PDA

View Full Version : Birk getting bigger!

whackthepack
05-23-2007, 10:18 AM
For those who don't get KFAN sports radio or weren't listening this morning Mark Rosen brought up the fact that Matt Birk is training with Mike Morris former long snapper and the "Superstar" on KFAN radio this off season.

Reportedly Birk was 308lbs when he started working with Morris and is now at 324lbs and in better physical condition and he reportedly benched pressed 350lbs 6 times.

Maybe this will help Birk get back to his 2004 form and become that dominating center we had, and need again.

Zeus
05-23-2007, 10:22 AM
"whackthepack" wrote:

For those who don't get KFAN sports radio or weren't listening this morning Mark Rosen brought up the fact that Matt Birk is training with Mike Morris former long snapper and the "Superstar" on KFAN radio this off season.

Reportedly Birk was 308lbs when he started working with Morris and is now at 324lbs and in better physical condition and he reportedly benched pressed 350lbs 6 times.

Maybe this will help Birk get back to his 2004 form and become that dominating center we had, and need again.

I heard that bit, too, on the way in this morning.
The piece that stuck out to me was when Morris talked about how Birk has increased his bench press by 75lbs. - as the normal routine of his lifting, not just as a one-time "How much can you lift?" exercise.

Whooooooooo!
Chester and AD each are gonna get 1200 yards!!

=Z=

Del Rio
05-23-2007, 10:24 AM
Birk was not that great last year but if anyone needs the work its the right side of the line. He should have dragged their ass with him.

Vikestand
05-23-2007, 10:25 AM
NOT DOUBTING HIS STRENGTH....BUT WHEN YOU WEIGH 324LBS, YOU WOULD THINK HE WOULD BE ABLE TO DO 350LBS FOR HIS 10 SET REPS....

Del Rio
05-23-2007, 10:28 AM
"Vikestand" wrote:

NOT DOUBTING HIS STRENGTH....BUT WHEN YOU WEIGH 324LBS, YOU WOULD THINK HE WOULD BE ABLE TO DO 350LBS FOR HIS 10 SET REPS....

I would love to find out how many normal people can press their entire body weight 10 times on here. I doubt there would be many.

marcosMN
05-23-2007, 10:37 AM
Ok, before I comment on Birk... A few things...

"Vikestand" wrote:

There is no need to shout. Turn off your caps lock.

Also, your Avatar is huge. How it is on there like that I have no idea.

Third, this article just told you how much Matt's improving. But for some reason you feel the need to, as annoyingly as possible, set expectations unreasonably high, and then expect us to agree or go along with it.

Are you looking to get ignored?

[hr]

Ok. I'm glad to see Birk taking charge this offseason. Its actually the first time he hasn't been rehabbing in a while. Now he can focus on building strength and speed. We all know he is by far smart enough to run the line. We just need to see the athleticism that made him the best pulling center in the game.

Then maybe that left side will come together like we all expected last season, and maybe the right side can feed off of that.

6-KINGS
05-23-2007, 10:44 AM
"Del" wrote:

"Vikestand" wrote:

I would love to find out how many normal people can press their entire body weight 10 times on here. I doubt there would be many.

Would ya belive half my body weight while underwater?

Del Rio
05-23-2007, 10:46 AM
"6-KINGS" wrote:

"Del" wrote:

"Vikestand" wrote:

Would ya belive half my body weight while underwater?

I believe you could do 2X your body weight on dry land, you have cannons.

Marrdro
05-23-2007, 10:49 AM

Remembering of course that we run the ZB scheme with our OL, I would rather have heard something along the lines of.......

....is now at 324lbs and has retained or improved his quickness.

Often times when players bulk up in weight they loose speed.
Probably not a good thing if that in fact has happended.
::)

6-KINGS
05-23-2007, 10:50 AM
Well thanks...........
But now that I am 44 my cannons are more like musskets.

LOL

Freya
05-23-2007, 10:50 AM
Just so long as he doesn't lose any quickness, I'm all for it. Buff it up, Birk!

