PDA

View Full Version : PFT reports that Vikes are looking for a veteran Quarterback

NodakPaul
07-11-2007, 03:48 PM
http://www.profootballtalk.com/rumormill.htm

POSTED 3:25 p.m. EDT, July 11, 2007

VIKES LOOKING FOR VETERAN QUARTERBACK

Although Tarvaris Jackson remains the clear favorite to win the starting quarterback job in Minnesota, there's talk in league circles that the Vikings are hoping to find a veteran backup before the start of training camp.

Our guess is that coach Brad Childress (and perhaps some folks in the front office who might be in jeopardy if owner Zygi Wilf decides to dump the coach) wants to have a solid Plan B in place in the event that Jackson can't cut it.
Currently, the alternative is Brooks Bollinger, who might be a decent in-game injury replacement but not the guy on whose shoulders a coach should pin his career.

The only problem with this strategy is that there really aren't many/any veteran quarterbacks on the market.
Drew Bledsoe opted for retirement.
Daunte Culpepper is (or will be) available, but his bridge back to the land of Paul Bunyan was blown to smithereens in 2006.
Chris Weinke, a local native, is available, but the only problem is that he's Chris Weinke.

Another possibility would be for the Vikes to swing a deal for the eventual odd man out in Jacksonville, if the Jags land Daunte Culpepper.
But Quinn Gray or David Garrard might not have the level of experience that the Vikes might be looking for.

Perhaps the best bet is Kelly Holcomb, who's otherwise likely to get the short straw in Philly.
Though his time with the Eagles has been short, he'd be able to continue to develop in an identical offense in Minnesota.
Also, unless Donovan McNabb would have an unexpected setback in his ACL rehab that would land him on the PUP list, it's very likely that Holcomb will be cut, given the presence of A.J. Feely and the addition of Kevin Kolb.
So the Vikes could likely snare him now for a seventh-round pick.

NodakPaul
07-11-2007, 03:49 PM
I don't buy it personally.
PFT was the same site that started the Holcomb to Vikes rumor last week, and I think it is still just that -a rumor.

kyleo1967
07-11-2007, 03:50 PM
Just read a similar piece at PFW:

A possible minor deal that has been discussed: sending Eagles QB Kelly Holcomb to Minnesota for a 2008 late-round pick, likely a sixth- or seventh-rounder. A source confirmed that Vikings head coach Brad Childress, still friendly with his former Eagles co-workers, is keeping one eye open for veteran quarterbacks and possibly would be interested in Holcomb’s services.

Zeus
07-11-2007, 03:52 PM
"NodakPaul" wrote:

PFT was the same site that started the Holcomb to Vikes rumor last week, and I think it is still just that -a rumor.

PFT is also the place that suggested Bill Belichek wants to cement his legacy by winning a Super Bowl as an NFC coach just last week.
I think they're bored, too.

=Z=

BloodyHorns82
07-11-2007, 03:57 PM
I don't see any harm in spending a 7th round pick on Holcomb.
Just more competition.
The only down side is it seems like TJack has been gearing up to be the starter.
I'm fine with that IF chilly REALLY thinks that the kid is ready.
Otherwise, why traumatize TJack.
I'm going to be pissed if I have to watch deer in headlights for any extended period of time.

NodakPaul
07-11-2007, 03:59 PM
"Zeus" wrote:

"NodakPaul" wrote:

PFT is also the place that suggested Bill Belichek wants to cement his legacy by winning a Super Bowl as an NFC coach just last week.
I think they're bored, too.

=Z=

Good point.

Ltrey33
07-11-2007, 04:07 PM
I say BS. The entire offseason has passed and not a single veteran was looked at (no Schaub, Carr or Green) and now in the 11th hour, 2 weeks before training camp starts they are looking for a vet? No way.

vikingivan
07-11-2007, 04:13 PM
"Ltrey" wrote:

I say BS. The entire offseason has passed and not a single veteran was looked at (no Schaub, Carr or Green) and now in the 11th hour, 2 weeks before training camp starts they are looking for a vet? No way.

