PDA

View Full Version : TICE NEEDS TO GO!!!!!!!!!

Vikes
11-02-2004, 10:00 PM
Actually just wanted to say I've been observing this board for about the last year and want to say it's good to be around other serious Viking fans.

I'm sorry all this is my first post and it's not postive.

Mike Tice is not a good coach. We have probaly the best talent in the NFL and I feel TICE is just clueless out there.

Did anyone else see during the Giants game. Randy Moss standing next to Tice and pointing to items on the field basically coaching the coach.

I'm sorry but Tice will not get the job done. We need to cut our losses and get a real coach.

Did anyone else see the stat ESPN posted about the only 2 coaches with no prior coaching expereince. Tice is one of them.

I'm sorry this is not a personal attack againts Tice. Coaching at any level is a rite of passage Tice has been a player but this is not the same as coaching. I live in AZ I was at the Phx game last year, I can tell you Tice had that same bewildered look on his face like he always does when the game is not going according to plan. Not the Chucky face the what do I do now face!!!! He just stands there frozen never speaks. You look over at the Giants coach and he is commanding his MEN.

This is the same look Tony Dungy has, everyone watch this Monday at both of the OHH my god what do I do coaches. Why do you think George O'Leary was there lat year because Tice felt sorry for him about the ND job. Maybe a little mostly so he had a senior [consultant] person to help teach him how to coach. I'm sorry go learn how to coach on someones else team. Not mine with the absolute 2 best players in the league and no playoff's. Trust me the Vikings didn't lose all those games Mike Tice gets out coached!!

It's not all Tice's fault it's RED being cheap, Mike Tice will not be back [Mike should have been fired after the AZ game] because he is not helping to increase the value of the Vikings which is what Red wants so he can sell the team. The sooner this sale is over the better so we can focus on winning the SB with Moss still here.

Moss or no Moss the Vikings have a GREAT QB and when you have a GREAT QB you can overcome must problems during a game. Let's face it the Vikings have plenty of O talent. The D talent is okay the pass/rush is the problem. We just come up short on the sack and the GREAT QB's make us pay. Sorry for the long post!

MEN WE WILL STAY THE COURSE!

but Tice must go!!!!

ultravikingfan
11-02-2004, 10:23 PM
Wasn't Tice the Offensive Line Coach? Granted thats not a coordinator or anything. But, I do not think people go from nothing to a head coach in the NFL.

cajunvike
11-02-2004, 10:57 PM
Welcome vikes! WOW, what an auspicious beginning! You make some good points, but Tice is not all bad...granted, he has looked lost at times, but he has put together a pretty good team, especially on defense...however, it is a very young defense and with that inexperience comes growing pains. I want the Vikings to win as much as you do, but Denny didn't win any Super Bowls here either. I don't know about you, but I don't care if we make the playoffs if we don't win the Super Bowl. I would take 10 crappy years in a row in exchange for one Super Bowl win...no one remembers the Super Bowl losers unless they lose all of the ones that they are in...like us and Buffalo. I want that monkey off of our backs and no one has done it yet...so in that respect, Tice is no worse than Bud Grant or any other coach we have ever had. I know that is extreme, but at least Tice is attempting to build a defense to go with our explosive offense (something Denny never bothered to do). Let's at least give Tice until the end of the season to prove himself...after the season, we can pass judgment. Our window of opportunity is larger than many other teams, so if we don't win it all this year (though I hope we do), we will be back even stronger next year and for the next several years with our core intact. In summation, be a little patient...it will come!

Vikes
11-02-2004, 11:02 PM
"ultravikingfan" wrote:

Wasn't Tice the Offensive Line Coach? Granted thats not a coordinator or anything. But, I do not think people go from nothing to a head coach in the NFL.

I think your right. The other coach I think was Herm Edward. I'm going to email ESPN and get the actual stat and post it.

Still my point is Tice is not getting the job done with the talent he has.

Am I the only one concerned that the Lions have a coach now. The Lions are a threat to the Vikings and the Packers have the NFL favorite player on their side plus a decent coach. We are at maybe another 2 years before we dump Moss for salary cap reasons. If Jerry Rice can be cut anyone can be!

snowinapril
11-02-2004, 11:41 PM
I do agree, I am not saying he has to go but I do think that he gets out coached. Linehan is green also.

If we win the Bowl, it is because of the play of our players not our coach. I just don't think that Tice has "IT". Whatever "IT" is, I don't think he has it.

