PDA

View Full Version : Childress on Cook

COJOMAY
03-30-2007, 09:36 PM
The Vikings didn't re-sign veteran offensive tackle Mike Rosenthal, and one reason might be that coach Brad Childress says he sees a good future for 2006 second-round draft choice Ryan Cook, who did get some playing time last season...

More at: http://www.startribune.com/507/story/1089021.html

Purplexing
03-30-2007, 09:59 PM
Cook was said to be too tall to be a pro center, so he's going to have to make it as a RT.
He earned his keep last year, and this year he will be kept because he can backup Birk at C.
But if he doesn't improve at RT, he may be cut or demoted to the bench in favor of a good RT, despite the fact he can play C.
He will only be used as a center if Birk is injured.

I hope Cook does well at RT in mini-camp so the Vikings don't have to pursue a RT and backup C too soon; i.e the 2007 draft, or in 2008, because there are more pressing needs on O this year.

I wonder what brought on this question by the reporter about Cook?
???

Ltrey33
03-30-2007, 10:22 PM
I thought Cook played pretty well last year. He made some rookie mistakes (some false starts if I recall) but I thought he did pretty well for a rookie. He was better than Marcus "Revolving Door" Johnson, that's for sure.

PurplePeopleEaters
03-30-2007, 10:55 PM
He definitely has the Height to play tackle in the NFL, it's just we don't know if he'll live up to his potential. I guess we'll have to see with time.

snowinapril
03-30-2007, 11:05 PM
I like the Cook draft last year.

The multiple positions thing appealed to me.
Last season, with Birk coming back from injury, it was a great pick up to have in place under the circumstances.
Cook could be our center in the future??

tb04512
03-30-2007, 11:32 PM
"snowinapril" wrote:

I like the Cook draft last year.

The multiple positions thing appealed to me.
Last season, with Birk coming back from injury, it was a great pick up to have in place under the circumstances.
Cook could be our center in the future??

They say he is too tall to be a center, so i doubt we will see him as our future C. He will be our RT, hopefully if he pans out

Purplexing
03-30-2007, 11:36 PM
This is partly why re-signing Birk to an extension is pivotal to solidifying and stabilizing the OL for several years.

davike
03-31-2007, 12:25 AM
"Purplexing" wrote:

This is partly why re-signing Birk to an extension is pivotal to solidifying and stabilizing the OL for several years.

But Birk is over 30, we can't sign him!!!
;) ;D

davike
03-31-2007, 12:26 AM
I hope we get a deal done with Birk, but I can't blame them for waiting a year. Cook showed some good stuff last year, he got his feet wet last year and now he should start to get comfortable at T. Hopefully he turns out to be another good pick by Childress.

kramer9guy
03-31-2007, 01:19 AM
http://i12.tinypic.com/479qlib.jpg

bigbadragz
03-31-2007, 02:15 AM
well lets just hope that this isn't childress blowing more smoke up our butts.
remember when tice would talk up guys like lewis kelly and chris lewinski and the next thing you know the guys were being benched every other game, much like marcus johnson, mike rosenthal, and so on and so forth.
remember when he would always talk about this guy grading out as the best o-lineman this week.
whatever tice, we were losing to the worse teams in the nfl after starting off 6-0, hello?

whackthepack
03-31-2007, 08:45 PM
"bigbadragz" wrote:

remember when tice would talk up guys like lewis kelly and chris lewinski and the next thing you know the guys were being benched every other game, much like marcus johnson, mike rosenthal, and so on and so forth.
remember when he would always talk about this guy grading out as the best o-lineman this week.
whatever tice, we were losing to the worse teams in the nfl after starting off 6-0, hello?

Offensive lineman usually take 3 to 4 years to reach their potential, because Marcus Johnson hasn't been the starter we had hoped for yet doesn't mean that he won't be someday.
Plus I would like to see him move into the right guard position and make Hicks a backup.

bigbadragz
03-31-2007, 08:46 PM
"whackthepack" wrote:

"bigbadragz" wrote:

Offensive lineman usually take 3 to 4 years to reach their potential, because Marcus Johnson hasn't been the starter we had hoped for yet doesn't mean that he won't be someday.
Plus I would like to see him move into the right guard position and make Hicks a backup.

so would i but they seem to not wanna put him there

Purplexing
03-31-2007, 08:47 PM
"bigbadragz" wrote:

Tice blew smoke up your butt?

