yes- I beleive o. Just look above or below. Ive raved about our greatness standing behind our defense possible being in the top 3 defenses in the league behind Baltimore and San Diego. Representing the NFC wwith a hard hitting dominent defense... Purple Curtain


"PurpleHornsOfDestruction" wrote:


Cool The williams Wall is there after all


How fierce will our defense be next year? I'm going to stretch her but I think we'll be a top 3 defense behind maybe Baltimore and someone else who stands up like San Diego. We had a Top 10 Defense last year and now we get the much needed pass rush with E. James. Udeze had 0 sacks so James will be our much needed DE. But any weakness we might still have remaining with the pass rush will be overcome by our Williams Wall. For our DBs we still go the most underrated DB in the league with Winfeild. Then we got Cedric Griffin coming back from an injury. Plus we acquired Mike Doss. The the obvious with the best free safety, D-Sharp. Darren Sharper. Then our linebacker corp will be even more amazing with Chad Greenway coming back after an injury to make them greatness. I just wish we still had Tomlin. I'm definately liking our chances of being like the Bears this year. Spectacular defense with a feared running game that over shadow our quarterback situation. Im just hoping those factors really do over shadow our qb situation. And dare I say it. Possibility.

Super Bowl XLII New England Patriots vs. Minnesota Vikings.
(I'd hate that. Brady throws Moss the game winning TD and he moons us. God that would hurt. And I mean really, really hurt.)


I've been waiting to say this on the right thread but it never came up. I think this will sufice.

The Minnesota Vikings Defense- THE PURPLE CURTAIN!!!

PurpleHornsOfDestruction
07-25-2007, 05:04 PM
"V" wrote:


"jmcdon00" wrote:


Best aquisition was Peterson.
Biggest loss was Napo.

They cancel each other out, but the team has had a year to grow as a better team so I think they are slightly better than last years team, hopefully.


You mentioned in another thread you thought Napo was a big loss, but this is just ridiculous. Napo has done nothing for you to hold him in such high regard.

Did we improve?
QB: Even
RB: Yes
WR: Even
TE: No
OL: Even
Offense: Even
DL: Yes
LB: Even
DBs: Yes
Defense: Yes

I think this Fraizer guy is the biggest question on D. Questions all over the offense.

V-Unit
07-25-2007, 05:06 PM
Purple Curtain? That is the best you could think of? My sister had purple curtains in her bedroom. Doesn't exactly invoke fear, and its a direct rip off the steel curtain, a panzified version if you will.

jmcdon00
07-25-2007, 05:52 PM
"PurpleHornsOfDestruction" wrote:


"V" wrote:


"jmcdon00" wrote:


Best aquisition was Peterson.
Biggest loss was Napo.

They cancel each other out, but the team has had a year to grow as a better team so I think they are slightly better than last years team, hopefully.


You mentioned in another thread you thought Napo was a big loss, but this is just ridiculous. Napo has done nothing for you to hold him in such high regard.

Did we improve?
QB: Even
RB: Yes
WR: Even
TE: No
OL: Even
Offense: Even
DL: Yes
LB: Even
DBs: Yes
Defense: Yes

I think this Fraizer guy is the biggest question on D. Questions all over the offense.


Napo was a beast in the middle last year, one of the big reasons are run D was so good. He was a first round pick in 02 which tells me he is just entering the prime of his career. Last year he recorded 3 int's and 2.5 sacks. He was one of Tomlin's guys and I respected Tomlin's opinion. He has alot of speed and is a perfect fit for a cover 2 defense.

I am not saying that the vikes D is doomed with out him, but he was one of the keys to there success last year, I wish we could have signed him.

V-Unit
07-25-2007, 06:00 PM
"jmcdon00" wrote:


"PurpleHornsOfDestruction" wrote:


"V" wrote:


"jmcdon00" wrote:


Best aquisition was Peterson.
Biggest loss was Napo.

They cancel each other out, but the team has had a year to grow as a better team so I think they are slightly better than last years team, hopefully.


You mentioned in another thread you thought Napo was a big loss, but this is just ridiculous. Napo has done nothing for you to hold him in such high regard.

Did we improve?
QB: Even
RB: Yes
WR: Even
TE: No
OL: Even
Offense: Even
DL: Yes
LB: Even
DBs: Yes
Defense: Yes

I think this Fraizer guy is the biggest question on D. Questions all over the offense.


Napo was a beast in the middle last year, one of the big reasons are run D was so good. He was a first round pick in 02 which tells me he is just entering the prime of his career. Last year he recorded 3 int's and 2.5 sacks. He was one of Tomlin's guys and I respected Tomlin's opinion. He has alot of speed and is a perfect fit for a cover 2 defense.

I am not saying that the vikes D is doomed with out him, but he was one of the keys to there success last year, I wish we could have signed him.


I definetly remember his presence on his field, but as far as production goes he was nothing more than an average LB. 60 tackles is expected from an MLB IMO.

jmcdon00
07-25-2007, 06:05 PM
"V" wrote:


"jmcdon00" wrote:


"PurpleHornsOfDestruction" wrote:


"V" wrote:


"jmcdon00" wrote:


Best aquisition was Peterson.
Biggest loss was Napo.

They cancel each other out, but the team has had a year to grow as a better team so I think they are slightly better than last years team, hopefully.


You mentioned in another thread you thought Napo was a big loss, but this is just ridiculous. Napo has done nothing for you to hold him in such high regard.

Did we improve?
QB: Even
RB: Yes
WR: Even
TE: No
OL: Even
Offense: Even
DL: Yes
LB: Even
DBs: Yes
Defense: Yes

I think this Fraizer guy is the biggest question on D. Questions all over the offense.


Napo was a beast in the middle last year, one of the big reasons are run D was so good. He was a first round pick in 02 which tells me he is just entering the prime of his career. Last year he recorded 3 int's and 2.5 sacks. He was one of Tomlin's guys and I respected Tomlin's opinion. He has alot of speed and is a perfect fit for a cover 2 defense.

I am not saying that the vikes D is doomed with out him, but he was one of the keys to there success last year, I wish we could have signed him.


I definetly remember his presence on his field, but as far as production goes he was nothing more than an average LB. 60 tackles is expected from an MLB IMO.

I just think he was the biggest loss this off season and puts alot of question marks on the Linebackers. Hopefully Henderson can be the man in the middle(I think he can) and Greenway can learn quickly(I hope he can) and every one can stay healthy(I pray they can).

singersp
07-25-2007, 06:41 PM
"V" wrote:


Purple Curtain? That is the best you could think of? .... its a direct rip off the steel curtain.....


I thought the same thing when I saw that last week.

vegasvike
07-25-2007, 06:47 PM
"Zeus" wrote:


"V" wrote:


"jmcdon00" wrote:


Best aquisition was Peterson.
Biggest loss was Napo.

They cancel each other out, but the team has had a year to grow as a better team so I think they are slightly better than last years team, hopefully.


You mentioned in another thread you thought Napo was a big loss, but this is just ridiculous. Napo has done nothing for you to hold him in such high regard.

Did we improve?
QB: Even
RB: Yes
WR: Even
TE: No
OL: Even
Offense: Even
DL: Yes
LB: Even
DBs: Yes
Defense: Yes

I think this Fraizer guy is the biggest question on D. Questions all over the offense.


QB:
No way that's even.
Brad Johnson is a solid veteran with a Super Bowl title to his credit.
Tarvaris Jackson may be a billion times more athletic and younger, but his lack of experience pales in comparison to Brittle Brad.
=Z=



So if Gruden had one of his sons giving water to the players during the superbowl would they be SUPERBOWL winning waterboys? Brad Johnson DID NOT win a superbowl. He was part of the tampa bay team whose DEFENSE won the SUPERBOWL.
When the Ravens won why is that no1 says that TRENT DILFER won the SUPERBOWL? I would have rather had Dilfer than noodle arm

Marrdro
07-25-2007, 06:50 PM
"vegasvike" wrote:


"Zeus" wrote:


"V" wrote:


"jmcdon00" wrote:


Best aquisition was Peterson.
Biggest loss was Napo.

They cancel each other out, but the team has had a year to grow as a better team so I think they are slightly better than last years team, hopefully.


You mentioned in another thread you thought Napo was a big loss, but this is just ridiculous. Napo has done nothing for you to hold him in such high regard.