They had the stat on MNF didn't they or maybe it was Sunday night. It was worded that they had no previous Head Coach or Coordinating positions. Not in college or pros.

pudgesoprano
11-02-2004, 11:43 PM
The 47-year-old Edwards has brought the same enthusiasm he had as a player to his coaching. After a 10-year playing career with the Eagles, Rams and Falcons, Edwards got his start in coaching in 1989 with the Kansas City Chiefs as part of the NFL's Minority Coaching Fellowship program. He was an assistant with the Chiefs and Buccaneers before making his head coaching debut with the Jets this season

now it's time for my week off

diesavike
11-03-2004, 01:45 AM
In defense of Tice, I think he was left with a team that was dismal to say the least, the defense was absolutely horrid, the offense was powerful, but there were rifts between players. First of all, he's has Moss and DC playin on the same page, they're not arguing on the sidelines, and I think Tice has alot to do with that, whereas it seemed it didn't bother Denny that his "team leaders" would fight and argue on the sidelines. As far as the defense goes, we have alot more talent than we did when Tice took over, alot of young guys though, so it's gonna take time. I don't think Tice has to go, I think he's doin a hell of a job considering what he was left with. I will admit I've questioned some of his calls, but no coach always makes the right decisions. We've only lost 2 games, I don't think it's that bad, and I don't think it's time to call for his head.

hawaiianvike21
11-03-2004, 03:09 AM
The only way tice goes if this team collapses again like last year and doesnt reach the playoffs along with winning the divison. SUre i wasnt too happy with tice over the week but im willing to wait till the season is over to make a decision if he should be our coach or not.

Freya
11-03-2004, 06:19 AM
WRONG!
Tice is an excellent coach. If I thought that Tice had control of this team like he should have as head coach I might feel differently. Look at the subtleties for clues to what is REALLY going on here. For example: did someone lean on Tice to bring Bennet back in for the Giants game?!?

But while we are on the subject of calling for peoples heads..........

Smith. I have a hard time supporting someone who can't stay clean when his team depends on it.

Bennet. Injury prone, has only played 10 games out of the last 24 and turns into Mr. pouty pants when he doesn't get his starter job back immediately. Not a team player.

Hovan. Shut your mouth and play the game.

Dorsey. Wait until the guy next to you moves.

Linehan. Are you stuck?

That isn't all of the heads I would like to see roll but it is enough for now.

ultravikingfan
11-03-2004, 08:26 AM
I would have to say that when Smith got busted, the team really did not need him as bad as they do now. I wasn't sure that he was going to be this good.

purplehorn
11-03-2004, 08:54 AM
"Vikes" wrote:

"ultravikingfan" wrote:

Still my point is Tice is not getting the job done with the talent he has.

!

I know he's only got us in FIRST place in the division off with his head :scratch:

DoubleDown11
11-03-2004, 09:01 AM
If the Vikings somehow manage to piss away this season like they did last and fail to make the playoffs...
I agree, Tice needs to go.
He has never made the playoffs and some of his coaching decisions (ie not challenging TO TD catch to using 2 challenges in 1st quarter) are idiotic at best!
I would say the only thing Tice has done well the last few years is the draft, but who knows how much Tice ahould be credited and then again not getting your pick in time 2 years in a row is a joke!

Webby
11-03-2004, 09:31 AM
Geez, 5-2 and the whole house is crumbling, eh boys?

snowinapril
11-03-2004, 09:53 AM
Tice said and I will paraphrase this as best I can:

When we have the lead at half we win. We need to score and take the lead going into halftime.

What I say:

Coaching is a chess match. You go in at half whether you are behind or ahead and make adjustments. Then you execute and win.

You are not always going to have the lead at halftime. It takes coaching to come up with the right adjustments and be able to have your players prepared to implement what you want them to do.

This is a true test of how well a coach does. So far Tice is 0-1 this year in this situation. Let's give him a few more games and analyze this at the end of the season.

He isn't going anywhere anytime soon. For that matter, we may get next season to judge how well he coaches also, if Red gets what he wants.

I think Red was pushing it to sign him now, knowing that Tice may want more money the further he takes us into the playoffs.

snowinapril
11-03-2004, 09:57 AM
Truth is we all need some more experience and confidence that we can come from behind.

That is totally new territory for our team. All the games we won this season we have been in front the whole time(1 tie in Hou).

We need to prove that we can come from behind against a respectable team, like the Eagles and the Giants.

purplehorn
11-03-2004, 10:11 AM
"webmaster" wrote:

Geez, 5-2 and the whole house is crumbling, eh boys?

I say throw in the towel

Big C
11-03-2004, 11:05 AM
Tice is a good coach. From day one he came in saying he had a 3 year plan. I think he has done an excellent job of this 3 year plan by building up a respectable defense and tweaking the offense (adding Robinson and Wiggins was subtle but huge). You cannot blame a caoch for turnovers on the field which have led to our losses.

The D was looking sloppy with the stupid prevent scheme and Tice came down on Cottrell for that and look how the D played the last 2 weeks. We criticised Tice for drafting a 4th RB and look how much that helped. We critisiced Tice for having too many TEs and look at the situation we're in now. Who would have thought giving Hovan less reps would actually make him play better? Who would have thought glassman Raonall Smith would be such a big part of the defense this year? Moss wouldn't be the leader he is today if not for Tice.