Del Rio
05-23-2007, 10:52 AM
"Marrdro" wrote:

Remembering of course that we run the ZB scheme with our OL, I would rather have heard something along the lines of.......

Watching film of last year it is clear zone blocking is present but very much a minor part of our scheme. There was much more man up blocking done all season.

I said last year and I will say again every team zone blocks. Only a few teams hang their hat on it and we are not one of those teams.

Marrdro
05-23-2007, 10:56 AM
"Del" wrote:

"Marrdro" wrote:

Watching film of last year it is clear zone blocking is present but very much a minor part of our scheme. There was much more man up blocking done all season.

I said last year and I will say again every team zone blocks. Only a few teams hang their hat on it and we are not one of those teams.

Great point.
My comments are based on the assumption that as the team gets more adept at the ZB they will do it more.

With that said, I believe that it will be much more than a minor part this year.

Del Rio
05-23-2007, 10:57 AM
"Marrdro" wrote:

"Del" wrote:

"Marrdro" wrote:

Great point.
My comments are based on the assumption that as the team gets more adept at the ZB they will do it more.

With that said, I believe that it will be much more than a minor part this year.

Not if your center gains 20 pounds lmao.

We may need to draft a whole new line if he wants to go that route.

cc21
05-23-2007, 10:58 AM
"Del" wrote:

"Vikestand" wrote:

I'm about 205 pounds and I can bench 225 21 times but I workout 5 days a week. But for the average person who doesn't workout, they probably cannot do their weight 10 times like you said. You have to be pretty strong to do that.

I think that is great that Birk is getting bigger. As long as he doesn't lose qickness it will only benefit us.

Del Rio
05-23-2007, 11:01 AM
"cc21" wrote:

"Del" wrote:

"Vikestand" wrote:

I'm about 205 pounds and I can bench 225 21 times but I workout 5 days a week. But for the average person who doesn't workout, they probably cannot do their weight 10 times like you said. You have to be pretty strong to do that.

I think that is great that Birk is getting bigger. As long as he doesn't lose qickness it will only benefit us.

You also play football and as you stated work out daily. I can press my weight as well, but most normal people do not. It isn't a sign of health or anything you know what I mean? It isnt something you are born with that you should automatically be able to press your weight.

Especially on the line your legs are far more important then your arms and chest. If he can barely push his weight on the press that is of no concern especially when he is 300+ I bet he can Squat over 600. And that is where the meat and taters are for the line.

tb04512
05-23-2007, 11:02 AM
i think with the bohemoths we have on this line we would do more of the man blocking.. but whatever works best then it doesnt really matter.

Good to see Birk not having to worry about getting back on time, actually being able to focus on the more important things

6-KINGS
05-23-2007, 11:04 AM
[[/quote]

And that is where ......taters are (on) the line.
[/quote]

Good gravy we have taters on the line!!!

Del Rio
05-23-2007, 11:05 AM
"6-KINGS" wrote:

[

And that is where ......taters are (on) the line.
[/quote]

Good gravy we have taters on the line!!!
[/quote]

You know what I was going to type potatoes, then I thought I wonder if six will sniff out the tater reference.......you did.

Marrdro
05-23-2007, 11:09 AM
"tb04512" wrote:

i think with the bohemoths we have on this line we would do more of the man blocking.. but whatever works best then it doesnt really matter.

Good to see Birk not having to worry about getting back on time, actually being able to focus on the more important things

I thought I dispelled the talk about our bohemoths when I gave you data on how fast they were.

Remember, I used Bronco OL speeds as comparison or did you miss that thread.

whackthepack
05-23-2007, 11:11 AM
"Vikestand" wrote:

Along way to training camp maybe he will be doing it 25 times by the time training camp roles around.

jargomcfargo
05-23-2007, 11:13 AM
"Del" wrote:

"Marrdro" wrote:

It appeared to me, the right side of the line had a lot more trouble with their man up blocking than their zone blocking last year.
They seemed a little better when they were om the move.