I do believe the asking price was to high for Schaub.
I don't believe many teams were interested in Trent Green.
I don't see why they would have been anyway.
I think we should have made a play on Carr.
He had no line in Houston.
There is no telling if he could be good or not.

jmcdon00
07-11-2007, 04:26 PM
"vikingivan" wrote:

"Ltrey" wrote:

Can anyone say Daunte.

Dragon_Eagle
07-11-2007, 04:37 PM
Carr, Green, and Schaub would not have made sense for Minnesota.
All 3 are clearly starting caliber QBs (well, we'll find out if Schaub is - but he certainly has been hyped as one).
It wouldn't make sense for the Vikings, unless they were giving up on Jackson already, which doesn't appear to be the case.

The Holcomb rumor has been around for a while now and its one of those that appears to help both teams.
Here's a LINK http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/story/6973966
to a piece by Schein with quotes from Holcomb expressing interest in the move to Minny.
Holcomb would be an upgrade over Bollinger and add veteran depth.
The Eagles will likely settle for a 7th round pick and be thrilled with a 6th.
However, this trade will not occur until the Eagles are comfortable that McNabb is ready to go.
They may also wait until late into pre-season to see if Holcomb's market value rises if other teams suffer injuries to their QBs.
The Eagles love collecting draft picks and provided there are no injuries to the other 3 QBs on the roster, there is just no room for Holcomb.

sleepagent
07-11-2007, 04:42 PM
"Dragon_Eagle" wrote:

Carr, Green, and Schaub would not have made sense for Minnesota.
All 3 are clearly starting caliber QBs (well, we'll find out if Schaub is - but he certainly has been hyped as one).
It wouldn't make sense for the Vikings, unless they were giving up on Jackson already, which doesn't appear to be the case.

The Holcomb rumor has been around for a while now and its one of those that appears to help both teams.
Here's a LINK http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/story/6973966
to a piece by Schein with quotes from Holcomb expressing interest in the move to Minny.
Holcomb would be an upgrade over Bollinger and add veteran depth.
The Eagles will likely settle for a 7th round pick and be thrilled with a 6th.

However, this trade will not occur until the Eagles are comfortable that McNabb is ready to go.
They may also wait until late into pre-season to see if Holcomb's market value rises if other teams suffer injuries to their QBs.
The Eagles love collecting draft picks and provided there are no injuries to the other 3 QBs on the roster, there is just no room for Holcomb.

You lost me at Schein.
I can't stand that dork who thinks he's all that.

purplepat
07-11-2007, 04:44 PM
"NodakPaul" wrote:

Our guess is that coach Brad Childress (and perhaps some folks in the front office who might be in jeopardy if owner Zygi Wilf decides to dump the coach) wants to have a solid Plan B in place in the event that Jackson can't cut it.

Pure speculation on PFT's part.
I quote directly from them...."Our guess is...".
That means they have absolutely zero inside information that the Vikings are even interested in a veteran QB, or Holcomb specifically.

I say, why send the Iggles a draft pick?
Either wait and sign him when he's cut (since he's not slated to be the starter, he will have plenty of time to come up to speed), or offer Drew Henson straight up for Holcomb (Iggles brass laugh, though Henson might be eligible for the Iggles PS where Holcomb would not be).

Dragon_Eagle
07-11-2007, 04:51 PM
"sleepagent" wrote:

You lost me at Schein.

Fair enough.
The only real info there is that the potential move to Minny is clearly on Holcomb's mind and he sounds like he'd be quite happy with it.

"purplepat" wrote:

Either wait and sign him when he's cut (since he's not slated to be the starter, he will have plenty of time to come up to speed), or offer Drew Henson straight up for Holcomb (Iggles brass laugh, though Henson might be eligible for the Iggles PS where Holcomb would not be).

Waiting for him to get cut may work.
It depends on how many other teams are looking to add a backup QB and how many others get hurt during pre-season/TC.
The Eagles will not take another backup QB.

