PDA

View Full Version : Giants - KEYS to winning the game?



snowinapril
10-27-2004, 12:37 PM
I know it is early to start talkiing about the game for this sunday but I am getting excited. This is going to be a true test. This is going to be one of the first GOOD teams that we have faced (ya ya ya we played the Eagles).

What is the Key to winning this game?

snowinapril
10-27-2004, 12:44 PM
Poll Question was suppose to have Linebackers onthe also. Oh well.

With the Giants, the keys I see are:

1) stopping Tiki at the line and having a (fast)LB shadow him, which roanell smith is. Keep him from breaking the big one.

2) Get pressure on Warner to cause fumbles and INTs

3) Make Warner win with the pass.

4) O-line has to keep the Giants D-line from getting too much pressure on DC

5) Vikes have to have a better running day than the Giants.

little redhead
10-27-2004, 12:49 PM
I agree with your number one. If we limit Tiki who seems to be on fire this year then I think the rest will fall into place. Didn't he used to have a fumbling habit perhaps we can help him along with that. Yes you have to get some pressure on Kurt Warner as well perhaps Thug 1 and Thug 2 will knock him out of the game this week as well....I don't know if it would be better to have Eli Manning in or not. For some reason rookie quarterbacks seem to do well against us. I think the offense will be just fine so we need the Defense to play like they played last week and we should have no problems with the Giants.

snowinapril
10-27-2004, 12:58 PM
Are you referring to Udeze and Williams?? Thug 1 and 2

The last person in on McNair, that was questionably late.

The first hit was not thuggish.

I like the nickname for both of them though.

Was that Udeze or an interior lineman?

little redhead
10-27-2004, 01:05 PM
No actually I was referring to Hovan and Williams. Hovan is referred to Thug 1 on the powertrip morning show on Kfan so I just thought it would be fitting to name Williams Thug Two for that particular play. No there was nothing Thugish about the play just continuing the use of Mike Morris's affectionate name so to speak for Hovan as I think it is pretty fitting for him.

snowinapril
10-27-2004, 01:07 PM
Thanks for the Explanation

Have a good day RedHead.

sdvikefan
10-27-2004, 01:12 PM
"snowinapril" wrote:



1) stopping Tiki at the line and having a (fast)LB shadow him, which roanell smith is. Keep him from breaking the big one.


There is no doubt in my mind this is the biggest key to the game. Barber has already had three games this year where he's gotten at least one 50+ yard run. We know he will get about 25 carries in this game. He is a patient runner who does a good job waiting for his blocking and then eludes defenders with ease. We need to be readay for him. He also figures into the passing game.

VKG4LFE
10-27-2004, 01:16 PM
I think containing Tiki is key to this game! But the past couple of years they have beaten us with the passing game! At least I think that is how they beat us. Containing Tiki on screens and passes in the flat will be huge!!

snowinapril
10-27-2004, 01:24 PM
"VKG4LFE" wrote:

I think containing Tiki is key to this game! But the past couple of years they have beaten us with the passing game! At least I think that is how they beat us. Containing Tiki on screens and passes in the flat will be huge!!

Yes, I selectively remember bits and pieces of the New York G-men games also. They have been tough to watch and I have a tendency to want to forget them.

ADubya26
10-27-2004, 01:58 PM
Run well and stop the run

VikingsTw
10-27-2004, 03:27 PM
D-Line no doubt, stop Tiki and put pressure on Warner=We win!

RandyMoss8404
10-27-2004, 04:00 PM
This may seem like a crazy idea, but hear me out.

Put Antoine Winfield in bump and run coverage all day on their second receiver. Leave Brian Williams playing dedicated cover corner on Amani Toomer, and leave Winfield near the line. That way, when Tiki goes for his big runs, he'll get rocked. Buffalo did this against Miami on a consistent basis, because he wouldn't run to Winfield's side. Why? Because the couple times he did, Winfield knocked him OUT.

dart18
10-27-2004, 04:15 PM
well im gonna pull a madden.
"The key to winning at home is to score more points than your opponent"
and that my friends is the key to winning.

vikesfan
10-27-2004, 04:27 PM
My biggest concern about this game is Strahan going up against Nat Dorsey on the right side of the line. Dorsey has done a decent job filling in this year, but this will be a huge test for him.