Did we improve?
QB: Even
RB: Yes
WR: Even
TE: No
OL: Even
Offense: Even
DL: Yes
LB: Even
DBs: Yes
Defense: Yes

I think this Fraizer guy is the biggest question on D. Questions all over the offense.


QB:
No way that's even.
Brad Johnson is a solid veteran with a Super Bowl title to his credit.
Tarvaris Jackson may be a billion times more athletic and younger, but his lack of experience pales in comparison to Brittle Brad.
=Z=



So if Gruden had one of his sons giving water to the players during the superbowl would they be SUPERBOWL winning waterboys? Brad Johnson DID NOT win a superbowl. He was part of the tampa bay team whose DEFENSE won the SUPERBOWL.
When the Ravens won why is that no1 says that TRENT DILFER won the SUPERBOWL? I would have rather had Dilfer than noodle arm


Great thought Vegas, however, that is in fact what we hope happens this year with our young QB.

As with Dilfer and Brad, all he has to do is NOT make ALOT (he is gonna make some) of mistakes.
Just capitalize on what/were our D gives the O the ball back at.

V-Unit
07-25-2007, 06:57 PM
"vegasvike" wrote:


"Zeus" wrote:


"V" wrote:


"jmcdon00" wrote:


Best aquisition was Peterson.
Biggest loss was Napo.

They cancel each other out, but the team has had a year to grow as a better team so I think they are slightly better than last years team, hopefully.


You mentioned in another thread you thought Napo was a big loss, but this is just ridiculous. Napo has done nothing for you to hold him in such high regard.

Did we improve?
QB: Even
RB: Yes
WR: Even
TE: No
OL: Even
Offense: Even
DL: Yes
LB: Even
DBs: Yes
Defense: Yes

I think this Fraizer guy is the biggest question on D. Questions all over the offense.


QB:
No way that's even.
Brad Johnson is a solid veteran with a Super Bowl title to his credit.
Tarvaris Jackson may be a billion times more athletic and younger, but his lack of experience pales in comparison to Brittle Brad.
=Z=



So if Gruden had one of his sons giving water to the players during the superbowl would they be SUPERBOWL winning waterboys? Brad Johnson DID NOT win a superbowl. He was part of the tampa bay team whose DEFENSE won the SUPERBOWL.
When the Ravens won why is that no1 says that TRENT DILFER won the SUPERBOWL? I would have rather had Dilfer than noodle arm


Actually, Brad Johnson had a great year in 2002. He threw for 3,000 yards and 22 TDs with only 6 ints (92.9 rating). If TJ does that we are in very good shape.

I would say Brad Johnson earned his Super Bowl ring. Trent Dilfer? Not so much.

vegasvike
07-25-2007, 06:57 PM
"Marrdro" wrote:


"vegasvike" wrote:


"Zeus" wrote:


"V" wrote:


"jmcdon00" wrote:


Best aquisition was Peterson.
Biggest loss was Napo.

They cancel each other out, but the team has had a year to grow as a better team so I think they are slightly better than last years team, hopefully.


You mentioned in another thread you thought Napo was a big loss, but this is just ridiculous. Napo has done nothing for you to hold him in such high regard.

Did we improve?
QB: Even
RB: Yes
WR: Even
TE: No
OL: Even
Offense: Even
DL: Yes
LB: Even
DBs: Yes
Defense: Yes

I think this Fraizer guy is the biggest question on D. Questions all over the offense.


QB:
No way that's even.
Brad Johnson is a solid veteran with a Super Bowl title to his credit.
Tarvaris Jackson may be a billion times more athletic and younger, but his lack of experience pales in comparison to Brittle Brad.
=Z=



So if Gruden had one of his sons giving water to the players during the superbowl would they be SUPERBOWL winning waterboys? Brad Johnson DID NOT win a superbowl. He was part of the tampa bay team whose DEFENSE won the SUPERBOWL.
When the Ravens won why is that no1 says that TRENT DILFER won the SUPERBOWL? I would have rather had Dilfer than noodle arm


Great thought Vegas, however, that is in fact what we hope happens this year with our young QB.

As with Dilfer and Brad, all he has to do is NOT make ALOT (he is gonna make some) of mistakes.
Just capitalize on what/were our D gives the O the ball back at.



Oh yeah all I want is a SB win for the VIKES you know. BUT fair is fair #14 threw a 5 yrd TD and then there was 2 rushing TDs the DEFENSE scored more than he did. I just dont like how all the undeserved praise is thrown upon him. His title is game manager and he is barely that

Marrdro
07-25-2007, 06:59 PM
"vegasvike" wrote:


"Marrdro" wrote:


"vegasvike" wrote:


"Zeus" wrote:


"V" wrote:




Best aquisition was Peterson.
Biggest loss was Napo.

They cancel each other out, but the team has had a year to grow as a better team so I think they are slightly better than last years team, hopefully.


You mentioned in another thread you thought Napo was a big loss, but this is just ridiculous. Napo has done nothing for you to hold him in such high regard.

Did we improve?
QB: Even
RB: Yes
WR: Even
TE: No
OL: Even
Offense: Even
DL: Yes
LB: Even
DBs: Yes
Defense: Yes

I think this Fraizer guy is the biggest question on D. Questions all over the offense.


QB:
No way that's even.
Brad Johnson is a solid veteran with a Super Bowl title to his credit.
Tarvaris Jackson may be a billion times more athletic and younger, but his lack of experience pales in comparison to Brittle Brad.
=Z=



So if Gruden had one of his sons giving water to the players during the superbowl would they be SUPERBOWL winning waterboys? Brad Johnson DID NOT win a superbowl. He was part of the tampa bay team whose DEFENSE won the SUPERBOWL.
When the Ravens won why is that no1 says that TRENT DILFER won the SUPERBOWL? I would have rather had Dilfer than noodle arm


Great thought Vegas, however, that is in fact what we hope happens this year with our young QB.

As with Dilfer and Brad, all he has to do is NOT make ALOT (he is gonna make some) of mistakes.
Just capitalize on what/were our D gives the O the ball back at.



Oh yeah all I want is a SB win for the VIKES you know. BUT fair is fair #14 threw a 5 yrd TD and then there was 2 rushing TDs the DEFENSE scored more than he did. I just dont like how all the undeserved praise is thrown upon him. His title is game manager and he is barely that

Hear Hear.
Tavaris Jackson.
Game Manager.

jmcdon00
07-25-2007, 07:33 PM
"Marrdro" wrote:


"vegasvike" wrote:


"Marrdro" wrote:


"vegasvike" wrote:


"Zeus" wrote:






Best aquisition was Peterson.
Biggest loss was Napo.

They cancel each other out, but the team has had a year to grow as a better team so I think they are slightly better than last years team, hopefully.


You mentioned in another thread you thought Napo was a big loss, but this is just ridiculous. Napo has done nothing for you to hold him in such high regard.

Did we improve?
QB: Even
RB: Yes
WR: Even
TE: No
OL: Even
Offense: Even
DL: Yes
LB: Even
DBs: Yes
Defense: Yes

I think this Fraizer guy is the biggest question on D. Questions all over the offense.


QB:
No way that's even.
Brad Johnson is a solid veteran with a Super Bowl title to his credit.
Tarvaris Jackson may be a billion times more athletic and younger, but his lack of experience pales in comparison to Brittle Brad.
=Z=



So if Gruden had one of his sons giving water to the players during the superbowl would they be SUPERBOWL winning waterboys? Brad Johnson DID NOT win a superbowl. He was part of the tampa bay team whose DEFENSE won the SUPERBOWL.
When the Ravens won why is that no1 says that TRENT DILFER won the SUPERBOWL? I would have rather had Dilfer than noodle arm


Great thought Vegas, however, that is in fact what we hope happens this year with our young QB.

As with Dilfer and Brad, all he has to do is NOT make ALOT (he is gonna make some) of mistakes.
Just capitalize on what/were our D gives the O the ball back at.



Oh yeah all I want is a SB win for the VIKES you know. BUT fair is fair #14 threw a 5 yrd TD and then there was 2 rushing TDs the DEFENSE scored more than he did. I just dont like how all the undeserved praise is thrown upon him. His title is game manager and he is barely that

Hear Hear.
Tavaris Jackson.
Game Manager.

