PDA

View Full Version : Importance of the Colts games

CrazyAtMSU
11-02-2004, 03:25 PM
If the vikings lose this game, how much wind is taken out of their sails? If they get killed again i think you will definately see people saying "here we go again" but if the offense plays well enough to stay with them, even if we do lose the game, I think you gotta come out of the game feeling okay. Obviously the objective is to win but i'm just curious how the vikes will rebound after getting crushed at home. Beyond that though we definately need to beat the pack... no doubt there.. we CAN'T lose to the pack..

josdin00
11-03-2004, 04:44 PM
I see where you're coming from on this question, and I'd like to be able to say that yeah, it's okay if we lose a close game to Indy, because it's a road game against a tough team. However, all our remaining games look to be against tough teams. We do have one game left against the Bears, but that's in Chicago where we always seem to have problems. Other than that it's two against Green Bay, two against Detroit, Jacksonville, Seattle, and Washington. All of those teams have played really well at some point this season. (Well, maybe not Washington, but they've been close.)

I guess my point is that the Vikings have a tough upcoming schedule, and with Detroit playing well, and the Pack starting to look more like what we expected, you'd like to see them bounce back right away. It's not a must-win this week in Indy, but it is an it-sure-would-make-our-lives-a-hell-of-a-lot-easier win.

bleedpurple
11-03-2004, 05:14 PM
NOt to mention a statement game that we can bounce back and beat an elite team! But I'm not counting on it! As much as I'd like to see it. I don't think we can beat Indy! NOt without Moss and the D playing against the best offense in the league outside of Minnesota!

VKG4LFE
11-03-2004, 05:38 PM
Personally, I would rather beat the pack than Indy, not just because I hate the pack (that is a huge reason, but not all of it), but because it is a division game and we would have a 2 game lead then (on the pack). If we beat Indy and lose to the pack we will only have a 1 game lead. BUT, if we win both we will have a 3 game lead! Conclusion: let's win BOTH!

PAvikesfan
11-03-2004, 06:46 PM
rough road ahead... lots of harsh games to play... Vikes beat Indy and all of Vikings fans and the Viking team will be able to carry that feeling through victories against GB, DET at home, and possibly even Jacksonville.. One victory against a tough team will help the sometimes fragile Vikes team win the next game... i want this win but if i can't have it, at least let the the Eagles lose. Tice's job this week is figure out how we are going to stay close enough to Indy's O production to make it happen. I don't want to point it out, but when was the last monday night game the Vikes won?

I honestly can't remember, so someone tell me.

later.

LosAngelis
11-03-2004, 07:50 PM
My take:

The Indy game is critical for you guys. You will be "up" for the Pack. You can throw out the records when we meet.

However, you got whipped by an adversary that has your number, and there was an emotional letdown. This is where Tice is going to earn his "extension".

It was after six games last year that you lost focus. I think this is your crossroads, and you need to establish yourself as an NFC power again, before the players stop believing.

Not predicting a collapse, but I dont' have a lot of faith in Caveman Tice. Maybe he can prove me wrong. I think your season is going to depend on it.

hawaiianvike21
11-04-2004, 03:29 AM
Hate to say this but a must win game for a team that is 5-2. I sure hope the teams pysche isint as weak as it was last year with the midseason slide possibly underway. :cry:

dred
11-04-2004, 08:08 AM
This is going to be a crucial game for both teams.

Shootout between two of the leagues MVP's on top of it all.

Colts need this game in a bad way since they have the Jags and now Houston breathing down their necks.

VKG4LFE
11-04-2004, 12:52 PM
The last time the vikes won on Monday night on the road was against the packers in 1998. That cold rainy night! aka Moss' coming out party! For whoever asked that question.

Calmwind
11-04-2004, 01:08 PM
I think this would be a very good win for us. If our D steps up and helps us to win, it could give the whole team confidence that would carry over thru the Packers game and beyond. Indy does have high power on the O side but i think our D and O are better in comparison. We need to run Onterio all over them to lead in time of possesion and keep their O off the field. We should be able to pass all over them, they are last in the league at defending the pass. I think Scott Linehan will have a good selection of plays going this week and we will come out with the Win, which i think we need.

cajunvike
11-04-2004, 01:27 PM
"CrazyAtMSU" wrote:

If the vikings lose this game, how much wind is taken out of their sails? If they get killed again i think you will definately see people saying "here we go again" but if the offense plays well enough to stay with them, even if we do lose the game, I think you gotta come out of the game feeling okay. Obviously the objective is to win but i'm just curious how the vikes will rebound after getting crushed at home. Beyond that though we definately need to beat the pack... no doubt there.. we CAN'T lose to the pack..