StrahanEatsPepper
10-27-2004, 06:49 PM
"RandyMoss8404" wrote:

This may seem like a crazy idea, but hear me out.

Put Antoine Winfield in bump and run coverage all day on their second receiver. Leave Brian Williams playing dedicated cover corner on Amani Toomer, and leave Winfield near the line. That way, when Tiki goes for his big runs, he'll get rocked. Buffalo did this against Miami on a consistent basis, because he wouldn't run to Winfield's side. Why? Because the couple times he did, Winfield knocked him OUT.


You left out 1 major thing.....what about Shockey? There are very few LBs who can run with him and few DBs who can handle him physically especially in the Red Zone(just ask Dawkins & Roy Williams)...that is when we actually try to throw to him in the Red Zone

and don't see Tiki getting knocked out because he takes very few clean, solid hits....but do feel free to knock Dayne out anytime he starts to run on to the field...matter of fact I wouldn't mind if you Knocked him out when he steps off the team bus....

hovan
10-27-2004, 06:57 PM
"snowinapril" wrote:

I know it is early to start talkiing about the game for this sunday but I am getting excited. This is going to be a true test. This is going to be one of the first GOOD teams that we have faced (ya ya ya we played the Eagles).

What is the Key to winning this game?

Well I think there should have been a place to voter for the Line Backing Core. We can't have Tiki breaking 70 yard runs on us. Oh wait, he's on my fantasy team. :drunken:

Kleinsasser40
10-27-2004, 07:24 PM
Our DBs NEED to shut down the pass. Make them attempt at running vs our D. If Randy is out or "limited" for next game we might need a low scoring game, our DBs need to protect against the big play.

cajunvike
10-27-2004, 10:53 PM
"StrahanEatsPepper" wrote:

"RandyMoss8404" wrote:

This may seem like a crazy idea, but hear me out.

Put Antoine Winfield in bump and run coverage all day on their second receiver. Leave Brian Williams playing dedicated cover corner on Amani Toomer, and leave Winfield near the line. That way, when Tiki goes for his big runs, he'll get rocked. Buffalo did this against Miami on a consistent basis, because he wouldn't run to Winfield's side. Why? Because the couple times he did, Winfield knocked him OUT.


You left out 1 major thing.....what about Shockey? There are very few LBs who can run with him and few DBs who can handle him physically especially in the Red Zone(just ask Dawkins & Roy Williams)...that is when we actually try to throw to him in the Red Zone

and don't see Tiki getting knocked out because he takes very few clean, solid hits....but do feel free to knock Dayne out anytime he starts to run on to the field...matter of fact I wouldn't mind if you Knocked him out when he steps off the team bus....


That may be true, but our young LBs are very fast and I think that our DBs will handle him better than you think. The key here will be to stop Tiki from having a monster game and I think that our DL will slow him down...that will put the onus on Warner, who will be forced to make plays...I don't think that your WR corps is up to the task with Carter (the deep threat) out.

ultravikingfan
10-28-2004, 03:31 AM
Contain Barber (like we did Chris Brown), get good pressure from our front 4 (Warner has a history of fumblitis), and for God's sake control Strahan. This guy wreaks havoc! If we get really lucky, in comes Manning! Did you see the hit he took in his first game? Wow! I would love to see a Vik crush him ever better!

We need some of this:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v482/ultravikingfan/warner.jpg

hawaiianvike21
10-28-2004, 04:01 AM
D-line, just create choke havoc against warner and guarantee he will F*** up. Ive seen it many times watching ram games and still see it happening now as a giant. Hes like drew bledsoe, very immobile and when you rattle him, he will make bad plays over and over again. IF the d-line pressures him, we have a very good shot at winning. Warner being pressured will lead to turnovers and sacks.

snowinapril
10-28-2004, 09:08 AM
The games that Warner has done well in this year, he was not pressured. The teams that pressure him cause turnovers.