He is best known for leading the Buccaneers past the Oakland Raiders in a 48-21 rout during Super Bowl XXXVII in 2003 where he threw for 2 touchdowns and over 200 yards.

Brad has one of the top 20 career passer ratings in NFL history. Johnson holds a 67-44 career record as a starter, currently the 3rd best win-loss ratio among active QBs with over 50 starting games. He has also connected on over 60% of his passes for last 12 straight seasons, the first quarterback in NFL history to do this[1] (Joe Montana & Steve Young previously held the record with eight straight seasons).

He has been twice selected to Pro Bowl: in 1999 and 2002. In 2003 he was named to USA Today's All-Joe team which recognizes the NFL's most unsung players.

He has eclipsed the 3,000-yard passing mark five times. In 1999, he became only the second Washington Redskin in franchise history to eclipse 4,000 yards. He had the top passer rating in the NFC in 2002 and he has earned NFC Offensive Player of the Week honors 7 times in his career. He has also broken almost every passer record at Tampa Bay. To date, Brad Johnson is the only NFL quarterback to have thrown a touchdown pass to himself.[2] Against the Carolina Panthers in 1997, Johnson caught his deflected pass and ran three yards for a touchdown.

In 2003 he won the NFL's "Quarterback Challenge" competition, in which he beat Pro Bowl QBs Tom Brady, Matt Hasselbeck, Jeff Garcia, Mark Brunell, Marc Bulger and others like Byron Leftwich and Joey Harrington in a skills competition with four parts involving accuracy, speed and mobility, long distance throw, and "No Huddle."[3] Former teammate Sean Salisbury said that despite having big, strong arms and a great deep ball, Brad always played it safe and went for the fast and easy completion which earned him the nickname "Checkdown Charlie" among friends.[4]

singersp
07-25-2007, 07:57 PM
"jmcdon00" wrote:


"Marrdro" wrote:


"vegasvike" wrote:


"Marrdro" wrote:


"vegasvike" wrote:








Best aquisition was Peterson.
Biggest loss was Napo.

They cancel each other out, but the team has had a year to grow as a better team so I think they are slightly better than last years team, hopefully.


You mentioned in another thread you thought Napo was a big loss, but this is just ridiculous. Napo has done nothing for you to hold him in such high regard.

Did we improve?
QB: Even
RB: Yes
WR: Even
TE: No
OL: Even
Offense: Even
DL: Yes
LB: Even
DBs: Yes
Defense: Yes

I think this Fraizer guy is the biggest question on D. Questions all over the offense.


QB:
No way that's even.
Brad Johnson is a solid veteran with a Super Bowl title to his credit.
Tarvaris Jackson may be a billion times more athletic and younger, but his lack of experience pales in comparison to Brittle Brad.
=Z=



So if Gruden had one of his sons giving water to the players during the superbowl would they be SUPERBOWL winning waterboys? Brad Johnson DID NOT win a superbowl. He was part of the tampa bay team whose DEFENSE won the SUPERBOWL.
When the Ravens won why is that no1 says that TRENT DILFER won the SUPERBOWL? I would have rather had Dilfer than noodle arm


Great thought Vegas, however, that is in fact what we hope happens this year with our young QB.

As with Dilfer and Brad, all he has to do is NOT make ALOT (he is gonna make some) of mistakes.
Just capitalize on what/were our D gives the O the ball back at.



Oh yeah all I want is a SB win for the VIKES you know. BUT fair is fair #14 threw a 5 yrd TD and then there was 2 rushing TDs the DEFENSE scored more than he did. I just dont like how all the undeserved praise is thrown upon him. His title is game manager and he is barely that

Hear Hear.
Tavaris Jackson.
Game Manager.

He is best known for leading the Buccaneers past the Oakland Raiders in a 48-21 rout during Super Bowl XXXVII in 2003 where he threw for 2 touchdowns and over 200 yards.

Brad has one of the top 20 career passer ratings in NFL history. Johnson holds a 67-44 career record as a starter, currently the 3rd best win-loss ratio among active QBs with over 50 starting games. He has also connected on over 60% of his passes for last 12 straight seasons, the first quarterback in NFL history to do this[1] (Joe Montana & Steve Young previously held the record with eight straight seasons).

He has been twice selected to Pro Bowl: in 1999 and 2002. In 2003 he was named to USA Today's All-Joe team which recognizes the NFL's most unsung players.

He has eclipsed the 3,000-yard passing mark five times. In 1999, he became only the second Washington Redskin in franchise history to eclipse 4,000 yards. He had the top passer rating in the NFC in 2002 and he has earned NFC Offensive Player of the Week honors 7 times in his career. He has also broken almost every passer record at Tampa Bay. To date, Brad Johnson is the only NFL quarterback to have thrown a touchdown pass to himself.[2] Against the Carolina Panthers in 1997, Johnson caught his deflected pass and ran three yards for a touchdown.

In 2003 he won the NFL's "Quarterback Challenge" competition, in which he beat Pro Bowl QBs Tom Brady, Matt Hasselbeck, Jeff Garcia, Mark Brunell, Marc Bulger and others like Byron Leftwich and Joey Harrington in a skills competition with four parts involving accuracy, speed and mobility, long distance throw, and "No Huddle."[3] Former teammate Sean Salisbury said that despite having big, strong arms and a great deep ball, Brad always played it safe and went for the fast and easy completion which earned him the nickname "Checkdown Charlie" among friends.[4]



There comes a time when stats don't mean shit! Hell I could whip out Tarkentons accomplishments, but that doesn't mean I want him QBing for us

No matter how good you once were, no matter how great the accomplishments, there comes an age where your skills aren't what they should be or once were & it's time to retire.

Montana was a perfect example of ap layer playing to long in the NFL. Johnson is there now

Purple Floyd
07-25-2007, 11:26 PM
"singersp" wrote:


"jmcdon00" wrote:


"Marrdro" wrote:


"vegasvike" wrote:


"Marrdro" wrote:










Best aquisition was Peterson.
Biggest loss was Napo.

They cancel each other out, but the team has had a year to grow as a better team so I think they are slightly better than last years team, hopefully.


You mentioned in another thread you thought Napo was a big loss, but this is just ridiculous. Napo has done nothing for you to hold him in such high regard.

Did we improve?
QB: Even
RB: Yes
WR: Even
TE: No
OL: Even
Offense: Even
DL: Yes
LB: Even
DBs: Yes
Defense: Yes

I think this Fraizer guy is the biggest question on D. Questions all over the offense.


QB:
No way that's even.
Brad Johnson is a solid veteran with a Super Bowl title to his credit.
Tarvaris Jackson may be a billion times more athletic and younger, but his lack of experience pales in comparison to Brittle Brad.
=Z=



So if Gruden had one of his sons giving water to the players during the superbowl would they be SUPERBOWL winning waterboys? Brad Johnson DID NOT win a superbowl. He was part of the tampa bay team whose DEFENSE won the SUPERBOWL.
When the Ravens won why is that no1 says that TRENT DILFER won the SUPERBOWL? I would have rather had Dilfer than noodle arm


Great thought Vegas, however, that is in fact what we hope happens this year with our young QB.

As with Dilfer and Brad, all he has to do is NOT make ALOT (he is gonna make some) of mistakes.
Just capitalize on what/were our D gives the O the ball back at.



Oh yeah all I want is a SB win for the VIKES you know. BUT fair is fair #14 threw a 5 yrd TD and then there was 2 rushing TDs the DEFENSE scored more than he did. I just dont like how all the undeserved praise is thrown upon him. His title is game manager and he is barely that

Hear Hear.
Tavaris Jackson.
Game Manager.

He is best known for leading the Buccaneers past the Oakland Raiders in a 48-21 rout during Super Bowl XXXVII in 2003 where he threw for 2 touchdowns and over 200 yards.

Brad has one of the top 20 career passer ratings in NFL history. Johnson holds a 67-44 career record as a starter, currently the 3rd best win-loss ratio among active QBs with over 50 starting games. He has also connected on over 60% of his passes for last 12 straight seasons, the first quarterback in NFL history to do this[1] (Joe Montana & Steve Young previously held the record with eight straight seasons).

He has been twice selected to Pro Bowl: in 1999 and 2002. In 2003 he was named to USA Today's All-Joe team which recognizes the NFL's most unsung players.

