PDA

View Full Version : Restricted FAs to sign



Prophet
04-23-2007, 10:08 AM
Monday, April 23, 2007
Restricted FAs to sign (http://www.vikingsnow.blogspot.com/)

Guard Anthony Herrera and defensive lineman Spencer Johnson -- two of the Vikings' four restricted free agents -- will sign their one-year tenders today, according to their agents.

Defensive end Darrion Scott, who had hoped to sign a long-term deal with the team, will do the same in the next couple of days, agent Tim DiPiero said.

Running back Artose Pinner is the Vikings' other restricted free agent.
posted by Don Seeholzer

NodakPaul
04-23-2007, 10:11 AM
I will be glad when Scott signs.
I like him.
The others I could take or leave.

BloodyHorns82
04-23-2007, 10:49 AM
Yep...pretty lackluster set of FA signings; typical.

Garland Greene
04-23-2007, 10:54 AM
Glad to see them sign pinner. I guess I am still confused with the need for another RB Pinner looked decent when he got his chance, Mewedle Moore, and
Ciatrick "get your game" Fason see like the could make a solid change of pace back to Taylor if they game one of them a chance.

Purplexing
04-23-2007, 11:35 AM
"Garland" wrote:


Glad to see them sign pinner. I guess I am still confused with the need for another RB Pinner looked decent when he got his chance, Mewedle Moore, and
Ciatrick "get your game" Fason see like the could make a solid change of pace back to Taylor if they game one of them a chance.


Only the first three were listed as ready to sign.
Pinner was listed as the fourth of the 4 restricted free agents, but not as 'signing (soon)'.

Players who fear being replaced with a draft pick will come to the realization that it is better to sign now and have a chance to compete rather than be replaced by a rookie.

This also helps the Vikings finalize their draft board because they have a little more depth on the OL and DL.
So, they don't have a great a need to reach for a backup OL or DL in rounds beyond the first 2.

DustinDupont
04-23-2007, 11:56 AM
i could care less about any of those guys

MetalMike-LoudVike
04-23-2007, 12:52 PM
Darrion Scott, re sign Spencer Johnson if they dont get off their hind quartds and go after Ian Scott.
MMLV

Mr. Purple
04-23-2007, 12:53 PM
I like both of the signings.We know what these guys can do, and they are proven depth.I was nervous we where going to lose Scott, but i'm glad hes coming back.

singersp
04-23-2007, 05:32 PM
"NodakPaul" wrote:


I will be glad when Scott signs.
I like him.
The others I could take or leave.


Well you better take them. If they don't resign Johnson, who will play right tackle?

For those who haven't noticed, McKinnie is the only tackle on the team right now that is signed. They have no one else on the roster or practice squad that is a tackle.

With Johnson resigning, who will spell him or McKinnie if either one needs to sit out a play or two. Again, there is not another tackle on the roster anywhere.

Also, if Hererra hadn't signed, you'd only have practice squader Jimmy Martin to back up Hicks &
Hutchinson.


Hello? Don't you think the Vikings need to address depth & the lack of it on the OL in the draft?

PurplePeopleEaters
04-23-2007, 05:58 PM
"singersp" wrote:


"NodakPaul" wrote:


I will be glad when Scott signs.
I like him.
The others I could take or leave.


Well you better take them. If they don't resign Johnson, who will play right tackle?

For those who haven't noticed, McKinnie is the only tackle on the team right now that is signed. They have no one else on the roster or practice squad that is a tackle.

With Johnson resigning, who will spell him or McKinnie if either one needs to sit out a play or two. Again, there is not another tackle on the roster anywhere.

Also, if Hererra hadn't signed, you'd only have practice squader Jimmy Martin to back up Hicks &
Hutchinson.


Hello? Don't you think the Vikings need to address depth & the lack of it on the OL in the draft?



Johnson is a defensive tackle..

What about Ryan Cook, and Marcus Johnson as tackles along with McKinnie. There will still be FA's signed post-draft. I mean, you have to fill the roster.

singersp
04-23-2007, 06:36 PM
"PurplePeopleEaters" wrote:


"singersp" wrote:


"NodakPaul" wrote:


I will be glad when Scott signs.
I like him.
The others I could take or leave.


Well you better take them. If they don't resign Johnson, who will play right tackle?

For those who haven't noticed, McKinnie is the only tackle on the team right now that is signed. They have no one else on the roster or practice squad that is a tackle.

With Johnson resigning, who will spell him or McKinnie if either one needs to sit out a play or two. Again, there is not another tackle on the roster anywhere.

Also, if Hererra hadn't signed, you'd only have practice squader Jimmy Martin to back up Hicks &
Hutchinson.


Hello? Don't you think the Vikings need to address depth & the lack of it on the OL in the draft?



Johnson is a defensive tackle..

What about Ryan Cook, and Marcus Johnson as tackles along with McKinnie. There will still be FA's signed post-draft. I mean, you have to fill the roster.