If we were to get enough pressure on him, then I think that he would fold and we wouldn't have to worry about Tiki as much.

Hovan, you can't start Tiki and morally feel good about it. Take one for the team, take one for the team. I feel for ya, been there myself.

muchluv4smoot
10-29-2004, 07:43 PM
"StrahanEatsPepper" wrote:

"RandyMoss8404" wrote:

This may seem like a crazy idea, but hear me out.

Put Antoine Winfield in bump and run coverage all day on their second receiver. Leave Brian Williams playing dedicated cover corner on Amani Toomer, and leave Winfield near the line. That way, when Tiki goes for his big runs, he'll get rocked. Buffalo did this against Miami on a consistent basis, because he wouldn't run to Winfield's side. Why? Because the couple times he did, Winfield knocked him OUT.


You left out 1 major thing.....what about Shockey? There are very few LBs who can run with him and few DBs who can handle him physically especially in the Red Zone(just ask Dawkins & Roy Williams)...that is when we actually try to throw to him in the Red Zone

and don't see Tiki getting knocked out because he takes very few clean, solid hits....but do feel free to knock Dayne out anytime he starts to run on to the field...matter of fact I wouldn't mind if you Knocked him out when he steps off the team bus....



Sorry, but the vikes have the #5 ranked rushing D in the league. We have it for 2 reasons, 1) because we are pretty good at stpooing the run, and 2) because when our offense scores so quiuckly and we get ahead early, the other team can't run on us. These are the 2 reasons why I say that tiki won't be a factor running the ball. Now, catching is a different story. We haven't fared real well, when it comes to stopping the dumpoff passes to backs. This is where tiki will do anything, if at all.

As far as shockey goes. He really isn't in coughlin's offense near as much as he should be. Fassell seem to use him much better. I do worry about him in the redzone, but we certainly have the athleticism at LB this year to contain him everywhere else.

And as far as tiki getting hit, strahaneatspepper, you need to see winfield and brian williams play more, if you think they won't lay some big hits on tiki. We certainly have the 2 hardest hitting CB's in the league, just ask keyshawn and the dallas cowboys offense. Don't be suprised to see them put some big hits on tiki, if he gets through the line, to them.

StrahanEatsPepper
10-29-2004, 08:04 PM
Your "D" doesn't give up alot of rushing yards....that is true....and it is mainly because you guy have been lighting up the scoreboard most games.....but yougive up the 3rd most yards per carry at 4.8....and you've given up the 4th most rushing TDs....so you can be run on but teams can't stick with their run when they are trying to keep pace when you score alot....you have one of the lowest # of rushes against if not the lowest......but until the run needs to be abandoned your "D" can be run on.....and while your DB's may hit hard...not going to dispute that.....my point on Tiki is he very rarely is squared up with his tackler....not to say he won't get hit but usually doesn't take a big pop....

cajunvike
10-29-2004, 11:57 PM
Each week our D gets tougher and tougher and this week they will be at their best all season...this will add up to a domination of your running game and then shutting down your weakened passing game. All the while, our offense will be lighting up the scoreboard...GAME OVER!

hawaiianvike21
10-30-2004, 05:01 AM
I think we left out one major thing. We cant be letting the tim carters, i know hes not playing and ike hillards be getting wide open and making many catches for a ton of yards. They have killed us over the years and it has gone unnoticed. We need to take care of them as well as taking care of warner, barber and toomer.

Deleted_User_2360
10-30-2004, 07:06 AM
"snowinapril" wrote:

The games that Warner has done well in this year, he was not pressured. The teams that pressure him cause turnovers.

If we were to get enough pressure on him, then I think that he would fold and we wouldn't have to worry about Tiki as much.

Hovan, you can't start Tiki and morally feel good about it. Take one for the team, take one for the team. I feel for ya, been there myself.


We must get on the board first! Everytime we play this team, the start
of the game is a debacle. We get behind quick and in most cases it's
like an avalanch. Time and time again, we are not a comeback team.
Moss is not even near 80%, so his effectiveness may be as a decoy
on sunday. Agreed, Warner under pressure is not effective.......However, we have one of the worse pass rushes in the league... Give Warner time and he's capable of eating you up.