He has eclipsed the 3,000-yard passing mark five times. In 1999, he became only the second Washington Redskin in franchise history to eclipse 4,000 yards. He had the top passer rating in the NFC in 2002 and he has earned NFC Offensive Player of the Week honors 7 times in his career. He has also broken almost every passer record at Tampa Bay. To date, Brad Johnson is the only NFL quarterback to have thrown a touchdown pass to himself.[2] Against the Carolina Panthers in 1997, Johnson caught his deflected pass and ran three yards for a touchdown.

In 2003 he won the NFL's "Quarterback Challenge" competition, in which he beat Pro Bowl QBs Tom Brady, Matt Hasselbeck, Jeff Garcia, Mark Brunell, Marc Bulger and others like Byron Leftwich and Joey Harrington in a skills competition with four parts involving accuracy, speed and mobility, long distance throw, and "No Huddle."[3] Former teammate Sean Salisbury said that despite having big, strong arms and a great deep ball, Brad always played it safe and went for the fast and easy completion which earned him the nickname "Checkdown Charlie" among friends.[4]



There comes a time when stats don't mean pooh! Hell I could whip out Tarkentons accomplishments, but that doesn't mean I want him QBing for us

No matter how good you once were, no matter how great the accomplishments, there comes an age where your skills aren't what they should be or once were & it's time to retire.

Montana was a perfect example of ap layer playing to long in the NFL. Johnson is there now


While that is true, he certainly has proven that he actually can do the job at this level. Compare that to TJ where the only thing you have to go on is hearsay, rumor and potential and it is darn hard to put TJ in his league. All we know for sure is neither one of them had what it took to overcome an under performing offensive line last year.

BloodyHorns82
07-25-2007, 11:34 PM
"ultravikingfan" wrote:


Saying they are a better team is not even possible yet.
That is not decided on by looking at "what ifs" but by play on the field.


They're not saying that the Vikes are a better team...they are asking...throwing the question out for speculation.
Thats all anybody can do in the off season is speculate.
Speculation is what gets us through the entire ordeal.

jessejames09
07-25-2007, 11:47 PM
Admit it, it sounds dumb but last year you saw a glimpse of hope in t-jack.
I knew we were going no where last year, but neither did brad or our passing game at at all.

Where the patriots had a meat and potatoes passing game with decent receivers, we had bread.

I remember thinking to myself hes got the ability to throw a good accurate pass for sure. And looks like he's got a good fluid motion. He just looks like a QB. If he can just avoid picks he'll be great success.

Mr Anderson
07-26-2007, 12:42 AM
"Zeus" wrote:


"V" wrote:


"jmcdon00" wrote:


Best aquisition was Peterson.
Biggest loss was Napo.

They cancel each other out, but the team has had a year to grow as a better team so I think they are slightly better than last years team, hopefully.


You mentioned in another thread you thought Napo was a big loss, but this is just ridiculous. Napo has done nothing for you to hold him in such high regard.

Did we improve?
QB: Even
RB: Yes
WR: Even
TE: No
OL: Even
Offense: Even
DL: Yes
LB: Even
DBs: Yes
Defense: Yes

I think this Fraizer guy is the biggest question on D. Questions all over the offense.


QB:
No way that's even.
Brad Johnson is a solid veteran with a Super Bowl title to his credit.
Tarvaris Jackson may be a billion times more athletic and younger, but his lack of experience pales in comparison to Brittle Brad.


=Z=


Brad Johnson is actually a great athlete.... but he also happens to be an old man.

NDVikingFan66
07-26-2007, 01:10 AM
Brad was old, and I still would like to have him back in a viking uniform.
He could not add anything to our team in terms of depth, but he has been around a long time.
Could be someone for TJ to talk to about anything and everything.

Losing Napo does not concern me, considering Greenway is back and healthy, and I never really thought he developed like everyone had hoped.

I would say our defense will be better if our pass d does anything this year, and our run stays solid again.

If I break them down....here is what I see....

Did we improve?
QB: No, no verteran leadership
RB: Yes, obvious one here
WR: I would say on paper yes, but will have to see.
In addition, we could have Jerry Rice and Steve Largent, but if we cant get them the ball....
TE: Yes
OL: Even
Offense:
Tough one....new RB, new WR's, new QB.
On paper better, but they need to gel
DL: Yes....James back....Udeze moving to natural position
LB: Even
DBs: Yes
Defense: Not so sure yet, but certainly should be

cajunvike
07-26-2007, 01:34 AM
In a word, YES!

duvaldomo
07-26-2007, 01:44 AM
"NDVikingFan66" wrote:


Brad was old, and I still would like to have him back in a viking uniform.
He could not add anything to our team in terms of depth, but he has been around a long time.
Could be someone for TJ to talk to about anything and everything.

Losing Napo does not concern me, considering Greenway is back and healthy, and I never really thought he developed like everyone had hoped.

I would say our defense will be better if our pass d does anything this year, and our run stays solid again.

If I break them down....here is what I see....

Did we improve?
QB: No, no verteran leadership
RB: Yes, obvious one here
WR: I would say on paper yes, but will have to see.
In addition, we could have Jerry Rice and Steve Largent, but if we cant get them the ball....
TE: Yes
OL: Even
Offense:
Tough one....new RB, new WR's, new QB.
On paper better, but they need to gel
DL: Yes....James back....Udeze moving to natural position
LB: Even
DBs: Yes
Defense: Not so sure yet, but certainly should be



why not?? do we not have a QB at all?

People Tjack is unproven not bad. He havent even gotten a chance to show his stuff why is people assuming he suck? forget about last year tjack didnt have enough time to practice, since he went from 3rd string to stater in acouple of days. This year he will practice as a starter, which mean he should improve.

duvaldomo
07-26-2007, 01:57 AM
Did we improve?

QB: No. All unproven QBs
RB: Yes. AD should shake things up
WR: Yes. Did the best we can with the WRs that were in FA
TE: Even. Loss of Wiggins will hurt, but shinacole should do
OL: Even.
Offense: Yes. New WRs, new RB, nice OL
DL: Yes. With Udeze back at his normal position & return of James we should be in shape
LB: Even. Loss of Napo is going to hurt but Greenway is expected back, thats good news.
DBs: Added Mike doss, I like this guy.
Defense: Yes. Our rushing is still #1 while our passing gets better

cajunvike
07-26-2007, 02:06 AM
Way to stay positive, guys!!!
TJack will surprise everyone and be a more than adequate replacement for Brad!
And the WRs will all learn how to catch everything that TJack throws to them!
;D

singersp
07-26-2007, 05:25 AM
"duvaldomo" wrote:


Did we improve?

QB: No. All unproven QBs
RB: Yes. AD should shake things up
WR: Yes. Did the best we can with the WRs that were in FA
TE: Even. Loss of Wiggins will hurt, but shinacole should do
OL: Even.
Offense: Yes. New WRs, new RB, nice OL
DL: Yes. With Udeze back at his normal position & return of James we should be in shape
LB: Even. Loss of Napo is going to hurt but Greenway is expected back, thats good news.
DBs: Added Mike doss, I like this guy.
Defense: Yes. Our rushing is still #1 while our passing gets better



I disagree with that one. The Vikings didn't sign the best WR available in FA as the statement implies.

Zeus
07-26-2007, 09:08 AM
"singersp" wrote:


"duvaldomo" wrote:


Did we improve?

QB: No. All unproven QBs
RB: Yes. AD should shake things up
WR: Yes. Did the best we can with the WRs that were in FA
TE: Even. Loss of Wiggins will hurt, but shinacole should do
OL: Even.
Offense: Yes. New WRs, new RB, nice OL
DL: Yes. With Udeze back at his normal position & return of James we should be in shape
LB: Even. Loss of Napo is going to hurt but Greenway is expected back, thats good news.
DBs: Added Mike doss, I like this guy.
Defense: Yes. Our rushing is still #1 while our passing gets better



I disagree with that one. The Vikings didn't sign the best WR available in FA as the statement implies.


I disagree with your implication that overpaying for 2nd-tier talent is an example of the Vikings doing the best that they could.


=Z=

Prophet
07-26-2007, 09:10 AM
"Zeus" wrote:


"singersp" wrote:


"duvaldomo" wrote:


Did we improve?