We are 5-2 without our starting TE and OT and a whole damn flood of rotating injuries. So please just back-off Tice's case and let him get to the damn playoffs and prove you haters wrong. :angryfire:

UTVikfan
11-03-2004, 11:25 AM
Hello, Vikes. Glad to see you onboard, and posting. IMO, you shoulda been on at the first of the season, before we became 5-2, to rip on Tice. I am glad to see your first post full of content, care, and concern. I have a feeling you'll be more than welcome here. Tell me, if you hire Parcels for the Vikes job, paint him purple, and stick him on the sidelines with the same loosing streak he has now, in Dallas, wouldn't he look like Grimace wanting a Big Mac? Looks? The coach "LOOKS" lost? Looks like he wants a big mac? HUH? Last week, err, well, 8 weeks ago, Parcells was a great coach. Now off with his head TOO! Right? He can't coach, its obvious. Oh yeah, Parcells has what 3 rings? But he can't coach now. Give it some time. Tice is IMO doing great things but we will see. I sure as heck hope we don't see from the suckers that hire him away to have a 3 year plan like we had. Some bumps in the road? Yeah. ABANDON SHIP!!! CHEER FOR DETROIT THIS YEAR??? Um no. Its not like he is in Wanstedt's shoes.

mark
11-03-2004, 11:58 AM
Tice did a great job af getting a lot of talent there but I dont think he's to good at coaching it.

snowinapril
11-03-2004, 03:15 PM
I would feel better and the Viking players would feel less pressure if the COACH would just say hey, it was our fault we lost. "We got out coached" The game plan sucked. Not "we have a different Identity without Moss"

Anyway you sugar coat that ID problem, it was game plan which is coaching.

If he would have just said the palyers didn't play that is different. He said we can't play like we asked the players to play.

Am I right on this one?????

VKG4LFE
11-03-2004, 05:51 PM
I think Tice has done a helluva job. He has had some really good drafts, good the most marquee FA in the teams history and for the most part has had us playing pretty well. Have we made the playoffs? No. Was he left with anything on the defensive side of the ball? not really. He has done fine, at least we aren't the freakin' bears! Give him a break!

Vikes
11-03-2004, 05:57 PM
First I would like to say thanks for the great intelligent responses [no flames] to the topic.

I have heard what the majority of you are saying in the way of we are 5-2 and don't lose hope. I agree panic helps no one. My point is we have a young talented team and young inexperienced head coach. I can't understand why nobody is looking at who the Vikings beat and who they lost too. We beat teams we should beat! We've lost to all the competitive teams. In order to win the SB which is what all of us want. We need to start beating these competitive teams.

Eagles (Undefeated)
Giants (5-2)

Granted the scary thing is we should have beat the Eagles. The Eagles are not better then the Vikings. On the other hand the Giants D is GREAT! I agree with everyone on this broad about the fact we lost the Eagles game ourselves. The Giants are the best team in the NFC East not the overrated Eagles.

This week againt the Colts without Randy Moss will be the test if this Vikings coach is for real. We should be able to beat the Colts we are much deeper in the backfield, and have good wr's. Our D is much better than Colts. If Tice gets out coached I will be sharping the mid-season axe.

Once again men!!!!!
WE STAY THE COURSE!

VKG4LFE
11-03-2004, 06:01 PM
Didn't the Eagles crush the Giants in week 1?

Vikes
11-03-2004, 06:09 PM
"VKG4LFE" wrote:

Didn't the Eagles crush the Giants in week 1?

Yes you are correct but they had a new QB and a new head coach! It takes time to get adjusted!

It's not how you start it's how you finish. If you don't believe that ask a Vikings fan from last year!

snowinapril
11-03-2004, 06:09 PM
I give him this year and maybe next to do his thing. That is more than enough time to test drive this car. Either take it home or let someone else take it for a spin.

Actually I think that that would be great if he would say that. I will take the Vikes to the SuperBowl in Jan 2006 or someone else can have my job. SuperBowl or bust! That would be one hundred times better than calling your own home run. You would go down in the history books as a legend even if you lost every game after that Super Bowl.

Back to reality

But if we can't win it all with the team we have now and maybe a little improvement on the D. There are some questions RED should be asking himself.

Tice has found good talent and he has improved us. But is that enough? With the team that we have out there is that enough? I know every fan want their team to win the big game in January, is our team actually good enough to do it? Or do we settle for mediocracy?

On paper, we look better but on the field when it counts are we better? Could someone else get our guys to preform better on a weekly basis?

There will always be sceptics as long as a coach doesn't win the Super Bowl. Even then you will have that one idiot that says well so and so would have done better.

VKG4LFE
11-03-2004, 06:12 PM
I am a vikes fan, so I won't ask anybody, but I'm just saying. The giants played us well, but I just don't see how anyone can say they are better than the Eagles who haven't lost yet! I guess we'll see if they are for real this week against Pittsburgh!

snowinapril
11-03-2004, 06:17 PM
"Vikes" wrote:

This week againt the Colts without Randy Moss will be the test if this Vikings coach is for real. We should be able to beat the Colts we are much deeper in the backfield, and have good wr's. Our D is much better than Colts. If Tice gets out coached I will be sharping the mid-season axe.

Once again men!!!!!
WE STAY THE COURSE!

Yes i like what you said, this is a test. Tice need to cowboy up!

Like Tice says, Coaches coach and Players play.
The coaches need to put the players in a position to win this week. The certainly didn't last week. Players come in to the game to do what they were asked to do all week. Coaches provide that direction. Without the proper direction, it can be hard for a player to play, like swimming up stream.