Json
07-11-2007, 04:55 PM
My opinion is screw a veteran.
Rich Gannon is on the payroll and has been helping with T. Jack the way it is.
I say feed T. Jack to the wolves, let him get a better feel for the game and at the end of the year if it didn't fair well, we can pick up a guy in the draft being that we'll most likely have a decent pick in the 1st round if T. Jack don't pan out.
Then start worrying more.
The reports I read about T. Jack is that he's coming along very nicely.
I think the kid's going to be a winner in this league and with time we'll see.

ChiTownVike
07-11-2007, 05:10 PM
Im with Json on this one. Im tired of having these guys who could play 5 years ago or never really were good.
I wanna see new blood this year, not Holcomb crap

COJOMAY
07-11-2007, 05:19 PM
For a 7th round pick, I'd snap him up. He know the system and he can help out TJ. So what if he's a clipboard holder? Plenty of 7th rounders haven't even made it that far. And it's not like the Vikes are low on salary cap.

BloodyHorns82
07-11-2007, 05:32 PM
"COJOMAY" wrote:

For a 7th round pick, I'd snap him up. He know the system and he can help out TJ. So what if he's a clipboard holder? Plenty of 7th rounders haven't even made it that far. And it's not like the Vikes are low on salary cap.

Thats exactly what I'm saying...who cares if we lose a 7th round pick.

Mr Anderson
07-11-2007, 05:37 PM
"Dragon_Eagle" wrote:

"sleepagent" wrote:

You lost me at Schein.

Fair enough.
The only real info there is that the potential move to Minny is clearly on Holcomb's mind and he sounds like he'd be quite happy with it.

"purplepat" wrote:

Waiting for him to get cut may work.
It depends on how many other teams are looking to add a backup QB and how many others get hurt during pre-season/TC.
The Eagles will not take another backup QB.

I don't really care what we do about a veteran backup QB.

But I love your avatar and that's why I'm posting.

ejmat
07-11-2007, 05:49 PM
IMO Holcomb would be an upgrade over Bollinger.
It never hurts to upgrade the team especially if you can do it by trading a 7th rounder.
I do believe TJack can be a winner but as far as "Screwing a veteran" is concerned that isn't too smart.
It's always good to have a veteran back up to help a young QB.
Holcomb, like Carr has never had a real good front line to protect him.
I think he has more talent than his career proves (again just my opinion.)
Bottom line he's better than Bollinger and Henson.
That equals upgrade.

BloodyHorns82
07-11-2007, 05:54 PM
"ejmat" wrote:

IMO Holcomb would be an upgrade over Bollinger.
It never hurts to upgrade the team especially if you can do it by trading a 7th rounder.
I do believe TJack can be a winner but as far as "Screwing a veteran" is concerned that isn't too smart.
It's always good to have a veteran back up to help a young QB.
Holcomb, like Carr has never had a real good front line to protect him.
I think he has more talent than his career proves (again just my opinion.)
Bottom line he's better than Bollinger and Henson.
That equals upgrade.

Not to mention he is already familiar with our offense.
That is a big plus IMO.

Dragon_Eagle
07-11-2007, 06:12 PM
"Mr" wrote:

I don't really care what we do about a veteran backup QB.

But I love your avatar and that's why I'm posting.

That's Jason Short from the 2004 season.
Guy was a special teams animal, but kept getting himself injured because he played like that constantly.
He's with the Browns now.
I have no idea who the Lions player is or whether he ever got up after that.

singersp
07-11-2007, 06:57 PM
Holcomb
Passing
[tr][td]Year Team G GS Att Comp Pct Yds YPA Lg TD Int Tkld 20+ 40+ Rate
1996 Indianapolis Colts 0 0 0 0 --- 0 --- 0 0 0 0/0 0 0 ---
1997 Indianapolis Colts 5 1 73 45 61.6 454 6.22 41 1 8 11/76 4 1 44.3
1998 Indianapolis Colts 0 0 0 0 --- 0 --- 0 0 0 0/0 0 0 ---
1999 Indianapolis Colts 0 0 0 0 --- 0 --- 0 0 0 0/0 0 0 ---
2000 Indianapolis Colts 0 0 0 0 --- 0 --- 0 0 0 0/0 0 0 ---
2001 Cleveland Browns 1 0 12 7 58.3 114 9.50 25 1 0 0/0 3 0 118.1
2002 Cleveland Browns 4 2 106 64 60.4 790 7.45 44 8 4 5/40 11 2 92.9
2003 Cleveland Browns 10 8 302 193 63.9 1797 5.95 68 10 12 21/166 12 1 74.6
2004 Cleveland Browns 4 2 87 59 67.8 737 8.47 55 7 5 5/31 10 2 96.8
2005 Buffalo Bills 10 8 230 155 67.4 1509 6.56 65 10 8 17/140 14 3 85.6
2006 Buffalo Bills 0 0 0 0 --- 0 --- 0 0 0 0/0 0 0 ---
TOTAL