QB: No. All unproven QBs
RB: Yes. AD should shake things up
WR: Yes. Did the best we can with the WRs that were in FA
TE: Even. Loss of Wiggins will hurt, but shinacole should do
OL: Even.
Offense: Yes. New WRs, new RB, nice OL
DL: Yes. With Udeze back at his normal position & return of James we should be in shape
LB: Even. Loss of Napo is going to hurt but Greenway is expected back, thats good news.
DBs: Added Mike doss, I like this guy.
Defense: Yes. Our rushing is still #1 while our passing gets better



I disagree with that one. The Vikings didn't sign the best WR available in FA as the statement implies.


I disagree with your implication that overpaying for 2nd-tier talent is an example of the Vikings doing the best that they could.


=Z=


Ditto.

PurpleTide
07-26-2007, 09:18 AM
Did we improve.... In a word, youbetcha!!!!

SharperVikings
07-26-2007, 10:13 AM
Yes, they added quality depth and had a pretty solid draft, on paper.
We'll see how the draft turns out on the field, but as of now, they are more experienced this year....better this year!

CCthebest
07-26-2007, 10:22 AM
I would say we are even with last year, which is pretty Fing pathetic considering how much we sucked.

Losing Wiggins and Marcus robinson for no apparent reason. All seem to agree TJ isnt ready to be a starter (hoping he proves everyone wrong) Booby Wade is our star WR? How pathetic is that? Or is Childress hoping Twill can hold onto the ball this year? Or are we going to run every play?

NodakPaul
07-26-2007, 10:27 AM
"CCthebest" wrote:


I would say we are even with last year, which is pretty Fing pathetic considering how much we sucked.

Losing Wiggins and Marcus robinson for no apparent reason. All seem to agree TJ isnt ready to be a starter (hoping he proves everyone wrong) Booby Wade is our star WR? How pathetic is that? Or is Childress hoping Twill can hold onto the ball this year? Or are we going to run every play?


Blah blah blah blah blah blah blah.
What no slam on Childress?
You are losing your touch CC.

V-Unit
07-26-2007, 10:31 AM
Thats two horrible posts in a row.

The biggest reason we have improved will hopefully be better coaching. Hard to say though with Tomlin gone.

Marrdro
07-26-2007, 10:35 AM
"CCthebest" wrote:


I would say we are even with last year, which is pretty Fing pathetic considering how much we sucked.

Losing Wiggins and Marcus robinson for no apparent reason. All seem to agree TJ isnt ready to be a starter (hoping he proves everyone wrong) Booby Wade is our star WR? How pathetic is that? Or is Childress hoping Twill can hold onto the ball this year? Or are we going to run every play?

You my friend I can't quite figure out.
You can't be serious
::)


Sarcasim on......

YUP, we are sure gonna miss the great Marcus Robinson.
He has been consistently a monster since joining the leage.


Except for that one year (1999) were he was off his game a bit and actually produced yards.


1998 Chicago 44


1999 Chicago 1400


2000 Chicago 738


2001 Chicago 269


2002 Chicago 244


2003 Baltimore 451


2004 Minnesota 657

2005 Minnesota 515


2006 Minnesota 381



Sarcasism off.

MaxVike
07-26-2007, 10:40 AM
I think the team has improved.
The single, biggest question I have is, why no veteran leadership at QB?
I can support the WR strategy in Free Agency (we are not in the same position as the Patriots, so, please, stop comparing), definitely in agreement with the draft strategy, support ridding ourselves of Smoot, don't mind bringing in 2nd tier free agents (albeit for seemingly too much money, it is clear they were paying a premium for "team fit"), and will defer to the TJack decision.
Sounds like a 40+ year Vike fan...but seriously, I am convinced this team is going in the right direction.
If TJack is a bust, there is a tremendous nucleus to bring in a veteran leader near the end of his career, capable of winning the SB.
If he is a great find, this year is what it is...a building, not re-building year.

I may be in the minority, but, I think we have alot to be optimistic about, although, our record in 2007 may not be that much different, progress has been made, I'm convinced.
Not to mention the fact that I cannot wait to see AD in action!!!

Marrdro
07-26-2007, 10:46 AM
"MaxVike" wrote:


I think the team has improved.
The single, biggest question I have is, why no veteran leadership at QB?
I can support the WR strategy in Free Agency (we are not in the same position as the Patriots, so, please, stop comparing), definitely in agreement with the draft strategy, support ridding ourselves of Smoot, don't mind bringing in 2nd tier free agents (albeit for seemingly too much money, it is clear they were paying a premium for "team fit"), and will defer to the TJack decision.
Sounds like a 40+ year Vike fan...but seriously, I am convinced this team is going in the right direction.
If TJack is a bust, there is a tremendous nucleus to bring in a veteran leader near the end of his career, capable of winning the SB.
If he is a great find, this year is what it is...a building, not re-building year.

I may be in the minority, but, I think we have alot to be optimistic about, although, our record in 2007 may not be that much different, progress has been made, I'm convinced.
Not to mention the fact that I cannot wait to see AD in action!!!

Nice post my friend.
Love your avatar.

Just not sure who was out there that really was a good fit for the scheme and if by some chance there was one, this team is to young to win a SB yet.


Only one I would have been happy with would have been (possibly) Garcia as he is a WCO type guy.
The rest....... Well, I think they would have struggled with the scheme as well.

Anyway, I think the thought process is, let our QB of the future (If in fact he is that) get the experience everyone says he needs.
That way he will learn/grow right along with the rest of the young guys.

CCthebest
07-26-2007, 11:03 AM
I wasnt saying Marcus Robinson was a great receiver. He was however the best we had.

Our whole offense is unproven. Other then the running game, which we all hope will be even better. But we still have no idea if the Oline can pass protect. TJ is raw enough without having to dodge D linemen all day. We had enough 3rd and longs last year, and then all the dump passes childress called.

futgalee
07-26-2007, 11:55 AM
Pleasantly surprised is what most of you will be when this 2007 team starts playing for real. First year with Chilly and a very slow Brad Johnson was brutal to watch last year. Right side of the O-line will be much better regardless of blocking schemes. Our receivers will have more TDs and yards after catch because T. Jackson will be throwing the ball and other teams will have to honor our upgraded running game. As for our lame sack count last year, we will have plenty of fresh legs with the seven or so DEs we have and that Robison will be fun to watch. That in itself will have our hard hitting safetys and CBs playing better due to the fact their quarterback will be running for his life and later picking turf out of his helmet. Enjoy the season......I will

NodakPaul
07-26-2007, 12:04 PM
"futgalee" wrote:


Pleasantly surprised is what most of you will be when this 2007 team starts playing for real. First year with Chilly and a very slow Brad Johnson was brutal to watch last year. Right side of the O-line will be much better regardless of blocking schemes. Our receivers will have more TDs and yards after catch because T. Jackson will be throwing the ball and other teams will have to honor our upgraded running game. As for our lame sack count last year, we will have plenty of fresh legs with the seven or so DEs we have and that Robison will be fun to watch. That in itself will have our hard hitting safetys and CBs playing better due to the fact their quarterback will be running for his life and later picking turf out of his helmet. Enjoy the season......I will


Love our attitude, and I absolutely agree.
Welcome to the site, go introduce your self in the Free Beer forum ig you haven't already!

vikingivan
07-26-2007, 12:13 PM
"CCthebest" wrote:


I wasnt saying Marcus Robinson was a great receiver. He was however the best we had.

Our whole offense is unproven. Other then the running game, which we all hope will be even better. But we still have no idea if the Oline can pass protect. TJ is raw enough without having to dodge D linemen all day. We had enough 3rd and longs last year, and then all the dump passes childress called.


As long as we are on the topic of receivers could someone please tell me why we would sign Bobby Wade to a 5year 15 million dollar contract.
I realize that this contract is not guaranteed and he will never be a Viking the entire time.
So let's say it is a one year 3 million dollar contract.
He has 2 career receiving touchdowns.
His best year he 42 receptions for 481 yards.
Wow, we made a big splash in the free agent market signing him.
I am sure the other 31 teams in the NFL all got a good laugh out of that signing.