PAvikesfan
11-03-2004, 06:28 PM
well, on one hand Tice is a players coach...he's always buddy buddy with the kids in school... I actually like that about him though does that attitude get the job done? can someone tell me one buddy buddy-type coach that got his team to a superbowl ring...? i am looking for those type like dungy and tice who you hardly ever see angry on the field.... i am really asking for an example and not being sarcastic.

On the other hand, here are reasons why I think Tice should be replaced if we don't make it to the second round of the playoffs this:

1. he used to be an Offensive linemen Coach--why...i ask, why were there so many O line penalties and holding penalties the first 3-4 games of the season... if that was his specialty, then what's Tice's deal... doesn't he know how to coach the big guys anymore.

2. he chokes when the vikes need to come from behind--he gives up...we saw it again last sunday against the Smalls...at end of the third quarter, the play calling was about as aggressive as a golf cart during rush hour traffic. A bit of this giving up happened in the Eagles game too (i was there), when Culpooper took the wind out of the teams sails by fumbling on the 1 inch line--the whole team including the coaching staff lost some hope. Also, we can't have a coach and a QB that both tend to fold when they are behind by more than a TD. That is just the plain truth for any team trying to win a SB.

in short, Offensive Line Coach who doesn't coach anymore and a guy who gets flustered by moderate wind.

other than that... i really like the guy. he just needs more balls.

later.

Calmwind
11-03-2004, 08:50 PM
Hello this is my first post and from what i have read it won't be my last. I am a hard core vikings fan and it embarasses me to see so called fans freaking out after one bad game. So what we lost and you want to fire the coach and axe the QB?? Big deal we lost 1, lets move on. IN case you didnt know there has not been an undeafeated team thru a season in over 30 years!! So expect losses!! I saw the game and yea they looked bad but ill take the 6 to 1 ratio of bad and good games every season.Yea we lost to philly but that because the TO td got screwed up or we were in it to win it! There were legit reasons they struggled against the Smalls. Strahan was going up again our rookie RT for 1! Thats a tuff matchup and Dorsey did as well as any rookie could against an allpro like Strahan. We also have alot of rookies starting and playing well. They are going to make mistakes but they are making more plays than mistakes! 5-2 is good the be injured at alot of key positions! I miss Kleinsasser prob the most but our other TE's have stepped up and thats what will keep us going is our depth. So why fire Tice? I think he has help bring in alot of good players or we would really be hurting because we have depth!! All coaches make mistakes and make bad decisions even Lombardi! Good coaches overcome and so will Tice! As far as Daunte being benched that just makes me laugh. Bench a pro bowl QB who is in the top 3 of every stat but the int stat? I wont coment on it because those who wish this must have low IQ and wouldnt understand anyway. To end i'll comment on who i think is our best RB ( and BTW big # 20 Moe Williams was 2nd in the NFL last year on 3rd down conversions only behind #40 Kleinsasser who was #1 in the league!) Onterio Smith is our best RB in my eyes! The games he started last year and this year he scaored TD's! Thats the bottem line he scores! Yea M&M is awesome for a rookie and he has a place with us for sure but not 1 TD yet! Bennet is fast as any RB in the league but he is fragile admit it! Onterio had what 3 td's ?? and 150 yards rushing against KC last year! The other game he started he scored 2 tds and 140 yards rushing! Plus all the good things he did at the begining of this year plus he scored!! Again, dont frwak out after 1 bad game geez!!
Purple Pride!

vikings_fan66
11-03-2004, 09:02 PM
"Calmwind" wrote:

Hello this is my first post and from what i have read it won't be my last. I am a hard core vikings fan and it embarasses me to see so called fans freaking out after one bad game. So what we lost and you want to fire the coach and axe the QB?? Big deal we lost 1, lets move on. IN case you didnt know there has not been an undeafeated team thru a season in over 30 years!! So expect losses!! I saw the game and yea they looked bad but ill take the 6 to 1 ratio of bad and good games every season.Yea we lost to philly but that because the TO td got screwed up or we were in it to win it! There were legit reasons they struggled against the Smalls. Strahan was going up again our rookie RT for 1! Thats a tuff matchup and Dorsey did as well as any rookie could against an allpro like Strahan. We also have alot of rookies starting and playing well. They are going to make mistakes but they are making more plays than mistakes! 5-2 is good the be injured at alot of key positions! I miss Kleinsasser prob the most but our other TE's have stepped up and thats what will keep us going is our depth. So why fire Tice? I think he has help bring in alot of good players or we would really be hurting because we have depth!! All coaches make mistakes and make bad decisions even Lombardi! Good coaches overcome and so will Tice! As far as Daunte being benched that just makes me laugh. Bench a pro bowl QB who is in the top 3 of every stat but the int stat? I wont coment on it because those who wish this must have low IQ and wouldnt understand anyway. To end i'll comment on who i think is our best RB ( and BTW big # 20 Moe Williams was 2nd in the NFL last year on 3rd down conversions only behind #40 Kleinsasser who was #1 in the league!) Onterio Smith is our best RB in my eyes! The games he started last year and this year he scaored TD's! Thats the bottem line he scores! Yea M&M is awesome for a rookie and he has a place with us for sure but not 1 TD yet! Bennet is fast as any RB in the league but he is fragile admit it! Onterio had what 3 td's ?? and 150 yards rushing against KC last year! The other game he started he scored 2 tds and 140 yards rushing! Plus all the good things he did at the begining of this year plus he scored!! Again, dont frwak out after 1 bad game geez!!
Purple Pride!