LOL! I was actually talking about Marcus Johnson. Him & McKinnie are the only Tackles on the team.......period!

Cook is still listed as a Center. Will the convert him to Tackle as well? When he was in last year, was he a G or a T?

I know there is still opportunity in the draft & FA, but I don't want to end up with piss poor late round lineman or someones FA toaster leavin's.

They should have been looking for & perhaps signing OL man when they let Rosie go & Whittle signed with the Bills. They didn't even bring one into camp from FA for a look see or we would have heard about it.

The lack of intention to our OL this offseason has me puzzled. This is the one part of the team where B-Chill emphasized it's importance. He seems to have let the rightside of the line fall to the wayside.

nephilimstorm
04-23-2007, 07:04 PM
Wh is that Tackle is now a concern when i remember at one time we had the most dominant offensive line..but that was a long time ago...

PurplePeopleEaters
04-23-2007, 07:26 PM
"singersp" wrote:


"PurplePeopleEaters" wrote:


"singersp" wrote:


"NodakPaul" wrote:


I will be glad when Scott signs.
I like him.
The others I could take or leave.


Well you better take them. If they don't resign Johnson, who will play right tackle?

For those who haven't noticed, McKinnie is the only tackle on the team right now that is signed. They have no one else on the roster or practice squad that is a tackle.

With Johnson resigning, who will spell him or McKinnie if either one needs to sit out a play or two. Again, there is not another tackle on the roster anywhere.

Also, if Hererra hadn't signed, you'd only have practice squader Jimmy Martin to back up Hicks &
Hutchinson.


Hello? Don't you think the Vikings need to address depth & the lack of it on the OL in the draft?



Johnson is a defensive tackle..

What about Ryan Cook, and Marcus Johnson as tackles along with McKinnie. There will still be FA's signed post-draft. I mean, you have to fill the roster.


LOL! I was actually talking about Marcus Johnson. Him & McKinnie are the only Tackles on the team.......period!

Cook is still listed as a Center. Will the convert him to Tackle as well? When he was in last year, was he a G or a T?

I know there is still opportunity in the draft & FA, but I don't want to end up with piss poor late round lineman or someones FA toaster leavin's.

They should have been looking for & perhaps signing OL man when they let Rosie go & Whittle signed with the Bills. They didn't even bring one into camp from FA for a look see or we would have heard about it.

The lack of intention to our OL this offseason has me puzzled. This is the one part of the team where B-Chill emphasized it's importance. He seems to have let the rightside of the line fall to the wayside.


It's fallen to the wayside because:

A. We have all of our starters in place and continuity is a good thing on an offensive line

or

B. We are targeting a Joe Thomas in a trade.

singersp
04-23-2007, 07:37 PM
"PurplePeopleEaters" wrote:


"singersp" wrote:


"PurplePeopleEaters" wrote:


"singersp" wrote:


"NodakPaul" wrote:


I will be glad when Scott signs.
I like him.
The others I could take or leave.


Well you better take them. If they don't resign Johnson, who will play right tackle?

For those who haven't noticed, McKinnie is the only tackle on the team right now that is signed. They have no one else on the roster or practice squad that is a tackle.

With Johnson resigning, who will spell him or McKinnie if either one needs to sit out a play or two. Again, there is not another tackle on the roster anywhere.

Also, if Hererra hadn't signed, you'd only have practice squader Jimmy Martin to back up Hicks &
Hutchinson.


Hello? Don't you think the Vikings need to address depth & the lack of it on the OL in the draft?



Johnson is a defensive tackle..

What about Ryan Cook, and Marcus Johnson as tackles along with McKinnie. There will still be FA's signed post-draft. I mean, you have to fill the roster.


LOL! I was actually talking about Marcus Johnson. Him & McKinnie are the only Tackles on the team.......period!

Cook is still listed as a Center. Will the convert him to Tackle as well? When he was in last year, was he a G or a T?

I know there is still opportunity in the draft & FA, but I don't want to end up with piss poor late round lineman or someones FA toaster leavin's.

They should have been looking for & perhaps signing OL man when they let Rosie go & Whittle signed with the Bills. They didn't even bring one into camp from FA for a look see or we would have heard about it.

The lack of intention to our OL this offseason has me puzzled. This is the one part of the team where B-Chill emphasized it's importance. He seems to have let the rightside of the line fall to the wayside.


It's fallen to the wayside because:

A. We have all of our starters in place and continuity is a good thing on an offensive line

or

B. We are targeting a Joe Thomas in a trade.


Hmmm, interesting. Do you think Vikes would go for an OL
with the first pick?

Yea, we have are starters for the right side. Johnson & Hicks set. But with their performance last year,they are more set in jello, than stone.

I'm assuming the boys will pick up 1 or 2 in the draft, but I was thinking they might be waiting til a 2nd, 3rd or 4th round before taking one.