No one I know was fooled by Tice.
You're the first to admit it.

mountainviking
04-02-2007, 10:58 AM
Hell Yeah!!
That is what I've been saying too!!!!
Put MarcusJ at RG, Birk can help him put that "mean streak" to work, the left side should be good by now...Hopefully Cook develops at RT!!
Maybe we can run to the right almost as well as left...?

Del Rio
04-02-2007, 11:10 AM
I have seen and took part in drill with Cook, the guy is solid and like I said when we picked him he will last a long time in the NFL.

There is no way he is too tall to play center lmao. He has played center in college. The QB's in the NFL are taller anyway. He can pull and get his hands on you. The Vikings could use him at center np.

Billy Boy
04-02-2007, 11:17 AM
"Purplexing" wrote:

Cook was said to be too tall to be a pro center, so he's going to have to make it as a RT.
He earned his keep last year, and this year he will be kept because he can backup Birk at C.
But if he doesn't improve at RT, he may be cut or demoted to the bench in favor of a good RT, despite the fact he can play C.

I have heard this criticism of him too.
I remember someone saying it on draft day last year.
Heck mighta even been Kiper.

I agree with Del Rio though I dont understand why he could play center in college ball but not the NFL.

"Cook has excellent size for a center and if he blocks aggressively, he has the size and natural strength to be a force in the middle. He needs to use his hands more aggressively in pass protection to punch and slow the defensive tackle's initial rush. He is good at sealing the defensive tackle out of the play on inside runs and can make the reach block more effectively than most offensive linemen despite lacking good athletic ability. He is a smart, instinctive center who sees defensive line stunts/loops and delayed blitzes coming and can adjust to make the block. Overall, Cook is the type of center who is often overlooked because he is a limited athlete and does not dominate his man and may not be drafted because of it. However, Cook is going to learn to use his hands better and will make an NFL team as a backup center/guard and eventually will develop into a solid starting center. He will never be dominant, but will be solid and will block his man well in a small area. He reminds me a little bit of Patriots center Dan Koppen. "

This profile contradicts the comments we heard about him being too tall.

NodakPaul
04-02-2007, 11:23 AM
"Purplexing" wrote:

"bigbadragz" wrote:

Tice blew smoke up your butt?

No one I know was fooled by Tice.
You're the first to admit it.

Come on, with 6-0 and 5-1 starts, there wee a couple of years when I think we were all fooled a little... :)

davike
04-02-2007, 11:30 AM
"Del" wrote:

I have seen and took part in drill with Cook, the guy is solid and like I said when we picked him he will last a long time in the NFL.

There is no way he is too tall to play center lmao. He has played center in college. The QB's in the NFL are taller anyway. He can pull and get his hands on you. The Vikings could use him at center np.

Where ever he plays I hope he turns out to be a dominant player.

ballhog27
04-02-2007, 11:39 AM
This is what bugs me. In earlier posts people talk about Matt Birk being 30 and that we shouldn't resign him due to age issues. What is wrong with some of these people? This isn't your father's game anymore. Most players can play till they are 37 years of age and still make a valuable contirbution. Even if this sport is hard on the body, most professionals lift weights and condition themselves far better than the athletes of even the early 90s. That being said, I thought it was a dumb idea for the Vikings not to draft Greg Eslinger late in last year's draft. Matt Birk is still not a sure thing in my book because he plays next to the best LG in the game.

Del Rio
04-02-2007, 11:46 AM
"Billy" wrote:

"Purplexing" wrote:

I have heard this criticism of him too.
I remember someone saying it on draft day last year.
Heck mighta even been Kiper.

I agree with Del Rio though I dont understand why he could play center in college ball but not the NFL.

"Cook has excellent size for a center and if he blocks aggressively, he has the size and natural strength to be a force in the middle. He needs to use his hands more aggressively in pass protection to punch and slow the defensive tackle's initial rush. He is good at sealing the defensive tackle out of the play on inside runs and can make the reach block more effectively than most offensive linemen despite lacking good athletic ability. He is a smart, instinctive center who sees defensive line stunts/loops and delayed blitzes coming and can adjust to make the block. Overall, Cook is the type of center who is often overlooked because he is a limited athlete and does not dominate his man and may not be drafted because of it. However, Cook is going to learn to use his hands better and will make an NFL team as a backup center/guard and eventually will develop into a solid starting center. He will never be dominant, but will be solid and will block his man well in a small area. He reminds me a little bit of Patriots center Dan Koppen. "

This profile contradicts the comments we heard about him being too tall.

[/quote]

I don't know what they are thinking really. Sounds like unwarranted non-sense as far as his height. It would be a problem if he let it be, but it hasn't his entire career.