I totally agree lets just relax..... There going to lose some games ....Thats football chillout.

cajunvike
11-03-2004, 10:19 PM
"UTVikfan" wrote:

Hello, Vikes. Glad to see you onboard, and posting. IMO, you shoulda been on at the first of the season, before we became 5-2, to rip on Tice. I am glad to see your first post full of content, care, and concern. I have a feeling you'll be more than welcome here. Tell me, if you hire Parcels for the Vikes job, paint him purple, and stick him on the sidelines with the same loosing streak he has now, in Dallas, wouldn't he look like Grimace wanting a Big Mac? Looks? The coach "LOOKS" lost? Looks like he wants a big mac? HUH? Last week, err, well, 8 weeks ago, Parcells was a great coach. Now off with his head TOO! Right? He can't coach, its obvious. Oh yeah, Parcells has what 3 rings? But he can't coach now. Give it some time. Tice is IMO doing great things but we will see. I sure as heck hope we don't see from the suckers that hire him away to have a 3 year plan like we had. Some bumps in the road? Yeah. ABANDON SHIP!!! CHEER FOR DETROIT THIS YEAR??? Um no. Its not like he is in Wanstedt's shoes.

Grimace wanting a Big Mac....ROTFLMMFAO!!! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Vikes
11-03-2004, 10:54 PM
Calmwind:
Hi happy to see another newbie! Great point and again I'm not panicing. I just think we are beating teams we should be beating. The teams that are contenders we have lost to. Would you agree that all of the wins we have are hard earned but expected?

My point is Tice is not getting us over the big game humps. These are the games that will put us in the ELITE section of the NFL. This is not a situation were I feel our team is overrated but it's actually underachieving.

Think of it this way. How many owners in the NFL would allow there coach to remain after last season. We had numerous chances to win our division last year. We were not in the Packers situaton hoping the team at the top loses out right at the end and hand over the division. It's last season plus the consistent losses to the broderline elite teams that has me saying TICE good bye!!!!

HEY BROWSERS, QUIT READING AND START WRITING!!! FAILURE TO SHARE YOUR OPINIONS CAN BE HAZARDOUS TO YOUR HEALTH!!!

cajunvike
11-03-2004, 11:09 PM
Welcome, calmwind...to the greatest sports fan message board in the land...just remember, have good takes and don't suck...and you will do fine here! GO VIKES!!!

VikingsTw
11-03-2004, 11:44 PM
Gotta realize we are still a very young team they are bound to make mistakes, Tice may look like a genuis in 3 to 4 years. Wait till our last three years of Draft pics get older, and become veterans. If he keeps goin the way he's goin in the Draft i hope he is our coach for the next 10 years.

IowaVike
11-04-2004, 12:45 PM
I like Tice as a coach. I like his attitude.

Vikes
11-04-2004, 03:21 PM
Well the people have spoken and I would say most are in favor of keeping Tice.

Out of respect for my fellow Viking brothers I will save further criticisms until later. Hopefully I'm wrong and Mike Tice does not have that OHHH MY GOD what do I do now look on his face.

I will only restate that this Monday night game against the faltering Colts, is a huge test for me in regards to Mike Tice, and his coaching ability. It's not the we are 5-2 it's the we don't beat contender teams thats has me saying Tice is not the guy!

HEY BROWSERS, QUIT READING AND START WRITING!!! FAILURE TO SHARE YOUR OPINIONS CAN BE HAZARDOUS TO YOUR HEALTH!!!

TheAnimal93
11-05-2004, 05:28 AM
with the team in the state of affairs that it was when he took over and considering that we are all human what is the problem with tice. it is easy to sit back and say that is the wrong call or whatever, and our decisions are made minutes sometimes hours after the fact, how can you judge? mike tice has forgotten more about football than most of us on here will ever know(hmm, that could be a problem), and didnt tice play for a hundred years or something, and was pretty good from what i remember, some of that would have to sink in. he has taken a defense and helped it along quite nicely from what it was. AND WHO WOULD YOU REPLACE HIM WITH? SPURRIER? lol Gibbs? Dave Wannedstat? cmon, careful what u wish for!!!!
ps, and isnt the O line one of the best things that he has done since he has been here?

TheAnimal93
11-05-2004, 05:34 AM
wanna fire someone? fire linehan!!!!!
owners own, coaches coach, and players play!

purplehorn
11-05-2004, 08:40 AM
"vikes can do" wrote:

. he has taken a defense and helped it along quite nicely from what it was. AND WHO WOULD YOU REPLACE HIM WITH? SPURRIER? lol Gibbs? Dave Wannedstat? cmon, careful what u wish for!!!!
ps, and isnt the O line one of the best things that he has done since he has been here?