We need to controll the ball on "O" and put it in the endzone first.

snowinapril
10-30-2004, 12:04 PM
"buck" wrote:

"snowinapril" wrote:

The games that Warner has done well in this year, he was not pressured. The teams that pressure him cause turnovers.

If we were to get enough pressure on him, then I think that he would fold and we wouldn't have to worry about Tiki as much.

Hovan, you can't start Tiki and morally feel good about it. Take one for the team, take one for the team. I feel for ya, been there myself.


We must get on the board first! Everytime we play this team, the start
of the game is a debacle. We get behind quick and in most cases it's
like an avalanch. Time and time again, we are not a comeback team.
Moss is not even near 80%, so his effectiveness may be as a decoy
on sunday. Agreed, Warner under pressure is not effective.......However, we have one of the worse pass rushes in the league... Give Warner time and he's capable of eating you up.

We need to controll the ball on "O" and put it in the endzone first.

Yes, I think you are right. We should score first with Moore doing the most of the work. This will use the clock like you said. Then we can have Daunte open up the game with the pass.

Nothing would please me more than 44-0 payback. It is probably not realistic but it is something to hope for.

Realistically 35-17 would be nise too.

LAVike
10-30-2004, 12:24 PM
DB's need to step it up and prove that last week's 3 points wasn't a fluke. They did pretty good with man coverage. Can we ever beat the Giants!? Here's our chance to crush 'em! Look for Hovan to get four sacks (LOL).

muchluv4smoot
10-30-2004, 03:06 PM
"StrahanEatsPepper" wrote:

Your "D" doesn't give up alot of rushing yards....that is true....and it is mainly because you guy have been lighting up the scoreboard most games.....but yougive up the 3rd most yards per carry at 4.8....and you've given up the 4th most rushing TDs....so you can be run on but teams can't stick with their run when they are trying to keep pace when you score alot....you have one of the lowest # of rushes against if not the lowest......but until the run needs to be abandoned your "D" can be run on.....and while your DB's may hit hard...not going to dispute that.....my point on Tiki is he very rarely is squared up with his tackler....not to say he won't get hit but usually doesn't take a big pop....


Actually if you have watched our games this year, our D has done a good job at stopping the run early on in the games. It is when we get ahead by a lot and the other team starts to pass the ball a lot more, that is when we get burned on some longer runs. We start to realize they have to pass the ball and that they are gonna pass it all the time, so we play the pass and get burned on draws and other runs. This is why the yards per carry is higher than it actually should be. I have all the games taped and have watched each game a # of times, so trust me when I say that we have done a great job at stopping the run early in games, but struggle when we get ahead and start playing the pass more.

CanuckVike
10-30-2004, 10:44 PM
Well I can tell one key to winning tomorrow's game against the G-Men will be...NOT having Denard Walker with us anymore! I just watched last years game just to get warmed up...and most the heat came from the afterburn from Walkers repeated scorchings he took from Giant receivers! He also made some tackle attempts that were right up there with an orange highway pylon! Thank St. Mirren he's gone!!! (I feel bad for Oakland!)

cajunvike
10-30-2004, 10:49 PM
"CanuckVike" wrote:

Well I can tell one key to winning tomorrow's game against the G-Men will be...NOT having Denard Walker with us anymore! I just watched last years game just to get warmed up...and most the heat came from the afterburn from Walkers repeated scorchings he took from Giant receivers! He also made some tackle attempts that were right up there with an orange highway pylon! Thank St. Mirren he's gone!!! (I feel bad for Oakland!)

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

UTVikfan
10-30-2004, 11:01 PM
We can stop their run. We just need to make Warner lose his starting spot. If the D-Line can get to him, it will be a fun, fun day for our ballhawking DB's. If not, WE ARE TOAST! He can pick any team apart if he isn't hurried. I hope KW, Udeze, Mixon, Martin, and Hovan are up for their best game this year. I voted for MM, but after thinking about it, it's the D-Line or bust.