PDA

View Full Version : Is there room for two? Vikings' key: Finding roles for both RBs

cogitans
05-22-2007, 01:26 AM
Is there room for two? Vikings' key: Finding roles for both RBs (http://www.twincities.com/vikings/ci_5952453)

BY DON SEEHOLZER
Pioneer Press

cogitans
05-22-2007, 01:27 AM
DYNAMIC DUOS (http://www.twincities.com/vikings/ci_5952456?nclick_check=1)

Pioneer Press

Billy Boy
05-22-2007, 01:55 AM
"cogitans" wrote:

Is there room for two? Vikings' key: Finding roles for both RBs (http://www.twincities.com/vikings/ci_5952453)

BY DON SEEHOLZER
Pioneer Press

But if the Vikings have two players who end up criticizing the setup instead of complementing each other, or who perform better carrying the load alone instead of as part of a tandem, the team might face questions about why it stockpiled one position when so many others seemed in need after coach Brad Childress' 6-10 debut in 2006.

"That's going to be the most difficult thing," said ESPN analyst and former NFL running back Merril Hoge, who was in a couple of short-lived rotation experiments with Pittsburgh and Chicago. "The coaches are going to have to develop a rhythm. They can't take that away. When a guy's on a roll and he's moving, you've got to let him go. They'll have to play that by the feel of the game."

This article, and this quote in particular, explains why st.cloud_83's idea is not insane............although his reasoning is.

Trade C. Taylor Thread. (http://www.purplepride.org/index.php?option=com_smf&Itemid=88888914&topic=33812.0)

Marrdro
05-22-2007, 08:11 AM
I think this staff are (although some on here don't agree with me) smart enough to figure out how to use them both in the KAO.

Start with CT and ease AD (Cashier) in slowly as the year progresses.

Biggest concern I have here is that CT hasn't been available for comment.
As I stated in another thread (Winfield).

Things are going just to smoothly here (Yup a bit of a negative feeling coming from me). I hope CT can deal with it like a pro and not get pissy.
;D

Del Rio
05-22-2007, 08:26 AM
I wouldnt be surprised if he AP only carries the ball 6-12 times a game. If that. I envision he will take on a MM role in the offense.

cogitans
05-22-2007, 08:27 AM
"Del" wrote:

I wouldnt be surprised if he AP only carries the ball 6-12 times a game. If that. I envision he will take on a MM role in the offense.

Could be. And I would have no problem with that. I just hope we get to see some examples of that 'taking it to the house' they keep talking about.

marcosMN
05-22-2007, 08:37 AM
"Marrdro" wrote:

I think this staff are (although some on here don't agree with me) smart enough to figure out how to use them both in the KAO.

Things are going just to smoothly here (Yup a bit of a negative feeling coming from me). I hope CT can deal with it like a pro and not get pissy.
;D

Let us remember, he played for a long time in the shadows of a certain star in Baltimore, and he never said a thing.

I think as long as we still use him, and don't let his talent go to waste, Chester will be fine. Through all this team's struggles last season, he never complained about his lack of help once.

I have a feeling he's just letting the buzz around AD die down, and the focus to shift to the team as a whole. We will see that happen when OTA's get cranked
up again.

Marrdro
05-22-2007, 08:39 AM
"SnoBumMN" wrote:

"Marrdro" wrote:

;D

Let us remember, he played for a long time in the shadows of a certain star in Baltimore, and he never said a thing.

I think as long as we still use him, and don't let his talent go to waste, Chester will be fine. Through all this team's struggles last season, he never complained about his lack of help once.

I have a feeling he's just letting the buzz around AD die down, and the focus to shift to the team as a whole. We will see that happen when OTA's get cranked
up again.

I've said it before (I think)......

You are a wise man my friend.
Great point(s).

cogitans
05-22-2007, 08:43 AM
"SnoBumMN" wrote:

"Marrdro" wrote:

;D

up again.

He'll probably be smart about it. All his coaches has said that there will be room for them both. Plus everyone agreed last season that he may have gotten too many carries which had negative effect late in the season.