I can't agree more Mike and Tony have alot better records than
the majority of "experinced" coaches if we finish the second half of
the season as we did in the first = playoff lock

GO VIKES :thumbright:

cajunvike
11-05-2004, 09:09 AM
"vikes can do" wrote:

with the team in the state of affairs that it was when he took over and considering that we are all human what is the problem with tice. it is easy to sit back and say that is the wrong call or whatever, and our decisions are made minutes sometimes hours after the fact, how can you judge? mike tice has forgotten more about football than most of us on here will ever know(hmm, that could be a problem), and didnt tice play for a hundred years or something, and was pretty good from what i remember, some of that would have to sink in. he has taken a defense and helped it along quite nicely from what it was. AND WHO WOULD YOU REPLACE HIM WITH? SPURRIER? lol Gibbs? Dave Wannedstat? cmon, careful what u wish for!!!!

True that!!!

Vikes
11-06-2004, 02:24 AM
"cajunvike" wrote:

"vikes can do" wrote:

True that!!!Acutally don't laugh we should have grabbed Mariucci. The coachs mentioned in the above statement except for Gibbs are not SB quality. But like I said this is not all Tice's fault. A lot has to do with Red being cheap. Tice is the lowest or second to lowest paid coach. You know the old saying "You get what you pay for"

Packerguy
11-07-2004, 09:05 AM
The vikings are 5-2. I guess I dont see how tice is all that bad. There is no team in the nfl that is going to role every fricken week so I think u need to get a clue "vikes".

I also do not see how u think the vikings have the most talent in the nfl. U could make that argument offensively but the vikings havent proven they are even in the top half of the better defenses in the league yet.

U guys have a very nice record and havent even played half your games yet and people are calling for tices head. With parody the way it is in the nfl these days, this idea of "tice must go", at this point seems somewhat simplistic to me.

Just my packer opinion.......lol

ADubya26
11-07-2004, 10:35 AM
Yeah I agree that if we need to fire anyone it would be linehan...this week he could prove me wrong and call some good plays to compensate for the loss of Randy. This week is a big test for the players and the coaches and it can go a long way! GO VIKES!

NeoVikesTX
11-07-2004, 10:36 AM
So what exactly has Tice done to deserve this thread? Last time I checked the Vikes were 5-2 and sitting atop the NFC North division.

Before we run and call the for our coaches head, maybe we need to finish the season and see where we are at then.

We have already lost 2 games, and we will probably lose a couple more before the season is over. We just need to play through these tough games and not jump ship!

Have faith in our Vikings and know that in the NFL anything is possible.

snowinapril
11-07-2004, 12:03 PM
"NeoVikesTX" wrote:

So what exactly has Tice done to deserve this thread? Last time I checked the Vikes were 5-2 and sitting atop the NFC North division.

Before we run and call the for our coaches head, maybe we need to finish the season and see where we are at then.

We have already lost 2 games, and we will probably lose a couple more before the season is over. We just need to play through these tough games and not jump ship!

Have faith in our Vikings and know that in the NFL anything is possible.

I don't know if you read the whole thing. I think it was an intelligent conversation overall. There weren't a lot of dead set axes swinging. I think it actually helps to discuss it because it brings out some positives that the nay-sayers may not have thought about.

Grain of Salt

I prefer margaritas with my salt.

LosAngelis
11-07-2004, 12:57 PM
"NeoVikesTX" wrote:

Please feel free to be content where you are. It only bodes well for the Packers.

"We had a great opportunity to go 7-1," Tice said. "But now we're 6-2. . . . I don't think a lot of people thought we'd be 6-2 at the halfway mark, but we still have to get better."

"We'll make the playoffs," Tice said later in the day, reaffirming his guarantee.

That may not seem like a bold statement to some people, considering the Vikings are 6-3 and leading their division.

"I feel abandoned by that. We are 6-1," one veteran player said. "I looked around, and guys couldn't believe what he had just said."

"We're 6-3," Tice said. "We should make the playoffs. If we don't, that means we really screwed up."

Tice became so emotional trying to energize his players during the team meeting, he kicked a chair and damaged a wall, according to those in attendance.

In the midst of a Power Point presentation, Tice threw a chair at a wall, slammed a device used for the presentation and raised his voice a few decibels.

"It wasn't planned," he said. "I wanted to give positive affirmation."

He also wanted to talk about creative visualization, something he is a big believer in. Instead, he gave his players something they desperately need_a rather loud wake-up call.

He let them know he wasn't pleased with their work habits. An example he used was this: Players took home a lot more game tapes when they were constructing a 6-0 record than they have while losing five of the past six games.

"This is their livelihood," Tice said. "It is their j-o-b."

He spelled it out, one letter at a time for emphasis. J ... O ... B.

"They have to do their j-o-b full time and spend every moment thinking about being great," Tice said.

He laid it out for them while he laid into them.