Purple Floyd
04-23-2007, 10:28 PM
As long as it took for the offensive line to "Gel" last year (16+games) with this new offense, I hope they get a big jump on it this year. But if we bring in new players, then it will take them another year to learn it, which puts us to 2008.

singersp
04-23-2007, 10:31 PM
"UffDaVikes" wrote:


As long as it took for the offensive line to "Gel" last year (16+games) with this new offense, I hope they get a big jump on it this year. But if we bring in new players, then it will take them another year to learn it, which puts us to 2008.


Been saying that all along.

tb04512
04-23-2007, 10:32 PM
"PurplePeopleEaters" wrote:


"singersp" wrote:


"PurplePeopleEaters" wrote:


"singersp" wrote:


"NodakPaul" wrote:


I will be glad when Scott signs.
I like him.
The others I could take or leave.


Well you better take them. If they don't resign Johnson, who will play right tackle?

For those who haven't noticed, McKinnie is the only tackle on the team right now that is signed. They have no one else on the roster or practice squad that is a tackle.

With Johnson resigning, who will spell him or McKinnie if either one needs to sit out a play or two. Again, there is not another tackle on the roster anywhere.

Also, if Hererra hadn't signed, you'd only have practice squader Jimmy Martin to back up Hicks &
Hutchinson.


Hello? Don't you think the Vikings need to address depth & the lack of it on the OL in the draft?



Johnson is a defensive tackle..

What about Ryan Cook, and Marcus Johnson as tackles along with McKinnie. There will still be FA's signed post-draft. I mean, you have to fill the roster.


LOL! I was actually talking about Marcus Johnson. Him & McKinnie are the only Tackles on the team.......period!

Cook is still listed as a Center. Will the convert him to Tackle as well? When he was in last year, was he a G or a T?

I know there is still opportunity in the draft & FA, but I don't want to end up with piss poor late round lineman or someones FA toaster leavin's.

They should have been looking for & perhaps signing OL man when they let Rosie go & Whittle signed with the Bills. They didn't even bring one into camp from FA for a look see or we would have heard about it.

The lack of intention to our OL this offseason has me puzzled. This is the one part of the team where B-Chill emphasized it's importance. He seems to have let the rightside of the line fall to the wayside.


It's fallen to the wayside because:

A. We have all of our starters in place and continuity is a good thing on an offensive line

or

B. We are targeting a Joe Thomas in a trade.


isnt Thomas a LT?? if you want to switch him over it would be harder than you think.

mountainviking
04-24-2007, 11:59 AM
Actually, I am stoked these guys are back!!!!
They know the system and have all played better than expected when forced into duty.
Therefore, great backups to have!!
In fact, if they don't move Marcus J to RG, and Hicks doesn't shape up, I'd give Herrara a chance at starting there!!
AND, as much as Darrion Scott has had to start, I'd say we better extend him!
Especially if we don't get a first day DE!!

I really don't think Joe Thomas is our guy, but there is the Wisconnsin connection again :o

Right now, Cook has been mentioned as the RT starter...

ejmat
04-24-2007, 12:29 PM
What about trading for Faneca.
Wwe have that Pittsburgh connection now in Tomlin.
Just a suggestion.

singersp
04-24-2007, 06:52 PM
"ejmat" wrote:


What about trading for Faneca.
Wwe have that Pittsburgh connection now in Tomlin.
Just a suggestion.


"Kevin Colbert, the team's director of football operations, also said they would consider trading players -- and that presumably would include unhappy guard Alan Faneca."

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/07114/780467-66.stm

cajunvike
04-24-2007, 07:07 PM
"ejmat" wrote:


What about trading for Faneca.
Wwe have that Pittsburgh connection now in Tomlin.
Just a suggestion.


Faneca is unhappy because he wants the BIG payday...so UNLESS the Vikings want to sign a THIRD O-linemam to a big contract, you won't see Faneca in the Purple and Gold. Not that I wouldn't love to have him as a Viking...it just doesn't seem feasible...plus I think that Faneca is a LG...and he WON'T supplant Hutch.

Our best setup would be Cook at RT and Marcus at RG with Hicks, Herrera and some young OL prospect at OT as our backups...maybe they go G or T as early as the second or third round (although I think we should draft WR with our first two picks).

singersp
04-24-2007, 07:44 PM
VIKINGS SIGN TWO VETERANS (http://www.vikings.com/news_detail_objectname_VikesSignRFA42407.html)

APRIL 24, 2007

The Minnesota Vikings have signed restricted free agents RB Artose Pinner and G Anthony Herrera.

Both players have starting experience with the Vikings and have made their marks on the team during their careers. Pinner tied a Vikings record with 3 rushing TDs playing against his old Detroit teammates at Ford Field in 2006 and set a career-high with 125 rushing yards in the game. Herrera started 6 games at LG in 2005 and has worked his way from a rookie free agent to a valuable and versatile lineman who can play all 3 interior line positions.