34 21 810 523 64.6 5401 6.67 68 37 37 59/453 54 9 79.9

Bollinger
[tr][td]Passing
Year Team G GS Att Comp Pct Yds YPA Lg TD Int Tkld 20+ 40+ Rate
2003 New York Jets 0 0 0 0 --- 0 --- 0 0 0 0/0 0 0 ---
2004 New York Jets 1 0 9 5 55.6 60 6.67 26 0 0 1/8 1 0 76.2
2005 New York Jets 11 9 266 150 56.4 1558 5.86 60 7 6 32/193 16 4 72.9
2006 Minnesota Vikings 2 0 18 13 72.2 146 8.11 50 0 1 6/42 1 1 72.9
TOTAL

14 9 293 168 57.3 1764 6.02 60 7 7 39/243 18 5 73.0

sleepagent
07-11-2007, 07:08 PM
I don't care for either . . . there both pretty unimpressive if you ask me.

seaniemck7
07-11-2007, 10:25 PM
"purplepat" wrote:

"NodakPaul" wrote:

Pure speculation on PFT's part.
I quote directly from them...."Our guess is...".
That means they have absolutely zero inside information that the Vikings are even interested in a veteran QB, or Holcomb specifically.

Here is a link to Holcomb's quote : http://vikings.scout.com/2/655760.html

Holcomb knows his days are numbered in Philly.
I would take him over Henson any day.
I like PFT's observation though.
Bollinger is a good in-game injury back up.
If he has to play a 5-7 game stretch for us, I don't think he's our best option.
For a 7th rounder of if he's cut, definitely bring him in.

cajunvike
07-11-2007, 11:07 PM
"jmcdon00" wrote:

"vikingivan" wrote:

"Ltrey" wrote:

Can anyone say Daunte.

HELL FUCKING NO!!!

cajunvike
07-11-2007, 11:08 PM
Is Dragon_Eagle really Kelly Holcomb undercover?
LOL

Or his AGENT?
Ha ha!

jessejames09
07-11-2007, 11:12 PM
post whore.

jessejames09
07-11-2007, 11:13 PM
Anyone else notice that post-whoring by cajun. He could have easily edited his first post. 8)

cajunvike
07-11-2007, 11:16 PM
And so could have you...POST WHORE!!!

NDVikingFan66
07-11-2007, 11:55 PM
Of course they are going to report that.
My guess is they are not saying it publicly, but the vikes may be sitting back, keeping their mouths shut, and seeing what happens.

If Chilly is close with the folks in Philly still, maybe he has know for sometime that Holcomb is odd man out.

It is easy to write an article like that, and make those kinds of statements.
Bet you could say that about any team in the league about some position or another.

PurpleHornsOfDestruction
07-12-2007, 01:14 AM
"Ltrey" wrote:

This may be my anti-TJack glasses here but maybe Childress didn't think TJacks progression and development was at where he would have hoped by training camp and thought to maybe give him a couple years behind a veteran as originally planned and how most scout had expected him to be

http://www.nfl.com/draft/profiles/2006/jackson_tarvaris

He would be a great pick towards the end of the draft and will need to spend a few seasons developing before he is ready to legitimately compete for a starting job.

Just a guess but I do agree with your statement that he should have done it guys like Garcia and Green still on the table

V-Unit
07-12-2007, 01:26 AM
Can we at least agree that if Childress signs a vet now he is a dumbass? Why wait till now?