NodakPaul
07-26-2007, 12:26 PM
"vikingivan" wrote:


"CCthebest" wrote:


I wasnt saying Marcus Robinson was a great receiver. He was however the best we had.

Our whole offense is unproven. Other then the running game, which we all hope will be even better. But we still have no idea if the Oline can pass protect. TJ is raw enough without having to dodge D linemen all day. We had enough 3rd and longs last year, and then all the dump passes childress called.


As long as we are on the topic of receivers could someone please tell me why we would sign Bobby Wade to a 5year 15 million dollar contract.
I realize that this contract is not guaranteed and he will never be a Viking the entire time.
So let's say it is a one year 3 million dollar contract.
He has 2 career receiving touchdowns.
His best year he 42 receptions for 481 yards.
Wow, we made a big splash in the free agent market signing him.
I am sure the other 31 teams in the NFL all got a good laugh out of that signing.


First of all, I don't know exactly how Wade's contract is laid out, but just because he has a five year 15 million dollar contract doesn't mean that he gets 3 million per year.
It can be front loaded, back loaded, much of it performance based...

Second, you complain about a 42 rec 481 yard year.
I would actually say that last year was his best with 33 rec and 461 yards.
Much better average.
And in case you are curious, that is better than any of the WRs we had on the Vikings last year, including the oft-loved MRob.

Third, what would you rather do?
Pay $15 million over five years to a decent WR, or pay five to seven times that amount to a WR who is barely slightly better? Much more bang for your buck with Wade.

Lastly, I think at the end of this year, the Vikings will be the ones who are laughing...

vikingivan
07-26-2007, 12:41 PM
"NodakPaul" wrote:


"vikingivan" wrote:


"CCthebest" wrote:


I wasnt saying Marcus Robinson was a great receiver. He was however the best we had.

Our whole offense is unproven. Other then the running game, which we all hope will be even better. But we still have no idea if the Oline can pass protect. TJ is raw enough without having to dodge D linemen all day. We had enough 3rd and longs last year, and then all the dump passes childress called.


As long as we are on the topic of receivers could someone please tell me why we would sign Bobby Wade to a 5year 15 million dollar contract.
I realize that this contract is not guaranteed and he will never be a Viking the entire time.
So let's say it is a one year 3 million dollar contract.
He has 2 career receiving touchdowns.
His best year he 42 receptions for 481 yards.
Wow, we made a big splash in the free agent market signing him.
I am sure the other 31 teams in the NFL all got a good laugh out of that signing.


First of all, I don't know exactly how Wade's contract is laid out, but just because he has a five year 15 million dollar contract doesn't mean that he gets 3 million per year.
It can be front loaded, back loaded, much of it performance based...

Second, you complain about a 42 rec 481 yard year.
I would actually say that last year was his best with 33 rec and 461 yards.
Much better average.
And in case you are curious, that is better than any of the WRs we had on the Vikings last year, including the oft-loved MRob.

Third, what would you rather do?
Pay $15 million over five years to a decent WR, or pay five to seven times that amount to a WR who is barely slightly better? Much more bang for your buck with Wade.

Lastly, I think at the end of this year, the Vikings will be the ones who are laughing...


Twill had 37 grabs for 455 yards last year and people on this site are saying it is now or never for him.
How much different our his stats from Wade's.
Look very similar to me.
He may be the type of receiver that fits into the Childress offensive scheme.
I don't know, but based on his statistics for the past couple of years he doesn't look all that impressive to me.
As far as his contract is concerned, it is difficult for us to no how much of it was signing bonus, or if it is back loaded or incentive based.
I would have sooner spent more money and got an above average lineman for the right side of the line.
That would have served us better than an average wide receiver.
Remember, I am only basing my judgement on statistics, and some times they do lie.
He may be better than I know.
I certainly hope he is.
But, since I have never followed his career, statistics is all I have to go on.

Billy Boy
07-26-2007, 12:50 PM
"vikingivan" wrote:


"CCthebest" wrote:


I wasnt saying Marcus Robinson was a great receiver. He was however the best we had.

Our whole offense is unproven. Other then the running game, which we all hope will be even better. But we still have no idea if the Oline can pass protect. TJ is raw enough without having to dodge D linemen all day. We had enough 3rd and longs last year, and then all the dump passes childress called.


As long as we are on the topic of receivers could someone please tell me why we would sign Bobby Wade to a 5year 15 million dollar contract.
I realize that this contract is not guaranteed and he will never be a Viking the entire time.
So let's say it is a one year 3 million dollar contract.
He has 2 career receiving touchdowns.
His best year he 42 receptions for 481 yards.
Wow, we made a big splash in the free agent market signing him.
I am sure the other 31 teams in the NFL all got a good laugh out of that signing.




So you think Wade is a filler until they can upgrade the position or something? Intersting.

4 mil guarenteed

Base
2007
950000.00
2008
1950000.00
2009
2950000.00
2010
2700000.00
2011
2700000.00


Regardless I would have to disagree as Wade fits Chili's KAO nicely.
Seems like Chili has two types of recievers he likes.
Red zone threats and then your short, precise, speedy/explosive recievers that can get YAC.

happy camper
07-26-2007, 12:54 PM
"vikingivan" wrote:


"NodakPaul" wrote:


"vikingivan" wrote:


"CCthebest" wrote:


I wasnt saying Marcus Robinson was a great receiver. He was however the best we had.

Our whole offense is unproven. Other then the running game, which we all hope will be even better. But we still have no idea if the Oline can pass protect. TJ is raw enough without having to dodge D linemen all day. We had enough 3rd and longs last year, and then all the dump passes childress called.


As long as we are on the topic of receivers could someone please tell me why we would sign Bobby Wade to a 5year 15 million dollar contract.
I realize that this contract is not guaranteed and he will never be a Viking the entire time.
So let's say it is a one year 3 million dollar contract.
He has 2 career receiving touchdowns.
His best year he 42 receptions for 481 yards.
Wow, we made a big splash in the free agent market signing him.
I am sure the other 31 teams in the NFL all got a good laugh out of that signing.


First of all, I don't know exactly how Wade's contract is laid out, but just because he has a five year 15 million dollar contract doesn't mean that he gets 3 million per year.
It can be front loaded, back loaded, much of it performance based...

Second, you complain about a 42 rec 481 yard year.
I would actually say that last year was his best with 33 rec and 461 yards.
Much better average.
And in case you are curious, that is better than any of the WRs we had on the Vikings last year, including the oft-loved MRob.

Third, what would you rather do?
Pay $15 million over five years to a decent WR, or pay five to seven times that amount to a WR who is barely slightly better? Much more bang for your buck with Wade.

Lastly, I think at the end of this year, the Vikings will be the ones who are laughing...


Twill had 37 grabs for 455 yards last year and people on this site are saying it is now or never for him.
How much different our his stats from Wade's.
Look very similar to me.
He may be the type of receiver that fits into the Childress offensive scheme.
I don't know, but based on his statistics for the past couple of years he doesn't look all that impressive to me.
As far as his contract is concerned, it is difficult for us to no how much of it was signing bonus, or if it is back loaded or incentive based.
I would have sooner spent more money and got an above average lineman for the right side of the line.
That would have served us better than an average wide receiver.
Remember, I am only basing my judgement on statistics, and some times they do lie.
He may be better than I know.
I certainly hope he is.
But, since I have never followed his career, statistics is all I have to go on.


It is Troy Williamson's drops that has him in hot water with the fans and most likely the coaching staff.

Crucial drops in the 49ers game, had he caught those two balls, we may have won the game.

vikingivan
07-26-2007, 01:01 PM
"Billy" wrote:


"vikingivan" wrote:


"CCthebest" wrote:


I wasnt saying Marcus Robinson was a great receiver. He was however the best we had.

Our whole offense is unproven. Other then the running game, which we all hope will be even better. But we still have no idea if the Oline can pass protect. TJ is raw enough without having to dodge D linemen all day. We had enough 3rd and longs last year, and then all the dump passes childress called.


As long as we are on the topic of receivers could someone please tell me why we would sign Bobby Wade to a 5year 15 million dollar contract.
I realize that this contract is not guaranteed and he will never be a Viking the entire time.
So let's say it is a one year 3 million dollar contract.
He has 2 career receiving touchdowns.
His best year he 42 receptions for 481 yards.
Wow, we made a big splash in the free agent market signing him.
I am sure the other 31 teams in the NFL all got a good laugh out of that signing.