Marrdro
05-23-2007, 11:18 AM
I was pretty proud of all this crap I put together
;D

Anyway, key is the speed my friends.
;D

http://www.purplepride.org/index.php?option=com_smf&Itemid=88888913&topic=32984.0

The zone blocking scheme requires a different type of lineman to execute this system. Size and strength are secondary, while athleticism and awareness are paramount. A zone blocking lineman must be able to move expeditiously to the next level and engage lineman, instead of being engaged. Football knowledge and awareness are important in order to know where to go, and who to engage.

Matt Birk, C, 6-4, 309 lbs,
4.18 short shuttle and 7.22 three-cone drill
Ryan Cook, C, 6-6, 328 lbs, 4.44 short shuttle and 7.26 three-cone drill
Cullen Loeffler, C, 6-5, 241 lbs, 4.66 short shuttle and a 7.77 three-cone drill
Marcus Johnson, OT, 6-6, 321 lbs, 4.22 short shuttle and a 6.93 three-cone drill
Bryant McKinnie, OT, 6-8, 335 lbs, 4.40 short shuttle and a 7.35 seconds three-cone drill
Anthony Herrera, OG, 6-2, 315 lbs, Because he had a bad ankle he didn’t run in the SS or 3 Cone. His his 40 times were 5.31 and 5.38 and 0-yard dash in 1.87.
Artis Hicks, OG, 6-4, 335
lbs, 4.31 short shuttle and 7.28 three-cone drill
Steve Hutchinson, OG, 6-5, 313 lbs.
Couldn’t find any times on him.

I looked but couldn’t find anything that said what defined a good short shuttle and three-cone drill time so I decided to take a look at the OL stats for the team that is so closely associated with the Zone-blocking scheme.

According to ESPN here is what the Bronco’s have. (Used same link)

Denver Broncos
Nalen, C, 6-3, a 4.22 short shuttle and a 6.93 three-cone drill.
Myers, C,
6-4, 300 lbs 4.38 in the short shuttle, a 7.38 in the cone drill
Meadows, OT, 6-5, 290 lbs, a 4.33 in the short shuttle and a 7.48 in the three-cone drill.
Pears, OT,
6-8, 305 lbs, 4.39 short shuttle and 7.61 three-cone drill
Foster, OT, 6-5, 338 lbs, a 4.53 short shuttle, 7.47 three-cone drill
Carlisle, OG, 6-5, 295 lbs, Couldn’t find a short shuttle time but he did the three-cone drill in 7.34 seconds
Hamilton, OG, 6-4, 283 lbs, Couldn’t find any times.
Kuper, OG, 6-4, 302 lbs, a 4.44 short shuttle and 7.26 three-cone drill

Probably not an exact science but our guys in almost all cases are bigger (poundage) and faster in their times.
So technically our guys fit the mold, with the exception of weighing more than "Normal", to run the zone blocking scheme even though they are a bit heavier because of their speed/athleticism.

SKOL
05-23-2007, 11:50 AM
"Marrdro" wrote:

;D

;D

http://www.purplepride.org/index.php?option=com_smf&Itemid=88888913&topic=32984.0

Cullen Loeffler, C, 6-5, 241 lbs,4.66 short shuttle and a 7.77 three-cone drill
Marcus Johnson, OT, 6-6, 321 lbs, 4.22 short shuttle and a 6.93 three-cone drill
Bryant McKinnie, OT, 6-8, 335 lbs, 4.40 short shuttle and a 7.35 seconds three-cone drill

Is that for real Marrdro?

jargomcfargo
05-23-2007, 11:55 AM
"Marrdro" wrote:

;D

;D

The zone blocking scheme requires a different type of lineman to execute this system. Size and strength are secondary, while athleticism and awareness are paramount. A zone blocking lineman must be able to move expeditiously to the next level and engage lineman, instead of being engaged. Football knowledge and awareness are important in order to know where to go, and who to engage.