NDVikingFan66
07-12-2007, 02:34 AM
Dumbass, or someone who is just carefully planning his moves.
The QB's were there, but were they really all that great, or worth getting into a bidding war with?
The longer someone sits on the market, the less they become worth.
Just like anything else.

ejmat
07-12-2007, 07:55 AM
What we have to remember is as fans we want things done immediately.
I am as guilty as anyone.
If we see a decent FA our first instinct is get him.
However, sometimes when your job is on the line you want to be careful.
I for one thought Carr would be a great pick up.
However, he may have cost too much.
Therefore, I believe Childress is thinking, if I pay someone a bunch of money and he doesn't cut it I'm in trouble.
Whereas if he gets someone that can be insurance and it won't cost much I can take the chance.

That being said, when I say cost much I'm looking at both salary and trade value.
Carr was cut so we wouldn't have to give up anything for him but we would have to pay him probably more than TJ to most likely be his back up.
Getting someone like Holcomb won't be too expensive salary wise or trade wise and he will know his role from the beginning.

This of course is just my theory on the situation.

Marrdro
07-12-2007, 08:11 AM
Couple other points to ponder gentlemen......

a.
Premise of the article is that B-chill and the staff are looking at a Vet QB because thier jobs might be on the line.

Everything I have read this year or heard on TV is in fact the opposite.
Ziggy is behind the big picture plan of rebuilding with youth for the long haul.
With that in mind I think the current coaching staff (not just B-chill) has a bit more time than a 2 year window to produce.

b.
TJ hasn't progressed as planned.

Again, everything I have read or watched on the tube shows that he is in fact progressing along nicely. Is he ready to win us a SB?
Probably not.
But is he stinking up the place in OTA's to the point that all hope is lost?
Probably not that either.

On a side note, they might/could bring a guy in that fits the system for competition (i.e. Holcomb for a 7th round pick) or if one of the QB's goes down in TC but I just don't see it as a "B-chill insurance policy" or as "TJ isn't what was expected" plan.

V-Unit
07-12-2007, 10:45 AM
Well, if Holcomb was the guy Childress was eyeing all along it makes sense. Otherwise he was just waiting for all the talent to disappear, which is exaclty what he did with the QB situation last year....

I for one also wanted Carr to come here, and start. It's a win, win really. TJ makes for a competent backup while gaining experience. Carr starts and has a chance to play well. If he doesn't he gets benched and TJ is in. Basically what we are doing now, but Carr is much better than Bollinger, regardless of throwing angle.

We could have afforded Carr, we chose not to take a chance on him, and to take one on TJ instead. Either way a veteran presence is needed at QB.

mountainviking
07-12-2007, 11:40 AM
Personally, if he's going to tutor and hold a clip board, I was thinking Bledsoe...tons of experience, not a bad QB, just not mobile at all anymore...?
Guess he's retired, eh?
The other vet that is still out there (sort of) is Plummer, but Tampa will want at least the fourth they traded to DEN, and Plummer will want to start, so that is probably not an option either...maybe Holcomb is our best vet bet.
Eleven years experience in 3 or more systems with a career comp% of 64.6 is pretty nice for a backup, but the 37 TD/37 INT ratio is kind of scary :o

PFT probably is as bored as we are :)
But, the rumor does have some merit, as we have a history of dealing with the Eagles, and it does look like they've got one too many QBs.

Here is something no one else mentioned, Tyler Thigpen.
Another TJack style player from an even later round, Thigpen has tons of potential but his experience is limited to a small school program...he could end up on the PS for a year or two, but he did have some impressive stats in school!!
With Hensen, we've got 4 QBs ourselves, and Bollinger actually looked pretty good in that one drive before he got hurt...72% comp with one for 50 yds ain't all bad...if I remember correctly, he got us into FG range if not the redzone before he went down...?

And, I also get the feeling that Brad has essentially been guaranteed 3 or 4 years to build a young team for the future as well...so I don't see that being the motivation.
I'm all for TJack getting tested by fire!!
There will always be pressure in the NFL, so learning that way makes sense to me!

jargomcfargo
07-12-2007, 11:54 AM
"Marrdro" wrote:

a.
Premise of the article is that B-chill and the staff are looking at a Vet QB because thier jobs might be on the line.