So you think Wade is a filler until they can upgrade the position or something? Intersting.

4 mil guarenteed

Base
2007
950000.00
2008
1950000.00
2009
2950000.00
2010
2700000.00
2011
2700000.00


Regardless I would have to disagree as Wade fits Chili's KAO nicely.
Seems like Chili has two types of recievers he likes.
Red zone threats and then your short, precise, speedy/explosive recievers that can get YAC.




Thanks for the breakdown.
I hope he does well.
I hope he is a great receiver.
I just don't see how a guy who had 10 fumbles losing 4 of them in 2005 is going to be a big addition to our receiver corps.

V-Unit
07-26-2007, 01:02 PM
Both Travis Taylor and Troy Williamson had better seasons than Bobby Wade did last year, and he barely out performed Robinson. Wade needs his best season yet to live up to expectations. He, like the rest of our WRs, has to take it to the next level. If he has another 35 catch, sub-500 year it won't be acceptable.

vikingivan
07-26-2007, 01:03 PM
"happy" wrote:


"vikingivan" wrote:


"NodakPaul" wrote:


"vikingivan" wrote:


"CCthebest" wrote:


I wasnt saying Marcus Robinson was a great receiver. He was however the best we had.

Our whole offense is unproven. Other then the running game, which we all hope will be even better. But we still have no idea if the Oline can pass protect. TJ is raw enough without having to dodge D linemen all day. We had enough 3rd and longs last year, and then all the dump passes childress called.


As long as we are on the topic of receivers could someone please tell me why we would sign Bobby Wade to a 5year 15 million dollar contract.
I realize that this contract is not guaranteed and he will never be a Viking the entire time.
So let's say it is a one year 3 million dollar contract.
He has 2 career receiving touchdowns.
His best year he 42 receptions for 481 yards.
Wow, we made a big splash in the free agent market signing him.
I am sure the other 31 teams in the NFL all got a good laugh out of that signing.


First of all, I don't know exactly how Wade's contract is laid out, but just because he has a five year 15 million dollar contract doesn't mean that he gets 3 million per year.
It can be front loaded, back loaded, much of it performance based...

Second, you complain about a 42 rec 481 yard year.
I would actually say that last year was his best with 33 rec and 461 yards.
Much better average.
And in case you are curious, that is better than any of the WRs we had on the Vikings last year, including the oft-loved MRob.

Third, what would you rather do?
Pay $15 million over five years to a decent WR, or pay five to seven times that amount to a WR who is barely slightly better? Much more bang for your buck with Wade.

Lastly, I think at the end of this year, the Vikings will be the ones who are laughing...


Twill had 37 grabs for 455 yards last year and people on this site are saying it is now or never for him.
How much different our his stats from Wade's.
Look very similar to me.
He may be the type of receiver that fits into the Childress offensive scheme.
I don't know, but based on his statistics for the past couple of years he doesn't look all that impressive to me.
As far as his contract is concerned, it is difficult for us to no how much of it was signing bonus, or if it is back loaded or incentive based.
I would have sooner spent more money and got an above average lineman for the right side of the line.
That would have served us better than an average wide receiver.
Remember, I am only basing my judgement on statistics, and some times they do lie.
He may be better than I know.
I certainly hope he is.
But, since I have never followed his career, statistics is all I have to go on.


It is Troy Williamson's drops that has him in hot water with the fans and most likely the coaching staff.

Crucial drops in the 49ers game, had he caught those two balls, we may have won the game.




Twills drops cost us more games than that.

happy camper
07-26-2007, 01:05 PM
I'm aware of that. Anyone who watched Vikings games last year knows Troy had some big drops.

vikingivan
07-26-2007, 01:08 PM
"V" wrote:


Both Travis Taylor and Troy Williamson had better seasons than Bobby Wade did last year, and he barely out performed Robinson. Wade needs his best season yet to live up to expectations. He, like the rest of our WRs, has to take it to the next level. If he has another 35 catch, sub-500 year it won't be acceptable.


No it won't be, we need him in the 55-60 catch range around 850 yards and 6 TD's.
I would be happy with that.

Billy Boy
07-26-2007, 01:25 PM
"vikingivan" wrote:



Thanks for the breakdown.
I hope he does well.
I hope he is a great receiver.
I just don't see how a guy who had 10 fumbles losing 4 of them in 2005 is going to be a big addition to our receiver corps.


There is always a story to everything.
The Titan fans were concerned about his fumbles also when he came there. They happened a year when he had trouble retuning punts. He was actually address by Smith and corrected the problem.
I don't think Childress has special teams plans for Wade.


The salary concern you have is intersting.
I don't see it a problem if he does not meet his expectations this season and some of the younger guys step up he can easily bet let go as cap space should be able to handle the hit.
Unfortunately I don't think next years FA WR crop is much better.
I don't see that happening though as I have high expectations for Wade as far as him playing his role very well.
I am not saying he will have ridiculous stats because I expect the receptions to be spread out and the offense balanced overall.

NodakPaul
07-26-2007, 01:55 PM
"Billy" wrote:


"vikingivan" wrote:



Thanks for the breakdown.
I hope he does well.
I hope he is a great receiver.
I just don't see how a guy who had 10 fumbles losing 4 of them in 2005 is going to be a big addition to our receiver corps.


There is always a story to everything.
The Titan fans were concerned about his fumbles also when he came there. They happened a year when he had trouble retuning punts. He was actually address by Smith and corrected the problem.
I don't think Childress has special teams plans for Wade.


The salary concern you have is intersting.
I don't see it a problem if he does not meet his expectations this season and some of the younger guys step up he can easily bet let go as cap space should be able to handle the hit.
Unfortunately I don't think next years FA WR crop is much better.
I don't see that happening though as I have high expectations for Wade as far as him playing his role very well.
I am not saying he will have ridiculous stats because I expect the receptions to be spread out and the offense balanced overall.


I was going to post this but you beat me to it.

Yes, the vast majority of those fumbles were on special teams.
In fact, I think there was one game with the bears where he lost four fumbles!
But those problems look to be in the past, and like you said, he isn't slated for special teams anyway.

Marrdro
07-26-2007, 02:21 PM
"vikingivan" wrote:


"CCthebest" wrote:


I wasnt saying Marcus Robinson was a great receiver. He was however the best we had.

Our whole offense is unproven. Other then the running game, which we all hope will be even better. But we still have no idea if the Oline can pass protect. TJ is raw enough without having to dodge D linemen all day. We had enough 3rd and longs last year, and then all the dump passes childress called.


As long as we are on the topic of receivers could someone please tell me why we would sign Bobby Wade to a 5year 15 million dollar contract.
I realize that this contract is not guaranteed and he will never be a Viking the entire time.
So let's say it is a one year 3 million dollar contract.
He has 2 career receiving touchdowns.
His best year he 42 receptions for 481 yards.
Wow, we made a big splash in the free agent market signing him.
I am sure the other 31 teams in the NFL all got a good laugh out of that signing.


Another question/issue that keeps rubbing me the wrong way.
Why in the heck do you think we signed him?

Because he can't catch a football?
Because he can't get off the line quick?
Because he can't get YAC?

Comeon my friend, it is because he can do all of those things and will fit in the WCO scheme.

Sheeeeeessssshhhh
Were do we find these guys.
Go back to reading Tom Powers articles.
;D

V-Unit
07-26-2007, 02:48 PM
"Marrdro" wrote:


"vikingivan" wrote:


"CCthebest" wrote:


I wasnt saying Marcus Robinson was a great receiver. He was however the best we had.

Our whole offense is unproven. Other then the running game, which we all hope will be even better. But we still have no idea if the Oline can pass protect. TJ is raw enough without having to dodge D linemen all day. We had enough 3rd and longs last year, and then all the dump passes childress called.


As long as we are on the topic of receivers could someone please tell me why we would sign Bobby Wade to a 5year 15 million dollar contract.
I realize that this contract is not guaranteed and he will never be a Viking the entire time.
So let's say it is a one year 3 million dollar contract.
He has 2 career receiving touchdowns.
His best year he 42 receptions for 481 yards.
Wow, we made a big splash in the free agent market signing him.
I am sure the other 31 teams in the NFL all got a good laugh out of that signing.