I would agree, except last year we ended the year losing to teams that we should have beaten...so even if we lose to the Colts, we still can get to the playoffs by simply beating the teams that we should beat...that being said, I think that to get deep into the playoffs and to contend for the championship, we also need to beat the good teams. However, if we are not at full strength during the season and happen to lose to some of the more elite teams on our schedule (but still beat the teams we should beat), once we get to the playoffs at relatively full strength (minus those on IR, of course) we should be able to compete for the title. Remember, once you get to the playoffs, the regular season games do not matter (except having beat the Pack, so that we can gloat for the rest of the year). The playoffs become a new season, and if we have all of our weapons that we didn't have during the regular season, we will be a much better team. Couple that with a late season charge, and we could conceivably run the table and win the Super Bowl. :D Timing is everything.

Foreman44
11-04-2004, 03:35 PM
The only way anyone can start talking about Super Bowl is if the Vikings were to win a TOUGH game on the road against a very good team. Had the chance at Philly earlier this year and COULD have won that game were it not for some mistakes and a few bad calls. The Colts is a BIG GAME, no doubt about it. They'll need to take this game if they have any sights on going "deep into the playoffs". If not, they go 5-3 and even though they may be able to somehow get into the playoffs, without wins like these, I do not expect them to last long.
We'll see. I sure hope Moss's leg is feeling better and the D has a big game.

Sprewell27
11-05-2004, 07:36 PM
This game reminds me a bit last year against the Chiefs. The Chiefs has the most feared(argueably) offense in the league and had an amazing record, but we played up to the opponent and kicked their ass all over the field. The same thing could possible happen this year, only the Colts strength is their pass game rather than the run game KC has as its strength.

Basically though, it'll come down to who scores the first touchdown to determine how the rest of the game goes. If we score the first TD I expect a win or a close loss. If the Colts score first I think we're in trouble.

rjkvikings
11-05-2004, 07:39 PM
"Sprewell27" wrote:

This game reminds me a bit last year against the Chiefs. The Chiefs has the most feared(argueably) offense in the league and had an amazing record, but we played up to the opponent and kicked their ass all over the field. The same thing could possible happen this year, only the Colts strength is their pass game rather than the run game KC has as its strength.

Basically though, it'll come down to who scores the first touchdown to determine how the rest of the game goes. If we score the first TD I expect a win or a close loss. If the Colts score first I think we're in trouble.Well then we're in trouble because we've only scored 13 points in the 1st quarter all season!

Deleted_User_2360
11-05-2004, 08:57 PM
"rjkvikings" wrote:

"Sprewell27" wrote:

Basically though, it'll come down to who scores the first touchdown to determine how the rest of the game goes. If we score the first TD I expect a win or a close loss. If the Colts score first I think we're in trouble.Well then we're in trouble because we've only scored 13 points in the 1st quarter all season!

Here's the deal..... This is the most important game of the season.
Moss probably won't play. We're in Indy's house. They've lost two
straight and it's monday night. Daunte's play is fragile. Two straight
lackluster performances by Daunte. Let's face it.... This game is ripe
for us to get blown out. I'd hate to see it, but this game has blowout
written all over it. If we get ou asses kicked, you will see a repeat
of the second half of the 2003 season. This team needs confidence
and a win on the road after getting it ass kicked at home, may just
save this season. I realy mean it... I believe this game could shape
the rest of the season.

LosAngelis
11-05-2004, 09:57 PM
I think the one thing that is going to be what you have to watch out for is the excuse factor.

If Moss is out, and Robinson is out, a loss to the Colts will be "excused" with the "we weren't at full strength".

You know as well as I do, that once you start making excuses, they won't stop.

Schulzy
11-06-2004, 02:45 AM
some old drunk told me tonight that the team winning the monday night game loses the next game 85% of the time I would not have lisened to him, but he is wining our football pool and has won 3 weeks this year. of coarse I would like us to be the 15% that wins this week and next. But would much rather beat the fudge pack. The Pack game means alot to me because my wife and my best friend are both packer fans. By the way both my kids think the viks RULE. Does any one have the true stat on game after mn

hawaiianvike21
11-06-2004, 03:40 AM
"LosAngelis" wrote:

I think the one thing that is going to be what you have to watch out for is the excuse factor.

If Moss is out, and Robinson is out, a loss to the Colts will be "excused" with the "we weren't at full strength".

You know as well as I do, that once you start making excuses, they won't stop.