Ziggy is behind the big picture plan of rebuilding with youth for the long haul.
With that in mind I think the current coaching staff (not just B-chill) has a bit more time than a 2 year window to produce.

b.

Again, everything I have read or watched on the tube shows that he is in fact progressing along nicely. Is he ready to win us a SB?
Probably not.

On a side note, they might/could bring a guy in that fits the system for competition (i.e. Holcomb for a 7th round pick) or if one of the QB's goes down in TC but I just don't see it as a "B-chill insurance policy" or as "TJ isn't what was expected" plan.

Agreed. In addition there is no value in having a mediocre veteran tutor a young QB.

You pay the money to bring in a veteran to start and allow TJ more time or you try to give TJ the tools to ease his transition to starting.

Childress opted to do the latter although only time will tell if the receivers he brought in will help TJ. I feel peterson will.

I believe we have our qb's for this season unless an injury occurs.

It's a ballsy risk by Childress. But he appears to have a pair.

Zeus
07-12-2007, 11:56 AM
"jargomcfargo" wrote:

"Marrdro" wrote:

a.

b.

Probably not.

Agreed. In addition there is no value in having a mediocre veteran tutor a young QB.

I don't know about that.
Mediocre or not, there's a reason that these guys hang around the NFL year-after-year.
Don't you think Gus Frerotte played a pretty big role with the Vikings when he was backing up Daunte?

=Z=

Marrdro
07-12-2007, 12:01 PM
"jargomcfargo" wrote:

"Marrdro" wrote:

a.

b.

Probably not.

You pay the money to bring in a veteran to start and allow TJ more time or you try to give TJ the tools to ease his transition to starting.

Childress opted to do the latter although only time will tell if the receivers he brought in will help TJ. I feel peterson will.

I believe we have our qb's for this season unless an injury occurs.

It's a ballsy risk by Childress. But he appears to have a pair.

And they don't really need to be as big as most would thing especially if he has the backing of a patient owner who believes in the plan and continuity at the head coach level.......

At least that is the way I read the tea leaves.

vikingivan
07-12-2007, 12:01 PM
"V" wrote:

Can we at least agree that if Childress signs a vet now he is a dumbass? Why wait till now?

I agree.
He should have had a veteran QB signed months ago.
Someone to tutor TJack and step in and play if he is not ready.

jargomcfargo
07-12-2007, 12:04 PM
"Zeus" wrote:

"jargomcfargo" wrote:

"Marrdro" wrote:

a.

b.

Probably not.

I don't know about that.
Mediocre or not, there's a reason that these guys hang around the NFL year-after-year.
Don't you think Gus Frerotte played a pretty big role with the Vikings when he was backing up Daunte?

=Z=

Did he tutor Daunte? If so it didn't work.
He played better than Daunte when he had his shot and that was truly valuable.
Otherwise I'm not sure how he was any more valuable than Bollinger might be.
Why trade one mediocre player for another?

V-Unit
07-12-2007, 12:12 PM
I'm not talking about a mentor as much as a solid contingency plan. Most teams have an average run-of-the mill QB who isn't great but proven to not suck. Jim Sorgi/David Carr/Damon Huard are examples. We don't have that.

jmcdon00
07-12-2007, 12:23 PM
"V" wrote:

I'm not talking about a mentor as much as a solid contingency plan. Most teams have an average run-of-the mill QB who isn't great but proven to not suck. Jim Sorgi/David Carr/Damon Huard are examples. We don't have that.

I don't have a problem with Bollinger as the back-up, i am more worried about Tjack as the starter. ;)

jargomcfargo
07-12-2007, 12:23 PM
"V" wrote:

I don't disagree with that concept. It's just that Childress had Bollinger as the contingency plan last year and I think he is going to stick with him unless someone gets hurt.

ejmat
07-12-2007, 12:31 PM
"Zeus" wrote:

"jargomcfargo" wrote:

"Marrdro" wrote:

a.

b.

Probably not.

I don't know about that.

=Z=

He had a huge role backing up Daunte.