If he is - smart that is - he'll let the training camp and the actual games show that he's worth his share of the carries.

Prophet
05-22-2007, 08:44 AM
No mattter how they utilize the backs it is good to have a few RBs that could carry the load if need be.
The RB position is always ripe for injuries.
Thank god MeMo isn't the #2, he only looks tough if compared to someone like Michael Bennet...and even then, he is still a pussy.

digital420
05-22-2007, 08:46 AM
"SnoBumMN" wrote:

"Marrdro" wrote:

;D

up again.

u see.. when you have saftey meetings before posting.. it increases the sense made in said post.

great comments Sno!!

DiGiTaL

marcosMN
05-22-2007, 08:47 AM
Now what WOULD cause some problems is if AD develops a huge ego and starts mouthing off about how he wants more carries... Let's hope Chester can instill some of his humility in to his younger counterpart.

6-KINGS
05-22-2007, 09:01 AM
Well let me step in here and say I know all about the newest Viking Runningback.
He is considered the greatest High School Running back in Texas High school EVER!
I watched him play in High School and College.
The young man has unreal talent.
But.............he looks to be another Robert Smith.
The injury gorilla is on his back.
I think a split role with another back like Taylor will keep them both able to play a full season.

Going back in history to Mack And Byner for Cleveland, Galbreath and Muncie in New Orleans and others.
It can work.
The key is not too many carries for any one back. 175-200 each
Hell Jackson will run 100+ times himself (just 6 runs a game) He'll panic and run that many times, easy.

The Vikes will run the hell outta the ball this year.

IMO

gr8vike
05-22-2007, 09:03 AM
If we can use them like Jacksonville used Taylor and Jones-Drew last year that would be alright in my opinion.

Fred Taylor
YEAR TEAM

G

ATT

YDS

AVG

LNG

TD

FD

FUM LOST
JAC

Maurice Drew
YEAR TEAM

G

ATT

YDS

AVG

LNG
TD

FD

FUM LOST

JAC

Drew averaged 7.92 carries a game for the first 12 games, and then Fred Taylor was injured and Drew took off from there averaging 17.75 carries a game for the final 4 games. I think that our duo of CT and AD could match these numbers.

jmcdon00
05-22-2007, 09:37 AM
I think when chester came here he chose the vikings in large part because he would be the feature back, this leads me to believe that he does want most of the carries and is probably dissapointed in the pick of peterson, only time will tell.

Chester got 4 years 14 million. How much is AD making? This can also be a sore spot to chester if they are giving this new player alot more than he is recieving then that player has more status.

Whether this was a good pick of not will depend on the success the vikings offense has this year, unfortunetly without any recievers or a good quarterback the odds are definetly not good that these 2 backs can make it through a season with out getting out of line.

Del Rio
05-22-2007, 09:46 AM
"jmcdon00" wrote:

I think when chester came here he chose the vikings in large part because he would be the feature back, this leads me to believe that he does want most of the carries and is probably dissapointed in the pick of peterson, only time will tell.

Chester got 4 years 14 million. How much is AD making? This can also be a sore spot to chester if they are giving this new player alot more than he is recieving then that player has more status.

Whether this was a good pick of not will depend on the success the vikings offense has this year, unfortunetly without any recievers or a good quarterback the odds are definetly not good that these 2 backs can make it through a season with out getting out of line.

I agree he wants to be a featured back. I imagine the way Childress was carrying on about him he felt very special, now Childress has a new butt buddy there is potential for some hurt there.

The situation is dangerous, and I also agree the only way to avoid an ugly ugly situation is to succeed on the field if we struggle, the situation will be labeled mishandled and childress will lose his job over this. So he better win. Fans will be quick to boil if we struggle.

lakehubertviking
05-22-2007, 10:28 AM
"I think Adrian Peterson's going to be an explosive star," Hoge said. "I've nicknamed him 'The Cashier' because he makes people pay. He finishes runs the way Walter Payton did. All those teams that passed him up, he's going to make them pay, too."