DOesnt matter a loss is a loss and its a step back from achieving our main goal in winning the division and getting to the freaking playoffs.

By the way robinson is playing, just moss is not.

I dont think we need these excuses even though they could or are the reason why we may have lost.

TheAnimal93
11-06-2004, 05:23 AM
which linehan and pep is going to show up is the major question. will linehan be able to put duante in a place where he feels comfy and pick apart the colts d, a defense that looks vaguely familiar. and can we build a lead and keep it. i think the vikes D is much better than in the past but the fact remains that they need stay OFF the field. RUN THE FOOTBALL enough to keep the clock ticking.

ADubya26
11-06-2004, 10:19 AM
This is the biggest game of our season. We dont have Moss, we dont have some other key players as well, but this is a game for our defense to come out and prove something. It will also show how poised our team is, especially in Culpepper. They are going to come out and want a win badly after 2 straight wins, and we can't just lay down and let them have it. We have to play like this is do or die in my opinion. This game is BIG for both the players and the coaches and I agree with Los when he says our season depends on it. Lets go get em!

LosAngelis
11-06-2004, 01:29 PM
If I were you, I wouldn't be too concerned about the Packers (and no, not because I'm trying to lull you to sleep).

You guys will be up for the Packers, no matter what. Win or lose, both teams will play as well as the can.

This is a national audience and a prime time opponant. I can't tell you how bad the Titan game killed us for confidence, especially when the pundits saw it. In some polls, we're still not much higher than 28th in the league.

THis is your game of the season.

purplehorn
11-06-2004, 01:56 PM
I don't believe Indys D can stop us. They will
score some points my prediction

Vikes 35
Colts 24

You heard it here first

rjkvikings
11-06-2004, 02:04 PM
"LosAngelis" wrote:

It's been said before, and I'll say it again. Every weeks game is the game of the season! Any win counts as a win and any loss counts as a loss. It doesn't matter who you play so every game is just as important as every other game. (well, I guess division games may be a little more important cause it also counts as a loss for a team in your division, but you still need to want to win every week.)

Deleted_User_2360
11-06-2004, 05:14 PM
"purplehorn" wrote:

Vikes 35
Colts 24

You heard it here first

Purplehorn,

I'm not saying this just to disagree with you, but there ain't
no way in hell we're gonna put the ball in the end zone 5 times. We
did it twice this year. Both when Moss was healthy and against sh*t
teams. I'm prayin just to come out with a "W" on monday night.
No matter how we do it.

rjkvikings
11-06-2004, 05:26 PM
Actually, I believe we did it 3 times, and you can say they were bad teams, but there is no way you can say they were worse defenses. Think about it, the Colts have the last ranked D, so we could possibly do it without Moss if the other guys step up.

cajunvike
11-06-2004, 08:30 PM
"rjkvikings" wrote:

"LosAngelis" wrote:

It's been said before, and I'll say it again. Every weeks game is the game of the season! Any win counts as a win and any loss counts as a loss. It doesn't matter who you play so every game is just as important as every other game. (well, I guess division games may be a little more important cause it also counts as a loss for a team in your division, but you still need to want to win every week.)

I am in total agreement with you, rjk...the bad thing is that many times the team forgets that very important fact and they take a week off or they let other things take their minds off the job that they have to do week to week. The important thing is that the Vikings need to refocus and do what they do best...don't get too fancy and just run the ball down teams throats (O-linemen love to do that more than anything and we have the massive line to do it) and pass just enough to move the ball efficiently downfield. I do think that the game will be pretty high-scoring, but if our D can step up, we can win this game and be rolling just in time for next week's game against the Pack.

VikingsTw
11-06-2004, 08:58 PM
Yup, its all up to both lines on both sides of the ball to win this game, the Oline needs to be a beast in the run game this week and we need to get pressure with our front four againts manning. Those two things (in my mind) will determine weather we win or loose.

FILOgirl
11-07-2004, 09:42 PM
We Texans fans are behind you 100%! Even without Moss you can do it. Please make Manning cry once for me! :lol:

purplehorn
11-08-2004, 08:42 AM
"buck" wrote:

"purplehorn" wrote:

Vikes 35
Colts 24

You heard it here first

Purplehorn,

I'm not saying this just to disagree with you, but there ain't
no way in hell we're gonna put the ball in the end zone 5 times. We
did it twice this year. Both when Moss was healthy and against sh*t
teams. I'm prayin just to come out with a "W" on monday night.
No matter how we do it.

Hey a fellow can dream can't he? I too hope we can find a way
for the W every one needs to step up and make it happen.