Another question/issue that keeps rubbing me the wrong way.
Why in the heck do you think we signed him?

Because he can't catch a football?
Because he can't get off the line quick?
Because he can't get YAC?

Comeon my friend, it is because he can do all of those things and will fit in the WCO scheme.

Sheeeeeessssshhhh
Were do we find these guys.
Go back to reading Tom Powers articles.

;D


Maybe we signed him because the coach and front office have no idea what they are doing.

Nah, that can't be it.

Marrdro
07-26-2007, 02:52 PM
"V" wrote:


"Marrdro" wrote:


"vikingivan" wrote:


"CCthebest" wrote:


I wasnt saying Marcus Robinson was a great receiver. He was however the best we had.

Our whole offense is unproven. Other then the running game, which we all hope will be even better. But we still have no idea if the Oline can pass protect. TJ is raw enough without having to dodge D linemen all day. We had enough 3rd and longs last year, and then all the dump passes childress called.


As long as we are on the topic of receivers could someone please tell me why we would sign Bobby Wade to a 5year 15 million dollar contract.
I realize that this contract is not guaranteed and he will never be a Viking the entire time.
So let's say it is a one year 3 million dollar contract.
He has 2 career receiving touchdowns.
His best year he 42 receptions for 481 yards.
Wow, we made a big splash in the free agent market signing him.
I am sure the other 31 teams in the NFL all got a good laugh out of that signing.


Another question/issue that keeps rubbing me the wrong way.
Why in the heck do you think we signed him?

Because he can't catch a football?
Because he can't get off the line quick?
Because he can't get YAC?

Comeon my friend, it is because he can do all of those things and will fit in the WCO scheme.

Sheeeeeessssshhhh
Were do we find these guys.
Go back to reading Tom Powers articles.

;D


Maybe we signed him because the coach and front office have no idea what they are doing.

Nah, that can't be it.

You again
;D
;D
;D
;D
;D

Don't encourage these guys my friend.
They don't know anybetter.
Comments like that will lead them to believe that we don't have any scouts, cap experts, or coaching staff.
Heck they almost might be convinced that our owner is a putz and doesn't have the faintest idea on how to run a business.

;D
;D
;D
;D

vikingivan
07-26-2007, 02:57 PM
"Marrdro" wrote:


"vikingivan" wrote:


"CCthebest" wrote:


I wasnt saying Marcus Robinson was a great receiver. He was however the best we had.

Our whole offense is unproven. Other then the running game, which we all hope will be even better. But we still have no idea if the Oline can pass protect. TJ is raw enough without having to dodge D linemen all day. We had enough 3rd and longs last year, and then all the dump passes childress called.


As long as we are on the topic of receivers could someone please tell me why we would sign Bobby Wade to a 5year 15 million dollar contract.
I realize that this contract is not guaranteed and he will never be a Viking the entire time.
So let's say it is a one year 3 million dollar contract.
He has 2 career receiving touchdowns.
His best year he 42 receptions for 481 yards.
Wow, we made a big splash in the free agent market signing him.
I am sure the other 31 teams in the NFL all got a good laugh out of that signing.


Another question/issue that keeps rubbing me the wrong way.
Why in the heck do you think we signed him?

Because he can't catch a football?
Because he can't get off the line quick?
Because he can't get YAC?

Comeon my friend, it is because he can do all of those things and will fit in the WCO scheme.

Sheeeeeessssshhhh
Were do we find these guys.
Go back to reading Tom Powers articles.

;D


Great so we signed a shorter Twill.
;D ;D ;D

Prophet
07-26-2007, 03:03 PM
Yes.
People, a good proportion of them are of the Moss-crotch-sniffer variety, are not happy.
I like that the team is being built with purpose.
Build up those damn lines.
The QB situation is a big question mark, so what.
If they need to rethink the QB situation, oh well, the rest of the team is on the mend with talent and attitudes.
On the other hand, the QB situation may be fixed already.

It's nice to see the Chicken Littles come out of the shadows.
Most of them will go back into their basements until an L.
They do it every year, hide in the shadows when things are going well and resurface after an ugly game.
I find it interesting that the site is way busier after a loss, compared to a win.
I guess many just like to bitch and moan, I have no problem with that.....just bring content or I will rip out your esophagus, fill it with Quikrete, and beat you with it.

Marrdro
07-26-2007, 03:16 PM
just bring content or I will rip out your esophagus, fill it with Quikrete, and beat you with it.

That one is almost worth getting rid of a quote on my sig.

Webby, we need more room for qoutes in our sig block so I can carry 3.

;D

PurpleHornsOfDestruction
07-26-2007, 09:55 PM
In this case I agree with Marrdo. Crazy huh. I like Bobby Wade. He is not horrible. He was probably the second best free agent receiver. We all knew Stallworth was prolly out of reach for us. Didnt have the money or winning team. He is exceptional. Kevin Curtis maybe. I think Philly way over payed for him and we got cheaper and possibly as good. He had near as good of stats last year as Kevin Curtis and didnt have Bulger throwing him the ball or Torry Holt and Isaac Bruce taking all the coverage.



Kevin Curtis
Year




Team








G


GS

Rec.

yrd.
Av. yrd. Long
TD
1st downs
2006 St. Louis Rams



16 1 40


479 12.0 42 4 27
http://www.nfl.com/players/playerpage/395944



Bobby Wade
Year




Team








G


GS

Rec.

yrd.
Av. yrd. Long
TD
1st downs
2006 Tennessee Titans 16 2 33 461 14.0 25 2 22

http://www.nfl.com/players/playerpage/396109


Not a huge difference there. 18 less yards OH NO. 18 less yards but with 7 less receptions is good. Better dare I say. And not as open like I said didnt have two stars occupying the DBs and Bulger not throwing him the ball.

PurpleHornsOfDestruction
07-26-2007, 10:00 PM
As far as do I think we're a better team though. I like my quote earlier. This is my 10 point improvement layout. I think signs point to YES!!! Enjoy.

"PurpleHornsOfDestruction" wrote:



In all fairness. We do have things going for us even without purple shades. I'm not saying we have enough to win a super bowl but it certainly looks promising























TEAM IMPROVEMENTS
1. Weakest division in the league. Everyone in our division doesn't have much upside except maybe us and the Lions. Green Bay. Lost Ahman Green. Brett Favre has been going down hill for a while and is one year older. One year worse. Chicago lost I think two guys on defense plus the defensive coordinator. That defense that carried that team might not be able to do it this year. They lost Thomas Jones. Without that 1-2 punch that will make T-Rex Gross man that much worse.


2. Second year under a new coach. Everyone knows the flow and has gotten into a groove and feel more comfortable under this coach. The coach has the type of players he wants and doesn't have the type of players he doesn't want

3. Second year under a new system. Players are now adjusted to the new system therefore have more of an idea on what they should do (less hesititation) knowing what the coaches want out of them and are all the people that fit that system. All these signs point to the players preforming better and therefore the team.



















OFFENSE IMPROVEMENTS
4. Second year for Tarvaris Jackson. he knows what he can and can't do. Felt the speed of the game. Know what it is. Now spent an off season becoming in sink with his receivers. Spent a year getting used to NFL practice and what not.

5. We improved our running game obviously we drafted Adrian Peterson. We have a one-two punch now with two great runningback to have one of the best runningback tandems in the league. That will also improve our pass game and make our second year quarterback look that much better when defense are attempting to play the run. As long as AD stays healthy and goes "All Day" then 4. and 5. put together and we got a good offense.

6. We added Bobby Wade who had as good of stats as Kevin Curtis and didnt have Marc Bulger throwing him the ball as well as Torry Holt and Isaac Bruce to occupy
DBs.
He should improve that receiver corp

7. Maybe- Troy Williamson entering his 3rd year. Make our break year for him. He corrected his eyes so he could turn into a breakout season for Williamson and be great. That would also help our receiver corp and our QB.























DEFENSE IMPROVEMENTS
8. Erasmus James is coming back off his injury. The only problem with our superior defense is no pass rush and james should bring that to our defense and make us even more dominent,

9. Greenways coming back and expected to breakout. He'll be good for our pass defense and run support because of his versitility. He'll end up great. And that will be great for our defense

10. We signed Mike Doss to our secondary and improve or pass defense even more.