This was a guy that was heavily scouted for each game we played them and he was the center. That is how dominant he was. I watched him block our all region DT flat on his back and give help to both Guards.

I am excited to see if he can develop in the NFL to his potential.

FreakinVikingsBaby
04-02-2007, 12:48 PM
"davike" wrote:

"Purplexing" wrote:

But Birk is over 30, we can't sign him!!!
;) ;D

I dunno if he retired yet, but there was an 0-lineman playing for the redskins who was 40 something. Plus, you don't take the same beating as an 0-lineman as other's do. I wouldn't have a problem resigning a veteran probowler who's always given great effort.

Purplexing
04-02-2007, 01:26 PM
Yes, OL lose very little of their very minimal speed when they hit 30.

So, age is less of a factor for an OL, K, P, and QB than for a skill position which relies on speed; e.g. CB. WR, S.

Cook is (said to be) too tall to be a center because small QBs would have a difficult time throwing over him.
Fewer throws would be made over a OT, so taller OL might do better on the outside edge.
Taller centers might have more of a challenge in regard to getting their shoulder pads (and center of gravity) under a DTs shoulder pads, for better leverage, than shorter centers.

Del Rio
04-02-2007, 01:28 PM
"Purplexing" wrote:

So, age is less of a factor for an OL, K, P, and QB than for a skill position which relies on speed; e.g. CB. WR, S.

Cook is (said to be) too tall to be a center because small QBs would have a difficult time throwing over him.
Fewer throws would be made over a OT, so taller OL might do better on the outside edge.
Taller centers might have more of a challenge in regard to getting their shoulder pads (and center of gravity) under a DTs shoulder pads, for better leverage, than shorter centers.

Birk is 2inches shorter then cook, multiple pro-bowl center.......2 inches.....

The only place 2 inches would make a difference would be cajuns pants.

BadlandsVikings
04-02-2007, 01:33 PM
"Del" wrote:

"Purplexing" wrote:

http://www.getsmileyface.com/sm/fingers/fing21.gif

Zeus
04-02-2007, 01:42 PM
"Del" wrote:

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/3/32/Hochuli_TD_NFCChamp2005-06.jpg

That should be the new motto of PP.O, instead of that "We'll go ashore...." nonsense.

=Z=

FreakinVikingsBaby
04-02-2007, 01:45 PM
"Del" wrote:

"Purplexing" wrote:

LMAO!!! lol

Purplexing
04-02-2007, 01:50 PM
"BadlandsViking" wrote:

"Del" wrote:

"Purplexing" wrote:

http://www.getsmileyface.com/sm/fingers/fing21.gif

Cajun's pants are too tight?
???

Time for a new diet....
;D

Del Rio
04-02-2007, 01:55 PM
I think the main problem is the QB's line of sight. They are worried that cook would block the vision of a pocket passing qb and the said qb would not be able to see the middle of the field which would make all of his reads more difficult and virtually impossible to read off a single saftey. Passes themselves go over all linemans heads, possibly even the centers the least. Just makes no sense.

From the info given in the read it looks like Chilly hasn't ruled him out at center if we need it.

Purplexing
04-02-2007, 01:59 PM
"Del" wrote:

"Purplexing" wrote:

You are assuming that Birk is the proper height for a center.
He may be a bit too tall, but his superior physical skills, excellent ability to bend for leverage positioning, and mental capacities, may allow him to overcome his, er, tallcomings.
::)

Del Rio
04-02-2007, 02:02 PM
"Purplexing" wrote:

"Del" wrote:

"Purplexing" wrote:

You are assuming that Birk is the proper height for a center.
He may be a bit too tall, but his superior physical skills, excellent ability to bend for leverage positioning, and mental capacities, may allow him to overcome his, er, tallcomings.

Which would mean talking about Cooks size as a restriction when he has succeeded in the position is even more bullshit. There is no "Proper" height. If you can get the job done, that is enough. Birk does, Cook did in college.

Even mentioning his height just reaks of talking head.

Purplexing
04-02-2007, 02:08 PM
No, it means we would be talking about a LARGER obstacle to overcome by Cook as compared to Birk; i.e. 2 inches larger obstacle (height disadvantage in leverage positioning against the opposing player) than Birk faced.

Birks' superior skills allowed him to overcome his height disadvantage.
Whether Cook might also do so, for two inches greater height, is the natural question.