It was a departure for Tice. Throughout their horrific skid, he has shielded his players from blame. He has taken the rap or found an excuse for their losses. When they lost to the New York Giants, it was because they didn't match up well. When they lost to the San Diego Chargers, it was because they faced a hot-as-heck Doug Flutie. Tice has spent most of the past six weeks enabling his players when he should have been kicking their keisters.

VikingsTw
11-07-2004, 01:38 PM
You must spend quite of time on viking sites, it must have took awhile to dig that stuff up. I dont even want to think about last year.

LosAngelis
11-07-2004, 02:16 PM
LOL

Nah, just this one.

My major cirticism of Tice last year was, as the team started to unravel, was how every week he'd say "Well, we're 6-1. A lot of teams wish we were 6-1." Then, "We'll make the playoffs, we're 6-3".

Then, when the season was in jeopardy, he threw a chair to show he was mad.

I simply believe Tice is a neanderthal. He doesn't know how to manage a team, especially during a crisis.

NeoVikesTX
11-07-2004, 06:58 PM
"LosAngelis" wrote:

"NeoVikesTX" wrote:

Please feel free to be content where you are. It only bodes well for the Packers.

I never claimed anything beyond what the standings were now. In your post, you are insinuating that the Vikings will choke down the stretch and the Packers will flourish and win the division again.

Well, I will take that as blind confidence and that will catch up to you real quick. The Vikings know that every game, every play is important. The Packers seem to believe that they can play like crap most of the time, yet somehow either Favre of God will come through for them. Well, last season it worked. This season is different.

Last season the Panthers made it to the Superbowl. This season they are 1-7. Just goes to show you how much things can change in such a short time.

And talking about Tice, would Tice have gone for it on 4th and less than a yard in the playoffs? Mike Sherman didn't, and it cost his team the game and ended their season.

Vikes
11-07-2004, 09:30 PM
"Packerguy" wrote:

The vikings are 5-2. I guess I dont see how tice is all that bad. There is no team in the nfl that is going to role every fricken week so I think u need to get a clue "vikes".

I also do not see how u think the vikings have the most talent in the nfl. U could make that argument offensively but the vikings havent proven they are even in the top half of the better defenses in the league yet.

U guys have a very nice record and havent even played half your games yet and people are calling for tices head. With parody the way it is in the nfl these days, this idea of "tice must go", at this point seems somewhat simplistic to me.

Just my packer opinion.......lol

PackerGuy:
It has nothing to do with being 5-2 this season. Minnesota has beat all the teams they should have beat. Exception is the OVERRATED Eagles. The Giants game has nothing to do with me calling for Tice's head. The way last year ended is what has me wanting Tice to go. Don't give me that it can happen to anyone [parody]. The Vikings became the first team since the 1978 Washington Redskins to start the season 6-0 and not make the postseason. It does not happen to just anyone it had not happen since 1978.

Horrific collapse, in which a 6-0 start turned into a 9-7 record without a playoff appearance at season's end. The Vikings managed to lose to some of the NFL's worst teams during the slide, including the Giants, Raiders, Chargers, and Cardinals, all of which finished 4-12.

Look who we lost to last year. You have a season like that and tell me you want your head coach back. I'm not as kind or patient as my fellow Viking brothers when it comes to Tice. I think he gets out coached all the time.

So now let's look at your team and how they handle coaches that don't make the post-season.

The Green Bay Packers' first-year coach Ray Rhodes, was fired along with his entire coaching staff after the team failed to make the NFL playoffs for the first time in seven years, announced team Executive Vice President/General Manager Ron Wolf.

Now did you come out and defend Ray? It's the guys first season and you show him the door. Not a 6-0 start lose to a bunch of 4-12 teams! So don't give me that get a clue!!! blah blah. You need to be worrying about week 10 when we come knocking on you door!

WE STAY THE COURSE MEN!

LosAngelis
11-07-2004, 10:26 PM
"NeoVikesTX" wrote:

"LosAngelis" wrote:

"NeoVikesTX" wrote:

I never claimed anything beyond what the standings were now. In your post, you are insinuating that the Vikings will choke down the stretch and the Packers will flourish and win the division again.

Well, I will take that as blind confidence and that will catch up to you real quick. The Vikings know that every game, every play is important. The Packers seem to believe that they can play like crap most of the time, yet somehow either Favre of God will come through for them. Well, last season it worked. This season is different.

Last season the Panthers made it to the Superbowl. This season they are 1-7. Just goes to show you how much things can change in such a short time.

And talking about Tice, would Tice have gone for it on 4th and less than a yard in the playoffs? Mike Sherman didn't, and it cost his team the game and ended their season.

Yo, dude...I've learned this year not to try and predict anything. I'm not saying you guys are going to tank. Yet.

I'm just noting that when things do start to unravel, a leader is able to bring a team back to the drawing board, and get back to basics to stem the tide.

Sherman has had to do that this year. The jury is still out on if he is successful, and to be honest, if he'll keep his job (s).

Tice gets by on bluster and I just haven't seen him able to adjust when the going gets tough.

The one thing I've learned in the past several seasons is that successful teams kick it up a notch in the second half of hte season, and yet another in the playoffs. The Pack has the first one down, and has gotten done in by the second part.