I've nicknamed Merrill Hodge "Mr. unecessary nickname appointer guy" because, well he just is.
Also I've nicknamed myself "The Oakland Airport Security Line Checker" because I can be an a-hole for no reason sometimes.

seaniemck7
05-22-2007, 11:35 AM
"Del" wrote:

"jmcdon00" wrote:

I agree he wants to be a featured back. I imagine the way Childress was carrying on about him he felt very special, now Childress has a new butt buddy there is potential for some hurt there.

The situation is dangerous, and I also agree the only way to avoid an ugly ugly situation is to succeed on the field if we struggle, the situation will be labeled mishandled and childress will lose his job over this. So he better win. Fans will be quick to boil if we struggle.

As Del stated, winning cures all.
However if we are continue to lose games that we should win, things could get ugly.
I so see us moving AD around ala Reggie Bush.
If Williamson struggles, I see the possibilty of using Rice, Wade and then AD in the slot for a lot of formations.

Prophet
05-22-2007, 12:47 PM
"Del" wrote:

... Fans will be quick to boil if we struggle.

Wow, that would be a surprise.
I thought the NFL was all about instant gratification and finger pointing.

Every time the team loses there are many more fans on pp.o than after a win.
Some only show up when the team is struggling so they can go off on their pet diatribe.
This is when it is especially fun to post on pp.o, when retards post with their emotions and without the semblance of a brain.

Del Rio
05-22-2007, 01:19 PM
"Prophet" wrote:

"Del" wrote:

... Fans will be quick to boil if we struggle.

Wow, that would be a surprise.
I thought the NFL was all about instant gratification and finger pointing.

Every time the team loses there are many more fans on pp.o than after a win.
Some only show up when the team is struggling so they can go off on their pet diatribe.
This is when it is especially fun to post on pp.o, when retards post with their emotions and without the semblance of a brain.

I agree it is poor behavior but the situation seems explosive for Chilly. Lots of questions I bet enough to even have Wilf second guessing. If we struggle and the purple faithless rise up.

MaxVike
05-22-2007, 01:31 PM
I am optimistic that this will work.
Struggle we will as TJack and the new receivers and AP get acquainted.
Best case scenario is that the D carries us to a 4-4 opening with the young playmakers jelling in time to have a good second half.
I think that might be too much for us to ask, however, I DO believe this backfield will succeed, eventually.
Yes, it could be a train wreck waiting to happen, but, I think the character of the two guys will prevail.
CT will get the majority of carries, as he should...for awhile.
We shall see, but I just have a feeling that AP is going to have huge affect on us fans.
Having dreaded the prospect of my beloved 'Huskers getting shredded by this kid, I am very happy he's a Vike.
Interestingly enough, so is he...this will work; for awhile.

PackSux!
05-22-2007, 06:04 PM
Chester Taylor is probably the happiest guy on the team.
Taylor was a workhorse last year and he paid for it.
He got beat up towards the end of the season and even missed gametime.

The age of the old school single runningback workhorse is over.
The age of the Two Headed monster is upon us.

cajunvike
05-22-2007, 06:07 PM
If it worked for the Saints, Bores, Colts and others, it should work for us too!

i_bleed_purple
05-22-2007, 06:16 PM
true, but reggie bush had unreal talent.
not only could he line up as a rb, he was a legitimate threat as a wideout.
i could be wrong, but i don't think AP will be a scary threat lined up at wr the way reggie can be.

Freya
05-22-2007, 06:50 PM
This doesn't seem like a problem to me.
Basically, whoever is on their game, gets the ball. Week by week. Play by play.

My only question is;
Is Childress smart enough to manage this.

cajunvike
05-22-2007, 06:58 PM
"i_bleed_purple" wrote:

true, but reggie bush had unreal talent.
not only could he line up as a rb, he was a legitimate threat as a wideout.
i could be wrong, but i don't think AP will be a scary threat lined up at wr the way reggie can be.

Only ONE way to find out...and AP IS taller than RB...that's gotta count for something out there in the passing lanes.