Del Rio
04-02-2007, 02:13 PM
"Purplexing" wrote:

No, it means we would be talking about a LARGER obstacle to overcome by Cook as compared to Birk; i.e. 2 inches larger obstacle (height disadvantage in leverage positioning against the opposing player) than Birk faced.

Whether Cook might also do so, for two inches greater height, is the natural question.

So Cook's QB's who have had no problem throwing over him are magical. An NFL QB who is far superior to New Mexicos Qb is going to struggle.........

That makes wonderful sense

His height is a moot point.

V-Unit
04-02-2007, 02:15 PM
Del owns this thread. Bow to your sensei Purplexing.

Purplexing
04-02-2007, 02:33 PM
"V-Unit" wrote:

You've made that judgement before I replied to his latest post?
???

Purplexing
04-02-2007, 02:39 PM
"Del" wrote:

"Purplexing" wrote:

So Cook's QB's who have had no problem throwing over him are magical. An NFL QB who is far superior to New Mexicos Qb is going to struggle.........

NFL QBs are superior to New Mexico QBs, but NFL NTs are not superior to collegiate NTs?

:o
???
I'm perplexed.

Cook or Birk would block NTs, who might push their pads under theirs, raising them upright, reducing their pass blocking power via lost leverage.
That also makes them 'taller' and closer to the QB in the pocket.
The angle the QB would need to launch the football under those conditions increases over the case where his center pushed back the NT, or held him steady, at a lower height.

... All of that is more critical than the QBs height.

Wouldn't you agree?

Del Rio
04-02-2007, 02:42 PM
"Purplexing" wrote:

"Del" wrote:

"Purplexing" wrote:

NFL QBs are superior to New Mexico QBs, but NFL NTs are not superior to collegiate NTs?

:o
???
I'm perplexed.

Cook or Birk would block NTs, who might push their pads under theirs, raising them upright, reducing their pass blocking power via lost leverage.

That also makes them 'taller' and closer to the QB in the pocket.

The angle the QB would need to launch the football under those conditions increases over the case where his center pushed back the NT, or held him steady, at a lower height.

... All of that is more critical than the QBs height.

Wouldn't you agree?

Which is known as a bull rush, which childress said Cook is skilled at defending in this very same article.....and again the one solid.....he has had very good success playing center every where he went. No reason to think he cant continue to do so. Especially as something as stupid as 2inches

Del Rio
04-02-2007, 02:51 PM
"Great feet, has an anchor, can sit down and pass protection -- he can stop a bull rush," said Childress"

Sounds like a huge problem to me

Purplexing
04-02-2007, 02:55 PM
For what OL position was Childress critiquing Cook in that quote?

What is his CURRENT position on the OL?

What position were we discussing?

Billy Boy
04-02-2007, 03:03 PM
"davike" wrote:

Where ever he plays I hope he turns out to be a dominant player.

Even if it's with the Packers?
Jerk!
:P

Del Rio
04-02-2007, 03:16 PM
"Purplexing" wrote:

No position

He is listed at C on NFL.com, in the article Childress praised him for being talented to play both.......

Nice try.

Purplexing
04-02-2007, 03:39 PM
"Del" wrote:

"Purplexing" wrote:

No position

He is listed at C on NFL.com, in the article Childress praised him for being talented to play both.......

Nice try.

Yes, it was a nice try.
The quote you provided didn't mention a particular position.
However, as I asked, his current position is RT.
And, he may pactice at Center.
If Childress was praising him for being talented to play both, your quote didn't mention that.

Link?

V-Unit
04-02-2007, 04:16 PM
Bow to your sensei!

BadlandsVikings
04-02-2007, 04:22 PM
"V-Unit" wrote:

Bow to your sensei!

http://www.survivinggrady.com/bow.jpg

cogitans
04-03-2007, 01:51 AM
"V-Unit" wrote:

I'm sorry to budge in on this, as I really have no business.

However I were wondering why people insist to defend Del as he is clearly capable of doing himself.

When people like pp that is a good poster himself takes up a discussion like this, I enjoy the read.

We all know Del is knowledgeable about football, but that doesn't mean that he shouldn't be challenged in his views.

Del Rio
04-03-2007, 06:33 AM
"Purplexing" wrote:

"Del" wrote:

"Purplexing" wrote:

No position

Nice try.

Yes, it was a nice try.
The quote you provided didn't mention a particular position.
However, as I asked, his current position is RT.
And, he may pactice at Center.
If Childress was praising him for being talented to play both, your quote didn't mention that.

Link?

Read the article that this thread is about. He discusses his ability to play both and was happy that he has that versatility.

No need to link it it is on page 1.