Cullen Loeffler, C, 6-5, 241 lbs, 4.66 short shuttle and a 7.77 three-cone drill
Anthony Herrera, OG, 6-2, 315 lbs, Because he had a bad ankle he didn’t run in the SS or 3 Cone. His his 40 times were 5.31 and 5.38 and 0-yard dash in 1.87.
Artis Hicks, OG, 6-4, 335
lbs, 4.31 short shuttle and 7.28 three-cone drill
Steve Hutchinson, OG, 6-5, 313 lbs.
Couldn’t find any times on him.

I looked but couldn’t find anything that said what defined a good short shuttle and three-cone drill time so I decided to take a look at the OL stats for the team that is so closely associated with the Zone-blocking scheme.

According to ESPN here is what the Bronco’s have. (Used same link)

Denver Broncos
Nalen, C, 6-3, a 4.22 short shuttle and a 6.93 three-cone drill.
Myers, C,
6-4, 300 lbs 4.38 in the short shuttle, a 7.38 in the cone drill
Meadows, OT, 6-5, 290 lbs, a 4.33 in the short shuttle and a 7.48 in the three-cone drill.
Pears, OT,
6-8, 305 lbs, 4.39 short shuttle and 7.61 three-cone drill
Foster, OT, 6-5, 338 lbs, a 4.53 short shuttle, 7.47 three-cone drill
Carlisle, OG, 6-5, 295 lbs, Couldn’t find a short shuttle time but he did the three-cone drill in 7.34 seconds
Hamilton, OG, 6-4, 283 lbs, Couldn’t find any times.
Kuper, OG, 6-4, 302 lbs, a 4.44 short shuttle and 7.26 three-cone drill

Probably not an exact science but our guys in almost all cases are bigger (poundage) and faster in their times.
So technically our guys fit the mold, with the exception of weighing more than "Normal", to run the zone blocking scheme even though they are a bit heavier because of their speed/athleticism.

I remember that post well. It was one the best ever. Made you a ppo star!
;D

Well,in my eyes anyway.

NodakPaul
05-23-2007, 11:58 AM
Cullen Loeffler is really 6-5, 241.
Check out his player page (http://www.nfl.com/players/playerpage/494522).

Marrdro
05-23-2007, 11:59 AM

Well,in my eyes anyway.

Thanks my purple friend.
Actually all I really did is cut and paste info I researched and applied it to our team.

The guys that wrote the stuff are the smart ones.

jargomcfargo
05-23-2007, 12:20 PM
"Marrdro" wrote:

Well,in my eyes anyway.

Thanks my purple friend.
Actually all I really did is cut and paste info I researched and applied it to our team.

The guys that wrote the stuff are the smart ones.

I was impressed with the way you used the info. to show our big guys had the speed to be successful in the zone blocking scheme.

I saw Birk get pushed around a little last year. I think the bulk and strength will make him better against the interior defensive linemen.
Even if he is a little slower, I think the trade off will be positive.

Vikestand
05-23-2007, 12:34 PM
Settle down folks I had my caps on for drafting reasons....I was just stating a innocent question...I mean I can bench 225 ten times and I weigh 200(3 sets)...I figured that weighing that much and only being able to bench 25+ his weight 6 times..errr nevermind....

Del Rio
05-23-2007, 12:40 PM
"Vikestand" wrote:

Settle down folks I had my caps on for drafting reasons....I was just stating a innocent question...I mean I can bench 225 ten times and I weigh 200(3 sets)...I figured that weighing that much and only being able to bench 25+ his weight 6 times..errr nevermind....

Well he is a center. They have a guys hand on their balls all day and like it so we cant be too surprised.......lol

Marrdro
05-23-2007, 12:41 PM
Ahh my friend, great point.

I saw Birk get pushed around a little last year. I think the bulk and strength will make him better against the interior defensive linemen.
Even if he is a little slower, I think the trade off will be positive.

I am sure that is why he beefed up a bit. (whole lot really).
Again, hope it isn't at the expense of speed.
;D

He is smart.
I am sure he knew what he was doing.