I'm not trying to cut on anyone, except Tice, in that no one should rest on their laurels and try and make lemonade out of having a decent record when you're on a two game losing streak. That IS what happened last year. Now, we'll see if Tice has learned from it.

NeoVikesTX
11-07-2004, 11:32 PM
I still believe it's not Tice's fault. No matter what he says to the troops before or during a game, the players are still the one who have to go out there and get the job done.

Now I will be the first to admit that Tice has made mistakes, but what coach hasn't? Some people are quick to point a finger at a scapegoat, who is usually the coach or the quarterback.

Monday night will tell a lot about out team. If we get blown out again, then next week against Green Bay becomes even more critical. But remember, Green Bay has to keep winning too. Sometimes I get the feeling that Pack fans think this is a given since they are on a roll as of late.

As of being a leader, I think Daunte needs to take this role on the field. I think players have more influence on each other than a coach can. A coaches job is to prepare them effectively for each game.

All in all, however, I think both the Vikes and the Pack will be fighting to win the division this season, again. But, for now, the Vikings are in the drivers seat.

purplehorn
11-08-2004, 08:50 AM
"Vikes" wrote:

"cajunvike" wrote:

"vikes can do" wrote:

Acutally don't laugh we should have grabbed Mariucci. "

I didn't realize he had a better record than Tice at present :scratch:
Oh thats right he doesn't.

Vikes
11-08-2004, 10:55 AM
"purplehorn" wrote:

"Vikes" wrote:

"cajunvike" wrote:

"vikes can do" wrote:

Acutally don't laugh we should have grabbed Mariucci. "

I didn't realize he had a better record than Tice at present :scratch:
Oh thats right he doesn't.

Once AGAIN!!

It has nothing to do with being 5-2 this season. Minnesota has beat all the teams they should have beat. Exception is the OVERRATED Eagles. The Giants game has nothing to do with me calling for Tice's head. The way last year ended is what has me wanting Tice to go. Don't give me that it can happen to anyone [parody]. The Vikings became the first team since the 1978 Washington Redskins to start the season 6-0 and not make the postseason. It does not happen to just anyone it had not happened since 1978.

Horrific collapse, in which a 6-0 start turned into a 9-7 record without a playoff appearance at season's end. The Vikings managed to lose to some of the NFL's worst teams during the slide, including the Giants, Raiders, Chargers, and Cardinals, all of which finished 4-12.

Look who we lost to last year. You have a season like that and tell me you want your head coach back. I'm not as kind or patient as my fellow Viking brothers when it comes to Tice. I think he gets out coached all the time.

snowinapril
11-08-2004, 11:30 AM
I think that the one thing that changed from last year in Tice is he doesn't find ways out for his players.

Last year, he babied them and tried to protect them from the media, like LOS clipping stated.

"It was a departure for Tice. Throughout their horrific skid, he has shielded his players from blame. He has taken the rap or found an excuse for their losses. When they lost to the New York Giants, it was because they didn't match up well. When they lost to the San Diego Chargers, it was because they faced a hot-as-heck Doug Flutie. Tice has spent most of the past six weeks enabling his players when he should have been kicking their keisters."

He has been doing a lot less of that this year but then again we are not in the same situation.

The one coach that I would like to bring up is Cower with the Steelers. I would have fired his ass a long time ago for trying to stick with the Slash-QB. Any idiot could see that Stewart was not a NFL QB. He couldn't make reads. I would have yanked his ass. Anyway, Cower is the longest tenured coach in the league, 13 yrs I think. Cower has had many 10 win seasons and few disappointing years. He has a winning record. He is a decent coach, a players coach. He is consistant. Can you actually demand superbowls every year from him. He has taken them to the SB once.

I persoally think that Green got the shaft when he was fired after one bad season. I think Tice is slightly less of a coach than Cower. Tice needs to get a 10 win season under his belt real soon. He might get one more season from Red but after next year he is gone without a 10 win season and a run deep into thte playoffs. He was handed a Porsche and now that Porsche looks more like a Mitsubishi. Last year that Porsche look like a Rusty Yugo by the end of the season.

I bet if you put Jeff Gordan in that Mitsubishi and me in the Porsche, I bet he kicks my ass on the track. The person driving the car makes a huge difference, experience!!

Denny is driving a Mitsubishi in AZ. It makes for some close finishes but his experience counts.

I am not living in the past. Just using Denny as an example. He is easy to relate to because we know his track record.

Freya
11-08-2004, 01:18 PM
The records for some considerably significant coaches past and current in the NFL (first 3 years only).
QUESTION: How many SB rings would some of these coaches NOT be wearing if they had been sh1t canned in their first 3 seasons based on their game records alone?

HANK STRAM:
8/6---6/8---11/3

BUD GRANT:
3/8/3---8/6---12/2

TOM LANDRY:
0/11/1---4/9/1---5/8/1

MARVIN LEVY:
4/12---7/9---8/8

DICK VERMEIL:
4/10---5/9---9/7

CHUCK NOLL:
1/13---5/9---6/8