You are trying to argue over 2' in height difference when the guy has played center his whole life. Your claim that the QB throws over the center more often then not is false. That is simply not true. The only issue I could even imagine is line of sight and as stated over and over........ it has never been an issue.

Finally Childress has not made mention of his height being an issue one time. At this point we are arguing to argue. I know for a fact that his 2' in height over Birk is not significant. Continue on if you want to up your post count.

Webby
04-03-2007, 07:53 AM
are we done here yet?

Del Rio
04-03-2007, 07:56 AM
"Webby" wrote:

are we done here yet?

Probably not, but if you want us to be done we can be. I really don't think anyone is going to lose any sleep over 2 inches............. well maybe..........

davike
04-03-2007, 09:18 AM
"cogitans" wrote:

"V-Unit" wrote:

However I were wondering why people insist to defend Del as he is clearly capable of doing himself.

When people like pp that is a good poster himself takes up a discussion like this, I enjoy the read.

We all know Del is knowledgeable about football, but that doesn't mean that he shouldn't be challenged in his views.

Did you just say that Del is not the master poster of PP.O?!?! :o

I agree, I don't think that Del needs to be defended, he can take care of himself. He knows a lot about football and has completely kicked my butt on occasions, but as a result of it I learned more about football. I hate it when people just bow to certain people because they have more posts....big deal, challenge if you feel you are right, and argue it, but just don't be to stupid that you can't learn from it.

So the point: Everyone should challenge Del ;)

Marrdro
04-03-2007, 09:47 AM
So the point: Everyone should challenge Del
;D

http://www.neave.com/games/invaders/

You are officially challenged
;D

Purplexing
04-03-2007, 10:16 AM
"are we done yet?"

Not yet.

I re-read the article.
Childress praised Cook.
But he didn't praise him as a center.

Childress praised Cook's ability to play effectively at OT and C.
He also provided some insight into his strengths, which Del Rio mentioned several times, and some weaknesses which he needs to work on.

I agree Cook will be a good, if not great, OL.
But I am not sure he will be a great Center.
My points are based on pro scout criticisms, not provided in the article, that Cook is a bit too tall to play center, due to leverage issues.

There is no disagreement between Del Rio and I over the major issue that Cook will be a great OL.
There is a difference of opinion as to his POTENTIAL to be a great Center.

Birk is likely to be around for a few more years.
So, due to OL coaches' tendency to not fix things that ain't broken, and their bias against tall centers, Cook won't likely get an opportunity to play center as a starter.

I think Cook will thrive at RT, and the Vikings will abandon the idea of replacing Birk with Cook in 4-5 years, opting to draft a young C in a few years, instead of moving a very good RT inside.

OK, I'm done now.
:)

davike
04-03-2007, 10:36 AM
"Marrdro" wrote:

;D

;D

ahh so this is what you do at work marrdro :D

Marrdro
04-03-2007, 10:40 AM
"davike" wrote:

"Marrdro" wrote:

;D

;D

ahh so this is what you do at work marrdro :D

Among other things.

I find it funny that sometimes what is on here mirrors my issues at work.....

Today we are doing integration testing of some networks that will be going over to the sandbox and guess what they brought with them.
VIRUSES
:o.

Take a look at the thread "Computer Help".
Ironic isn't it
;D

cogitans
04-03-2007, 12:33 PM
"davike" wrote:

"cogitans" wrote:

"V-Unit" wrote:

I agree, I don't think that Del needs to be defended, he can take care of himself. He knows a lot about football and has completely kicked my butt on occasions, but as a result of it I learned more about football. I hate it when people just bow to certain people because they have more posts....big deal, challenge if you feel you are right, and argue it, but just don't be to stupid that you can't learn from it.

Just like I said. We should kick Del's ass on a consistent basis.

Del Rio
04-03-2007, 12:47 PM
"cogitans" wrote:

"davike" wrote:

"cogitans" wrote:

"V-Unit" wrote:

I thought that was policy......see Del's post....ignore what is said.....make shit up....kick Del's ass

V-Unit
04-03-2007, 03:08 PM
"Del" wrote:

"cogitans" wrote:

"davike" wrote:

"cogitans" wrote:

"V-Unit" wrote:

I thought that was policy......see Del's post....ignore what is said.....make shit up....kick Del's ass

I didn't tell him to bow because it was Del. I told him to bow because I felt Del was obviously right: Height means poo in this situation.

Had Plexing and Del switched stances, I would have told Del to bow to his sensei.
So in summary: Bow to your Sensei, not whoever haws more posts.